Thursday, Mar 04, 2021 - 13:38:33
175 results - (0.000 seconds)

lung cancer:

Larry King, the 87-year-old broadcasting legend best known for his long-running guest interview show on CNN, has been diagnosed with COVID-19, it has been reported. The former Larry King Live host has been hospitalized in Los Angeles, according to Roger Friedman’s Showbiz 411. Southern California has been the site of one of the country’s worst coronavirus case surges. Larry King, the 87-year-old broadcasting legend best known for his long-running guest interview show on CNN, has been diagnosed with COVID-19, it has been reported King's advanced age and poor health are a cause for concern and place him at elevated risk. King has had numerous health issues, including a heart attack, prostate and lung cancer, and type two diabetes. 
    Donald Trump on Thursday praised Rush Limbaugh as 'the greatest' after the radio host thanked his listeners for their support and opened up about his fight with terminal cancer during his final show of the year.  The president shared a tweet from producer Bo Snerdley who had posted a link to the Fox News story about the broadcast.  Trump tweeted: 'Rush is the GREATEST!'   Limbaugh, 69, has been one of President Trump's most ardent supporters.  The day after revealing he had cancer, Trump invited him as a guest for his State of the Union - where he awarded him the Presidential Medal of Freedom.  The conservative radio icon told listeners Thursday: 'I wasn't expected to be alive today. I wasn't expected to make it to October, and then to November, and then to December.  'And yet, here I am, and today, got some problems, but I'm feeling pretty good today.'  Scroll down for video ...
    By Alexis Benveniste | CNN Business Rush Limbaugh wrapped up his final show of 2020 with an emotional outpouring of gratitude for the support he’s received during his battle with Stage 4 lung cancer. “You have no idea what you all have meant to me and my family,” the 69-year-old radio host said at the end of “The Rush Limbaugh Show,” on December 23. “The day is going to come folks where I’m not going to be able to do this.” The conservative political commentator is a Trump ally. He was awarded the Medal of Freedom during the State of the Union address in February. Related Articles Rush Limbaugh says cancer ‘is kicking my a–‘ Rush Limbaugh denied smoking risks in 2015: ‘Smokers aren’t killing anybody’ Rush Limbaugh tells listeners he has stage 4 lung cancer Rush Limbaugh says sometimes a woman’s...
    Rush Limbaugh thanked his listeners for their support as he opened up about his fight with terminal cancer during his final radio show of the year.  'I wasn't expected to be alive today,' the conservative radio icon said. 'I wasn't expected to make it to October, and then to November, and then to December. And yet, here I am, and today, got some problems, but I'm feeling pretty good today.' 'My point in all of this today is gratitude,' Limbaugh said about the outpouring of support he's felt. 'My point in all of this is to say thanks and tell everybody involved how much I love you from the bottom of a sizable and growing and still-beating heart.' Limbaugh also thanked his wife Kathryn Adams for her support during his battle. The radio host has been married to Kathryn, his fourth wife, since 2010.  'So many people put me first,' Limbaugh added,...
    CONSERVATIVE host Rush Limbaugh said he is "blessed to be alive" during his lung cancer fight. Limbaugh gave an update on his battle during his Tuesday night radio show. 3Limbaugh said he is 'blessed' to be aliveCredit: Fox News "Every day remains a gift," the host told his listeners. "You know, I wake up every morning, and I thank God that I did." Despite his optimism, Limbaugh did admit that some days he might not be present due to his illness. "There will probably be, down the road, similar-type days where I will need take a day for rest or for whatever medical challenges present themselves," he said. "But the fact that I'm able to get back here and be with you is a genuine blessing, and I appreciate it and I appreciate your understanding throughout all of this. "As we say, everything's day-to-day, and especially in the circumstances I...
    November is Lung Cancer Awareness Month, and an appropriate time to recommit ourselves to reducing lung cancer in our community. Lung cancer is a dangerous disease. When we look at all of the people who die from any kind of cancer in Scioto County, approximately one third are due to lung cancer. This is, in part, because most lung cancer is detected in advanced stages. That is why we are doing everything in our power to detect lung cancer early, and I am excited I am excited to report we have a powerful new tool at our disposal. We call it the Incidental Nodule Program. Now, when our radiologists see a CT Scan, they have the ability to flag abnormalities for our Lung Navigator to review. The patient is informed of the abnormality and follow up appointments with the Pulmonology group are scheduled to explore the unexpected findings. This program...
    By Ernie Mundell HealthDay Reporter (HealthDay) FRIDAY, Nov. 27, 2020 (HealthDay News) -- Women have higher survival rates after lung cancer surgery than men, according to a new study. Previous research on sex differences in survival after lung cancer treatment has yielded conflicting results, so researchers at the Karolinska Institute in Sweden decided to study the association between gender and survival after lung cancer surgery. "The health care sector is always striving to offer all patients equal treatment tailored to their individual needs," said study co-author Erik Sachs. He's a resident in cardiothoracic surgery at Karolinska University Hospital. "This kind of study can help shed light on systematic differences that ultimately affect patient outcomes," Sachs added in an institute news release. For the study, the researchers analyzed data on more than 6,500 people in Sweden who had lung cancer surgery between 2008 and 2017. Just over half of the patients...
    COVID-19 is masking the symptoms of the deadliest cancer in UK, experts say. Lung cancer, which kills more than 35,300 Brits a year, has very similar characteristics to the coronavirus. 2The most common symptoms of lung cancer are strikingly similar to Covid-19, including a persistent coughCredit: Alamy The most common symptoms of lung cancer are a persistent cough, chest infections, breathlessness, chest pain, fatigue and a lack of appetite. Its strikingly similar to Covid-19, which may cause people to think they have the virus and delay getting a cancer diagnosis. When the UK first went into lockdown in March, the Government’s message was to stay at home if you have a cough or high temperature. GP surgeries and hospitals urged people to stay away if they had these symptoms in fear of the virus spreading.   But testing was not widely available for months into the pandemic, meaning people could not...
    Sign up here to get our daily updates on coronavirus in Minnesota delivered straight to your inbox each afternoon. And go here to see all of MinnPost’s COVID-19 coverage. Photo by engin akyurt on UnsplashThe pendulum has swung. The virus that seemed so singularly urban is now ravaging the rural areas of our country. To be honest, we knew from the start this was an equal opportunity virus, a sliver of RNA that was incapable of recognizing whether its host shopped at Target or Fleet Farm, wore chinos or Carharts. Even so, it made sense on some level that the virus would hit population-dense urban areas the hardest and spare rural communities. After all, the virus is airborne, but it cannot fly. Like a nuclear chain reaction, if you spread humans out far enough the virus simply can’t find enough of them to keep the chain of infection going. Much...
