Saturday, Feb 27, 2021 - 02:12:26
312 results - (0.006 seconds)

the Constitution:

Legal scholar and famed criminal defense attorney Alan Dershowitz has a message for partisans dividing America: "A plague on both your houses." He voted for Hillary Clinton. He endorsed Joe Biden. He's a man who is basically the Forrest Gump of American judicial history. Look up a big court case over the past few decades, and you'll probably see him standing in the background. He's represented notorious clients like Mike Tyson, Patty Hearst, Harry Reems, Harvey Weinstein, Jeffrey Epstein, and yes, Donald Trump. It's made him a target for both the left and right. Alan also describes himself as a "civil libertarian," and that's probably why he and Glenn Beck get along despite their opposing political views. His story is like a history lesson, spanning half a century, and it just might be the key to bridging the political divide. On this week's podcast, Alan explained...
    Vice President Mike Pence on Tuesday said that Senate Democrats should meet with Supreme Court nominee Amy Coney Barrett as she prepared to meet with several Republican senators -- and as several Democrats have said they will refuse to meet with Barrett, calling her nomination "illegitimate." Barrett on Capitol Hill Tuesday is meeting with Pence and Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., to begin her day and closing in a meeting with Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Lindsey Graham, R-S.C. She will also meet with Sens. John Thune, R-S.D., Ted Cruz, R-Texas; Chuck Grassley, R-Iowa; Rick Scott, R-Fla.; Mike Crapo, R-Idaho; Mike Lee, R-Utah; and Cory Gardner, R-Colo. BARRETT BEGINS VISITS WITH SENATORS AS SEVERAL DEMS REFUSE TO MEET HER "We have someone of great character, of great intellect, who has a judicial philosophy that will uphold the Constitution of the United States," Pence said in a brief statement to reporters. "We look forward ... to working with ... Republicans...
    Terry H. Schwadron September 29, 2020 8:27AM (UTC) Read more articles from the DCReport here. Nomination of conservative Amy Coney Barrett to the Supreme Court makes us think about the role of government in our lives and the Republican majority view of winning vs. fairness. That her lifetime confirmation will change the direction of the Supreme Court for many years is a given, and, as it happens a sop toward Donald Trump's re-election efforts. : But what is there to learn here? Here's the good news about nominee Barrett: There will be no nonsense about a woman as the nominee, and minimal attention on her choices about religion, lifestyle and what she wears. She will get the same black robe as the rest. It finally is a choice that is about ideas and about visions of what we want as a nation — even if it comes as a forced...
    Republicans have, historically speaking, been absolutely terrible at judicial nominations—especially nominations for Supreme Court justices. To borrow from baseball, Republicans at best bat .500. Once confirmed as justices, at most, half of Republicans’ Supreme Court nominations actually behave as we hoped they might behave in terms of remaining faithful to their oath of office and the Constitution. Democrats, on the other hand, bat nearly 1.000. They are almost perfect in that almost every single Democratic Supreme Court nominee, on virtually every major case that is a hotly contested, votes exactly as the Democrats who appointed them would have wanted them to vote. Perhaps the most notable exception was Byron White, who was John F. Kennedy’s only Supreme Court nominee. MALCOLM AND JIPPING: AMY CONEY BARRETT'S RECORD – CLUES ON WHAT KIND OF SUPREME COURT JUSTICE SHE'D BE Justice White’s great apostasy was that he was one of the two original...
    Although Amy Coney Barrett is President Trump's choice to replace Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, she is more aptly described as heir to another departed Supreme Court justice - conservative hero Antonin Scalia. Barrett, who was formally nominated to the nation's highest court during a ceremony in the White House Rose Garden on Saturday evening, was once a clerk for Scalia and she could soon could tip the balance of the court on Obamacare, gun rights, immigration and abortion as she 'applies the law as written' -  just like her mentor.  Like Scalia, Barrett is a firm devotee of an interpretation of the Constitution known as 'originalism'. 'Originalism' is a concept that involves justices endeavoring to decipher the Constitution as the authors had written and intended it at the time in order to assess whether someone's rights have been violated.  Many liberals say that approach is too rigid and doesn't allow the...
    Judge Amy Coney Barrett declared that she loves the United States and its Constitution during the Saturday ceremony where President Donald Trump nominated her to serve on the Supreme Court. President Donald Trump selected Judge Coney Barrett to replace the late justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg on the Supreme Court seat, marking his third nominee in his first term as president. Speaking in the Rose Garden, Coney Barrett said that she was “deeply honored” by the confidence that President Trump had placed in her and expressed appreciation for his support and kindness. Judge Barrett: "I love the United States, and I love the United States Constitution." pic.twitter.com/zbr9bKgFUh — Breitbart News (@BreitbartNews) September 26, 2020 “I fully understand that this is a momentous decision for a president, and if the Senate does me the honor of confirming me, I pledge to discharge the responsibilities of this job to the very best of my...
    President Donald Trump on Saturday selected Judge Amy Coney Barrett to fill the Supreme Court seat left empty by the death of Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg just one week ago. The president described the pick as “one of his highest and most important duties.” The president’s choice demonstrates he did not waver from the idea of choosing Barrett to replace Ginsburg with another woman on the Supreme Court. In 2018, Barrett was among the top four nominees that Trump met with to replace Justice Anthony Kennedy. He ultimately selected Justice Brett Kavanaugh for the job but reportedly viewed Barrett as an ideal choice for the replacement of Ginsburg in the future. The president ignored pressure from some forces within the White House and in Washington to consider Florida Federal Appeals Court Judge Barbara Lagoa to earn additional political points in the state. The president’s choice of Barrett marks a victory...
    Way back in 1987, the 200th anniversary of the “assembly of demigods” (that’s what Thomas Jefferson called it, and he wasn’t there) that drafted the U.S. Constitution in Philadelphia, my then-employer the Star Tribune allowed me to go a little crazy and write a 30-part series on the resulting document titled “Our Constitution: The Myth That Binds Us.” (It eventually came out as a book. It’s out of print, but you can usually find used copies on Amazon). By calling the Constitution a “myth” (although it is actually a concrete physical piece of parchment, plus amendments), I meant “the Constitution” as the imaginary perfect system in which Americans are raised to believe, like the Bible.  By “Binds Us,” I referred to the belief in the power of the Constitution to keep the U.S. system of politics and democracy and guarantees of fundamental rights on track. Except for a small matter...
              Live from Music Row Thursday morning on The Tennessee Star Report with Michael Patrick Leahy – broadcast on Nashville’s Talk Radio 98.3 and 1510 WLAC weekdays from 5:00 a.m. to 8:00 a.m. –  host Leahy welcomed all-star panelist Dr. Carol Swain to the studio along with former Tennessee attorney general Paul Summers on the newsmaker line. During the second hour, Summers and Swain weighed in on how both private and public schools have been leaving out the instruction of the U.S. Constitution and civics citing that many of the protesters out there today are 30 years old or younger. Leahy: Carol Swain the all-star panelist and the former professor at Vanderbilt. Good morning Carol. How are you? Swain: Good morning. It’s my pleasure to be here. Leahy: A  lot of stuff going on. Swain: I know. Leahy: A lot going on. I don’t know if you...
    Veteran journalist and author Bob Woodward said on Thursday’s broadcast of MSNBC’s “Deadline” that President Donald Trump was “putting a dagger in the Constitution” with his comments about not committing to a peaceful transfer of power. Anchor Nicolle Wallace said, “This statement yesterday is about obliterating the Constitution. Rod Rosenstein was reported to have whipped votes for the 25th Amendment. No one has challenged what Mattis and Coats have said. Since your book came out, I heard they have felt that way for a very long time. I wonder if it escalates things when it’s not just the obliteration of norms, but also obliterating the Constitution?” Woodward said, “It’s not just challenging the Constitution. It’s putting a dagger in the Constitution. For the president of the United States to do that is — you know, I don’t know whether there’s language to describe this and what’s happened is that Trump...
    He's making it very clear where his loyalties begin and end. Donald Trump is not fighting for reelection because he's already lost. He's fighting to stay in power, and he'll do it by any means including refusing to abide by the results of the election. He's promised that, out loud. Republican senators—basically unanimously—are helping him, and none more so than Texas's John Cornyn. When CNN's Manu Raju asked him about Trump's refusal to commit to a peaceful transition of power, he did say "no," it was not appropriate. When asked if the Republicans would do something about it if Trump refused to leave office? "I'm not going to answer a hypothetical," Cornyn said. Then he actually went onto the Senate floor and said "It's terrifying to imagine what might come next," if Democrats win the Senate and move to balance the Supreme Court. He's not terrified by a Trump coup....
    Stupid and evil are no way to go through life, but when it comes to the Constitution, far-left CNN has perfected this toxic mix. The evil side of CNNLOL has been well-documented, but wait till you get a look at the stupid side. You would think a cable news anchor, someone handed the responsibility of reporting on and discussing national politics, would be familiar with some of the most basic elements of the U.S. Constitution. You know, like what it says about stuff and how the laws work and whatnot. You would think these anchors would know more than the average citizen, more than a college dropout such as yours truly. But what we have on our hands with the media is not just evil, but a breathtaking amount of ignorance. You see, knowledge and experience have nothing to do with becoming a journalist or a reporter or even an...
    House Speaker Nancy Pelosi accused President Donald Trump of “trying to have the Constitution of the United States swallow Clorox.” Pelosi, addressing Trump’s plan to “wait and see” rather than simply accept the election results, pivoted to reference his suggestion that doctors find an injectable process to “disinfect” the blood and eradicate coronavirus. (RELATED: Pelosi Fires Back At Trump: ‘Ice Cream In the Freezer’ Is Better Than ‘Lysol In Somebody’s Lungs’) WATCH: Pelosi began by saying that Trump represented a “unique threat” to American democracy, asking how Republicans would explain to their children what he was doing. “We have a president of the United States who wants to discredit people’s vote,” she said in reference to Trump’s refusal to “commit” to a peaceful transfer of power following the election. “We’re gonna have to see what happens,” he said. WATCH: President Trump is asked if he will commit to a...
    Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg served on the Supreme Court for 27 years until her death late last week. Her tenacious advocacy for the rights of those she perceived as legally disadvantaged, combined with her outsized intellect, moved the vector of the court’s direction as few justices have in history. She championed the rights of women and members of the LGBTQ community. Justice Ginsburg enjoyed a famous public friendship with the late Justice Antonin Scalia. She was a liberal Democrat. He was a conservative Republican. She believed in the “living Constitution.” He believed that the meaning of the Constitution was fixed at the time of its ratification. She believed that the Constitution enabled Congress to right any national wrong. He believed that Congress was limited to those federal areas of governance delegated to it by the Constitution. Yet, many times, they ended up on the same side of Supreme Court rulings....
    As tens of thousands of protesters cheered him on, Banusya went to a stage near the Grand Palace for the Sidijiravattangul Bangkok Ceremony, hoping he would not dare to do most of the Thais. He spoke out against the monarchy of the country.Key points: Student-led protests have been on the rise since mid-July Protesters are demanding the resignation of the prime minister and the reform of the monarchy Protest leader Rang says he is expected to be arrested A 21-year-old university student, nicknamed “Rang”, has become one of the faces of Thailand. Emerging student-led protest movement. In front of a large screen, a third-year sociology student presented his image to the crowd and addressed the largest anti-establishment rally since the 2014 regime change, which saw Army General Prayut San-Ocha seize power. “[We have] The same ideology, the same purpose, the same goals: Is it not right to end the...
    Sign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York City Queens drive-in to launch with ‘Phantom’ While we unfortunately can’t see “The Phantom of the Opera” on Broadway right now, how about a screening of a previously filmed performance at a socially-distanced drive-in movie theater in Queens, with a few live performances thrown in for good measure? Radial Park, described as “an interactive, theatrical drive-in experience,” will launch on Sat. Sept. 26 at Halletts Point Play, a 50,000 square-foot open space in Astoria. Spectators can sit in individual cars or at picnic tables. On Saturday, along with a screening of “The Phantom of the Opera at the Royal Albert Hall,” Broadway performers Derrick Davis and Ali Ewoldt will lead a pre-show  concert with an 11-piece orchestra. Opening night on Oct. 1 will include both “Phantom” and a late-night screening of “Purple...
    Tuesday, during an interview that aired on Fox Business Network’s “Cavuto: Coast to Coast,” former House Speaker John Boehner (R-OH) made the case President Donald Trump, and the U.S. Senate should proceed to fill the U.S. Supreme Court vacancy left by Ruth Bader Ginsburg’s passing. Boehner acknowledged the procedure could be considered a “rush,” but said it was likely the nominee was already confirmed by the U.S. Senate once before for a position on a lower court. “The Constitution is pretty clear,” he said. “The President will nominate someone, and it is up to the United States Senate to confirm them or not. But Republicans have the majority in the United States Senate. The President is a Republican. And I know what was said a couple of years ago, but the Constitution lays out the case where the Senate can proceed. And frankly, I hope they do. Having this hang...
    The U.S. has for decades been locked in a reckoning over the breadth of the language in the Second Amendment protecting the right to keep and bear arms. But in recent months, national attention has instead shifted to the lesser-considered subject of its first clause: "A well regulated Militia." Armed self-described militia members have shown up with growing frequency this summer to racial justice protests held in the wake of the deaths of George Floyd and Breonna Taylor at the hands of police. Their appearance, usually carrying rifles and dressed in military-style gear, has ratcheted up the tension at demonstrations and the risk of confrontation. [ READ: Trump Defends Kenosha Shooting Suspect ]Militia groups have also attended gun rights rallies and demonstrations protesting coronavirus lockdown measures in several states this year. Most recently, miltia members openly marched among the crowd of armed demonstrators that swarmed the Michigan capitol Thursday during a...
    Liu Jie/Xinhua via ZUMA For indispensable reporting on the coronavirus crisis, the election, and more, subscribe to the Mother Jones Daily newsletter.I imagine that a lot of Republicans are getting a good laugh at Jamelle Bouie’s column in the New York Times this morning: If Democrats are willing to treat a Republican-dominated Supreme Court as a partisan and ideological foe, if they’re willing to change or transform it rather than accede to its view of the Constitution — two very big ifs — then they’re one important step along the path to challenging judicial supremacy, the idea that the courts, and the courts alone, determine constitutional meaning. The Supreme Court has the power to interpret the Constitution and establish its meaning for federal, state and local government alike. But this power wasn’t enumerated in the Constitution and isn’t inherent in the court as an institution. Instead, the court’s power to...
    Tuesday on Fox News Channel’s “Fox & Friends,” Sen. Martha McSally (R-AZ), who is in the middle of a tough election fight with Mark Kelly, dismissed the suggestion her race might sway her vote on the confirmation of a Supreme Court justice. McSally said she was relying on the Constitution for her decision. “The guiding document is the Constitution. Look, I put my life on the line for 26 years in the military,” she said. “I raised my right hand at the oath of the Constitution. The president nominates, and the Senate confirms, and we will do that without delay. It will be a thorough process. It is very important for the future of our country to fill this position, and we will go through that process, and we will vote. And I, very quickly, said on Friday this Senate should vote on President Trump’s nominee.” “You see the left,”...
