Saturday, Mar 06, 2021 - 08:21:52
510 results - (0.008 seconds)

for the Capitol:

The Justice Department has issued an 'urgent plea' for help from prosecutors across the United States amid 'a significant influx of cases' following the Capitol riot.  In an internal email seen by ABC an official wrote: 'The (office) has an urgent need for assistance with prosecuting hundreds of criminal cases. 'Based on the importance and immediacy of the need, we ask each United States Attorney to consider whether he or she can offer critical assistance to the (office in Washington).'  The email, sent last week, said anyone volunteering to help 'may serve from their home districts or in the District of Columbia' in a reassignment that could last nine months.   More than 170 people have been charged in connection with the January 6 Capitol attack involving suspects from all over the country; the feds have identified at least 400 people they say may have committed crimes at the siege.   One former...
    Tucker Carlson labelled Alexandra Ocasio-Cortez a 'narcissist' last night after she posted a tearful Instagram about her traumatic experience of the Capitol riot. He accused the 31-year-old Democrat of manipulating voters with a deceitful video targeted at younger generations on social media.  In a live stream on Monday night Ocasio-Cortez described how she was terrified she was going to be killed by Donald Trump supporters storming the Hill on January 6. She also compared those who denied her story to the 'tactics' of abusers, revealing that she was a 'survivor of sexual assault.'  During the riot AOC was in Cannon House - offices which are part of the Capitol complex and not the Capitol Building itself which is around 300 yards away. Carlson commented on her video: 'There she is again. Defender of the common man, yammering on about the only subject she really cares about - herself. 'Wallowing around...
    (CNN)Should the House managers prosecuting Donald Trump in his second impeachment trial call witnesses to appear before the Senate? The answer is yes. The reason: the outcome of the former president's first impeachment trial. Michael D'Antonio Public interest in watching the televised hearings of the Senate's trial of Trump on charges of abusing his power and obstructing justice -- stemming from his withholding of aid to Ukraine after Trump tried to force Ukraine to give him domestic political help -- waned as House impeachment managers prosecutors started making their case. Had they not been denied the right to subpoena witnesses by Republicans who controlled the Senate, more people might have tuned in to watch the substance of the trial rather than just waiting for the verdict and GOP senators might have been confronted with a groundswell of pro-impeachment sentiment from voters. Instead, with the exception of Mitt Romney, Republican...
    A general view of the US Capitol siege in Washington DC on January 6, 2021. Samuel Corum/Getty Images A Seattle Proud Boys leader was arrested Wednesday in connection to his role in the Capitol siege.  Ethan Nordean, aka Rufio Panman, is charged with interfering with an official proceeding. The FBI says Nordean had planned for conflict before he arrived at the Capitol on January 6.  Visit Insider's homepage for more stories. The FBI has arrested a Proud Boys leader from Seattle in connection to his alleged role in the Capitol siege, according to the Department of Justice. Ethan Nordean, who also goes by Rufio Panman, has been charged with interfering with an official proceeding, aiding and abetting, knowingly entering a restricted building, and violent entry and disorderly conduct on Capitol grounds.  Nordean is the self-proclaimed "Sergeant at Arms" of the Seattle chapter of the largely right-wing, all-male,...
    When the insurrectionists stormed the Capitol, I was sitting in my Brooklyn apartment in my pajamas, following live Twitter feeds. At some point I started getting messages that someone was accusing me of being a prominent QAnon activist who’d been photographed at the riot. As someone who’s written about the far right for years and had been the subject of their conspiracy theories before, I shrugged it off. Then I started getting more messages. This time from old friends—classmates from college, even ex-girlfriends—to see if I was OK. It slowly dawned on me that the tweeter was not a run-of-the-mill unhinged person but a famous unhinged person: Trumpist attorney Lin Wood, who worked on the Kraken lawsuit and had over a million followers. Threats naturally followed, and Wood’s tweet was reported in The New York Times as part of a story debunking the false claims that antifa had secretly stoked...
    A Catholic priest from Nebraska was filmed talking about how he performed an 'exorcism' at the US Capitol during the January 6 MAGA riots.  The Rev David Fulton, a pastor at two churches in central Nebraska, was among the thousands of Donald Trump supporters who gathered at the Capitol in protest as Congress met to certify Joe Biden's victory.  Footage has now emerged of Fulton speaking to a videographer, Eddie Becker, about how he performed an exorcism on a demon named 'Baphomet' who he said is 'dissolving the country'.   Becker told the Omaha World-Herald that Fulton was walking toward the west side of the Capitol when the pair struck up a conversation at about 3.25pm, after other rioters had already breached the building.  Fulton, who was wearing a clerical collar, says that he's a 'Roman Catholic' from Nebraska and holds up a book entitled: 'Minor Exorcisms and Deliverance Prayers in...
    Donald Trump's legal team is still scrambling to nail down its defense strategy as a deadline looms at noon on Tuesday for the former president to reply to a charge of incitement of insurrection brought by the House last month. Over the weekend, Trump split with his previous team of lawyers, with reports indicating they were unwilling to center their legal strategy on election fraud claims. His new lawyers, which were announced Sunday, have not indicated what defense they have planned for the 45th president. Those who will represent Trump in the Senate trial next week are David Schoen, a Fox News commentator and former counsel to the sex offender Jeffrey Epstein, and Bruce Castor, a former county prosecutor in Montgomery County, Pennsylvania – where Trump's campaign sued over claims of fraudulently counting mail-in ballots. The team shake-up and lack of legal strategy maintains as there's just one week left...
    Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez was so frightened of being killed by the MAGA mob that ransacked the US Capitol on January 6 that she hid in colleague Katie Porter’s office where a staffer lent her sneakers in case she needed to run for her life. 'I hope I get to be a mom, I hope I don’t die today,’ the progressive New York congresswoman told Porter as a large mob of hundreds of Trump supporters invaded the Capitol on January 6. Porter, the House lawmaker from California’s 45th congressional district, told MSNBC on Monday that during the riot, the progressive New York congresswoman asked to come into her office. The California Democrat recalled how Ocasio-Cortez and several of her staffers appeared in front of her office door and asked to be let in. House Rep. Katie Porter (left), a California Democrat, recalls allowing her colleague, House Rep.  Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (right),...
    CNN anchor John Berman made an unfortunate gaffe Monday while speaking about the upcoming Senate impeachment trial of former President Donald Trump.  The "New Day" co-host was interviewing Sen. Tina Smith, D-Minn., when the introduction to one of his questions turned unintentionally graphic.  SCHUMER MAKES UNFORTUNATE GAFFE ON SENATE FLOOR, SOCIAL MEDIA ERUPTS "So you are going to sit in and listen to the Senate impeachment trial of the former president of the United States, who has been impeached for inciting the erection," Berman said before awkwardly pausing and correcting himself. "Er, inciting the insurrection at the US Capitol."    This isn't the first time a prominent figure botched the word "insurrection" in the same manner. Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y. went viral last month after making a similar flub.  CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP  "Make no mistake, there will be a trial and when that trial ends, senators will...
    QANON conspiracy theorists believe the Myanmar military coup is all “part of the plan” and “should be a lesson” for Joe Biden when the military mobilize. Believers took to social media to link the military takeover to the situation in the US in the aftermath of the Capitol riots on January 6 just days before Biden was sworn in as the next president. 9QAnon conspiracy theorists believe the Myanmar military coup should be a lesson to President Joe Biden following the Capitol riotsCredit: AP:Associated Press 9Believers in the strange theory have linked the situation in Myanmar to the USACredit: Twitter 9One supporter of the theory thought Biden was scared of the military seizing power in the USCredit: Twitter 9Another indicated the US military could attempt a takeover of the USCredit: Twitter One wrote: “We will see this headline here soon” and added a link to a news story which in...
    JOHN Krasinski took aim at Capitol rioters in a sketch for Saturday Night Live's first episode of 2021. The Office actor, 41, plays a character who gets arrested by an FBI agent during a quarantine "game night" with his pals. 8John Krasinski poked fun at Capitol rioters in an SNL sketch Credit: NBCU John's role sees him hunkering down in a "quarantine pod" with five other friends at one of their homes. The doorbell rings and John's friend, Brad, answers it, thinking it will be the pizza delivery guy. Instead, it's an FBI agent ready to arrest Brad for taking part in the riots on January 6. "I care about our nation and its Constitution, so I wiped jelly on a statue and put [Nancy] Pelosi's phone down my pants," Brad explains to his friends. 8He played a guy having pizza during 'games night' with his...
    The first Saturday Night Live Weekend Update of 2021 began with a look at what the weeks since their last December show hath wrought, and it was a bit more optimistic than Kate McKinnon’s assessment in the show’s cold open, cheering on the inauguration of President Joe Biden, Christmas, and a win for diversity. ‘Well, guys, a lot has happened since our last show,” Weekend Update anchor Colin Jost welcomed the audience back to Studio 8H, and noted that “some of it was good,” mentioning the Biden inauguration — “that was nice” — and the holidays. “I like Christmas.” “And, hey, now the Terrorist Watch List includes white people, so yay for diversity. Yay for diversity. It’s important to see yourself represented.” Watch the video above, via NBC. Have a tip we should know? [email protected]
    BUCKS COUNTY, Pa. (CBS) — Two women from Bucks County were arrested for their alleged involvement in the insurrection at the U.S. Capitol. Dawn Bancroft and Diana Santos-Smith are accused of storming the Capitol during the deadly riots on Jan. 6. Bancroft and Santos-Smith are facing federal charges. In the criminal complaint, authorities say Bancroft was seen in a selfie video posted to social media, stating she wanted to shoot House Speaker Nancy Pelosi “in the friggin’ brain, but we didn’t find her.” Officials say the women were identified through social media posts and tipsters. The women are facing three federal charges for entering a restricted building and impeding government business. At least 160 people have been charged with crimes related to the U.S. Capitol riots. MORE ON CBSPHILLY.COM Winter Storm Warning In Place As Region Braces For Possibility Of Several Inches Of Snow Playland’s Castaway Cove Damaged After...
