Wednesday, Mar 03, 2021 - 09:05:03
146 results - (0.003 seconds)

to resign after:

Lionel Messi shows his frustration during Champions League match against Bayern Munich, August 14, 2020. Manu Fernandez/Pool via REUTERS TPX IMAGES OF THE DAY Lionel Messi has informed Barcelona that he wishes to leave the club. Fans responded by taking to the streets, demanding the resignation of club president Josep Maria Bartomeu. Messi could be reunited with former manager Pep Guardiola at Manchester City should the 6-time Balon d'Or winner get his wish. Visit Insider's homepage for more stories. Barcelona supporters are reeling after news broke that superstar forward and greatest of all time Lionel Messi was looking to leave the club he's been with for the past two decades. After Barça's disappointing ouster from the Champions League with a brutal 8-2 defeat at the hands of Bayern Munich, Messi told the club that he was ready to move on. On Tuesday, fans took to the streets,...
    Liberty University President Jerry Falwell Jr. promised to resign as leader of the school, but backed out following media reports, according to a statement from the school. In an interview with Virginia Business, Falwell Jr. said that reports claiming he was resigning from the school are "completely false," However, in a statement to the Washington Examiner, the university said he reneged his promise to depart his position after the media began reporting on an arranged agreement. "On the first day of classes of Liberty University’s fall term, Jerry Falwell, Jr., agreed to resign as its President and from its Board of Directors, but following media reports about the resignation, withdrew it. The Executive Committee’s Board of Trustees asked Falwell to go on indefinite leave of absence on August 7, to which he agreed. Since that time, additional matters came to light that made it clear that it would...
    LONDON (AP) — The EU’s trade commissioner is coming under intense pressure to step down after attending a golf event despite a ban on public gatherings during the pandemic. The job of Phil Hogan, an Irishman who is expected to play a key role in trade talks with the U.K., is under threat amid a growing crisis stemming from a golf society dinner in the west of Ireland that was attended by more than 80 people. A surge in coronavirus cases recently prompted Ireland to reimpose restrictions on public gatherings that were eased in early summer. The agriculture minister and deputy speaker of the Senate resigned last week after confirming they were at the event. Hogan offered a “fulsome and profound apology” over the incident. One Rule for Me: Irish and EU Politicians Caught Breaking Lockdown Rules at Party https://t.co/4gvudj35wN — Breitbart London (@BreitbartLondon) August 21, 2020 The deputy head...
    Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer on Friday called for acting Homeland Security Secretary Chad Wolf and acting Deputy Ken Cuccinelli to step down after the Government Accountability Office (GAO) concluded they had been appointed invalidly to their posts. “President Trump’s efforts to install political sycophants to implement his extreme policies in an end run around the law and Senate have finally caught up with him,” Schumer said. GAO FINDS ACTING DHS CHIEF WOLF, DEPUTY CUCCINELLI INVALIDLY APPOINTED TO POSTS “The determination by an independent congressional watchdog today invalidates actions Mr. Cuccinelli and Mr. Wolf have taken and both should immediately step down from their illegal roles,” he said. The GAO said Friday that the appointments of Wolf and Cuccinelli were made invalidly due to errors made by officials about the line of succession for filling posts in an acting capacity. It said that when then-DHS Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen resigned in April 2019,...
    SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- "I just hope we'll focus the election on issues, policy differences, and leave any sexist, racist references alone. We are better than that." That's the comment from ABC7 News anchor Kristen Sze referring to a mayor from Virginia who is apologizing after calling vice presidential candidate Kamala Harris 'Aunt Jemima'.RELATED: Everything you don't know about Kamala Harris' San Francisco Bay Area rootsMayor Barry Presgraves of Luray, Virginia issued a formal apology about the since-deleted social media post."I understand what I posted on social media was wrong, offensive, and unbecoming. It does not reflect what was in my heart. I also want to make a direct apology to all people of color and women. Passing off demeaning and worn out racial stereotypes as humor isn't funny. It does not reflect what was in my heart," Presgraves said according to the minutes of the town's council meeting.Councilmember Leah...
    The mayor of a small town in Virginia is refusing calls to resign after saying presumptive Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden picked “Aunt Jemima” to be his running mate, a reference to the fact that Biden pledged to select a woman of color as a vice presidential candidate. Luray Mayor Barry Presgraves wrote in a since-deleted Facebook post on Aug. 2, “Joe Biden has just announced Aunt Jemima as his VP pick.” The comment was met with backlash from members of the Luray City Council, as well as from some residents of the 5,000-person town in the Shenandoah Valley. According to The Page Valley News, council member Leah Pence posted on Facebook, “Barry — I am writing to strongly urge you to resign over a racist comment you made on Facebook. The comment you posted has a type of humor that [has] not been appropriate or funny in my lifetime or...
