Sep 17, 2020
Trump administration seeking full US control of TikTok despite negotiation challenges: Report
This news has been received from: washingtonexaminer.com
All trademarks, copyrights, videos, photos and logos are owned by respective news sources. News stories, videos and live streams are from trusted sources.
Treasury Secretary Steve Mnuchin and other federal officials are seeking that U.S. ownership of the company will reach over 50%, which falls short of the full acquisition desired by President Trump and other GOP lawmakers, according to the Wall Street Journal, which cited people familiar with the matter.
The push came as the Beijing-based company ByteDance, which owns TikTok, has sought to retain majority ownership for its proposed partnership with Oracle Corp. in a U.S.-based company that will take over TikTok's operations.
"Conceptually, I can tell you, I don’t like that," Trump said about ByteDance maintaining a majority stake.
About 40% of ByteDance is owned by U.S. investors, 25% is held by its founder, Zhang Yiming, 20% by ByteDance employees, and another 20% by other non-U.S. investors. Under the structure U.S. officials are looking at, all of ByteDance's assets would go to the new company, and Oracle and Walmart would also become investors.
Oracle and Walmart said their investments would be a better way to compete with Amazon, and Walmart would also be able to expand its advertising.
The Trump administration raised security concerns about TikTok earlier in 2020, alleging that the company was collecting and sharing U.S. consumer data with the Chinese government. TikTok has denied the claims.
In August, the White House gave ByteDance a 45-day deadline to sell or restructure its U.S. operations of TikTok or face a ban over the security claims.News TikTok China Social Media Business Steven Mnuchin Trump administration Treasury Senate Republicans
News Source: washingtonexaminer.com
North Korea Regrets Killing South Korean to Control Coronavirus
SEOUL (Reuters) - North Korea expressed regret on Friday over the death of a missing South Korean, saying it shot him as part of measures to battle the coronavirus, the South's national security adviser said.
North Korean leader Kim Jong Un sent a letter to South Korean President Moon Jae-in saying the incident should not have happened, the official told a briefing.
(Reporting by Hyonhee Shin and Jack Kim; Editing by Clarence Fernandez)
Copyright 2020 Thomson Reuters.