Thursday, Feb 25, 2021 - 13:29:11
1000 results - (0.010 seconds)

the Congress:

Rep Dean Phillips, D-Minn., told fellow Democrats on Thursday that it took last month’s riot at the Capitol for him to truly understand what "privilege" means. Democrats, led by Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, D-N.Y., held an hour-long session and shared their personal experiences of the Jan. 6 riot. No Republican joined the meeting. Phillips said at one point during the incident, he considered moving to the Republican side of the chamber to blend in and hopefully be spared by the mob. OCASIO-CORTEZ CAMPAIGN URGES SUPPORTERS TO REPORT CRITICS TO TWITTER AND FACEBOOK "But within moments, I realized that blending in was not an option available to my colleagues of color," he said, growing emotional. "So I’m here tonight, to say to my brothers and sisters in Congress and all around our country, I’m sorry. I’m sorry. For I have never understood—really understood what privilege really means. It took a violent mob of insurrectionists...
    Rep. Dean PhillipsDean PhillipsLawmakers say they are 'targets,' ask to boost security Marjorie Taylor Greene expressed support on Facebook for violence against Democrats Democrats poised to impeach Trump again MORE (D-Minn.) gave an emotional address on the House floor Thursday evening, saying he had not fully understood privilege until the deadly Jan. 6 Capitol riot. Addressing the House, Phillips recounted the events of Jan. 6, recalling that lawmakers had looked for objects to defend themselves when the Capitol was breached and realized “a pencil is about all we had.” “But I'm not here this evening to seek sympathy or just to tell my story [but] rather to make a public apology,” said Phillips. “For recognizing that we were sitting ducks in this room as the chamber was about to be breached. I screamed to my colleagues to follow me, to follow me across the aisle to the Republican side of the...
    Washington (CNN)The Biden administration has repeatedly floated plans to ramp up Covid-19 vaccine production through the Defense Production Act, which was passed in 1950 in response to the Korean War. "It was invoked, and it means our work is ongoing with companies to ensure that we are expediting the manufacturing of materials to ensure that we can get 100 million shots in the arms of Americans," White House press secretary Jen Psaki said last week. While the new administration has yet to announce any specific deals to ramp up supplies related to Covid-19 vaccine manufacturing or distribution, pressure to utilize the broad authority of the Defense Production Act has mounted alongside concerns about the slow rollout and the risks posed by new coronavirus variants. Here's what the law does and what it might mean moving forward:What does the law do?Read MoreThe 1950 law gives the government more control during emergencies...
    /* Video Hero, upload compressed mp4 files to JWPlayer and grab URLs and add here: */ /* Desktop/Tablet */ /* ****************************************************************************** */ /* CHANGE – Video Hero Desktop URL, 1080P asset from JWPlayer */ /* Desktop Large */ var videoHeroDesktopURL = “https://content.jwplatform.com/videos/3B4pgamZ-r0yi2e87.mp4”; /* ****************************************************************************** */ /* CHANGE – Video Hero Tablet URL, 720P asset from JWPlayer */ /* Desktop Medium */ var videoHeroTabletURL = “https://content.jwplatform.com/videos/3B4pgamZ-gaV8s59T.mp4”; /* Mobile */ /* ****************************************************************************** */ /* CHANGE – Video Hero Mobile URL, 720 asset from JWPlayer */ /* Mobile Large */ var videoHeroMobileURL = “”; /* ****************************************************************************** */ /* CHANGE – Video Hero Small Mobile URL, 480 asset from JWPlayer */ /* Desktop Small */ var videoHeroSmallMobileURL = “”; /* CHANGE: Wide Video poster image url goes here */ var vidPosterWide = “https://www.refinery29.com/images/10295356.jpg”; /* 1920px wide JPG, compress them squoosh.app */ /* CHANGE: Tall Video poster image url goes here */ var vidPosterTall =...
    One of Donald Trump's most ardent supporters has offered to give up his Congressional seat and leave his home to defend Trump during his impeachment trial if he asked, saying he would 'be honored to'. Matt Gaetz, a representative for Florida, said answering Trump's call 'would be the top priority of my life'. The 38-year-old told a podcast hosted by Steve Bannon that in his eyes Trump was the 'greatest president in my lifetime, one of the greatest presidents our country has ever had, maybe the greatest president our country has ever had'. Matt Gaetz told Steve Bannon's podcast that he would give up his seat and home for Trump 'I would leave my House seat, I would leave my home, I would do anything I had to do,' he said The 38-year-old said defending Trump would be 'an honor' and he was ready for the call
    (CNN)It's the recurring Washington dream.Every time there's a new president or when Congress is narrowly divided, a familiar cry is heard — bipartisanship! People recall a mythical golden age when Republicans and Democrats got stuff done — usually digging up a hoary tale about President Ronald Reagan and House speaker Tip O'Neill knocking back sundowners in the 1980s. Sometimes it even seems like a breakthrough is nigh — like when President Joe Biden chatted for two hours with Republican senators Monday. But soon enough, it becomes clear that bipartisanship — a concept that Beltway reporters especially lust over — is what everyone agrees the other side should be doing. On Biden's Covid relief bill, for instance, the two sides are $1.3 trillion apart, leading cynics to conclude Monday's Oval Office dance was a PR stunt on both sides.In the wake of tight elections like the last one, which narrowed Democratic...
    Rep. Mike Gallagher is pushing for fewer monetary incentives in Congress in hopes of realizing former President Donald Trump's promise to "drain the swamp." The Wisconsin Republican introduced bills on Wednesday that would prevent Congress from going into recess without adopting a balanced federal budget, establish a uniform five-year ban on lobbying for members of Congress and senior staff of the executive branch, and terminate publicly funded pensions for lawmakers. "I've been increasingly convinced that major structural reform of Congress is necessary if we're to even have a chance of fixing some of our bigger policy challenges," Gallagher said in an interview with the Washington Examiner. The package was advertised by the congressman as seeking to "Drain the Swamp," a mantra espoused by Trump during his 2016 campaign in seeking to end corruption in government. Gallagher, who handily won reelection in Wisconsin's 8th Congressional District last year, says the legislative...
    Wednesday on Fox News Channel’s “The Faulkner Focus,” Rep. Andy Biggs (R-AZ) sounded off on the Democrats’ push to remove Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-GA) from Congress. This comes as several House Republicans want to remove Rep. Ilhan Omar (D-MN) from her congressional committee assignments because of her antisemitic rhetoric. Biggs noted that Democrats have made “offensive or dangerous statements” while in Congress, whereas Greene was “overwhelmingly” elected after she made her statements. “The Democrats actually have the authority to remove Marjorie Taylor Greene from her committees, but, you know, we’re talking about statements that were made before she was even ever a candidate to Congress,” Biggs argued. “And that I think has some bearing here. … If you want to know how she feels, she will answer, and she will tell you how. And I think that’s appropriate. On the other hand, you have statements from Ilhan Omar, and actually...
    The insurrectionists killed one officer and injured over 100 in an effort to find and assassinate anti-Trump lawmakers. In the aftermath of a pro-Trump insurrection that killed one police officer and appears to have contributed to the suicide deaths of two others, the Department of Veterans Affairs will be sending two "mobile vet centers" to the U.S. Capitol to provide free trauma counseling and other services to U.S. Capitol Police, National Guard members, and congressional staff. Some staffers and members of Congress had to flee for their lives during the Jan. 6 violence. It is now known that some members of the mob that invaded the Capitol intended to assassinate political leaders seen as enemies of Donald Trump. Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez was one of those members, forced to hide as the mob looted offices and searched for their targets. She had to avoid the "extraction point" specified for members of Congress due...
    Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene, R-Ga., walks on Capitol Hill in Washington, Wednesday, Jan. 13, 2021. (AP Photo/Susan Walsh) Rep. Cori Bush (D-MO) recently revealed she is moving her office for the safety of her staff after she was harassed by QAnon conspiracy theorist and Trump cult member Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-GA). This troubling incident is yet more proof that this unofficial, yet odious caucus of the Republican Party has to go — before somebody gets killed. Read More: Rep. Cori Bush moves office away from Greene after being ‘berated’ On Jan. 13, Greene reportedly came from behind Bush — a Black Lives Matter activist-turned-congresswoman from St. Louis — in a tunnel separating the Cannon Office Building from the Capitol Building. Maskless, as people of her ilk usually are, Greene was ranting loudly into her phone. The incident took place only a day after various members of Congress tested positive for...
    The media in Latin America published articles covering the results of XIII on February 2e National Congress of the Communist Party of Vietnam (PCV). Radio National Argentina commends 35 years since the implementation of the radio update The Communist Party of Italy praises the victory of XIIIe National Party Congress Secretary-General Nuan Pu Trung delivers the final address of XIIIe National Party Congress, 1There is February Hanoi. Photo: VNA / CVN Daily website Granma The Cuban Communist Party and several Cuban electronic newspapers published the full text of the congratulatory message from Cuban President Miguel Diaz-Canel on his Twitter account. In his message, the Cuban leader congratulated Kuan Yew on his re-election as Secretary-General of the Communist Party of Vietnam. Cuban News Agency Latin Press He delivered a message from the President of Nicaragua, Daniel Ortega, expressing...