    White House press secretary Kayleigh McEnany blasted Democrats who want to delay the Supreme Court nomination until after the inauguration – saying that they are showing a “blatant disregard for the U.S. Constitution.” “Nancy Pelosi, Chuck Schumer, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez have shown blatant disregard for the U.S. Constitution,” the press secretary told reporters during a press briefing on Tuesday. "Apparently it’s now a high crime and misdemeanor for a lawfully elected president of the United States to exercise his constitutional duty,” she added, pointing to Article II Section 2 of the Constitution, which states the president shall nominate justices for the Supreme Court when a vacancy occurs. “There’s nothing in the Constitution that says the president stops being the president in an election year,” she said. McEnany pointed to a number of Democrats threatening impeachment if the president moved forward with nominating a new Supreme Court justice after the death of Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg last...
    Atlanta Journal-Constitution, Getty Carla Gugino plays journalist Kathy Scruggs for the CBS show Manhunt: Deadly Games Kathleen “Kathy” Scruggs was a reporter for the Atlanta Journal-Constitution who broke the story that the FBI was investigating security guard Richard Jewell as a possible suspect in the 1996 Atlanta Summer Olympics bombing. That article — headlined “FBI Suspects ‘Hero’ Guard May Have Planted Bomb” — set off a media firestorm around Jewell from which he never really recovered, even after being cleared of the crime. To coincide with the premiere of Manhunt: Deadly Games, a Spectrum original series about the bombing that makes its broadcast TV premiere Monday, September 21 on CBS, here is what you need to know about Scruggs, including how she died and how she too never fully recovered from the debacle of the 1996 Atlanta bombing.Scruggs Died of an Overdose in 2001VideoVideo related to the sad...
    In the wake of the death of Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsberg, different parties are preparing a response. The Republicans say President Trump should nominate a replacement and proceed to seek the advice and consent of the Senate as prescribed by the Constitution. The Democrats say they will burn every city in the country to the ground, terrorize innocent citizens, bring the economy to a standstill and in short continue doing what they’ve been doing for the last four months. NeverTrumpers say they will support the Democrats because Donald Trump is a danger to the Constitution. Republicans say they want to appoint a justice who will honor the vision of the American founders and respect the text of the Constitution as written. Democrats say they want to appoint a justice who will interpret the Constitution as a living document on which all the living words are able to jump...
    Democrats are “saying they’ll burn down the Constitution,” Sen. Josh Hawley, R-Mo., claimed on Monday following some on the left vowing to pack the Supreme Court if elected. “They lost the election in 2016, they lost the White House," Hawley said on "Fox & Friends." "So, listen, if they win back those things, they’ll be able to confirm and nominate their own justices in the future, but, to say because they lost elections that now that they will break all of our Constitutional norms and standards, they’ll pack courts, they’ll conduct impeachment hearings to stop a president from carrying forward his Constitutionally authorized privileges and responsibilities. That’s insane.” MARKEY THREATENS TO PACK SUPREME COURT, ABOLISH FILIBUSTER IF TRUMP FILLS SEAT As President Trump moves to nominate a candidate to fill the seat of Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, who died Friday, there are a growing number of Democrats threatening to implement a radical...
    The death of Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg has stirred up partisan controversy over who to filling her vacancy, but Fox News host Mark Levin told “Fox & Friends Weekend” that the Democrats aren’t respecting the Constitution by holding up the process. “It’s a very strange thing, this Democrat Party,” he said. “First of all, they hate the Constitution because they’ve spent the last several months pulling out statues of the founders and saying that the Constitution was adopted by slaveholders. Then they wave it around to justify the destruction of the Constitution.” Levin explained that Ginsburg’s seat does not belong to her, nor does it belong to anybody. But the Constitution states that the president has the power to choose a nominee. PELOSI WON'T RULE OUT USING IMPEACHMENT AS OPTION TO STOP TRUMP SUPREME COURT PICK “What the Democrats want to do is sabotage this entire process,” he...
    CNN anchor Jake Tapper pressed Democratic Minnesota Sen. Amy Klobuchar on a statement she made in 2016 about the U.S. Constitution mandating that the Senate confirm President Barack Obama’s Supreme Court nominee. The Sunday morning “State of the Union” conversation centered around Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell’s stated intention to bring to a vote President Donald Trump’s pick to replace the late Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, who died Friday of metastatic pancreatic cancer. Seeming to acknowledge that there isn’t much Democrats can do alone to stop any confirmation, Klobuchar appealed to Republicans to follow the so-called “McConnell Rule” and wait until after a new president is installed. “I want to ask you about what you said in 2016 after Merrick Garland’s nomination to the Supreme Court didn’t even get a hearing,” Tapper said before quoting Klobuchar’s words. “The Constitution is clear, the Senate must consider the president’s nominee and then...
            by Glenn Ellmers  Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg died Friday at the age of 87. Her passing was not unexpected. On the contrary, her steadily worsening condition over the past several years left her increasingly incapacitated. After Donald Trump’s election in 2016, many on the Left expressed dismay that she chose to stay on the court rather than resign and let President Obama nominate her replacement. Liberals feared she would die during Trump’s presidency, and her seat—which they regard almost as their sacrosanct property—would be in the hands of a Republican president and Republican-controlled Senate. That fear proved prescient. But few expected the moment would come so close to the November election. Ginsburg made a political calculation. Even on her deathbed, she was acutely aware of the political implications of her passing: she issued a statement expressing her “fervent wish” that she will “not be replaced...
