Wednesday, Mar 03, 2021 - 16:37:45
415 results - (0.003 seconds)

from Congress:

The siblings of one Republican congressman are taking familial rivalries to the next level. Three siblings of Arizona Rep. Paul Gosar reached out to Democratic Rep. Raul Grijalva in recent days, urging him to get their brother expelled from Congress for what they say is his responsibility in inciting the violence that occurred at the Capitol as Congress was certifying the election results for President-elect Joe Biden, according to Arizona Central. "We know him to be an extremist and we took that very seriously," said Jennifer Gosar, one of Paul Gosar's nine siblings. "I believe that my brother has been a constant perpetrator of misinformation. ... I've been incredulous at the lack of accountability thus far. I would think Wednesday would be certainly a line." "He's set a dangerous sort of precedent along the 10 years he's been in office," said Tim Gosar of Fort Collins, Colorado. "When you talk...
    SACRAMENTO —  We Americans are not particularly exceptional when compared with other people in the world. What makes our country great is a Constitution that provides us with liberty, democracy and opportunity. It’s not that simple, of course. Americans still must respect and adhere to the document to make it work in real life. And the results aren’t always perfect. But without the Constitution’s safeguards, we long ago could have followed other countries into fascist or communist totalitarianism. Nazi Germany and Stalinist Russia come to mind. That’s my view, anyway. And it has been since I was a kid and started looking around at my fellow countrymen. Some seemed like frightened sheep with no backbone, others like bullies and bigots — the kind that could be conned and aroused by an ambitious demagogue such as Donald Trump or (fill in the dictator). But I’m merely a layman political junkie. I...
    North Korean leader Kim Jong Un was given a new title, 'general secretary' of the ruling Workers' Party, a post held by his late father and grandfather, state media reported Monday.  The appointment is largely symbolic, apparently aimed at bolstering his authority amid growing economic challenges at home. The party's ongoing congress, the first in kind in five years, announced Kim's new title during its sixth-day session on Sunday.  A congress statement said Kim 'has gloriously realized the historic mission to complete the country's nuclear build-up plan,' according to the official Korean Central News Agency. North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, center, attends the ruling party congress in Pyongyang, North Korean, Saturday A general view of attendees at the 8th Congress of the Workers' Party in Pyongyang, North Korea The party's ongoing congress, the first in kind in five years, announced Kim's new title during its...
    Speaker Nancy Pelosi told fellow Democrats on Sunday night the House will take up a measure Monday calling on Vice President Mike Pence to invoke the 25 Amendment and remove President Trump for being unfit to hold office. The California Democrat said lawmakers will attempt to pass the measure by unanimous consent and if Republicans block it, as they are likely to do, the House will reconvene Tuesday for a vote on the matter, she added. The resolution calls on Pence to convene the Cabinet and declare Trump “incapable of executing the duties of his office and to immediately exercise powers as acting President.” Following that vote, Pelosi said, the House will take up a resolution to impeach Trump. “In protecting our Constitution and our Democracy, we will act with urgency, because this President represents an imminent threat to both,” Pelosi said. “As the days go by, the horror...
    Three of Rep. Paul GosarPaul Anthony GosarSunday shows preview: Riots roil Washington as calls for Trump's removal grow FBI: No evidence antifa involved in Capitol riot Some on right blame antifa, not Trump, for mob at Capitol MORE's (R-Ariz.) siblings have called on him to be expelled from Congress, The Arizona Republic reports, placing blame on the congressman for helping incite the violent riot that took place at the Capitol on Wednesday. Gosar’s siblings sent a letter to Rep. Raúl Grijalva (D-Ariz.), asking for his help in removing their brother from Congress, the newspaper reports. It's the third time in three years that family members of Gosar family have publicly voiced their disapproval of the representative. "We know him to be an extremist and we took that very seriously," Jennifer Gosar told the newspaper. "I believe that my brother has been a constant perpetrator of misinformation. ... I've been incredulous at the lack...
    MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) — As Democrats move forward with impeachment, only a few Republicans are calling for President Donald Trump to be removed from office before the inauguration of President-elect Joe Biden. Minnesota’s Republican delegation would prefer the clock to run out on the Trump presidency without an impeachment vote. Until last week, Minnesota’s Republicans in Congress were united behind Trump. All three Republican Minnesota congressmen in December supported the Texas lawsuit that went to the U.S. Supreme Court that sought to overturn the election. That suit was rejected. With the swearing in of Michelle Fischbach, Minnesota now has four Republican members of Congress. After the violent clash at the Capitol, the four Minnesota Republicans split. Reps. Jim Hagedorn and Fischbach joined the majority of House Republicans — 137 of them who voted to overturn the presidential election. Meanwhile, Reps. Pete Stauber and Tom Emmer were part of the minority...
    After an incredibly chaotic, exhausting, and, frankly, terrifying week, New York Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez appeared on ABC’s This Week and talked to host George Stephanopoulos about what we all know is true: “Every minute” that Donald Trump sits in office “represents a clear and present danger.” As many on social media have pointed out, if Trump can’t even be trusted with a Twitter account, how can he be trusted to run the country, hold nuclear codes, or guide us through a global pandemic?  Still, some people are frustrated at the notion of removing Trump so close to the end of his term, wondering, Well, what’s the point? There’s symbolism, of course, in impeaching Trump for a second time. But there are also real, tangible benefits to removing Trump from office that can affect the country in both the short and long-term. Let’s check out how Ocasio-Cortez breaks them down in...
    A slim majority of Americans want Donald Trump removed from office in the wake of his supporters' murderous rampage through Congress, a new poll found Sunday. The ABC News/IPSOS survey shows support for removal at 54% compared to opposition at 43%. Trump could be removed immediately through being declared unfit under the 25th Amendment by Mike Pence and eight of the cabinet's 15 most senior members, or by a fast-tracked impeachment this week - although that would need Mitch McConnell to change position to get on board. But the poll shows a bitter partisan split over removal with 94% of Democrats in support but just 13% of Republicans. Now pay the price: A majority of Americans want Trump removed for whipping up the mob which stormed the Capitol and which he addressed at a rally outside the White House before they marched up the National Mall...
    Democratic Georgia Rep. Hank Johnson claimed in a Saturday appearance on MSNBC’s “PoliticsNation” that if the Capitol police officer had not fired the shot that killed a Trump supporter during the riots Wednesday, then he and his colleagues would have been lynched. “This is nothing but a race war that was about to be unleashed,” Johnson told host Al Sharpton. “Had it not been for the gunshot of the one shot fired by that plainclothes officer in the Speaker’s lobby right behind the House gallery … if those people had been able to get through, they would have had us who were in the gallery up on the third floor trapped.” Johnson, alluding to the shooting of Trump supporter Ashli Babbitt as she tried to climb through a barricaded window near the gallery, went on to say that he and other members of Congress “who look like” him “would have been...
    Steve Bannon's podcast has been removed from YouTube just hours after Rudy Giuliani appeared on the show blaming the MAGA mob riot that left five dead on the Democrats for 'censoring and suppressing' Trump supporters.  The YouTube account for Bannon's War Room podcast was taken down Friday for violating the platform's Terms of Service, according to the Washington Examiner.     Giuliani, Donald Trump's personal attorney and the man who spearheaded his failed legal battle to overturn the presidential election, had appeared on the show earlier Friday where he defended Wednesday's rioters who stormed the US Capitol. He pointed the blame for the attack, which sent lawmakers fleeing for their lives and has triggered calls for Trump's impeachment, on 'the fascists who now running the Democrat Party'.  'Most of them hadn't come there with implements to do it and also led on by people from, you know, groups that are...
    Following Pence's disappearance, Pelosi steps up. House Speaker Nancy Pelosi prefaced a planned meeting with the House Democratic meeting Friday with a letter outlining where the House is out now and dropping this bombshell: "This morning, I spoke to the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Mark Milley to discuss available precautions for preventing an unstable president from initiating military hostilities or accessing the launch codes and ordering a nuclear strike. The situation of this unhinged President could not be more dangerous, and we must do everything that we can to protect the American people from his unbalanced assault on our country and our democracy." Given that Vice President Pence has disappeared, someone had to do that. Speaking of Pence, Pelosi writes "Yesterday, Leader Schumer and I placed a call with Vice President Pence, and we still hope to hear from him as soon as possible with a positive...
    Democratic Texas Rep. Joaquin CastroJoaquin CastroHawley condemns Capitol violence amid accusations of incitement CHC Chair Castro nominates 'Selena' for National Film Registry Two headstones with swastikas removed from Texas veterans cemetery MORE announced in a tweet Thursday that he would be introducing legislation that would prevent any federal buildings or property from ever being named after President TrumpDonald TrumpTrump acknowledges end of presidency after Congress certifies Biden win Congress affirms Biden win after rioters terrorize Capitol Third House lawmaker tests positive for COVID-19 this week MORE.   "President Trump incited an insurrection that damaged some our nation’s most significant and sacred federal property," he wrote. "Donald Trump should never become a future generation’s confederate symbol." In addition to supporting the impeachment and removal of Donald Trump, I am also preparing legislation that would prohibit any federal building or property from being named after President Donald J. Trump. 1/2— Joaquin Castro (@JoaquinCastrotx) January...