    After months of lambasting former President Donald Trump for mishandling the economy amid the pandemic, President Biden is starting his administration enjoying a favorable economic outlook — an enviable position for a new president but one that economists warn could be wasted with unnecessary or damaging policies. The economy is projected to grow in 2021 at its fastest rate in 17 years, according to a report from the Congressional Budget Office this week, thanks to the legislation passed so far and the record-breaking pace at which numerous successful vaccine candidates were developed, authorized, and distributed. The Conference Board, a nonprofit business research group, also raised its forecasts for 2021, citing "stronger than expected economic indicators in November and December," the relief package passed in December, and "continued progress in the deployment of multiple COVID-19 vaccines." "If the new CBO forecast is an accurate prediction of the economy...
    Congress needs to get to the bottom of whether tech platforms like Robinhood and Discord collaborated with hedge funds to limit trading of shares in companies like GameStop last week, Sen. Josh Hawley, R-Mo., told "America Reports" Tuesday.  Hawley told co-hosts John Roberts and Sandra Smith that "the day traders and retail investors" who drove the surge in the share price of companies like GameStop "have gotten more criticism and more scrutiny now, in the last week, than the people who single-handedly crashed the entire financial system in 2008 and then got bailed out for it." In an op-ed published Monday on the website First Things, Hawley wrote: "The GameStop meltdown has revealed ... that the markets are right and efficient and so forth so long as they’re run by the right people." SEN. JOSH HAWLEY, R-MO.: I mean, this is really extraordinary. You see these big banks, these hedge funds,...
    It was September 2018, while Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey was testifying before Congress for the first time, when sitting lawmakers had their first confrontation with the wild nature of the online right. Nearly 90 minutes after the hearing began, Laura Loomer, a far-right internet celebrity, stood up from the committee audience. “Please help us Mr. President before it is too late,” Loomer yelled, selfie-stick in hand. She said something about “censoring” and then something about “shadowbanning,” although it was hard to make out the argument. “What is she trying to say?” Rep. Billy Long (R-MO) asked, before pretending to lead a live auction, imitating an auctioneer’s call to drown out Loomer’s voice and forcing her out the hearing room. It was a jarring moment, but as Republicans struggle with the rise of QAnon — and, more specifically, the bizarre conspiracies spread by Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-GA) — the...
    Georgia Republican Congresswoman Marjorie Taylor Greene called for Americans to “shut down the streets” and “flood the Capitol building” in a 2019 YouTube video. The video, first reported on by Salon, was filmed in support of a march called “We Will Fund That Wall” that was originally scheduled to be held on Feb. 23, 2019. A Facebook event post indicates that the march was cancelled. Greene was listed on Facebook as a host of the march. Greene speaks for over 89 minutes in the video, during which she endorses using the $14 billion seized from drug lord Joaquin “El Chapo” Guzman to build a wall between the United States and Mexico. Texas Senator Ted Cruz also supported the idea in Feb. 2019. “The idea is stupid simple, but we have retards” in Congress who won’t pass it, Greene said. Greene blasted elected officials, saying they were “screwing America.” “We vote...
    Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene fired back at Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell after he referred to her as a “cancer” in the Republican Party. “The real cancer for the Republican Party is weak Republicans who only know how to lose gracefully,” the Georgia Republican tweeted Monday. “This is why we are losing our country.” The real cancer for the Republican Party is weak Republicans who only know how to lose gracefully.This is why we are losing our country.— Marjorie Taylor Greene ???????? (@mtgreenee) February 2, 2021 Earlier in the day, McConnell referred to Greene as a “cancer” in the Republican Party because of old social media posts promoting conspiracy theories that have prompted Democrats to call for Greene’s expulsion from Congress. Greene has been active on Twitter, defending herself against attacks from Democrats, posting on Tuesday that Congress is more of a threat to people than she is....
    By Jeremy Herb and Manu Raju | CNN The House impeachment managers argue former President Donald Trump should be convicted for inciting the insurrection at the Capitol last month and barred from holding future office, charging that his actions “threatened the constitutional system that protects the fundamental freedoms we cherish.” The House managers laid out their case against Trump in a pre-trial legal brief filed Tuesday morning, in which they accused Trump of stirring up violence against Congress in an attempt to upend the peaceful transfer of power. They also provided a constitutional defense for holding an impeachment trial of a former president. “President Trump’s responsibility for the events of January 6 is unmistakable,” the House impeachment team wrote. “President Trump’s effort to extend his grip on power by fomenting violence against Congress was a profound violation of the oath he swore. If provoking an insurrectionary riot against a Joint...
    The U.S. Senate will hold a historic second impeachment trial of former U.S. President Donald Trump this month, ending with a vote to determine if he is guilty of inciting the January 6 insurrection at the U.S. Capitol.     The former president is facing a charge of “incitement of insurrection” in connection with the mob that invaded the Capitol as U.S. lawmakers met to certify the election results that put President Joe Biden in office.   Here are the House Democrats who will make the case for impeachment: Impeachment Managers The impeachment managers are members of the U.S. House of Representatives who will present the case of impeachment against former President Trump in the Senate chamber. The nine managers take turns speaking, acting like prosecutors in a courtroom, with the goal to persuade two-thirds of the Senate, or 67 lawmakers, to vote in favor of conviction. Trump faces a single...
    The online brokerage Robinhood has taken out a full-page ad in the New York Times saying that it is 'humbled' after recent controversy over its limits on buying certain stocks during the 'meme stock' frenzy fueled by an army of small investors on Reddit. The ad on Tuesday follows massive backlash against the popular trading app, which at one point last week restricted the purchase of 50 different stocks as it struggled to meet capital requirements. Shares of GameStop, the struggling video game retailer that was the focus of a buying campaign on the Reddit forum WallStreetBets, slid another 40 percent in early trading on Tuesday, signaling that the staggering rally might be at an end. AMC, another target of the campaign, dropped another 30 percent. Spot silver prices were also down, after media reports claimed small investors were targeting the commodity, something that was denied by users of WallStreetBets.
    It takes a lot to be kicked out of the United States Congress. In fact, in its entire 231-year history, just 20 Members have been served with the ultimate sanction of expulsion – 15 from the Senate, and five from the House of Representatives. Of these, 17 were removed for supporting the Confederacy rebellion in 1861 and 1862. One of the remaining three was Senator William Blount who was expelled in 1797 for treason after he aided the British to conquer the Spanish territory of West Florida. And in the past 160 years, just two more people have been thrown out: House representatives Michael Myers (1980) and Jim Traficant (2002), both for financial corruption. So, expulsion from Congress is an incredibly rare event (more frequent is the lesser punishment of censure which has been served on nine senators, 23 representatives and just one president, Andrew Jackson). Republican representative Marjorie...
    (CNN)The House impeachment managers argue former President Donald Trump should be convicted for inciting the insurrection at the Capitol last month and barred from holding future office, charging that his actions "threatened the constitutional system that protects the fundamental freedoms we cherish."The House managers laid out their case against Trump in a pre-trial legal brief filed Tuesday morning, in which they accused Trump of stirring up violence against Congress in an attempt to upend the peaceful transfer of power. They also provided a constitutional defense for holding an impeachment trial of a former president."President Trump's responsibility for the events of January 6 is unmistakable," the House impeachment team wrote. "President Trump's effort to extend his grip on power by fomenting violence against Congress was a profound violation of the oath he swore. If provoking an insurrectionary riot against a Joint Session of Congress after losing an election is not an...
    Monday, Fox News Channel host Tucker Carlson opened his program questioning the military presence in Washington, D.C., around the U.S. Capitol. He pointed to some Democrats, who have justified the use of National Guard troops as a means to combat political opinions, as a cause for concern. Transcript as follows: CARLSON: The news is moving with bewildering speed, in case you haven’t noticed. We’ve noticed. No presidential administration has ever changed so many basic institutions and facts of American life, and done it so quickly. We’ve done our best to bring you nightly updates on what’s happening for the week and a half that Joe Biden has been President, but at times, it’s overwhelming, there’s just too much to cover. The other day, for example, we learned that the Biden administration plans to make the tiny District of Columbia, our 51st state, a more corrupt English speaking version of Monaco,...
    Fox News' Tucker Carlson rushed to the defense of QAnon Congresswoman Marjorie Taylor Greene on Monday night as he claimed that she is only being targeted because CNN says she has 'bad opinions'. In the opening of his show, Carlson blasted the push to have the freshman congresswoman from Georgia expelled from Congress, and branded CNN as 'children'.  He branded it the 'new democracy' where 'CNN gets the veto'.  Carlson also claimed that 'free inquiry is dead and unauthorized questions are hate speech', as he criticized attempts to cast the conspiracy-theory-loving lawmaker as 'America's greatest enemy'. His commentary came just after Senate Minority leader Mitch McConnell condemned Green as a 'cancer for the Republican Party' due to her 'loony lies'. House Democrats are currently mounting an effort to formally rebuke the newly elected congresswoman, who has a history of making racist remarks, embracing conspiracy theories, and endorsing violence directed at...
    Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell weighed in on Marjorie Taylor Greene's place in the House Republican conference, saying in a scathing statement that her embrace of conspiracy theories is a “cancer for the Republican Party.” The rare statement from the Kentucky Republican, which did not mention the Georgia freshman congresswoman by name, comes as Greene is facing calls to be stripped of committee assignments or removed from Congress altogether in light of resurfaced comments and social media interactions. “Loony lies and conspiracy theories are cancer for the Republican Party and our country. Somebody who’s suggested that perhaps no airplane hit the Pentagon on 9/11, that horrifying school shootings were pre-staged, and that the Clintons crashed JFK Jr.’s airplane is not living in reality,” McConnell said in a statement, obtained by the Hill. “This has nothing to do with the challenges facing American families or the robust debates on...
    Robinhood CEO Vlad Tenev is likely to be dragged in front of a Congressional committee to explain his company's actions amid a social media-fueled surge in GameStop shares. The brokerage put limits on peoples' trading and sold some customers' shares without notification, leading to accusations of it being in the tank for hedge funds that had bet against GameStop. The retailer's shares rose more than 1,600 percent over the past month as investors traded tips on the Reddit message board. Maxine Waters, the California Democrat who is the powerful head of the House Financial Services Committee, is likely to call Tenev on February 18, Politico reported, citing sources close to the matter. Waters had said on MSNBC this weekend: 'I am concerned about whether or not Robinhood restricted the trading because there was collusion between Robinhood and some of the hedge funds that were involved with this.' Robinhood had said in...
    CNN analyst Gloria Borger on Monday compared President Joe Biden to the late President Ronald Reagan for his approach to stimulus negotiations. “I think they’re making a really big bet here,” Borger said in reference to Biden’s team. “The big bet is that this covid relief package is going to be more popular with the country, including Republicans … than it probably will be with Republicans in the Congress.” Biden and congressional Democrats are seeking to pass a $1.9 trillion plan aimed at economic stimulus related to Covid-19. Republicans in Congress on Sunday proposed a plan worth just $600 billion, with direct payments of $1,000. White House press secretary Jen Psaki “was very careful” at a Monday press conference in “talking about, sort of, unity and bipartisanship,” Borger said, noting that polling showed around 70 percent of Americans support a stimulus proposal that would offer $1,400 stimulus payments to individual...
    WASHINGTON (AP) — Modern American presidents have found that a good way to get off to a fast start in office is to issue decrees like an ancient king. With a pen as their scepter, they “hereby proclaim.” They “order,” “direct,” “revoke” and ”declare,” rendering commandments in regal language drawn from the deep past. President Joe Biden is flooding the zone with them, achieving head-snapping changes in national policy that he would have no hope of getting from Congress quickly, if at all. Easy come, though, can also mean easy go. As President Donald Trump discovered with his hard-charging and often ill-fated executive actions, courts can be quick to shoot them down. Congress can effectively override them and at most they’re only good until a contrarian president takes over and whipsaws off in another direction again. Can transgender troops have a life in the armed forces? Not openly under Trump....
    Left-wing columnist Harold Meyerson has published a column at the American Prospect, a prominent liberal publication, in which he suggests that the entire Republican Party belongs on the domestic terrorism watch list because of the presence of members like Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-GA). He writes: Go to Greene’s Twitter account and you’ll find her liking tweets that called for shooting Nancy Pelosi and executing FBI agents for their “deep state” persecutions of Donald Trump. I suppose the equivalent of that would have been Democratic members of Congress applauding the shooting of House Republican Whip Steve Scalise—except, no Democratic members of Congress did that; rather, they all expressed horror and condemnation. But the Republicans’ indulgence of the Greenes in their ranks—and there are many such—is of a piece with their overwhelming refusal to hold Trump responsible for the insurrection at the Capitol, much less their own current colleagues, such as Arizona’s...
    #BidenLied is trending on Twitter as Americans demand the $2,000 stimulus checks they claim President Joe Biden promised to deliver during his campaign.    The hashtag exploded over the weekend after the Democratic Party posted a tweet outlining Biden's plan to distribute $1,400 stimulus checks to American families, on top of the $600 checks that were approved earlier this month.  Critics expressed outrage at the size of the forthcoming checks - which are expected to get the green light from Congress this week - as they accused Biden of going back on his word.   But in reality the new president never made that promise, instead saying that he would add on to the original $600 checks for a total of $2,000.   #BidenLied is trending on Twitter as Americans demand the $2,000 stimulus checks they claim President Joe Biden promised to deliver during his campaign The hashtag exploded over the weekend...
    Earlier this month, Rep. Ayanna Presley and Sen. Dick Durbin announced a bill to end the federal death penalty. With Democrats in control of Congress and the White House, it’s possible to see the path to passage, as well as a historical irony: President Donald Trump oversaw more executions than any president in decades, and in doing so he galvanized the left, allowing opponents of the death penalty to link each of these executions to systemic problems, from the all-white jury that sentenced Orlando Hall to the history of trauma and mental illness that marked the life of Lisa Montgomery. In the end, Trump’s zeal for the death penalty may end up paving the way for its demise. President Joe Biden has promised to eliminate the death penalty, and even without Congress, he can commute the sentences of the 50 people still on federal death row. His attorney general, Merrick...
    Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich said Saturday that current Speaker Nancy Pelosi is probably “the most dangerous” House speaker in history. Gingrich made the comments to Fox News host Mark Levin on his show “Life, Liberty & Levin” when asked if Pelosi was “the worst” speaker who has ever served in Congress.   “And I would say that she is the most dangerous speaker of the House we’ve had probably in American history because she’s so willing to break the rules and to frankly just say things that are totally untrue,” He said. (RELATED: House Democrat: ‘Assassination Party’ Was ‘Hunting For Nancy Pelosi’) “She lives in an enclave that is guarded in San Francisco,” Gingrich continued. “She is surrounded by left-wing looney tunes who think it is okay to live in a city where you literally … [have a] map you can go to on the internet that shows...
    The Conversation Congress could use an arcane section of the 14th Amendment to hold Trump accountable for Capitol attack If the Senate acquits former President Donald Trump in the upcoming impeachment trial, there’s an obscure other way to punish him. iStock /Getty Images PlusUntil recently, Section 3 of the 14th Amendment was an obscure part of the U.S. Constitution. The amendment is better known for its first section, which guaranteed individual rights and equality following the abolition of slavery. Section 3 of the 14th Amendment was created to tackle a different problem related to the Civil War: insurrection. It prohibits current or former military officers, along with many current and former federal and state public officials, from serving in a variety of government offices if they “shall have engaged in insurrection or rebellion” against the United States Constitution. This section was created after the Civil War as part of the...
            by Mary Rose Corkery  House Speaker Nancy Pelosi called for additional security Thursday to defend against members of Congress seeking “to bring guns onto the floor.” Pelosi said during a press conference that she was in talks to increase security measures because the threat to safety was coming from within the House of Representatives. “I do believe and I have said this all along that we will probably need a supplemental for more security for members when the enemy is within the House of Representatives, a threat that members are concerned about in addition to what is happening outside,” Pelosi said. Pelosi clarified later in the press conference what she meant by the enemy within. “It means that we have members of Congress that want to bring guns on the floor and have threatened violence on other members of Congress,” Pelosi said. https://www.air.tv/watch?v=ya7Qunx6Rz-i3oTOza4p7A Pelosi said...
    Former U.S. Rep. Tulsi Gabbard of Hawaii warned that House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., is essentially playing with fire with her recent "enemy is within" remarks. Pelosi told reporters she thinks Congress will need to provide money "for more security for members, when the enemy is within the House of Representatives, a threat that members are concerned about." The comments were a reaction to the Jan. 6 Capitol riot and subsequent security measures to protect lawmakers. Asked to clarify what she meant, Pelosi said, "It means that we have members of Congress who want to bring guns on the floor and have threatened violence on other members of Congress." GABBARD DOUBLES DOWN ON SLAM OF SCHIFF, BRENNAN AS GREATER DANGERS TO AMERICA THAN CAPITOL RIOTERS During an appearance Friday night on Fox News' "The Ingraham Angle," Gabbard -- a Democrat who decided not to seek reelection to the House when she ran for...
    Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez has been accused of pedaling a 'dark fantasy' about the Republican party in a bid to 'terrify' Americans into submission. The New York congresswoman on Wednesday night claimed the party has had an influx of 'legitimate white supremacists' into its ranks. In the aftermath of the Capitol riots, she told of fearing for her life and even feeling unsafe among her Congressional colleagues, whose motives she distrusted. On Friday night Fox News host Tucker Carlson charged Ocasio-Cortez of stirring up dangerous panic in the country, and creating yet more division. Carlson railed against 'power-mad members of Congress dividing people by race, so they can conquer' and played his viewers a clip of the 31-year-old's appearance on MSNBC on Wednesday. Tucker Carlson on Friday night accused Ocasio-Cortez of setting out to 'terrify' the USA Mediaite Privacy Policy AOC appeared on MSNBC on Wednesday night Mediaite...
