Sep 16, 2020
‘I Am Vanessa Guillen’ bill calls for change to reports of sexual harassment in the military
This news has been received from: ksat.com
All trademarks, copyrights, videos, photos and logos are owned by respective news sources. News stories, videos and live streams are from trusted sources.
FORT HOOD, Texas – A bill named for slain Fort Hood soldier Vanessa Guillen that would change how the military responds to missing service members and make sexual harassment a crime in the military is officially being introduced in Washington, DC on Wednesday.
Guillen was a 20-year-old Army specialist who disappeared in April.
Following her disappearance, a nationwide search was launched in an effort to find her which included the support of celebrities like Selma Hayek.
Partial human remains were found June 30 along the Leon River during the search and were confirmed to be Guillen’s on July 6 by Fort Hood Senior Commander, Maj. Gen. Scott Efflandt.
Natalie Khawam, the Guillen family’s attorney, has previous stated that the family is pushing for legislation in Guillen’s name that would provide “a separate agency, something like the EOC (Equal Employment Opportunity Commission) in the private practice world. It would have an independent person, not part of the command, not part of the military, that’s unbiased. A different set of eyes.”
According to an update on the Find Vanessa Guillen Facebook page, the “I Am Vanessa Guillen” bill will be introduced Wednesday.
“The bill responds to resounding calls for change by revolutionizing the military’s response to missing service members and reports of sexual harassment-assault by making sexual harassment a crime within the uniform code of military justice and moving prosecution decisions of sexual assault and sexual harassment cases out of the chain of command,” one post reads.
Be the voice, Be the change ! Demand Justice For Vanessa Guillén Tomorrow, Wednesday September 16 will be the...Posted by Find Vanessa Guillen on Tuesday, September 15, 2020
A gruesome affidavit previously release from the FBI details the investigation surrounding the death of specialist Guillen.
The two suspects in Guillen’s death have been identified as 22-year-old Cecily Aguilar, who has been charged with one count of conspiracy to tamper with evidence, and 20-year-old Army Specialist Aaron Robinson, who fatally shot himself in Killeen in June.
U.S. Army officials said July 2 that a criminal investigation has not found any link between Guillen’s disappearance and sexual harassment allegations.
However, Efflandt said “to the victims of sexual harassment and assault, we hear you, we believe you and I encourage you to come forward. The Army will not stop its efforts to eradicate sexual harassment and assault until it no longer exists in our formations, because that’s the Army standard.”
A report from the El Paso Times states that Efflandt was removed from his post at Fort Hood on Sept. 1. “Army officials said Efflandt was supposed to take command of a division at Fort Bliss in El Paso in the near future, but was denied that position as well.”
More stories related to Vanessa Guillen’s disappearance:
- No link found between Vanessa Guillen’s disappearance, sexual harassment allegations, senior military officials say
- Vanessa Guillen killed with hammer, body dismembered and burned, affidavit says
- Body found believed to be Vanessa Guillen’s, suspect killed himself, family attorney says
- Army suspects foul play in Fort Hood soldier’s disappearance, congresswoman says
- Human remains found near Central Texas river during search for Fort Hood soldier Vanessa Guillen
- Man wanted in connection to Fort Hood criminal investigation fatally shoots self, Killeen police say
Copyright 2020 by KSAT - All rights reserved.
News Source: ksat.com
Tags: back to school consumer saq trust index crime bexar facts weather 101 weather history spurs nfl college sports high school scholar athlete coronavirus trending ksat kids things to do fiesta selena cool schools big adventure recipes meet the cast texas eats newscasts ksat explains ksat tv extra texas eats broken blue leading sa something good originals conviction in the shadows hispanic heritage month coronavirus coronavirus vanessa guillen fort hood military army missing soldier vanessa guillen fort hood military army missing soldier vanessa guillen guillen guillen sexual harassment a vanessa guillen s disappearance the military
Harvey Weinstein stripped of UK royal honor by Queen Elizabeth II
Harvey Weinstein was stripped of his British honorary award by Queen Elizabeth II.
On Friday, the disgraced movie mogul had his honorary CBE award recognizing his contribution to the U.K. film industry removed.
Accusations by dozens of women in 2017 led to the end of his career and helped spur #MeToo — a global movement demanding that powerful men be held accountable for their sexual misconduct.
HARVEY WEINSTEIN'S EXTRADITION HEARING FOR SEX CRIME CHARGES IN LOS ANGELES DELAYED
Harvey Weinstein was convicted earlier this year of rape and sexual assault against two women and sentenced to 23 years in prison. (AP Photo/Seth Wenig)
“The Queen has directed that the appointment of Harvey Weinstein to be an Honorary Commander of the Civil Division of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire, dated January 19, 2004, shall be cancelled and annulled and that his name shall be erased from the Register of the said Order,” according to a notice in The Gazette, the U.K.’s official public record.
The forfeiture committee can remove an honor with the approval of the Queen.
CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP
Once one of the most powerful people in Hollywood, Weinstein co-founded the Miramax production company, and its credits include “The English Patient,” “Good Will Hunting” and “Shakespeare In Love.”
The Associated Press contributed to this report.