Feb 23, 2021
Memorials, lawsuit mark death anniversary of Ahmaud Arbery
This news has been received from: FOX News
All trademarks, copyrights, videos, photos and logos are owned by respective news sources. News stories, videos and live streams are from trusted sources.
When white men armed with guns pursued and killed Ahmaud Arbery as he ran through their neighborhood, few outside the Georgia port city of Brunswick paid much attention at first.
A year later, as three men await trial in the Feb. 23, 2020 slaying, those closest to the 25-year-old Black man sought to make sure Arbery’s death isn’t overlooked again.
Arbery’s mother filed a civil lawsuit Tuesday accusing the men charged in her son’s death and local authorities who first responded to the shooting of violating his civil rights. The complaint filed by Wanda Cooper-Jones in U.S. District Court seeks $1 million. Attorneys for the men charged with killing Arbery say they suspected he was a burglar and committed no crimes.
Members of Arbery’s family in Brunswick were expected to join a memorial procession Tuesday evening in the Satilla Shores subdivision where he fell bleeding in the street from three close-range shotgun blasts. Other relatives planned a candlelight vigil at a church in Waynesboro, where Arbery is buried in his mother’s hometown. At the Georgia state Capitol in Atlanta, Democratic lawmakers joined civil rights activists to mark the anniversary.
"It is important to remind people of the origins, when it all started," said Jason Vaughn, Arbery’s high school football coach and an organizer of the Brunswick event. "For a long time, it was like we were yelling into the dark, and nobody was listening."
AHMAUD ARBERY'S KILLER USED RACIAL SLURS IN TEXTS, SOCIAL MEDIA POSTS, PROSECUTORS CLAIMVideo
Immediately after the shooting, police interviewed the men who chased Arbery down, and let them walk free. The first prosecutor assigned to the case saw no reason to bring charges. Pleas for justice by Arbery’s family went largely unheard as Georgia and the nation entered lockdown in the coronavirus pandemic.
Arbery had been dead for more than two months when a cellphone video of the shooting was leaked online May 5 and a national outcry erupted. The Georgia Bureau of Investigation took over the case the next day and swiftly arrested the shooter, Travis McMichael; his father, Greg McMichael; and neighbor Roddie Bryan on murder charges.
Outrage over Arbery’s slaying still simmered when a Minneapolis police officer killed George Floyd on May 25, igniting protests across the U.S. denouncing racial injustice.
In Brunswick, the death of Arbery served as a wake-up call to many residents, both Black and white, that they need to be more active in holding elected officials accountable, said the Rev. John Perry. He served as president of the Brunswick NAACP chapter at the time of the killing. Now he’s running to be the city’s next mayor.
"Previously, we elected people into office and just trusted that they would do the right thing," Perry said. "The failure to carry out justice in the Ahmaud situation said we needed to do more as citizens."
GEORGIA FATHER, SON CHARGED IN AHMAUD ARBERY KILLING DENIED BAIL AFTER 2-DAY HEARINGVideo
In November, voters angered by Arbery’s death ousted District Attorney Jackie Johnson. Greg McMichael had worked as an investigator for Johnson, who many blamed for playing a role in the delayed arrests, an accusation she denies.
Meanwhile, Republican Gov. Brian Kemp is asking Georgia lawmakers to all but eliminate an 1863 state law authorizing private citizens to make arrests. The prosecutor first assigned to the Arbery case cited that law in concluding the killing was justified.
The McMichaels’ lawyers have said they pursued Arbery suspecting he was a burglar after security cameras had previously recorded him entering a home under construction. They say Travis McMichael shot Arbery while fearing for his life as they grappled over a shotgun. It was Bryan, the third defendant, who took the cellphone video of the shooting from the driver’s seat of his pickup truck.
Prosecutors have said Arbery stole nothing and was merely out jogging when the McMichaels and Bryan chased him. They remain jailed without bond.
The anniversary march and memorial run have been organized by the 2:23 Foundation, a group founded by Vaughn and Arbery’s cousin, Demetris Frazier, to fight systemic racism.
