Sep 17, 2020
Deputy shot in Compton attack released from hospital
This news has been received from: New York Post
All trademarks, copyrights, videos, photos and logos are owned by respective news sources. News stories, videos and live streams are from trusted sources.
“Great news, one of those deputies was released from the hospital today,” Villanueva tweeted Wednesday night. “He has a long road ahead for recovery.But he’s not alone. We, as a community, are in this together.”
Villanueva did not identify the deputy, who was one of two shot in the head as they sat in a marked car near a transit station Saturday.
Video of the attack shows a gunman in dark clothing walk up to their vehicle, fire into the passenger side window and run away.
Both deputies had been on the job for about 14 months, Villanueva said over the weekend.
Earlier Wednesday, the sheriff said investigators were following “multiple leads” and believed they were making progress in a massive manhunt for the gunman and a possible getaway driver.
No suspects have been identified.
“Our detectives are confident they’re on the right path,” Villanueva told Bill Hemmer on “Bill Hemmer Reports.”
We at @LASDHQ appreciate the outpouring of prayers and support you have shown for our ambushed deputies.
Great news, one of those deputies was released from the hospital today. He has a long road ahead for recovery. But hes not alone. We, as a community, are in this together.
— Alex Villanueva (@LACoSheriff) September 17, 2020
A GoFundMe page set up by a sheriff’s detective has raised more than $550,000 to help the wounded deputies — identified as a 31-year-old woman and 24-year-old man. Separately, more than $300,000 in reward money — a mix of public funds and private donations — is being offered in the case.
The female deputy remained hospitalized in stable condition following surgery. Further details were not available.
The sheriff’s department has faced criticism in recent months for its handling of a number of incidents, including leaked photos in May of the helicopter crash that killed Kobe Bryant and seven other people. Bryant’s family is suing the department in connection with the incident.
Fox News’ Louis Casiano contributed to this report.Filed under california , los angeles , shootings , 9/17/20
News Source: New York Post
Independent autopsy finds Dijon Kizzee shot 15 times by LA deputies
Loading the player...
An autopsy has revealed that a L.A. man was shot about 15 times by police last month. The family of 29-year-old Dijon Kizzee commissioned an independent autopsy which declared the young man may have not attempted to aim a gun at police as previously claimed.
According to the Los Angeles Times, the autopsy also exposed that police were still firing their gun after the victim was on the ground and could have survived if given medical attention.
“What this shows is he was alive and breathing and writhing in pain when the officers continued to stay away,” said the family attorney, Carl Douglas, at a press conference on Tuesday. “When they got a shield first, and they had a shield walking up to the man while he was writhing in pain. All too often, law enforcement officers misinterpret writhing in pain as some sort of act of resistance.”
Read More: California mom in viral video alleges police harassment during son’s traffic stop
Dr. John Hiserodt, who conducted the autopsy, concluded that Kizzee bled to death after blood filled his lungs. Douglas presented the statement.
“The deputies who fired their weapons, called for back-up, and spent several critical minutes waiting for back-up to arrive, while Dijon was bleeding to death in the street,” the statement read. “The independent autopsy supports my contention that this shooting was an execution, plain and simple.”
As previously reported by theGrio, Kizzee was shot in South LA in Budlong Ave. and 110th in August. He was riding his bike on the wrong side of the street when two deputies from South L.A. stopped him. Kizzee dropped his bike to run and as one of the deputies caught up to him, there was allegedly a struggle and Kizzee dropped a weapon.
Read More: California mom in viral video alleges police harassment during son’s traffic stop(Credit: Dijon Kizzee family)
Capt. Kent Wegener claimed Kizzee, “bends over, reaches, picks up the gun and is shot as he stands with the gun in hand.”
He added, “You will see that the deputy struggling with Kizzee does not arm himself until Kizzee bends down to pick up the gun he dropped.”
But the Captain’s story differed from witnesses who say deputies did not try to deescalate the situation and that Kizzee was shot with nothing in his hands. The sheriffs office also had conflicting stories. First they said the shooting happened when the gun hit the ground but reneged that statement to say they began shooting at him because Kizzee “made a motion” for the gun.
His family attended Tuesday’s press conference with face masks that read “Justice for Dijon Kizzee.”
Have you subscribed to theGrio’s podcast “Dear Culture”? Download our newest episodes now!Loading the player... Share: