Wednesday, Feb 24, 2021 - 18:16:40
1000 results - (0.001 seconds)

Political:

Google said on Monday that it would lift a ban on political and campaign ads that had been put into effect after the Jan. 6 Capitol riot, according to a report from The Hill. The “sensitive events” ban went into effect on Jan. 13 and is expected to be repealed on Wednesday, Axios reported. NEW: Google will resume accepting all political ads this week after banning them following last month’s insurrection at the Capitol, according to an email obtained by Axios. https://t.co/2PyPD56So2 — Axios (@axios) February 22, 2021 “We are currently enforcing a sensitive event for the US elections. Advertisers are not permitted to run ads which reference the candidates, the election, its outcome, the upcoming presidential inauguration, the ongoing presidential impeachment process, violence at the US Capitol, or future planned protests on these topics,” a statement from the tech company read on Jan. 14. (RELATED: Google’s New Fact-Check...
    BOSTON (CBS) – Sometimes a poll of a politician’s popularity tells us more about the people being polled than the pol. That’s the case with a new MassINC Polling Group survey of 1,308 Massachusetts residents taken over the past 12 days that suggests all the incoming fire Gov. Charlie Baker has taken over the well-publicized fiascos of the state’s vaccination rollout have ricocheted harmlessly to the ground, like a Jayson Tatum step-back jumper. READ MORE: Jeopardy! Welcomes New Guest Host Mike Richards After Ken Jennings Wraps Up Run “The persistent question,” notes pollster Steve Koczela, “is how Baker seems to forever float in the political stratosphere, unencumbered by the laws of political gravity that affect everyone else.” Actually, those laws seem to be broken more frequently these days. Candidate Donald Trump violated every known political commandment in 2016, surged to the top of the polls and never looked back. As...
    Mandel Ngan/AFP/Getty Images Former President Donald Trump is lashing out at the Supreme Court’s recent decision to allow his private tax returns to be leased to New York State prosecutors, claiming this is just another in a long line of unfair political persecutions. The SCOTUS decision came down Monday morning, and Trump’s statement was released Monday afternoon and included some of the “Greatest hits” of Trump complaints, including the “$32 million Mueller Hoax” and “Russia Russia Russia,” and ultimately mocked two “impeachment attempts where I was found NOT GUILTY. It just never ends! ” The Supreme Court issued a one-line ruling that Manhattan District Attorney Cyrus Vance can obtain Trump’s tax records for his grand jury investigation into the president’s companies, which NBC News’ Peter Williams explained: “It’s the end of the road for the president’s years-long battle to keep his tax returns away either from Congress or from Cyrus Vance,...
    Google will end its most recent ban on election-related ads on February 24th. In an email , the company told advertisers it will start accepting all political ads on Wednesday, including those that reference specific elected officials, candidates, political parties or ballot measures. Citing its sensitive events policy, Google temporarily blocked such ads after polls closed at the end of the presidential election in November. It lifted the ban on only to reinstate it a month later on following the US Capitol attack on January 6th. The company enacted the policy to slow the spread of misinformation. “We regularly pause ads over unpredictable, ‘sensitive’ events when ads can be used to exploit the event or amplify misleading information,” a spokesperson for the company told News Brig at the time. The company told it will “continue to rigorously enforce our ads policies, which strictly prohibit demonstrably false information that could significantly...
    Pedro Pascal and Gina Carano. Jesse Grant/Getty Carano said she and Pascal had an agreement that despite their views, they would be friends. "We had an agreement that, first and foremost, you're a human being. And you're my friend first." Carano also called Pascal "a sweet person." Visit Insider's homepage for more stories. Though Gina Carano isn't pleased with Disney's decision to fire her from "The Mandalorian," she has nothing but love for the show's star, Pedro Pascal.  "I adore Pedro. I adore him," she said on "The Ben Shapiro Show" in her first sit down interview since getting kicked off the popular "Star Wars" series. Carano's firing came after she shared an Instagram post in which she seemed to compare modern-day Republicans to Jews persecuted during the Holocaust. "I know he's said and done some hurtful things," the conservative actress told Shapiro in their hour long...
    ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) — At the outset of the coronavirus pandemic, two Democratic governors on opposite ends of the country were hailed as heroes for their leadership in a crisis. Now they’re leaders on the ropes. Andrew Cuomo of New York and Gavin Newsom of California are embroiled in distinct political woes. For Cuomo, it’s a federal investigation into whether his administration sought to hide the true toll of the pandemic. For Newsom, it’s fending off a recall effort fueled by opposition to his lockdowns — and his own personal missteps. But for both men the bottom line is clear: If you’re not careful, the same crisis that can raise your stock can just as easily bring you down. “We’ve had too many mission accomplished moments,” said Rebecca Katz, a New York City-based Democratic strategist who ran a primary challenge against Cuomo in 2018, in a reference to former President George W. Bush’s premature boast days after...
    More On: donald trump Stormy Daniels’ case against Trump tossed by SCOTUS Supreme Court won’t block Trump’s tax returns Voting company sues My Pillow CEO for $1.3B over election claims Doctor charged with hate crime for allegedly attacking Hispanic man ​Former President Donald Trump will proclaim that he is still in charge of the Republican Party and is its “presumptive 2024 nominee” when he makes his first public appearance at a conservative conference next weekend in Orlando, according to a report on Monday. Trump’s keynote address at the Conservative Political Action Committee conference next Sunday will be a “show of force,” and he will remind Republicans that he still has control of the bully pulpit even if he’s not in the White House, Axios reported. “I may not have Twitter or the Oval Office, but I’m still in charge,” will be Trump’s message to the group, the website reported,...
    Google will resume accepting all political ads starting Wednesday, following its temporary ban put in place after the Jan. 6 riot at the U.S. Capitol. The Jan. 6 riot involved hundreds of pro-Trump demonstrators storming the Capitol, resulting in the deaths of five people. For the temporary ban, the tech giant cited its "sensitive events" policy which aims to stop advertisers from profiting off events that have a significant social, cultural, or political impact, according to its ad policies. Such events could include civil emergencies, national disasters, terrorism incidents, or public health emergencies. FACEBOOK PURGES MYANMAR MILITARY PAGE AMID COUP In an email obtained by Axios, Google said the resumption of political ads means the sensitive events policy has been lifted. However, advertisers need to use the self-service appeals tool in the Google Ads portal to have their existing ads re-reviewed. "If they are otherwise policy compliant, then our reviewers...
    Madison Summers February 22, 2021 0 Comments Actor Jim Carrey is putting an end to his political artwork, where he has bashed former President Donald Trump as well as former First Lady Melania Trump and other Republicans. Carrey wrote in a statement posted to Twitter over the weekend, “For the past four years, among other commitments, I put considerable effort into this collection of political protest cartoons.” “It truly feels as though you and I have crossed an ocean of outrage together…but something tells me it’s time to rest my social media gavel and reclaim a little neurological bandwidth,” he continued. The actor noted he had been on a “quest to rid our democracy of ‘Orange Julius Caesar’ and his empire of lies.” “I just assumed that a radicalized America is a threat to us all,” Carrey wrote. “When a madman grabs the wheel of the bus loaded with...
    Sunday on FNC’s “Fox Report,” Rep. Byron Donalds (R-FL) sounded off on reopening schools across the United States as the country continues to battle the coronavirus pandemic. Donalds, noting that schools in Florida have been open since August, emphasized the importance of reopening schools so “kids can learn and actually propel their education.” He added that local governments and teachers’ unions that are hesitant to reopen at this point “are following political science” rather than actual “science.” “[T]his is one of those things that really it’s about local governments, local school districts, and the local teachers unions,” Donalds stated. “Washington, D.C. sending money to districts is not going to help schools reopen. Florida’s schools have been open since August of last year — since the beginning of the school year. What it took in Florida was leadership and a plan, which we developed using CDC guidelines in order to make...
    The Conversation Spain The curious disappearance of populism from Italian politics Mario Draghi, leaving this week the residence of the President of the Italian Republic. ShutterstockThe inauguration of Mario Draghi has brought about two Copernican changes in Italian politics. The Matteo Salvini League and the 5 Star Movement (M5S), with overwhelming enthusiasm, have opted to support the new executive. It is still curious to see how political forces, which throughout their history have exploited the anti-establishment message and Euroscepticism, now commune with the most pro-European elite possible. If, on the one hand, Salvini’s strategy responds to a logical maneuver, on the other, the 5-Star Movement takes another lurch in its brief political career. Just a couple of years ago both parties ruled side by side, with Giuseppe Conte at the helm of the executive. This curious governmental collaboration made national sovereignty its main flag. The clashes with Europe were numerous....
    (CNN)The January 6 riot on the US Capitol was a cataclysm -- incited by a President willing to lie for political gain and a political party willing to accommodate him out of fear of political retribution.Nothing, apparently, has changed.Witness Rep. Steve Scalise (Louisiana) during an appearance on ABC's "This Week" hosted by Jon Karl: Karl: But -- but, wait a minute, I mean, [Donald Trump] hasn't taken responsibility. You heard Kevin McCarthy say -- I mean, do you agree with what Kevin McCarthy said there, that the President must take responsibility, that the facts demand that he take responsibility for what happened on January 6?Scalise: Well, first of all -- now, I wrote a Wall Street Journal editorial about where I think the responsibility lays for January 6. And surely, there's a lot of blame to go around.Read MoreBut at the end of the day, the people who stormed the...
    The Conversation Spain The curious disappearance of populism from Italian politics Mario Draghi, leaving this week the residence of the President of the Italian Republic. ShutterstockThe inauguration of Mario Draghi has brought about two Copernican changes in Italian politics. The Matteo Salvini League and the 5 Star Movement (M5S), with overwhelming enthusiasm, have opted to support the new executive. It is still curious to see how political forces, which throughout their history have exploited the anti-establishment message and Euroscepticism, now commune with the most pro-European elite possible. If, on the one hand, Salvini’s strategy responds to a logical maneuver, on the other, the 5-Star Movement takes another lurch in its brief political career. Just a couple of years ago both parties ruled side by side, with Giuseppe Conte at the helm of the executive. This curious governmental collaboration made national sovereignty its main flag. The clashes with Europe were numerous....
    The logo of Alphabet Inc's Google outside the company's office in Beijing, China, August 8, 2018.Thomas Peter | Reuters Google will allow political ads again after a pause that began ahead of the President Joe Biden's inauguration in January and after the Jan. 6 riots at the U.S. capitol. "Starting on Wednesday, we will be lifting our Sensitive Events policy to again allow advertisers to run political ads," Google said in an emailed statement to CNBC. "We will continue to rigorously enforce our ads policies, which strictly prohibit demonstrably false information that could significantly undermine trust in elections or the democratic process." An email sent to advertisers by Google said starting Wednesday, advertisers will once again be able to run placements that are in scope of its election ads policy, which include those that mention a current state or federal officeholder or candidate, political party or ballot measure. It also...
    Gina Carano, who was fired from Disney+ show "The Mandalorian," has spoken out in a new tell-all interview about her experience working for Lucasfilm. She also addressed the controversial post which led to her dismissal from the "Star Wars" series and called out the political double standard she feels exists at the company, which is owned by Disney.  The final straw for Lucasfilm and Disney came when Carano drew criticism for a post on social media in which she compared today's political divide to the events in Nazi Germany and conservatives to the Jewish people. She had previously caught backlash for other comments about the coronavirus, the use of gender pronouns, and election fraud. The former MMA fighter said on "The Ben Shapiro Show" that her intention behind the most recent photo (which has been deleted) was to "bring people together" and to emphasize how "people tearing each other apart." GINA CARANO SAYS SHE WAS 'BULLIED'...
    All House Democrats signed onto a sweeping election reform bill Monday that they claim will expand voting rights and "clean up corruption" in politics -- as Republicans rip it as a "federal government takeover" and accuse Democrats of trying to change election rules to benefit themselves. Democracy Reform Task Force Chair Rep. John Sarbanes, D-Md., announced Monday that all House Democrats co-sponsored the legislation — H.R. 1, the For the People Act of 2021. TUCKER: DEMOCRATS' SWEEPING 'FOR THE PEOPLE ACT' WOULD 'ENSHRINE FRAUD,' AS LAWMAKERS SEEK TO STIFLE DISSENT "House Democrats are united in our steadfast commitment to advance transformational anti-corruption and clean election reforms by swiftly passing H.R. 1," Sarbanes said in a statement Monday. "Our historic reform effort will end decades of dysfunction in Washington, return power to the people and build a more just, equitable and prosperous country for all Americans," he said. The bill is expected to be considered...
    (CNN)Jim Carrey is a painter, cartoonist and sketcher in his spare time, using the mediums the last couple of years to speak out against the Trump administration. The actor says he's now taking a break from posting the political messages, explaining that he's taking some time to breathe after crossing "an ocean of outrage.""Hey folks...for the past 4yrs, among other commitments, I put considerable effort into this collection of political protest cartoons. It truly feels as though you and I have crossed an ocean of outrage together, but something tells me it's time to rest my social media gavel and reclaim a little neurological bandwidth," he captioned a cartoon of himself standing in a doorway with his arms outstretched. Carrey titled it: "... in case I don't see ya..." a nod to "The Truman Show." https://t.co/ahUGs4gvwi pic.twitter.com/ts5EnngYb5— Jim Carrey (@JimCarrey) February 20, 2021 He continued: "If it seemed like I...
    WASHINGTON (AP) — Merrick Garland, President Joe Biden’s nominee for attorney general, will appear for his confirmation hearing vowing to prioritize civil rights, combat extremist attacks and ensure the Justice Department remains politically independent. Garland, a federal appeals court judge who was snubbed by Republicans for a seat on the Supreme Court in 2016, will appear Monday before the Senate Judiciary Committee and is widely expected to sail through his confirmation process with bipartisan support. Garland’s nomination has gained public support on both sides of the political aisle, from more than 150 former Justice Department officials — including former attorneys general Loretta Lynch, Michael Mukasey and Alberto Gonzales, along with 61 former federal judges. Others, including two sons of former Attorney General Edward Levi, have also written letters of support to Congress. “There have been few moments in history where the role of attorney general — and the occupant of...
    This content is sponsored by Clean Virginia. Virginians pay the sixth highest electric bills in the country according to the U.S. Energy Information Administration. While the legislature has the power to address the rising cost of electricity, utility monopolies have influenced lawmakers, particularly through campaign donations, to keep prices high. Campaign finance reports released in January show that in 2020 Dominion Energy gave a total of $1.3 million to lawmakers, making it the largest political donor in Virginia last year. Previous analysis from the Virginia Public Access Project (VPAP) found that while most political action committee (PAC) giving was down last year, Dominion was one of only a handful to increase its political giving in Virginia when compared to 2018, the last off-cycle year. In fact, last year Dominion Energy more than tripled the $400,000 of campaign donations it gave in 2018. Take a closer look at how much Virginia...
    Jim Carrey has announced the end of his career as a political cartoonist after spending much of the last four years skewering the Trump administration with provocative drawings he posted online.  The actor, whose cartoons have included an image of Trump with a swastika on his forehead and blamed Fox News for downplaying the coronavirus crisis, said it was 'time to rest my social media gavel and reclaim a little neurological bandwidth'.  Comparing Trump to a 'madman at the wheel of a bus', he told his 19million Twitter followers on Saturday - a month exactly after Trump left office - that he had been on a 'quest to rid our democracy of Orange Julius Caesar and his Empire of Lies'.    Carrey, 59, accompanied the message with a drawing invoking his character in The Truman Show, with the quote: 'In case I don't see ya... [good afternoon, good evening and...
    State Sen. Melissa, R-Lake Elsinore, is taking aim at “cancel culture” with a bill that would make it illegal in California to deny someone a job or housing because of their political affiliation. The Diversity of Thought Act, which would prohibit discrimination such as firing someone or refusing them a mortgage based on their political affiliation, is one of two bills Melendez introduced that seek to elevate political affiliation to a protected class under the state constitution — just like race, religion, disability and other statuses. The other bill would require schools to investigate bullying based on political affiliation. Both invoke what has become known as “cancel culture:” the practice of forcing someone out of a position because they’ve said something that offends others. Especially since the rise of social media, members of the public have risen en masse to criticize comments by celebrities and others that they find racist or...
    Former Sen. Kelly Loeffler is starting a voter registration and outreach group called "Greater Georgia," in her first major public move since losing her Senate seat to Democrat Raphael Warnock in a Jan. 6 runoff. Loeffler's group will mirror some of the functions of "Fair Vote," the Stacey Abrams-affiliated group that many Democrats credit with the significant progress the party has made in the state in recent years. Loeffler's group will focus on registering "conservative-leaning" voters, engaging low-propensity voters and strengthening election security.  "Our state is greater – and our democracy is stronger – when everyone’s voice is heard, and that’s exactly what Greater Georgia’s work is about," Loeffler, a Republican, said in a statement. She will be the chairwoman of the group.  Sen. Kelly Loeffler greets supporters during a Republican election-night watch party, Wednesday, Jan. 6, 2021, in Atlanta. (AP Photo/John Bazemore) PERDUE EXPLORING 2022 SENATE RUN AGAINST WARNOCK, FILES WITH FEC...
    Beyond 100M: Biden team aiming for bigger vaccine numbers Washington taps pastors to overcome racial divide on vaccine Biden to mark nation crossing 500,000 COVID-19 deaths Snubbed as Obama high court pick, Garland in line to be AG Arkansas’ GOP governor says he won’t back a Trump 2024 bid Senator seeks probe of natural gas price spikes during storm Biden’s 1st month was about erasing the mark of ‘former guy’ Trump to speak at CPAC in first post-White House appearance Biden pays a visit to ailing former GOP Sen. Bob Dole Two Democratic governors see stars dimmed by virus woes Copyright © 2021 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, written or redistributed.
    Democratic Florida Rep. Charlie CristCharles (Charlie) Joseph CristFlorida Democrats mired in division, debt ahead of 2022 Lawmakers wager barbecue, sweets and crab claws ahead of Super Bowl Crist leaves door open to challenging DeSantis for Florida governor MORE sent a letter to acting U.S. Attorney General Monty Wilkinson on Sunday, calling on the Department of Justice (DOJ) to open an investigation into Florida Gov. Ron DeSantisRon DeSantisGovernors in hot water over their coronavirus response Trump to speak at CPAC in first public appearance since leaving White House DeSantis to lower Florida flags in honor of Limbaugh MORE (R) over allegations that the governor was selecting vaccine administration sites to benefit political supporters. “I write with concern about reports that Florida Governor Ron DeSantis is establishing coronavirus vaccine distribution and administration sites to select locations to benefit political allies and donors, over the needs of higher risk communities and existing county waitlists,” Crist wrote. “In...
    Actor Jim Carrey announced Saturday on social media that he will no longer be posting political cartoons — echoing a vow he made and soon broke in early 2020. Carrey posted a URL on his Twitter account, the location of a bare-bones website containing a statement about his artwork. “Hey folks… for the past 4yrs, among other commitments, I put considerable effort into this collection of political protest cartoons,” Carrey wrote. “It truly feels as though you and I have crossed an ocean of outrage together… but something tells me it’s time to rest my social media gavel and reclaim a little neurological bandwidth.” Accompanying the URL, Carrey’s post included a cartoon depicting the ending of his 1998 film The Truman Show. In that moment, his character Truman Burbank has reached the edge of a manmade dome where he has lived his entire life, unknowingly followed by hidden cameras. “In...
    (CNN)Large crowds of Haitians took to the streets again on Sunday, as a standoff between President Jovenel Moise and the country's opposition movement stretched into its third week."Those of us fighting, who want another Haiti, a Haiti pearl of the Antilles, say no to the dictatorship," one protester told Reuters in capital city Port-au-Prince, where Haitian opposition and civil society groups had called the demonstration. Another criticized the United States and international organizations for supporting the President. At the heart of protests is a dispute over the President's term limit: Moise has served only four years of the usual five, and says his term ends in 2022 -- a stance backed by the United States, United Nations and Organization of American States.Protesters, however, say he should have stepped down February 7, citing a constitutional provision that starts the clock once a president is elected, rather than when he takes office.Is...
    The head of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) announced that it had found a “temporary solution” for three months to maintain “satisfactory” monitoring with Iran. However studies from Tuesday will be limited. Iran, for its part, welcomed the talks. “Access will be reduced, do not cover our face, but we will be able to maintain the necessary level of surveillance and verification,” Rafael Croce said during a quick press conference on Sunday evening. “It saves the situation immediately,” he said. Under the terms of this “bilateral technical agreement”, the number of on-site researchers remains unchanged and the IAEA will be able to conduct unannounced inspections. But Rafael Grossi lamented that Iranian law, which plans to restrict certain studies, including suspicious military bases, would “exist and be implemented” from February 23 unless US sanctions are lifted. “We believe time is of the essence, but AEIA continues to serve the international...
    (CNN)Malcolm X's radical legacy continues to undergo an extraordinary resurgence in American politics and culture over half a century after his death, 56 years ago this week. Peniel JosephNo less than Martin Luther King Jr., Malcolm X hovers over this national moment of reckoning around racial justice. His continued resonance in policy arenas related to ending mass incarceration, police brutality and the war on drugs is evident. So is Malcolm's indefatigable pursuit of a human rights agenda broad enough to recognize the universality of Black pain and joy, oppression and resistance. Perhaps the least recognized aspect of Malcolm's legacy that is finally coming to the fore is the personal. The broad outlines of Malcolm X's life have, by now, become the stuff of legend but are worth remembering. Malcolm Little's trauma-filled childhood during the 1930s turned him into "Detroit Red," whose active involvement in the criminal underworlds of Harlem and...
    A Houston Food Bank volunteer directs traffic during a food distribution event at NRG Park in Houston on February 21, 2021.Marie D. De Jesús/Houston Chronicle via AP Let our journalists help you make sense of the noise: Subscribe to the Mother Jones Daily newsletter and get a recap of news that matters.In the wake of a devastating winter storm that has left nearly 70 Texans dead and millions without access to clean water, former Democratic congressman Beto O’Rourke has hosted phone banks to make 784,000 wellness calls to Texas seniors, organized door-to-door neighborhood check-ins for those who can’t be reached, and raised $1 million to provide food, shelter, and water to Texans in need. His Twitter timeline is a laundry list of resources for Texans who are still reeling from the storm’s impact. More than two years have passed since O’Rourke vacated his House seat in to challenge Republican Sen....
    Edward Guerra Kodatt, 26, was chosen to replace Mike Madigan in the 22nd district after getting 63% of votes.Kodatt was nominated by Madigan, who finally called it quits after 50 years in the state legislature.The committee voted Sunday and Kodatt was announced as the replacement.On Thursday, the legendary political figure sent a letter to the House speaker announcing that he will be resigning from the state representative post he has held since 1971. A second letter to the Clerk of the House tendered Madigan's resignation, effective Thursday."It's no secret that I have been the target of vicious attacks by people who sought to diminish my many achievements lifting up the working people of Illinois," Madigan said in part. "The fact is, my motivation for holding elected office has never wavered. I have been resolute in my dedication to public service and integrity, always acting in the interest of the people...
    American actor and comedian Jim Carrey on Sunday announced that he is taking a pause from posting political cartoons. The 59-year-old star took to Twitter to share a drawing of himself standing in a doorway with his arms outstretched and a caption that read “… in case I don’t see ya…,” – reminiscent of a catchphrase from The Truman Show. The actor and artist tweeted a lengthy message explaining the decision. Jim Carrey Refuses to Play Joe Biden on SNL, Actor Informs Fans About the News With a Hilarious Tweet. “Hey folks…for the past 4yrs, among other commitments, I put considerable effort into this collection of political protest cartoons. It truly feels as though you and I have crossed an ocean of outrage together…but something tells me it’s time to rest my social media gavel and reclaim a little neurological bandwidth,” he wrote. Carrey continued, “If it seemed like I...
    Nearly half of Republicans say they would abandon the party as it is currently structured and join a new party if former President Donald TrumpDonald TrumpGovernors in hot water over their coronavirus response DOJ investigating whether Alex Jones, Roger Stone played role in Jan. 6 riots: WaPo Did Biden just endorse 'human rights with Chinese characteristics'? MORE was its leader, according to a new poll released Sunday.  A Suffolk University/USA TODAY Poll found 46 percent of Republicans said they would abandon the GOP and join the Trump party if the former president decided to create one. Only 29 percent said they would stay with the GOP, with the remainder indicating they would be undecided in that event.  "We feel like Republicans don't fight enough for us, and we all see Donald Trump fighting for us as hard as he can, every single day," a Republican and small-business owner from Milwaukee, told the newspaper. "But...
    After spending months campaigning vigorously for Joe Biden, Hollywood star Barbra Streisand still appears to be in cheerleading mode, touting the president’s first month in office as a restoration of “political sanity in our country.” Streisand praised President Biden on social media Friday, declaring that the new administration will tackle climate change and oversee coronavirus vaccinations. “President Biden has restored some political sanity in our country,” Streisand wrote. “The United States will once again become one of the leaders of the free world. We will address climate change now evident in these extreme weather conditions.” She added: “Biden’s competent team is making sure Americans will be protected by getting more vaccinations in American‘s [sic] arms after Trump had downplayed the pandemic from its beginning.” Biden’s competent team is making sure Americans will be protected by getting more vaccinations in American‘s arms after Trump had downplayed the pandemic from its beginning....
    NEW YORK CITY (WABC) -- Ridership on the New York City subway is still way down from a year ago, but the number of passengers is slowly increasing as crime continues to rise.The recent spree of violence includes stabbings this month that left two people dead and two wounded.In response to the attacks, Mayor Bill de Blasio and NYPD Commissioner Dermot Shea have deployed 600 NYPD officers to patrol the subways. Still, Interim Transit President Sarah Feinberg says she wants more.Plus, Jonathan Holloway is an American historian and the 21st President of Rutgers University -- the first African American to hold the job.Halloway will discuss his new book, "The Cause of Freedom: A Concise History of African Americans."Last week, ABC Chief Medical Correspondent Dr. Jen Ashton explained that current inoculations are running behind schedule.President Biden has only been in office for one month. Responsibility for the pandemic falls on his...
    Gina Carano is speaking out about her firing from the Disney+ series "The Mandalorian" over comments she made on social media.  The actress played Cara Dune for two seasons on the hit series set in the "Star Wars" universe but faced calls for Lucasfilm and Disney to fire her over her conservative-leaning social media presence. She sat down with The Daily Wire’s Ben Shapiro, with whom she now has a movie deal, to discuss this situation on "The Ben Shapiro Show." "I've been through so much, and I've seen so much now, clearly, of the bullying that's been taking place, and I saw it before," she explains in a preview ahead of the Sunday interview (via Deadline). "I'm not the only one that's ever been bullied by this company, and I know that so deeply." Carano says that she could share a story that would "turn things around in the...
    Democratic Washington Rep. Pramila Jayapal said Sunday that it doesn’t make sense for Americans to get less relief under President Joe Biden than they had under former President Donald Trump. Jayapal joined CNN anchor Dana Bash on “State of the Union” to discuss the ongoing debate over the next coronavirus stimulus package and what she expected to be included in the final bill. (RELATED: Leading House Democrat: ‘Enormous Suffering’ Gives ‘Leverage’ To Push Socialist Agenda) WATCH: Bash noted that Biden had signaled some flexibility on the income threshold for the next round of direct payments for COVID relief, saying, “President Biden suggested that he’s willing to negotiate on who receives a $1,400 direct payment that is in the legislation.” Adding that most Democrats were insisting on $75,000 as the income limit — the same limit used in the last round of direct payments — Bash asked Jayapal whether...
    Loading the player... In honor of conservative radio host Rush Limbaugh, Republican Gov. Ron DeSantis announced he would order flags in Florida to be flown at half-staff when Limbaugh’s body is laid to rest. Limbaugh, a Florida resident, died Wednesday after battling lung cancer. DeSantis called him a friend. It’s not clear when the flags will be lowered, since the funeral plans for Limbaugh have not been announced yet. Read More: Rush Limbaugh, ‘voice of American conservatism,’ has died “When there’s things of this magnitude, once the date of interment for Rush is announced, we’re going to be lowering the flags to half staff,” DeSantis said at a news conference in Palm Beach County on Friday. Limbaugh’s death has been widely mourned by conservatives, although critics have highlighted past comments by him that they allege were bigoted and blatantly racist. Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis speaks at a new conference on the...
    (CNN)When the wife of the 16th President entered the White House in 1861, there were two big hints that her era as First Lady would be different. For one, Mary Lincoln was the first spouse of a US president to be given the sobriquet of "First Lady," a signal of how much the role and duties of the president's wife had increased in significance. Catherine ClintonThe other, of course, was that she was becoming first lady of a country on the verge of war. Within weeks of her move into the White House, Union troops were stationed in the East Room. Neither of these factors, however, hinted at how controversial a figure Mary Lincoln would become. Criticized for being a spendthrift and dismissed as hysterical, Mary Lincoln's tenure as first lady and her role in Abraham Lincoln's presidency remain divisive to this day. A mercurial, vain personality whose weaknesses periodically...
    Claudette Colvin: How Black women and girls have been excluded from civil rights history Djokovic says rollercoaster Australian Open one of toughest tournaments Unique Tip If Your Car Has Automatic Headlights Ad Microsoft The Best Flashlight We've Ever Tested Ad Microsoft Expert: “This credit card is so good I signed up personally” Ad Microsoft ...
    Two Democratic governors initially praised for their response to COVID-19 are now facing a backlash over their handling of the disease nearly a year after it began.  Californians were outraged when they saw photos of Governor Gavin Newsom eating at exclusive Napa Valley restaurant French Laundry while parts of the state were under lockdown, feeding momentum for the recall effort against him.   In New York, the FBI and Brooklyn federal prosecutors have opened a preliminary investigation over Governor Andrew Cuomo's nursing home policies after his administration hid the full number of COVID-19-related nursing home deaths for months.  Republicans and Democrats alike are outraged at him, and he's facing a possible rebuke from his own party and calls for his resignation from the GOP. Cuomo's troubles escalated in January after New York Attorney General Letitia James issued a report saying nursing home deaths "may have been undercounted." The Cuomo...
    Rep. Lauren Boebert may soon replace Georgia congresswoman Marjorie Taylor Greene as Democrats’ most hated and demonized House Republican. With the dust settling on the Greene controversy after Democrats stripped her of committee assignments over her past statements in support of conspiracy theories, it is the gun-toting, high heels-wearing, Beto O’Rourke-confronting Colorado congresswoman who is drawing a steady wave of Democratic critics. A major sign of Boebert’s power: There are already seven Democrats who have filed paperwork to challenge her in 2022 — a high number unusual for a normal House Democratic primary in any year, but especially this early in the election cycle. It is a sign of not only how big of a villain she is for Democrats but also of her messaging power. “Not all of them are equally serious, not all of them will make it to the starting line,” Colorado-based independent...
    (CNN)Florida's governor announced he'll order flags in the state flown at half-staff to honor the late conservative radio host Rush Limbaugh, whom he called "an absolute legend" and "a great person.""Once the date of interment for Rush is announced, we're going to be lowering the flags to half-staff," Gov. Ron DeSantis said Friday at a news conference in West Palm Beach.Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis speaks at a news conference on Friday in West Palm Beach.The governor said the honor is "what we do when there's things of this magnitude."The move doesn't seem to fit the state's flag protocol, which calls for flags to be flown at half-staff "in the event of the death of a present or former official of the Florida State government or the death of a member of the Armed Forces from Florida who dies while serving on active duty."Fight over Rush Limbaughs true legacy began immediately...
    A well-known Greek stage actor and director has been arrested on rape charges, police say. Dimitris Lignadis, 56, turned himself in Saturday afternoon at Athens police headquarters, Greek Police spokesman Theodoros Chronopoulos told the Associated Press. Lignadis, 56, was being held pending an appearance before a magistrate. According to media reports, at least three people have made allegations against Lignadis, including a 25-year-old man who accused him of having raped him in 2010. Justin Bieber Recalls Being Arrested in 2014, Says ‘Not Proud of Where I Was’. Lignadis has denied the accusations. Rumors of his alleged sexual misconduct swelled in recent weeks, leading to Lignadis’ resignation two weeks ago as artistic director of Greece’s National Theater, a post he had held since 2019. Revelations earlier this year by an Olympic gold medalist that she had been raped by a sailing federation official back in 1998 have sparked a #MeToo...
    WASHINGTON - President Joe Biden’s nominee for attorney general says the Justice Department must ensure laws are “fairly and faithfully enforced” and the rights of all Americans are protected, while reaffirming an adherence to policies to protect the department’s political independence. Judge Merrick Garland, who is set to appear Monday before the Senate Judiciary Committee, plans to tell senators that the attorney general must act as a lawyer for the people of the United States, not for the president. The Justice Department released a copy of Garland’s opening statement late Saturday. If confirmed, Garland would inherit a Justice Department that endured a tumultuous time under President Donald Trump — rife with political drama and controversial decisions — and abundant criticism from Democrats over what they saw as the politicizing of the nation’s top law enforcement agencies. “It is a fitting time to reaffirm that the role of the attorney...
    Close to 70 dead in states with severe winter weather: report Impeachment vote becomes defining moment for GOP senator Jim Carrey Jim Carrey is taking a pause from posting political cartoons. Accompanied by a drawing of himself standing in a doorway with his arms outstretched and a caption that read “… in case I don’t see ya…” — reminiscent of a catchphrase from The Truman Show — the actor and artist tweeted a lengthy message explaining the decision. “Hey folks…for the past 4yrs, among other commitments, I put considerable effort into this collection of political protest cartoons. It truly feels as though you and I have crossed an ocean of outrage together…but something tells me it’s time to rest my social media gavel and reclaim a little neurological bandwidth,” he wrote. Carrey continued, “If it seemed like I was ignoring my main Twitter followers here and outside the US and...
            by Chuck Ross  Imaad Zuberi, a Pakistani-American venture capitalist who cultivated connections with Joe Biden when he served as vice president, was sentenced to 12 years in prison on Thursday on foreign lobbying and campaign finance charges. Zuberi peddled influence at the highest levels of the U.S. government, meeting with both President Barack Obama and Biden during their administration. He also developed connections to prominent senators and House members of both political parties, which he leveraged to drum up overseas business deals. Zuberi, 50, pleaded guilty in October 2019 to working as an unregistered foreign agent of Sri Lanka, tax evasion and campaign finance violations. He was indicted in January 2020 on charges that he obstructed an investigation into a $1 million contribution he made in his name to the Trump inaugural committee in December 2016. In addition to the 12 year prison sentence, U.S. District...
              An Ohio school has walked back an order requiring teachers to read a script and play a video for students encouraging them to lobby their city council in support of a Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity ordinance. Hilliard City Schools in Hilliard, Ohio, sent an email earlier this month asking teachers to encourage their students to lobby their city council to pass an ordinance that would make sexual orientation and gender identity protected classes. The school received pushback on the move, with one Ohio-based advocacy group calling the ordinance “controversial and dangerous” and saying that the ordinance “would require homeless shelters and domestic violence shelters to allow men to bathe and bunk with women. It would also require businesses and schools to allow men in women’s locker rooms or showers.” “This is an unprecedented violation of the public trust,” said Aaron Baer, president of Center...
    Garland says laws must be ‘fairly and faithfully enforced’ Senator seeks probe of natural gas price spikes during storm Biden’s 1st month was about erasing the mark of ‘former guy’ Trump to speak at CPAC in first post-White House appearance Biden pays a visit to ailing former GOP Sen. Bob Dole Two Democratic governors see stars dimmed by virus woes Impeachment vote becomes defining moment for GOP senator Tribes have high hopes as Haaland confirmation hearing nears Florida is a model for voting. The GOP wants change anyway. Biden declares major disaster in Texas as federal aid flows Copyright © 2021 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, written or redistributed.
    The GameStop Bubble and the Capitol Hill Show  On January 1, the stock price of the bricks-and-mortar video game retailer GameStop (stock symbol: GME) was idling at less than $19 a share. Then the stock swelled into a giant bubble, becoming for a time the most traded stock on the planet and reaching, on January 28, an interday high of $483, an increase of more than 2,500 percent. Then the stock fell back to earth again, closing at a mere $40 on February 19. Along the way, the GameStop parabola received enormous attention, as accusations flew about market manipulation. And so it was inevitable that Congress would get involved.  That involvement came big time on February 18, when the House Financial Services Committee, chaired by Rep. Maxine Waters (D-CA), convened a hearing, given a showy title in advance: “Game Stopped? Who Wins and Loses When Short Sellers, Social Media, and Retail Investors Collide.”...
    WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Ten U.S. corporations slashed donations to candidates seeking federal office by more than 90% in January, after pledging to cut off giving to the Republicans who supported former President Donald Trump's attempt to overturn his election defeat. None of the political action committees of 10 major companies reviewed by Reuters, including Microsoft Corp, Walmart Inc, AT&T Inc and Comcast Corp, donated to any of the 147 congressional Republicans who voted to support Trump's claims just hours after his supporters launched a deadly assault on the U.S. Capitol. Disclosures to the Federal Election Commission ahead of a Saturday filing deadline showed the group of corporate PACs affiliated with those 10 companies made $13,000 in new donations to candidates in January. The reports were the first by the PACs to detail contributions made since the Jan. 6 Capitol attack. The money donated during the month was less than one-tenth...
    Former President Donald Trump will speak at the Conservative Political Action Conference next week, his first major appearance since leaving office last month, a source familiar confirms for ABC News.Trump's speech next Sunday afternoon will address the future of the Republican Party and the conservative movement as well as President Joe Biden's immigration policies, the source added.This week, Trump blistered Mitch McConnell as a "political hack," days after the Senate's top Republican denounced him as the inciter of U.S. Capitol attack."The Republican Party can never again be respected or strong with political 'leaders' like Sen. Mitch McConnell at its helm," Trump said in a statement released by his political action committee.Meanwhile, Trump's acquittal by the Senate in his impeachment trial may not be the end of the line for efforts to keep him from seeking the presidency again.If Trump chooses to run for the White House in 2024, opponents are...
    ATHENS, Greece (AP) — A well-known Greek stage actor and director has been arrested on rape charges, police say. Dimitris Lignadis, 56, turned himself in Saturday afternoon at Athens police headquarters, Greek Police spokesman Theodoros Chronopoulos told the Associated Press. Lignadis, 56, was being held pending an appearance before a magistrate. According to media reports, at least three people have made allegations against Lignadis, including a 25-year-old man who accused him of having raped him in 2010. Lignadis has denied the accusations. Rumors of his alleged sexual misconduct swelled in recent weeks, leading to Lignadis’ resignation two weeks ago as artistic director of Greece’s National Theater, a post he had held since 2019. Revelations earlier this year by an Olympic gold medalist that she had been raped by a sailing federation official back in 1998 have sparked a #MeToo movement reckoning in Greece. People have come forward to...