    MIAMI (CBSMiami) – November is National Lung Cancer Awareness Month. Doctors say smokers and non-smokers alike can suddenly find that they have been stricken, even if they are not exhibiting symptoms. “Early detection is the key. If you catch it while it is small, it is minimally evasive surgery, two small holes, I was back in the gym in a month,” said lung cancer survivor Gerald Riley. Riley said his cancer was discovered after another serious health threat. “Born in Virginia, which is a tobacco state, I began smoking when I was 12-years-old. I smoked for 60 years which led to a heart attack. Once the cold fingers of death touch you, you decide to stop smoking. Two years later I developed cancer,” he said. “People can be perfectly fine for decades. It’s not unusual for someone to come in, have something else going on then...
    A new report finds that Illinois has one of the best lung cancer survival rates in the nation. Data from the annual “State of Lung Cancer” report from the American Lung Association shows the state ranks tenth when it comes to the five-year survival rate of lung cancer patients, with around 25 percent living past that mark. “One factor in that is that we are able to diagnose lung cancer earlier, around stage one, and that helps with the prognosis a lot of times,” said Kristina Hamilton, advocacy director with the American Lung Association of Illinois and Iowa. Digging deeper into the numbers brought both good news and bad news for the state. “Illinois specifically ranked 35th in lung cancer rates in the country,” Hamilton said, “but there's a notable outlier in that black lung cancer patients are least likely to receive surgical treatment.” This...
    Facebook Mustafa Nadarević Mustafa Nadarević, the legendary Bosnian actor, has died at the age of 77, according to Croatia Week, which announced the news of November 22. What is the cause of death? Nadarevic had been fighting lung cancer, and was recently sent home for care in Zagreb after time in the hospital, Croatia Week reported. He was an acting icon in the former Yugoslavia who appeared in more than 70 films. According to the site Vecer, he told the public he had lung cancer earlier this year. He had told a friend recently that he was feeling better, but that he was staying isolated at home due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the site reports. Here’s what you need to know:Nadarevic Was Named One of Croatia’s Best Male Movie Stars Ever Ode nam legenda..???? R.I.P. g. Mustafa Nadarevic..velikan glume.. pic.twitter.com/IMAbrzjXT2 — Tatjana Ohm (@OhmTatjana) November 22, 2020...
    PORTLAND, Maine (CBS/AP) — Maine has the highest rate of smokers in New England and one of the highest rates of new lung cancer diagnoses in the country, according to a new report from the American Lung Association. The report states that Maine has the seventh-highest rate of the new diagnoses at 72.4 per 100,000 people. The highest rate in the country was in Kentucky, where it was 91.4. Almost 18% of Maine people smoke, and that is 2.5 percentage points higher than the national average. The highest rate was in West Virginia, where more than a quarter of people smoke. What is the #StateOfLungCancer in your state? See more in our newly released report: https://t.co/bmDWYaI94Y #LCAM pic.twitter.com/b36Ml87RRm — American Lung Association (@LungAssociation) November 17, 2020 In Massachusetts, the smoking rate is 13.4%. The report estimates that 5,150 Massachusetts residents will be diagnosed with lung cancer in 2020, but...
    SAN FRANCISCO (KPIX) – As California and the Bay Area prepares for a worrisome new outbreak in coronavirus infections and hospitalizations, a second public health crisis has emerged: a massive drop in cancer screenings. More advanced cancers are a result, with fewer options to treat the disease. That’s what happened to Richard Wehmeyer and his family. In 2019, doctors found a tiny nodule on his lung and urged him to do a follow-up with additional scans in a few months. “Christmas came, and after Christmas you know the pandemic hit and the whole scare of that,” explained Richard’s son Nic. Nic is immunocompromised due to a kidney transplant. When the pandemic hit, the whole family decided to shelter in place together to protect everyone’s health. They took reasonable and well-known precautions to minimize any risk of a COVID-19 infection. “Having another screening, talking with doctors, all that kind of took...
    Lung cancer is the leading cause of cancer deaths in women and men, and while survival rates have increased 13% to 22.6% over the past five years, a new report shows positive developments don’t include everyone. The American Lung Association’s 2020 “State of Lung Cancer” report explores for the first time how lung cancer affects racial and ethnic groups. “Patients of color are not getting diagnosed early; they’re not getting the therapy they need, just like the rest of the country,” said American Lung Association volunteer medical expert Dr. Bobby Mahajan. Mahajan is the medical director of the Interventional Pulmonology and Complex Airways Disease Program at the Inova Fairfax Medical Center. He said nearly 25% of patients of color diagnosed with lung cancer don’t receive treatment because they either lack the money or insurance coverage, or because their conditions are so advanced by the time they get diagnosed that the benefits...
    SAN FRANCISCO (KPIX) – As California and the Bay Area prepares for a worrisome new outbreak in coronavirus infections and hospitalizations, a second public health crisis has emerged: a massive drop in cancer screenings. More advanced cancers are a result, with fewer options to treat the disease. That’s what happened to Richard Wehmeyer and his family. In 2019, doctors found a tiny nodule on his lung and urged him to do a follow-up with additional scans in a few months. “Christmas came, and after Christmas you know the pandemic hit and the whole scare of that,” explained Richard’s son Nic. Nic is immunocompromised due to a kidney transplant. When the pandemic hit, the whole family decided to shelter in place together to protect everyone’s health. They took reasonable and well-known precautions to minimize any risk of a COVID-19 infection. “Having another screening, talking with doctors, all that kind of took...
    Country singer Doug Supernaw, best known for his '90s hits "Reno" and "I Don't Call Him Daddy," has died. He was 60. The musician's death was announced on Friday by his record label. "It is with great sadness that we annnounce the passing of Gold Record Country Artist, Doug Supernaw," B&G Records said in a statement. The country star was diagnosed with advanced stage 4 lung and bladder cancer in 2019. Supernaw began an "aggressive treatment schedule with the hopes of shrinking his numerous cancer cells," his label said. "Fighting the good fight for almost two years, Doug's cancer had spread to his brain and spine, and he was placed in Hospice care in October 2020," the statement continued. STAGEHAND FALLS TO DEATH INSIDE BROADWAY THEATER: REPORT Doug Supernaw, best known for '90s hit 'Reno' died on Friday. He was 60. Photographed here from left to right is Supernaw,...
