Aug 05, 2020
Which Schools Can Apply For In-Person Class Waivers?
This news has been received from: cbslocal.com
All trademarks, copyrights, videos, photos and logos are owned by respective news sources. News stories, videos and live streams are from trusted sources.
SACRAMENTO (CBS13) — California released new guidance Monday on the waiver process that will allow elementary schools to apply to return to the classroom, even if they’re in counties on the state’s monitoring list.
However, the waivers are limited to transitional-kindergarten through sixth-grade classes, and not every elementary school or district will be eligible to apply.
In July, Governor Newsom announced that schools in counties on the state’s monitoring list could not return to in-person classes until the county was off the list for 14 days. Counties are added to the list if they have a 14-day case rate of more than 100 cases per 100,000 people.
Now, elementary schools in those counties can apply for a waiver to open in person. The threshold for school waivers is double the monitoring list threshold. Counties must have fewer than 200 cases per 100,000 people to even consider a waiver for in-person classes.
Right now, at least 22 counties on the state’s watch list meet those criteria. Some counties like Placer, Sacramento, Yolo and Yuba counties appear to be well below the 200-case threshold based on the state’s most recent watch list data.
|County||Cases Per 100,000|
Others, like Sutter County, are right on the cusp to the 200-case limit. Many counties, like Stanislaus and San Joaquin counties, are well above the waiver threshold so schools there couldn’t apply.
However, there is a caveat to all of these numbers. As of Tuesday, August 4th, the state’s watch list data included a notation that stated it was last updated on August 1st.
On Tuesday, we learned that technical issues may be causing under-reporting of coronavirus cases state-wide. So, it’s possible that some counties may have a higher 14-day case rate data once the numbers are updated.
According to county health officers, the state has said that no counties are coming on or off the watch list until the issue is resolved.
Between Yolo, Placer and Sacramento counties, CBS13 has learned that dozens of private and charter schools expressed interest in applying for waivers ahead of the guidance released Monday. The expectation is that more schools will apply.
However, even though many public schools had announced plans to offer at least part-time in-person learning in the fall, the counties tell us they had not heard from any public school districts as of Tuesday evening.
News Source: cbslocal.com
Trump campaign to appeal dismissal of election lawsuit in Pennsylvania
President Trump’s legal team has filed paperwork to appeal a federal judge’s ruling that struck down the campaign’s attempt to stop votes being certified in Pennsylvania.
Attorneys for the Trump campaign filed a notice of appeal to the US Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit on Sunday — a day before Pennsylvania’s 67 counties were set to certify their results and send them to state officials.
Judge Matthew Brann dismissed the campaign’s lawsuit Saturday.
The suit had sought to throw out millions of votes in the Keystone State, claiming election officials in heavily Democratic counties violated the equal protections clause under the Constitution by allowing voters to fix mail-in ballots that had problems — while mostly-Republican counties had not alerted voters about faulty ballots.
Pennsylvania Secretary of State Kathy Boockvar and the seven counties that the campaign sued countered that Trump had previously raised similar claims and lost — and that the proposed tossing of millions of votes over isolated issues was too extreme.
In his ruling, Brann said that he “has no authority to take away the right to vote of even a single person, let alone millions of citizens.”
The judge issued an order allowing Pennsylvania to move forward with certifying its election results, which show President-elect Joe Biden winning the state by more than 80,000 votes.
EPA/JIM LO SCALZO
Photo by Drew Angerer/Getty ImagesAd Up Next Close
View SlideshowBack Continue Share this:
Trump attorneys Rudy Giuliani and Jenna Ellis had welcomed the suit’s dismissal in a statement late Saturday, saying it would allow them to get the case to the US Supreme Court more quickly.
“Today’s decision turns out to help us in our strategy to get expeditiously to the US Supreme Court,” the statement said.
The president also lashed out at Brann in a tweet late Saturday, writing that “It’s all a continuation of the never ending Witch Hunt.”
“Judge Brann, who would not even allow us to present our case or evidence, is a product of Senator Pat ‘No Tariffs’ Toomey of Pennsylvania, no friend of mine, & Obama – No wonder,” Trump said on Twitter.
“WILL APPEAL!” he added in another tweet.
With Post wiresFiled under 2020 presidential election , lawsuits , pennsylvania , 11/22/20