    (CNN)The tragic situation in Texas following this week's historic cold snap and power outages has people pointing fingers. Perhaps the ire has been pointed toward no one more than Texas Sen. Ted Cruz, who left the state for Cancun, Mexico.It's obviously too early to know what if any political fallout will be suffered by Cruz or Texas Gov. Greg Abbott.What history does tell us is that how a politician responds to a natural disaster can have a major impact on his or her political standing. Hurricane Katrina's aftermath inflicted tremendous pain on Louisiana. Some politicians, such as Ray Nagin, then New Orleans' mayor, were able to get reelected, after the storm. Kathleen Blanco, who was Louisiana's governor at the time, was not so fortunate. Blanco had received consistently high marks as governor prior to the 2005 storm. After Katrina, a plurality of voters consistently disapproved of her performance. Her ratings...
    Vladimir Putin’s opponent of the Kremlin was twice convicted on Saturday, in two cases. His prison sentence was confirmed, for a period of two and a half years. LRussia must be not only free but also happy. It will be… ”In the middle of his legal marathon, this Saturday, February 20, Alexeï Navalny left his usual registers, between political tirades and humorous winks, to offer himself a few flights, between philosophy and religion. From his glass cage where Vladimir Putin’s Kremlin opponent was tried twice in a single day, he wanted to speak well beyond the court. “Happy are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be satisfied,” he said, quoting the Bible. In front of him, judge and prosecutor did not react.
    The arrest of Pablo Hasél has occupied a large part of the content both the informative services and the daily magazines dealing with current affairs. First, his confinement at the University of Lleida, then his arrest by the Mossos d’Esquadra and, finally, the protests against his imprisonment throughout the country. Analyzing all these facts, ‘Antena 3 noticias 1’ made a graphic error that did not go unnoticed on the networks. Wrong graphic in ‘Antena 3 Noticias 1’ Sandra Golpe was in charge of presenting the newscast of the orange chain of Atresmedia issued on February 19, where the aforementioned confusion occurred. From his table, he gave way to Victoria Arnau to analyze how the protesters who were causing the disturbances in the streets were organized and, while the images were entering the screen, a sign specified that posters of « anarchist and far-left symbology« . Although the news program continued normally,...
    (CNN)During New York's darkest pandemic days, Gov. Andrew Cuomo emerged as one of the country's brightest political stars. His data-heavy daily news briefings became appointment television for millions of Americans searching for a steady hand and dose of empathy to counteract then-President Donald Trump's mixture of erratic, dangerous denialism. But Cuomo's image -- of a competent, hands-on executive -- has suffered a fierce blow over the past few weeks, following new revelations that his administration underreported the number of Covid deaths among New York nursing home patients, according to a state attorney general report, and then delayed sharing potentially damaging information with state lawmakers.Cuomo has denied any suggestion of wrongdoing and forcefully defended his top aides. He has also scrambled to contain the fallout through backchannels, leaning on some Democratic legislators in search of public support -- and, according to a few of them, issuing threats when his requests were...
    President Biden discussing normalcy with the rest of the world at the Munich Security Conference (virtual presentation). Ashley Parker/WaPo with the story of the day: One night in Cancun: Ted Cruz’s disastrous decision to go on vacation during Texas storm crisis Usually, it takes at least one full day in Cancun to do something embarrassing you’ll never live down. But for Ted Cruz (R-Tex.), it took just 10 hours — from when his United plane touched down at Cancun International Airport at 7:52 p.m. Wednesday to when he booked a return flight back to Houston around 6 a.m. Thursday — for the state’s junior senator to apparently realize he had made a horrible mistake. xThe dumbest member of congress throws Ted in some hot water pic.twitter.com/v5ceRUAJ88— Molly Jong-Fast???? (@MollyJongFast) February 19, 2021 NBC: It's been a brutal two months for the GOP Just how brutal have the last...
    This content was republished with permission from WTOP’s news partners at Maryland Matters. Sign up for Maryland Matters’ free email subscription today. He earned national acclaim for his role in the second Trump impeachment trial. But Rep. Jamie Raskin (D-Md.) said on Friday he has no immediately plans to use his increased status as a political springboard. “I honestly don’t know the answer to that,” the lawmaker told WAMU-FM host Kojo Nnamdi and political analyst Tom Sherwood, when asked about his future. “I am passionately committed to my work in the House of Representatives and to representing the great people in Montgomery and Frederick and Carroll counties,” he added. “And that’s really all I want to do right now.” The lawmaker, who served as the lead impeachment manager, cautioned that the former president remains a threat to the nation. “We still have him pandering to racist, violent, insurrectionist forces in the country, so I’m...
    Burmese police fired on Saturday in Mandalay (center) on anti-junta demonstrators leaving at least five injured, the day after the death of a young 20-year-old grocer, the first victim of military repression. Several hundred police officers intervened at a shipyard in the country’s second city, raising fears of arrests of employees mobilized against the coup. Protesters then banged on pots in an attempt to prevent the arrests, but the police fired, according to an . journalist present at the scene. “At least five people were injured,” added this source, who could not specify whether the shots had been carried out with live ammunition or with rubber ammunition. Slingshots were also used by the police, according to footage from .. The junta in power since the coup of February 1 continues to increase the pressure on the pro-democracy movement. Despite this, several thousand protesters, including representatives of many ethnic minorities...
    EuropeCriticism Olivier le Bussy Subscribers Published on 02/20/21 at 11:45 a.m. – Updated 02/20/21 at 11:46 am © DR No Boris, no Brexit? That the whimsical politician has decided to take on the role of Brexit champion is basically in line with his personal journey, as demonstrated by Tristan de Bourbon, London correspondent for several media, including The Free, in the book he devotes to the “thwarted European” that is Boris Johnson.
            by Conrad Black  Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) committed a mortal political error on Saturday when, after voting to acquit President Trump on constitutional grounds, he accused the former president of the crime of being “practically and morally” responsible for the invasion and vandalization of the U.S. Capitol on January 6 and the deaths of five people. McConnell not only signed on to the ultimate NeverTrump loyalty oath of submission to the totalitarian big lie there was no possible doubt about the legitimacy of the election verdict; he also declared Trump had no choice but to accept the result and quietly leave Washington with his tail between his legs. McConnell took it upon himself to declare the end of the Trump era in the Republican Party, nailing his flag to the mast of return to the McCRomBush swamp of alternating Democrats with Dem look-alikes...
    By WILL WEISSERT and STEVE PEOPLES, Associated Press WASHINGTON (AP) — Ted Cruz's political career already featured many surprise twists before a jaunt to Mexico this week brought him a new level of notoriety. The Texas senator was once the biggest threat to Donald Trump capturing the 2016 presidential nomination. During a particularly bitter stretch of that year's Republican primary, Cruz called Trump a “coward” and “pathological liar.” By last month, however, Cruz was one of Trump's staunchest allies and a leader in the former president's baseless attempt to overturn the November election. Such shifts are intended to keep Cruz in a strong position with the GOP base if he runs for the White House again in 2024. But they've also turned him into one of Washington's most villainized figures, someone willing to take any politically convenient position if it keeps his future ambitions alive. Cruz is under further attack...
              Live from Music Row Friday morning on The Tennessee Star Report with Michael Patrick Leahy – broadcast on Nashville’s Talk Radio 98.3 and 1510 WLAC weekdays from 5:00 a.m. to 8:00 a.m. –  host Leahy welcomed author and political writer Ben Weingarten to the newsmakers line. During the second hour, Weingarten outlined what inspired him to write his latest book about Ilhan Omar and his new podcast NatCon Squad which he co-hosts with other millennial conservatives. Towards the end of the segment, he predicted in detail what we may see from a Biden presidency going forward. Leahy: We welcome to our newsmaker line Ben Weingarten. He’s a co-host of a new podcast new show called the NatCon Squad. A production of the Edmund Burke Foundation. Their first episode is the trouble with Big Tech. He is also the author of a book and I love...