    The senators who sold off millions of dollars worth of stock holdings at the beginning of the pandemic may have avoided charges following federal investigations, but to many lawmakers, the episode further tarred the reputation of an institution that already suffers from abysmally low levels of public trust. As a result, a bipartisan group of House members decided that the only way to stop the appearance of corruption is to eliminate any possibility of a conflict between members’ official duties and their personal financial interests. A leading vehicle for that goal is the so-called TRUST Act, which would require lawmakers to place their stock holdings in a blind trust during their time in office. Authored by Reps. Abigail Spanberger (D-VA) and Chip Roy (R-TX), the legislation was first introduced last July, months after several senators were found to have moved large quantities of their stock portfolios after they received briefings...
    When maniacal insurrectionists stormed the United States Capitol on Jan. 6, Rep. Cori Bush, was, like many elected officials, “sitting in our office in lockdown,” fearful of what could come next. More than three weeks later, she says she is still not safe. Confronting the actualized threat of white supremacy from her new position in the House, Bush, a Black progressive Democrat from Missouri, immediately introduced a resolution to expel members who were potentially involved in planning or escalating the calamitous scene. Since then, she contends that the targeting has not subsided—even in the halls of Congress. On Friday, Bush said that Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene—a controversial Republican newcomer from Georgia who has expressed fondness for the baseless QAnon conspiracy—“berated” her in the hallway on Jan. 13, exactly one week after the deadly riot. Taylor Greene, in a tweet with an accompanying video, responded by calling Bush the leader of...
    At the end of a week of having past incendiary comments unearthed and calls for her removal from House committees or Congress, Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene issued a statement to what she called the "mob." "I will never back down. I will never give up," the Georgia Republican said in a statement on Friday. Greene said her reelection campaign has received $1.6 million in small donations from all 50 states "since launching your smear campaign attacks on me." It was revealed this week that her Facebook page "liked" a 2019 social media post saying that "a bullet to the head" would be a "quicker" way to remove House Speaker Nancy Pelosi from office. Another resurfaced video showed her confronting David Hogg, a student who survived the Parkland shooting, when he was advocating for gun reform on Capitol Hill. The end of the week resulted in...
    A growing number of states and members of the U.S. Congress are backing legislation to protect female athletes from competing against men who consider themselves to be transgender women. This is in contrast to President Joe Biden’s focus on expanding “gender identity” rights, including allowing them to serve in the U.S. military. Biden also took early action to decide executively that Title IX, a statute to protect women from discrimination because of their biological sex at schools receiving federal funds, also protects “gender identity.” Politico reported on the bill in at least six states and included talking points favored by LGBT activists who deny the reality of two sexes, i.e. “sex assigned at birth” and “limiting opportunities for transgender athletes”: Lawmakers in Kentucky, New Hampshire, North Dakota, Oklahoma and Tennessee have introduced bills, and possibly more are in the works, according to the ACLU. The Montana House on Monday passed...
    During a news conference on Thursday, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi opened up about concerns over threats she and other members of Congress have received in the wake of the insurrection at the U.S. Capitol on January 6, as reported by ABC News. She admitted that a bill will likely be required to increase funding for additional security measures for lawmakers and noted that much of the unease has been caused by an “enemy is within the House of Representatives.” “It shouldn’t be that not only is the president of the United States inciting an insurrection, but keeps fanning the flame endangering the security of members of Congress, to the point that they’re even concerned about members in the House of Representatives being a danger to them,” Pelosi said in her remarks, which are available on the official website of the house speaker. While she did not specify which members of...
    These are the first pictures of the armed MAGA supporter arrested in possession of a list of lawmakers and 'Stop the Steal' paperwork yards from the US Capitol building on Wednesday.    Dennis Warren Westover, 71, of South Charleston, was charged with gun offences after officers found a pistol and 20 rounds of 9mm bullets during a search of his car.  Cops also found 'Stop the Steal' paperwork and contact information for both US and West Virginia lawmakers in his vehicle.   In a statement, police said they pursued a man who had parked his vehicle in the center of a Washington DC intersection and continued to walk along the road near the American Veterans Disabled for Life Memorial.  Westover was agitated, shouting at National Guard members inside the Capitol fence line perimeter, according to police reports.   The 71-year-old told the arresting officer, 'I wanted to see the fence that was around...
    House Speaker Nancy Pelosi said Thursday that House members can pay for additional security measures with their congressional allowances, and said the House would likely need to pass additional funding for member safety because "the enemy is within the House of Representatives."  "It shouldn't be that not only is the president of the United States inciting an insurrection, but keeps fanning the flame endangering the security of members of Congress, to the point that they're even concerned about members in the House of Representatives being a danger to them," she said.  Asked what she meant by "the enemy is within," the California Democrat said, "It means that we have members of Congress who want to bring guns on the floor and have threatened violence on other members of Congress."  Some Republican representatives, including Andy Harris of Maryland and Lauren Boebert of Colorado, have reportedly expressed a desire or attempted to...
    Illinois Democratic Rep. Mike Quigley on Thursday slammed members of Congress who brought, or expressed their desire to bring, guns to the U.S. Capitol building, calling them “idiots who don’t know what they’re doing.” Quigley appeared on “CNN Newsroom” and discussed, with host Brooke Baldwin, the controversy surrounding Georgia Republican Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene, the desire for some House members to carry their guns in Congress, and the “safety” of he and his Democratic colleagues. (RELATED: Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Says There Are ‘Legitimate White Supremacist Sympathizers That Sit At The Heart’ Of The Republican Caucus) Baldwin began by asking Quigley about Greene and her past social media activity that suggested she supported the executions of members of Congress. “I’m aware of members — a new member who wanted to bring a gun on the floor from Colorado, Mr. Harris from Maryland who tried to bring a gun on the floor,...
    House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) dubbed members of Congress who want to protect themselves with firearms the “enemy” on Thursday, despite repeated calls for “unity” from Democrats. Pelosi said it may be necessary to seek additional fund for representatives to beef up security in the wake of the Capitol riot and anger over the 2020 election: After 30 members sent a letter asking to use congressional funds for security, Pelosi says, “We will probably need a supplemental for more security for members when the enemy is within the House of Representatives…in addition to what is happening outside” https://t.co/bM4co7aVpQ pic.twitter.com/mp4riI63Zc — CNN Politics (@CNNPolitics) January 28, 2021 “We will probably need a supplemental for more security for members when the enemy is within the House of Representatives, in addition to what is happening outside,” she said, referring to elected officials and protesters. Thirty members asked to use taxpayer funds to...
    In the House, Rep. Maxine Waters, who chairs the House Financial Services Committee, said she also intended to hold a hearing. “As a first step in reining in these abusive practices, I will convene a hearing to examine the recent activity around GameStop (GME) stock and other impacted stocks with a focus on short selling, online trading platforms, gamification and their systemic impact on our capital markets and retail investors,” she said in a statement.  News of the hearings comes after Robinhood was hit with a class action lawsuit after it restricted users — more than half of whom own GameStop stock — from trading on Thursday. The company said in an update it would resume “limited buys of these securities” beginning Friday.  Separately, Fox Business reported that Robinhood was anticipating an SEC investigation that “involves market manipulation.” “The SEC somehow goes and looks at the Reddit boards and tries...
    NANCY Pelosi claims "the enemy is within" Congress, days after it was revealed Marjorie Taylor Greene expressed support for executing Democratic politicians, including the House Speaker. Speaking to reporters on Thursday, the Pelosi suggested more money was needed to protect lawmakers from Republican members in the House of Representatives "who want to bring guns on the floor and have threatened violence on other members of Congress". 7 Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi holds weekly news conferences at the US CapitolCredit: Getty Images - Getty 7Marjorie Taylor Greene Credit: AP:Associated Press 7Security remains high in and around entrances to the U.S. Capitol in Washington, DC Credit: Rex Features "I do believe and I have said this all along we will probably need a supplemental for more security for members when the enemy is within the House of Representatives, a threat that members are concerned about in addition to what is happening outside," Pelosi...
    House Speaker Nancy Pelosi called for additional security Thursday to defend against members of Congress seeking “to bring guns onto the floor.” Pelosi said during a press conference Thursday that she was in talks to increase security measures because the threat to safety was coming from within the House of Representatives. “I do believe and I have said this all along that we will probably need a supplemental for more security for members when the enemy is within the House of Representatives, a threat that members are concerned about in addition to what is happening outside,” Pelosi said. Pelosi clarified later in the press conference what she meant by the enemy within. “It means that we have members of Congress that want to bring guns on the floor and have threatened violence on other members of Congress,” Pelosi said. WATCH:   Pelosi said was meeting with Lt. Gen. Russel...
