This news has been received from: CNN

All trademarks, copyrights, videos, photos and logos are owned by respective news sources. News stories, videos and live streams are from trusted sources.

(CNN)Athletes often have favorite venues they associate with good memories and good performances. That, however, is certainly not the case with Phil Mickelson and New York's Winged Foot Golf Club.

Last time I was at Winged Foot, I was 36 years old with no accountability for my health. ???? This was before @ForWellness.


After becoming accountable for my own health, today I return to Winged Foot and let's just say I look a little "different" ???? pic.twitter.com/SuYJFwnZdY

— Phil Mickelson (@PhilMickelson) September 14, 2020 The course was the site of his most excruciating defeat when in 2006, needing just a par on the final hole -- or a bogey to take it to a playoff -- to claim his first US Open title and complete a career grand slam, the American hit the ball off a hospitality tent and made a double-bogey, handing the title to Geoff Ogilvy.
    And while the crushing nature of that defeat didn't hold Mickelson back -- he went on to win two more majors -- the memories from Winged Foot will no doubt forever stick with him. While that career grand slam still remains elusive to Mickelson as he returns to Winged Foot for the 120th US Open Championship, which begins on Thursday, one thing that has changed is his body. He took to Twitter to show his transformation since 2006, admitting he looks a little "different" now. "Last time I was at Winged Foot, I was 36 years old with no accountability for my health ... After becoming accountable for my own health, today I return to Winged Foot and let's just say I look a little 'different.'"Read MoreREAD: In a Dallas living room, golf is secretly being transformedMickelson waits to hit from the rough during the final round of the 2006 U.S. Open Championship.A tough testWhen Mickelson lost that heartbreaker at Winged Foot 14 years ago, the winning score was five over par. The score to make the cut that year was 13 over. In contrast to the 13 under Gary Woodland shot in June last year to win the US Open at Pebble Beach, many are expecting another over-par score to win the championship in 2020. The winning score has been over par in all but one US Open at Winged Foot; Jack Nicklaus once described the course as getting "tough on the first tee and never getting any easier."And after playing the course before the Tour Championship last week, Jon Rahm -- the world No.2 -- believes players will once again struggle to make birdies. "It's just a difficult course. It's long. It's narrow. It's undulated," the Spaniard said. "You just need to play really good golf."If it gets firm like some of the USGA guys (the tournament organizers) told me they want it to be, I don't see how any of us shoot under par. Or if we shoot under par, it would be somebody winning by a lot."READ: How Brendon Todd came in from the cold to grab himself a slice of the action on PGA TourMickelson stands on the 18th green after his last putt in the final round of the 2006 U.S. Open Championship.The man to beatSince golf returned from the coronavirus hiatus, Dustin Johnson has been in red-hot form. In 10 PGA Tour events, the 36-year-old has won three and finished second twice -- including last month's PGA Championship -- and also won the season-ending FedEx Cup title. As well as pocketing over $15 million for his FedEx Cup victory at East Lake, Atlanta and returning to world No.1, Johnson was named the PGA Tour's Player of the Year. Entering the US Open, Johnson is undeniably the man to beat, and he told the media that he was "pleased" with the way his game has been "clicking" in recent competitions. "Obviously I've just put in a lot of good work. I feel like it's nice to see that the work you're putting in, to be able to take it on the golf course and to golf tournaments," he said. "I've spent a lot of time with (coach) Claude (Harmon III) and my brother working on the putting and everything just seems to be clicking right now. But I've definitely had to put in a lot of work to get to where I'm at. And obviously the game's good and it feels good."READ: The golfer who drove over 4,000 miles across the US to play in tournamentsJohnson celebrates with the FedEx Cup trophy.Creating better memoriesIn 2006, when the US Open was last held at Winged Foot, Tiger Woods was competing just six weeks after the death of his father Earl.And Woods admits that he wasn't in the right mindset to play well then, as he missed the cut by three shots. "I was not prepared to play and still dealing with the death of my dad," he said on Tuesday. "When I didn't win the Masters that year, that was really tough to take because that was the last event my dad was ever going to watch me play."He passed not too long after that, and quite frankly, when I got ready for this event, I didn't really put in the time. I didn't really put in the practice, and consequently missed the cut pretty easily."Visit CNN.com/sport for more news, features, and videosWoods hangs his head after hitting it into the rough on the 15th hole during the opening round of the 2006 U.S. Open.Now the 44-year-old is back at Winged Foot hoping to create new, more positive memories as he aims to win his first US Open title since 2008.
      Since golf returned from the break, Woods has struggled for fitness and form, playing in just four PGA Tour events, his highest finish coming at the PGA Championship when he tied for 37th. "This year I really haven't putted as well as I wanted to," Woods said, "and the times I did make a few swing mistakes, I missed it in the wrong spots. Consequently, I just didn't have the right looks at it. I've compounded mistakes here and there that ended up not making me able to make pars or a birdie run, and consequently I haven't put myself in contention to win events."