    Luray Mayor Barry Presgraves posted the offensive remarks on his Facebook page in a now deleted post, last weekend The residents of a Virginia town are demanding for a mayor to resign after he posted a Facebook post stating Joe Biden 'just announced Aunt Jemima' as his running mate.  Luray Mayor Barry Presgraves posted the offensive remarks on his Facebook page in a now deleted post, last weekend.  The town of Luray has a population of less than 5,000 people, with the majority of them being white. The town has a four per cent Black population, according to census data.  Biden announced that he had chosen Kamala Harris to be his running mate on Tuesday.  In June, Quaker Oats acknowledged that Aunt Jemima's origins were based on a racial stereotype of a 'mammy' and announced that the company would be removing the image and name.  Presgraves apologized on Facebook and...
    A Virginia mayor is under fire and being asked to resign after a controversial Facebook post in which he opined that Joe Biden “just announced Aunt Jemima” as his running mate. Read More: Joe Biden introduces VP pick Kamala Harris at 1st campaign event According to NBC News, over the weekend Mayor Barry Presgraves of Luray, Virginia raised brows after he posted the racially charged comparison to his Facebook page. It’s been reported that members of the Luray Town Council and other residents were swift with their condemnation forcing him to take down the post that very same weekend. The latest census data shows that the small town – located about 90 miles west of Washington, D.C. – has less than 5,000 residents and only 4% of that population is Black. Following the backlash, Presgraves apologized at a town council meeting, and the following day Biden did, in fact, formally...
    The mayor of a small town in Virginia is being urged to resign following a Facebook post in which he claimed Democratic presidential candidate Joe Biden "just announced Aunt Jemima" as his running mate. Luray Mayor Barry Presgraves made the comment last weekend and has since faced a bitter backlash from the Luray Town Council as well as other residents who characterized his post as racist. Presgraves has since taken down his post and on Monday apologized at a town council meeting. "I understand what I posted on social media was wrong, offensive and unbecoming," Presgraves said. AUNT JEMIMA CHANGING NAME, REMOVING IMAGE 'BASED ON A RACIAL STEREOTYPE' FROM PACKAGING  Reading from a prepared statement he added, "I also want to make a direct apology to all people of color and women. Passing off demeaning and worn out racial stereotypes as humor isn't funny." Luray Mayor Barry Presgraves under fire...
    A Virginia mayor is facing calls to resign after he said presumptive Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden had chosen "Aunt Jemima" as his running mate. Luray Mayor Barry Presgraves had posted the comment over the weekend before Biden announced that he had chosen California Sen. Kamala Harris as his vice presidential pick. At the time Presgraves, 77, made the comment, a number of black women were in the running for Biden's choice, including Harris. Luray town council members and residents widely condemned the comment. The mayor apologized about his post at Monday's town council meeting. "I’m making a direct apology to all people of color and women for passing off deep-meaning and worn-out racial stereotypes as humor that isn’t funny," Presgraves said. "I now fully understand how hurtful it is, and I can and will do better. And we can all do better — we must. From the bottom of...
    Fox News contributor Tom Homan is calling on a district attorney in Oregon to immediately resign after he attended and supported hundreds of protesters Wednesday night blocking U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement officers in Bend. Federal agents say the two men arrested were a "threat to the public," but Deschutes County District Attorney John Hummel, who attended the protest, wrote on Twitter he's "never been so disgusted by my government and so proud of my community." ARRESTED PORTLAND PROTESTERS WON’T FACE CHARGES UNDER REVISED POLICY "[Hummel] should resign today," Homan, a retired acting ICE director, told "Fox & Friends" Thursday. "It is disgusting. He is in direct conflict of his duties as a district attorney to, number one, protect his community. Number two, protect law enforcement and the rule of law." Protesters blocking an unmarked ICE bus hold up their hands as federal agents arrive in Bend, Ore. (Garrett Andrews/The Bulletin) The protest, which spanned hours after two unmarked ICE...