    Amy Coney Barrett, a judge currently serving on the United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit — which includes parts of Illinois, Indiana and Wisconsin — is considered the most likely person to replace Ruth Bader Ginsburg on the Supreme Court, Forbes reported. As previously reported by The Inquisitr, President Donald Trump has promised to move “without delay” to fill the Supreme Court seat that was vacated following Ginsburg’s death Friday. And the person most likely to fill that job, according to several analyses, is Barrett, a reliably conservative jurist who was herself appointed to the federal judiciary by Trump, in 2017. She Was Considered To Replace Anthony Kennedy In 2018 Following the death of Anthony Kennedy in 2018, one name that came up in the discussions about who would replace him was that of Barrett. However, that job ultimately went to Brett Kavanaugh, although Trump wasn’t prepared...
    The late Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg in 2016 said “nothing in the Constitution” prevents a president from nominating to fill a court seat. Ginsburg was reacting to the upcoming fight over a replacement for her friend and colleague Justice Antonin Scalia, who passed away. Then-President Barack Obama had nominated Judge Merrick Garland to fill Scalia’s seat only to be denied a Senate hearing by Majority Leader Mitch McConnell. “I think he is about as well qualified as any nominee to this court,” Ginsburg said of Garland, according to a July 2016 report from The New York Times. “Super bright and very nice, very easy to deal with. And super prepared. He would be a great colleague.” WASHINGTON, DC – MARCH 16: U.S. President Barack Obama (R) and Vice President Joe Biden (L) stands with Judge Merrick B. Garland (R), while nominating him to the US Supreme Court, in...
              Before I go any further I would like for you to indulge me because there are some men and women in this room that I have to thank. Thank you because I am on the ballot on November 3rd. It’s because of them when I was taken off the ballot and this is not part of my speech so this doesn’t have enough time. When I was taken off the ballot it was done in such a way that the filing deadline was passed and I could not run as a Democrat or a Republican or an Independent. My only option was a write-in which we all know is a shot in the dark and the members of the House and the Senate they just surprised me they blew me away when they changed the law to where an incumbent that...
              FRANKLIN, Tennessee — Members of the Tennessee-based 917 Society celebrated Constitution Day Thursday, and some speakers expressed optimism that more widespread knowledge of the U.S. Constitution can help overcome this country’s current divisions. 917 Society members gathered at the Elks Lodge in Franklin. Nashville businessman Lee Beaman addressed the current social unrest and offered solutions. “I know that I’m preaching to the choir, but I am frustrated with a lot of the stuff that’s going on in this country today, and I know that you all probably feel the same way,” Beaman said. “There’s the lack of respect that we have that’s exhibited in violence and riots against the police, against the military, against the foundations of this country, and tearing statues down,” Beaman said. Beaman said the people who make up what he called the “Hate America Crowd” worried him, especially since...
              Live from Music Row Thursday morning on The Tennessee Star Report with Michael Patrick Leahy – broadcast on Nashville’s Talk Radio 98.3 and 1510 WLAC weekdays from 5:00 a.m. to 8:00 a.m. –  hosts Leahy and Swain discussed the National Constitution Bee competition to take place on October 24 at the Springhill Suites Marriott in Brentwood, Tennessee. During the third hour, Leahy and Swain discuss the details of the National Constitution Bee which is open to all 8th grade thru 12th-grade students nationwide. Leahy: I want to segway to a couple of interesting things today. September 17, 1787, the Constitution was signed at Constitutional Hall in Philadelphia. It was then sent to the states for ratification. So this is Constitution Day and it seems relevant. We also had some questions about our National Constitution Bee which is going to be held here in Brentwood, Tennessee...
    The ACLU says it will not back down from fighting back against the unlawful bans. Lubbock is the latest city in Texas to try to declare itself a "sanctuary city for the unborn." It's one of several municipalities that are openly defying the Constitution by functionally enacting a complete abortion ban within their borders. Since mid-2019, at least 13 cities in Texas have considered such ordinances, and 11 cities in East Texas passed an anti-abortion sanctuary city law. None of those cities had an abortion clinic. Almost immediately, seven of those East Texas cities were sued by the American Civil Liberties Union Each city's ordinance declared abortion providers "criminal entities," attempting to criminalize a constitutional right. The ACLU dropped the lawsuit after all the municipalities removed the criminal entity language. 
    Asian markets inch higher despite Wall Street slump, coronavirus fears Most Expensive New Cars in America Most Americans don't know these lucrative Social Security "secrets" Ad Microsoft Incredible Blanket Puts Humans In A Deep Sleep, Melting Stress Away Ad Microsoft 23 Gadgets That Could Sell Out Before the Holidays Ad Microsoft Air Force Photo `" /> Full screen 1/28 SLIDES © Ted Mielczarek // Flickr A guide to the Bill of Rights and other constitutional amendments For more than a decade after the Revolutionary War, America was governed by the Articles of Confederation, which provided for only a...