    By Paul P. Murphy | CNN Federal prosecutors charged a woman in connection to the January 6 riot at the US Capitol in Washington who they say can be heard on video making violent remarks about House Speaker Nancy Pelosi. The woman, Dawn Bancroft, was charged along with Diana Santos-Smith for violent entry on Capitol grounds, remaining in a restricted area and disorderly conduct in a restricted building. In an affidavit, investigators cited a “selfie” video they say was taken by Bancroft. Investigators claim she is heard saying, “We broke into the Capitol. … We got inside, we did our part.” “We were looking for Nancy to shoot her in the friggin’ brain, but we didn’t find her,” Bancroft says, according to the affidavit. Related Articles Moving on from QAnon? Experts say these tips could help Letters: Revise mask advice | Bumbling bureaucracy | Lottery limits...
    A Proud Boys member has been accused of leading the attack at the US Capitol after he was allegedly seen smashing a window that allowed the mob of rioters to storm the building.  Dominic Pezzola, 43, was indicted Friday alongside fellow Proud Boys member William Pepe, 31 on charges including conspiracy, civil disorder and unlawfully entering restricted buildings or grounds. Pezzola was also hit with additional charges including obstruction of an official proceeding, robbery of personal property of the United States, and assaulting, resisting or impeding officers, the Justice Department said.  The prosecution court filing, citing social media posts, said Pezzola was one of the first rioters to enter the Capitol by using a police shield to break a window and allowing the rest of the mob to enter the building.  'Pezzola was not the only person trying to break windows and forcibly enter the Capitol at that time, but...
    Two Pennsylvania women were arrested and charged Friday after they were allegedly seen in a video expressing their intent to 'shoot' House Speaker Nancy Pelosi during the Capitol riots.  Dawn Bancroft and Diana Santos-Smith are facing three counts of violent entry on Capitol grounds, remaining in a restricted area, and disorderly conduct in a restricted building, in the January 6 insurrection.  FBI officials identified the pair after receiving a tip on January 12 with a 'selfie video' allegedly taken by Bancroft that showed the two women trying to exit the Capitol, according to a criminal complaint filed Thursday.  Prosecutors say Bancroft, who was wearing a MAGA beanie, recorded herself alongside Santos-Smith saying: 'We broke into the Capitol…we got inside, we did our part.'  Dawn Bancrof (left in a MAGA beanie) recorded herself alongside Santos-Smith (in a MAGA cap) inside the Capitol saying they were 'looking for Nancy to shoot...
    Dawn Bancroft and Diana Santos-Smith “We were looking for Nancy to shoot her in the friggin’ brain but we didn’t find her.” Federal authorities are attributing those words to Dawn Bancroft, and they say she was talking about House Speaker Nancy Pelosi. Bancroft and Diana Santos-Smith are now facing charges over the Jan. 6 riot at the U.S. Capitol. A recurring element in the D.C. insurrection is what rioters claim they would have done if they came face to face with certain politicians. House Speaker Nancy Pelosi is frequently mentioned as a target, viz. the number of people who went out of their way to gallivant in her office, allegedly steal one of her laptops, and run off with a broken piece of her name plate. In an affidavit, authorities said they got a video allegedly filmed by Bancroft. From court documents: The video was a “selfie” video which depicted BANCROFT and...
    Weeks before the murderous mob of insurrectionists stormed the United States Capitol on January 6 to prevent Congress from certifying Joe Biden’s victory, a leader of the so-called Stop the Steal movement stood before a crowd of angry Donald Trump loyalists in California and called for the “execution” of those who had supposedly plotted against Trump. Afterward, he posted video of his demand for blood on YouTube.  On December 12, Trump supporters, ahead of the official counting of electoral votes, staged protests across the country, with the main demonstration in Washington leading to violence, as the Proud Boys rampaged through the district and clashed with Antifa activists. A smaller gathering occurred in Huntington Beach, California. One hundred or so Trump devotees, some waving Trump and “Fuck Biden” flags, assembled at the town’s picturesque pier. The man leading that protest was Alan Hostetter, a police-chief-turned-yoga-instructor who last year became a...
    At the end of a week of having past incendiary comments unearthed and calls for her removal from House committees or Congress, Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene issued a statement to what she called the "mob." "I will never back down. I will never give up," the Georgia Republican said in a statement on Friday. Greene said her reelection campaign has received $1.6 million in small donations from all 50 states "since launching your smear campaign attacks on me." It was revealed this week that her Facebook page "liked" a 2019 social media post saying that "a bullet to the head" would be a "quicker" way to remove House Speaker Nancy Pelosi from office. Another resurfaced video showed her confronting David Hogg, a student who survived the Parkland shooting, when he was advocating for gun reform on Capitol Hill. The end of the week resulted in...
    Sickening bodycam footage shows pro-Trump rioters trampling over a dying woman to beat cops with a crutch and a hockey stick as her friend called desperately for help. Rosanne Boyland, 34, from Georgia, was among four MAGA supporters who died as Trump loyalists violently swarmed the U.S. Capitol on January 6. The official cause and manner of her death are still pending, according to Washington's chief medical examiner, but the new footage obtained by DailyMail.com reveals how her friend desperately tried to save her during a brutal fight between rioters and officers. Her friend, Justin Winchell, is repeatedly heard crying her name and shouting 'she's dead', yet the Trump rioters continue to push over her to attack.  Scroll down for video  Justin Winchell is pictured here crying for help for his friend Rosanna Boyland Boyland is seen here lying on the ground on the bottom right as cops...
    Republican Sen. Josh Hawley of Missouri says he wasn't trying to overturn Joe Biden's electoral win when he voted not to count votes from two states that Biden carried over President Trump. Hawley has faced funding boycotts, calls for his resignation, the loss of a publishing contract, and public criticism for his role in the events leading up to the congressional counting of the electoral votes and the January 6 MAGA riot in the Capitol. He was pictured raising his fist to protesters that day before the violent storming of the Capitol that left six dead, including a Capitol police officer.  'I was very clear from the beginning that I was never attempting to overturn the election,' Hawley told CNN. He said he had no regrets about his moves.    'I was very clear from the beginning that I was never attempting to overturn the election,' said Missouri Republican Sen....
    White House Press Secretary Jen Psaki declined to comment Thursday about calls for “permanent fencing” surrounding the U.S. Capitol building. “I’m not sure we’re going to have any comment on that specifically, but I’m happy to talk to our national security, homeland security team if we have anything further to add,” Psaki said in response to a question about the proposed Capitol fencing during a press briefing. Acting Capitol Police Chief Yogananda Pittman on Thursday recommended “permanent fencing” be placed around the Capitol following the riots on Jan. 6, according to a United States Capitol Police statement. Pittman called for additional forces to be designated near the Capitol. (RELATED: Video Footage Shows Fencing And Guards Surrounding Capitol Ahead Of Biden’s Inauguration) Pittman ordered her staff to “conduct a physical security assessment of the entire Capitol Complex” when she took the position as acting Capitol Police chief on Jan. 8, according...
    MSNBC host Joe Scarborough blamed Facebook for spreading lies about everything from the pandemic to politics, calling the social media giant “a malignant force across the globe.” Scarborough devoted an entire segment of Friday’s “Morning Joe” to a rant calling for regulation that would break up Facebook’s monopoly and stop the dissemination of the type of disinformation that he said led to the Jan. 6 riot at the Capitol. (RELATED: ‘Beyond Grotesque’: Joe Scarborough Flames Fox News Over Newt Gingrich Claim That Democrats Want To ‘Exterminate’ Republicans) WATCH: Scarborough began by saying that Facebook’s algorithms were designed to cater to extreme views and to push people toward radicalization rather than away from it. Calling for Facebook to be regulated and broken apart, Scarborough continued, “Facebook is a monopoly. It controls over 50 percent of news gathering, and they are reckless as hell! There is no accountability! And they are...
    (CNN)Two Republicans from South Carolina have introduced a bill that would allow US Capitol Police officer Brian Sicknick, who was killed during the insurrection three weeks ago, to lie in honor at the Capitol before his burial at Arlington National Cemetery. Rep. Ralph Norman and Sen. Tim Scott introduced the legislation Thursday. If passed, a plaque would be placed in the Capitol in memory of Sicknick and would allow the House Sergeant at Arms to pay for Sicknick's funeral services. The union representing rank-and-file officers "welcome(s) the proposal," which would need to pass with unanimous consent. Sicknick died after being hit in the head with a fire extinguisher during the hours-long fight for control of the Capitol building. "Officer Sicknick died because he put the lives of Members of Congress and their staff before his own safety -- he did his duty," said Gus Papathanasiou, president of the union representing...