    Igor Derysh August 11, 2020 9:13PM (UTC) President Donald Trump on Monday claimed that he would not have called on former President Barack Obama to resign over the coronavirus pandemic, which has killed more than 160,000 people in the U.S. so far. But Trump previously demanded his predecessor's resignation for far less.  Trump insisted that he would not have called on Obama to step down when a reporter questioned what his response would have been if "160,000 people had died on President Obama's watch." : Given that Trump repeatedly harangued Obama over his Ebola response, the remark drew skepticism. Trump demanded that Obama "apologize to the American people & resign" in the fall of 2014 for allowing an individual who tested positive for Ebola to enter the country.  "If Obama resigns from office NOW, thereby doing a great service to the country-- I will give him free lifetime golf," Trump tweeted weeks later....
    LEBANON'S entire government may collapse as officials fall on their swords over the colossal explosion that killed 160 people. Rage is mounting as rioting has swept the streets of Beirut following the blast last week that injured 6,000 and left at least 300,000 people homeless. 19Angry protesters gather and hurl rocks in BeirutCredit: EPA 19Lebanese soldiers move in to break up the riotsCredit: AFP or licensors 19Running battles between protesters and policeCredit: Rick Findler 19Anti-goverment graffiti appears near the blast siteCredit: AP:Associated Press Lebanese government ministers are beginning to resign amid allegations corruption and negligence of led to the explosion. The horrific blast was one fifth the size of the nuclear bomb dropped on Hiroshima. It emerged in the days after the disaster that numerous officials - including Lebanese president Michael Aoun - knew about the devastating stash of 2,750 tonnes of ammonium nitrate in Beirut. Warnings had been issued...
    A local official in Michigan is refusing a chorus of demands for him to resign over his startling use of an offensive racist slur to explain why he wasn't wearing a face mask. A reporter from the Leelanau Enterprise caught the interaction at the Tuesday meeting of the Leelanau County Road Commission. Commissioner Tom Eckerle, a Republican, was asked by another commissioner why he wasn't wearing a mask to the meeting. "Well, this whole thing is because of them n****** down in Detroit," Eckerle responded. "You can't say that!" responded Commission Chairman Bob Joyce. "I can say anything I want," Eckerle reportedly responded. "Black Lives Matter has everything to do with taking the country away from us." Doubling down When asked to clarify his comments, Eckerle denied that he was racist and defended his use of the...
    (CNN)Backlash in a small Virginia town was swift after a racist and sexist post showed up on the mayor's Facebook page."Joe Biden has just announced Aunt Jemima as his VP pick," read the statement posted to the Facebook page of Luray Mayor Barry Presgraves.The post was deleted once people on social media, including members of the Luray town council, called it out for being racist, the Washington Post reported. One council member called the mayor's words "inappropriate," another called for him to apologize and yet another called for his resignation. But Presgraves seemed to suggest that his community was overreacting, telling a local news outlet, "Hell no, I'm not resigning.""I thought it was humorous," Presgraves told Page Valley News. "I had no idea people would react the way they did. I think people have gone overboard on this ... It's an election year."Read MoreWhile the social media post appeared on...
    A Virginia mayor is being urged to quit after he joked on social media that Joe Biden had announced Aunt Jemima as his running mate for the November election. Former Vice President Biden has vowed to select a woman for the position and among the politicians up for the job are many women of color including California Sen. Kamala Harris, California Rep. Karen Bass and Atlanta Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms, former National Security Adviser Susan Rice, and former Orlando police chief Congresswoman Val Demings. As Biden delayed the announcement set for this week, Luray Mayor Barry Presgraves posted on Facebook Sunday: 'Joe Biden just announced Aunt Jemima as his VP pick.' The shocking comparison to comes after Quaker Oats announced in June that it will retire the Aunt Jemima brand, saying the company recognizes the character's origins are 'based on a racial stereotype.' Luray Mayor Barry...
    A Virginia mayor is facing calls to resign for a Facebook post saying Joe Biden “just announced Aunt Jemima” as his running mate in his bid for the White House. Luray Mayor Barry Presgraves posted the comment late Sunday on his Facebook page. It was later removed, but not before the offensive remark was condemned by a councilmember, town officials and residents in the small town where he’s served as mayor since 2008. “I am writing to strongly urge you to resign over a racist comment you made on Facebook,” Luray Councilmember Leah Pence wrote in an email to the three-term mayor who is not seeking reelection, WTOP reports. “The comment you posted has a type of humor that has not been appropriate or funny in my lifetime or yours.” Pence said Presgraves’ “resignation is imperative” since she and many residents of the small town have lost faith in his...