    Sen. Sherrod Brown (D-OH), the incoming chair of the Senate Banking Committee, announced Thursday that he plans to hold a hearing on the “current state of the stock market” in the wake of unprecedented volatility around GameStop, AMC, and other stocks. The volatility has been most pronounced around the retailer GameStop, which has more than quadrupled in value over the past week in the face of a Reddit-organized campaign to boost the company’s value. But with several markets blocking further purchases of the stock to stem hedge fund losses, the incident has sparked a broader conversation about institutional bias in US financial markets. “People on Wall Street only care about the rules when they’re the ones getting hurt. American workers have known for years the Wall Street system is broken — they’ve been paying the price,” Brown said in a statement Thursday. “It’s time for the SEC and Congress to...
    Bradley Cortright January 28, 2021 0 Comments House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) is suggesting that lawmakers need additional security as she claims members of the House of Representatives are facing threats from their colleagues. During a weekly press conference on Thursday, Pelosi said, “I do believe, and I have said this all along, that we will probably need a supplemental for more security for members when the enemy is within the House of Representatives.” “A threat that members are concerned about in addition to what is happening outside,” she added. Watch the video below: Speaker Pelosi says ‘the enemy is within the House of Representatives’ while speaking on member security pic.twitter.com/uWelVnH8On— NowThis (@nowthisnews) January 28, 2021 Later, she was asked to clarify what she meant about the enemy being “within” the House. She said, “We have members of Congress that want to bring guns on the floor and...
    House Speaker Nancy Pelosi said the chamber will likely allocate more money for members of Congress to invest in additional security to protect them from the likes of violent rioters who stormed the Capitol on Jan. 6 -- but also from the "enemy" within the House. "We will probably need a supplemental [budget] for more security for members when the enemy is within the House of Representatives -- a threat that members are concerned about in addition to what is happening outside," Pelosi said during her weekly news conference Thursday at the Capitol.  When asked for clarification on what she means about the enemy within, Pelosi specifically called out fellow members of Congress. "It means we have members of Congress who want to bring guns on the floor and have threatened violence on other members of Congress," Pelosi said. Pelosi's comments came after 32 members of Congress wrote to House leadership Thursday about members facing a...
    Speaker Nancy Pelosi said Thursday that House Republicans pose a threat to Democrats, and she pledged additional federal money to boost security in the Capitol. Pelosi said Congress must pass a supplemental spending bill to provide funds “for security for members, when the enemy is within the House of Representatives of a threat that members are concerned about, in addition to what is happening outside.” Pelosi and Democrats fear Republican members of Congress carrying guns. The California Democrat has installed metal detectors at the doors to the House chamber, prompting protests from GOP lawmakers. When asked to elaborate on the enemies comment, Pelosi told the Washington Examiner, “It means we have members of Congress who want to bring guns on the floor and have threatened violence on other members of Congress.” Some Republican members carry licensed firearms around the Capitol. Guns are prohibited in the House chamber. Pelosi said...
    Speaker Nancy PelosiNancy PelosiOn The Money: Reddit traders cause Wall Street havoc | Powell: Inflation fears should not impede more coronavirus aid | NJ lawmakers press for SALT cap repeal in next relief package Pelosi asks Democrats to 'write their stories' of Capitol riot Bringing America back from the brink MORE (D-Calif.) on Thursday hammered House GOP leaders for putting Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene on the Education Committee, just as revelations have emerged that the Georgia Republican has questioned the veracity of deadly school shootings around the country. "It is absolutely appalling, and I think that the focus has to be on the Republican leadership of this House of Representatives for the disregard that they have for the death of those children," Pelosi told reporters in the Capitol. Pelosi said it's "beyond the pale" that GOP leaders would place Greene on the Education panel. "What could they be thinking? Or...
    This article is republished from The Conversation. Just hours after taking the oath of office, President Joe Biden signed nine executive orders – far surpassing every other president’s first day on the job in modern history. These orders advance urgent issues like COVID-19 response and undo many of Trump’s policies on immigration and environmental deregulation. Biden is not the first U.S. president to issue an executive order, and he certainly won’t be the last. My own research shows executive orders have been a mainstay in American politics – with limitations. Article continues after advertisement What is an executive order? Though the Constitution plainly articulates familiar presidential tools like vetoes and appointments, the real executive power comes from reading between the lines. Presidents have long interpreted the Constitution’s Article 2 clauses – like “the executive power shall be vested in a President” and “he shall take care that the laws be...
    People hold signs during a rally in support of the Supreme Court's ruling in favor of the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program, in San Diego, California, June 18, 2020. A massive coalition of local, statewide, and national groups have a message to send: this is the year to transform the nation’s inhumane and unjust immigration system. The “We Are Home” campaign, co-chaired by Community Change, National Domestic Workers Alliance, Service Employees International Union, United Farm Workers, and United We Dream, is urging the new Biden administration and Democratic Congress to act now and put 11 million undocumented people on a path to citizenship. “Biden introduced a bold and sweeping immigration bill on day one,” campaign steering committee member America’s Voice said. “The new administration has already rolled out eight major executive actions on immigration policy. More are expected this coming Friday. Public support has never been stronger. Democrats recognize...
    Israel to vaccinate athletes for Tokyo Games by May Sporty 2021 Mercedes-Benz E-Class offers tons of luxury performance Best & Worst Refinance Mortgage Companies of 2021 Ad Microsoft Seniors Are Getting These Unsold 2020 SUVs For Dirt Cheap Ad Microsoft Full screen 1/12 SLIDES © Getty Images There's no guarantee, but a third stimulus check certainly appears to be on the horizon. Many people thought the second-round $600 checks were too little, too late. As a result, the push for a third round of payments began before the law authorizing the second-round payments was even signed into law. And now that Democrats control both chambers of Congress and the White House, a third stimulus check almost seems inevitable. But there...
    (CNN)In prepared remarks obtained by CNN, acting US Capitol Police chief Yogananda Pittman told congressional members the department was aware of a "strong potential for violence" and did not take the appropriate steps to prevent the January 6 riot at the Capitol. Read the statement as prepared:
    (CNN)The acting head of the US Capitol Police told congressional members during a closed-door briefing Tuesday that the "department failed to meet its own high standards" on January 6 when a crowd of pro-Trump rioters overran the Capitol building. Acting US Capitol police chief Yogananda Pittman called the insurrection a "terrorist attack" and offered her "sincerest apologies on behalf of the department." In prepared remarks obtained by CNN, Pittman told congressional members the department was aware of a "strong potential for violence" and did not take the appropriate steps. This is a breaking story and will be updated.
    It is doubtful that the House and Senate could tackle the next COVID-19 package until the first week of March, Fox News has learned. But, the process to put a COVID relief measure on the floors of both the House and Senate begins next week. Here’s the problem: How does the Senate move such a measure (still unwritten) and avoid a filibuster? That requires 60 yeas. Moreover, how do Democrats advance a plan in a 50/50 Senate? The answer is "budget reconciliation." It is an arcane, one-year fiscal process that curbs debate in the Senate to only 20 hours. No filibusters allowed. And it only needs 51 votes to pass. BERNIE SANDERS ON DEMS GETTING LEGISLATION THROUGH WITH FILIBUSTER: 'DAMN RIGHT WE WILL' Fox News has learned that the House Budget Committee will prepare a budget "vehicle" on Feb. 1. The measure would likely go to the House floor on...
    By Brian Fung | CNN The biggest tech companies spent much of the last four years in Washington playing defense: Answering to threats of regulation and repeatedly being called before congressional committees; serving as former President Donald Trump’s foil on social media moderation; and protesting his approach to immigration and tariffs. Now, with President Joe Biden in the White House, Big Tech may be hoping to turn a page. The industry’s trade groups are already lining up proposals to the new administration in hopes of shaping a more favorable agenda. But despite Biden’s early moves like overturning Trump’s travel ban targeting majority-Muslim countries and tapping tech industry staffers to serve in his government, Silicon Valley’s future remains as uncertain as ever. Even with Congress under Democratic control — with a razor-thin margin — many of the tech-related challenges for policymakers remain the same. Among them are what to do with...
    (CNN)The biggest tech companies spent much of the last four years in Washington playing defense: Answering to threats of regulation and repeatedly being called before congressional committees; serving as former President Donald Trump's foil on social media moderation; and protesting his approach to immigration and tariffs. Now, with President Joe Biden in the White House, Big Tech may be hoping to turn a page. The industry's trade groups are already lining up proposals to the new administration in hopes of shaping a more favorable agenda. But despite Biden's early moves like overturning Trump's travel ban targeting majority-Muslim countries and tapping tech industry staffers to serve in his government, Silicon Valley's future remains as uncertain as ever. Even with Congress under Democratic control -- with a razor-thin margin -- many of the tech-related challenges for policymakers remain the same. Among them are what to do with an enormously powerful social media...