    On Jan. 6, insurrectionists attacked the U.S. Capitol and brought into sharp focus a threat those of us who have been monitoring right-wing extremists have understood for years. Some of the people who either attended the siege of the Capitol—or played cheerleader for it to their thousands of followers on social media—were the exact same dangerous extremists who harass and threaten patients and doctors daily at reproductive health centers, including some of the biggest stars of the “pro-life” movement. It was alarming, then, that on Jan. 29, just three weeks after the storming of the Capitol, another D.C. gathering of Trump-loving extremists, one that annually draws tens of thousands, was seemingly moving forward as planned. It’s called the March For Life. Since 1974, the March For Life has brought hundreds of thousands of people from all factions of the anti-abortion movement to Washington, D.C., for the nation’s largest anti-abortion rally....
    Liz Cheney, under attack by many of her Republican colleagues, could lose her leadership post. The Wyoming congresswoman knew she was defying the base of her party by voting for President Trump’s impeachment, and she is fighting back. Now comes a very different kind of battle in the House. Marjorie Taylor Greene, the newly elected Georgia congresswoman, is facing an intense backlash for incendiary Facebook posts before she entered politics. As first reported by CNN, Greene, an adherent of Q’Anon, liked a comment that said the fastest way to remove Nancy Pelosi was with a "bullet to the head." Greene also agreed that FBI agents should be executed as part of the "Deep State." What’s more, when Greene wrote about Barack Obama, Hillary Clinton and the Iran nuclear deal, a commenter said: "Now do we get to hang them?? Meaning H & O???" Greene replied: "Stage is being set. Players...
    Jacob Anthony Chansley, the so-called ‘QAnon Shaman.’ Al Watkins, a lawyer for accused Capitol rioter Jacob Chansley, is offering his client as a witness in the upcoming Senate impeachment trial of former President Donald Trump. Chansley is better known in popular culture as the “QAnon Shaman” or, as Watkins called him, the “guy with the horns and the fur” who was photographed raiding the U.S. Capitol Complex on Jan. 6. The Associated Press reported on Thursday that Watkins “said it’s important for senators to hear the voice of someone who was incited by Trump.” Chansley (a.k.a. Jake Angeli), 33, was “horrendously smitten” by Trump, Watkins told the AP. Now, however, the AP said Chansley feels “let down” because Trump refused to pardon his behavior. “He felt like he was betrayed by the president,” Watkins said. Al Watkins on the Law&Crime Network. Watkins’ tactic is not unlike that of a criminal defense attorney who...
    The acting U.S. Capitol Police chief suggested "permanent fencing" be installed around the perimeter of the Capitol building Thursday, to be better secure congressional lawmakers from another attack like the Jan. 6 breach. Yogananda Pittman, who stepped in to lead Capitol Police after Steven Sund resigned following criticism for his ill-prepared security measures, said in a statement that one of her first acts was to order a physical security assessment of the Capitol. DC NATIONAL GUARD DEPLOYMENT IN NATION'S CAPITAL EXTENDED THROUGH END OF MARCH "In light of recent events, I can unequivocally say that vast improvements to the physical security infrastructure must be made to include permanent fencing, and the availability of ready, back-up forces in close proximity to the Capitol," Pittman said. But D.C. Mayor Muriel Bowser has rejected the calls for additional security, likening the defenses of the Capitol to wooden boards that have been erected to protect...
    NANCY Pelosi claims "the enemy is within" Congress, days after it was revealed Marjorie Taylor Greene expressed support for executing Democratic politicians, including the House Speaker. Speaking to reporters on Thursday, the Pelosi suggested more money was needed to protect lawmakers from Republican members in the House of Representatives "who want to bring guns on the floor and have threatened violence on other members of Congress". 7 Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi holds weekly news conferences at the US CapitolCredit: Getty Images - Getty 7Marjorie Taylor Greene Credit: AP:Associated Press 7Security remains high in and around entrances to the U.S. Capitol in Washington, DC Credit: Rex Features "I do believe and I have said this all along we will probably need a supplemental for more security for members when the enemy is within the House of Representatives, a threat that members are concerned about in addition to what is happening outside," Pelosi...
    House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) referred to House members who carry guns for self-defense as the “enemy within” on Thursday. Breitbart’s Joe Pollak reported Pelosi’s statement, wherein she was given a chance to put forward her stance on House Members who want to be armed for self-defense. Pollak tweeted: .@SpeakerPelosi referred to certain members of Congress as the "enemy within." When asked what she meant she said there are members who want to carry guns (like @RepBoebert who carries legally). So if you exercise your 2nd Amendment rights after a deadly riot, you are an "enemy." — Joel Pollak (@joelpollak) January 28, 2021 Lauren Boebert (R-CO) is the co-chair of the House of Representative’s Second Amendment Caucus and has been outspoken about her commitment to carry a gun in D.C. In a December 23, 2020, exclusive interview with Breitbart News, Boebert said, “I am my security.” She added, “Washington, DC,...
    A Huntington Beach man accused of filming himself entering the U.S. Capitol during the Jan. 6 riot in Washington, D.C. was arrested by the FBI on Thursday and faces federal charges. Mark Simon has been charged with entering a restricted building or grounds and unlawful activities on Capitol grounds, according to a federal criminal complaint made public Thursday, Jan. 28. According to a statement by an FBI agent filed with the complaint, Simon took video of himself saying, “In the Capitol baby, yeah!” as well as “2021 Donald Trump!” as he allegedly joined others in pushing their way into the building. A detective from the Huntington Beach Police Department helped identify Simon, according to the FBI agent’s statement, describing him as a “known activist” in the city. More than 150 people across the country have been charged so far in connection to the siege of the Capitol by a mob...
    MIAMI (CBSMiami/AP) – A Florida commissioner will remain in office after telling a local Trump rally before the attack on the U.S. Capitol that Vice President Mike Pence “better do the right thing” or he’ll face pitchforks and torches for failing to overturn the presidential election. Casselberry Commissioner Mark Busch, who also serves as vice mayor, refused to quit despite a petition drive that drew more than 1,600 signatures seeking his resignation. The effort to oust him came to a head Monday during a commission meeting where more than a dozen citizens spoke. Some demanded that Busch resign while others spoke out in support, the Orlando Sentinel reported. “I clumsily walked into this situation,” said Busch, who had briefly apologized for his comments at an earlier meeting on Jan. 11 where a smaller group of citizens called for him to resign. He also said he would “continue to fight for...
    A man from New York has been charged over his alleged role in riots at the Capitol three weeks ago.  The FBI was tipped off that Christopher Ortiz, 27, from Huntington, Long Island, had been at the riot with several people coming forward with the information. Ortiz also posted to his Instagram story that appeared to show him entering the Capitol building alongside other protesters on January 6th.  Hundreds of supporters of Donald Trump stormed the building to disrupt the final, largely ceremonial act by the House and Senate to count electoral votes and declare Joe Biden the winner of the election. Five people died, including an officer for the Capitol Police.  27-year-old Christopher Ortiz is accused of participating in the U.S. Capitol riot on January 6th Christopher Ortiz, 27, speaks with the media after leaving Federal Court, in Central Islip, New York. He was arrested on Wednesday afternoon...
    (CNN)A group of Democratic House staffers are drafting what they hope will be a bipartisan message to the Senate about the upcoming impeachment trial, urging senators to take the trauma their aides experienced during the violent insurrection in the Capitol on January 6 seriously, a staffer tells CNN."We are staff who work for members of the U.S. House of Representatives, where it is our honor and privilege to serve our country and our fellow Americans. But on January 6th, 2021, our workplace was attacked by a violent mob trying to stop the Electoral College vote count," the draft of the letter reads.In an effort to make the letter appeal to Republican staffers as well, its drafters organized the signatures so staffers can sign on with just their email addresses, leaving off the offices of the members of Congress they work for.The letter squarely blames former President Donald Trump for inciting...
    Bradley Cortright January 27, 2021 0 Comments More than 5,000 National Guard troops are expected to remain in Washington, D.C., through mid-March due to concerns about future violent demonstrations. However, Sen. Tom Cotton (R-Ark.) argued in an op-ed published on Wednesday that President Joe Biden’s inauguration occurred without violent demonstrations that were feared, and now it is time for the thousands of National Guard troops who deployed to the city to go home. Cotton noted that over the summer, he called for federal troops to be deployed in U.S. cities to quell violent demonstrations in an op-ed published by The New York Times. His op-ed over the summer led to the resignation of the paper’s editor of its editorial page. “But when a different mob chanting different slogans threatened our Capitol, many of my critics sang a different tune,” Cotton said. He continued, “I’m ruefully gratified that so many of them have rallied to my side. Perhaps they’ll...
    More On: capitol riot Geophysicist who stormed Capitol claimed to be a ‘patriot warrior’: feds GOP lawmakers demand answers over National Guard presence in DC Trump impeachment judge Sen. Leahy returns to work after hospital scare Another DC cop commits suicide after Capitol riot An alleged Capitol rioter from Long Island bragged to a high school pal on Instagram that he’d “storm the Capitol for you any day” — leading to his arrest by the feds, authorities said Wednesday. Christopher Ortiz, 27, was tracked down in Huntington after at least two people who knew him contacted the FBI regarding videos he posted to Instagram during the Jan. 6 siege, an FBI agent wrote in an affidavit unsealed Wednesday. One of the informants shared an Instagram story by Ortiz with the investigators, which shows him yelling, “Onward! onward!” as the mob of Donald Trump supporters break into the...
