Oct 17, 2020
Deepika Padukone, Jacqueline Fernandez Images Placed on Job Cards in Madhya Pradeshs Khargone, MGNREGA Fraud Unearthed
This news has been received from: newsbrig.com
All trademarks, copyrights, videos, photos and logos are owned by respective news sources. News stories, videos and live streams are from trusted sources.
Bhopal, October 17: The Jhirnia district panchayat, which once drew applause for 100 percent payment of allotted wages under Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Generation Act (MGNREGA), has now come under the scanner for an alleged case of fraud. Reports have found that “job cards” in name of some of the villagers featured images of actresses Deepika Padukone and Jacqueline Fernandez.Kangana Ranaut Takes Dig At Deepika Padukone After Latter’s Name Crops Up In Drug Controversy.
In Piperkhed Naka village under Ziranya panchayat, 70 km from the district headquarters, a job card of a person identified as Monu Shivshankar beared the image of Deepika, a top Bollywood personality. In another job card of villager Sonu Shantilal, the image of Jacqueline was placed.
Around 11 such fraudulent job cards have been reportedly brought to the notice of officials. An inquiry has been launched. The villagers whose names were used in such cards claimed that they were neither provided employment under the scheme nor made any payments, reports said.
“Information on 11 job cards with pictures of celebrities has come to my notice. In the last few days large amounts of money have been withdrawn and muster rolls filled. We will find out how the job cards were issued and how these pictures were taken. Action will be taken against whoever is found guilty in the investigation,” NDTV reported Gaurav Banal, CEO of district panchayat, as saying.
(The above story first appeared on News Brig on Oct 17, 2020 04:22 PM IST. For more news and updates on politics, world, sports, entertainment and lifestyle, log on to our website newsbrig.com).
News Source: newsbrig.com
NY appeals court affirms dismissal of state fraud charges against Paul Manafort
A New York appeals court Thursday upheld a state judge’s ruling to dismiss the $20 million mortgage fraud case against President Trump’s ex-campaign manager Paul Manafort on the grounds of double jeopardy.
The Appellate Division First Department sided with Manhattan Supreme Court Justice Maxwell Wiley’s analysis that the federal charges for which Manafort had already been convicted “involved the same fraud, against the same victims, as is charged in his New York indictment,” wrote the three-judge panel.
They rejected the Manhattan District Attorney’s argument that the overlap in prosecution was warranted given that the federal and state statutes were “designed to prevent very different kinds of harm or evil.”
After Manafort, 71, was convicted and sentenced on federal financial fraud charges, Manhattan DA Cyrus Vance Jr. announced a 16-count indictment alleging, in part, that he had defrauded banks by lying to obtain mortgages on four properties.
Wiley dismissed the case in July 2019 prompting the Manhattan DA to appeal the decision.
Manafort’s lawyer, Todd Blanche, said his client was pleased with the decision. “This is a case that should never have been brought because the dismissed indictment is a clear violation of New York law,” he said.
Manafort could potentially receive a presidential pardon on the federal convictions — which would not apply state charges.
“We will consider our appellate options,” said DA spokesman Danny Frost.Filed under appeals , donald trump , fraud , paul manafort , 10/22/20