    The U.S. Capitol Police turned down offers for support from the National Guard and the FBI to help manage what ended up becoming a massive Capitol security breach carried out by a mob of pro-Trump supporters. Capitol Police were contacted by the Pentagon three days before the planned event to see if they needed assistance from the National Guard, The Associated Press reports. Then as the rioters fell upon the Capitol, leaders from the Justice Department reached out to see if they needed assistance from FBI agents. Sources close to matter told the AP that both offers were turned down. Despite ordering more personnel to be present in preparation for the event, Capitol Police still found themselves overwhelmed when rioters began breaking into the Capitol, smashing windows and vandalizing offices. Multiple lawmakers expressed shock and outrage at the apparent failure in security that occurred on Wednesday. Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnellAddison (Mitch) Mitchell...
    A U.S. Capitol police officer has died Thursday following yesterday's violent confrontations between cops and supporters of President Donald Trump as they stormed Congress, according to reports.  It is the fifth fatality reported after hundreds of Trump loyalists violently broke their way into the U.S. Capitol seeking to stop the certification of the election of Joe Biden.  The death was first reported by CNN who said it was confirmed by two Capitol Police sources.   The cause of death is not known.  It came as the chief of the Capitol Police submitted his resignation on Thursday night after Nancy Pelosi and the union representing his officers called for him to step aside, following the total failure to protect Congress on Wednesday.  Trump supporters try to break through a police barrierWednesday at the Capitol in Washington. As Congress prepared to affirm President-elect Joe Biden's victory, thousands of people gathered to...
    CHICAGO (WLS) -- State and federal Illinois lawmakers -- including Republican Rep. Adam Kinzinger, Democratic Rep. Lauren Underwood, and Governor JB Pritzker -- have joined calls for President Donald Trump to be removed from office immediately after a riot at the U.S. Capitol.WATCH: Chaos in US Capitol unfolds on social media EMBED More News Videos Videos shared on social media show how a pro-Trump rally devolved into chaos as hundreds of Trump supporters stormed the U.S. Capitol. The backlash against President Trump has transcended just criticism of him for instigating the violence that put Congress under siege."What needs to happen is that President Trump needs to be removed from office immediately," said Underwood, who represents Illinois' 14th District.Governor Pritzker asked Congress to impeach the President and immediately remove him from office for encouraging what he called a "coup."Pritzker took to Twitter Wednesday night, saying: "I don't make a statement like...
    Savannah Rychcik January 7, 2021 0 Comments House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) is calling on Vice President Mike Pence to invoke the 25th Amendment and remove President Donald Trump from office. “In calling for this seditious act, the president has committed an unspeakable assault on our nation and our people. I join the Senate Democratic leader in calling on the vice president to remove this president by immediately invoking the 25th Amendment,” Pelosi said during her press conference on Thursday. She added, “If the vice president and Cabinet do not act, the Congress may be prepared to move forward with impeachment. That is the overwhelming sentiment of my caucus and the American people, by the way.” Check out her comments below: BREAKING: Nancy Pelosi calls for the 25th Amendment to be invoked by Mike Pence to remove Donald Trump from office.She says Congress is prepared to proceed with impeachment if...
    Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan (R) said on Thursday that the U.S. would be “better off” if President TrumpDonald TrumpTrump acknowledges end of presidency after Congress certifies Biden win Congress affirms Biden win after rioters terrorize Capitol Third House lawmaker tests positive for COVID-19 this week MORE either resigned or was removed from office and Vice President Pence served out the final days of the president’s term. “Look here’s where I am. I think there’s no question that America would be better off if the president would resign or be removed from office and if Mike PenceMichael (Mike) Richard PenceCongress affirms Biden win after rioters terrorize Capitol GOP senators blame Trump after mob overruns Capitol Officials discussing 25th Amendment for Trump following violence at Capitol MORE, the vice president of the United States, would conduct a peaceful transition of power over the next 13 days until President Biden is sworn in,”...
    By Clare Foran | CNN A growing number of lawmakers — including from Democratic leadership — are calling for President Donald Trump to be removed from office either through impeachment or the 25th Amendment to the Constitution after a violent mob of Trump supporters stormed the US Capitol on Wednesday. The calls have come largely from Democrats so far, but at least one congressional Republican has joined in. GOP Rep. Adam Kinzinger of Illinois, a frequent critic of the President, has called for the 25th Amendment to be invoked, saying in a video message on Thursday, “the President must now relinquish control of the executive branch voluntarily or involuntarily.” The top Democrat in the Senate has also embraced the 25th Amendment push. Senate Democratic leader Chuck Schumer put out a statement Thursday denouncing the “insurrection” at the Capitol “incited by the President,” and saying, “This president should not hold office...
    Washington, D.C., Mayor Muriel Bower on Thursday called for statehood for the District of Columbia and demanded that power over the D.C. National Guard transition from the president to the mayor, as law enforcement now reviews its response to the breach of the Capitol building by pro-Trump protesters.   Bowser communicated three priorities for Congress that she said are imported for the district – first, to get statehood on the president’s desk within the first 100 days of the 117th Congress. The second is that Congress "must immediately transfer command of the D.C. National Guard from the president and put it squarely under the command and control of the Mayor of the District of Columbia." PEOPLE SEEKING PEOPLE OF INTEREST IN CAPITOL HILL UNREST  She also called on Congress to create a nonpartisan commission to understand security failures that happened at the Capitol on Jan. 6 – "both to hold people accountable, and to ensure...
    Photo via Charlie Crist/FacebookU.S. Representative and former governor of Florida Charlie Crist (D-St. Petersburg) has called for the 25th Amendment to be invoked and Donald Trump to be removed as president.Crist was uncharacteristically blunt in a Twitter post late Wednesday afternoon, in the immediate aftermath of Trump supporters-turned-domestic terrorists rioting and storming the nation’s Capitol. "The 25th Amendment allows for the removal of a President. It's time to remove the President," tweeted Crist in full. The 25th Amendment to the Constitution allows for the president of the United States to be removed from office if he is deemed unfit for office by both houses of Congress. The vice president would then assume office.Crist, a former Republican, is among the first in Congress to call for the 25th Amendment to be invoked. This article first appeared at our sister publication Orlando Weekly.  Support local journalism in these crazy days. Our small but mighty team is working...
    President Trump has reportedly barred Marc Short, Vice President Mike Pence’s chief of staff, from White House grounds as tension escalates between Trump and the vice president following Wednesday’s protests. “CONFIRMED: Short tells me he is not allowed back on White House grounds: ‘He’s blaming me for advice to VP,” RealClearPolitics reporter Philip Melanchthon Wegmann reported late Wednesday night: CONFIRMED: Short tells me he is not allowed back on White House grounds: "Hes blaming me for advice to VP." https://t.co/EnfYIidVMF — Philip Melanchthon Wegmann (@PhilipWegmann) January 7, 2021 Prior to Wednesday’s chaos, Pence revealed he would not decertify the Electoral College votes during the joint session of Congress. He wrote in part: I do not believe that the Founders of our country intended to invest the Vice President with unilateral authority to decide which electoral votes should be counted during the Joint Session of Congress, and no Vice President in...
    In the wake of Wednesday's violent storming of the U.S. Capitol by Trump supporters who breached security and forced Congress to evacuate as lawmakers counted electoral votes to certify President-elect Joe Biden's victory, some are calling for President Trump to be removed from office for his role in inciting the unrest. The chaos erupted shortly after Mr. Trump gave a speech once again falsely claiming to have won a second term and vowing "we will never concede." He encouraged supporters to march to the Capitol. As the chaos ensued, Mr. Trump told his supporters to go home but repeated the false, inflammatory claim that the election had been stolen.  Now it's not just Democrats denouncing his behavior and considering taking action. Republican Congressman Adam Kinzinger of Illinois said Thursday, "It's time to invoke the 25th Amendment and end this nightmare." Some members of Mr. Trump's own Cabinet are discussing the possibility of invoking...
    Senate Democratic Leader Chuck Schumer on Thursday said Vice President Pence should "immediately" invoke the 25th Amendment and remove President Trump from office, while warning that if he refuses, Congress should "impeach the president." "What happened at the U.S. Capitol yesterday was an insurrection against the United States, incited by the president," Schumer, D-N.Y., said in a statement Thursday. "This president should not hold office one day longer." "The quickest and most effective way—it can be done today—to remove this president from office would be for the Vice President to immediately invoke the 25th amendment," Schumer continued. "If the Vice President and the Cabinet refuse to stand up, Congress should reconvene to impeach the president." Schumer’s statement comes after a number of congressional Democrats on Wednesday urged Pence to invoke the 25th amendment. The 25th Amendment includes a section allowing the vice president and a majority of Cabinet members to...