    Former White House chief of staff Mark Meadows is struggling to find a new job, according to a report. The 61-year-old has applied for a job in the Trump Organization because he's out of options, sources told Politico.  For former staffers looking to new horizons, the issue was brought into stark focus by the deadly on the Capitol. Trump's press secretary Kayleigh McEnany, who was given her big break by Meadows, was due to be working at Fox News but that job offer was put on ice. One former staffer said they knew of 'people who got jobs rescinded because of January 6.' Another Republican strategist put it more bluntly: 'They are really f***ed.' Former White House chief of staff Mark Meadows is struggling to find a new job, according to a report. He's now looking to the Trump Organization to bail him out, sources claim (pictured in Washington...
    Donald Trump speaking at the "Stop the Steal" rally on Jan. 6, just before a murderous mob of his supporters stormed the Capitol. Fully 81% of Republican voters still get warm fuzzies when they think of Donald Trump, with 54% feeling "strongly" about their adoration, according to a newly released Politico/Morning Consult survey taken Jan. 23-25. That whole attack Trump orchestrated on the homeland—whatevs. In fact, positive views of Trump have bounced back a handful of points since the outlet's Jan. 10-12 survey taken shortly after the riot. The survey also found that 75% of GOP voters disapprove of the Senate following through with an impeachment trial for Trump, with just 18% backing it. So if you're wondering why 45 Senate Republicans just voiced their opposition to putting Trump on trial for his role in inciting the Capitol siege, it's because none of them have the faintest idea how to win elections...
    The attorney for a Texas man charged with participating in the Capitol riot and threatening to 'assassinate' Congresswoman Alexandria Ocasio Cortez has claimed that he needs to 'deprogram' his client from 'cult leader' Trump. Garret Miller, 34, was arrested on Friday after storming the Capitol and posting violent threats on social media, the FBI revealed. Yet his attorney Clint Broden argued on Cuomo Prime Time on CNN on Tuesday night that Miller had never previously been interested in politics until he was manipulated by former President Trump because he was 'vulnerable'. He says that Trump's ban from social media will now help Miller escape and recover.   'I have referred to him as a cult leader,' Broden told Cuomo of Trump. 'Donald Trump was a cult leader. You have somebody like Garrett Miller, who is not very politically involved, hadn't even voted much earlier in life, loses his job and gets focused...
    Josh Hawley has confirmed he will not run for President in 2024 as he slammed people trying to cancel him for challenging the election results. The Republican was one of Donald Trump's staunchest allies in the senate but has faced a backlash since he raised a fist in solidarity with protesters storming the Capitol, with critics accusing him of  encouraging the violence. Just one day after the riot which left five dead, publishing house Simon & Schuster ended its contract with Hawley to publish his forthcoming book and he lost key donations. Speaking on Fox News on Tuesday, a day after penning an Op-Ed for the New York Post about perceived attempts to 'muzzle' him by corporate America, the 41-year-old complained again that he was being silenced by the 'woke mob'. Host Maria Bartiromo even said his treatment 'feels like Communist China' after a number of Democrats sought to expel him...
    Acting chief of the Capitol Police, Yogananda Pittman, issued an apologetic statement on Tuesday over the failure to secure the U.S. Capitol from the pro-Donald Trump mob of insurrectionists who stormed the building earlier this month. Pittman was appointed to lead the Capitol Police after Chief Steven Sund resigned amid mass public scrutiny for allowing the rioters to infiltrate. In a closed-door briefing with the House Appropriations Committee on Tuesday, Pittman pronounced the riot a “terrorist attack” and lamented that the Department should’ve prepared more for the “strong potential for violence” that happened that day. “I am here to offer my sincerest apologies on behalf of the Department,” Pittman said. “By January 4th, the Department knew that the January 6th event would not be like any of the previous protests held in 2020. We knew that militia groups and white supremacists organizations would be attending. We also knew...
    Acting Capitol Police Chief Yogananda D Pittman (pictured) apologized to Congress for stunning security failures during the January 6 MAGA riots on Tuesday The head of the Capitol Police apologized to Congress for stunning security failures during the MAGA riots on January 6 and acknowledged that the agency had been forewarned of a 'strong potential for violence' but failed to take adequate steps to prevent it.   Acting Chief Yogananda D Pittman made the extraordinary admissions in a statement before the House Appropriations Committee on Tuesday, nearly three weeks after a mob of President Donald Trump's supporters stormed the Capitol in a bid to block the certification of Joe Biden's election victory.   'On January 6th, in the face of a terrorist attack by tens of thousands of insurrectionists determined to stop the certification of Electoral College votes, the Department failed to meet its own high standards as well as yours,'...
    A Kentucky man arrested by the FBI on Monday and charged for his role in the pro-Trump riot on the U.S. Capitol on January 6 once won fourth place in a 'sexy farmer' contest. Jordan T. Revlett, 23, of Island, was arrested in Owensboro on charges of unlawful entry on restricted grounds and violent entry or disorderly conduct on Capitol grounds. He was caught by FBI agents after sharing video and pictures to his Snapchat account from the carnage and being seen on surveillance footage entering the Capitol via a west terrace door. The FBI received screenshots and a 42-second video from a tipster on January 7 that showed Revlett's posts from the chaos inside the riot, which resulted in the deaths of five people including a Capitol police officer.  Jordan T. Revlett, 23, was arrested in Owensboro on charges of unlawful entry on restricted grounds and violent entry...
    Bradley Cortright January 26, 2021 0 Comments The acting head of the Capitol Police is apologizing for the department’s failure to adequately prepare for protests on January 6, where rioters stormed the U.S. Capitol. In a statement, Acting Capitol Police Chief Yogananda D. Pittman said the department “failed to meet its own high standards” in preparing to secure the Capitol ahead of the riot and as people stormed the building. While she noted the riot did not stop Congress from certifying the Electoral College vote count, she said the department’s “inability to immediately secure the U.S. Capitol emboldened insurrectionists and horrified millions of Amerian[s].” “I am here to offer my sincerest apologies on behalf of the department,” she said. Pittman said the department knew by January 4 that militia groups and “white supremacist organizations” planned to attend a protest of the certification, and it planned “to meet these challenges.”...
    A Hawaii Republican Party official has turned in his resignation after appearing to defend the QAnon conspiracy theory on Twitter using the party’s account. Edwin Boyette, the vice chairman of communications for the state party, announced he was stepping down in a Sunday post on Facebook. He asked the GOP to accept his resignation “for the good of the party” and said he would be taking a break from social media. “Discussion of some topics is ill suited to the forums of social media, and regardless of intent — only serves to increase conflict and discord,” Boyette said. “The discussion of the Q-Conspiracy was an error of judgement, and should not reflect upon the leadership or the members of the Republican Party of Hawaii. The responsibility for that discussion and that error is mine and and mine alone.” Boyette was apparently behind the since-deleted Saturday...
    Nearly 140 police officers were assaulted when a violent pro-Trump mob stormed the US Capitol on January 6 in an attempt to stop Congress certifying the results of the 2020 election, officials have revealed. In a court filing Monday, the US Department of Justice said that 81 officers from the US Capitol Police and 58 members of the Washington Metropolitan Police Department were assaulted during the insurrection, a total of 139. This is the first time officials have offered an exact count of the number of law enforcement injured in the attack. In total five people were killed in the riots, including Capitol Police Officer Brian D. Sicknick, who was bludgeoned with a fire extinguisher and later died from his injuries. A suspect has not yet been identified in his death. The filing comes as it was confirmed that more than three dozen Capitol cops have also tested positive for...
    Megyn Kelly said CNN and other media outlets are partly responsible for the violence that broke out in the Capitol on Jan. 6 because journalists couldn't check their "personal feelings about” former President Donald Trump. “Part of the reason we saw what happened at the Capitol here two weeks ago is because there had been a complete lack of trust in the media, and people don’t know where to turn for true information. They don’t trust the media anymore. And it’s a major problem,” Kelly said in an interview with BBC Newsnight Saturday. “They hated him so much they checked their objectivity. And it wasn’t just CNN. All of them did. They just couldn’t check their own personal feelings about him,” Kelly said. She added that “the media destroyed itself” but that Trump “certainly helped.” Kelly, who worked at Fox News during the 2016 election cycle, said she first...
    A Texas man was arrested in Washington, D.C., on Friday after law enforcement said they found an unlicensed handgun and ammunition in his truck when he asked a uniformed officer for "information" on the White House. Macias Santiago flagged down a Capitol Police officer and "stated he needed information about the Oval Office," according to court documents obtained by Fox News. The 37-year-old admitted to having a firearm in the car after the officer spotted a holster in his pickup truck, and a subsequent search revealed a Smith and Wesson .40 handgun, two loaded eight-round magazines, and nearly 80 rounds of loose ammunition — none of which was registered to Santiago, the charging document alleged. Anyone in possession of guns or ammunition in the Washington area is required by law to register their weapons with law enforcement. The locality also strictly prohibits assault-style weapons and magazines that hold more...