    In the wake of devastating new reporting by Vanity Fair, a chorus of voices Friday called for the immediate resignation of Jared Kushner, a top White House advisor and the son-in-law of President Donald Trump, for disastrous—and deadly—failures by the administration that appear to have put the political desires of the president above the public health needs of the American people. The Vanity Fair article takes an exhaustive look at decisions made and actions taken by a secretive task force led by Kushner that was charged with implementing an “aggressive, coordinated national COVID-19 response”—including a federal testing regime that would help stem the spread of the virus. What the investigation uncovered, according to reporter Katherine Eban, was an ultimately “aborted plan” for a far-reaching national testing strategy and a deliberative process that “began not with public health experts but with bankers and billionaires.” While the plan itself devised by the team Kushner put together was characterized as “imperfect” but...
    Florida Rep. Ted Yoho resigned from the board of a Christian nonprofit organization after he reportedly called Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez a 'f****** b****' and 'disgusting' when she was out of ear shot. Bread for the World, an organization aimed at world hunger and poverty, on Saturday announced the GOP congressman's resignation in a statement that condemned his actions.  'We believe that Rep. Ted Yoho’s recent actions and words as reported in the media are not reflective of the ethical standards expected of members of our Board of Directors,' the organization wrote. Bread for the World, a nonprofit Christian organization, announced that Rep. Ted Yoho (left) resigned from its board over the alleged sexist slur he called Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (right) RELATED ARTICLES Previous 1 Next Hurricane Hanna makes landfall in Texas as Gov. Greg Abbott issues a state... Small plane carrying six passengers crashed...
    PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — The president of the Philadelphia chapter of the NAACP is under fire for allegedly sharing an anti-Semitic post on his Facebook page. Now, the Jewish Federation of Greater Philadelphia is asking for Rodney Muhammad’s resignation. “We feel the leader of that organization can’t be a divider,” Steven Rosenberg, the COO of Jewish Federation of Greater Philadelphia, said. “He has to be a unifier. The post was an awful mistake. It was divisive in every possible way. Very anti-Semitic. A leader of an organization of that magnitude has to be more careful.” The post reportedly showed actor and rapper Ice Cube, Eagles star DeSean Jackson and TV host Nick Cannon and a man crushing people with his hand. It had the quote “to learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize.” The post has since been taken down. Eyewitness News has...
              Leading Ohio Republicans have called on Speaker of the House Larry Householder (R-Glenford) to resign after his recent arrest for allegedly participating in a $60 million bribery scheme. The Department of Justice (DOJ) arrested Householder along with Matt Borges, the former Ohio Republican Party chairman; Jeffrey Longstreth, a longtime political strategist for Householder; Neil Clark, the former budget director for the Ohio Republican Caucus; and Juan Cespedes, a Columbus lobbyist. These five men are alleged to have “worked to corruptly ensure that HB 6 went into effect by defeating a ballot initiative to overturn the legislation. The Enterprise received approximately $60 million into Generation Now from an energy company and its affiliates during the relevant period,” according to the DOJ press release. After Householder and others were arrested, Gov. Mike DeWine said Householder should resign in what he called a “sad day for...
    Federal authorities on Tuesday arrested Ohio House Speaker Larry Householder, R-Glenford, and four others as part of a $60 million “public corruption racketeering conspiracy.” Authorities allege Householder created an “enterprise” that received $60 million “from an energy company and its affiliates” to help pass House Bill 6 and defeat a ballot initiative to overturn the legislation. Even though the company is not named in the complaint, it appears to refer to Akron-based FirstEnergy Solutions, which announced plans to close two nuclear power plants before the bill’s passage. Investigators also charged Mathew Borges, 48, of Bexley, a lobbyist and former Ohio Republican Party Chair; longtime Householder campaign strategist Jeffrey Longstreth, 44, of Columbus; lobbyist Neil Clark, 67, of Columbus; and lobbyist Juan Cespedes, 40, of Columbus. The feds also charged Generation Now, a 501(c)(4) “social welfare entity,” as part of the alleged conspiracy. “This is likely the largest...
    U.S. Sen. Marsha Blackburn, R-Tenn., communicated in no uncertain terms on Wednesday regarding “trained Marxists” threatening America. “The founders of the political arm of the Black Lives Matter organization are self-proclaimed ‘trained Marxists,’” Blackburn wrote on Twitter. “We are witnessing a movement to wipe out our history, destroy our families and burn our country to the ground.” Blackburn was referring to a recently resurfaced 2015 video clip in which Black Lives Matter co-founder Patrisse Cullors referred to her BLM colleagues as “trained Marxists” – referring to Karl Marx, the 19th century author of “The Communist Manifesto.” LAURA INGRAHAM BASHES 'MARXIST' DEMONSTRATORS, SAYS 'THEY WANT YOU TO THINK THAT ALL HOPE IS LOST' “We are trained Marxists,” Cullors says in the clip. “We are super-versed on, sort of, ideological theories. And I think that what we really tried to do is build a movement that could be utilized by many, many...