    COUNTRY singer Doug Supernaw has died at the age of 60. Doug, a 90s superstar best known for hits Reno and I Don't Call Him Daddy, died peacefully at hs home in Texas on November 13. 2 He had been battling stage four lung and bladder cancer, and in October revealed he was living in a hospice and his cancer had spread to his spine and brain. "It is with great sadness we announce the passing of Doug Supernaw," a statement on his Facebook page read. "He is survived by his third wife, his children, and his grandchildren." Reno hit number four in the charts before he released the classic country track I Don’t Call Him Daddy, which tells the story of a young boy telling his father he doesn't call his mom's new love his father. 2 The song was nominated for Song of the Year at the American...
    Am I eligible for a lung cancer screening? A lung cancer screening is a quick and effective low-dose computerized tomography (CT) scan that can detect lung cancer and other serious abnormalities. Only 3-5% of persons eligible for a lung cancer screening have an annual low-dose CT scan. Our new regional lung cancer screening program at Phelps Hospital, Northwell Health, and Northern Westchester Hospital is dedicated to enhancing your quality of life through early detection, diagnosis, and treatment. Lung cancer screenings are available for high-risk patients.Phelps HospitalMost insurance companies will cover a lung cancer screening for high-risk patients. According to the American Cancer Society, lung cancer is the leading cause of cancer death, and more deaths are associated with lung cancer than colon, prostate, and breast cancer combined. However, the number of deaths from lung cancer continues to drop due to a reduction in cigarette smoking and advances in early detection...
    Diagnostic screenings for those considered at-risk for lung cancer can save lives, but very few people get them done. Lung cancer is the deadliest cancer in the U.S., killing more people each year than breast, colon and prostate cancers combined. “We know we don’t have enough patients screened at this point. We’re reaching, in most states, probably 4% of eligible patients; some states are up to 10% or 12%,” said Dr. Debra S. Dyer, of the American College of Radiology, or ACR. Promoting yearly screening with low-dose lung CT scans for people who need testing, Dyer believes one challenge involves the formula involved for evaluating who needs it. This is an image of a low dose CT lung screening. (Courtesy American College of Radiology) “Eligibility requirements are not as easy, as say for mammography or colon cancer screening. Those are based on gender or age,” she said. “For lung cancer...
    Lung cancer is the leading cause of cancer deaths among men and women but is also among the most preventable, according to the American Cancer Society. “Currently, most lung cancer patients are people who either smoked or were exposed to secondhand smoke from their families,” said Ahmad Raza, M.D., medical director at NewYork-Presbyterian Hudson Valley Hospital’s Cancer Center and assistant professor of medicine in the Division of Hematology and Oncology at Columbia University Vagelos College of Physicians and Surgeons. Lung cancer deaths are still high although baby boomers and older people have the highest smoking rates compared to younger generations. Current advancements in diagnostics and treatments are reducing death rates, but screening is key. “The goal of screening is to diagnose lung cancer at a more curable stage,” Dr. Raza said. “Recent studies show that survival rates are improving thanks to screening.” Do You Smoke or Have...
    DeSOTO, Texas (CBSDFW.COM) – DeSoto Mayor Curtistene Smith McCowan died Wednesday, Oct. 28 at the age of 72. Mayor McCowan announced she was fighting the disease during a city council meeting earlier this month. Mayor McCowan had served mayor since 2016 and had served on the city council since 2012. DeSoto Mayor Curtistene Smith McCowan (city of DeSoto) Dallas Mayor Eric Johnson tweeted Wednesday night, “This is unbelievably sad news. On behalf of my family and the @CityOfDallas, I offer our sincerest condolences to the family of Mayor McCowan and the entire city of @desototx. #RIP” This is unbelievably sad news. On behalf of my family and the @CityOfDallas, I offer our sincerest condolences to the family of Mayor McCowan and the entire city of @desototx. #RIP https://t.co/ApGKcUUund — Mayor Eric Johnson (@Johnson4Dallas) October 29, 2020 Dallas County Judge Clay Jenkins tweeted his condolences as well, saying, “Godspeed to...
    DeSOTO, Texas (CBSDFW.COM) – DeSoto Mayor Curtistene Smith McCowan died Thursday, Oct. 28. Mayor McCowan announced she was fighting the disease during a city council meeting earlier this month. Mayor McCowan had served mayor since 2016 and had served on the city council since 2012. DeSoto Mayor Curtistene Smith McCowan (city of DeSoto) The DeSoto High School band paid tribute to Mayor McCowan on their Facebook page Wednesday night: “The DeSoto Eagle Pride Band would like to send our deepest condolences to the McCowan family and to the City of DeSoto. We will forever appreciate the support and kind words from Mayor McCowan, as she truly loved the DeSoto Eagle Band. She was one of the first individuals to sing our praises when we achieved national recognition and she has always encouraged us to strive for greater and higher heights. It is in that spirit that we will press on...
    Conservative talk radio presenter Rush Limbaugh said on his show Monday that his lung cancer had worsened and was “going in the wrong direction” despite treatment. “It’s hard to realize that the days when I didn’t think I was on death row are over,” he said according to his show’s transcript. The 69-year-old Mr. Limbaugh told his audience that he had been diagnosed with lung cancer for the first time in February and had noticed shortness of breath. He said he will continue to work, except for taking a few days off to determine the treatment plan subject to testing. But on Monday, he said he wanted to update his listeners about his health and how the disease affects him, saying the ups and downs are like “a roller coaster at times when you can’t get out.” “Sometimes you can decide, you know, this drug might work, but I hate...
    Rush Limbaugh, the conservative talk show radio host, is battling stage 4 lung cancer and said Monday he's had a setback in his prognosis."The scans did show some progression of cancer," he told listeners of his radio show. He later added: "It's not dramatic, but it is the wrong direction."The 69-year-old was diagnosed with lung cancer in February.Limbaugh said his doctors changed his medications in "hopes of keeping additional progression at bay for as long as possible." Prior to this week's update, he said that cancer "had been reduced, and it had become manageable.""It's tough to realize that the days where I do not think I'm under a death sentence are over," Limbaugh said. "Now, we all are, is the point. We all know that we're going to die at some point, but when you have a terminal disease diagnosis that has a time frame to it, then that puts...
    American radio legend Rush Limbaugh gave a somber update on his lung cancer diagnosis saying he can no longer deny he’s under a 'death sentence' and his cancer has shown signs of progression. On Monday the 69-year-old conservative political commentator said recent scans showed 'some progression' of cancer, and though it was not dramatic, it was a turn in the 'wrong direction' in his recovery.   Limbaugh had announced in February he was diagnosed with advanced lung cancer and he missed several shows in October for treatment. 'From the moment you get the diagnosis, there’s a part of you every day, okay, that’s it. Life’s over. You just don’t know when,' Limbaugh said on his radio show, calling his battle a 'roller coaster'. 'And at some point you can decide, you know, this medication may be working, but I hate the way I feel every day. I’m not there yet…It’s tough...
