This news has been received from: cbslocal.com

All trademarks, copyrights, videos, photos and logos are owned by respective news sources. News stories, videos and live streams are from trusted sources.

SANTA CLARA COUNTY (KPIX 5) – A group of business owners and at least a half dozen chambers of commerce across Santa Clara County are coming together to urge county leaders to relax COVID-19 restrictions or put the economy further at risk.

The group is asking county supervisors and Dr. Sara Cody, the county’s health officer, to follow the state’s “red tier” guidelines in reopening the economy.

Santa Clara County entered the red tier last week, but announced it would continue following more restrictive guidelines.

“Did they forget about us,” said esthetician Maya Mansour, who owns The Original Facial Bar in Willow Glen.

Esthetician Maya Mansour of Facial Bar enters her business which has been shutdown by the COVID-19 pandemic. (CBS)

Mansour was set to hold a grand opening for her second location in Cupertino earlier this year when the county announced its shelter-in-place order. For the last six months, Mansour said she’s wondered when estheticians in Santa Clara County could work again.

However, under the order, medical spas are allowed to reopen. Mansour argues that medspas provide the same facial services that estheticians perform.

“Perhaps Dr. Cody can explain how lip fillers and botox are more essential than our services,” said Mansour. “Only Santa Clara County has prohibited estheticians from working for over six months.”

Fred Jones, legal counsel for the Professional Beauty Federation of California, said that Santa Clara County lags behind other counties that are in the same tier.

ALSO READ: Santa Clara County Criticizes COVID-19 Testing Shortfalls By Private Health Care Companies

“Santa Clara is like this weird outlier,” Jones said. “I don’t get it, we don’t get it. It’s extremely frustrating.”

He said that the entire nail, hair and skin industry is trained and licensed by the state. But the county isn’t allowing the entire industry to reopen.

“It’s inappropriate, ignorant and I would go so far as to say callous misunderstanding of what we do in the beauty industry to keep our clients safe,” Jones said. “How many of those same health care professionals have missed a single paycheck.”

ALSO READ: San Jose Unified School District To Continue Distance Learning Through At Least December

“The cold weather is coming, some of them have been operating outside to some degree, but it’s really just been a band aid,” said Silicon Valley Organization President and CEO Matthew Mahood. “These businesses are at the point of closing forever.”

The county released a statement to KPIX 5 and said that indoor dining is risky because it involves patrons taking off their masks. The county also said being in the red tier still means the presence of COVID-19 is “substantial.”

“When we ask in which tier we can reopen, the response is always the same, ‘We don’t know,'” Mansour said. “Our businesses are dying.”

News Source: cbslocal.com

Tags: san francisco news coronavirus covid 19 red tier reopening san jose san jose news santa clara county san francisco news santa clara county

The inside story of the Ryder Cup's postponement

Next News:

Indiana coronavirus: IN reports 1,155 new COVID-19 cases, 11 deaths as state begins Phase 5 reopening

INDIANAPOLIS (WLS) -- Indiana moved into the final phase of reopening Saturday.

Nearly three months after suspending Indiana's reopening plan, Gov. Eric Holcomb on Wednesday announced the state will move to the final phase -- Stage 5 -- Saturday while keeping the statewide mask order in place indefinitely.

The reopening comes as Indiana reports 1,155 new COVID-19 cases and 11 deaths Saturday.

The Indiana State Department of Health confirmed a total of 116,549 positive coronavirus cases in the state, including 3,351 deaths Saturday.

In the last 24 hours, officials have conducted 27,028 tests, with a seven-day positivity rate of 4.1%.

Moving into the final phase means restaurants, bars and fitness centers can fully open, but with guidelines in place.

Gatherings of more than 500 people will still need the state's approval and Indiana's statewide mask mandate will remain in effect.

It was a quiet Friday afternoon at one Indiana gym, with few people are getting their workouts in. A few more were seen shooting hoops nearby.

Most out and about in the state say they feel encouraged the state is moving to Phase 5 and opening up a bit more starting this weekend, however none say it suggests COVID-19 is no longer a threat.

"It's still out there but as long as we are maintain our social distancing and everything, we should be fine," said Giselle Iniguez.

"I think it's a good idea as long as we follow proper protocols," said Tommy Myers.

The new guidelines will allow more capacity in workout classes. The basketball gym will also be open to play games and scrimmage rather than just shooting around individually.

