Feb 22, 2021
LG denies the Rollable phone has been put on hold
This news has been received from: newsbrig.com
All trademarks, copyrights, videos, photos and logos are owned by respective news sources. News stories, videos and live streams are from trusted sources.
LG Electronics has told The News Brig that the company’s phone with a resizable screen, the LG Rollable, has not been put on hold. “I can firmly deny that any such decision on future mobile products has been finalized,” says an LG spokesperson. The denial comes in response to a report from Yonhap News that LG had reportedly told parts suppliers that the Rollable had been put on hold and that they could request a refund for their development efforts.
Denying that a final decision has been made is not quite the same thing as reassuring everyone that the Rollable is still coming in 2021, but it could reflect the general uncertainty that comes with designing, manufacturing, and shipping complicated electronics during a global pandemic. And it could also be that the Yonhap News report is somewhere near the truth.
LG also firmly denied a report in January that it was planning to exit the smartphone business, and Korean outlet TheElec wound up deleting that report, only to see LG turn around later and admit that it was indeed considering an exit from smartphones, even if the decision hadn’t been finalized yet.
If LG did decide to put the Rollable on hold, it could be to change release dates or to re-engineer some part of its design. Not every change in manufacturing schedule necessarily means cancellation. It would probably come as a surprise to LG employees if it did get canceled, though: TheElec’s now-deleted story originally suggested that smartphone business or no, Project I (LG’s codename for the Rollable) would continue, XDA Developers wrote.
LG has had a hard time competing with other smartphone makers like Samsung or Huawei, and its smartphone business has lost approximately $4.5 billion over the last five years. But it has seemed committed to making sure the LG Wing isn’t the last “unique” phone design it releases. The Rollable’s future is uncertain, but the story definitely isn’t over yet.
News Source: newsbrig.com
Maryland Teachers Hold Parade To Protest Going Back To Work
Educators in Montgomery County, Maryland, held a car parade protest against returning to work Tuesday.
The Montgomery County Board of Education voted Feb. 9 to return to in-person instruction Mar. 1 for for special needs and technical education students, and Mar. 15 for all other students, according to WTOP. The Montgomery County Education Association (MCEA) said it was rallying for Montgomery County Public Schools (MCPS) to address “outstanding educator concerns.”
Large teacher car rally against MCPS reopening plan. pic.twitter.com/Ch1LFmsqIg
— Tim Carney (@TPCarney) February 23, 2021
The MCEA streamed the event to social media, showing off what appeared to be hundreds of vehicles proceeding through the streets with signs and honking horns. “When the pandemic started, teachers were praised and honored….now, they are being villainized for trying to keep their communities safe,” said one attendee, Jeremy Levine, according to MCEA.
Derek Turner, MCPS chief of engagement, innovation, and operations, said the schools will use masking, social distancing and hand sanitizing to ensure a safe environment, according to WTOP. Thermometers will also be distributed to all families, and classes will quarantine if one teacher or student tests positive. Republican Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan is reportedly giving the county 50,000 rapid testing kits.
Over 20% of teachers and staff in MCPS have been vaccinated, WTOP reported. Still, some teachers are saying it isn’t enough. (RELATED: 66 GOP Congressmen Accuse Biden Of Ignoring Science On Reopening Schools)
So, hundreds of the teachers cars haven’t moved yet because there’s now a Massive traffic jam in the looping route the teachers are taking. pic.twitter.com/iU8wPT0joK
— Tim Carney (@TPCarney) February 23, 2021
“MCPS employees are NOT the Giving Tree! We will NOT sacrifice our health and safety. We are insulted that it was assumed that we should just suck it up and obey the delusional, dangerous directives,” MCEA vice president Jennifer Martin said. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has determined it is safe to reopen schools with proper precautions in place.
Extensive scientific evidence has been compiled showing that schools are not overly susceptible to COVID-19 spread. Spread in schools typically mirrors spread in the surrounding community, and young children are not at high-risk compared to older adults or those with compromised immune systems.
“We are here today because, frankly, this is a question of humanity,” MCEA president Chris Lloyd said.