    Here we go again. House Speaker Nancy Pelosi slowly and somberly walking an article of impeachment through the Capitol flanked by House managers giving their best impression of a funeral procession. Except this time, they’re wearing Covid masks.   Let’s call it "Impeachment: The Sequel." It is destined to be as pitiable as the original. Like a cheap movie franchise that Hollywood keeps exploiting, this sham version will be the equivalent of a box office dud.  Mugging for the cameras, Pelosi will probably mutter something about "making history," as she did before.  Maybe she’ll again pass out souvenir signing pens like lollipops at a town carnival.  It’s an insult to charades.  Pelosi seeks retaliation masquerading as impeachment.   The first impeachment trial in the Senate a year ago was a baseless fiasco that ended in the easy acquittal of President Trump. Democrats did not come close to mustering the two-thirds majority votes required for conviction and removal...
    A teenager who alerted the FBI to his dad's alleged role in the Capitol riots has said he felt guilty for speaking with the authorities - but would 'do it all again'.  Jackson Reffitt, 18, told Fox4: 'I got in contact with the FBI after the Capitol riots about my dad. It was my moral compass, kind of, to do what I thought would protect not only my family, but my dad himself.'  His father, Guy Reffitt, 48, was arrested Friday at his home in Wylie, Texas, according to court records.  He is charged with obstruction of justice and unlawful entry. According to an affidavit, the 48-year-old was recorded on video outside the Capitol during the January 6 riot and later threatened his wife and children if they turned him in.  According to local news, Reffitt's wife told officials that he was arguing about the incident with his son and daughter when he...
    Riots at the US Capitol Building. Michael Nigro/Pacific Press:LightRocket/Getty The US Capitol attack that occurred on January 6, resulted in calls for rioters to be placed on the federal no-fly list.  Democratic Majority Leader Chuck Schumer called for the rioters to be placed on the list and the FBI said they were "actively looking" into doing so prior to President Joe Biden's inauguration.  An aviation expert told Insider that if the rioters are considered a national threat, it shouldn't be "controversial" to say they deserved a place on the confidential federal no-fly list.  Visit Insider's homepage for more stories. After violence and chaos ensued at the US Capitol building in Washington DC earlier this month lawmakers have called for those involved to be added to the federal no-fly list.  On January 6, rioters barged into the US Capitol building wearing clothing associated with white supremacy and waving...
    Megyn Kelly says media outlets like CNN are partially to blame for the harrowing Capitol riot earlier this month because they 'checked their objectivity' when covering Donald Trump and the public 'lost trust' in their coverage.  The former Fox News show host blamed the media for sharing biased reporting on Trump, claiming it led to a loss of trust in news giants like CNN.   'They hated him so much, they checked their objectivity, and it wasn’t just CNN, all of them did. They just couldn’t check their own personal feelings about him,' Kelly said in an interview with BBC Newsnight Saturday. 'The media destroyed itself, but Trump certainly helped. He sort of set a trap that walked right into and it worked really well,' she said.  Megyn Kelly says media outlets like CNN are partially to blame for the January 6 Capitol riot because they failed to cover Donald...
    More On: capitol riot New Jersey gym owner charged in Capitol riot Kevin McCarthy: ‘Everybody’ in US ‘has some responsibility’ for Capitol riot Jill Biden visits National Guard troops, thanks them with cookies ‘Zip-tie guy’ at Capitol Riot had arsenal of weapons, including sniper rifle: feds A Democratic congressman from New Jersey is leading the charge to double the punishment for convicted insurrectionists in the wake of the Capitol Hill riots. “What happened on Jan. 6 at the Capitol — while members like myself were told to duck under chairs in the House Gallery as a violent mob broke down the doors of the House Chambers — was a violent extremist attack on our democracy,” Rep. Josh Gottheimer said Friday as he introduced the Stopping Domestic Terrorists Act. “We can never let that happen again.” Gottheimer’s bill would double the maximum prison term for the crime of insurrection from...
    Michael Brochstein/ZUMA Let our journalists help you make sense of the noise: Subscribe to the Mother Jones Daily newsletter and get a recap of news that matters.Kevin McCarthy’s shifting views over who’s to blame for the pro-Trump insurrection at the Capitol has landed at its inevitable, meaningless point: “Everybody across this country has some responsibility.” That’s what the House minority leader offered to Greta Van Susteren after she questioned, according to HuffPost in an interview set to air on Sunday, whether he had contradicted himself on Thursday by asserting that Donald Trump had not provoked the Jan. 6 riot. The remark appeared to reverse McCarthy’s statements immediately following the Jan. 6 attack that Trump was at least partly to blame for the violence. “No, I have not changed on that,” McCarthy told Van Susteren. Instead, he insisted that all Americans, which presumably includes Trump, share responsibility—a bold claim that carried strong...
    Prince Harry attends the launch of Team UK for the Invictus Games on October 29, 2019 in London, England. Max Mumby/Indigo/Getty Images Prince Harry blamed social media for the Capitol riots, which he described as "violent extremism." Harry said social media companies should be held accountable after rioters used them to organize the attack. The duke also blamed the media for creating a "false narrative" about Meghan Markle. Visit Insider's homepage for more stories. Prince Harry opened up about the harmful effects of social media in a rare candid interview.  Speaking to Fast Company, the Duke of Sussex blamed social media platforms for allowing "violent extremism." He shared details of the online abuse he and his wife, Meghan Markle, have been subjected to in recent years. Read more: Meghan Markle and Prince Harry broke a world record when they launched their Instagram account. Now, the couple has...
    Al Watkins, the St. Louis attorney for so-called “QAnon Shaman” Jacob Chansley, 33, is at least partially blaming former President Donald Trump for a deadly siege on the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6. Speaking of his client, Watkins told St. Louis television station KSDK on Thursday that Chansley “regrets very, very much having not just been duped by the president, but by being in a position where he allowed that duping to put him in a position to make decisions he should not have made.” He referred to Chansley as “the guy with the horns and the fur, the meditation and organic food.” The comment about food was a reference to Chansley’s alleged hunger strike on account of being fed only non-organic food behind bars. He said “months of lies” and “misrepresentations and horrific innuendo and hyperbolic speech” by Trump were “designed to inflame, enrage,” and “motivate” the mob...
    Prince Harry claims he and Meghan were subjected to the 'mothership of harassment' and blames social media for the MAGA riot at the Capitol and the 'destruction of the Amazon' in a new interview.  Harry was interviewed by Fast Company for an article published on Friday which is in a lengthy Q&A format.  It's unclear when or how the internet took place but he gives long, intense answers where he talks about the 'guiding principle' of his life (the duty to truth and alleviation of suffering) and 'the current consequences of the digital space'.   He says social media has become the root of violence and confusion because it plays host to so much disinformation. He and Meghan are now raking in millions through deals with Netflix, Spotify and through business ventures, which they would not have been able to do without quitting royal life.  Sources close to the pair say...
    A Texas real estate broker facing federal charges for storming the US Capitol has been booted off PayPal after she asked her supporters to send money via the online payment system to help cover her legal fees.   Jennifer 'Jenna' Ryan, 50, of Frisco, is facing charges of knowingly entering a restricted building and disorderly conduct after she flew on a private jet to Washington DC ahead of the siege on January 6.   Despite flying in style, it appears Ryan does not have cash to splash on court costs, and turned to PayPal on Thursday to help raise funds.  'I am accepting donations to pay legal fees and losses due to my arrest and charges by the FBI for protesting at the US Capitol. Thank you for your support. Any amount helps,' Ryan tweeted along with a link to her PayPal account.  'I have to go to trial in Washington DC for this...
    Michael Moore thinks former President Donald Trump is headed to prison. The liberal firebrand filmmaker posted a celebratory tweet to mark Trump's exit from the White House on Wednesday. 'He has just left the White House for good,' the acclaimed producer of hit films like Roger & Me and Bowling for Columbine tweeted on Thursday. 'We the people have evicted him. I will go ahead & cancel the U-Haul.' Moore added: 'He now flies over the wreckage he has created, knowing we are not done with him. 'Trial. Conviction. Imprisonment. 'He must pay for his actions - a first-ever for him.' Michael Moore (left), the liberal filmmaker behind such hits as Roger & Me and Bowling for Columbine, thinks former President Donald Trump (right) is headed to prison 'We the people have evicted him. I will go ahead & cancel the U-Haul,' Moore tweeted. 'He now flies...
    The Texas real estate broker facing federal charges for storming the US Capitol is begging for donations to help cover her legal fees - after she bragged about traveling to Washington, DC, on a private jet.  Jennifer 'Jenna' Ryan, 50, of Frisco, turned herself into authorities last week for her role in the January 6 Capitol siege that left five people dead.   She was released from custody hours later and returned home, where she demanded that President Donald Trump pardon her from charges of knowingly entering a restricted building and disorderly conduct.  But the demand went unanswered as Trump left office without adding Ryan to his long list of last minute pardons - so now she's looking to fellow MAGA fans for help.  'I am accepting donations to pay legal fees and losses due to my arrest and charges by the FBI for protesting at the US Capitol. Thank you for your support....
    The Army general brother of former national security adviser Michael Flynn was involved in the Capitol riot response, even though the Army denied it for days, according to a new report.   Officials previously denied that Lt. Gen. Charles Flynn, the deputy chief of staff for operations for the US Army, was on the contentious January 6 call between the Pentagon, Capitol Police, and DC officials about deploying troops to help in the riot.  Charles Flynn told the Washington Post on Wednesday that he in fact had been on the call. '[I] entered the room after the call began and departed prior to the call ending as I believed a decision was imminent,' Flynn said.  The Army has not clarified why they falsely said for days that Flynn was not involved, but it is likely due to his brother Michael Flynn's support for Donald Trump.  In the days leading up to Inauguration...