    St. Louis Mayor Lyda Krewson is facing calls to resign after she publicly revealed the names and addresses of protesters calling to 'defund' the police in the weeks following George Floyd's death.   Krewsonis knows the trauma of violence — she and her children were present when her first husband was shot to death 25 years ago during an attempted carjacking. She was elected on a pledge to curb violence in her city. Amid that backdrop, it's not surprising that calls to 'defund' police don't sit well with her. But Krewson went a step further: She publicly revealed the names and addresses of anti-police protesters, a decision that drew extra criticism in the tense weeks following George Floyd's death at the hands of a white Minneapolis officer who pressed his knee to Floyd's neck. More than 50,000 people have signed a petition calling for her resignation. St. Louis Mayor Lyda Krewson...
    Mark Zuckerberg has dismissed calls for him to resign from Facebook as 'ridiculous' after facing backlash from employees at the charity he and his wife run over his refusal to crack down on President Donald Trump's posts and hate speech. The billionaire faced calls to resign from either Facebook or the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative, which he started with his wife Priscilla Chan, during a town hall meeting last week with the charity's employees.  An engineer confronted the Facebook founder over his refusal to moderate President Donald Trump's posts and said that his decisions at the social media giant reflected on him as a leader.  According to a video of the remarks, which was obtained by Recode, Zuckerberg said that employees needed to decide for themselves if they wanted to work for the charity if they disagreed with the decisions he made at Facebook. The unidentified employee had said: 'You and Priscilla have emphasized...
    St. Louis Mayor Lyda Krewson won't be stepping down despite growing calls for her to resign after she released the names of people calling for major police reform. "Mayor has apologized, acknowledged the mistake and that there was absolutely no malicious intent, and took down the video," Jacob Long, the mayor's communications director, told CNN on Sunday evening. "She won't be resigning." After the mayor read aloud the identities of people demanding City Hall defund the police in an online address, which has been taken down, a petition calling for Krewson's resignation has received over 45,000 signatures as of Monday afternoon. The petition cites a series of Krewson's stances the petition's creator disagrees with in addition to her recent "outing" of protesters. "On June 26th Lyda directly endangered the lives of protesters by releasing their names and addresses," the petition reads. "Amidst community backlash of St. Louis police brutality,...
    Calls are mounting for the mayor of St. Louis to resign after she read out the names and addresses of protesters demanding the closure of an 'inhumane' city jail during a Facebook Live briefing.  More than 27,000 people have signed a petition demanding Mayor Lyda Krewson's resignation and blasting her for 'directly endanger[ing] the lives of protesters' following Friday's online event.   Krewson shocked listeners when she reeled off the personal details of demonstrators  - some reportedly up to 10 times - sparking major fears for their safety.  She singled out the individuals after they had written to her with their proposals for police reform including cuts to law enforcement budgets.    Calls are mounting for the mayor of St. Louis to resign after she read out the names and addresses of protesters during a Facebook Live briefing 'They presented some papers to me about how they want the budget...
    St. Louis Mayor Lyda Krewson on Friday was accused of doxxing her constituents during a live broadcast on Facebook when she shared the names and addresses of protestors who gave her letters calling for police reform. On the since-deleted broadcast, Krewson shared the name and addresses of at least 10 people who called on her to slash police funding amid ongoing protests over the death of George Floyd. Krewson, a Democrat who has previously said she was "listening" to protestors' concerns, apologized amid complaints that her Facebook broadcast put her citizens at risk and that she should resign from office.  The video was up for about three hours on Facebook before it was deleted and Krewson posted an apology. Visit Insider's homepage for more stories. St. Louis, Missouri, Mayor Lyda Krewson on Friday apologized after she earlier in the day shared the names and addresses of her constituents...
    The police chief of Tucson, Arizona, has offered to resign after a Hispanic man, 27, died in handcuffs while pleading 'I can't breathe' more than two months ago. Tucson Police Chief Chris Magnus made the offer during a press conference Wednesday where he released disturbing bodycam footage showing Carlos Ingram-Lopez's 'horrible' death while being detained by three cops back on April 21.   Ingram-Lopez died after he was pinned to the ground for more than 12 minutes as he begged for water and said he couldn't breathe - the same words uttered by black man George Floyd who was 'murdered' by a white cop in Minneapolis last month. Three cops involved in his arrest, identified as Jonathan Jackson, Samuel Routledge and Ryan Starbuck, have already resigned from the force after an internal investigation recommended their firing.    Tucson Police Chief Chris Magnus made the offer during a press conference Wednesday where he...
