Feb 23, 2021
Facebook brings back news after Australian government amends upcoming law
This news has been received from: newsbrig.com
All trademarks, copyrights, videos, photos and logos are owned by respective news sources. News stories, videos and live streams are from trusted sources.
Facebook will restore news content to its platform in Australia after the government agreed to amend its proposed News Media Bargaining Code. In an update posted today, Facebook’s William Easton, managing director of Australia and New Zealand, said that the company is “satisfied that the Australian government has agreed to a number of changes and guarantees that address our core concerns.” News content will return to the platform “in the coming days,” Easton said.
Facebook and Google have been at loggerheads with the Australian government about an upcoming law that will require them to pay publishers for content shared on their platforms. In response to the proposed bargaining code, Facebook took the extreme measure last week of blocking news from being shared on its platform by Australian users and publishers.
The amendments, which were outlined in a release from the Australian government, include giving tech companies and publishers two months to reach agreements with one another, which The New York Times notes appears to give Facebook more time to strike deals, similar to those reached by Google.“Facebook has committed to entering into good-faith negotiations with Australian news media”
Another amendment notes that the government should take into account whether a tech company has already reached commercial agreements with the Australian news industry. The NYT notes that this opens the door to Facebook and Google to avoid the most feared aspects of the bargaining code by signing more media to their respective Facebook News and Google News Showcase products.
The big US tech companies are particularly concerned about the law forcing them into arbitration with news companies if they can’t reach a deal. They claim this arbitration process underestimates the value their services provide to news publishers, such as web traffic that can then be monetized with ads.
In a statement, Facebook’s vice president of Global News Partnerships Campbell Brown said the Australian government “has clarified we will retain the ability to decide if news appears on Facebook so that we won’t automatically be subject to a forced negotiation.” She added that it means Facebook can “support the publishers we choose to, including small and local publishers.”
Responding to the deal, Australian treasurer Josh Frydenberg said “Facebook has committed to entering into good-faith negotiations with Australian news media businesses and seeking to reach agreements to pay for content,” the Sydney Morning Herald reports.
While Facebook took the extreme step of blocking all news in the country in response to the law, Google has been busy brokering deals with the country’s news publishers to pay them as part of its News Showcase product. As part of the product, Google is also making deals with international publishers to cover other publications around the world. Initially, Google had also threatened to withdraw services from Australia.
With the amendments signed off on Tuesday morning, the Sydney Morning Herald notes that the legislation could pass through the country’s Parliament as soon as Wednesday.
News Source: newsbrig.com
Tags: the australian government the country’s with the australian facebook and google in response in response agreements news publishers the government notes the amendments the amendments tech companies and publishers publishers news content its platform news content for content agreed blocking
Marlins Park Will Have New Health, Safety Protocols For Upcoming Season
MIAMI (CBSMiami) – When the Miami Marlins kick off their new season, there will be new health and safety protocols in place at Marlins Park to help keep fans safe during the pandemic.
The attendance-challenged Marlins plan to allow fans at home games, although crowds will initially be limited to about 25% of capacity. That would mean a maximum of about 9,300 spectators in the 37,446-seat ballpark.READ MORE: Black History Month: Teen Creates Book Using Collection Of Letters Written By Black Moms To Their Sons
The team’s home opener will be April 1st against the Tampa Bay Rays.
The Marlins have partnered with RB, the makers of Lysol, to jointly enhance the team’s existing disinfection and cleaning measures at the ballpark. High-touch surfaces and objects will be regularly disinfected and there will be hand sanitizer locations throughout the park.
They will also institute free flow parking with a contactless, mobile payment system at all Marlins Park garages.
All tickets will be digital and can be purchased in the MLB Ballpark app. Fans will receive a time and gate location to enter the ballpark, which will be listed on each game ticket.READ MORE: Miami Weather: Warm With Scattered Showers Throughout The Day
Bags will not be permitted inside Marlins Park unless for medical or infant purposes. Also, fans won’t be able to bring food into the ballpark.
Food and drinks will be sold at select locations inside the ballpark and fans will have the added option to avoid waiting in line with mobile ordering for pick-up. All eating and drinking should be done in the fans’ assigned seats.
Guests are encouraged to pay electronically (debit, credit, Apple Pay, etc.) at all concession and retail locations.
Face coverings will be required for those ages two and older inside Marlins Park and may only be momentarily removed when actively eating or drinking.MORE NEWS: Gov. DeSantis Orders Flags At Half Staff At Three Locations To Honor Rush Limbaugh
Signs and floor markers will remind people to stay six feet apart.