    A Christian Orthodox priest in Ohio has been suspended from his duties for three months for attending the 'Save America' rally just before dozens of rioters stormed the Capitol on January 6.  According to the website of the Orthodox Church in America’s Diocese of the Midwest, archpriest Mark Hodges was 'suspended from all priestly functions'. The suspension for Hodges, who is affiliated with St Paul the Apostle Orthodox Church in Greene County’s Sugarcreek Twp, Ohio, took effect on January 12.  Orthodox archpriest, Mark Hodges (left, and right at the 'Save America' rally), has been suspended from his duties for three months for attending the rally just before dozens of rioters stormed the Capitol on January 6 His suspension came after it was revealed that he had attended the rally to 'stop the steal' of the election and prevent Joe Biden from becoming the 46th president of the US. ...
    Republican South Carolina Sen. Lindsey Graham said Thursday that if he were Republican Colorado Rep. Lauren Boebert, he would sue Democratic Tennessee Rep. Steve Cohen for “slander” over his accusations that she may have been giving tours of the U.S. Capitol building to people involved in the riot that took place on Jan. 6. Graham appeared on Fox News’ “America Reports” with hosts Sandra Smith and John Roberts, who brought up the accusations leveled against Boebert before playing two separate video clips showing Cohen making the accusations and Boebert defending herself. (RELATED: ‘What The Hell?’: Tucker Carlson Responds To Democratic Rep’s ‘Grotesque’ Comments On Racial, Gender Makeup Of National Guard) “We saw Congressman Boebert taking a group of people for a tour,” Cohen said in the first video. “Now whether they were people involved in the insurrection or not, I do not know.” “These claims are just ridiculous. It’s...
      William McCall Calhoun Jr., a Georgia attorney proud of his involvement in the Jan. 6 siege of the U.S. Capitol Complex, was denied bail in thundering terms by a federal court on Thursday after the judge determined he was a threat to the community. “He has been corrupted by, or seduced, by a dangerous and violent ideology that considers the United States to be in a state of civil war, that considers everyone who voted for a Democrat to be worthy of execution, that considers every government official and agent to be part of a ‘deep state’ who need to be opposed by so-called patriots,” U.S. Magistrate Judge Charles H. Weigle intoned near the end of Calhoun’s bail hearing after denying the defense request for home confinement and GPS monitoring in lieu of pre-trial detention. “The language used in those posts is extremely violent,” the judge added–referring to...
    Republicans want to move along and forget that whole thing where a mob of Trump supporters attacked the U.S. Capitol, threatening the lives of lawmakers and killing one police officer and wounding others. Donald Trump isn’t in office anymore, the senators who would have to vote in his impeachment trial say, so there’s nothing to talk about anymore. We should move on from the 15 police officers hospitalized and more than 100 injured as Trump-supporting domestic terrorists beat them with fire extinguishers and American flags and fists and whatever else was available, shot bear spray at them, massed in the hundreds if not thousands to force their way through doors and beat down windows, and in one case Tasered an officer in the neck until he had a heart attack. Rep. John Katko, the top Republican on the House Homeland Security Committee and one of the 10 House Republicans who voted for impeachment, said after classified...
    Peter Heneen, 29, is facing a charge for written threats to kill, do bodily injury, or conduct a mass shooting or an act of terrorism, Polk County Sheriff's Office said A Trump-supporting Florida sheriff's deputy who threatened to kill federal officers and called for 'the streets of D.C. to run reed with the blood of the tyrants has been arrested, the Sheriff's office announced on Wednesday. Peter Heneen, 29, is facing charges for written threats to kill, do bodily injury, conduct a mass shooting or an act of terrorism, Polk County Sheriff's Office said. He has been accused of sending 'threatening' text messages to a colleague on the night of January 6 in the hours after the riots and violence at the U.S. Capitol. 'Need to make the streets of D.C. run red with the blood of the tyrants,' Heneen said of members of Congress, according to Sheriff Grady Judd....
          Welcome to The Hill’s Morning Report. It is Thursday, the start of a new administration and Congress! We get you up to speed on the most important developments in politics and policy, plus trends to watch. Alexis Simendinger and Al Weaver are the co-creators. Readers can find us on Twitter @asimendinger and @alweaver22. Please recommend the Morning Report to friends and let us know what you think. CLICK HERE to subscribe! Total U.S. coronavirus deaths reported each morning this week: Monday, 397,600; Tuesday, 399,003; Wednesday, 401,730; Thursday, 406,162. A masked President Biden got to work on Wednesday afternoon with his presidential pen and a stack of executive actions just hours after asking Americans to “end this uncivil war” in what he called “a broken land.”    The 46th president — backed by history-making Vice President Harris, who administered oaths of office on Wednesday to Democratic...
    In the weeks ahead of the Jan. 6 attack on the Capitol, Sam Andrews had a message for the right. “Contact your friends with rifles,” he said in a mid-December appearance on a right-wing podcast. “And tell them to join you. That's who you contact. And then you get a map and you drive to D.C.” But since rioters stormed the Capitol, leaving five people dead in the melee, Andrews has changed his tune. “I have rescinded the idea that patriots should go to D.C. in protest,” he told The Daily Beast on Wednesday. “Americans going armed to D.C. to protest would be a lot like standing in a field with your best friend over a cowpatty and stabbing each other for who gets to keep the cowpatty.” “It’s a lot of bloodshed for a little shit,” he added. Andrews was outside the Capitol on Jan. 6, but says...
    PRESIDENT Joe Biden said that his predecessor Donald Trump wrote him a "very generous" letter and that he will speak to the former president. Biden spoke to reporters at the White House about the letter after reports that Trump left the note for him before departing for the final time as president. Read our Inauguration Day 2021 live blog for the very latest news and updates on Joe Biden's swearing-in and Donald Trump's exit... 4Trump reportedly left a letter for BidenCredit: AFP or licensors "The president wrote a very generous letter," Biden said. “Because it was private, I won’t talk about it until I talk to him. But it was generous.” However, Trump in a speech at Joint Saint Andrews in Maryland on Wednesday did not mention Biden by name. "I think they'll have great success, they have the foundation to do so," Trump told the crowd. Despite giving...
    WASHINGTON (AP) — The Latest on Joe Biden’s presidential inauguration (all times local): 3:50 p.m. President Joe Biden has entered the White House for the first time as chief executive after walking an abbreviated parade route, still wearing his protective mask amid sounds of “Hail to the Chief.” The 46th president and first lady Jill Biden walked through a military cordon lining the White House driveway with the flags of U.S. states, leading the first couple to the main entrance under the North Portico on Wednesday. Biden was expected to immediately begin working, with a stack of executive orders on immigration and other matters awaiting his signature. The final ceremonial flourish completed an abbreviated inaugural afternoon unlike any Washington has seen, with Biden being seen in person by only a relative smattering of Americans given security lockdowns after the Jan. 6 Capitol attack and public health protocols amid the ongoing...
    January 20, 2021 1:40 PM | With information from EFE 15 minutes. Former Republican candidate for the Florida Legislature (USA) Gabriel García, who is a member of the far-right group Proud Boys, was arrested on Tuesday and accused of participating in the assault on the Capitol that occurred on January 6. “We broke into the Capitol, things are about to get ugly,” Garcia said in a video about the shot that he himself posted on social media. García, 40, a former member of the US Army, was arrested on Tuesday, according to the Miami Herald newspaper, which had access to the judicial file. He explained that the Latino had his first day in court on Tuesday in which he faces charges related to the assault on the Capitol. Proud boys Garcia, who unsuccessfully participated in the primary elections for Florida’s 116th District, was crying out for the release of “Enrique.”...
    WASHINGTON (AP) — The Latest on Joe Biden’s presidential inauguration (all times local): 12:45 p.m. The official swearing-in ceremony for President Joe Biden have concluded, but more events are planned throughout the day. Biden and first lady Jill Biden departed the platform at the U.S. Capitol following a ceremony that included Biden taking the oath Wednesday as the 46th president of the United States. Vice President Kamala Harris also took her oath of office, becoming the nation’s first female vice president. The day included musical performances from Lady Gaga, Jennifer Lopez and Garth Brooks. Celebrated poet Amanda Gorman read a piece noting that, “while democracy can be permanently delayed, it can never be permanently denied.” Following his departure from the platform, Biden was expected to sign paperwork in the President’s Room within the U.S. Capitol. Afterward, he reviews troops outside the Capitol before departing and traveling to Arlington National Cemetery...
    Biden and Harris arrived at Congress escorted by police cars in two black vehicles and accompanied by their husbands, Jill and Doug, respectively. | 01/20/2021 | ionicons-v5-c10: 21 | . | Washington.- The president-elect of the United States, Joe biden, and the vice president-elect, Kamala harris, arrived at the Capitol for his inauguration that will begin in an hour and will unfold in a city turned into a fortress with dozens of fences and 25,000 members of the National Guard. Biden and Harris arrived at Congress escorted by police cars in two black vehicles, accompanied by their husbands, Jill and Doug, respectively. The four of them stopped for a moment to speak with some congressmen, like the senator for Minnesota Amy Klobuchar, and they climbed the steps of the Capitol together to greet those present from the top. BOMB THREAT IN THE SUPREME COURT Around the same time, a...
