Feb 23, 2021
Two men charged for threatening Michigan Democrats and judge over 2020 election
This news has been received from: washingtonexaminer.com
All trademarks, copyrights, videos, photos and logos are owned by respective news sources. News stories, videos and live streams are from trusted sources.
Two men were charged after allegedly threatening Michigan lawmakers and a judge in relation to the 2020 presidential election.
Daniel Thompson, 62, was charged with three counts of malicious use of service provided by a telecommunications service provider after he left threatening messages for Democratic Rep.Elissa Slotkin and Sen. Debbie Stabenow, while Clinton Stewart, 43, was charged with one count of the same crime for threatening Michigan Court of Claims Judge Cynthia Stephens, the state’s attorney general said in a statement on Tuesday.
“It is unacceptable and illegal to intimidate or threaten public officials,” Michigan Attorney General Dana Nessel said. “To those who think they can do so by hiding behind a keyboard or phone, we will find you and we will prosecute you, to the fullest extent of the law. No elected official should have to choose between doing their job and staying safe.”
FINGER-POINTING DOMINATES HEARING ON CAPITOL HILL
Thompson, who faces a six-month sentence and a $1,000 fine for each count, is accused of leaving threatening messages on Jan. 5, the day before the Capitol riot, and making “vulgar and threatening remarks” in a conversation with a member of Slotkin’s office on Jan. 19, according to Nessel’s office. Thompson identified himself as a Republican in a voicemail left for the senator, and he also said that he was “angry about the results of the November election, that he joined a Michigan militia, and that there will be violence if the election results were not changed.”
In the conversation with a Slotkin staffer, Thompson referenced the Capitol riot, which took place as Congress worked to certify President Biden’s electoral victory, and claimed that people would die, Nessel's office said. He is also accused of making a threatening call to Slotkin in April of 2020.
The charges against Thompson involving the incident with Stabenow and an April 2020 call to Slotkin were filed in Livingston County District Court, the state attorney general's statement said. The charge involving the second call to Slotkin was filed in Clare County District Court.
Five people died during the siege of Congress. Capitol Police said Officer Brian Sicknick was fatally injured during the siege. He received the rare tribute of lying in honor in the Capitol rotunda before his cremated remains were sent to Arlington National Cemetery. Ashli Babbitt, an Air Force veteran and Trump supporter, was shot and killed by a Capitol Police officer while attempting to climb through a window into the Speaker's Lobby. Three others died from “medical emergencies," according to officials.
CLICK HERE TO READ MORE FROM THE WASHINGTON EXAMINER
Former President Donald Trump, who contested the results of the election, was impeached by the Democratic-led House for incitement of insurrection in connection to the attack on Congress, but he was acquitted by the Senate earlier this month.
Stewart, a Georgia resident, allegedly left a threatening voicemail for Stephens on Sept. 18 in which he accused “activist judges” of making rulings on mail-in ballots that favored then-candidate Biden. He faces a six-month sentence and a $1,000 fine as well. The charge filed against Stewart was filed in Wayne County’s 36th District Court in Detroit.
Local reports on Tuesday afternoon said arraignments of the defendants are pending and that no other court dates were set.News Michigan Police U.S. Capitol Police U.S. Capitol Building Capitol
News Source: washingtonexaminer.com
Tags: states states news michigan police u s capitol police u s capitol building capitol county district court office threatening messages conversation the results the capitol riot was charged attorney general during the siege capitol police a threatening involving according was filed the election
National Guard troops defending Capitol reportedly sick after eating raw meat
More On: national guard DC police chief ‘stunned’ by slow National Guard rollout at Capitol riot The militarization of the US Capitol is a disgrace — it needs to end Politicians want answers about National Guard’s lengthy DC deployment Minnesota preps National Guard ahead of George Floyd trials
National Guard soldiers defending the US Capitol have gotten ill after being fed meat that is almost completely raw — with shaved metal also found in the disgusting meals, according to whistleblowers.
An anonymous staff sergeant with the Michigan National Guard told WXYZ that the force has repeatedly complained after more than a dozen troops were sickened by undercooked meat.
“Yesterday, for instance, there were 74 different meals found with raw beef in them,” the sergeant told the station Monday, sharing images of meat that looked completely raw in the middle.
“Just yesterday … soldiers had found metal shavings in their food,” he said.
Undercooked meals that are “good from the start” were then made “even more dangerous” by a delay of up to four hours before they were served, he said.
Despite their key role in defending the Capitol against feared domestic terrorist plots, the troops were also being woefully underfed, the sergeant complained.
A typical breakfast was “maybe a Danish and some sort of juice,” while at times it was “clearly a dinner roll and SunnyD,” the sergeant said.
Another soldier complained last month that “Multiple soldiers have been getting sick and vomiting after eating,” The Detroit News noted.Members of the National Guard walk through the Capitol Visitors Center in the Capitol in Washington, DC.Caroline Brehman/CQ-Roll Call, Inc via Getty Images
“Morale is very bad; many have served overseas and cannot believe the quality of food they are being fed here,” the soldier complained.
Michigan National Guard — which has nearly 1,000 troops still at the Capitol — released a statement Monday calling the reports “very concerning” and “unacceptable,” and said it was dealing with the contractor involved.
“The health and wellbeing of our Michigan National Guard service members is paramount to their success as they continue to serve in missions in the United States and around the globe,” the statement said.Members of the National Guard “cannot believe the quality of food they are being fed here.”BRENDAN SMIALOWSKI/AFP via Getty Images
Gov. Gretchen Whitmer’s office told local media that she had taken up the issue last month and had been assured it had been fixed.
All 14 members of the Michigan House delegation signed a letter Tuesday asking the National Guard to void the food service contract and find another vendor.
“It is completely unacceptable that our men and women serving in Washington, D.C., are being hospitalized due to the food they are being provided,” the lawmakers wrote.
Michigan troops make up about 20% of the 5,200 guard soldiers and airmen supporting civilian law enforcement at the Capitol, The Detroit News noted, with its deployment set to end March 12.
With Post wiresFiled under capitol , capitol riot , food safety , national guard , 3/3/21