    Conservative radio show host Rush Limbaugh on Monday said his stage 4 lung cancer has progressed. “The scans did show some progression of cancer,” Limbaugh said in an emotional update. “Prior to that, the scans had shown that we had rendered the cancer dormant. That’s my phrase for it. We had stopped the growth. It had been reduced, and it had become manageable. “But it’s always the reality, and the knowledge, that that can change and it can come back, because it is cancer. It outsmarts pretty much everything you throw at it. And this, of course, this is stage 4 lung cancer.” Limbaugh, whose show is the most listened to radio talk show in America with 15 million weekly listeners, revealed in late July that he had advanced lung cancer. The 69-year-old said he first realized something was wrong on Jan. 12. He told listeners his doctors have tweaked...
    Conservative radio host Rush Limbaugh told his audience Monday that new scans show his lung cancer has gotten worse. “It’s tough to realize that the days where I do not think I’m under a death sentence are over,” Limbaugh told his audience as he fought back tears. “We all know we’re going to die at some point. When you have a terminal disease diagnosis that has a time frame to it, then that puts a different psychological and even physical awareness to it.” And his terrific baseball analogy on his cancer fight is really just fantastic. Well said, and good for you @rushlimbaugh here’s to stealing third❗️???? ???? pic.twitter.com/HN8GHmJSoP— Heather Champion ™️ (@winningatmylife) October 19, 2020 “The scans did show some progression of cancer,” Limbaugh added. “Prior to that, the scans had shown that we had rendered the cancer dormant. That’s my phrase for it. We had stopped the...
    Conservative radio host Rush Limbaugh said Monday that scans taken last week showed his case of stage 4 lung cancer getting worse. “It’s tough to realize that the days where I do not think I’m under a death sentence are over,” the radio titan told listeners on his afternoon show. “We all know we’re going to die at some point. When you have a terminal disease diagnosis that has a time frame to it, then that puts a different psychological and even physical awareness to it.” Limbaugh, who runs the top talk radio show in the United States with more than 15 million weekly listeners, first revealed he had lung cancer in February, just a day before President Donald Trump bestowed him with a presidential Medal of Freedom. Limbaugh said Monday the scans showed the cancer had grown after an initial period of dormancy. “The scans did show some progression...
    Bollywood actor Sanjay Dutt who has been diagnosed with stage four lung cancer has responded ‘very well’ to the treatment, confirms a close source to the family. It was around in August 2020 when the Khalnayak of B-town announced that he would be taking a little break from his work to concentrate on his medical treatment. After the same, speculations started doing rounds that the superstar is battling cancer. Well, now it is good to hear that the actor is on the road to recovery. Sanjay Dutt Reportedly Gets Diagnosed With Stage 3 Lung Cancer, Fans Pray for his Speedy Recovery.  “The news was like he has got six months or this month to live, (but) it has never been that scene. He was detected with a kind of lung cancer for which treatment started in Mumbai and he has responded very well to the treatment,” a family member told PTI....
    Brush, floss, gargle — advice coming now from cancer researchers, not just your mom and dentist. Scientists are stressing good oral hygiene after they discovered a common mouth germ can push cancer to other parts of the body. And they see their finding as significant because the spread of the cancerous cells – or metastasis – is what causes 90% of cancer deaths. This year, three studies focused on the relationship between the germ, Fusobacterium nucleatum, and colon cancer. Biochemist Daniel Slade of Virginia Tech worked on one of those studies, which found colon cancer cells invaded by the germ became inflamed by two proteins called cytokines – and the inflammation in turn caused the cells to travel. The discovery is especially sobering because colorectal cancer ranks only second to lung cancer as the deadliest type worldwide, numbers show. Other studies have tied the germ to other cancers, including...
    Brush, floss, gargle — advice coming now from cancer researchers, not just your mom and dentist. Scientists are stressing good oral hygiene after they discovered a common mouth germ can push cancer to other parts of the body. And they see their finding as significant because the spread of the cancerous cells – or metastasis – is what causes 90% of cancer deaths. This year, three studies focused on the relationship between the germ, Fusobacterium nucleatum, and colon cancer. Biochemist Daniel Slade of Virginia Tech worked on one of those studies, which found colon cancer cells invaded by the germ became inflamed by two proteins called cytokines – and the inflammation in turn caused the cells to travel. The discovery is especially sobering because colorectal cancer ranks only second to lung cancer as the deadliest type worldwide, numbers show. Other studies have tied the germ to other cancers, including esophagus,...
    MIKE Pence wrote a post on his campaign site in 2001 refuting claims that smoking “doesn’t kill”, according to BuzzFeed News who found the post. However, Pence did urge people to stop smoking and claimed that “smoking is not good for you” but allegedly failed to provide sources for his post.  ⚠️ Follow our US election 2020 live blog for the latest news & updates 6Vice President Mike Pence said that 'smoking doesn't kill' in a post for his campaign website in 2001Credit: AP:Associated Press Did Mike Pence say smoking doesn’t kill? Vice President Mike Pence wrote a post in his campaign site in 2001 when he was running for Congress which stated that smoking “doesn’t kill”, according to BuzzFeed News who discovered the post. "Time for a quick reality check. Despite the hysteria from the political class and the media, smoking doesn't kill," he wrote in the article...
    MONTREAL (AP) — Hockey Hall of Famer Guy Lafleur is facing a recurrence of lung cancer, the hospital treating him announced Wednesday. Lafleur was informed of the diagnosis during an appointment with his medical team earlier this week at the Centre hospitalier de l’Universite de Montreal. “It’s a big blow, but I’m continuing my battle with confidence and serenity,” Lafleur, 69, said in a statement. Dr. Mustapha Tehfe, oncologist-hematologist at the hospital, said Lafleur will begin immunotherapy and chemotherapy. “Today, we are all behind him to face adversity with a lot of courage and determination,” Tehfe said. Lafleur underwent an operation on Nov. 28, 2019, to remove the upper lobe of a lung and lymph nodes. He has been closely monitored since by his medical team. The former Montreal Canadiens star said he will continue in his role as ambassador for the hospital’s foundation during his treatment. He thanked those...
