This news has been received from: New York Post

All trademarks, copyrights, videos, photos and logos are owned by respective news sources. News stories, videos and live streams are from trusted sources.

More On: scott stringer NYC mayoral hopefuls quiet on COVID-19 nursing home deaths Jewish vote up for grabs in 2021 NYC mayoral race as primary approaches Yang tops Adams, Stringer in poll of Democrats vying for NYC mayor NYC’s pension funds to divest $4 billion from fossil fuels

New York City Comptroller Scott Stringer is looking to loosen strict rules that govern private-equity firms managing the city’s pensions — a potentially risky policy switch that he claims will improve returns, The Post has learned.

Specifically, Stringer — a Democrat running for mayor in this year’s election — is urging trustees of the city’s pensions to lift a blanket rule on Wednesday that has required private-equity firms to pay their own bills if they get into scrapes with regulators or end up in litigation with investors, according to a memo obtained by The Post.

Lifting the rule — which was imposed in 2016 as a precaution after a slew of big buyout firms including Carlyle Group, Blackstone Group, KKR and TPG were forced to pay out nearly $600 million to settle a civil collusion case — could potentially saddle taxpayers with millions of dollars in liabilities.

Indeed, city officials imposed the so-called “GP Expenses Provision” after Carlyle Group, headed by billionaire David Rubenstein, stuck its own investors with more $100 million in payouts related to the collusion case in 2015, sources said.

Despite such concerns, Stringer argues that the rule has lately deprived the city’s pensions for employees, teachers, police and firefighters of promising deals with top-performing buyout firms. Last year, three such deals worth a total of $843 million fizzled because of the rule, according to the memo from Deputy Comptroller Alex Done.

Silver Lake Partners, a Silicon Valley-based fund, scrapped talks with the city last June to manage $313 million for New York City because of the rule, he said. A month later, Nordic Capital and a co-investor skipped out of a $280 million deal. And in September, talks fell through with Chicago-based Thoma Bravo to manage $250 million for city workers, according to the memo.

Silver Lake, Thoma Bravo and Nordic Capital all declined to comment.

“Each of these managers has delivered first-quartile historical track records” and all of the funds were oversubscribed at the time, Done wrote. “These missed opportunities (and any future missed opportunities) of high-performing, in-demand managers have the potential to negatively impact [city pensions’] ability to maximize risk-adjusted returns.” 

He added that the city would keep restrictions in place in cases where a buyout firm’s “past behavior” suggests that taking on its legal risks wouldn’t be a good idea. 

In the case of Silver Lake, the fund has been snagged with multiple suits over alleged improper behavior. In 2014, Silver Lake agreed to pay $29.5 million for its role in the civil collusion suit that prompted New York’s 2016 clampdown. Now, Silver Lake is being sued by investors in satellite operator Intelsat over alleged insider trading. Silver Lake has denied the allegations.

Stringer argues that the rule has lately deprived the city’s pensions for employees, teachers, police and firefighters of promising deals with top-performing buyout firms.LightRocket via Getty Images

“We are currently the only pension system with this uniquely stringent requirement and the trustees are engaged in a discussion about impacts to competitiveness,” a spokeswoman for Stringer said in a statement on Tuesday. “As a fiduciary, the Comptroller believes in holding private-equity funds accountable for their own wrong-doing and is working with the trustees to ensure we maintain the best possible investments for the funds.” 

New York City’s pensions representing 584,000 members have a total of $12.8 billion invested in private equity, according to a July report by private-equity lobbying group, the American Investment Council. That makes it the eighth-biggest investor in private-equity funds among public pensions, the report said.

Nevertheless, the city’s pensions only managed to allocate 6.8 percent of their assets to private equity as of last June, missing a target of 8 percent, according to a 2020 financial report by the city. That’s despite the fact that the city expects PE’s yearly rate of return will be 11.2 percent, dwarfing that of stocks or bonds, according to the report.

Now, the city is looking to raise this year’s allocation of funds to private equity by 40 percent to $5 billion, and Stringer frets that competition to invest with top private-equity managers is growing. 

“With zero or negative interest rates across much of the world right now, more money is expected to flow into private markets and amplify the competition for allocations to strong managers,” according to the memo.

There may be a way for New York City, however, to reach that target without caving to pressure from the buyout firms, said Jordan Thomas, a partner at law firm Labaton Sucharow who is a former assistant chief legal counsel for the Securities and Exchange Commission’s division of enforcement.