The foundation worked last fall to register 18-year-old high school students to vote. Now its members and other local activists are lobbying for the creation of a citizen review panel for the Glynn County Police Department, which initially responded to Arbery’s slaying.Video
THIRD MAN ARRESTED IN AHMAUD ARBERY SHOOTING ADMISSION RECORDED BY POLICE BODY-CAM
Vaughn, who coached Arbery at Brunswick High School, said planning for the anniversary has been taxing. For him, Arbery’s slaying remains painfully fresh.
"You want to make sure you keep Ahmaud’s name alive, but it’s like reading an obituary over and over again," Vaughn said. "It’s like reliving the past all over again. You’ve got to stay strong."
News Source: FOX News
Tags: security innovation computers video games military tech careers security innovation computers video games military tech careers arbery’s slaying arbery’s family arbery’s death in ahmaud arbery travis mcmichael the brunswick the men charged the anniversary assigned the anniversary greg mcmichael ahmaud arbery civil rights in brunswick responded to make sure the killing high school the georgia the georgia
Dancing Tik Tok Doc accused of sexual abuse in $45 million lawsuit
More On: TikTok California Gov. Gavin Newsom appears to post TikTok inside restaurant, denies eating there TikTok ‘Call Your Dog’ challenge stumps golden retriever Teen TikToker allegedly murdered disabled sister day after going viral Woman regrets very unfortunate tattoo she got just before pandemic
The anesthesia resident’s uplifting videos of him dancing in scrubs at his Oregon hospital went viral during the initial stages of the coronavirus pandemic lockdown.
Now, the former “Good Morning America” guest is accused of sexually abusing a former co-worker at the Veteran Affairs Medical Center in Portland, according to the Oregonian.
Friday’s federal lawsuit accuses Campbell of harassing a social worker at the hospital, and sending her a pornographic photo and lewd text messages in the first three months of 2020, the newspaper reports.
“Plaintiff was terrified and yelled at Dr. Campbell to leave,” the suit reportedly said. “Plaintiff followed up with a written message, ‘Don’t EVER surprise me by getting in my physical space,’” according to the report.
Campbell, 32, reportedly responded by text, “I should’ve asked. I’m sorry.”
The suit reportedly names Oregon Health & Science University, which employed Campbell and gave him access to the hospital. The plaintiff complained to OHSU about Campbell’s behavior in April, and it concluded he had violated its harassment policy, but no punishment was doled out, the newspaper reports.
Veterans Affairs police were also notified by the accuser. An investigator reportedly forwarded the cast to federal prosecutors, who declined to press charges.
The suit claims that OHSU leaders helped “bury” the complaints, and continued to glorify the dancing doc’s good press, the Oregonian reports.
Campbell told reportedly told investigators his messages were of a “mutual” nature, and the incident the plaintiff reported in the office was a misunderstanding. He also reportedly stated he had no records of their electronic communication.
OHSU investigators found his explanation to be uncredible, and found 160 pages of electronic messages between the two via text, Instagram and Facebook the paper said.
In one instance, Campbell sent a self-deleting photo on Instagram to the unnamed accuser, showing a picture of his groin with an erection visible through his pants, the suit alleges, according to the Oregonian.
She reportedly responded, “Don’t you have a girlfriend?”
He replied, “Oh that last picture somehow snapped while I was trying to send you a video explaining this crazy case I have,” according to the OHSU report, the paper said.
“The totality of the messages leaves the reader with a firm feeling that Campbell intentionally pushed the envelope of sexual innuendo despite multiple warnings” from the woman, the OHSU investigators reportedly wrote.
Despite the findings, the lawsuit said OHSU failed to protect the accuser from Campbell’s alleged sexual misconduct.
“OHSU does not condone behavior as described in the lawsuit. We are continuously working to evolve our culture, policies and practices to provide an environment where all learners, employees, patients and visitors feel safe and welcome,” spokesperson Tamara Hargens-Bradley wrote in an email to the newspaper.
“We take our role seriously in being part of the change that needs to happen across our country to end discrimination and power dynamics that allow for harassment,” she said.
The lawsuit reportedly alleges sexual assault, battery, intentional emotional distress, invasion of privacy and negligence against Campbell and OHSU.Filed under doctors , lawsuits , sexual abuse , TikTok , 2/28/21