    MSNBC host Rachel Maddow delivered a somber monologue Friday, urging critics of President Trump to wish him a speedy recovery as he battles the coronavirus. While many in the mainstream media have used Trump's illness to pile on his handling of the pandemic, Maddow is one of the most prominent liberal voices to express concern for the health of the president and first lady Melania Trump. “God bless the president and the first lady,” Maddow tweeted early Friday after Trump announced he and his wife had tested positive. “If you pray, please pray for their speedy and complete recovery — and for everyone infected, everywhere.” She added: “This virus is horrific and merciless — no one would wish its wrath on anyone.” MEDIA OUTLETS SUGGESTS WHITE HOUSE 'CAN'T BE TRUSTED' TO BE TRUTHFUL ABOUT TRUMP'S HEALTH On her MSNBC program Friday evening, Maddow struck a similar tone, expressing confidence that the president would recover...
    A MUM-OF-SEVEN who gave birth just nine weeks ago has been given months to live. Samantha King was struggling with what she thought was chest infection and was prescribed antibiotics by her GP. 5Samantha King gave birth the daughter Lilah just nine weeks ago Credit: Facebook kyra Louise Limbrick 5The family are raising money so they won't be forced out of their home. Pictured left to right, partner Craig , Lexi, two, Lilah, nine weeks, Libby 10, Logan, five and Lacey, 9Credit: Facebook kyra Louise Limbrick When they didn’t work she was given scans which determined she had cancer, just two weeks after giving birth to her little girl Lilah. The former nurse from Tredworth, Gloucester is now having radiotherapy and immunotherapy. Cancer has been found in her lungs, breast and bones. It has invaded her chest cavity and she now has a tumour on her spine - doctors also...
    (CBS DETROIT) – The US Navy Veterans Lung Cancer Advocate says, “If you are the wife or adult son-daughter of a Navy Veteran with lung cancer or a friend-please ask him if he had significant exposure to asbestos in the navy. If the answer is yes-please call-the lawyers at the law firm of Karst von Oiste at 800-714-0303. The lawyers at the law firm of Karst von Oiste specialize in assisting Navy Veterans and people who had significant exposure to asbestos decades ago-and who now have lung cancer. Financial compensation for a person like this might exceed a hundred thousand dollars-even if the person smoked cigarettes. “Most Navy Veterans who had significant exposure to asbestos decades ago and who now have lung cancer are not aware the $30 billion dollar-asbestos trust funds were set up for them too. The typical person we are trying to identify has lung cancer, he is...
    LUNG cancer is the “forgotten disease” of the Covid pandemic with 14,000 fewer patients referred for urgent checks, a report claims. Cancer Research UK said lung cancer has been hit harder than other tumours - with referrals still 39 per cent below pre-lockdown levels. ⚠️ Read our coronavirus live blog for the latest news & updates 314,000 fewer patients have been referred for urgent lung cancer checks, a report claimsCredit: Getty - Contributor Delays in diagnosis and treatment can prove deadly if the cancer grows and spreads to the point where it becomes untreatable. The charity said the figures are a “dire warning” of the hundreds of lives that could be lost, with a “devastating” impact on families. It is now urging people to come forward for tests. It believes Government advice telling Brits to stay at home if they had a new, continuous cough put many off seeking help....
    Vaping increases the risk of developing breast cancer, a new study suggests. In another hammer blow to the vaping industry, scientists from a group of American universities, including Yale, Johns Hopkins and Princeton, found exposure to e-cigarette vapour creates a 'tumour-promoting environment' in the breast and elsewhere in the body. Professor Kefah Mokbel, a surgeon at the London Breast Institute at the Princess Grace Hospital, said the findings should be a wake-up call to those who think the devices are harmless. 'This study provides a good level of evidence that vaping has the potential to induce breast cancer and promote its progression and spread to the lungs,' he said. Vaping increases the risk of developing breast cancer, a new study suggests. In another hammer blow to the vaping industry, scientists from a group of American universities, including Yale, Johns Hopkins and Princeton, found exposure to e-cigarette vapour creates a...
    An Ontario woman who is battling cancer was reportedly kicked out of a bingo hall when she didn’t cover the hole in her neck through which she breathes. Elaine Arbeau, 67, doesn’t do a lot anymore, her son said in a lengthy Facebook post, but she still goes out to play bingo and the gambling games in the local hall. Arbeau was happy to see her friends again when Delta Bingo in Pickering reopened after a shutdown prompted by the COVID-19 pandemic. But things went south from the moment she got there. “She was told to leave by management if she didn’t cover up the hole on her neck,” her son, Joe Gilbert, told CTV News Toronto on Sunday. “She explained that was impossible to do. That’s how she breathes.” Gilbert said his mother was embarrassed and didn’t want to create a scene so she voluntarily left. He says when...
    WHILE taking care of her sick mother, a daughter says her father's "ghostly" figure appeared ten years after he passed away. According to Kennedy News and Media, Norma Villa had been taking care of her mother Teresa for two months while she struggled with terminal lung cancer. 4Photos revealed a "ghost like" figure sitting next to a porch swingCredit: Kennedy News and Media 4Villa's father passed away a decade agoCredit: Kennedy News and Media A legal secretary and mother of three, Villa found sought comfort "talking" to her father Leandro who died 10 years earlier. One night in November 2019, Villa got a notification on her CCTV system that there was a presence on her porch. Photos from the system revealed a "ghost like" figure sitting next to a porch swing, Villa's mother would sit or lay on. The incident prompter Villa's mother to say "they're...
    DENVER (CBS4)– With more people working from home and spending more time at home due to the coronavirus pandemic, state health experts are urging Coloradans to test their homes for radon. (credit: CBS) The Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment (CDPHE) is recommending that residents test their homes for the potentially dangerous gas. You can’t see or smell radon. It’s the second-leading cause of lung cancer behind tobacco in the United States. Some 500 lung cancer deaths in Colorado each year are blamed on radon. (credit: CBS) The CDPHE says half of all homes have radon levels higher than recommended by the EPA. Radon comes naturally from the Earth. You can test at home yourself with a radon testing kit from the CDPHE. LINKS: Radon Testing Kit | CDPHE Radon Information
    Larry King has broken his silence after losing two of his adult children who died within three weeks apart.  'It is with sadness and a father's broken heart that I confirm the recent loss of two of my children, Andy King, and Chaia King. Both of them were good and kind souls and they will be greatly missed,' the legendary chat show host said in a heartbreaking Facebook post on Saturday.  'Losing them feels so out of order. No parent should have to bury a child. My family and I thank you for your outpouring of kind sentiments and well wishes. In this moment, we need a little time and privacy to heal. I thank you for respecting that,' he added.  Larry suffered the terrible double tragedy just months after barely surviving a stroke and weeks-long coma himself last year. His son Andy, 65, died suddenly on July 28 from...