“If I were New York City and I really cared about this, I would go to CalPERS and join together,” Thomas said, referring to the California Public Employees Retirement System, the nation’s biggest pension fund. “I think this is eminently doable but they need some backup.” 

“I think what New York City asked for is not crazy,” Thomas said of the GP Expenses Provision. “The most baffling thing about security laws is you can do bad things if your investors agree to it.”

Filed under pensions ,  private equity ,  scott stringer ,  silver lake ,  2/23/21

News Source: New York Post

Tags: search scott stringer pensions private equity scott stringer silver lake this year’s the city’s private equity firms for new york city in private equity to private equity scott stringer scott stringer according is looking that the city over alleged pension fund thomas said silver lake nyc mayoral million

FBI Director Wray denies that fake Trump protesters were involved in Jan. 6 assault on Capitol

Next News:

Chicago mayor eyes changes to search warrant policies

Chicago Mayor Lori LightfootLori LightfootChicago teachers approve agreement to return to class America is learning the devastating power of teacher unions Atlanta students who fell behind during pandemic may face mandatory summer school MORE (D) on Wednesday unveiled proposed reforms to her city’s search warrant policies amid calls for change following the raid that wrongly targeted the home of Anjanette Young in 2019.

Lightfoot's office said in a press release that the new proposed policies would require search warrants to be approved by a deputy chief or higher, several ranks above the lieutenant level currently required for approval.

“No-knock” warrants would also be banned except for when safety threats are present. These warrants would have to be approved by a bureau chief and be executed by SWAT, according to the guidelines.

Female officers would be required to be present when all search warrants are served and a lieutenant or higher must also be present.

Officers would be required to conduct planning sessions before search warrants are executed. An independent investigation of the raid would be performed beforehand in order to ensure the information used in the warrant was accurate. 

“The reforms to CPD’s search warrant policy follow a detailed, comprehensive and above all transparent process which build upon our ongoing efforts to ensure Chicago’s values of accountability and fundamental human dignity are respected and preserved,” Lightfoot said in the release. “What Ms. Young experienced served as an abrupt wake up call to our entire city to the reforms our city needs and our values demand. Every step we have taken and we continue to take will be with that goal in mind.”

Body cam footage from the Chicago Police Department was released last year that showed officers breaking into Young’s home and handcuffing her while she was naked. Young repeatedly told the officers that they were in the wrong home and that she lived alone.

The suspect officers were looking for was next door, but officers had been given inaccurate information. The suspect also reportedly wore an electronic monitoring device at the time of the raid.

Chicago city officials had attempted to block the release of the footage, a move that Lightfoot said she would have stopped had she been advised of it beforehand. Lightfoot originally claimed to have been unaware of the footage before it aired on television, but later acknowledged that she had been notified of it in November.

Soon after local news station CBS 2 aired the footage, Lightfoot announced that the officers involved in the raid had been “taken off the street.”

Tags Lori Lightfoot Searches and seizures Chicago Police Department Search warrant Chicago

Other News

  • Horizon Technology Finance (HRZN) Q4 2020 Earnings Call Transcript
  • Equity, Efficacy Concerns a Potential Challenge for New Vaccine Rollout
  • Tesla could be one of the most valuable software firms: UBS
  • SEC focuses attention on conflicts of interest in financial advice for seniors, retirement savers
  • Comptroller Stringer calls on de Blasio to give up COVID-19 emergency powers
  • Private equity firm acquires Michaels in $5 billion deal
  • Canada Tech Firms That Benefitted Under Trump, Could Lose Out with Biden
  • Germany Seeks to Improve Oversight of Firms' Delivery Chains
  • Germany seeks to improve oversight of firms delivery chains
  • Dallas Mavericks star Luka Doncic takes equity stake in sports nutrition start-up BioSteel
  • Foreign Firms Should Suspend All Myanmar Business, Former U.N. Expert Says
  • Gov. Larry Hogan Defends Controversial Response Over Baltimore City COVID-19 Vaccines
  • COVID In Colorado: Equity Clinic Aims To Vaccinate 1,000 Latinos In Weld County
  • Microsoft: China-Based Hackers Found Bug to Target US Firms
  • New report offers framework to address COVID-19 vaccine racial equity in DC
  • Adams 12 Asks For COVID Quarantine Equity Between Students, Student Athletes
  • Andersen Global Starts Expansion in Bermuda
  • REPORT: Arizona Education Department Provides ‘Equity Toolkit’ That Shows Racism Starts At 3 Months Old
  • Preparing for next vaccine phase, Montgomery Co. urges more sign-ups to boost equity