Sep 17, 2020
Massachusetts Mom Saves 8-Year-Old Son from Suffocating After Seat Belt Wraps Around His Neck
This news has been received from: msn.com
All trademarks, copyrights, videos, photos and logos are owned by respective news sources. News stories, videos and live streams are from trusted sources.
Rain could bring relief to firefighters battling blazes Heres why Trader Joe’s employees are so peppy Massachusetts Mom Saves 8-Year-Old Son from Suffocating After Seat Belt Wraps Around His Neck
A Massachusetts mother rescued her 8-year-old son from suffocating on Sunday.© Provided by People Siobhan Sherbovich's son Brayden
Siobhan Sherbovich was driving with her children in Bedford, Massachusetts, on Sunday afternoon when her son Brayden became tangled in his seatbelt in the backseat.
Sherbovich stopped the car in an attempt to untangle Brayden, but he was already choking as the belt had wrapped around his neck, she told news station WHSV 3.
"Before I could even process anything, he was basically hanging from the ceiling," she said, adding to NBC 10 Boston that "there was blood coming out from the pressure."© Provided by People Siobhan Sherbovich's son Brayden
The seatbelt would not unbuckle, so Sherbovich rushed into a nearby hair salon in search of help and scissors to cut her son free.
"I was ready to break down windows," she said.© Provided by People Siobhan Sherbovich
RELATED: 22-Year-Old Woman Survives 'Freak Accident' After Seat Belt Slices Her Stomach in Half
Daisey LaCourse, a hairstylist at the salon, gave Sherbovich some scissors and called 911, WHSV reported.
By the time Sherbovich was able to cut Brayden loose, he was unconscious.
"I cut him loose from the top of the ceiling, and he falls out of the car, just completely unconscious, onto the ground," she told WHSV.
Sherbovich was able to revive the young boy with CPR — and the heroic mother said that he was confused upon regaining consciousness.
"He just went, ‘What happened? I’m OK’ and just stared at me, looking like he was from another planet," she told WHSV.
Police Chief Bob Bongiorno credited Sherbovich's quick thinking and calm under pressure with saving her son's life.Replay Video SETTINGS OFF HD HQ SD LO Skip Ad
RELATED: Mom Shares Photo of Injured Son After Car Accident to Raise Awareness About Booster Seat Safety
"Let’s face it. Police and fire are trained on how to handle this type of situation. There’s no playbook on a parent how to do it," Bongiorno told WHSV. "For her to keep cool, to go into a facility, a salon, get a pair of scissors, come out, cut the seat belt off her son, begin CPR and essentially save his life is just absolutely amazing."
A photo of Brayden in the hospital after the incident showed the boy in a neck brace with his face bruised.
Sherbovich told NBC 10 Boston that she's sharing her story in an effort to help other parents.
"This could happen to anyone, and the main point is for people to be prepared," she told the outlet. "I don't want another mom, I don't want another parent, to ever see their kid go through that. I don't want anyone to experience that."
News Source: msn.com
Massachusetts Man Dies from Eating Too Much Black Licorice
An unnamed Massachusetts construction worker has died, after a shift in his diet with deadly consequences. While he had typically consumed red licorice on the job, weeks prior to his death he had changed things up with a switch to black licorice. Unfortunately, that shift eventually stopped his heart.
Black licorice contains small amounts of glycyrrhizic acid. And while the acid is typically harmless, large amounts built up in the body can result in low potassium, and electrolyte imbalance. Some build-up of glycyrrhizic acid is unhealthy — too much can be lethal.
“Even a small amount of licorice you eat can increase your blood pressure a little bit,” Massachusetts General Hospital cardiologist Dr. Neel Butala said. Butala wrote the case for the New England Journal of Medicine.
“He had a poor diet, consisting primarily of several packages of candy daily; [three] weeks earlier, he had switched the type of candy he was eating,” according to the report.
But pure licorice is not the only danger, according to University of Colorado cardiologist and former American Heart Association president Dr. Robert Eckel. “It’s more than licorice sticks. It could be jelly beans, licorice teas, a lot of things over the counter. Even some beers, like Belgian beers, have this compound in it,” he said.
Hershey, who produces the popular “Twizzlers” variety of licorice, released a statement via spokesperson Jeff Beckman. “All of our products are safe to eat and formulated in full compliance with FDA regulations,” he said, but stressed that any food “should be enjoyed in moderation.”