    Larry King poses for portrait as the Friars Club and Crescent Hotel honor him for his 86th birthday at Crescent Hotel on November 25, 2019 in Beverly Hills, California. Rodin Eckenroth/Getty Images Famed TV interviewer Larry King is mourning the loss of two children, who died in the space of three weeks, according to Page Six. Daughter Chaia, 52, died on Thursday after battling lung cancer, following the sudden death of his son, Andy, 65. Larry and his remaining three children were said to be "distraught." King has returned to work in an attempt to process the grief, it was reported. Visit Insider's homepage for more stories. Larry King is mourning the death of two of his children in the space of three weeks. The renowned TV interviewer faces a double tragedy after the sudden death of Andy, 65, who died three weeks ago. King's daughter Chaia,...
    Larry King has suffered the deaths of two children in a matter of weeks, with his daughter dying of lung cancer just weeks after the sudden passing of his son. As The Daily Mail reported, 52-year-old Chaia passed away this week after a battle with cancer. This came just three weeks after Larry’s son Andy also died at the age of 65. The television icon’s health has compounded the tragedies, the report noted, as the 86-year-old is recovering from a stroke and was not healthy enough to travel to Florida to attend memorial services for either of his children. King had been in a coma for weeks last year, an ordeal that reportedly had him close to death. The tragic news was shared by King’s 31-year-old granddaughter Jillian, who told the British news outlet that the King’s adult children had rallied to his side during his own health struggles last...
    LARRY King’s daughter, Chaia, is reportedly dead at 52 after losing a battle with lung cancer just weeks after his son, Andy, “died suddenly.” The 86-year-old television icon is recovering from a stroke that leaves him unable to fly from Los Angeles to Florida for the funerals, according to Daily Mail. 1Larry's daughter Chaia lost her battle with lung cancer on Wednesday Larry’s granddaughter told the outlet that the star’s 65-year-old son died suddenly on July 28 from a suspected heart attack.  Just three weeks later, Larry’s 52-year-old daughter passed away from lung cancer.  Most read in CelebrityExclusiveTough ChatEllen was 'teary-eyed' at staff meeting about 'toxic' workplace allegationsPicturedLEGS GO!Halle Berry, 54, shows off legs in a white mini dress for photoshootBreakingROCKER DEADQuiet Riot drummer Frankie Banali dies at 68 after pancreatic cancer battleSLAM DUNKKendall Jenner and Devin Booker 'confirm romance' with PDA on Malibu beachDRAG ICON DEADRuPaul's Drag Race star...
    Two of Larry King’s five children have died in the past month, his granddaughter told DailyMail.com. The legendary chat show host suffered the terrible double tragedy just months after barely surviving a stroke and weeks-long coma himself last year. King’s son Andy, 65, died suddenly on July 28 from what his family believe to be a heart attack. He was followed by his sister, King’s daughter Chaia, 52, who died on Wednesday following a battle with lung cancer.  King's granddaughter Jillian, 31, said the 86-year-old TV show host was still recovering from his stroke and unable to travel from Los Angeles due to coronavirus, and so he had to watch his Florida-based son be buried on video. ‘Everyone’s feeling pretty bad and broken. Larry is really hurt and upset,’ Jillian told DailyMail.com in an exclusive interview. ‘He was very sick last year. His kids were all taking very close care...
    AROUND 47,000 people are diagnosed with lung cancer every year making it the second most common cancer in the UK. But now a simple test with your fingers may be able to show whether you are at risk of lung cancer. 4The 'diamond test' is a simple way of diagnosing whether you are at risk of lung cancerCredit: Lucy Jones Doctors are urging people to take the "diamond gap" finger test, which involves putting your nails together to see if there's a diamond-shaped space between your cuticles. If there isn't space, this is a sign of finger clubbing  - which is a common symptom of lung cancer. Nail or finger clubbing is characterised by specific changes around and under the toe and fingernails that are caused by certain diseases. According to Cancer Research UK, finger clubbing happens in more than 35 per cent of people with lung cancer. Among various types of...
    FOR Beth Purvis the painful truth is she will never know if an op cancelled in the pandemic would have stopped her cancer spreading. The 41-year-old was diagnosed with bowel cancer in October 2016. 2Beth, 41, was due to have surgery to remove a lung nodule on March 25Credit: Beth Purvis In March, after her cancer returned, she was due to have surgery to remove a lung nodule. The operation was scheduled for March 25, two days after coronavirus plunged the UK into lockdown. It never went ahead and in May scans showed Beth’s cancer has now spread to her brain. Beth, from Elsenham, Essex, told The Sun: “I’m now incurable. "My husband Richard, 48, and I have always been honest with our children, Joseph, 12, and Abigail, ten. “They know I didn’t have the surgery I should have, and they know mummy won’t get better. 2Beth Purvis,41, was due...
    Actress Linda Manz, best known for her roles in the movies “Days of Heaven” and “Out of the Blue” died on Friday at age 58 after a lengthy battle with lung cancer. News of her death was confirmed by her son, Michael Guthrie, after he started a GoFundMe campaign to help raise money for her funeral and other arrangements. “Linda passed away August 14 after battling with lung cancer and pneumonia. she leaves behind a husband two son's (sic) and three grand children who all love and miss her tremendously, Linda was a loving wife, a caring mom, a wonderful grandma and a great friend who was loved by many,” the page reads. OVER 700 ELVIS PRESLEY FANS EXPECTED TO ATTEND PARED-DOWN VIGIL MARKING ANNIVERSARY OF SINGER'S DEATH Actress Linda Manz died after a lengthy battle with lung cancer. (Caterine Milinaire/Sygma via Getty Images) The actress, who had taken a...
    Peter Fonda died in August 2019 and now his widow, Margaret Fonda, is reportedly suing over his death. Margaret is suing Providence Saint Joseph's Health Center in Santa Monica, Calif., and doctors who work there, alleging they negligently failed to properly consult, diagnose and treat the "Easy Rider" star, according to TMZ. A spokesperson for the hospital told Fox News on Friday they don't comment on legal situations. In new legal docs obtained by the celebrity news site, Margaret reportedly alleges Peter died because the hospital and doctors failed to perform certain duties. She alleges that the doctors and the hospital didn't order the proper tests, didn't advise him on the need for more frequent follow-up tests, and didn't recommend he go to other specialists to seek treatment, according to the news site, which cited legal papers. 'EASY RIDER' STAR PETER FONDA DEAD AT 79 Peter died from respiratory failure due to lung cancer. He was 79 years old. In a statement...