    CHUCK Schumer and a Republican rep have urged Mike Pence to force Donald Trump from office as Congress considers impeaching him again. Adam Kinzinger made the announcement on Thursday morning, following a night of chaos at the Capitol. Read our US Politics live blog for the latest news as the US Capitol building is put into lockdown 7Kinzinger released a video on Thursday 7President Trump, pictured with members of his then-cabinet in 2017, could be removed from office via the 25th amendment, according to reportsCredit: Reuters 7Police clash with President Trump's supporters who breached security and entered the Capitol building in Washington D.C on WednesdayCredit: Getty Images - Getty "It’s with a heavy heart I am calling for the sake of our Democracy that the 25th Amendment be invoked," Kinzinger wrote. The news comes following reports that Republicans are plotting to remove Trump as president. Cabinet secretaries and senior...
    Elected officials in Connecticut condemned the chaos that reigned supreme this week as Trump supporters stormed the U.S. Capitol building to show their support for his refusal to accept the results of November's presidential election. Following the riots in Washington, D.C., on Wednesday, Jan. 6, some of the Nutmeg State's top officials spoke out against the riots, during which four people died and dozens were taken into custody by police. U.S. Sen. Chris Murphy expressed his outrage over what he called "a violent, fringe group of traitors to our nation who are not going away so long as Trump and his hangers-on continue to fuel the fire. "Trump lit the match," Murphy said. "But the members of Congress who joined him in deranged claims of fraud and raised expectations about what could happen today laid down the firewood that made the blaze possible. "That (was) an insurrection. And President Trump...
    Former GOP presidential candidate Carly Fiorina is urging Republicans to expunge President TrumpDonald TrumpTrump acknowledges end of presidency after Congress certifies Biden win Congress affirms Biden win after rioters terrorize Capitol Third House lawmaker tests positive for COVID-19 this week MORE from the party following Wednesday's rioting at the Capitol by his supporters. "Republican officials and Republicans everywhere must finally repudiate Donald Trump and excise him from the Republican Party," Fiorina, who ran for president in 2016, wrote in a series of tweets Thursday morning. "And Cabinet members and elected officials everywhere must always be willing to speak truth, even when it is inconvenient; to stand for principle, even when it is politically perilous; and to act as necessary when action is required." Fiorina, a former CEO at Hewlett-Packard who also launched an unsuccessful Senate bid in California, has been a frequent critic of Trump. Republican officials and Republicans...
    Former Chief of Staff Mick Mulvaney resigned Thursday morning from his Trump Administration post as envoy to Northern Ireland. “I can’t do it. I can’t stay … We didn’t sign up for what you saw last night,” Mulvaney told CNBC after a mob of President Donald Trump’s supporters attacked the Capitol and temporarily prevented Congress from certifying the election victory of President-elect Joe Biden. Congress ultimately certified Biden’s election in the early hours of Jan. 7. Mulvaney criticized Trump’s response to the riot. The President’s tweet is not enough. He can stop this now and needs to do exactly that. Tell these folks to go home. — Mick Mulvaney (@MickMulvaney) January 6, 2021 Mulvaney played an outsized role in the Trump Administration after he was tapped to lead the Office of Management and Budget by the Trump transition team. He later served as the head of the Consumer Financial...
    CHICAGO (WLS) -- Governor JB Pritzker and several members of Congress from Illinois have called for President Donald Trump to be removed from office immediately after a riot at the U.S. Capitol.Governor Pritzker is asking Congress to impeach the President and immediately remove him from office for encouraging - what he called -- a "coup".WATCH: Chaos in US Capitol unfolds on social media EMBED More News Videos Videos shared on social media show how a pro-Trump rally devolved into chaos as hundreds of Trump supporters stormed the U.S. Capitol. Pritzker taking to Twitter Wednesday night , saying: "I don't make a statement like this lightly: Two weeks is too long for Donald Trump to remain in office, where he can continue to incite more untold violence."I don’t make a statement like this lightly: Two weeks is too long for Donald Trump to remain in office, where he can continue to...
    DONALD Trump has finally promised an "orderly transition" of power after Joe Biden was officially declared the president-elect. It came after hundreds of Trump supporters stormed the Capitol building as lawmakers met to certify the results of November's election on Wednesday. Read our US Politics live blog for the latest news as the US Capitol building is put into lockdown 68An explosion is seen after cops set off a police munition outside the CapitolCredit: Reuters 68Cops are seen clearing the US Capitol with tear gasCredit: STEPHANIE KEITH 68Cops are seen with their guns drawn as people tried to break into the Senate chamberCredit: AP:Associated Press 68A protester is seen dangling from the balcony of the Senate Chamber Credit: Getty Images - Getty 68A rioter stands on the lectern inside the Senate chamberCredit: Twitter 68Protesters crowd the steps outside the Capitol buildingCredit: STEPHANIE KEITH At least four people...
    Members of President Donald Trump's cabinet have been discussing use of the 25th Amendment to the constitution to declare him unfit for office after the president encouraged his supporters to march to the Capitol and many of them ran wild inside the seat of legislative power. It is a provision never used for the removal of a president against his will and faces extraordinary burdens to take effect.  Nevertheless, CBS News reported that Trump cabinet members had been discussing the idea. 'I’m talking about actual members of the Cabinet,' said Face the Nation moderator Margaret Brennan.  The 25th Amendment, which also governs a president who voluntarily relinquishes power on a temporary basis, requires that the vice president and 'a majority of either the principal officers of the executive departments or of such other body as Congress may by law provide' inform the Congress that the president is 'unable to discharge the...
    A female Air Force vet and Trump supporter from California has been identified as the protester killed in the Capitol building Wednesday. Ashli Babbit, who was married and lived around San Diego, was fatally shot in the chaos, her husband told KUSI-TV. She had 14 years in the service and done four tours of duty, the station said. Her husband called her a major President Trump supporter. The day before she was fatally shot, apparently by Capitol Police, Babbit tweeted, “Nothing will stop us…. they can try and try and try but the storm is here and it is descending upon DC in less than 24 hours….dark to light. Babbit, who used the Twitter handle CommonAshSense, also retweeted Wednesday morning — a few hours ahead of her and other Trump supporters storming the Capitol — a “MUST BE DONE LIST before Congress meets today.” It included, “Mike [email protected] @Mike_Pence must resign & thereafter...
    Turkey's foreign ministry condemned Wednesday's siege of the US Capitol building by supporters of President Trump as America's global rivals seized on the chaotic scenes from Washington. Turkey called for calm and urged for 'common sense' to resolve the 'political crisis' in the US after protesters broke into the United States Capitol aimed at thwarting a peaceful transfer of power to President-elect Joe Biden. Turkey's Foreign Ministry called the events 'worrying', saying 'we believe that the US will overcome this domestic crisis calmly,' with Turkish citizens in the US being urged to stay away from crowded places where demonstrations are held. 'We follow the events in the USA with concern and invite the parties to calmness. We believe that problems will always be solved within law and democracy,' Turkey's Parliament Speaker Mustafa Sentop said on Twitter. 'As Turkey, we have always been in favour of the law and democracy and...
    By The Associated Press WASHINGTON (AP) — The Latest on Congress’ tally of the Electoral College vote won by Joe Biden (all times local): 2:45 p.m. Lawmakers are being evacuated from the U.S. Capitol after protesters breached security and entered the building. Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell and other senators were led out, escorted by staff and police on Wednesday afternoon. Members of the House were also being evacuated. Both chambers had been debating the certification of Joe Biden’s victory in the Electoral College. The skirmishes came shortly after President Donald Trump addressed thousands of his supporters, riling up the crowd with his baseless claims of election fraud. Protesters could be seen marching through the Capitol’s stately Statuary Hall shouting and waving Trump banners and American flags. Some House lawmakers tweeted they were sheltering in place in their offices. ___ HERE’S WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT CONGRESS’ TALLY OF...
    WASHINGTON -- Senator Majority Leader Mitch McConnell broke from President Donald Trump, strongly rebuking the attempt to overturn the 2020 presidential election loss using "sweeping conspiracy theories."The Kentucky Republican spoke as Congress convened for a special joint session to confirm the Electoral College vote won by Joe Biden."If this election were overturned by mere allegations from the losing side, our democracy would enter a death spiral. We'd never see the whole nation accept an election again," McConnell said.The president's Republican allies plan to object to several states' election results.Arizona was the first of several states' electoral votes that some Republicans are challenging, encouraged by President Donald Trump's groundless charges that the election was riddled with fraud. Congress seems certain to reject all those challenges on Wednesday and formally certify Biden's victory.McConnell said while all elections have irregularities, they weren't "anywhere near the massive scale that would have tipped the entire...