    NYC public school costs projected to grow by $32 million a week: fiscal watchdog Stephen A. Smith got roasted on the internet for comparing Paul George to Dwight Howard What the Constitution Means to Me coming to Amazon in filmed version If you need to brush up on the Constitution before the election, Amazon's got you covered. © Provided by Entertainment Weekly Joan Marcus, 2019 They announced on Thursday that a filmed version of the Tony-nominated play What the Constitution Means to Me will premiere Oct. 16 on Amazon Prime Video. Starring the show's creator Heidi Schreck, the show was filmed during the final week of its Broadway run by director Marielle Heller (A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood). Schreck has also signed an overall deal with Amazon Studios to create additional content to premiere exclusively on Prime Video.  What the Constitution Means to Me stars Schreck as herself, resurrecting her...
              Dear Virginia Star, On 15 September 1787, the Constitutional Convention in Philadelphia was just two days from adjourning after nearly four months of painstaking negotiations. Yet Col. George Mason of Virginia remained fearful the proposed federal government could one day go rogue. In the waning hours of deliberation, he set out to persuade fellow delegates they were on the verge of codifying a fatal flaw. On that day, with extraordinary foresight, Mason championed a ‘Break In Case of Emergency’ tool which 233 years later is being used to stop out-of-control federal bureaucrats and career politicians. Col. Mason called for a change to Article V, which defines the two-step process for constitutional amendments: first they are proposed, then separately ratified. The ratification step is more widely known: three-fourths of state legislatures (38 in all) must affirm proposed amendments before they are incorporated to our...
    Attorney General Letitia James won a lawsuit against President Donald Trump on Thursday to stop his administration from not counting undocumented immigrants in the census and as mandated in the U.S. Constitution. James was joined by attorneys general from 21 states plus the District of Columbia and 16 other cities in the suit. Three judges from the Southern District of New York ruled on Thursday that the U.S. Constitution explicitly requires all “persons” to be counted and doesn’t limit the count to only citizens. “The constitution is clear:  every person must be counted in the census,” said James Johnson, the NYC Corporation Counsel, who was a part of the suit. “Every. Person. The stakes for this decision were high. It’s not just about congressional representation, though that is essential, nor is it just about federal support though that is needed. This decision is critical because it validates the yet to...
    President Donald Trump’s ban on “Critical Race Theory” in federal employees’ training has exposed one of the major fault lines in America’s culture war, a nakedly authoritarian worldview that is turning coworkers, congregants, and even family members against one another. What caught the president’s attention was a series of Critical Race Theory (CRT) exposés from Christopher Rufo, a citizen journalist who’s published document after document showing woke corporate consultants bilking federal agencies for millions to present this far-left re-education curriculum — even to departments involved in critical national security work. This July, Breitbart obtained an email sent to Army personnel with an attachment pushing a similar message — that “white supremacy” is expressed in “covert” ways such as “exceptionalism” and the statement “there’s only one human race.” Trump’s executive action may be too little, too late, especially if people in private businesses, churches, or other institutions do not similarly fight back against...
    Nati Villanueva FOLLOWMadrid Updated: 09/07/2020 11:28 AM Save «The constitutional rank of the institution, its character as a parliamentary commissioner and the moral authority enjoyed by its resolutions seem to advise the Ombudsman to inhibit any procedural dispute in which his intervention is not essential to adequately fulfill his mission, which it is to guarantee the fundamental rights and public freedoms of citizens. This is one of the reasons that the Ombudsman, Francisco Fernández Marugán, dispatches in 25 pages the 617 briefs in which individuals and different groups asked him to take to the Constitutional Court the Government’s alarm decree and its subsequent regulatory development when assessing its possible unconstitutionality. Marugán considers, and so explicitly points out, that since the matter is already in the hands of the Constitutional Court after the admission, among others, of Vox’s unconstitutionality appeal, it is more prudent not...
    Vanderbilt University’s largest class had a quiz question that claimed the United States Constitution was “designed to perpetuate white supremacy and protect the institution of slavery,” Young Americans for Freedom (YAF) reported Thursday. The quiz was a required part of the university’s Political Science 1150: U.S. Elections 2020 class, an online course that teaches over 800 students, YAF reported. The true/false question asked, “was the Constitution designed to perpetuate white supremacy and uphold the institution of slavery?” Students were marked wrong if they answered “false.” (RELATED: ‘I Absolutely Cancel Myself’: George Washington University Professor Apologizes For Pretending To Be Black) NEW: “Was the Constitution designed to perpetuate white supremacy & protect the institution of slavery?” a true/false question on a quiz at @VanderbiltU asked. One student answered false. The professors marked that answer as wrong. Latest for @YAF: https://t.co/zsbSlLLBRB — Kara Zupkus (@kara_kirsten) September 3, 2020 The quiz was...