    Peter Fonda’s widow is suing a California health center over the late actor’s 2019 death. According to TMZ, Margaret Fonda is suing Providence Saint Joseph’s Health Center in Santa Monica and a number of its doctors for alleged negligent behavior that led to his death. Margaret claimed that the staff failed to properly consult, diagnose and treat the “Easy Rider” star, who died of respiratory failure after battling cancer at age 79 in August 2019. She alleged in her suit, which was obtained by the outlet, that the staff did not order the proper tests and did not properly advise him of more frequent follow-up tests. Shortly after his passing, his sister, Jane Fonda told Page Six in a statement, “I am very sad. He was my sweet-hearted baby brother. The talker of the family. I have had beautiful alone time with him these last days. He went out...
    Patients with the most common type of lung cancer, non-small cell lung cancer, are surviving longer, according to a new study. In recent years, death rates have decreased significantly, while two-year survival rates are rising in the U.S. The improvements are mainly due to new targeted treatments, a study by the National Cancer Institute found. DIETS HIGHER IN PROTEIN, PARTICULARLY PLANT PROTEIN, LINKED TO LOWER RATES OF EARLY DEATH: STUDY “We found that mortality rates from the most common lung cancer, non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC), have fallen sharply in the United States between 2013 and 2016. When we look at this data and the time period which we studied, it correlates with several targeted therapies that were approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration," Nadia Howlader, Ph.D., of National Cancer Institute’s Division of Cancer Control and Population Sciences, told Fox News. According to the study published Wednesday in the New England...
    SAN ANTONIO – Editor’s note: This story was published through a partnership between the San Antonio Business Journal and KSAT. A local pathology practice has initiated a validation study of San Antonio-based bioAffinity Technologies' CyPath Lung early detection cancer test. The validation study is needed for bioAffinity to commercialize the product, which is its first. It’s a significant step for the privately held biotech company, whose CEO, Maria Zannes, has worked for more than six years to reach this stage, moving to the Alamo City from New Mexico to launch bioAffinity in March 2014. Precision Pathology Services, also based in San Antonio, is conducting the validation study. Precision Pathology previously licensed bioAffinity’s intellectual property as part of a larger plan to secure laboratory developed test, or LDT, status for CyPath Lung. Having completed that development phase, it now needs to complete validation testing before November to sell the technology. “This...
    Death rates from lung cancer have been declining sharply in the US due to recent advances in treatments, a new study suggests. Researchers found that fatality rates for non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC), the most common lung cancer, have fallen by about 4.5 percent percent from 2001 through 2016.  Additionally, the rate of cases of NSCLC have fallen by about 2.3 percent over the course of 10 years, from 2006 to 2016.  The team from the National Cancer Institute (NCI), part of the National Institutes of Health, says the decrease in deaths, for both men and women, began accelerating around 2013, when doctors began recommending drugs that target genetic changes in tumors. A new study found, in men, deaths fell by 3.2% every year from 2006 to 2013 and 6.3% per year from 2013 to 2016 while, in women, deaths fell by 2.3% annually from 2006 through 2014 and...
    Yuvraj Singh sent out his wishes to Sanjay Dutt after reports emerged that the actor is diagnosed with lung cancer. Yuvraj, who is a cancer survivor, wished Dutt a speedy recovery and penned a strong note for the 61-year-old, who is set to fly the United States for his treatment. Dutt announced on social media, on Tuesday, that he was taking a short break from work for a medical emergency and that he will be back soon. Reports almost immediately emerged that the popular actor has a stage 3 lung cancer. Sanjay Dutt Reportedly Gets Diagnosed With Stage 3 Lung Cancer, Fans Pray for his Speedy Recovery. Many from the industry and from his friends’ circle wished Duttt well and prayed for his swift recovery. Yuvraj too took to twitter to write a message for the actor as he prepares himself for an extensive treatment to beat the disease. “You...
    Sanjay Dutt took to his Twitter account to announce a break from his professional life. While the actor refrained from divulging any more details, he did request his fans to not speculate anything. And while he mentioned his medical treatment as the reason behind his break, the reason for the same was unknown until recently. If recent reports are to believe, the Vaastav actor has been diagnosed with stage three lung cancer and he may fly to the US for his treatment. Sanjay Dutt Diagnosed With Stage 3 Lung Cancer; The Sadak 2 Actor’s USA Visit is For Treatment and Rehab: Reports. The actor or his family members are yet to confirm this news but Twitter is already buzzing with ‘get well soon’ messages for the actor. Sanju Baba fans are praying for his speedy recovery while also asking him to stay strong and return healthy. Sanjay has a strong...
    Actor Sanjay Dutt recently suffered a health scare when he was admitted to Lilavati hospital after complaining of difficulty in breathing, over the weekend. He was discharged on August 10. However, on August 11, the actor announced that he would be taking a short break from work commitment for his medical treatment. And now, if reports are to be believed, then Sanju has been diagnosed with Stage 3 Lung Cancer and the actor has been asked to immediately seek medical attention. As per reports, Sanjay will be flying to the USA for treatment. Sanjay Dutt Announces Break from His Professional Life for Some Medical Treatment, Urges Everyone Not to Speculate Anything. Trade analyst Komal Nahta and Film and Television critic Salil Arunkumar Sand were among the first ones to tweet about the news that Dutt has been diagnosed with Lung cancer. In fact, Sanjay Dutt’s mother Nargis suffered from pancreatic...
    While secondhand smoke likely doesn’t directly cause the coronavirus, smokers can exhale infected droplets into the air, experts say. “Not only are they potentially spreading virus by not wearing a mask, they are blowing those droplets to the people around them to potentially get infected,” Dr. Albert Rizzo, chief medical officer for the American Lung Association, told the Associated Press. The virus is mainly thought to spread from person to person through respiratory droplets. GLOBAL CORONAVIRUS UPTICK SPARKED BY YOUTH GOING CLUBBING, VISITING BEACHES: REPORT  Secondhand smoke also reduces lung function, can inflame asthma and cause heart disease, lung cancer or a stroke – all of which would complicate contracting the coronavirus, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.  Cigarette smoke contains hundreds of toxic chemicals and at least 70 that can cause cancer. Even after secondhand smoke dissipates, thirdhand smoke, which clings to dust, clothing, walls and furniture,...
