Sep 17, 2020
Deputy shot in Compton attack released from hospital
This news has been received from: newsbrig.com
All trademarks, copyrights, videos, photos and logos are owned by respective news sources. News stories, videos and live streams are from trusted sources.
“Great news, one of those deputies was released from the hospital today,” Villanueva tweeted Wednesday night. “He has a long road ahead for recovery.But he’s not alone. We, as a community, are in this together.”
Villanueva did not identify the deputy, who was one of two shot in the head as they sat in a marked car near a transit station Saturday.
Video of the attack shows a gunman in dark clothing walk up to their vehicle, fire into the passenger side window and run away.
Both deputies had been on the job for about 14 months, Villanueva said over the weekend.
Earlier Wednesday, the sheriff said investigators were following “multiple leads” and believed they were making progress in a massive manhunt for the gunman and a possible getaway driver.
No suspects have been identified.
“Our detectives are confident they’re on the right path,” Villanueva told Bill Hemmer on “Bill Hemmer Reports.”
We at @LASDHQ appreciate the outpouring of prayers and support you have shown for our ambushed deputies.
Great news, one of those deputies was released from the hospital today. He has a long road ahead for recovery. But he’s not alone. We, as a community, are in this together.
— Alex Villanueva (@LACoSheriff) September 17, 2020
A GoFundMe page set up by a sheriff’s detective has raised more than $550,000 to help the wounded deputies — identified as a 31-year-old woman and 24-year-old man. Separately, more than $300,000 in reward money — a mix of public funds and private donations — is being offered in the case.
The female deputy remained hospitalized in stable condition following surgery. Further details were not available.
The sheriff’s department has faced criticism in recent months for its handling of a number of incidents, including leaked photos in May of the helicopter crash that killed Kobe Bryant and seven other people. Bryant’s family is suing the department in connection with the incident.
Fox News’ Louis Casiano contributed to this report.
News Source: newsbrig.com
Tags: released from
49ers legend Joe Montana saves grandchild from suspected home intruder, deputies say
MALIBU, Calif. -- 49ers legend and Hall of Fame quarterback Joe Montana and his wife intervened during the kidnapping of their 9-month-old grandchild at their home in Malibu Saturday night, the Los Angeles Sheriff's Department said Sunday.
Known for winning four Super Bowl titles and two MVP awards with the Niners, "Joe Cool" found himself confronting an alleged kidnapper.
Montana and his wife, Jennifer, were in their Malibu home when a 39-year-old woman entered the home, according to law enforcement.
The sheriff's department says deputies were "flagged" down by Montana around 5 p.m. Saturday after he said woman entered his home, kidnapped the child and later, left the home without the child.
RELATED: Joe Montana combats chronic pain with Stimwave Technology
The sheriff's department said the child was sleeping in a playpen when a woman entered the home and took the child, holding her in her arms.
Montana and his wife confronted the suspect and after a "tussle," Montana was able to take the child from the suspect's arms, according to the sheriff's department.
The suspect left the scene, but deputies later tracked her down and she was arrested on kidnapping and burglary charges.
"The suspect fled to a nearby house, where she was located and arrested by Malibu/Lost Hills Deputies," the sheriff's department said in a statement.
The suspect has been identified as Sodsai Dalzell.
She is being held in police custody on $150,000 bail.
RELATED: Joe Montana asks for Candlestick street to also honor Dwight Clark
No was one was injured during the incident.
In a tweet Sunday, the Hall of Fame quarterback said it was a scary situation.
Thank you to everyone who has reached out. Scary situation, but thankful that everybody is doing well. We appreciate respect for our privacy at this time.— Joseph Montana (@JoeMontana) September 27, 2020
"Thank you to everyone who has reached out,' Montana said. "Scary situation, but thankful that everybody is doing well. We appreciate respect for our privacy at this time."
Montana, considered one of the greatest quarterbacks on all-time, is no stranger to attempted crime, or at least for his likeness. It was just one year ago when a man was arrested for vandalizing the Joe Montana "Catch" statue at Levi's Stadium in Santa Clara, Calif., according to police.
See more stories on the San Francisco 49ers.