Jan 13, 2021
Walmart To Temporarily Close Downey, Torrance, And Huntington Beach Stores For Cleaning, Sanitization
This news has been received from: cbslocal.com
All trademarks, copyrights, videos, photos and logos are owned by respective news sources. News stories, videos and live streams are from trusted sources.
DOWNEY (CBSLA) — Walmart will shut down its Downey, Torrance, and Huntington Beach locations through Friday morning so each store can undergo a deep cleaning and sanitization.
Walmart officials say the Downey Neighborhood Market, 1445 East Foothill Blvd.; the Torrance Supercenter, 22015 Hawthorne Blvd.; and the Huntington Beach Supercenter, 8230 Talbert Ave., will close Wednesday at 2 p.m. Each store will remain closed through Thursday and reopen Friday at 7 a.m.
The retail giant says the closures are part of a company-initiated program to allow a third-party cleaning crew time to thoroughly clean and sanitize the buildings. Walmart has also closed stores in Panorama City, Corona, Compton, Paramount, South Gate, Lancaster and Upland over the past few weeks for similar deep cleanings.
The company has not said whether any of its employees have tested positive at any of its stores, and only its Compton location has been cited recently due to lack of compliance with the health officer order, according to the LA County Department of Public Health.
“Everything we’re doing is for the well-being of our associates and customers, and in consideration of guidance by the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) and health experts,” the company’s statement said.
News Source: cbslocal.com
Justice Dept. blasts Mexicos decision to close probe of former defense minister
The Department of Justice (DOJ) is condemning the Mexican government for its decision not to press drug-related charges and subsequently close the country’s investigation into former Defense Minister Salvador Cienfuegos.
According to Reuters, a Department of Justice spokesperson said late Friday that it was “deeply disappointed” with the decision not to file charges, a move Mexican President Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador publicly supported earlier in the day.
In a brief statement in response to the decision, the Justice Department said, "The United States reserves the right to recommence its prosecution of Cienfuegos if the Government of Mexico fails to do so.”
Reuters reported that upon instructions from Lopez Obrador, Mexico’s foreign ministry published a 751-page document showing records of U.S. evidence compiled against Cienfuegos, including logs of alleged phone communications.
A DOJ spokesperson told Reuters that the agency was also “deeply disappointed” by the decision to release this information to the public.
“Publicizing such information violates the Treaty on Mutual Legal Assistance between Mexico and the United States, and calls into question whether the United States can continue to share information to support Mexico’s own criminal investigations,” the spokesperson said.
Cienfuegos, who served as Mexico’s defense secretary between 2012 and 2018, was arrested at the Los Angeles Airport in October and charged with counts of drug trafficking and money laundering in connection to the powerful H-2 drug cartel.
However, the DOJ in November dropped the charges against Cienfuegos and agreed to release him to Mexico after the country opened its own investigation, then-Attorney General William BarrBill BarrActing attorney general condemns Capitol riots, warns 'no tolerance' for violence at Biden inauguration Barr, White House counsel told Trump not to self-pardon: report Trump condemns riots, says he will focus on transition in taped remarks MORE said in a statement at the time.
Many condemned the U.S. move, including Sen. Bob MenendezRobert (Bob) MenendezYear-end deal creates American Latino, women's history museums Lawmakers call for including creation of Latino, women's history museums in year-end spending deal Trump offered 0 million to terrorism victims to save Sudan-Israel deal MORE (N.J.), the top Democrat on the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, who said in a statement at the time, “After four years of President TrumpDonald TrumpCIA chief threatened to resign over push to install Trump loyalist as deputy: report Azar in departure letter says Capitol riot threatens to 'tarnish' administration's accomplishments Justice Dept. argues Trump should get immunity from rape accuser's lawsuit MORE’s empty boasting that he stands for the rule of law, his term ends with his administration once again turning a blind eye to the facts and selling out U.S. national security interests.”
He added in the statement, "For someone who launched his entire presidency by conjuring xenophobic images of druglords running amok along the U.S.-Mexico border, there is no explanation for Attorney General [William] Barr’s decision to abruptly drop drug trafficking charges against General Cienfuegos.”
Menendez continued by arguing that, with the decision, "Attorney General Barr risks undermining that faith in the U.S. justice system and encouraging impunity at the highest levels in Mexico."
Menendez’s office did not immediately respond to The Hill’s request for comment on Friday’s decision by Mexican authorities.Tags Reuters Mexico Department of Justice Senate Foreign Relations Committee Salvador Cienfuegos Andrés Manuel López Obrador William Barr Bob Menendez Donald Trump Drug cartel Mexican drug cartels