Feb 23, 2021
Accused Texas School Shooter to Remain at State Hospital
This news has been received from: usnews.com
All trademarks, copyrights, videos, photos and logos are owned by respective news sources. News stories, videos and live streams are from trusted sources.
JUAN A. LOZANO, Associated Press
HOUSTON (AP) — A student accused of fatally shooting 10 people at a Texas high school in 2018 will spend up to another 12 months at a state mental health facility as doctors say he remains incompetent to stand trial, his attorney said Tuesday.
Dimitrios Pagourtzis, 20, has been receiving mental health treatment at the North Texas State Hospital in Vernon since early December 2019.
He was initially committed for 120 days. But doctors in March 2020 determined he was still incompetent and he was ordered to stay another 12 months, said Nick Poehl, one of Pagourtzis’ attorneys.
“We’re nearing the expiration of that and so that’s why the hospital sent us a report indicating he still is not restored to competency. So, we just reupped for up to another 12 months,” Poehl said.
An order continuing Pagourtzis’ hospitalization was to have been signed by Judge John Ellisor on Tuesday.
Poehl said he could not discuss specific details of Pagourtzis’ treatment due to privacy issues. But he said his client’s treatment has been impacted by the coronavirus pandemic.
“In terms of the normal resources and tools that the hospital can bring to bear for the last year or thereabouts, some of that has been curtailed. That just doesn’t affect him but affects every patient there,” Poehl said. “The hope is as we head back toward normal, some of that will improve.”
The issue of Pagourtzis’ competency relates to his current state of mind and not his state of mind at the time of the shooting, Poehl has said.
A spokesman for the Galveston County District Attorney’s Office, which is prosecuting Pagourtzis, did not immediately return a phone call seeking comment.
Pagourtzis is charged with capital murder for the May 18, 2018, attack at Santa Fe High School, which is about 50 miles (80 kilometers) southeast of Houston. Because he was 17 at the time of the attack, he is not eligible for the death penalty. His trial had been set to start in February 2020.
Pagourtzis also faces federal charges in a sealed criminal case.
Follow Juan A. Lozano on Twitter: https://twitter.com/juanlozano70
Copyright 2021 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Tags: Associated Press, infectious diseases, school shootings, mental health, Texas, health, coronavirus, crime, violence, lung disease, education
News Source: usnews.com
Tags: news associated press associated press associated press infectious diseases school shootings mental health texas health coronavirus crime violence lung disease education countries news at the time associated press state hospital state of mind up to another mental health some the hospital
No hate crime charges lodged against man accused in Lower Manhattan stabbing
More On: stabbings Hundreds rally in NYC to protest attacks on Asian Americans 1 dead, at least 3 injured in knife fight outside NYC gambling den Fight over a light leads to stabbing in Connecticut dorm room Suspect in stabbing of Asian man tells cops, ‘I don’t like the way he looked at me’
Expected hate crime charges were not lodged against the 23-year-old Bensonhurst man accused of randomly attacking an Asian stranger who was walking down a Lower Manhattan street Thursday evening.
But while prosecutors have determined that racial bias can’t be proven in the attack, it remains a heinous crime, according to court papers that emerged from suspect Salman Muflihi’s arraignment early Saturday.
“This case is every New Yorker’s worst nightmare,” Assistant District Attorney Adam Johnson told Judge Anne Swern in Manhattan Supreme Court, “to be attacked by a complete and total stranger with a large knife for no reason at all.”
The victim, who remains in Bellevue Hospital with a punctured liver and other injuries, had been walking on Worth Street around 6:20 p.m. when Muflihi, wearing dark clothes and a mask, grabbed him from behind and plunged an 8-inch knife into his back, court papers allege.
Cops involved in the arrest the night of the attack said Muflihi told them, “I don’t like the way he looked at me.”
An eyewitness told investigators Muflihi said, “I’m sorry” as he ran off, court papers said.
A short time later, Muflihi walked into the nearby District Attorney’s office at One Hogan Place and told security that he had just “stabbed a guy up the block,” and asked where the police were.
He repeated his confession during his arrest proceeding, Johnson told the court, adding that Muflihi said, “if he dies, he dies. He doesn’t give a f—.”see also
Johnson said the victim may in fact not survive. In addition to the punctured liver, he suffered major internal bleeding. Doctors also removed one of his kidneys and his adrenal gland. He remains in critical condition.
Swern set bail at $500,000.
He was charged with attempted murder in the 2nd Degree, a B violent felony; along with first degree assault, a B felony; second degree assault, and criminal possession of a weapon.
He faces 5 to 25 years in prison. Prosecutors said additional charges could be added as the investigation continues.
Muflihi has a criminal history that includes a guilty plea to third degree assault in 2019, and he has an open misdemeanor assault case from Brooklyn, where he attacked a stranger for no reason in a bodega, court papers said.Salman Muflihi will not face hate crime charges stemming from a stabbing incident in Manhattan.Peter Gerber Filed under chinatown , crime , nypd , stabbings , 2/27/21