This news has been received from: New York Post

All trademarks, copyrights, videos, photos and logos are owned by respective news sources. News stories, videos and live streams are from trusted sources.

Kentucky’s attorney general and a Christian school have sued the state’s governor — charging that a ban on in-person classroom teaching violates the First Amendment and religious freedom.

Attorney General Daniel Cameron and Danville Christian Academy claim in the lawsuit filed in federal court Friday that Gov.

Andy Beshear’s executive order to combat the coronavirus has gone too far.

“The governor’s school-closure order prohibits religious organizations from educating children consistent with and according to their faith,” Cameron said in a statement.

“The ability to provide and receive a private religious education is a core part of the freedoms protected by the First Amendment.

The executive order issued by Beshear on Wednesday halts in-person classes from K-12 starting Monday.

The governor says all middle and high schools should remain closed until January, but that some elementary schools may reopen if they’re not in a red zone.

The governor also ordered restaurants and bars to shut down until Dec.13.

Cameron slammed the governor as being “inconsistent” when it comes to keeping Kentuckians safe.

“If it is safe for individuals to gather in venues, shop in stores and work in office environments, why is it unsafe for Kentucky schools to continue in-person operations while applying the same safety protocols?” Cameron said in the statement.

“The Governor’s orders are arbitrary and inconsistent when it comes to school closures in Kentucky.”

The suit, obtained by the Louisville Courier-Journal, says Danville Christian Academy learned a teacher and three students tested positive for COVID-19 in early November.

The school closed down for 10 days, and had just started bringing kids back for in-person classes, the suit said.

The school is worried it “will be unable to provide the in-person group experiences central to developing Christ-like scholars, leaders, and servants who will advance the Kingdom of God,” court papers state.

Beshear said the main goal is to flatten the spike in COVID-19 cases.

“The attorney general should stop playing politics and instead help Kentuckians understand what it takes to defeat this virus,” a spokeswoman for Beshear told the Louisville Courier-Journal.

The governor also announced Friday that Kentucky saw 3,825 cases in one day — a new daily high.

The U.S. has seen more than 254,000 COVID-19 deaths, according to John Hopkins University.

Filed under Coronavirus ,  first amendment ,  kentucky ,  11/21/20

News Source: New York Post

Tags: first amendment kentucky the governor the governor

Cyber Monday Fire Tv Stick Fire Sale: The Best Stocking Stuffer Of 2019 Is Now On Sale For 2020

Next News:

AG Office to review jail homicide investigation

COLUMBUS — Scioto County Prosecutor Shane Tieman announced last week that the Ohio Attorney General’s Office will be reviewing the homicide investigation of a county jail inmate.

Kevin L. Bailey, a 56-year-old from Portsmouth, died after a May 26 altercation with officers. He died at a Columbus hospital that following Monday, his autopsy revealing “complications of blunt force trauma to head, neck and torso,” to be the causes of death.

On Monday, Tieman detailed the status of the investigation and the process taken to get to this step. The Ohio Bureau of Criminal Investigation, in addition to an internal review by the county Sheriff’s Office for employment issues, conducted separate investigations and submitted their findings to the AG Office.

For a few weeks, Tieman said BCI and the Sheriff’s Office waited on the autopsy report from the Franklin County Coroners.

To avoid a conflict of interests, where the Prosecutor’s office represents the sheriff’s department on day-to-day matters, Tieman requested that the AG special prosecution team lead the prosecution effort on the behalf of the state.

Chief Deputy Todd Miller said previously in a news release that Bailey had attempted to flee from officers and struck his head on an open door during the struggle. An emergency squad arrived at the scene, taking him to Columbus.

Vocal in her pursuit of answers, Bailey’s sister Karen Skaggs led a June protest where community members marched from Tracy Park to the Sheriff’s Office.

Skaggs attempted unsuccessfully to speak with officers, the investigation still pending. Her understanding of the incident does not align with the department’s statement, where she believes a deputy used excessive force and “slammed his head into the concrete floor several times.”

“I just want the truth. I know that not every deputy in there is bad. I know there are some good ones,” Skaggs told the Daily Times during the protest. “We have had anonymous reports from deputies tell us they are disgusted by what happened to him. I just want the one who is bad to be brought forward and justice to be served.”

Following Tieman’s release, Skaggs expressed her frustration that charges have yet to be filed and with the individual who she believes murdered her brother in a statement released to the publication. These past months have brought her a lot of sadness, she said, reflecting on what he was thinking during the incident.

“I feel that why should he get to spend the holidays with his family when Kevin doesn’t get to because that coward beat him to death,” she said, as it has been six months since Bailey’s death. “I’m sorry, but I can’t call him a man. He is a coward for doing that to a man that was handcuffed and could not defend himself in any way. I want my chance to look this person in the face and say a few things to him.”

The Daily Times reached out to the Attorney General’s Office and was given a statement from the office.

“The Ohio Attorney General’s Special Prosecution section is reviewing the case at the request of the Scioto County Prosecutor. I do not have any additional updates to share regarding the case while it is under investigation.”

Tieman did not discuss any details as to the investigations’ findings Monday, who earlier released the following statement on Facebook June 8:

“Please be advised that it is the policy of the Prosecuting Attorney to not publicly discuss pending investigations. Not only is it a policy, it is an ethical duty not to discuss details of such with the media. Such speech before a trial takes place could taint potential jurors and thereby undermine the integrity of the judicial system,” he said.

“While I understand the outrage expressed by members of the community with respect to some very high profile matters, it is the prosecutor’s duty to seek justice through the court system and leave his or her talking to the courtroom.”

Bailey

Other News

  • New York Knicks: Gym rat Immanuel Quickley ready for training camp
  • McHenry County Restaurants Continue To Defy Indoor Dining Ban As Governor Says It Will Continue For Weeks
  • Beshear Says Vaccine to Arrive in Kentucky by Mid-December
  • State Police: Driver Struck Officer With Car Before Shooting
  • Todays Flat Earthers: Florida Governor Mocks Advocates For School Closings, Says Public Schools Will Remain Open
  • No. 20 Kentucky takes on No. 7 Kansas
  • Man Ruled Insane in College Killing Sues State Hospital
  • Man ruled insane in college killing sues state hospital
  • WKU pays visit to Louisville
  • Kentucky police officer arrested after firing shots at deputy
  • Kentucky basketball players ranked by NBA potential
  • Obama ‘vented his concerns about Biden and said “don’t underestimate Joe’s ability to f*** things up”‘
  • Winklevoss twins say bitcoin will be the decade's best performing asset, see '25x' gains from here
  • US-House-Winners, 4th Add,400
  • Governor blocks release for Charles Manson follower Leslie Van Houten: "Danger to society"
  • 1st Female President of Kentucky State University Dies
  • Off-Duty Kentucky Police Officer Arrested After Shots Fired
  • Top 25 roundup: Richmond upsets No. 10 Kentucky
  • Richmond beats No. 10 Kentucky, 1st road win vs top 10 team