    Vice President Mike Pence said he doesn’t have unilateral power to block congressional certification of Joe Biden’s victory in the presidential election. “I do not believe that the founders of our country intended to invest the vice president with the unilateral authority to decide which electoral votes should be counted during the joint session of Congress,” Pence said in a letter released Wednesday. “I took an oath to to support and defend the constitution,” he said. Pence’s letter rebuffs appeals from President Trump to intercede on his behalf. Filed under 2020 presidential election ,  congress ,  donald trump ,  electoral college ,  joe biden ,  mike pence ,  1/6/21
    Vice President Mike Pence shot down President Donald Trump’s hopes that he might somehow overturn the election results in a letter sent to Congress Wednesday afternoon. The letter — which the White House provided to the press just before Pence was set to open the joint session of Congress that will certify the results — notes that “the Founders of our country intended to invest the Vice President with unilateral authority to decide which electoral voters should be counted.” (RELATED: Biden Overruled Objections To Trump’s 2017 Electoral College Win — Will Pence Do The Same For Biden? His Office Won’t Say) WASHINGTON, DC – NOVEMBER 24: U.S. President Donald Trump (L) speaks as Vice President Mike Pence (R) looks on in the James Brady Press Briefing Room at the White House on November 24, 2020 in Washington, DC. Trump made brief remarks about the stock market hitting 30,000. (Photo by...
    Fox News cut away from Donald Trump Jr’s Washington DC speech after he began cursing during a rant about transgender pronouns. Trump Jr. spoke in front of the White House South Lawn Wednesday just before the Congressional certification of President-elect Joe Biden’s electoral victory. “Thank you for being in this fight with us,” the first son told the crowd. “Thank you for standing up to the bullsh*t. Right? Amen and awoman, right? I know. I know. But that shows you literally the mentality of where the Democrat Party is, right?” “They spent money on a study that came to the incredible conclusion yesterday that trans women playing in female sports have a competitive advantage,” he added. “No sh*t! Who could have seen that coming?” Following the profanity, Fox News pulled their feed from the speech back to host Sandra Smith on “America’s Newsroom.” WATCH: Trump Jr’s comments referenced the opening...
    Madison Summers January 6, 2021 0 Comments While several Republican lawmakers plan to challenge the electoral votes during Congress’ joint session, former Sen. Jeff Flake (R-Ariz.) is calling on them to stand up to “to the rank corruptions of a demagogue.” Flake, who retired from the Senate in 2019, penned an op-ed in The New York Times published on Wednesday, where he wrote, “There is power in standing up to the rank corruptions of a demagogue.” “Mr. Trump can’t hurt you. But he is destroying us,” Flake wrote, taking aim at President Donald Trump. Flake wrote that as Trump “crosses that rubicon” with being in an “alternate reality in which he won,” the president “has taken many in my party with him, all of whom seem to have learned the wrong lessons from this anomalous presidency.” He added, “If the only acceptable outcome is for your side to win,...
    With Tuesday's Georgia Senate runoff race appearing to deliver a victory for Democrats Jon Ossoff and Raphael Warnock, Democrats on the hard Left are ready for an all-Democratic, if narrow, government control of Congress and the White House to deliver on some of their top priorities. The measures, though, require support not only from all 50 Democratic senators, but also require either ending the Senate filibuster (a measure that centrist Democratic Sen. Joe Manchin of West Virginia is opposed to) or additional support from at least 10 Senate Republicans. Still, those on the Left see a rare opening. The last time that there was a Democratic trifecta was more than a decade ago in 2009 and 2010 during the first two years of President Barack Obama's presidency. New York Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez tweeted her wish list on Wednesday. "Who's ready to PUSH?" she asked, mentioning student loan...
    Traders work on the floor of the New York Stock Exchange.NYSE U.S. stock futures were flat on Tuesday night as Wall Street kept an eye on two runoff elections in Georgia that will determine control of the Senate. Republican Senators Kelly Loeffler and David Perdue are facing Democratic challengers Rev. Raphael Warnock and Jon Ossoff, respectively. If both Democrats win, that would make a 50-50 tie in the upper chamber, with Vice President-elect Kamala Harris as the tiebreaker vote to give the party control of the Senate. Some on Wall Street fear that a Democrat-controlled Senate could lead to higher corporate taxes and tougher regulations on companies, which could weigh on the broader market. However, this outcome could also facilitate the passing of additional fiscal stimulus, which could give a boost to companies hit hardest by the coronavirus pandemic. Oppenheimer's John Stoltzfus said in a note Monday that the S&P...
    Twice-failed presidential candidate Hillary Clinton said on Twitter Monday that President Trump is attempting to “distract people from the fact that he lost,” adding that he does not care about the “costs,” which include “our very democracy.” “What we’re seeing right now is a president with nothing left to lose and only one goal—to distract people from the fact that he lost,” the former Trump challenger said to her 30 million Twitter followers Monday. “He doesn’t care that the costs are America’s health, security, and our very democracy,” she added: What we’re seeing right now is a president with nothing left to lose and only one goal—to distract people from the fact that he lost. He doesn’t care that the costs are America’s health, security, and our very democracy. — Hillary Clinton (@HillaryClinton) January 4, 2021 Clinton’s remarks follow Trump’s expression of approval of Republican lawmakers’ plans to object...
    Iowa Rep. Mariannette Miller-Meeks's time as a House member may be short if her vanquished Democratic opponent successfully argues she won more votes. And House Democrats, in the majority, could cite precedent from 1937. House Administration Chairwoman Zoe Lofgren, a California Democrat, confirmed to the Washington Examiner Sunday that Miller-Meeks could be removed from office should the contest mounted by her 2nd Congressional District Democratic opponent, Rita Hart, find the challenger earned more votes. Miller-Meeks, a former state senator, beat Hart by six votes out of more than 394,000 cast. Miller-Meeks was certified as the winner following a recount and a recanvass of the district’s 24 counties. Hart, in her filing to the House Administration Committee, claims that 22 ballots were excluded from the final tally, which, if included, would have favored Hart to win the election. Miller-Meeks was seated on Sunday when the new Congress opened. But Democrats...
    More On: senate David Purdue backs GOP effort to object to Electoral College certification AOC won’t rule out primary challenge against Schumer Nancy Pelosi just showed why it’s vital to keep the Senate in GOP hands Loeffler says ‘everything’s on the table’ with Electoral College vote It’s impossible to overstate the stakes in Georgia’s runoff election, where voting finishes up Tuesday: Republicans need to win at least one race to keep control of the Senate, and so serve as a vital check on a Democratic Party that’s careening to the far left. Dems running the Senate as well as the House and White House would spell disaster for an America struggling to bounce back from the pandemic. It’s likely to be close: The final RealClearPolitics polling average shows the Democrats leading the Republican incumbents, though narrowly: Jon Ossoff over Sen. David Perdue by 0.8 percent and Raphael Warnock over...
    A federal judge on Monday rejected a legal effort from groups of Trump voters to block Congress from officially counting the Electoral College votes, dealing another defeat for the dubious last-ditch legal maneuvers aimed at overturning President-elect Joe BidenJoe BidenCotton breaks with conservative colleagues who will oppose electoral vote count Trump to give Nunes Medal of Freedom: reports Hogan says lawmakers' 'scheme' to overturn election results 'makes a mockery of our system' MORE's victory. In a seven-page decision, Judge James Boasberg denied the group's request for a preliminary injunction against Congress and Vice President Pence, in his capacity as president of the Senate, from certifying the results of the election.  Boasberg, an Obama appointee to the federal district court in D.C., tore into the plaintiffs in his decision, saying it was "not a stretch to find a serious lack of good faith here," and warning that they may be subject...
    Texas Republican Rep. Chip Roy objected to the seating of lawmakers from Wisconsin, Michigan, Pennsylvania, Nevada, Arizona and Georgia during the House of Representatives opening session Sunday. President-elect Joe Biden won all six states in November, but Republicans, including President Donald Trump, have made unfounded allegations that widespread voter fraud occurred in each. Roy argued that if there was widespread voter fraud that altered the outcome of the presidential election, then the legitimacy of the down-ballot races which some of his colleagues won should be called into question as well. (RELATED: Trump Pressured Georgia Secretary Of State To ‘Find’ Votes During Recorded Call) His attempt to prevent certain lawmakers from being seated was objected to by House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer, and a vote to seat the members from the states in question passed 371-2. Roy, however, said that his goal was not to single out any group of lawmakers,...
            by Benjamin Zeisloft  Rep. Tulsi Gabbard (D-Hawaii) introduced legislation to ban biological males from participating in women’s sports. Gabbard, a Democrat who ran for the 2020 presidential nomination for her party, is the sponsor of H.R. 8932, the “Protect Women’s Sports Act,” alongside Reps. Markwayne Mullin, (R-Okla.), Bill Flores (R-Texas), Bill Johnson (R-Ohio), Rep. Alexander Mooney (R-W.V.), and Rep. Jeff Duncan (R-S.C.). The legislation aims “to provide that for purposes of determining compliance with Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 in athletics, sex shall be determined on the basis of biological sex as determined at birth by a physician.” In a joint press release with Mullin, Gabbard explained that Title IX “led to a generational shift that impacted countless women, creating life-changing opportunities for girls and women that never existed before.” “However, Title IX is being weakened by some states who are misinterpreting Title IX, creating...
