Sep 16, 2020
ATT could offer ad-subsidized phone plans starting next year
This news has been received from: newsbrig.com
All trademarks, copyrights, videos, photos and logos are owned by respective news sources. News stories, videos and live streams are from trusted sources.
AT&T is looking into the possibility of offering cellphone plans subsidized in part by advertisements, company CEO John Stankey told Reuters in an interview. Subscribers will still have to pay the bigger chunk of their bill, but Stankey said he believes there’s a segment of AT&T’s customer base “where given a choice, they would take some load of advertising for a $5 or $10 reduction in their mobile bill.” The CEO also revealed that the carrier could introduce the subsidized plans in a year or two.
There are other companies already offering ad-subsidized products, such as Amazon with its Kindles and phones. Stankey didn’t go into the nitty-gritty of how the offer would work, but based on what he revealed during the interview, it sounds like AT&T plans to serve individual customers with targeted advertisements. The ad-supported version of HBO Max launching next year will serve as key to the new phone plans, since it will provide the company with new advertising inventory. Apparently, the carrier’s engineers are creating “unified customer identifiers” that would allow marketers to recognize users across devices to serve them with relevant ads.
News Source: newsbrig.com
Top Mueller prosecutor Andrew Weissmann denies mishandling phone evidence
Andrew Weissmann denied mishandling his government-issued phones after recently released documents showed devices belonging to him and other members of former special counsel Robert Mueller's team were "wiped" for various reasons.
The former Justice Department official addressed the disclosure, which has outraged Republicans who suspect there was a cover-up in the Russia investigation, for the first time when MSNBC's Ari Melber addressed it at the end of an interview focused, in part, on U.S. Attorney John Durham's criminal inquiry into misconduct by federal law enforcement and intelligence officials who were examining links between President Trump's 2016 campaign and the Kremlin.
"I know I didn’t, and I’m confident that my colleagues didn’t either," Weissmann said when asked a second time whether he did anything improper with phone evidence.
Thanks to a Freedom of Information Act lawsuit, conservative watchdog group Judicial Watch received 87 pages of partially redacted Justice Department records earlier this month that raised news questions about the Russia investigation.
Senate Finance Committee Chairman Chuck Grassley wrote to the Justice Department and FBI, saying the deletions call "into question whether or not it was a widespread intentional effort.” Sen. Ron Johnson, a Wisconsin Republican who is the chairman of the homeland security panel, asked the Justice Department inspector general to investigate the deletions.
The records show that Weissmann said he accidentally wiped the data from his government-issued phones two separate times. Notes from March 3, 2018, show that he “entered password too many times and wiped his phone,” and records on Sept. 27, 2018, indicate that he “accidentally wiped cell phone — data lost.” The Justice Department notes recount similar issues related to information being wiped from phones belonging to Mueller prosecutors Greg Andres, Kyle Freeny, L. Rush Atkinson, and James Quarles.
Many other names are redacted, but the notes show similar instances of Mueller team member phones being "wiped" for various reasons, including forgotten passwords and incorrect passwords being entered too many times. In some cases, the phones were set to airplane mode.Andrew Weissmann. (AP Photo/Pat Sullivan, File)
Critics of Mueller's efforts, including Fox Business anchor Maria Bartiromo, have been quick to point out that obstructing an investigation by knowingly deleting records is a federal crime punishable by up to 20 years in prison. However, there is documented evidence of issues with government phones given to investigators, particularly those given to former FBI agent Peter Strzok and former FBI lawyer Lisa Page, whose anti-Trump text messages became fuel for Trump and his allies to dub the Russia investigation a "witch hunt."
Justice Department Inspector General Michael Horowitz released a report in late 2018 that said there were technical problems that made it difficult to recover and review the text messages exchanged between Strzok and Page, who were integral members of the investigations into Hillary Clinton's private email server and ties between the Trump campaign and Russia, on their government-issued phones. Still, the independent watchdog noted there was "no evidence" that they "attempted to circumvent the FBI's text message collection capabilities."
Weissmann, who is now an MSNBC legal analyst, said he will talk more about the phone deletion controversy this week as he embarks on a media tour for his new book, Where Law Ends: Inside the Mueller Investigation, which makes the case that the special counsel investigation "made mistakes" and "could have done more."
In the meantime, he challenged journalists to ask questions of the Justice Department.
"I think one thing I would ask reporters like you to do is to ask the Department of Justice to speak about all of the processes that were in place in the Mueller investigation to lock down and back up all written and electronic records," he told Melber. "Because I’m quite suspect that the Department of Justice is actually sitting on that information as opposed to coming out with it, which I think that would go a long way to debunk these stories."
The Washington Examiner reached out to the Justice Department for comment on Monday and has not received a response.News Robert Mueller Russia Justice Department