      News Source: CNN

      Tags: at winged foot

      3 killed in Northern California wildfire as thousands flee

      Next News:

      Striking Rafael Viñoly-designed condo building planned for The Wharf

      The 96 condos will range from 700-square-foot one-bedrooms to 6,000-square-foot four-bedrooms, including split-level penthouses. (Courtesy Hoffman-Madison Waterfront)

      The Wharf developer Hoffman-Madison Waterfront, which began work on Phase 2 of the Southwest Waterfront development earlier this year, will add an unusual building to D.C.’s skyline with the construction of a 12-story, high-end condo.

      The condominium development, to be called Amaris — Latin for “you are loved” — is designed by architect Rafael Viñoly, whose recent projects include 432 Park Avenue in Manhattan, currently the world’s tallest occupied all-residential building.

      Hoffman-Madison has not released expected prices for the condos, but they may be among the most expensive in D.C.

      “Since our initial designs with lead architect Rafael Viñoly, our goal has been to create an iconic and inspiring addition to the neighborhood that will become a statement in Washington’s waterfront skyline, while raising the bar for residential living,” said Monty Hoffman, founder and chairman of Hoffman & Associates.

      The condominium development, to be called Amaris, is designed by architect Rafael Viñoly. (Courtesy Hoffman-Madison Waterfront)

      “From its striking all-glass facade to its ideal location on the water’s edge that allows each residence private outdoor space, Amaris exemplifies the ultimate in luxury waterfront living for the region that can only be found at The Wharf.”

      The curved and glass-walled building is the first project in D.C. for Viñoly Architects.

      The 96 condos will range from 700-square-foot one-bedrooms to 6,000-square-foot four-bedrooms, including split-level penthouses.

      It will also include a 5,000-square-foot terrace on the sixth floor, 20,000 square feet of indoor and outdoor common space for owners, and 16,000 square feet of street-level retail.

      Amaris will be built next to the planned 1.5-acre waterfront park The Green.

      Sales at Amaris, at 601 Wharf St., will start next spring. It is expected to be completed in the first quarter of 2023.

      Phase 1 of The Wharf, with more than 2 million square feet of development, opened in 2017. Phase 2 will add another 1 million square feet.

      Already announced for Phase 2 is law firm Williams & Connolly LLP, which will occupy a pair of new office towers, and the 165-room hotel Pendry Washington, D.C. — The Wharf.

      Other News

      • Nadal, Serena on guard at French Open as Halep plays compatriot
      • New Jersey Gov. Phil Murphy Signs $32.7 Billion Budget Plan
      • Trump v Biden debate kicks off as president prepares to slam gaffe-prone Dem over son while Joe plans to attack on COVID
      • Trump Supreme Court Pick Barrett Huddles With Senators, Aiming for Swift Confirmation
      • 'Whale shark, right behind you!': A photographer shares the thrilling moment he captured an award-winning image of a 40-foot shark
      • Man accused of hitting ex with car, running over her sons foot in NYC
      • BIZZARE: WTA Star Runs Out of Tennis Racquets During French Open 2020 Defeat
      • Inside Shaquille O’Neal’s $19.5million lakeside Florida mansion with indoor court & 17-car garage that’s up for sale
      • Alexander Zverev Responds To Being Called the Third Best Player Besides Novak Djokovic and Dominic Thiem
      • Man accused of hitting ex with car, running over her sons foot in Brooklyn
      • Tyronn Lue, Jeff Van Gundy reportedly candidates for Clippers job
      • Novak Djokovic powers to victory in first grand slam match since US Open default
      • University Challenge viewers slam the BBC over lack of diversity
      • Need to Give Him the Chance: Former Grand Slam Finalist Backs Andy Murray After Recent Backlash
      • Pliskova struggles past Egyptian trailblazer as Djokovic promises best behaviour
      • Highlights: French Open day three
      • The struggle to crack down on the cottage industry sabotaging vehicle pollution controls
      • Almost perfect Djokovic ready for Roland Garros bow
      • Lesbian couple slam Facebook after it brands video of them touching foreheads ‘sexually explicit’