    GOP senators, including Sens. Ted Cruz (R-TX), Marsha Blackburn (R-TN), Steve Daines (R-MT), John Kennedy (R-LA), and Mike Braun (R-IN) are joining Sen. Josh Hawley (R-MO) in objecting to Electoral College votes on January 6, they announced on Saturday in a joint statement alongside four senators-elect. The senators and incoming lawmakers — including senators-elect Cynthia Lummis (R-WY), Roger Marshall (R-KS), Bill Hagerty (R-TN), and Tommy Tuberville (R-AL) — released a joint statement on Saturday, expressing their intent to “reject the electors from disputed states” on January 6, explaining that the 2020 presidential election featured “unprecedented allegations of voter fraud, violations and lax enforcement of election law, and other voting irregularities.” “And those allegations are not believed just by one individual candidate. Instead, they are widespread,” the lawmakers said, citing a  Reuters/Ipsos poll showing that over one-third of Americans, or 39 percent, believe the election was “rigged.” “That belief is held by...
    Dozens of people elected to the House wrote to leadership asking them to reject an effort by Democrats to ban lawmakers from carrying guns on Capitol Hill. Rep.-elect Lauren Boebert of Colorado leads a letter, signed by 82 fellow members and representatives-elect, that was sent to House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy on Friday. “I refuse to give up my Second Amendment rights," Boebert said. "I’m a 5-foot tall, 100-pound mom with four children and will be walking to work and serving in one of the most dangerous cities in the U.S. I choose to defend my family and my life with all of the force the Constitution provides. I will not let a bunch of gun-grabbing House Democrats take away my Constitutional right to protect myself." 21 Democrats wrote a letter to Nancy Pelosi asking her to stop me from being able to carry on...
    More On: north korea North Korea executed fishing captain for listening to banned US radio North Korean defector vows to defy South Korea’s propaganda leaflet ban North Korea accused of using COVID-19 to crack down on human rights North Korea claims to find no COVID-19 cases among 9K people Thousands of North Koreans gathered in a Pyongyang square where they stood in formation to spell out a message captured in satellite images that means “to defend with one’s life,” according to reports. The 38 North website about the Hermit Kingdom said the massive crowd assembled at Kim Il Sung Square on Saturday to practice for an event around the time of the Eighth Party Congress in January. “Political messages displayed with the kind of red placards seen in today’s image are common during this kind of event and require practice to perfect timing and accuracy,” the outlet’s Martyn Williams...
    By DARLENE SUPERVILLE, Associated Press WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. (AP) — President Donald Trump is cutting short his Florida holiday vacation and returning to Washington on Thursday, one day earlier than expected for reasons the White House didn't explain. The White House announced the abrupt change in the president's schedule late Wednesday, hours after Sen. Josh Hawley, R-Mo., said he will raise objections next week when Congress meets to affirm President-elect Joe Biden's victory in the November election. It's a futile attempt to remain in power that Trump has been pushing following the failure of scores of legal challenges to the election outcome by his campaign, including at the Supreme Court. The schedule change also means Trump will miss the glitzy New Year's Eve party held annually at his private Mar-a-Lago club in Palm Beach. Neither Trump nor the White House explained why he decided to shorten a vacation that...
    WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. (AP) — President Donald Trump is cutting short his Florida holiday vacation and returning to Washington on Thursday, one day earlier than expected for reasons the White House didn’t explain. The White House announced the abrupt change in the president’s schedule late Wednesday, hours after Sen. Josh Hawley, R-Mo., said he will raise objections next week when Congress meets to affirm President-elect Joe Biden’s victory in the November election. It’s a futile attempt to remain in power that Trump has been pushing following the failure of scores of legal challenges to the election outcome by his campaign, including at the Supreme Court. The schedule change also means Trump will miss the glitzy New Year’s Eve party held annually at his private Mar-a-Lago club in Palm Beach. Neither Trump nor the White House explained why he decided to shorten a vacation that had...
    President Trump signed the $900 billion COVID-19 economic rescue package he called a “disgrace” in time to avert a government shutdown. Now, he wants to go back and excise the pork-barrel spending. The tool Trump plans to use to have his new spending and cut it too is the Impoundment Control Act of 1974. “I will send back to Congress a redlined version, item by item, accompanied by the formal rescission request to Congress insisting that those funds be removed from the bill,” he vowed. “It would be useful for Trump to send up a rescissions bill, not because it would end up cutting anything permanently but because the more debate the country has on wasteful spending, the better,” said Chris Edwards, tax policy director at the libertarian Cato Institute. Reviving the rescissions process under the 1974 law, which went unused under Presidents Barack Obama and George W. Bush, was...
    In a Wednesday piece for New York Magazine’s Intelligencer, law professor and columnist Paul Campos argued that Vice President Mike Pence could use the 25th amendment to remove Donald Trump from office. Campos pointed in particular to Section Four of the amendment, which allows the Vice President to work with a majority of the cabinet begin a motion to remove a president deemed to be too unstable for the White House. “If the vice-president and the majority of the Cabinet decide that, for whatever reason, the president has become unfit to carry out the powers and duties of the office and they transmit a letter to Congress to that effect, then the vice-president becomes the acting president and remains so unless and until Congress refuses to allow that transfer of power to stand.” According to Campos, members of Trump’s administration have considered invoking the 25th amendment in the early days...
    On Thursday’s broadcast of the Fox News Channel’s “America’s Newsroom,” Rep. James Comer (R-KY) stated that if House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) isn’t willing to “reduce all that wasteful spending” in the coronavirus relief bill, President Donald Trump should veto the bill and force Congress to start over. Comer said, “Well, the next step is what Leader McCarthy just tried to do. The Republicans wanted to file a unanimous consent to reduce the wasteful spending in that COVID bill. What Nancy Pelosi has right now is a bad case of selective hearing. Because what the president said was he wanted to increase the stimulus direct payments from $600 to $2,000, but he also said he wanted to reduce all that wasteful spending that Nancy Pelosi put in that bill. So, they have selective hearing. And I think what the president should do now is he should veto the bill, and...
    Federal prison officials wasted no time freeing former US Rep. Chris Collins following President Trump’s decision to pardon him for an inside-trading scandal that forced him from Congress. The US Bureau of Prisons website shows that Collins was sprung on Tuesday, the same day the White House announced around 7 p.m. that he was among 20 people who’d been granted clemency by Trump in a pre-Christmas blitz of mercy. Collins, 70, pleaded guilty last year to conspiracy to commit securities fraud and lying to the FBI, and began serving a 26-month sentence at federal prison in Pensacola, Florida, in mid-October. The Buffalo-area Republican was the first member of Congress to endorse Trump’s run for the White House, declaring his support in February 2016. But the former Erie County executive’s political career came to an end after the feds busted him for phoning his son with an insider stock tip...
    More On: chris collins Trump pardons ex-U.S. Rep. Chris Collins, busted for insider trading Cuomo sets special election to fill convicted Rep. Collins, Assembly seats Player in Chris Collins case asks judge to listen to his music during sentencing Chris Collins’ son dodges prison time in insider trading case Federal prison officials wasted no time freeing former US Rep. Chris Collins following President Trump’s decision to pardon him for an inside-trading scandal that forced him from Congress. The US Bureau of Prisons website shows that Collins was sprung on Tuesday, the same day the White House announced around 7 p.m. that he was among 20 people who’d been granted clemency by Trump in a pre-Christmas blitz of mercy. Collins, 70, pleaded guilty last year to conspiracy to commit securities fraud and lying to the FBI, and began serving a 26-month sentence at federal prison in Pensacola, Florida, in mid-October....
    CHICAGO -- U.S. Sen. Dick Durbin is touting the benefits of the pandemic and omnibus spending bill passed by Congress, but on Tuesday warned Illinois' leaders not to count on federal help to balance the state's budget.During a conference call with Illinois journalists, Durbin noted the pandemic spending bill passed Monday contains funding for specific programs to help Illinois and Chicago, including mass transit aid, support for airlines, restaurants and entertainment venues.The $900 billion pandemic relief package that includes a $300 federal stipend to unemployment checks and $600 in direct payments to taxpayers along with aid packages for various industries.RELATED: Trump suggests he may not sign COVID-19 relief package unless stimulus is increased to $2,000Durbin said even if runoff races in Georgia give Democrats control of the U.S. Senate, legislation for state and local government pandemic relief would be difficult to pass under a Joe Biden administration.Gov. JB Pritzker forecasts...
