This news has been received from: newsbrig.com

All trademarks, copyrights, videos, photos and logos are owned by respective news sources. News stories, videos and live streams are from trusted sources.

By Jonathan Stempel and Jody Godoy

NEW YORK, Sept 16 (Reuters) – A U.S. judge on Wednesday forcefully rebuked federal prosecutors for a series of failures, including withholding exculpatory evidence, that led to the dismissal of an indictment against a banker who had been convicted of Iran sanctions violations.

U.S. District Judge Alison Nathan in Manhattan said prosecutors in the U.S. Attorney’s Office in Manhattan repeatedly violated their disclosure obligations and made misleading statements in their case against Ali Sadr Hashemi Nejad.

While the office ultimately admitted its mistakes, Nathan faulted its leadership for failing to “unequivocally condemn” the “significant errors” or ensure the Department of Justice’s Office of Professional Responsibility would look into the matter, including whether prosecutors acted in bad faith.

A spokesman for Acting U.S. Attorney Audrey Strauss in Manhattan declined to comment.

The decision is a black eye for the Manhattan U.S. Attorney’s office, long known for the quality of its lawyers, its independence from Washington, and its prosecution of high-profile cases involving Wall Street and other financial crimes, government corruption and terrorism.

“Those who stand up in court every day on behalf of that office get the benefit of that reputation – but they also have the responsibility to maintain it,” Nathan wrote.

“The Court commends the USAO’s admission of error and effort to do justice in this case by agreeing to dismiss the indictment,” she added. “Better late than never.”

Jurors convicted Sadr on March 16, after prosecutors had accused him in 2018 of using foreign companies to funnel $115 million through the U.S. banking system to Iran, in connection with a Venezuelan construction project.

The case disintegrated after prosecutors disclosed their inadequate disclosures to Sadr.

Revelations included an email where a prosecutor suggested the government “bury” a key document in a stack of other documents, and the improper use of a state-issued warrant to search for evidence of possible federal crimes.

Story continues

Nathan dismissed the case on July 16 after Strauss’ predecessor Geoffrey Berman wrote “it would not be in the interests of justice” to continue prosecuting Sadr.

The judge ordered that prosecutors in Strauss’ office read her decision, and called for better training to ensure they understood their disclosure obligations and the limits of search warrants for digital evidence.

In a joint statement, Sadr’s lawyers Reid Weingarten and Brian Heberlig called their client “an honest businessman and patriotic U.S. immigrant who did not deserve the mistreatment he received from the U.S. government,” and said Nathan “correctly called out the prosecutors” for denying him a fair trial. (Reporting by Jonathan Stempel and Jody Godoy in New York; Editing by Tom Brown)

News Source: newsbrig.com

Donald Trump: Salon Owner Who Turned in Nancy Pelosi Can Do My Hair Anytime

Next News:

Ukraine Warns Russia on Belarus Interference as UK Flags Sanctions

GENEVA (Reuters) - Ukraine's foreign minister warned Russia on Friday against taking steps that undermine may undermine Belarus' sovereignty and destabilise the region, while Britain called for sanctions on those in Belarus responsible for the "fraudulent elections".

Dmytro Kuleba, speaking at an urgent debate on Belarus at the U.N. Human Rights Council, he said: "It is heartbreaking to watch the footage of our close neighbours viciously beaten down and arbitrarily detained on the streets of their native cities."

"We warn the Russian Federation against taking steps that may lead to undermining political sovereignty of Belarus and thus destabilizing the wider region," he said.

Wendy Morton, Britain's junior foreign minister, told the talks: "The UK also supports sanctions against those responsible. We are working with our international partners to hold the Belarusian authorities to account."

(Reporting by Stephanie Nebehay; Editing by Toby Chopra)

Copyright 2020 Thomson Reuters.

Other News

  • US versus the world over snapback option
  • Trump administration to attempt to reimpose UN sanctions on Iran despite international opposition
  • Nathan Mcdonald Sentenced To Over 30 Years In Prison For 2019 Fatal Shooting Of Lawrence Renfro
  • Britain, France, Germany Say U.N. Sanctions Relief for Iran to Continue Beyond Sept 20
  • ‘We were flabbergasted’: New report says Jared Kushner’s conduct stunned attendees at a COVID-19 meeting
  • Ex-Arsenal kid Nathan Tormey on trial with Steven Gerrard’s Rangers after 20-year-old rejected new Gunners deal
  • Trump blasts 1619 Project on role of Black Americans and proposes his own "1776 commission"
  • Judge blasts bankrupt Hertzs offensive plan to pay big bonuses
  • France: EU sanctions on Turkey an option over gas standoff
  • Turkeys Halkbank urges dismissal of Iran sanctions criminal case in U.S.
  • Trump eyes order sanctioning arms trade with Iran ahead of embargo expiration: Report
  • Prosecutors Open Homicide Case After Hacker Attack on German Hospital
  • The Prosecutors Office maintains control of the residences of the Valencian Community in the face of the rebound in coronavirus cases
  • Lebanese firm under U.S. sanctions accuses Washington of choking economy
  • YNW Melly Death Penalty: Prosecutors Want Death Sentence in Florida Shooting Case
  • Polish President Considering Imposing Sanctions on Belarus, Lithuania Says
  • Pedo, 35, with HIV had sex with girl, 12, after grooming her on Snapchat and finding home using app’s location feature
  • In Bumpy U.N. Dealings, Trump Found Backing on North Korea, Isolation on Iran
  • Police say Michigan man used Snapchat to find and have sex with a 12-year-old — and he exposed her to HIV