    While some on both sides of the aisle have scoffed at President Joe Biden’s repeated calls for unity, the coronavirus pandemic, economic recession and millions of Americans struggling as a result make it more critical than ever before. Rep. Tom Reed, a New York Republican, co-chairs the Problem Solvers Caucus, a group of 28 Republicans and 28 Democrats committed to passing bipartisan legislation. “I do think [unity] is attainable,” Reed said in a phone interview with the Daily Caller News Foundation, discussing how suffering inflicted by the pandemic and the violence seen on Jan. 6 amplified the need for Americans to come together. “Our role is only going to get bigger and bigger… and we have stakeholders across the country who are supporting us and counting on us,” Reed said, adding that the extremely narrow congressional majorities but the Problem Solvers Caucus in a position to effectively block legislation...
    The 116th Congress was one of the least productive in history in terms of passing legislation, but the lawmakers set new records for social media use. Members of Congress made more than 2.2 million posts on social media in 2019 and 2020, including 1.57 million Twitter posts and 680,000 Facebook posts, according to data from Pew Research Center. From 2015 to 2016, lawmakers in the 114th Congress made over 1.5 million posts on social media – over one million on Twitter and 484,000 on Facebook. The 116th Congress set a new record, making around 738,000 more social media posts than the 114th Congress, which is when Pew began tracking the data. (RELATED: Current Congress Least Productive Since 1970s, Mired In Social Media Fights And Pointless Bills) NEW: The 116th Congress wasn’t especially productive in terms of the number of substantive bills it passed during its two years in office. But...
    Aghast over former President Donald Trump’s decision to authorize a series of last-minute federal executions before departing the White House, progressives are starting to exert pressure on President Joe Biden to get specific about his timeline and planned approach to ending capital punishment. The argument, shared widely among left-aligned Democrats in Congress and reform advocates, is rooted in the belief that being antithetical to Trump on the death penalty is a crucial first step to eradicating a racially biased criminal justice system. As Biden’s first 100 days in office begin to take shape with no political barriers, many believe the newly elected president has a moral imperative to actively help dismantle racist systems in government early on. And they are not expected to ease up as the administration works through its preliminary priorities. “There’s all kinds of room for what I’ll call ‘political jujitsu’ that’s going to happen on the...
    Democratic Minnesota Sen. Amy Klobuchar said that former President Donald Trump “sent an angry mob down the Mall to invade” the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6. Discussing the impending U.S. Senate impeachment trial on ABC’s “This Week” on Sunday morning, Klobuchar told anchor George Stephanopoulos that although she doesn’t know how her fellow senators will vote, the “facts” are there to convict Trump. WATCH: Klobuchar predicted that there would be “more and more evidence” revealed over the coming weeks that the former president is guilty of the charges against him. “As if it’s not enough that he sent an angry mob down the mall to invade the Capitol, didn’t try to stop it, and a police officer was killed,” she said. “I don’t really know what else you need to know. The facts were there. We saw it right there on the platform during the inauguration as you can...
    Former President Donald Trump listens while participating in a Customs and Border Protection (CBP) roundtable discussion in Sterling, Virginia, on February 2, 2018. Andrew Harrer-Pool/Getty Images A Trump supporter filed a lawsuit making baseless claims of election fraud with the use of "Lord of the Rings" references. Lawyer Paul Davis, who filed the suit, was fired earlier this month after he recorded himself storming the Capitol. The suit explains how the fictional land of Gondor is missing its rightful kings and that a "stewardship" should be issued. Visit Insider's homepage for more stories. A Texas lawyer, who was fired from his job after he recorded himself storming the US Capitol earlier this month, filed a lawsuit that presented baseless allegations of election fraud with the help of bizarre references to "Lord of the Rings." Trump supporter, Paul Davis, filed the lawsuit in the Waco Division of the...
    A group of Democratic lawmakers is preparing a bill to comply with the president’s proposal, Joe biden, to expand tax aid for children under 18, said several officials familiar with the internal negotiations to The Washington Post, on condition of anonymity. The plan the Democrats are preparing would make the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) benefit tens of millions of low-income families in the United States with children through monthly payments. Under the Democratic proposal, which is part of Biden’s plans to tackle child poverty, the IRS would deposit $ 300 monthly checks for each child under 6 years old, as well as $ 250 checks for each child between the ages of 6 and 17. These payments would equal a total of $ 3,600 a year for the youngest children and $ 3,000 a year for those ages 6 to 17. [Cómo beneficiarse de las ayudas de Biden para evitar...
    New York : A group of Democratic lawmakers is preparing a bill to comply with the president’s proposal, Joe biden, to expand tax aid for children under 18, said several officials familiar with the internal negotiations to The Washington Post, on condition of anonymity. The plan the Democrats are preparing would make the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) benefit tens of millions of low-income families in the United States with children through monthly payments. Under the Democratic proposal, which is part of Biden’s plans to tackle child poverty, the IRS would deposit $ 300 monthly checks for each child under 6 years old, as well as $ 250 checks for each child between the ages of 6 and 17. These payments would equal a total of $ 3,600 a year for the youngest children and $ 3,000 a year for those ages 6 to 17. [Cómo beneficiarse de las ayudas...
            by Robert Romano  President Joe Biden’s first day in office began with a flurry of executive orders and other actions, taking out former President Donald Trump’s travel restrictions from countries with known Islamist terrorist activity, stopping further construction of the border wall on an emergency basis, rejoining the World Health Organization, reentering the Paris Climate Accords, and halting the Remain in Mexico policy that had asylum seekers wait out their cases in Mexico before being allowed to enter in the U.S. As these actions occurred in the first place via executive actions by former President Trump, nobody should be really surprised when the new President Biden is able to easily remove them. In short, elections have consequences. However, readers will recall that an effective legal strategy pursued by liberal groups and Democratic states was to challenge Trump’s executive actions, and keep them tangled in federal courts for as long...
    WASHINGTON DC (CBS4)– President Donald Trump’s second impeachment trial is set to start next week and two Colorado lawmakers will lead the prosecution. The nine impeachment managers, who will make the case against Trump, include Representatives Diana DeGette and Joe Neguse. Rep. Diana DeGette (left) and Rep. Joe Neguse (right) (credit: CBS) For DeGette, it’s her second key role in the impeachment of Trump. She presided over debate in the house during his first impeachment. She says, this time, it’s an open and shut case, “Here’s a situation where the entire crime is either on video or on social media.” But Republicans – even some who believe Trump committed an impeachable offense – are raising questions about due process. They say the House rushed to judgement without investigating or holding hearings. Guilty or not, they say, Trump deserves a defense. DeGette says the facts aren’t in dispute, “Donald Trump said...
    REUTERS/Jim BourgSen. Amy Klobuchar speaking on the West Front of the U.S. Capitol during the inauguration of Joe Biden.Welcome to this week’s D.C. Memo.  Two weeks after it was trashed by rioters, the U.S. Capitol provided a serene and majestic backdrop for the inauguration of a new president, with Minnesota Sen. Amy Klobuchar playing a role in the ceremony. We’ll check in with what Minnesota’s delegation thought of the event and note some pushback Seventh District freshman Rep. Michelle Fischbach is getting for her continued backing of unsubstantiated election fraud claims. Here we go: Without a hitch Two weeks to the day after a mob of Trump supporters stormed the U.S. Capitol, the inauguration of President Joseph R. Biden went smoothly and peacefully, amid heightened security. The Associated Press reported that troops in riot gear lined the streets of Washington while armored vehicles and concrete barriers blocked the empty streets...
    Washington — With discussions of how best to hold former President Donald Trump accountable for his role in the January 6 assault on the U.S. Capitol persisting on Capitol Hill even after he's left Washington, an obscure provision of the 14th Amendment has emerged as a possible means of preventing Mr. Trump from holding office in the years to come. Ratified in 1868 after the Civil War, Section 3 of the 14th Amendment states that "no person shall be a senator or representative in Congress" or "hold any office, civil or military" if they, after having taken an oath to support the Constitution, "engaged in insurrection or rebellion against the same, or given aid or comfort to the enemies thereof." The measure allows for Congress to "remove such disability" with a two-thirds vote of the House and Senate. The disqualification provision, scholars say, was meant to keep former Confederate...
    (CNN)US Capitol Police are investigating an incident in which a Republican lawmaker was stopped from bringing a concealed gun onto the House floor on Thursday, sources told CNN, the first time a member of Congress has been discovered with a firearm by the metal detectors now set up outside the legislative chamber. Rep. Andy Harris, of Maryland, set off a metal detector outside the House floor on Thursday and an officer soon discovered it was because he was carrying a concealed gun on his side, a Capitol official told CNN. The officer sent Harris away, prompting him to ask fellow Republican Rep. John Katko, of New York, to hold his weapon. According to a press pool report, Katko refused to hold the gun for Harris, saying that he did not have a license. Harris then left the area and returned moments later, walking onto the House floor without setting off...
    Bloomberg Biden reveals virus plan, warns crisis will worsen (Bloomberg) – US President Joe Biden has unveiled a national strategy to combat the coronavirus, saying the pandemic is likely to kill another 100,000 people over the next month. “We will move heaven and earth to vaccinate more people for free, “Biden noted Thursday at the White House. But he cautioned that” the stark reality is that it will take months before we can vaccinate most Americans. “Biden announced a series of executive orders aimed at reviewing the federal response to the coronavirus outbreak, which has already claimed more than 400,000 lives in the United States. He reiterated his warning that the crisis will get worse before it improves and that the US will experience a “dark winter.” But he encouraged Americans to start wearing face masks more often, saying this simple precaution could save up to 50,000 lives. April. “The...