The Hammond YMCA has stringent COVID-19 protocols in place, including a thermal temperature reading as you enter the door, as well as social distancing. The rules are something the director says will not change once the new phase begins Saturday.

"A lot of our safety will still stay the same," said YMCA Executive Director Emily Packard.

While restaurants and bars will now be able to increase capacity, most say they will continue to encourage social distancing, and masks will still be mandatory for the time being.

Nevertheless most are looking forward to taking another step toward normalcy.

"It's kind of like a reward, you know. We did good, we listened Indiana, so this is it now," said Patrick O'Hara.

Indiana to track COVID-19 in schools with new data dashboard

A new online tool designed to help track COVID-19 cases in Indiana schools is expected to be released by the end of the month.

The data dashboard will reflect the new and cumulative numbers of positive COVID-19 cases among students, teachers, and in a given school. It will be updated on a weekly basis, said Dr. Kristina Box, commissioner of the Indiana State Department of Health.

RELATED: Here's where to find coronavirus testing in Northwest Indiana

While the school virus dashboard hasn't yet launched, state officials provided the first historical snapshot of school COVID-19 cases Wednesday. About 2,000 schools, over 70% of those across the state, have already contributed data, Box said. Initial numbers indicate more than 1,100 schools reported no COVID-19 cases, and more than 900 reported at least one case.

In the positive cases logged so far, nearly 1,900 students, teachers and other school employees have tested positive for COVID-19 since the new school year started this fall. Students make up the majority of the reported cases, with 1,348 cases, with another 274 cases reported among the state's teachers and 276 cases in other staff members.

Case totals are likely to increase in the coming days as more schools submit their data, Box said. But because the reporting by schools is voluntary, the state dashboard numbers won't fully capture cases. If school participation becomes an issue, however, Box said the state may consider making it mandatory for district leaders to report their data.
"The purpose is not to stigmatize a school or to penalize them," Box said during a Sept. 9 news conference. "The purpose is not to mandate whether schools are hosting in-person classes or going virtual because those decisions are made locally."

The state reported Wednesday that 94% of schools are now offering at least some degree of in-person instruction. With school leaders and local health departments in control of deciding when school buildings should close or reopen as the coronavirus pandemic continues, Box added that the creation of the new school dashboard is intended help guide districts as they weigh decisions about their operational plans.

Still, the case counts reported by the tracker have been difficult for the public to see, until now. Currently, schools are required to report positive cases to their local health department, but it's up to school officials to determine if other students and families in the district are notified of positive cases.

As early as next week, the school data will be available to the public and searchable by individual school. Schools reporting fewer than five positive cases will have their data suppressed to protect privacy.

Once the dashboard is released, Indiana will join more than a dozen other states that publicly provide numbers of COVID-19 cases in schools.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Other News

  • Is Davante Adams playing Sunday night? Fantasy injury update for Packers-Saints
  • New York City Says Outdoor Dining Will Become Permanent and Year-Round
  • Nashville Mayor John Cooper Has a Vendetta Against Bar Owners on Lower Broadway, Attorney Says
  • Montgomery Co. schools, unions, work toward reopening
  • Most COVID Restrictions In Indiana Lifted As State Moves To Stage 5 Of Reopening, But Mask Mandate Still In Place
  • Teachers Rally Against Compton Unified Schools Reopening Proposal
  • L.A. County sees no post-Labor Day spike in coronavirus numbers
  • Trump AGAIN rips Ilhan Omar for ‘always complaining’ before ‘questioning how she came to America’
  • Barrett clerked for Scalia. Conservatives hope she’ll follow his path.
  • Coronavirus takes wrenching toll on Orange County Latinos who have no choice but to work
  • Spotlight on Green News & Views: Antarctic glaciers falling apart; Battery Day follow-up
  • Jose Mourinho growing frustrated with Tottenham’s transfer business after failing to land Harry Kane back-up
  • Frustrated Staten Island principal gives up on de Blasios learning plan
  • 2 Arrested In Looting Of REI Store In Santa Monica During May Protests
  • Couple charged in grisly murder, dismember of body at golf course
  • COVID-19: Heres What You Need To Know About CT Phase 3 Reopening Guidelines
  • Home sales in Santa Clara County and San Mateo County, Sept. 26
  • Driver Arrested On Hit-And-Run Charges; Two Young Girls Injured In Santa Rosa Sideshow
  • An angry woman wrecked the wine display at a supermarket after being asked to follow COVID-19 one-way system