    A HEARTBROKEN mum of two young children has been told she has terminal cancer - and doctors don't know how long she has to live. Megan Scotcher, 27, has already been struck by cancer four times already and her vital organs can't withstand another round of chemotherapy. 3 Megan Scotcher has been battling cancer since she was 14Credit: BiPM MEDIA During a check-up in July, Megan, from Ripley, was told by doctors that she has seven tumours in her lungs. Operating would only serve to reduce her quality of life considerably, so health professionals have advised Megan that her diagnosis is terminal. She told the Derby Telegraph: "I'm waiting for my next clinical appointment to discuss that. "I'm absolutely devastated - more so for my children. With the youngest it's quite difficult because he wouldn't really understand. 3 The mum of two is devastated and wants to enjoy as much...
    A BEAUTICIAN saved a gran’s life after spotting cancer signs in her nails. Linda Bartram told Joan Martindale, 73, to seek medical advice after noticing her nails were “bent right over”. 4A beautician told gran Joan Martindale to seek medical advice after noticing her nails were 'bent right over'Credit: Kennedy News and Media 4Joan was treated for lung cancer and believes she wouldn’t be here if it wasn’t for her beauty appointmentCredit: Kennedy News and Media Doctors confirmed it was a sign of a tumour and Joan was treated for lung cancer. The retired craft shop assistant, of Tutbury, Staffs, said: "Going for a manicure saved my life. "It was incredible she could pick it up from just looking at my nails. “I've told her I shall be eternally grateful to her, when we've got rid of this Covid we're going for a big slap-up meal." Joan had noticed...
    ENGLAND and West Indies are fighting it out at Old Trafford with the three-games series locked at 1-1. After two hard-fought Test's, it's all coming down to the wire in Manchester where the West Indies won the toss earlier this morning and decided to bowl first. 2 Andrew Strauss wore red last year to show support for the Ruth Strauss foundationCredit: PA - Press Association You may have noticed that all of the players are wearing red caps as opposed to their usual blue - here's why... Why are the England players wearing red caps? The former England cricketer Andrew Strauss started the tribute to his late wife Strauss who tragically died of a rare lung cancer in 2018. Strauss set up a charity in her memory called the Ruth Strauss Foundation which fives support to fund lung cancer research and support to patients and their families. Donate to @RuthStraussFdn...
    “Selling Sunset” star Chrishell Stause confirmed Saturday that her mother had died after a battle with lung cancer. “In disbelief that you are gone,” Stause captioned a collection of family photos on Instagram. “Feeling just about every emotion, but I find comfort knowing Dad is up there taking care of you and showing you the ropes like only he could.” Stause, 38, who lost her father to cancer in April 2019, said “there is a peace knowing” her parents are “together again.” “Absolutely heartbreaking watching you take your last labored breath, but there is a peace knowing you two are together again, free from the pain that plagued your time here,” she continued. “A free spirit and rebel till the very end. My beautiful Mom, in your own words #F–Cancer.” Stause then thanked those at the Ray and Kay Eckstein Hospice Care Center in her native Kentucky, telling the staff...
    SELLING Sunset star Chrishell Stause said she is “absolutely heartbroken” after the death of her beloved mother. The 38-year-old real estate agent announced on Saturday her mom passed away following a battle with lung cancer. 11 The Selling Sunset star said she's "absolutely heartbroken" following her mom's passingCredit: Netflix 11 Chrishell revealed her mom passed away from lung cancerCredit: Instagram 11 The star's mom was diagnosed with the disease in FebruaryCredit: Instagram Chrishell - who also lost her father to lung cancer in 2019 - revealed the tragic news on Instagram. The Netflix star shared 10 photos and videos that were cherished memories with her mother. She captioned the throwbacks: “In disbelief that you are gone. “Feeling just about every emotion, but I find comfort knowing Dad is up there taking care of you and showing you the ropes like only he could. “Absolutely heartbreaking watching you take your last...
    NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — Lung cancer is by far the number one cause of cancer death in the U.S. for both men and women, claiming more than 140,000 lives last year. That’s one quarter of all cancer deaths nationwide. Now, the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force is proposing new guidelines for lung cancer screenings. CBS2’s Dr. Max Gomez has more on how these guidelines could significantly reduce those grim statistics. MORE: Max Minute: A Realistic Look At How Long It Will Take To Develop Coronavirus Vaccine The screening is a low-dose CT of the lungs that takes less than five minutes. The resulting scan can show a number of lesions or spots on the lungs, some of which may be cancer. Dr. Joshua Sabari of NYU Langone’s Perlmutter Cancer Center said a number of international studies have shown that the screening reduces lung cancer mortality by as much as 20%, by...
    A doctor who has been studying lung disease for 15 years has warned of a looming health crisis that could overshadow the impact of COVID-19 in the long term. Dr. Sassan Rafi, who has carried out extensive research into crippling pulmonary fibrosis, one of the conditions now linked to acute coronavirus patients, claims thousands of Americans hospitalized with the virus face a ticking time bomb even after they recover from the virus. The research scientist says that those diagnosed with pulmonary fibrosis after weeks on a ventilator face a shocking morbidity rate far worse than many cancers. This comes as coronavirus infections across the US have been surging after trending down for over six weeks. Dr. Sassan Rafi says that COVID-19 patients diagnosed with pulmonary fibrosis after weeks on a ventilator face a shocking morbidity rate Pulmonary fibrosis is a lung disease that occurs when lung tissue is...
    By LAURAN NEERGAARD, AP Medical Writer A U.S. health panel wants to widen the number of Americans offered yearly scans for lung cancer by opening the screening to less-heavy smokers. Lung cancer is the nation's top cancer killer, causing more than 135,000 deaths each year. Smoking is the chief cause and quitting the best protection. Usually, lung cancer is diagnosed too late for a good chance at survival. But research shows that annual low-dose CT scans, a type of X-ray, can reduce the risk of death when offered to certain people. In 2013, the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force said current or former smokers who’d gone through a pack of cigarettes a day for 30 years, or an equivalent amount, qualified for the screening starting at age 55. Now in draft recommendations released Tuesday, the task force said it’s time to expand screening to those who’ve smoked less -- 20...
    A U.S. health panel wants to widen the number of Americans offered yearly scans for lung cancer by opening the screening to less-heavy smokers. Lung cancer is the nation’s top cancer killer, causing more than 135,000 deaths each year. Smoking is the chief cause and quitting the best protection. Usually, lung cancer is diagnosed too late for a good chance at survival. But research shows that annual low-dose CT scans, a type of X-ray, can reduce the risk of death when offered to certain people. In 2013, the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force said current or former smokers who’d gone through a pack of cigarettes a day for 30 years, or an equivalent amount, qualified for the screening starting at age 55. Now in draft recommendations released Tuesday, the task force said it’s time to expand screening to those who’ve smoked less -- 20 pack-years -- and to...