Feb 23, 2021
CNN sports anchor 'not entirely surprised' by Tiger Woods accident, cites past use of 'painkillers'
This news has been received from: FOX News
All trademarks, copyrights, videos, photos and logos are owned by respective news sources. News stories, videos and live streams are from trusted sources.
CNN sports anchor Andy Scholes was forced to walk back remarks he made on air Tuesday after golf star Tiger Woods was injured in a car wreck.
Scholes appeared on the cable network to weigh in on the accident shortly after news broke that a car driven by Woods had tumbled off a steep road in Rancho Palos Verdes, California.With little information available about the accident, Scholes speculated that the sports legend's past use of painkillers may have had something to do with the accident
"What are your thoughts right now?" CNN anchor Brianna Keilar asked Scholes.
"I mean, Brianna, you know, stunned I guess but not entirely surprised by what we're seeing here," he answered. "You know, Tiger in 2017 was found by police pulled over on the side of the road asleep in his car. He had said he had taken a lot of painkillers at that time, because we all know Tiger has gone under a lot of surgeries over the years and painkillers have become part of his life."
TIGER WOODS IN SURGERY AFTER SUFFERING 'MULTIPLE LEG INJURIES' IN SERIOUS CRASH, AGENT SAYS
Scholes' comments led to backlash on social media, causing the CNN personality to offer multiple apologies. Authorities said during a press conference that they found "no evidence of impairment" in their initial investigation of the accident
CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP
"I’m sorry. This was delivered poorly," he told one Twitter user.
In response to another critic who accused him of being "completely insensitive," Scholes said he "didn’t mean for it to come out that way."
CNN did not immediately respond to Fox News' request for comment.Joseph A. Wulfsohn is a media reporter for Fox News. Follow him on Twitter @JosephWulfsohn.
News Source: FOX News
42 people including students abducted last week in Nigeria released
Lagos, Nigeria (CNN)At least 42 people, including students, who were kidnapped last week in an armed raid at a state-run school in Kagara in Niger state, northwest Nigeria, have been released, the vice-principal of the school, Mallam Saidu, told CNN Saturday.The released group included 27 students, teachers and family members, the state government said in a statement at the time of the kidnapping.The gunmen, wearing military fatigues according to witnesses, stormed the Government Science Secondary School Kagara on February 17. A student who died during the attack was named as Benjamin Habila.
Breaking News: The Abducted Students, Staff and Relatives of Government Science Collage Kagara have regained their freedom and have been received by the Niger State Government— Governor Niger (@GovNiger) February 27, 2021 This comes as hundreds of schoolgirls were abducted in the early hours of Friday when armed men raided a state-run school in Zamfara State, northwest Nigeria. Read MoreThe schoolgirls were taken from their hostels by gunmen who raided the Government Girls Secondary School in the town of Jangebe, a high-ranking government official with knowledge of the incident told CNN.