This news has been received from: usnews.com

All trademarks, copyrights, videos, photos and logos are owned by respective news sources. News stories, videos and live streams are from trusted sources.

By Samia Nakhoul and Ellen Francis

BEIRUT (Reuters) - Lebanon mourned on Thursday the victims of the most powerful blast to hit the country that was already being crushed by an economic crisis, as rescuers searched for those missing since the explosion that flattened Beirut port and devastated the city.

French President Emmanuel Macron, making the first visit by a foreign leader since Tuesday's blast which killed at least 137 people and injured 5,000, was due to arrive in Beirut later on Thursday along with specialist rescue personnel and equipment.

Dozens are missing and up to a quarter of a million people were left without homes fit to live in after shockwaves smashed building facades, sucked furniture out into streets and shattered windows miles inland.

Officials expect the death toll to rise.

Prime Minister Hassan Diab declared three days of mourning from Thursday for victims of the explosion, the most devastating ever to hit the city that is still scarred by civil war three decades ago and reeling from a financial meltdown and surge in coronavirus cases.

Officials have blamed the disaster on a huge stockpile of highly explosive material held for years at the port in unsafe conditions. The government has ordered port officials to be put under house arrest, ministerial sources told Reuters.

But Lebanese, who have lost jobs and watched savings evaporate in the financial crisis, blamed politicians who have overseen and benefited from decades of state corruption and bad governance.

"They will scapegoat somebody to defer responsibility," said Rabee Azar, a 33-year-old construction worker who came to the port on Thursday morning to try to start repairs. "This explosion was final bullet to kill off the country."

"Nothing will come of the investigation. Nobody will believe them," said Azar, speaking near the smashed remains of a grain silo where tonnes of wheat was scattered on the ground.

'NEGLIGENCE'

President Michel Aoun said 2,750 tonnes of ammonium nitrate, used in fertilisers and bombs, had been stored for six years at the port after it was seized. He promised a thorough investigation and to hold those responsible to account.

An official source familiar with preliminary investigations blamed the incident on "inaction and negligence", saying "nothing was done" to remove hazardous material.

Some local media reported sightings of drones or planes flying in the area shortly before the explosion and some Beirut residents said they saw missiles fired. But officials have denied the incident was the result of an attack.

A Lebanese security source said the initial blaze that sparked the explosion was caused by welding work.

White House Chief of Staff Mark Meadows said the U.S. government had not ruled out the possibility that Tuesday's explosion was an attack and was still gathering intelligence.

People who felt the explosive force said they had witnessed nothing comparable in years of conflict and upheaval in Beirut, which was devastated by the 1975-1990 civil war and since then has experienced big bomb attacks, unrest and a war with Israel.

"First we heard one sound. Seconds later there was a big explosion. All hell broke loose," said Ibrahim Zoobi, who works near the port. "I saw people thrown five or six metres."

He said those in the port district "were burned or charred".

Health officials reported that hospitals were running out of beds and equipment to attend to the injured.

Beirut Governor Marwan Abboud told Al Hadath TV total losses from the blast could reach $15 billion, including losses to businesses amid the broader fallout.

Operations have been paralysed at Beirut port, Lebanon's main route for imports needed to feed a nation of more than 6 million people, forcing ships to be diverted to smaller ports.

The World Bank said on Wednesday it would work with Lebanon's partners to mobilise public and private financing for reconstruction and recovery. But it was unclear what impact this would have on the country difficult negotiations with the International Monetary Fund.

(Reporting by Samia Nakhoul, Ellen Francis and Ghaida Ghantous; Writing by Dominic Evans; Editing by Edmund Blair)

Copyright 2020 Thomson Reuters.

News Source: usnews.com

Tags: news countries news the explosion

WATCH: CNN’s Brianna Keilar Slams Trump’s Tone Deaf and ‘Outdated’ 1950s Views of Suburban Women: Its 2020! Lassie Is Not Coming to Save Us!

Next News:

Porn star Ron Jeremy pleads not guilty to seven new rape charges

Adult film star Ron Jeremy pleaded not guilty Wednesday to new charges of rape and sexual assault involving six victims, including a teenage girl, prosecutors said.

Jeremy, 67, entered the pleas to seven additional charges including three of forcible rape, according to a statement from the Los Angeles County district attorney’s office.

The new charges involve alleged attacks dating from 1996 to 2013 on victims ranging in age from 17 to 38, prosecutors said.

The 17-year-old was raped at a Woodland Hills home in 2008, prosecutors contend.

The other alleged victims include a 19-year-old woman who was raped during a photo shoot in the San Fernando Valley; a 26-year-old woman who was raped at a party in a nightclub; a 38-year-old who was sexually assaulted at a West Hollywood bar where Jeremy was a regular; a woman who was sexually assaulted at Jeremy’s home and a woman who was assaulted at a strip club.

Jeremy is now facing a total of 35 charges involving 23 alleged victims, including a 15-year-old girl. The attacks occurred from 1996 to 2020, authorities contend.

Nicknamed “The Hedgehog,” Jeremy has been among the best-known and most prolific performers in the adult film industry since the 1970s.

Jeremy, whose legal name is Ronald Jeremy Hyatt, was investigated and charged by a district attorney’s task force formed to take on sexual misconduct in the entertainment industry as the #MeToo era gained momentum in late 2017.

He has been held in jail on $6.6 million bail since June.

If convicted of all charges, Jeremy could face a sentence of more than 330 years to life in state prison.

Other News

  • US Marshals recover 45 missing children, arrest 179 in human trafficking sting Operation Autumn Hope
  • US to use Iranian fuel sale proceeds to aid terror victims
  • How Your Coronavirus Thanksgiving Will Be a Blast AND Save You Money
  • Vietnam troops hunt for survivors after devastating typhoon
  • William Pervis McNeill Jr. Charged In Baltimore County Rape Case, Police Seeking Other Possible Victims
  • Second stockpile surge? Grocery stores, manufacturers prepare as COVID-19 cases spike
  • AccuWeather Alert: Tropical rains and then a wintry blast
  • Pope Francis Condemns ‘Savage’ Islamist Terror Attack in French Church
  • Second stockpile surge? Grocery stores, manufacturers prepare as COVID cases spike
  • Israel-Lebanon maritime talks productive, mediators say
  • Israel, Lebanon Agree to Resume Border Talks Next Month
  • Kangana Ranaut Hosts Dinner for Tejas Director Sarvesh Mewara and They Have a Blast (Watch Video)
  • Feds: Agents Find More Victims Of Elizabeth Pimp Who Beat, Raped Out-Of-State Escorts
  • Several Fire Crews Respond To House Explosion In Clarion County
  • Weld County Man Faces Up To 240 Years In Prison After Injuring Deputy With Shotgun Blast
  • 60 charged in $300 million telemarketing scam that ensnared over 150,000 elderly victims
  • We Dont Want You in the Inner Circle Sammy Guevara and Ortiz Blast MJF Before Full Gear
  • FROM THE ARCHIVES: A look back at devastating Oakland Hills firestorm in 1991
  • Lakers Veteran Puts Heat on Blast Over Trash Talk