    CHICAGO (AP) — U.S. Sen. Dick Durbin is touting the benefits of the pandemic and omnibus spending bill passed by Congress, but on Tuesday warned Illinois’ leaders not to count on federal help to balance the state’s budget. During a conference call with Illinois journalists, Durbin noted the pandemic spending bill passed Monday contains funding for specific programs to help Illinois and Chicago, including mass transit aid, support for airlines, restaurants and entertainment venues. The $900 billion pandemic relief package that includes a $300 federal stipend to unemployment checks and $600 in direct payments to taxpayers along with aid packages for various industries. Durbin said even if runoff races in Georgia give Democrats control of the U.S. Senate, legislation for state and local government pandemic relief would be difficult to pass under a Joe Biden administration. Gov. J.B. Pritzker forecasts a $3.9 billion deficit for the budget year that ends...
    Loading the player... President Donald Trump late Tuesday threatened to torpedo Congress’ massive COVID-19 relief package in the midst of a raging pandemic and deep economic uncertainty, suddenly demanding changes fellow Republicans have opposed. Trump assailed the bipartisan $900 billion package in a video he tweeted out Tuesday night and suggested he may not sign the legislation. He called on lawmakers to increase direct payments for most Americans from $600 to $2,000 for individuals and $4,000 for couples. Read More: Congress approves $900B COVID relief bill, sending to Trump Railing against a range of provisions in the bill, including for foreign aid, he told lawmakers to “get rid of the wasteful and unnecessary items from this legislation and to send me a suitable bill.” Trump said he wants Congress to amend the coronavirus relief bill to raise the amount of stimulus checks to $2,000 and eliminate certain items, throwing...
    VIDEO2:4802:48Five stimulus benefits set to expire at the end of 2020Advisor Insight President Donald Trump is demanding lawmakers raise the second round of stimulus checks to $2,000 per person, from $600. "I am asking Congress to amend this bill and increase the ridiculously low $600 to $2,000, or $4,000 for a couple," Trump said in a video posted to Twitter Tuesday night. While the president did not outright threaten a veto of the $900 billion Covid relief bill, he did call it an unsuitable "disgrace." But if you are one of the people eligible for a stimulus check, don't get your hopes up. The legislation passed both houses of Congress with veto-proof majorities, meaning that Trump is powerless to raise direct payments from $600. Still, the top Democrats in Congress, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer, said they would support getting bigger checks to people....
    President Donald Trump seemed to threaten Tuesday to veto the COVID-19 stimulus package that Congress passed almost 24 hours earlier, telling lawmakers to boost checks for Americans to $2,000 and make other modifications after sitting out talks for months. Trump said 'it's taken forever' to get a package and the bill passed 'is much different than anticipated.' 'It really is a disgrace,' he added. 'Send me a suitable bill or else the next administration will have to deliver a COVID relief package and maybe that administration will be me and we will get it done,' Trump also said, as he continues to refuse to concede the election to President-elect Joe Biden. 'It's a disgrace.' Trump tweeted an address from the White House to rail against a bill passed by both parties in both chambers with overwhelming support Both houses easily had passed the bill but Senator Rand Paul had...
    (CNN)President-elect Joe Biden on Tuesday urged Americans to steel themselves for dark days ahead battling the coronavirus pandemic. He lambasted the Trump administration for the recent massive cyberattack on US federal agencies, and President Donald Trump for downplaying the attack. Biden also said Trump's team has not been fully cooperating with his transition team and that the Defense Department "won't even brief us on many things."Biden Transition Biden receives first dose of Covid-19 vaccine Biden poised to nominate Connecticut education chief Miguel Cardona as education secretary Here's which Biden Cabinet and other top roles haven't been announced yet MAP: Full presidential election results The President-elect praised Congress for passing a Covid-19 economic relief package but said it isn't enough and laid out the additional requests he will make of Congress once he takes office in January. He said there wasn't an "obvious choice in my mind" for who should...
    SAVANNAH, Ga. (AP) — In 2014, David Perdue introduced himself to Georgia voters as a corporate executive capable of bringing pragmatism to a Congress depicted in his first TV ad as a bunch of diaper-clad, crying babies. “Help me change the childish behavior up there,” he asked voters in his winning campaign for U.S. Senate. Since then, the Republican who promised level-headed maturity in Washington has been swept up in the tornado of Donald Trump’s White House. Perdue became one of the Senate’s chief defenders of a president known for schoolyard insults and who still refuses to accept his own election defeat. Now Perdue is at the center of one of the most intense Senate races in recent memory, fighting for reelection in a Jan. 5 runoff election that will determine which party controls the Senate. It’s an unexpected role for a politician described even by close allies as someone...
    Fox News host Howard Kurtz defended Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez’s (D-NY) decision to take the Covid-19 vaccine offered to members of Congress. “I just think it’s cheap politics to say members of Congress shouldn’t get the vaccine now, because protecting our nation’s leaders is also a top priority,” Kurtz said, adding that he was troubled by “media partisanship” on the issue, including MSNBC’s Joy Reid asking Vice President-elect Kamala Harris on Monday why Sen. Marco Rubio (R-FL) should be allowed to receive the vaccine when he enabled “bad behavior on Covid.” Members of Congress have been taking the vaccine this week after the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention moved lawmakers to the front of the line to receive it. Ocasio-Cortez published video of her taking the vaccine on Instagram on Saturday, but some lawmakers, including Rep. Ilhan Omar (D-MN), have been critical of their colleagues for receiving it if they do not have a reason...
    By RUSS BYNUM, Associated Press SAVANNAH, Ga. (AP) — In 2014, David Perdue introduced himself to Georgia voters as a corporate executive capable of bringing pragmatism to a Congress depicted in his first TV ad as a bunch of diaper-clad, crying babies. “Help me change the childish behavior up there," he asked voters in his winning campaign for U.S. Senate. Since then, the Republican who promised level-headed maturity in Washington has been swept up in the tornado of Donald Trump's White House. Perdue became one of the Senate's chief defenders of a president known for schoolyard insults and who still refuses to accept his own election defeat. Now Perdue is at the center of one of the most intense Senate races in recent memory, fighting for reelection in a Jan. 5 runoff election that will determine which party controls the Senate. It's an unexpected role for a politician described even...
    Over the last few decades, Congress has diversified in important ways. It has gotten less white, less male, less straight — all positive developments. But as I was staring at one of the many recent Senate hearings, filled with the usual magisterial blustering and self-important yada yada, it dawned on me that there’s a way that Congress has moved in a wrong direction, and become quite brazenly unrepresentative. No, it’s not that the place seethes with millionaires, though there’s that problem too. It’s that members of Congress are credentialed out the wazoo. An astonishing number have a small kite of extra initials fluttering after their names. According to the Congressional Research Service, more than one third of the House and more than half the Senate have law degrees. Roughly a fifth of senators and representatives have their master’s. Four senators and 21 House members have MDs, and an identical number in each...
    More On: stocks Tesla stock slides on first day in S&P 500 Stocks tumble as new COVID-19 strain overshadows stimulus deal Owe, here we go! Running the deficit for COVID relief will haunt the nation Poshmark files to go public after turning profits this year US stocks plunged and then recovered Monday as fears about a new coronavirus strain in the UK damped optimism about Congress passing a new stimulus bill. The Dow Jones industrial average tumbled as much as 423.52 points, or 1.4 percent, to 29,804.48 in early trading after British officials imposed a strict lockdown on London and other nearby areas over the weekend to stem the spread of the highly contagious strain. But the blue-chip index reversed course to close up 0.1 percent, or 37.40 points, at 30,216.45 as lawmakers prepared to vote on a roughly $900 billion coronavirus relief package in Washington. The benchmark S&P 500 similarly pared...
    A 12-year-old California girl has been rescued after authorities say she was abducted by a man who is an admitted pedophile and went to prison for more than a year for threatening to kill either President George W. Bush or President Barack Obama, Fox News has learned. Authorities in Fresno County scheduled a press conference for 11 a.m. local time to announce the arrest of Nathan Larson, 40, in the alleged abduction. Larson trolled the girl online and then flew from from his home in Virginia to Fresno in order to abduct her, authorities told Fox News. Nathan Larson put out this photo of himself when he was running for Congress in Virginia's 10th Congressional District. (Nathan Larson for Congress) Police got wind and were able to arrest Larson on a layover in Denver and to rescue the girl. PEDOPHILE CAN RUN FOR OFFICE IN VIRGINIA, THANKS TO MCAULIFFE DECISION...
    (CBS4) – Rep. Ken Buck, a Republican who represents Colorado’s 4th Congressional District, is departing from his role as the state party chairman of the Colorado Republican Committee. (credit: CBS) In announcing the move, he says he’s pleased with the work the state party has done in the past two years, but feels he can fight for conservative values in other way. “I am pleased with the work the state party has done over the last two years to create a strong base that will benefit our Party for years to come. We have reinvested in data, fundraising, communications, our volunteers, and have worked to show the people of Colorado that our Party is one that knows how much Results Matter. 

