Feb 23, 2021
City now has a recovery czar
This news has been received from: brooklyneagle.com
All trademarks, copyrights, videos, photos and logos are owned by respective news sources. News stories, videos and live streams are from trusted sources.
As New York City begins to recover from the coronavirus, the city now has a new “recovery czar” — Lorraine Grillo, the city’s longtime commissioner of the Department of Design and Construction and CEO of the New York City School Construction Authority.
Mayor Bill de Blasio on Monday appointed Grillo to her new post, officially titled the city’s senior advisor for recovery, effective immediately.
“New York City was hit with an unprecedented health care and economic crisis. Together, we’re taking unprecedented steps to drive a recovery for all of us,” said Mayor de Blasio. “As New York City’s first-ever recovery czar, Lorraine will cut through bureaucracy, coordinate across all agencies, and reach out to non-profit and private partners to make sure our recovery is felt in every borough, every neighborhood and every block.”
News Source: brooklyneagle.com
New York bars, restaurants suing state over coronavirus curfew get temporary OK to stay open later: report
Ninety bars and restaurants suing New York state over a coronavirus-related 11 p.m. closing curfew were allowed to stay open until their normal 4 a.m. closing time this weekend after a ruling Saturday night by a state Supreme Court justice.
The decision by Justice Timothy Walker, granting a preliminary injunction, took effect immediately, WIVB-TV of Buffalo reported.
Steve Cohen, an attorney with law firm Hogan-Willig, which represents the plaintiffs, said the firm’s clients were pleased with the decision. The firm had argued that the curfew was not supported by science.
CUOMO CRACKS DOWN ON BARS, GYMS, RESTAURANTS AS CORONAVIRUS CASES CLIMB AGAIN
"It’s probably the last-ditch opportunity for our clients to be able to get life breathed back into them. They were all hanging by a thread," Cohen said, "and Judge Walker gave them a lifeline."
"It’s probably the last-ditch opportunity for our clients to be able to get life breathed back into them. They were all hanging by a thread and Judge Walker gave them a lifeline."— Steve Cohen, attorney representing New York businesses
Walker’s ruling applies only to the bars and restaurants participating in the lawsuit, WIVB reported.
Earlier this month, Hogan-Willig sued Gov. Andrew Cuomo, calling for a judge to make the state comply with its December request for access to state data on transmission of the coronavirus.
CLICK HERE FOR COMPLETE CORONAVIRUS COVERAGE
Cohen said at the time that the firm wanted proof that the state’s coronavirus restrictions were justified by scientific data, WIVB reported.
Cuomo’s office responded at the time by saying it was withholding comment until it could review the lawsuit, and asserted that any claim of the administration engaging in "deception or obfuscation" was "simply incorrect."Dom Calicchio is a Senior Editor at FoxNews.com. Reach him at firstname.lastname@example.org.