Aug 11, 2020
Nonprofit seeks to increase outreach among New York City homeless amid pandemic
This news has been received from: amny.com
All trademarks, copyrights, videos, photos and logos are owned by respective news sources. News stories, videos and live streams are from trusted sources.
Sign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York City
The fire that destroyed a homeless encampment in Chelsea and sent one man to the hospital earlier this month is just one example of the dangers facing homeless New Yorkers every day in the city, according to nonprofit New York City Relief.
Those dangers are now being made worse with the COVID-19 pandemic, and the related economic downturn and the nightly closures of subways.
New York City Relief has stationed to a mobile-outreach station to provide New Yorkers experiencing homelessness with extra support during the pandemic at Chelsea Park, which is just blocks away from the site of the blaze.
On Wednesdays, from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. those in need can receive food, personal protective equipment, personal hygiene products and help with getting COVID-19 financial relief.With the help of the mobile outreach unit, the nonprofit has also been able to provide over 320 nights of hotel stays to homeless New Yorkers, according to a statement, and has delivered thousands of meals, hygiene kits, PPE, and mobile phones. New York City Relief has five mobile outreach locations in NYC: Wednesday: Chelsea Park, 28th St. (between 9th and 10th Ave.). 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Thursday: The Bowery Mission, 227 Bowery, noon to 2 p.m. Friday: The Salvation Army near Union Square, 132 14th St., 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday: East Harlem, Park Ave. (between 124th and 125th Streets) 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.; and South Bronx, Brooke Ave. (between 147th and 148th Streets), 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
News Source: amny.com
Tags: new york city
Kentucky AG seeks delay in release of grand jury recordings
The Kentucky attorney general is seeking a one-week delay in the release of the grand jury recordings in the Breonna Taylor case to protect the interest of witnesses, particularly private citizens named in them, according to a report.
In the motion filed in court Tuesday, AG Daniel Cameron’s office wants to “redact personal identifiers of any named person, and to redact both names and personal identifiers of any private citizen,” the Courier-Journal reported.
Attorneys for former Louisville Detective Brett Hankison — the only officer charged in the death of the 26-year-old EMT during the botched raid — agreed with the delay, according to Cameron’s office.
His spokeswoman Elizabeth Kuhn told the paper Wednesday morning that the audio recording is 20 hours long and that the office filed the motion to request more time “to redact personally identifiable information of witnesses, including addresses and phone numbers.”
She said the judge is expected to rule on the motion later Wednesday.
Hankison is charged with wanton endangerment for shooting through Taylor’s window during the March 13 raid, with the bullets going into an occupied neighboring apartment.
Hankison, Sgt. Jon Mattingly and Detective Myles Cosgrove busted into Taylor’s apartment with a narcotics warrant and exchanged gunfire with her boyfriend, Kenneth Walker, but she was fatally struck.
On Monday, an unidentified juror filed a court motion seeking the release of the grand jury materials so “the truth may prevail.”
The motion accused Cameron of using the grand jurors “as a shield to deflect accountability and responsibility” for his decisions.Protesters march through downtown Louisville after a grand jury decided not to bring homicide charges against police officers involved in the fatal shooting of Breonna TaylorREUTERS
The AG said the grand jury agreed the officers fired in self-defense after Walker fired at them and noted that “the only charge recommended (to the grand jury) was wanton endangerment.”
Cameron said he would comply with the release of the grand jury recording, but that he was still concerned it could compromise the federal probe and could taint the jury pool.
Meanwhile, the attorney general told WDRB News that his office did not give the grand jury the option to consider murder or even lesser charges against Mattingly and Cosgrove in Taylor’s death, saying it was “not appropriate.”
“They’re an independent body. If they wanted to make an assessment about different charges, they could have done that,” he told the news outlet. “But our recommendation was that Mattingly and Cosgrove were justified in their acts and their conduct.”Filed under Breonna Taylor , kentucky , louisville , police shootings , 9/30/20