    By Andrew Hay (Reuters) - The chief of police in Tucson, Arizona on Wednesday offered to resign after he released a video showing the death of a Latino man who said "he could not breathe" as police handcuffed him and placed him face down on his stomach. Carlos Ingram-Lopez, 27, died on April 21, police restraining him in a "prone position" with his hands behind his back for about 12 minutes, police chief Chris Magnus told a news briefing. The video showed Ingram-Lopez repeatedly asking for water, crying out, moaning and breathing heavily until he eventually falls silent. Three police officers resigned over the incident, Magnus said. An investigation found they committed multiple policy violations during the incident, Magnus said, adding that he had offered his own resignation. A source said Tucson's city manager had yet to accept Magnus' resignation "The involved officers did not live up to our department's...
    Tuscon Police Chief Chris Magnus offered his resignation on Wednesday, following the death of a 27-old-man who reportedly died while in police custody. Magnus made the offer during a news conference, after the death of Carlos Ingram-Lopez became public, according to The Associated Press. The Tuscon city council and the city manager still have to sign off on the resignation before it becomes official. Ingram-Lopez died of sudden cardiac arrest on April 21, while he was handcuffed and restrained after he'd ingested cocaine, the medical examiner's office said. His grandmother had called the police after Ingram-Lopez began to behave erratically, the AP reported. He was facedown on the ground with a blanket over his head when he stopped breathing. Mayor Regina Romero, a Democrat, said she is still contemplating Magnus' resignation offer but praised him as “an honest and great” police chief. BUBBA WALLACE 'RELIEVED' ROPE IN GARAGE WASN'T NOOSE TARGETED AT HIM, ACKNOWLEDGES 'EMBARRASSMENT' VideoMagnus...
    Drew Angerer. Getty Images Attorney General William Barr on Saturday told New York’s top federal prosecutor that President Donald Trump had fired him nearly 24 hours after he refused to resign. On Friday, Barr announced Geoffrey Berman, the federal prosecutor for the Southern District of New York, would be replaced by the Chairman of the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) Jay Clayton. Initially, Berman said he had no plans to resign leading to his removal on Saturday. Berman said in a statement, “I learned in a press release from the Attorney General that I was ‘stepping down’ as United States Attorney. I have not resigned, and have no intention of resigning, my position, to which I was appointed by the Judges of the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York. I will step down when a presidentially appointed nominee is confirmed by the Senate.” Barr wrote...
    Attorney General William Barr on Saturday said President Trump had fired Geoffrey Berman, the U.S. attorney for the Southern District of New York who had investigated some of Mr. Trump's associates. Barr had announced late Friday that Berman would be stepping down, but Berman said in a statement shortly afterward that "I have not resigned" and that he learned that he was "stepping down" via a press release. In a letter to Berman on Saturday, Barr wrote that he was "surprised and quite disappointed" after seeing Berman's comments. "Because you have declared that you have no intention of resigning, I have asked the President to remove you as of today, and he has done so," Barr wrote. "By operation of law, the Deputy United States Attorney, Audrey Strauss, will become the Acting United States Attorney, and I anticipate that she will serve in that capacity until a permanent successor...
    President Donald Trump has ordered the firing of a federal prosecutor who refused to resign after learning of his pending removal by a press release.  Attorney General Bill Barr said on Saturday that Trump ordered the removal of Geoffrey S. Berman, United States attorney for the Southern District of New York, after he had refused to step down on Friday night.  Berman had taken on high-profile investigations, including charging Jeffrey Epstein with sex trafficking. He also prosecuted Trump's former lawyer Michael Cohen and charged two Rudy Giuliani associates during a campaign finance investigation. On Friday night, Berman forcefully denied that he was resigning, after a late-night Justice Department press release announced his resignation and replacement. Attorney General Bill Barr said on Saturday that Trump ordered the removal of Geoffrey S. Berman (above), United States attorney for the Southern District of New York In a letter to Berman, Barr said he...