    Every public official pledges an oath to uphold the Constitution. Still, according to a new book, President Donald Trump demanded an extra level of loyalty that put him above the United States, Axios reported Sunday. According to a new book by Pulitzer Prize-winning New York Times reporter Michael Schmidt, Trump offered the FBI director position to Gen. John Kelly, who ended up serving as his chief of staff. “Kelly said that he would be loyal to the Constitution and the rule of law, but he refused to pledge his loyalty to Trump,” says the new book, Donald Trump v. The United States. “In addition to illustrating how Trump viewed the role and independence of senior officials who work for him, the president’s demand for loyalty tracked with Comey’s experience with Trump,” wrote Schmidt. Kelly was frequently struck by the fact that Trump was didn’t understand that people that serve in government are loyal to...
    The Constitution, for now, is pretty much dead. Swish that around in your mouth a little bit. Taste it before you simply spit it out as too bitter to be possible. Because if we're being honest, our governing document simply doesn't govern anymore. It is ignored. It is manipulated. It is mocked. Yeah, it's more than possible. In fact, it simply is what it is. And like Dr. Strange once said, “I'm here to protect your reality, d-bag." When Ben Franklin warned he and the rest of those hetero-normative fascists once known as the Founding Fathers were giving us a "republic if we can keep it" they weren't kidding. It turns out, we couldn't keep it. We grew complacent, and just a little cowardly if we're being honest. Content to think that just voting for a bunch of Republicans who hate us at least as...
    NANCY Pelosi shockingly called President Trump an "enemy of the state" and said she will "defend the Constitution from him". The Speaker of the House's comments came on an interview with MSNBC earlier this week. ⚠️ Follow our US election 2020 live blog for the latest news & updates 5Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi called Trump an 'enemy of the state' in an interview with MSNBC earlier this weekCredit: MSNBC 5Trump has been outspoken against widespread mail-in voting, and said he wants law enforcement at poll centers in NovemberCredit: Getty Images - Getty The Democratic California representative slammed Trump over his opposition to mail-in voting, as she accused him of "scaring" people from voting and welcoming foreign interference. "The Russians were there, and they are there now 24/7 trying to interfere in our election – but they're not the only ones," Pelosi told MCNBC. "We take an oath...
              Live from Music Row Wednesday morning on The Tennessee Star Report with Michael Patrick Leahy – broadcast on Nashville’s Talk Radio 98.3 and 1510 WLAC weekdays from 5:00 a.m. to 8:00 a.m. –  host Leahy welcomed all-star panelist Crom Carmichael to the studio. During the second hour, Carmichael discussed election status and the legal provisions as outlined in the United States Constitution. These specific provisions explained in his view, why the postmaster general was concerned about problems that could arise due to the lateness of mail-out and absentee ballots. Carmichael: This is why I say that Hillary Clinton and the Democratic Party have become the party of lawlessness. By the way, Joe Biden has not condemned Hillary Clinton for saying what she’s said. He has said nothing about it. That’s gone viral. So you have to assume that Joe Biden agrees with it. But here’s what’s...
    House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., leveled explosive attacks against President Trump and GOP lawmakers, declaring them as "enemies of the state" over their opposition to universal mail-in voting, but her rhetoric went unmentioned by most of the mainstream media. Pelosi made the comments during an interview on MSNBC, suggesting that Russia isn't the only one who will be interfering in the upcoming election. "The Russians were there and they are there now 24/7 trying to interfere in our election, but they're not the only ones," Pelosi said. "We take an oath to protect and defend the Constitution from all enemies, foreign and domestic. And sadly, the domestic enemies to our voting system and our honoring of the Constitution are right at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue with their allies in the Congress of the United States." PELOSI CALLS TRUMP, GOP LAWMAKERS 'DOMESTIC ENEMIES,' 'ENEMIES OF THE STATE' OVER MAIL-IN VOTING OPPOSITION She later...
            by Robert Curry  In just about 70 days, you and I will be called upon to decide the fate of the American Republic. Make no mistake, this is no ordinary election. American voters have not faced such a momentous choice since an earlier generation was presented with the Constitution and called upon to decide its fate. The vote to ratify the Constitution established a new regime, the amazingly successful American Republic, which showed the world new possibilities for liberty and prosperity and set a standard still unmatched by any country in the history of the world. A vote for the Democratic Party this time is a vote for regime change as surely as the original vote for the Constitution was a vote for regime change. The Democrats have abandoned pretense. They no longer even pretend to embrace the Constitution or the American way of life....
    After Hannah Ferrier’s departure from Under Deck Mediterranean final week (nonetheless not over it, thanks for asking), the crew spent the most recent episode readjusting to life on the yacht. That meant watching constitution company have a bottomless photoshoot whereas on a seashore picnic, bickering with Rob about folding up the slide, serving to Rob put together a candy (but doomed) shock for Jess, and naturally, extra barretts adorning Bugsy’s head. In fact this additionally meant the inside was working with one much less human than they required, in order Jess was making beds and avoiding the pile of laundry increase, she huffed, “I miss Hannah,” whereas additionally saying in her interview, “I actually really feel like I’ve been working my butt off. I imply, I’m doing two individuals’s jobs so I believe I’m deserving of the second stew place.” Not so quick, lady! As a result of after...