    New York : Language matters a lot, and President Joe Biden wants to erase the use of offensive terminology towards immigrants in official documents, starting with the expression “alien” or foreigner, in use since 1790, which should be replaced by “non-citizen ”In immigration laws. By announcing the immigration package on your first day in the White House on January 20, the president pointed out that the change is a sign of respect and that he recognizes the United States as a nation of immigrants. “Language matters. The way we describe people sticks, affects how we treat them. Delighted to see this as part of this immigration package, “said Thursday in a tweet the activist Vanessa Parra, by Define American. “How we talk about immigrants shapes the policies. It frames what are the issues really at stake here. It acknowledges that we’re talking about human beings and families.” @joseiswriting #Immigration...
    The Permanent Commission of the Congress of the Union requested the Secretary of the Treasury, Arturo Herrera, and the Undersecretary of Prevention and Health Promotion, Hugo López-Gatell, a detailed report on the country’s situation in the face of the covid-19 pandemic and its economic effects, although the PAN bench accused the majority of Morena of « hiding » the officials and preventing their appearance before legislators. « I don’t know why they want to hide López-GatellWhy do they want to hide federal government officials and do not allow a meeting with the Legislative Power, ”questioned Senator Alejandra Reynoso. When basing the vote of the PAN against the point of agreement, the legislator remarked that the original proposal was to summon officials to a working meeting to explain the increase in infections and deaths from covid-19 in recent weeks. “That is, so many things that should be discussed with the officials of the...
    Joe Biden, with 78 years of life, took office this Wednesday, January 20, as the 46th president of the United States, elected with the largest vote in the history of this country, now populated by more than 300 million people. A member of the Democratic Party, he will have to deal with the shadow of a Republican candidate who has divided his organization, encouraging violent methods, far from the peace that today demands and builds the world. One of its tasks will be to rebuild international relations, which have been weakened by the previous administration. Biden, vice president of his country during the presidency of Barack Obama, returns to the White House with the urgent task of addressing the health and economic crisis, with the majority of representatives in Congress and the support of Women, represented by Jill Biden , the new first lady and Kamala Harris, Vice President and...
    When Thomas Jefferson wrote the Declaration of Independence, he included in it a list of the colonists’ grievances with the British government. Notably absent were any complaints that the British government infringed upon the freedom of speech. In those days, public speech was as acerbic as it is today. If words were aimed at Parliament, all words were lawful. If they were aimed directly and personally at the king -- as Jefferson’s were in the Declaration -- they constituted treason. Needless to say, Jefferson and the 55 others who signed the Declaration would all have been hanged for treasonous speech had the British prevailed. Of course, the colonists won the war, and, six years afterward, the 13 states ratified the Constitution. Two years after ratification, the Constitution was amended by adding the Bill of Rights. The first ratified amendment prohibited Congress from doing what the colonists never seriously complained about...
    WASHINGTON (AP) — The Latest on Joe Biden’s presidential inauguration (all times local): 1:50 p.m. Congressional leaders have presented President Joe Biden and Vice President Kamala Harris with a variety of gifts, including a pair of flags flown over the U.S. Capitol during the inauguration. The presentations to the officials and their respective spouses happened Wednesday in lieu of a congressional luncheon that typically follows the inauguration ceremony. Democratic Sen. Amy Klobuchar of Minnesota said Lenox had crafted a pair of commemorative vases for Biden and Harris, each weighing 32 pounds (14.5 kilograms). House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and Senate Republican leader Mitch McConnell gifted them with a pair of U.S. flags that were flown over the Capitol during the inauguration. McConnell noted that both Biden and Harris served in the Senate and “skipped the House altogether.” House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy and House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer presented photos from...
    Biden and Harris arrived at Congress escorted by police cars in two black vehicles and accompanied by their husbands, Jill and Doug, respectively. | 01/20/2021 | ionicons-v5-c10: 21 | . | Washington.- The president-elect of the United States, Joe biden, and the vice president-elect, Kamala harris, arrived at the Capitol for his inauguration that will begin in an hour and will unfold in a city turned into a fortress with dozens of fences and 25,000 members of the National Guard. Biden and Harris arrived at Congress escorted by police cars in two black vehicles, accompanied by their husbands, Jill and Doug, respectively. The four of them stopped for a moment to speak with some congressmen, like the senator for Minnesota Amy Klobuchar, and they climbed the steps of the Capitol together to greet those present from the top. BOMB THREAT IN THE SUPREME COURT Around the same time, a...
    New York (CNN Business)The federal government didn't act aggressively enough in 2009 to fight the Great Recession. And the economic recovery was weaker as a result.Joe Biden, as former President Obama's vice president, learned that painful lesson firsthand. That's why Biden is taking a go-big, or go-home approach now that he's inheriting a fragile economy and the worst pandemic in a century.Biden's $1.9 trillion American Rescue Plan shows that he's determined to avoid repeating the mistakes of the Great Recession -- if Congress lets him. "If we look back and think this plan was too big, that would be a regret that would be fine to live with," Jason Furman, one of the architects of the 2009 stimulus plan, told CNN Business.Lets address the crisis right in front of us. Get growth going in the economy, which is the best way to pay down that debt." Walmart CEO Doug McMillonFurman,...
    On a momentous week for the future of American foreign policy, a new poll conducted in all fifty states finds that Americans are united in their strong support for the United Nations. WASHINGTON, Jan. 19, 2021 /PRNewswire-PRWeb/ — On a momentous week for the future of American foreign policy, a new poll conducted in all fifty states finds that Americans are united in their strong support for the United Nations. The poll comes on the eve of the inauguration of President-Elect Joe Biden and Vice President-Elect Kamala Harris, upcoming Senate hearings on the nomination of Antony Blinken to be Secretary of State and Linda Thomas-Greenfield for U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations, and the expected policy reversal of key global agreements such as rejoining the Paris Agreement and the repeal of the Global Gag Rule. “When it comes to America’s relationship with the UN, this poll shows there is no...
    Republican Colorado Rep. Lauren Boebert slammed Democratic Tennessee Rep. Steve Cohen on Monday after he suggested she led a tour of the Capitol building before the Jan. 6 riot. All claims of my involvement with the attack on Jan. 6th are categorically false. These lies are irresponsible & dangerous. The left would like to bog my name down in conspiracies because they want to slow down my work for the people of CO-03. I will continue on regardless. — Lauren Boebert (@laurenboebert) January 18, 2021 “All claims of my involvement with the attack on Jan. 6th are categorically false,” Boebert tweeted. “These lies are irresponsible and dangerous.” Boebert then sent a letter to Cohen explaining she gave her family a tour of the Capitol on Jan. 2, and they were present for her swearing in ceremony on Jan. 3. Boebert sends letter to Cohen about allegations. She says she...
    Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell on Tuesday openly declared that President Donald Trump and other conservatives who relentlessly peddled bogus election-fraud claim “provoked” the deadly insurrectionist Capitol riots. In a Senate floor speech, the day before President-elect Joe Biden is sworn into office, the top Republican placed further distance between himself and Trump by squarely blaming the Capitol riots on Trump and his allies. “The last time the Senate convened, we had just reclaimed the Capitol from violent criminals who tried to stop Congress from doing our duty,” the Kentucky senator said, recounting the Electoral College certification that MAGA rioters attempted to squash. “The mob was fed lies,” he continued. “They were provoked by the president and other powerful people. And they tried to use fear and violence to stop a specific proceeding of the first branch of the federal government which they did not like. But we pressed on.”...
    Congressional leaders from both parties will join Joe Biden for mass on Wednesday morning in a show of bipartisan unity before he takes the oath of office. Republicans Mitch McConnell and Kevin McCarthy, along with Democrats Nancy Pelosi and Chuck Schumer, will attend the Catholic service with Biden at St. Matthew’s church in downtown Washington D.C., about 10 blocks from the White House, Punchbowl News reported. It's part of Biden's plan to demonstrate his contrast to outgoing President Donald Trump from the start of his presidency. The mass will come shortly after Trump departs the White House for the last time. The outgoing president has eschewed the traditional trappings that come with a peaceful transfer of power. He did not host Biden at the White House for coffee after the election and will not greet him at front door ahead of the inauguration ceremony. Instead Trump will be at his Mar-a-Lago...
    London (CNN Business)Janet Yellen, the former chair of the Federal Reserve and President-elect Joe Biden's pick to lead the Treasury Department, faces a huge task ahead.What's happening: Not only does Yellen have to shepherd efforts to bring the US economy back from its sharpest contraction on record — she must also convince Congress to get on board with Biden's $1.9 trillion stimulus package, as some lawmakers balk at the price tag.Yellen will make her first big pitch on Tuesday when she testifies before the Senate Finance Committee. "When economists look back on the pandemic, I expect they'll conclude that Congress' actions averted a lot of suffering," Yellen is set to tell lawmakers, according to written testimony obtained by CNN Business. "But more must be done. Economists don't always agree, but I think there is a consensus now:Without further action, we risk a longer, more painful recession now — and long-term...