    In a shocking plot twist, U.S. Legal professional Geoffrey S. Berman issued a press release Friday evening asserting that he is not going to, in actual fact, resign — in direct contradiction to an announcement that he was stepping down made hours earlier from Legal professional Basic William Barr. “I discovered in a press launch from the Legal professional Basic tonight that I used to be ‘stepping down’ as United States Legal professional,” Berman, mentioned in a press release posted to the Southern District of New York Twitter account. “I’ve not resigned, and don’t have any intention of resigning, my place, to which I used to be appointed by the Judges of the US District Court docket for the Southern District of New York,” Berman’s assertion continued. “I’ll step down when a presidentially appointed nominee is confirmed by the Senate,” he continued. Berman’s refusal to resign the place he’s...
    In a stunning plot twist, U.S. Attorney Geoffrey S. Berman issued a statement Friday night asserting that he will not, in fact, resign — in direct contradiction to an announcement that he was stepping down made hours earlier from Attorney General William Barr. “I learned in a press release from the Attorney General tonight that I was ‘stepping down’ as United States Attorney,” Berman said in a statement posted to the Southern District of New York Twitter account. “I have not resigned, and have no intention of resigning, my position, to which I was appointed by the Judges of the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York,” Berman’s statement continued. “I will step down when a presidentially appointed nominee is confirmed by the Senate,” he continued. “Until then, our investigations will move forward without delay or interruption. “I cherish every day that I work with...
    In a stunning plot twist, U.S. Attorney Geoffrey S. Berman issued a statement Friday night asserting that he will not, in fact, resign — in direct contradiction to an announcement that he was stepping down made hours earlier from Attorney General William Barr. Berman’s refusal to resign now sets up a power struggle with the Justice Department over arguably the most prestigious US attorney’s office in the country just five months before the presidential election. “I learned in a press release from the Attorney General tonight that I was ‘stepping down’ as United States Attorney,” Berman said in a statement posted to the Southern District of New York Twitter account. “I have not resigned, and have no intention of resigning, my position, to which I was appointed by the Judges of the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York,” Berman’s statement continued. “I will step down...
    Arkansas Republican Sen. Tom Cotton tore into Supreme Court Chief Justice John Roberts, casing his new decision on DACA as so political that Roberts should resign and run for office. The sarcastic blast from the Trump ally and possible future presidential candidate came as other conservatives piled on the George W. Bush appointee who authored the 5-4 opinion knocking down the Trump administration's attempt to end DACA.  Although his opinion was technical in nature, Roberts called the way the policy was carried out 'arbitrary and capricious,' and dealt a blow to Trump – who has campaigned on putting conservative justices on the court – less than five months before the elections.   'If the Chief Justice believes his political judgment is so exquisite, I invite him to resign, travel to Iowa, and get elected,' said Arkansas Republican Sen. Tom Cotton 'John Roberts again postures as a Solomon who will save...
    The civil rights board created by Wichita Mayor Brandon Whipple has gone off the rails after it was revealed that one of its members told black Americans to get over slavery. The Wichita Eagle reports that Allen Stoker, an appointee on Wichita’s Council on Diversity, Inclusion and Civil Rights, has made several racist Facebook posts in recent weeks despite the fact that he volunteered to serve on a committee whose goal is to improve racial equality. “So, if people are so pissed off about being brought here against their will… why aren’t they buying tickets back home?” Stoker wrote about slavery in one Facebook post. “Must not be that big of a deal.” Stoker has also repeatedly shared an essay written by a third party that claims Martin Luther King Day is an example of anti-white racism, as well as memes that suggest George Floyd’s killing by Minneapolis Police officer Derek Chauvin was...
    The Department of Justice’s chief of the Civil Division announced plans to resign after signing a lawsuit over former National Security Adviser John Bolton’s forthcoming book, according to a staff email. Joseph H. Hunt announced Tuesday in a staff email his intent to resign and leave July 3, according to The New York Times, which obtained the message. Hunt’s email came hours after signing the Trump administration’s lawsuit, alleging Bolton’s upcoming book contained classified information and breached his contract, according to the DOJ complaint. Hunt’s motives for the decision to resign are unclear, reported TheNYT. “I have the utmost respect and admiration for you because I have personally witnessed the manner in which you have carried out your responsibilities,” Hunt’s email said. Hunt has been the DOJ chief of the Civil Division since 2018, a department that defends the Trump administration against lawsuits, reported the NYT. The Trump administration’s lawsuit...