    Former Republican candidate for the Florida Legislature (USA) Gabriel García, who is a member of the far-right group Proud Boys, was arrested on Tuesday and accused of participating in the assault on the Capitol that occurred on January 6. “We broke into the Capitol, things are about to get ugly,” Garcia said in a video about the shot that he himself posted on social media. García, 40, a former member of the US Army, was arrested on Tuesday, according to the Miami Herald newspaper, which had access to the judicial file. He explained that the Latino had his first day in court on Tuesday in which he faces charges related to his participation in the disorders and the violent entry to the Capitol that led supporters of President Donald Trump. García, who participated unsuccessfully in the primary elections for Florida’s 116th District, was crying out, as seen...
    WASHINGTON (AP) — The Latest on Joe Biden’s presidential inauguration (all times local): 10:35 a.m. President-elect Joe Biden has arrived at the U.S. Capitol ahead of his inauguration as the United States’ 46th president. Biden and his wife, Jill, arrived at the complex on Wednesday morning, about 90 minutes before his noon swearing-in ceremony. They were accompanied by Vice President-elect Kamala Harris and her husband, Douglas Emhoff, and were greeted by U.S. Sen. Amy Klobuchar of Minnesota. The president-elect’s motorcade wound its way through a mostly deserted Washington following a morning church service at the Cathedral of St. Matthew the Apostle. Streets that would typically be lined with thousands of inaugural onlookers were ringed instead with a massive security presence to include military vehicles and armed troops. About 25,000 National Guard members have been dispatched to Washington following the violent melee at the U.S. Capitol two weeks ago. Biden paused...
    WASHINGTON (AP) — The Latest on Joe Biden’s presidential inauguration (all times local): 10:35 a.m. President-elect Joe Biden has arrived at the U.S. Capitol ahead of his inauguration as the United States’ 46th president. Biden and his wife, Jill, arrived at the complex on Wednesday morning, about 90 minutes before his noon swearing-in ceremony. They were accompanied by Vice President-elect Kamala Harris and her husband, Douglas Emhoff, and were greeted by U.S. Sen. Amy Klobuchar of Minnesota. The president-elect’s motorcade wound its way through a mostly deserted Washington following a morning church service at the Cathedral of St. Matthew the Apostle. Streets that would typically be lined with thousands of inaugural onlookers were ringed instead with a massive security presence to include military vehicles and armed troops. About 25,000 National Guard members have been dispatched to Washington following the violent melee at the U.S. Capitol two weeks ago. Biden paused...
    Speaker Nancy Pelosi said President Donald Trump could be an accessory to murder for his role in inciting the MAGA mob that rioted on Capitol Hill and resulted in five deaths, including a U.S. Capitol Police officer.  '[The] President's words are important, they weigh a ton. And if you're Donald Trump talking to these people, they believe it and they used his words to come here. When we talk about 'did any of our colleagues collaborate?' Well, that remains to be seen. We have to get the evidence of that. And if they did, they would be accessory to the crime. And the crime, in some cases, was murder,' she told MSNBC's on Tuesday night.  Pelosi led an impeachment vote against Trump one week after the attack on the Capitol, which resulted in him becoming the only president to be impeached for a second time. The House of Representatives charged...
    (CNN)The US Capitol in Washington, DC, and state capitols across the country are under tight security on Wednesday as President-elect Joe Biden prepares to be inaugurated.After a pro-Trump mob attacked the US Capitol two weeks ago, the FBI warned of possible armed protests at the Capitol and all 50 state capitols in the days leading up to and including inauguration.The warning has led to a massive security presence in DC. About 25,000 National Guard members are present and much of the area around the National Mall and Capitol are inaccessible to the public. States, too, have bolstered their defenses by setting up fences and barriers, boarding up windows, and calling in the National Guard.Armed demonstrators gather at Virginia state Capitol as states stay tight on security ahead of inaugurationSo far, the large security efforts have dwarfed the protests that materialized. But the tensions remain high.On Sunday, small gatherings of protesters,...
    Trump will reportedly not grant pardons to any Republican lawmakers involved in the "Stop the Steal" rally that preceded the deadly Capitol insurrection.  Many of the president's advisors urged him not to grant pardons to lawmakers in order to avoid angering Senate Republicans ahead of his impending impeachment trial. Though he agreed with his advisors, Trump was reportedly "disappointed" by the outcome. Visit Insider's homepage for more stories. With only hours left of his presidency, President Donald Trump has decided not to grant preemptive pardons to Republican lawmakers who asked for them after the Capitol insurrection, a new CNN report said. According to the Arizona Mirror, Reps. Andy Biggs and Paul Gosar sought preemptive pardons from Trump. Both Biggs and Gosar, along with Alabama Republican Rep. Mo Brooks, have been accused of helping protesters plan the Jan. 6 "Stop the Steal" rally that preceded the deadly Capitol insurrection. ...
    Rudy Giuliani said Tuesday that blame over the violent US Capitol riots should, at least in part, be attributed to former Attorney General William Barr – and not Donald Trump. The former New York City Mayor made the comments in response to an assertion made by Barr on Monday in which he said Trump ‘precipitated’ the deadly unrest in Washington DC on January 6. ‘It was treacherous, what [Barr] just did,’ Giuliani said to former White House adviser Steve Bannon, on his podcast, War Room Pandemic. ‘He has no basis for it. He was gone, in the sense of being able to investigate any of the facts.’ ‘The real cause of the violence, I think, if you want something other than antifa, is Bill Barr not investigating [election fraud],’ Giuliani added. ‘If the people are angry, they are angry that these crimes have gone unredressed, and we’ve gone two years...
    Former Florida Republican candidate Gabriel Garcia, who is a member of the far-right Proud Boys group, was arrested this tuesday and accused of participating in the assault on the Capitol carried out by supporters of Donald Trump on January 6. “We broke into the Capitol, things are about to get ugly”, García said in a video about the shot that he himself published on social networks. García, 40 years old and former member of the Army from the United States, was arrested on Tuesday, according to the newspaper Miami Herald, who had access to the judicial file. The newspaper detailed that the Latino had his first day in court on Tuesday in which he faces charges related to his participation in the disorders and the violent entry to the Capitol that led supporters of the outgoing president. García, who participated unsuccessfully in the Florida Congressional primary elections for the 116th...
    Fox News host Sean Hannity turned on GOP Senate majority leader Mitch McConnell on Tuesday night for saying President Donald Trump provoked the violent riots on the Capitol building two weeks ago. Hannity's message was aimed squarely at to 'soon-to-be Minority Leader' McConnell and other 'establishment Republicans' for trying to take the GOP and move on from Trump. 'Establishment Republicans have no backbone, no principle, no courage, no vision. Too many politicians in D.C. are just far too willing to go along, get along, and protect the swamp and that is why conservatives like myself are tired of these empty promises and your rehearsed speeches and had never getting anything done.'  Fox News host Sean Hannity criticized Senate majority leader Mitch McConnell on Tuesday night for saying President Trump incited the U.S. Capitol riots Hannity accused establishment Republicans of having no backbone, courage or vision Hannity said that...
    Turn Your $50K Salary Into A $1M Retirement Fund Porsche Taycan Now Under $80,000 These $19k SUVs Will Make You Trade in Your Car Ad Microsoft The Highest Paying Cash Back Card Has Hit The Market Ad Microsoft Full screen 1/12 SLIDES © Provided by Best Life The Most Jarring Photos of D.C. Preparing for the Inauguration With President-elect Joe Biden's inauguration on Jan. 20 just hours away, Washington, D.C. is preparing to be inundated by crowds of enthusiastic supporters—and many eager to publicly voice their opposition to Biden assuming office. Following the events of Jan. 6, when a mob of Donald Trump supporters stormed the U.S. Capitol, resulting in the deaths of four civilians and one police officer, the...
    NEW YORK (WABC) -- As we get closer to Inauguration Day, Eyewitness News will have a special election edition of "The Countdown" to get you caught up with all of the day's political and campaign news.You can watch it online, on the ABC7NY app or on our Connected TV apps for Fire, Roku, Apple TV and Android TV. Click here to learn more.Tuesday, Jan. 19Trump releases pre-taped farewell address: 'Thank you for this extraordinary privilege'The White House has released a pre-taped farewell address from President Trump on his final full day in office."We did what we came here to do - and so much more," Trump said, speaking from scripted remarks directly into the camera and standing behind a lectern with the presidential seal. "This week, we inaugurate a new administration and pray for its success in keeping America safe and prosperous. We extend our best wishes, and we also...
    More On: Parler Texas man busted in threat to return to Capitol ‘with weapons’ CEO says Parler could return soon: ‘We’ll be back’ Parler’s website is back online with message to ‘lovers and haters’ Apple CEO defends removing Parler from App Store It wasn’t enough for tech companies to unite — collude? — to push conservative-friendly social-media app Parler and its 12 million users off the Internet. Enemies of the app have now doxed its CEO, threatening violence against him, his family and other Parler workers. It’s shameful. Mobs shouldn’t be deciding who can and can’t speak in America. After Twitter banned President Trump permanently following his supporters’ Jan. 6 attack on the US Capitol — and began suspending or removing other conservatives — Big Tech seemed to think it was open season on the right. Apple and Google removed Parler from their app stores, and Amazon ejected it from its Web servers,...
