Sep 16, 2020
Maria Taylor feels like a queen after ESPN colleagues support
This news has been received from: New York Post
All trademarks, copyrights, videos, photos and logos are owned by respective news sources. News stories, videos and live streams are from trusted sources.
ESPN’s Maria Taylor is feeling the love after an eventful few days.
On Tuesday, the sports reporter received a beautiful bouquet of flowers from her colleagues during ESPN’s “NBA Countdown”, hours after she shut down Chicago radio host Dan McNeil for tweeting a crude comment about her “Monday Night Football” ensemble.View this post on Instagram
A post shared by Maria Taylor (@mariataylor) on Sep 15, 2020 at 5:33pm PDT
“The people who fuel me,” Taylor began on Instagram. “Are the people who support me. The only people who can effect me are the people who love me. I’m SO thankful for my NBA Countdown family. Once again you’ve lifted me up over a hurdle. And made me feel like a Queen. Let’s go crush the Finals.”see also
During Monday night’s broadcast of the New York Giants’ home opener against the Pittsburgh Steelers, McNeil tweeted a screenshot of Taylor at MetLife Stadium, writing: “NFL sideline reporter or a host for the AVN (Adult Video News) annual awards presentation?” The tweet was deleted about a half-hour later.
Entercom confirmed Tuesday that McNeil had been fired from his post at The Score.
“For each one of us our words have power,” Rachel Williamson, regional president for Entercom, told Deadspin in a statement.
“For our brands and on-air personalities that is amplified and brings increased responsibility how we choose to use our voices. (Monday) night’s tweet, and its degrading and humiliating tone to a fellow female broadcaster, was unacceptable.
“We have the best teams in Chicago, and we must continue to hold ourselves to high expectations to continue to be leaders in our organization, our industry and our community. We apologize to all who were offended by Dan’s words, especially Maria.”Filed under espn , maria taylor , sports media , 9/16/20
News Source: New York Post
Trump To Send $13 Billion In Aid To Puerto Rico, Still Struggling In Aftermath Of 2017s Hurricane Maria
The Trump administration is sending an additional $13 billion in aid to Puerto Rico to assist the still ongoing recovery efforts Friday after the U.S. territory was devastated by Hurricane Maria in 2017.
White House Press Secretary Kayleigh McEnany said the aid is the largest disaster relief grant from FEMA in history, aside from Hurricanes Katrina and Sandy. Trump was criticized by Puerto Rico leaders for his response to the hurricane at the time, but the current governor Wanda Vázquez Garced tweeted thanks to the president Friday. (RELATED: Is Puerto Rico’s Death Toll From Hurricane Maria Even HIGHER Than We Thought?)
“Federal funding of $9.6 billion will allow the Puerto Rico Electrical Power Authority to repair and replace thousands of miles of transmission and distribution lines, electrical substations, power generation systems, office buildings and make other grid improvements. The $2 billion grant for the Puerto Rico Department of Education will focus on restoring school buildings and educational facilities across the island,” McEnany said.
TOPSHOT – US President Donald Trump throws a paper towel roll as he visits the Cavalry Chapel in Guaynabo, Puerto Rico on October 3, 2017. (MANDEL NGAN/AFP via Getty Images)
Hurricane Maria killed more than 1,400 people in Puerto Rico, a number almost 20 times higher than initial reports indicated, according to a follow up report the territory’s government released in August of 2018.
“Although the official death count from the Puerto Rico Department of Public Safety was initially 64, the toll appears to be much higher,” the report noted. “That estimate was later revised to 1,427.”
Trump has criticized the island’s leaders as corrupt in the years since the storm, suggesting they didn’t use congressional aid funds properly.
Puerto Rico is one of the most corrupt places on earth. Their political system is broken and their politicians are either Incompetent or Corrupt. Congress approved Billions of Dollars last time, more than anyplace else has ever gotten, and it is sent to Crooked Pols. No good!….
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) August 28, 2019