    Former NYPD detective Harry Houck called on New York City Police Commissioner Dermot Shea to resign Monday, hours after Shea announced that he was scrapping the department's plainclothes anti-crime unit. "I tell you, the plainclothes officers that are out there, the anti-crime units, are out there in plain clothes trying to watch criminals and catch them in the act," Houck said on "The Story with Martha MacCallum." "Now, you [have] the perpetrators out there in the street saying, 'Hey, listen, we don't have to worry about undercover officers any more. We only have to worry about uniforms. So we see no uniforms. There's no cops around.' And believe me, they will take advantage of that." DEM CONGRESSMAN LIKENS CHICAGO POLICE UNION TO KKK: 'LIKE KISSING, HUGGING AND LAW-BREAKING COUSINS' Earlier Wednesday, Shea described the move to disband the unit as "a seismic shift in the culture of how the NYPD polices this great...
    While recognizing free speech rights, Brewster School Board President Sonia Mesika is calling for a trustee to resign after she made inflammatory social media posts after the death of George Floyd. Earlier story - School Board Won't Remove Member For Facebook Post On George Floyd, ProtestsOn Sunday, May 31, a post on Trustee Krista Berardi's Facebook account said: “Read This Now!!! Was the George Floyd Incident Staged?” in all capital letters. Later, on Wednesday, June 3, a post on the account read: “This is the (expletive) I’m dealing with right now. It’s been such an emotional rollercoaster the past couple of days, I just want to get out with my daughter for a couple of hours.” The posts led to an outcry in the community, though the Board of Education announced this week during a Zoom meeting that Berardi would not be removed from her position. In response,...
    The entire Buffalo Police Department Emergency Response Team resigned Friday to support two police officers who pushed an elderly man to the ground in a viral video, according to a report from a local news outlet. A total of 57 officers quit the team as a sign of support for the officers involved in the video who were suspended without pay, News 4 Buffalo reported. The 57 are still officers on the police force. “If they resigned, I’m exceptionally disappointed by it because it indicates to me that they did not see anything wrong with the actions last night,” Erie County Executive Mark Poloncarz said at a press conference. TOP STORIES Portland, Oregon: No more school resource officers after George Floyd death Alec Baldwin bashes millions of Americans, says only mentally ill will vote for Trump Coronavirus hype biggest political hoax in history Buffalo Mayor Byron Brown said the...
    (CNN)Virginia Sen. Mark Warner called for Attorney General William Barr's resignation on Tuesday, saying Barr is "unfit for office" after the attorney general reportedly ordered peaceful protesters to be cleared from near the White House earlier this week.Warner's comments also come amid criticism over police tactics used to clear out the protesters ahead of President Donald Trump's walk across Lafayette Square and the President's subsequent photo-op in front of St. John's Episcopal Church on Monday. In a campaign email with the subject line "Barr Should Resign," the Democrat cited reporting on the incident and the Justice Department's decision to drop the criminal case against former national security adviser Michael Flynn."One thing is clear: Barr is unfit for office. He is acting as Donald Trump's personal lawyer instead of fulfilling his duty to act in the public's best interest," Warner wrote.CNN reached out to the Justice Department for comment on Warner's...
    Santa Monica Police Chief Cynthia Renaud is facing calls to resign after local television footage showed officers standing idly by as looters ransacked more than 80 stores in the city’s downtown area. A petition posted to Change.org to remove the California chief had received more than 8,000 signatures by 9 a.m. Tuesday morning, according to the Santa Monica Lookout. Its creator, Oliver Greene, said officers lacked the “strong leadership and overarching strategy to protect themselves, our city, and its citizens.” What began as a peaceful protest in Santa Monica on Sunday over the death of George Floyd descended into violence and some people began looting businesses, including banks, chain stores and smaller mom-and-pop shops and restaurants. SANTA MONICA FACES RIOTS, LOOTING AMID GEORGE FLOYD PROTESTS Santa Monica Police Chief Cynthia Renaud Live broadcasts showed officers watching as people ransacked stores and emptied shelves. Though more than...
    Calls for New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio to resign were trending on Twitter Sunday. The resignation calls came in response to his defense of NYPD officers in connection to an incident caught on video in which two NYPD vehicles were seen being driven into a crowd of protesters. “We need a real Mayor. RESIGN, DeBlasio,” tweeted Mira Lew, a woman from Brooklyn. “Bill de Blasio is a horrible mayor who should resign in disgrace,” said Yashar Ali in a tweet. He described himself as a New York Magazine and Huffington Post contributor. MORE THAN 300 ARRESTED DURING NYC VIOLENT PROTESTS; DE BLASIO CALLS IT A 'TENSE NIGHT' FOR POLICE OFFICERS “Almost too stunned for words at Mayor de Blasio addressing a city in deep pain at 11:30 at night by ruthlessly defending NYPD at every turn,” tweeted Helena Brosnan, a woman who said she was from New York.” Craven,...