    She's set to sing the Star-Spangled Banner on Wednesday in Washington, D.C.  And Lady Gaga prepared for the performance of a lifetime as she toured the Capitol building on Tuesday afternoon ahead of inauguration day. The 34-year-old vocal powerhouse paid homage to the suffragettes with an all-white ensemble while visiting with National Guards after rehearsals.  Blessings: Lady Gaga prepared for the performance of a lifetime as she toured the Capitol building on Tuesday afternoon ahead of inauguration day Gaga bowed her head as she stood underneath The Apotheosis of Washington in the eye of the Rotunda, which was painted in 1865 by the true fresco technique by Constantino Brumidi.  RELATED ARTICLES Previous 1 Next Jennifer Lopez travels via her private jet to DC for her... Martin Luther King Jr Day is honored by Jennifer Aniston,... Garth Brooks will perform at Biden's inauguration, as...
    Mayor Muriel Bowser, District officials, and federal partners hold a public safety briefing on preparations for the upcoming 59th Presidential Inauguration, on January 15, 2021 in Washington, DC. (Photo by Bill O’Leary – Pool/Getty Images) Let me be unequivocal out the gate: D.C. Mayor Muriel Bowser saw the Capitol insurrection storm coming. Days before the Jan. 6 certification of Electoral College votes in the 2020 presidential election, Mayor Bowser requested the assistance of the national guard out of concern for known pro-Trump demonstrations. The U.S. Department of Defense granted her request, however, placed tight restrictions that included not allowing guardsmen to be armed. Read More: Trump calls DC mayor ‘incompetent’ in clash over George Floyd protests It wasn’t until all hell broke loose on Jan. 6, 2021, that Bowser had to call in for back-up from my home state of Virginia and neighboring Maryland. The U.S. Capitol was under...
    Of the 12 soldiers removed, two were for “inappropriate comments or texts”, the commander of the National Guard, General Daniel Hokanson told reporters, refusing to specify the nature of these comments. The checks were decided after police and plainclothes military participated in the violent assault on Capitol Hill by supporters of incumbent President Donald Trump on January 6. The authorities fear an infiltration of extremists within the forces responsible for securing the swearing-in of the new president of the United States on Wednesday. The two soldiers whose comments were deemed “inappropriate” were already in Washington when they were reported to National Guard Command, one by a superior and the other by an anonymous source, General Hokanson said. . They were sent home. In the case of the 10 other soldiers removed from the security apparatus, the decision “has nothing to do with the events taking place on the Capitol...
    Simone Gold, 55, was among three Los Angeles residents who were arrested on Monday Dr Simone Gold, the Beverly Hills doctor who gained notoriety when she advocated for hydroxychloroquine as treatment against COVID-19, has been detained in connection with the Capitol riots. Gold, 55, was among three Los Angeles residents who were arrested on Monday for the insurrection that occurred in D.C. earlier in the month.  In addition to Gold, 52-year-old Gina Bisignano and 37-year-old John Strand also face charges in connection to the insurrection, the Daily Beast reports.   A criminal complaint for charges against Gold and Strand states that federal authorities were alerted of the pair's attendance at the Capitol after the doctor did an interview with the Washington Post. Simone Gold became easily identifiable after she staged a press conference on the steps of the Supreme Court in July with America's Frontline Doctors - a group she founded last...
    A retired New York firefighter from Long Island has been arrested for being part of the MAGA mob that stormed the US Capitol on January 6. Thomas Fee, 53, of Freeport, Long Island, surrendered to authorities on Tuesday.  Fee, who retired from the FDNY last October after 22 years of service, faces charges in Washington of disorderly conduct and entering a restricted building without permission.  He texted a selfie of himself to his girlfriend's sibling from the Capitol rotunda when a stream of Trump supporters stormed into the building. He described himself as part of the 'tip of the spear,' prosecutors say. Retired New York firefighter Thomas Fee, 53, of Long Island, surrendered to authorities on Tuesday for his role in storming the US Capitol on January 6. He texted a selfie of himself (right) to his girlfriend's sibling from the Capitol rotunda when a stream of Trump supporters stormed...
    A Texas man who was part of the violent mob that stormed the Capitol on Jan. 6 was accused of threatening to kill his kids if they turned him in to authorities, according to federal court documents released after his arrest. Guy Reffitt was charged with obstruction of justice and knowingly entering a restricted building without lawful authority, the documents said. He was described in an affidavit as an apparent militia member who traveled to the Capitol to “help protect his country.” Reffitt also allegedly threatened to “put a bullet through” his daughter’s cellphone if she posted anything incriminating towards him on social media, the affidavit alleged. (RELATED: Capitol Rioter Who Was Fired After Wearing Company Badge Turns Himself In) A large group of pro-Trump rioters stand on the East steps of the Capitol Building after storming its grounds on January 6, 2021 in Washington, DC. A pro-Trump mob stormed the...
    (CNN)The day before the US Capitol was attacked, Capitol Police officers were ordered to report to the department's equipment depot to pick up helmets, an officer who was there that day told CNN. They didn't know why they were needed, but when they arrived, they were told to return later. The helmets had yet to be scanned into inventory. When officers finally secured helmets that Wednesday morning following roll call, they weren't given direction for use or storage. The helmets are heavy, and it wasn't clear they'd need them for the morning's protest. Some put them in their lockers, others kept them near their fixed posts. By afternoon, the officers in the Capitol were in a fight for their lives and for the seat of American government. They were left to their own devices, outgunned, without adequate protective equipment, unaware of backup, enclosed by people, many with weapons, attempting to...
              Live from Music Row Monday morning on The Tennessee Star Report with Michael Patrick Leahy – broadcast on Nashville’s Talk Radio 98.3 and 1510 WLAC weekdays from 5:00 a.m. to 8:00 a.m. –  host Leahy welcomed Senior Analyst for Strategy at the Center for Security Policy in Washington, D.C. Michael Waller to the newsmakers line to discuss what he personally witnessed while at the Save America Rally and Capitol breach last week. Leahy: We are joined now on our newsmaker line by Michael Waller a senior analyst for strategy at the center for security policy in Washington. Good morning Michael. Waller: Good morning, Michael. Leahy: Thanks so much for joining us. Waller: I read with great alarm your eyewitness account of what happened at the Capitol. Just give us the highlights of this. It’s a little different what you reported versus what we’ve seen in...
    Members of the US National Guard stand watch at the US Capitol in Washington, DC on January 17, 2021, during a nationwide protest called by anti-government and far-right groups supporting US President Donald Trump and his claim of electoral fraud in the November 3 presidential election. ANDREW CABALLERO-REYNOLDS/AFP via Getty Images A National Guard member, who is currently in Washington DC as security for Inauguration Day, has managed to do double duty as a teacher during breaks in service, the Washington Post reported.  Sgt. Jacob Kohut is a band teacher who teaches elementary and middle schoolers from a Humvee on Zoom, according to WTOP News. "The last thing these students need is a disruption in their teaching," Kohut told the Washington Post. "I would rather teach the class, even if that means I'm very tired." Visit Insider's homepage for more stories. A DC National guard sergeant who...
    Actors Alyssa Milano and Dave Bautista are among those urging people to sign an online petition that calls for Republican Sen. Ted Cruz to be expelled from the US Senate. The week-old petition posted on MoveOn is addressed to the US Senate and seeks to 'Expel Ted Cruz' for reasons including alleged treason, conspiracy to incite armed insurrection in Washington, DC, undermining rule of law, a coup attempt and sedition.  As of Monday, it has been signed by more than 76,100 people.  Cruz has been the target of fierce criticism in the weeks following the Presidential Election for his role in perpetuating the idea that President-Elect Joe Biden's win had been the result of organized, wide-scale voter fraud and other voting irregularities.  Alyssa Milano (left) and David Bautista (right) have added their support to a petition seeking to expel Sen. Ted Cruz from the Senate based on alleged treason...
    January 18, 2021 12:47 PM | With information from DPA 15 minutes. A small fire without consequences led to the activation on Monday of the alerts at the headquarters of the United States Capitol (USA), already shielded before the imminent inauguration of the Democrat Joe Biden, who on Wednesday will take office as the 46th president of the North American country. In an “excess of caution”, lThe Capitol Police alerted in the morning of an “external threat to security”. Consequently, he closed the entrances to the building until what happened was clarified. Authorities evacuated some areas and even recommended staying away from windows, the television network reported CNN. Trump plans to grant around 100 pardons, will that be included? A spokesman for the Fire Service explained that it was a fire in a store and that it was extinguished. In this sense, he acknowledged that the response of the emergency...
    (CNN)President Donald Trump's egging on of rioters before the storming of the US Capitol -- and his silence as that mob overran the building -- was a deeply injurious moment for the country and a dark mark on his legacy. And it was all social media's fault...That last bit is according to Hogan Gidley, a White House spokesman who said this on Fox News Sunday while defending the President's lack of leadership in those key moments as the rioters took the Capitol: "On one hand, he should be censored by Big Tech and not be allowed to talk, he also shouldn't say anything because it's divisive?" Gidley said. "And then when he doesn't say anything and can't say anything because the platforms have removed him, they say, 'Where's the President?'"Huh! So, Trump's deplatforming by Twitter and Facebook made it impossible for him to address the American public -- and the...