I am excited to continue working with you all in the coming months as we move through the process of organizational meetings and electing new officers for the 2022 cycle,” he said in a...
    A critical care nurse in Montana receives a dose of the Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine.Thom Bridge/AP Let our journalists help you make sense of the noise: Subscribe to the Mother Jones Daily newsletter and get a recap of news that matters.The start of COVID-19 vaccinations for health care workers has sparked hope that the end of the pandemic crisis is within sight, but when it comes to vaccine distribution, this is still the easy part. Local and state health agencies say they will struggle to get hundreds of millions of doses of the vaccines to the general public without a huge amount of additional funding. Even if Congress does manage to pass a compromise relief bill, the amount it provides may not be enough. The fates of the vaccine and the relief bill, both months in the making, are linked. The $900 billion proposal that Democrats and Republicans on Capitol Hill continue to debate has...
    Americans have become used to two things in December: the holiday season and a looming government shutdown right before Christmas.  Like a scripted play, the media always portray this in a similar fashion — shirts and skins, the bad guys versus the good guys, those who want to govern and those who want "obstruct." It’s so predictable at this point that we ought to call it the Capitol Hill Christmas Pageant. In reality, these so-called "crisis" moments are often manufactured in order to force members to support spending they would otherwise oppose. Bills are presented as "must-pass," but only because congressional leadership lets them linger until the last minute. HOUSE REPUBLICANS URGE TRUMP TO VETO OMNIBUS SPENDING BILL, CALL IT EXAMPLE OF ‘SWAMP POLITICS’ A small handful of power brokers hammer out massive, complicated, trillion-dollar bills behind closed doors, only to release them to members hours before they must cast...
    More On: Coronavirus WHAT THE SHOT! Only 4,000 COVID vaccinations given in New York so far Tyson fires 7 at Iowa pork plant after COVID betting probe Joe Biden to publicly receive COVID-19 vaccine next week: report MTA to keep cleaning 24/7 despite few cases of COVID-19 surface spread Federal Reserve Chairman Jerome Powell said Wednesday that the US economy urgently needs more relief from Congress as COVID-19 cases surge. Democratic and Republican leaders are wrangling over details for stimulus legislation ahead of a Friday government funding deadline. “The case for fiscal policy right now is very, very strong and I think that’s widely understood,” Powell said following a Federal Reserve meeting, the New York Times reports. “Now that we can kind of see the light at the end of the tunnel, it would be bad to see people losing their business, their life’s work, even generations’ worth of...
    House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and Majority Leader Steny Hoyer say they would celebrate the nomination of Rep. Deb Haaland to serve as the interior secretary next year under incoming President Joe Biden. But Haaland would become the third House Democrat to leave Congress for the Biden administration, and her departure would temporarily shrink the perilously slim Democratic majority by yet another vote. The incoming Biden team has already tapped Rep. Cedric Richmond, a Louisiana Democrat, to serve as a senior adviser, and Marcia Fudge, an Illinois Democrat, for Housing and Urban Development secretary. The Democrats are facing a majority of 222 lawmakers in January after Republicans flipped more than a dozen seats in the November election. Democrats would have only a few seats to spare for any vote that lacked GOP support, which is likely to include many key Democratic policy bills. Democratic leaders are nonetheless praising...
    Wednesday on Fox News Channel’s “America’s Newsroom,” Sen. Rand Paul (R-KY) joined the increasing calls for Rep. Eric Swalwell (D-CA) to resign from his position on the House Intelligence Committee in response to the report claiming he had a relationship with a Chinese spy named Christine Fang. Paul said to exercise caution, Swalwell “should resign from the Intelligence Committee.” He then conceded the congressman from California “really probably ought to just resign from Congress.” “I think to be careful, and to [be] cautious, he should actually resign from the Intelligence Committee. If he is not willing to do that, he should be removed from the Intelligence Committee,” Paul advised. “But I also think that what hypocrisy. This is the guy that was hurling stones and accusations, all kinds of false accusations at President Trump. ‘Oh, he is controlled by spies’ and this and that. He was the most over the...
    At least 21 House Democrats are seeking a ban against members of Congress carrying firearms in the U.S. Capitol. The move comes after incoming U.S. Rep. Lauren Boebert (R-CO) talked to Capitol police about her ability to have a gun on Capitol grounds for self-defense. And on December 8, 2020, Boebert tweeted, “I’ve always heard to ‘Speak softly and carry a big stick.’ I prefer to speak loudly and carry a Glock.” There are “a number of lawmakers who carry firearms,” and that a 1967 law allows them to do so, the Associated Press reported. That law says Congressional members shall not be prohibited “from maintaining firearms within the confines of his office” or “from transporting within Capitol grounds firearms unloaded and securely wrapped.” Democrats are now trying to put in a prohibition that will block members of Congress of carrying guns in the on U.S. Capitol grounds. The Hill said that...
    Rep.-elect Lauren Boebert, a gun-rights enthusiast, slammed an effort by House Democrats to ban lawmakers from carrying guns at the Capitol, pledging to fight back against any attempt to restrict her Second Amendment rights. "The Democrats are always up for stripping away our Constitutional rights and feel threatened when we simply want to exercise those rights," Boebert told Fox News Wednesday. "I carry a firearm to protect myself and want to exercise my right to do so in one of the most dangerous cities in America. They want to take that right away from me. I look forward to helping make sure they can't." GOP CONGRESSWOMAN-ELECT THINKS THIS WILL GET DEMS TO SUPPORT CONCEALED CARRY At least 21 Democrats sent a letter Tuesday to House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., and GOP Leader Kevin McCarthy, R-Calif., asking that lawmakers be banned from carrying guns at the Capitol.  California Rep. Jackie Speier, who survived...
    More On: congress Stimulus checks may be included in final COVID-19 relief deal McConnell: ‘Significant progress’ made on COVID relief bill Ex-Sanders aide who slammed Biden now running for House seat GOP senator: Congress should have been told about Hunter Biden probes ​A group of House Democrats are up in arms about a decades-old regulation that allows lawmakers to carry weapons on Capitol Hill after an incoming gun-toting Colorado congresswoman said she wants to enter office armed with her Glock. The 21 gun-reform-minded Democrats have urged House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy to remove an obscure 1967 regulation that exempts lawmakers from a ban against the public carrying weapons in the Capitol complex, The Hill reported. The Democrats, led by gun-reform advocate Rep. Jared Huffman of California, argue in their letter that allowing armed members of Congress to roam the halls does nothing to increase...
    Sen. Rand Paul said Rep. Eric Swalwell "probably ought to just resign from Congress" over his alleged dealings with a Chinese spy. “He should actually resign from the intelligence committee,” the Kentucky Republican told Fox News’s Sandra Smith in response to a question on whether or not Swalwell should step down from the House Intelligence Committee over his alleged relationship with campaign bundler and suspected Chinese spy Christine Fang. “If he’s not willing to do that, he should be removed from the intelligence committee,” Paul continued. Paul then accused the California Democrat of engaging in hypocrisy by “hurling false allegations” at President Trump during the Russia investigation but refusing to answer questions on his possible connections to China’s government. “He was the most over-the-top critic of President Trump on Russia collusion, and it turns out he’s sleeping with a Chinese spy,” Paul said. “I mean, my...
    A group of liberal Democrats is pressing House leaders in both parties to bar lawmakers from carrying guns on Capitol Hill. Although members of the public are prohibited from carrying weapons of any kind on the Capitol grounds, a decades-old regulation allows lawmakers to bear firearms in most areas of the Capitol complex. At least twenty-one Democratic gun reformers are hoping to overturn that exemption. In a letter sent Tuesday to Speaker Nancy PelosiNancy PelosiCongress closes in on COVID-19 relief, funding deal Bipartisan senators urge surprise billing deal's inclusion in year-end package Democratic leaders under pressure to agree to slimmed-down COVID-19 relief deal MORE (D-Calif.) and House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthyKevin Owen McCarthyCongress closes in on COVID-19 relief, funding deal Democratic leaders under pressure to agree to slimmed-down COVID-19 relief deal Progressives ramp up calls for increased unemployment insurance, direct payments MORE (R-Calif.), the liberals argued that gun-toting lawmakers, rather...
    (CNN)A very important election threshold has now been crossed. On Monday, Joe Biden received a majority of votes in the Electoral College, formally making him the president-elect. The Electoral College is composed of real people — loyalists who are chosen by their political parties at their state conventions or by party committees. These are the individuals Americans cast their votes for in the November election. They are charged with translating the popular vote in the states into the electoral vote when they meet as part of the Electoral College approximately six weeks after the election. Robert AlexanderIn normal times, little attention is paid to their vote and their meeting is seen as a mere formality in the presidential selection process. However, these are not normal times and even though Biden has won the Electoral College with 306 votes, Donald Trump and his supporters have not conceded and continue to claim...