    WASHINGTON (AP) — Ted Cruz’s political career already featured many surprise twists before a jaunt to Mexico this week brought him a new level of notoriety. The Texas senator was once the biggest threat to Donald Trump capturing the 2016 presidential nomination. During a particularly bitter stretch of that year’s Republican primary, Cruz called Trump a “coward” and “pathological liar.” By last month, however, Cruz was one of Trump’s staunchest allies and a leader in the former president’s baseless attempt to overturn the November election. Such shifts are intended to keep Cruz in a strong position with the GOP base if he runs for the White House again in 2024. But they’ve also turned him into one of Washington’s most villainized figures, someone willing to take any politically convenient position if it keeps his future ambitions alive. Cruz is under further attack for traveling to Cancun while his constituents suffered...
    Cruz trip tests durability of scandal, memory of voters Biden defends progress on COVID as weather delays 6M shots Biden declares ‘America is back’ in welcome words to allies Inspector general reviews Trump relocation of Space Command Manchin’s opposition threatens to sink Biden budget nominee Pentagon chief urges immediate reduction in Taliban violence US sanctions over pipeline from Russia deemed lacking by GOP Biden repudiates Trump on Iran, ready for talks on nuke deal Back in Paris pact, US faces tougher climate steps ahead Suspected Russian hack fuels new US action on cybersecurity Copyright © 2021 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, written or redistributed.
    Gina Carano, the conservative actress who was fired from the hit series The Mandalorian for comparing the political climate to the Nazi era, claims her former bosses at Lucasfilm and Disney were 'watching her like a hawk' before her ouster. ‘I’ve been through so much, and I’ve seen so much now, clearly, of the bullying that’s been taking place, and I saw it before,’ the former mixed martial artist tells Ben Shapiro of The Daily Wire in an interview set to air on Sunday. DailyMail.com has sought comment from both Lucasfilm and Disney. An excerpt of the interview was published on Friday by Deadline.  In it, Carano tells Shapiro: ‘I’m not the only one that’s ever been bullied by this company, and I know that so deeply.’ She added: ‘I could share a story which would turn things around in the media but I can’t because it would sell out...
    Millennium Digital Mexico City / 02.19.2021 21:26:47 As part of the commemoration of International Women’s Day, the National Electoral Institute will hold a forum for reflection and dialogue on the exercise of political and electoral rights of women in violence-free contexts, in which testimonies and achievements of candidates representing priority attention groups will be analyzed. In the event, called “Political and electoral rights of women. Towards an electoral process 2020-2021 with equality, parity and inclusion ”, will participate rInstitution representativess such as the National Institute of Women, the Supreme Court of Justice of the Nation and the Electoral Tribunal of the Judicial Power of the Federation. Representatives of the Senate and the Chamber of Deputies and Deputies, in addition to civil society organizations, such as the « Network We Have Other Data » and the « Colectivo Constituents CDMX ». The inauguration of the aforementioned forum will...
    Former Republican South Carolina Rep. Trey Gowdy criticized Democratic New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo during Friday’s broadcast of “Special Report.” Gowdy joined a panel discussion addressing Cuomo’s continued insistence that any criticism of his policies was politically motivated. (RELATED: Cuomo Blows Off Critics, Claims It’s His Duty To Keep People From Lying To New Yorkers) WATCH: Anchor Bret Baier began the segment with a mention of bipartisan calls for investigations into Cuomo and the reported data on coronavirus deaths in New York’s nursing homes, as well as Democratic New York Assemblyman Ron Kim’s claim that the governor pressured him to lie. “Bret, it’s the dark triad of political scandal as you have a lethal public policy, you have these psychotic calls to people that dare to criticize you, you admit that you manufactured evidence for your own personal political gain,” Gowdy replied. “You have bipartisan outrage.” “You got...
    WASHINGTON (AP) — Ted Cruz’s political career already featured many surprise twists before a jaunt to Mexico this week brought him a new level of notoriety. The Texas senator was once the biggest threat to Donald Trump capturing the 2016 presidential nomination. During a particularly bitter stretch of that year’s Republican primary, Cruz called Trump a “coward” and “pathological liar.” By last month, however, Cruz was one of Trump’s staunchest allies and a leader in the former president’s baseless attempt to overturn the November election. Such shifts are intended to keep Cruz in a strong position with the GOP base if he runs for the White House again in 2024. But they’ve also turned him into one of Washington’s most villainized figures, someone willing to take any politically convenient position if it keeps his future ambitions alive. Cruz is under further attack for traveling to Cancun while his constituents suffered...
    Thousands gathered in the town of Kherrata on Tuesday Mass street protests are back in Algeria and the government is nervous. Cries of “Algeria, free, democratic” have once again been heard as thousands from all walks of life thronged to Kherrata, a town 200km (120 miles) east of the capital, Algiers, on Tuesday. When the anti-government movement, known as the Hirak, started almost exactly two years ago it brought down a president and paved the way for some high-profile corruption prosecutions. Its weekly protests in Algiers attracted huge crowds and were an unprecedented show of popular opinion, considering protests had in effect been prohibited in the city since 2001. Weekly protests became a feature of life in Algiers from February 2019 The Hirak left the streets last year because of the coronavirus pandemic but it never really went away, and the Kherrata demonstration marked its first...
    More On: rush limbaugh Media created Cuomo myth and other commentary University of California staff celebrates Rush Limbaugh’s death as media pitch Trump reflects on decision to award Medal of Freedom to Rush Limbaugh Rush Limbaugh took jab at Biden in final Facebook post before his death When conservative radio giant Rush Limbaugh died, it took only seconds for the vultures of the left to swoop down and begin picking at the public corpse. Not all on the left did so. Some were gracious. But many were filled with glee and rapture that their great enemy was gone. I won’t begin to dignify them with a response. I prefer to mourn Limbaugh as a great American, a great conservative, a tremendously talented broadcaster who loved his country and its traditions of individual liberty. And he unapologetically made millions of dollars doing it, which fed the rage of his detractors....
    Politico declared Friday that the controversy surrounding Republican Sen. Ted Cruz's trip to Cancun amid a deadly winter storm in his home state of Texas marks the revival of the "age of political scandal" -- despite the growing legal woes facing Democratic New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo over his handling of nursing homes during the coronavirus pandemic.  The latest installment of the Politico Playbook featured a section labeled "THE RETURN OF THE WASHINGTON SCANDAL" in boldface type. The accompanying text posited that there is "something refreshingly normal" about the uproar surrounding Cruz's ill-timed vacation.  "A lot of observers wondered if the age of political scandal was dead — if partisans on both sides were so defined by hatred of their rival political tribe that they would let their own leaders get away with just about anything," it read. "And then a bearded man appearing to be Cruz was photographed with a roller bag at the United counter at Houston’s...
    By WILL WEISSERT and STEVE PEOPLES, Associated Press WASHINGTON (AP) — Ted Cruz's political career already featured many surprise twists before a jaunt to Mexico this week brought him a new level of notoriety. The Texas senator was once the biggest threat to Donald Trump capturing the 2016 presidential nomination. During a particularly bitter stretch of that year's Republican primary, Cruz called Trump a “coward” and “pathological liar.” By last month, however, Cruz was one of Trump's staunchest allies and a leader in the former president's baseless attempt to overturn the November election. Such shifts are intended to keep Cruz in a strong position with the GOP base if he runs for the White House again in 2024. But they've also turned him into one of Washington's most villainized figures, someone willing to take any politically convenient position if it keeps his future ambitions alive. Cruz is under further attack...
    President Biden is hitting the road again – getting out of Washington for the second time this week as he makes the case for his top priority in the early days of his administration – a $1.9 trillion COVID relief package. Biden on Friday visited Pfizer's COVID-19 vaccine manufacturing facility near Kalamazoo, Michigan. Increasing vaccinations is a crucial element in the president’s recovery plan. The stop came two days after the president held a town hall in Milwaukee, Wisconsin on Wednesday, where Biden pushed his proposal, which has seen GOP pushback over the price tag. BIDEN PLANNING TRIP TO TEXAS AMID WEATHER CRISIS Michigan and Wisconsin also happen to be crucial battleground states where Biden narrowly edged out then-President Trump in his presidential election victory. President Joe Biden tours a Pfizer manufacturing site, Friday, Feb. 19, 2021, in Portage, Mich. (AP Photo/Evan Vucci) The itinerary this week has some political...