    On Monday’s broadcast of MSNBC’s “All In,” Rep. Jamaal Bowman (D-NY) said there is an opportunity for Congress to “begin at a new baseline and stop spreading the myth of American exceptionalism” and realize that we “have to deal with the issue of white nationalism seriously in police departments, but also throughout all of America’s institutions.” Bowman said, “[T]his is a chance for all of us in Congress to sort of begin at a new baseline and stop spreading the myth of American exceptionalism and accept the fact that this is exactly who we are and this is exactly who we have been throughout our country’s history. Whenever there’s social progress, there’s white backlash, particularly from the people who believe that this needs to remain a white-dominant nation, and they are afraid of the multi-racial democracy that we are becoming. Right after we send our first African American and Jewish...
    Actors Alyssa Milano and Dave Bautista are among those urging people to sign an online petition that calls for Republican Sen. Ted Cruz to be expelled from the US Senate. The week-old petition posted on MoveOn is addressed to the US Senate and seeks to 'Expel Ted Cruz' for reasons including alleged treason, conspiracy to incite armed insurrection in Washington, DC, undermining rule of law, a coup attempt and sedition.  As of Monday, it has been signed by more than 76,100 people.  Cruz has been the target of fierce criticism in the weeks following the Presidential Election for his role in perpetuating the idea that President-Elect Joe Biden's win had been the result of organized, wide-scale voter fraud and other voting irregularities.  Alyssa Milano (left) and David Bautista (right) have added their support to a petition seeking to expel Sen. Ted Cruz from the Senate based on alleged treason...
    It is an article of faith for many Americans that the Donald Trump years were an aberration and that Joe Biden will usher in something close to normalcy. I’ll take the other side of that bet. I believe the coming years are going to be at least as tumultuous as the Trump presidency. Although Biden will not directly cause that tumult, his weakness as a leader, of his own party and the nation, will help fuel discord and make it impossible for him to forge anything resembling normalcy.  Most of those who think Biden can wave a magic wand blame Trump alone for the deep polarization gripping America. They’re wrong – Trump was elected precisely because the country already was deeply polarized.  JONATHAN TURLEY: TRUMP IMPEACHMENT TRIAL – WHY HIS BEST DEFENSE MAY BE NO DEFENSE Moreover, while Trump’s personality is highly unorthodox, to say the least, he did not single-handedly set in motion the dangerous levels of strife engulfing...
    JOE Biden will not become the 46th president of the US until he is given the oath of office. The same oath is recited by every president during inauguration proceedings. * Read our US Politics live blog for the latest news on Joe Biden, Donald Trump and Wednesday's inauguration 3President George W Bush gets the oath of office in 2005Credit: Christian Science Monitor - Getty What is the presidential oath of office? Joe Biden and Vice President-elect Kamala Harris will be both recite the same oath of office at the January 20 inauguration. The oath reads: "I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well...
    For almost two years, Joe Biden has been telling Americans what he plans to do on his first day in office — and the next 99 — if elected to be the nation's 46th president. In speeches, interviews, and in at least 49 published plans throughout his presidential campaign, Mr. Biden talked about the actions he'd take in the earliest days of his administration — what he would do if he triumphed in what he saw as a "battle for the soul of the nation" against President Trump. Incoming White House chief of staff Ron Klain distributed a memo Saturday that reiterated Mr. Biden's intention to fulfill several of his promises — some geared toward immediate action to arrest the surging coronavirus pandemic, some to roll back the actions taken by President Trump in the last four years, and others to address problems that have persisted over several administrations.  The initiatives...
    LOOK at Civil Rights leaders in living color for the first time ever after a visual historian colorized famous historical figures and events from the Civil Rights Movement. In collaboration with the Library of Congress, visual historian Jordan J. Lloyd took famous public domain historical images from the Civil Rights Movement and brought them to life. 12An original Martin Luther King Jr black-and-white photoCredit: Jordan Lloyd / Unsplash / Library of Congress 12Martin Luther King Jr. colorizedCredit: Jordan Lloyd / Unsplash / Library of Congress 12Rosa Parks in black-and-white 12Rosa Parks in colorCredit: Jordan Lloyd / Unsplash / Library of Congress Lloyd colorized the famous black-and-white photos showing the tremendous efforts leaders such as Rosa Parks and Martin Luther King Jr. took in advancing the civil liberties of all Americans. The set of 20 colorized photos, shared in an Unsplash collection, shows the unique marches, protests and the civil rights...
    Washington (CNN)There are just days to go until President-elect Joe Biden is sworn in, Donald Trump is no longer President and Democrats take control of the US Senate, but rank-and-file members on Capitol Hill are still waiting for signals from leadership about what the first month of Biden's presidency will look like. It seems the uncertainty of the Trump era isn't going to evaporate on Wednesday because Congress isn't quite finished with Trump yet.The status of impeachmentThe focus this week is on Biden becoming the 46th President of the United States, protecting Washington on Inauguration Day and preparing for a peaceful transition of power after the attack on the US Capitol. Talks between incoming Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer and current Majority Leader Mitch McConnell's offices are ongoing about what makes the most sense for the timing of the trial. While Biden has made it clear that he wants to...
    The lawmaker who will lead the second trial against President Donald Trump on Sunday called Trump’s incitement to storm the Capitol “the worst crime ever committed” by a US president. Miami World / AP Democratic Rep. Jamie Raskin did not specify when House Speaker Nancy Pelosi will send the accusation charge to the Senate, but said “it will most likely be soon.” The House of Representatives last Wednesday approved the trial against Trump after the violent assault on the headquarters of the legislature by fanatic supporters of the president. Minutes before the assault, Trump had given a speech to the militants exhorting them to “fight everything” against the legislators who were gathered inside to certify the victory of Joe Biden in the presidential elections. “We are going to be able to tell the story of this attack against the United States and all the events that led to it,” said...
    Disgraced Missouri Senator Josh Hawley is facing an escalating financial crisis after his $5,000 a ticket 'family fun' fundraiser was canceled by a hotel in Florida. The fundraiser was canceled after liberal lawyer Daniel Uhlfelder tweeted a photo of the event on Friday branding Hawley a traitor. He also asked Loews Hotels and Universal Orlando why their Portofino Bay Hotel were hosting the February event for the Republican.  Hawley, 41, once considered a rising Republican star, has been branded a 'traitor' by multiple Democrat and Republican politicians for his highly publicized 'fist pump' to the pro-Trump crowds, who later stormed the Capitol in a violent assault on January 6.  He had spear-headed objections to President-elect's Joe Biden's win in Congress, a narrative that fanned the flames of the attack that killed four.   The hotel chain cancelled Hawley's three-day booking from February 12 shortly afterwards and released a statement saying it...
    Pulitzer-prize winning historian David McCullough delivered this speech to the U.S. Capitol Historical Society in 2016, and it was subsequently collected in The American Spirit: Who We Are and What We Stand For, from which it is reprinted here. So here we are in the Capitol of the United States of America on Capitol Hill, the acropolis of our nation. It is a building like no other in the land, wherein the highest aspirations of a free and open society have been written into law, generation after generation, where, time and again, brave and eloquent words have changed history, and where the best and some of the worst of human motivations have been plainly on display. This magnificent structure has been called “the temple of liberty”… “the spirit of America writ in stone”… “a mighty engine”… “an ennobling shrine”… “a city unto itself.” Thomas Jefferson called it “the great commanding...
    The assault, on January 6, of Washington Capitol by a group of supporters of Donald Trump, has caused an unprecedented political and social earthquake in the United States. The authorities continue to investigate these unprecedented events, and one of the theories is that the protesters they had help from within parliament. The FBI is trying to find out if the assault was premeditated. In addition, according to the BBC, there are several Democratic congressmen who believe that some of their counterparts Republicans supported the coup. This Friday, the Prosecutor’s Office revealed that the assailants had the objective of capturing and assassinating congressmen. The claim is based on some of the protesters wearing handcuffs and plastic ties. One of the most frequently asked questions is how the protesters got so far, which puts the Capitol police in the trigger. In addition, critical voices point out that the assault could be...
    The Democratic Party’s twin Senate victories in Georgia on Jan. 5 gave it full control of Congress and the White House, giving President-elect Joe Biden at least two years to pass parts of his agenda. With Democrats retaking the Senate they will be able to control congressional committees, allowing them to hold hearings and issue subpoenas of their choosing. They’ll also have enough votes to confirm judicial nominees without Republican support. But they likely will not have enough support to pass many progressive priorities like court-packing and the Green New Deal, since Senate rules allow lawmakers to filibuster most pieces of legislation, essentially allowing them to block its passage. The Democratic Party’s twin Senate victories in Georgia on Jan. 5 gave it full control of Congress and the White House, giving President-elect Joe Biden at least two years to pass parts of his agenda with Republicans powerless to...