Sep 17, 2020
Lancaster judge to revisit $1 million bail set for accused rioters
This news has been received from: New York Post
All trademarks, copyrights, videos, photos and logos are owned by respective news sources. News stories, videos and live streams are from trusted sources.
A Lancaster County, Pa., judge is expected to revisit the whopping $1 million bail set for each of several accused rioters after some of them hired private attorneys and filed petitions protesting the amount, according to a report on Wednesday.
“I want all the defendants to be treated equally, so I tried to procure attorneys for all of them, so they could all have bail hearings at the same time,” Roth said.
The cases are being revisited in response to bail petitions filed by some of the defendants who hired private attorneys, Roth told the website in an email.
The judge had set bail at $1 million for at least nine of the 13 people arrested early Monday during protests over the police shooting of Ricardo Munoz. They are charged with a slew of felonies and misdemeanors including arson, riot, vandalism and criminal conspiracy.
The father of Kathryn Patterson — one of the accused rioters and a Kappa Delta sorority sister — blasted the amount his daughter was being held in jail on as “vindictive” in an interview with The Post on Wednesday.
“[I’m] completely floored. It’s really just vindictive,” Chip Patterson said. “You want to have faith in the system because it’s the only one we have and then you experience this. I understand why my daughter would protest in the first place.”
Social justice advocacy groups also decried the bail amount as excessive. Pennsylvania Lt. Gov. John Fetterman went as far as to call it “unconstitutional.”Filed under bail , pennsylvania , protests , riots , 9/16/20
News Source: New York Post
California governor signs law forbidding first responders from taking photographs following death of Kobe Bryant
The law, which takes effect on Jan. 1, will make it a misdemeanor crime for anyone who "responds to the scene of an accident or crime" to take a photograph of a deceased person for any purpose unrelated to law enforcement or the "genuine public interest."
First responders convicted of violating the law could face fines of up to $1,000 per offense.
The legislation was drafted after eight deputies from the Los Angeles Sheriff's Office were placed under investigation after photographs of Bryant's remains were shared after he died alongside his 13-year-old daughter and seven others while en route to a basketball tournament earlier this year. At the time, Sheriff Alex Villanueva said that he was "horrified" to hear that his deputies were accused of sharing the photographs and ordered them to be deleted.
The incident prompted a lawsuit from Bryant's widow, Vanessa Bryant. The lawsuit, which was filed last week, accused the department of negligence, invasion of privacy, and intentional infliction of emotional distress and requested damages on behalf of the family.
Democratic Assemblyman Mike Gipson, the state lawmaker who introduced the legislation, said it was "unconscionable" for first responders to violate the privacy of victims in that way.
"Our first responders, when responding to an emergency, should not be taking very sensitive photographs … for their own gain, for their own pleasure," Gipson said.News Gavin Newsom Kobe Bryant Law Enforcement