    Former New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie took on a familiar foe this week, bashing teachers unions for their reluctance to return to in-school learning. In an op-ed for the Wall Street Journal, Christie implored the Biden administration to "follow the science, not the teachers unions." "Unions in California are demanding shots before returning to work and some say they may not return even after vaccination," he wrote. "How do we square that with the hundreds of thousands of essential workers who have continued to work through the pandemic despite the dangers?" "Again adults are placing their own interests ahead of the interests of the children. It’s the unions and their leaders who are doing this, not the rank-and-file members. Numerous courageous teachers have spoken out against the union position." "Schools have reopened in Europe and some U.S. states, both red and blue, without any major outbreaks caused by in-school...
    Porfirije Peric, 60, is considered to be close to those in power in Belgrade.
    New York Democrat Gov. Andrew Cuomo needs to "stop playing politics" and "admit a mistake" in ordering nursing homes to take in COVID-positive patients, two Brooklyn brothers who lost their father in the pandemic told "America Reports" Friday. Daniel and Peter Arbeeny, two longtime Democrats, told co-hosts John Roberts and Sandra Smith they want the governor to speak frankly with them and those who lost loved ones. "He said the same thing today as he said when we claimed that the death [count] of 6,800 was wrong. They were misleading, and they were hiding the numbers. So he has made this political," said Peter Arbeeny. "He shouldn't be saying the same thing today, because the facts are that we were correct five, six months ago, because the numbers went from 6,800 [deaths] to 15,000. "So he cannot use the same political rhetoric and say ... that this is a political football by the Republican Party," Peter added. "I'm a Democrat. I became a...
    The political fallout from Sen. Ted CruzRafael (Ted) Edward CruzKacey Musgraves takes aim at Sen. Cruz with 'Cruzin for a bruzin' t-shirt fundraiser Heidi Cruz invited friends, neighbors with them to Cancun in group texts: NYT Cruz says 'it was a mistake' to go to Cancun amid Texas arctic blast MORE’s (R-Texas) ill-timed flight to Mexico this week is poised to last much longer than his 24-hour trip south of the border. Strategists say that by venturing to Cancun while his constituents back home faced widespread power outages and freezing temperatures, the Texas senator may have done damage to his political career that could haunt him well into 2024, when he will likely run for reelection to his Senate seat or possibly mount a presidential bid. “He broke one of the cardinal rules of politics: Be there in a crisis,” one Republican who works on presidential campaigns said. “I don’t...
    Governor Andrew Cuomo holds daily press briefing at the foot of Mario Cuomo Bridge in Tarrytown, New York, June 15, 2020.Lev Radin | Pacific Press | LightRocket via Getty Images What a difference a few months have made for New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo — and not in a good way. Cuomo last year was lionized by many who saw him as a competent, science-respecting, straight-talking, dad-like counterpoint to then-President Donald Trump's off-the-cuff, expert-disdaining and often-confusing approach to handling the coronavirus pandemic. Cuomo's daily press conferences detailing the grim Covid-19 statistics in New York, and urging citizens to take precautions from becoming infected, became must-see TV for weeks, as did his towel-snapping banter in interviews with CNN anchorman Chris Cuomo — his own brother. As a result, there was renewed talk that Cuomo, whose father Mario's agonizing over whether to run for president earned him the sobriquet of "Hamlet on...
    The disgraced Lincoln Project has just hired Lincoln Project donors to investigate the Lincoln Project. That sounds like a joke. Well, it is, but it’s a joke that happens to be true, and one that perfectly encapsulates just how rotted, corrupt, and dangerous American institutions have become. Here it all is… Two lead attorneys at Paul Hastings, an international law firm retained by the Lincoln Project to probe misconduct allegations internally, have donated to the organization before. Federal Election Commission (FEC) records show that Greg Nitzkowski and Elena Baca, the managing partner and employment law department chair, respectively, at Paul Hastings, contributed roughly $4,900 in collective donations to the political action committee during the second half of last year. The story above is two day old, and for two days I’ve been waiting for the left-wing Lincoln Project super PAC to be laughed off the planet for trying to pull...
    Let our journalists help you make sense of the noise: Subscribe to the Mother Jones Daily newsletter and get a recap of news that matters. Each Friday, we bring you an article from our archive to propel you into the weekend. Fifteen years ago, almost to the day, the White House released a report titled “The Federal Response to Hurricane Katrina: Lessons Learned.” Frances Fragos Townsend, assistant to the president for Homeland Security and Counterterrorism, wrote in a letter to President George W. Bush a tale playing out again today in Texas. It was a disaster that could, if studied, be prevented from happening again. Yes, Katrina was “a deadly reminder that we can and must do better,” Townsend wrote. But he was confident: “We will.” We have not. And we never did. As James Ridgeway (who recently passed away) and Jean Casella documented in a timeline of events published...
    Claudia Conway grew up watching "American Idol" in Alpine, New Jersey, and calls the chance to audition for the show, "a life changing experience."But as the daughter of Kellyanne Conway, a top advisor to former President Donald Trump, the pressure on her is more intense than for others trying out.She's proud to call herself a Jersey Girl, but she's spent the past four years in Washington, DC, the daughter of a mother who worked for Trump and a father who actively opposed him.Now, Claudia Conway is trying to make a name for herself while putting any and all controversy behind her.Extended interview with Claudia Conway:EMBED More News Videos Claudia Conway on her 'American Idol' audition, what happened with her shoes, and her parents When she heard Idol judge Katy Perry say, "You're going to Hollywood," it was the culmination of a dream."I went back to when I was younger, watching...
    PARIS (Reuters) - French President Emmanuel Macron said on Friday his concept of "European strategic autonomy" in the defence sector did not mean he wanted to drift apart from the United States but that it would make Europe a more reliable partner and strengthen NATO. "I do believe in NATO," Macron said during the Munich Security Conference, more than a year after causing confusion among other members of the transatlantic military alliance by saying NATO was "experiencing brain death". "I do believe NATO needs a new political momentum and clarification of its strategic concept. NATO needs a more political approach," he added, speaking after the first G7 meeting attended by U.S. President Joe Biden. Since his election in 2017, Macron has been pushing for the European Union to stand on its own feet when it comes to security, and no longer rely solely on U.S. military protection inherited from World...
    The new CEO of Parler called allegations that the social media platform was used to help coordinate the Jan. 6 Capitol attack a “political hit” job and said that Big Tech firms view his company as a “business threat.” Interim CEO Mark Meckler pledged Parler's "independence from the Big Tech oligarchy," and that it would only work with vendors that are committed to "free speech" and that won't come under attack from the "woke mob," during an interview with the Epoch Times on Thursday. Parler was founded in 2018 and billed itself as a platform that protects free speech. It has been popular with conservatives and jumped to the most downloaded app on Apple in November after the presidential election. A handful of Big Tech companies, including Amazon, Apple, and Google, moved to take down Parler in early January, citing its role in enabling the Capitol attack. Parler announced...
    NEW YORK State Republicans are looking to start an impeachment commission "to gather facts and evidence" regarding New York State Governor Andrew Cuomo's "handling and subsequent cover-up of the COVID-19 crisis in nursing homes." The Assembly Republican Conference is looking into a possible impeachment move of the governor after a shocking admission by one of the governor's top aides showed the governor's administration hid numbers of Covid-19 related deaths in nursing homes across the state. 4New York State Republicans are looking to make a commission to impeach CuomoCredit: AP:Associated Press 4One of Cuomo's top aides admitted the state had hidden Covid-19 related nursing home deathsCredit: Reuters The ARC will be introducing a bill that will create a bipartisan panel that will be "examining the state’s method of administration and conduct in all matters relating to nursing homes and long-term care facilities during the COVID-19 pandemic." The committee will then have...