    Michael Byers Let our journalists help you make sense of the noise: Subscribe to the Mother Jones Daily newsletter and get a recap of news that matters.When Joe Biden is inaugurated in January, he’ll have twin crises on his hands: a coronavirus surge and the economic damage the pandemic has wrought, including business closures, high unemployment, and rising poverty. Unless Democrats win both Georgia Senate runoffs in January, Biden will also be the first president in more than three decades to enter office without both houses of Congress under his party’s control. There’s little indication that congressional Republicans will cooperate with Biden on big economic relief initiatives: The two parties have spent seven months deadlocked over competing COVID relief proposals, and the GOP has even less incentive to boost the economy under a Democratic president. That means Biden will probably have to tackle what looks to be the worst economic crisis since...
    (CNN)The Trump administration will sanction Turkey for its purchase of a Russian surface-to-air missile system more than a year after Ankara took delivery of the weapons, a delay that so frustrated Congress that lawmakers made the sanctions mandatory.Lawmakers included a provision in the National Defense Authorization Act of 2021 that requires President Donald Trump to implement sanctions within 30 days of the law's enactment. Trump had balked at applying sanctions to Turkey and on Monday, State Department officials made it clear they were taking the steps as a last resort. "We very much regret that this has been necessary and we very much hope that Turkey will work with us to resolve the S-400 problem as quickly as possible," said Chris Ford, the State Department assistant secretary for international security and nonproliferation, told reporters on Monday.Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said in a statement that "the United States made clear...
    Hawaii Rep. Tulsi Gabbard introduced legislation with a Republican that would block transgender females from participating and competing in women's sports at federally funded universities and programs. The bill, called the Protect Women's Sports Act, centers on what Gabbard said is a misinterpretation of the use of Title IX, which aims to protect people from discrimination based on sex in education programs or activities that get federal financial assistance. Gabbard, a former Democratic presidential candidate, argues the federal civil rights law is being used to limit opportunities for women in sports by allowing transgender females to compete in women's divisions. "Title IX is being weakened by some states who are misinterpreting Title IX, creating uncertainty, undue hardship and lost opportunities for female athletes," Gabbard said in a statement. "Our legislation protects Title IX's original intent which was based on the general biological distinction between men and women athletes based...
    Outgoing Rep. Joe KennedyJoseph (Joe) Patrick KennedyConor Lamb defeats Trump-backed challenger for reelection in Pennsylvania Van Drew fends off challenge from Kennedy after party switch Markey wins reelection in Massachusetts MORE III (D-Mass.) shared a farewell speech from the House floor on Wednesday before preparing to leave the position he called an "honor of a lifetime." Kennedy, a presence in the House since 2013, opted to embark on a Senate run this year instead of running for re-election. He relinquished his seat in Congress in his bid for Senate, which ultimately ended in a primary defeat by incumbent Sen. Ed MarkeyEd MarkeyDemocratic senators push for ,200 direct payments in new coronavirus relief package Sanders presses Schumer on ,200 payments, bigger COVID-19 relief bill ACLU sues DHS for records on purchased cell phone data to track immigrants MORE (D-Mass.). The four-term congressman's departure means the end of a long run for a political dynasty -- a Kennedy...
    House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer said he is worried the incoming Biden administration’s move to recruit House Democrats will further reduce an already narrow majority in 2021. “I'm certainly concerned by the slimming of the majority,” the Maryland Democrat told reporters on Wednesday. “I made the case to the administration early on that I wanted them to be very careful in terms of the members that they appointed from the Congress given the closeness of our majority.” President-elect Joe Biden has so far chosen two House Democrats to serve in his administration: Rep. Cedric Richmond of Louisiana will join as a senior adviser, and Rep. Marcia Fudge of Ohio will be nominated to serve as secretary of housing and urban development. The seats will remain vacant until special elections are held to replace the two lawmakers, which means House Democrats must govern with an even narrower majority. As of Dec....
    On Tuesday’s broadcast of the Fox News Channel’s “Ingraham Angle,” House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-CA) stated that Rep. Eric Swalwell (D-CA) should be removed from the House Intelligence Committee and Congress and wondered if House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) and House Intelligence Committee Chairman Adam Schiff (D-CA) knew about Swalwell being targeted by a suspected Chinese spy. McCarthy said that members of the Intelligence Committee “are only selected for the Intel. Committee by the leaders of their party, meaning Nancy Pelosi. Nancy Pelosi is one of the Gang of Eight, along with myself. Did Nancy Pelosi know this had transpired when she put him on the committee? We have our Sen., Dianne Feinstein, for two decades, the personal assistant, that hear all the private phone calls in the car and others, a Chinese spy. Why did the Democrats pull out of the bipartisan China task force I had set...
    More On: donald trump Neil Young quietly drops ‘Rockin’ lawsuit against President Trump  Goya named AOC its ’employee of the month’ after her call to boycott company Top prof boasts Chinese spies have infiltrated ‘people at the top’ in US government Matthew McConaughey: A Hollywood star who actually thinks for himself President Trump doubled down on his threat to veto the defense authorization bill Tuesday morning as the House and Senate appear poised to move forward with or without him. In a tweet, the commander-in-chief urged allies in the lower house of Congress to vote against the measure unless it included language repealing Section 230, which provides a legal shield to tech companies for content on their sites. “I hope House Republicans will vote against the very weak National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA), which I will VETO. Must include a termination of Section 230 (for National Security purposes),” he wrote,...
    The top Republican on the House Armed Services Committee expressed concern Monday that President Donald Trump's sudden shake-ups at the Pentagon during his lame duck period may endanger U.S. national security.[ READ: Trump Purges Pentagon Advisory Board ]"I worry this much change could be seen by adversaries as an opening," Rep. Mac Thornberry of Texas said. "It's potentially damaging. But what they're trying to achieve, I don't understand." Thornberry, who did not seek reelection, spoke with reporters days after Trump on Friday ordered the sudden withdrawal of U.S. forces from Somalia. Aso on Friday, acting Defense Secretary Chris Miller – whom Trump appointed after firing his last Pentagon chief within days of the November election – purged a business advisory board to replace them with new members, including loyalists to the president. Thornberry says he has spoken with Miller at least twice to better understand the dramatic moves. Cartoons on President...
    CARACAS, Venezuela (AP) — Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro’s socialist party was poised to gain control of the National Assembly, the country’s last major independent institution, in congressional elections boycotted by the main opposition coalition. Official results had not yet been released by late Sunday night, but analysts they say are a near-foregone conclusion with the vote largely shunned by rival candidates and declared a sham by the U.S., European Union and several other nations. Maduro, who already has the loyalty of the courts, the military, prosecutors and other institutions, is expected to load the formerly opposition-controlled National Assembly with his supporters after the vote. “The truth cannot be hidden,” Juan Guaidó, whose opposition coalition is boycotting the vote, said in a videotaped message, noting the apparent low voter turnout. “The majority of Venezuela turned its back on the fraud that began months ago.” Despite Venezuela’s political turmoil, voting took place...
    A REPUBLICAN congressman from Pennsylvania wants Congress to remove Rashida Tlaib from her committee assignments for her “anti-Semitic” comments and “heinous behavior.” Guy Reschenthaler urged for Democrats to support Tlaib’s removal from her committee seats in a statement to the conservative website Breitbart. 3Guy Reschenthaler said he wants Rashida Tlaib removed from her congressional committee seatsCredit: Getty Images - Getty 3Tlaib, the daughter of Palestinian immigrants, has come under criticism for her support of PalestineCredit: EPA Reschenthaler’s comments come after Tlaib, the daughter of Palestinian immigrants, recently participated in an online convention held by the group American Muslims for Palestine, which he criticized as being anti-Semitic. “Rep. Tlaib’s participation in this conference, coupled with her recently deleted retweet of a slogan calling for the elimination of Israel, are just the latest examples of a deeply disturbing pattern of anti-Semitism that has been on display since she was elected,” he said....
    Bureau of Prisons agents block protesters from assembling in front of Lafayette Park in Washington DC on June 3, 2020.Sue Dorfman/ZUMA Wire Let our journalists help you make sense of the noise: Subscribe to the Mother Jones Daily newsletter and get a recap of news that matters.Congress is set to approve a defense policy bill that bars unidentified federal law enforcement officers from policing protests. The bill responds to a phenomenon that Mother Jones flagged in June: Unidentified federal law enforcement officers with no identifying insignia joined in the Trump administration’s coordinated crackdown on protests against police violence in several cities earlier this summer. The 4,500-page annual defense policy bill that emerged from a House-Senate policy committee Thursday requires any armed forces personnel, including National Guard members, and federal law enforcement agents who respond to a “civil disturbance”, to display either their name or some other “individual identifier”, as well as...