    House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., escalated her attacks toward President Trump and GOP lawmakers Monday, describing them as "domestic enemies" over their opposition to universal mail-in voting. During an interview on "MSNBC Live" with anchor Ayman Mohyeldin, Pelosi slammed Trump's repeated rhetoric opposing mail-in voting and accused him of "scaring" potential voters and welcoming Russian interference in the upcoming election. PELOSI BLASTS TRUMP OVER STALLED NEGOTIATIONS FOR NEW CORONAVIRUS RELIEF BILL "The Russians were there and they are there now 24/7 trying to interfere in our election, but they're not the only ones," Pelosi said. "We take an oath to protect and defend the Constitution from all enemies, foreign and domestic. And sadly, the domestic enemies to our voting system and our honoring of the Constitution are right at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue with their allies in the Congress of the United States." The speaker then urged Democrats to "mobilize," "organize" and not allow Trump to...
    Speaker Nancy Pelosi went on a tear against Republicans and President Donald Trump in the fight over mail-in voting on MSNBC Monday, calling them “domestic enemies.” Ayman Mohyeldin questioned Pelosi about concerns that the election results will be accurately counted — bringing up some new poll numbers — and asked, “Can you tell people today that they should not be afraid of what happens on November 3rd?” Pelosi started by saying “don’t pay attention to Donald Trump” because “it’s his goal to scare people from voting, to intimidate them by saying he’s going to have law forcement people at the polls, to welcome in fact Russia intervention into our election, letting Putin decide who will be president instead of the American people.” She scolded Republicans for “enabling” Trump on that front before saying that Russia’s “not the only ones” trying to interfere in the election: “We took an oath to...
    Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi on Monday called Republicans a list of names, saying they are “enemies of the state” and more when speaking about election interference. Pelosi went off on the Republican Party and President Donald Trump during an interview with MSNBC, saying they are “domestic enemies” of America’s voting system. Pelosi’s comments came after Trump spoke at the Republican National Convention. “We take an oath to protect and defend the Constitution from all enemies, foreign and domestic. And sadly, the domestic enemies to our voting system and honoring our Constitution are right at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue with their allies in the Congress of the United States. But again, let’s just get out there and mobilize, organize, and not let the President deter anybody from voting. And again, support the postal system which is election central,” Pelosi said. WATCH: “They’re doing everything they can, suppress the vote...
    House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) demonized Republicans during an MSNBC interview on Monday afternoon, calling them “enemies of the state” and “domestic enemies.” Pelosi’s comments come as violent riots from left-wing activists have plagued cities across the U.S. in recent months. “We take an oath to protect and defend the Constitution from all enemies, foreign and domestic,” Pelosi said. “And sadly the domestic enemies to our voting system and our, honoring our Constitution are right [at] 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue with their allies in the Congress of the United States.” “But again, let’s just get out there, mobilize, organize, and not let the president deter anybody from voting and again, support the postal system which is election central,” she continued. “They’re doing everything they can, suppress the vote, with your actions, scare people, intimidate by saying law enforcement will be there, diminish the role of the postal system in all of...
    Thousands are expected to stream into D.C. Friday for a major march organized by the Rev. Al Sharpton to protest police brutality. The march comes nearly three months after nationwide protests sparked by the death of George Floyd in Minneapolis and amid continued coronavirus restrictions. It will also be just a day after President Donald Trump accepts the Republican nomination for president in an address from the South Lawn of the White House. Here’s everything you need to know about the big event if you’re planning to attend or if you’re looking to navigate around the extensive road closures that will be in effect. Q: What is the march all about? Officially known as the “Commitment March: Get Your Knee Off our Necks,” the march was born out of the protest movement that sprang up in cities across the U.S. after the death of George Floyd, who died...
    Thursday on MSNBC’s “The Beat,” Rep. Maxine Waters (D-CA) said President Donald Trump did not care about the law or Constitution. That makes him “dangerous,” according to Waters. On the House Financial Committee subpoena for the president’s records, Waters said, “It has taken months to get to the point where we’re on the verge of getting those tax records, and the courts ruled against Trump even today. First, Trump was saying that he was immune. Now he is saying that we are overly requested information that we should not have access to. But the judge has ruled against them in that decision today. Now Trump will try to get it all the way back to the Supreme Court, but we’re going to keep fighting.” She added, “No one is above the law. This president has taken the position that he’s immune from prosecution. He’s immune from being indicted, and he basically can...
    Ordering a CBI probe into the death of Sushant Singh Rajput, the Supreme Court on Wednesday said he was a talented actor in the Mumbai film world and died well before his full potential could be realised. The top court said the CBI probe would also be desired justice for Rhea Chakraborty, “as she herself had called for a CBI investigation.” In a 35-page order, Justice Hrishikesh Roy said: “When truth meets sunshine, justice will not prevail on the living alone but after life’s fitful fever, now the departed will also sleep well. Satyameva Jayate.” The top court noted that the dissemination of the real facts through unbiased investigation would certainly result in justice for the innocents, who might be the target of vilification campaign. SSR Case: ED Summons Rumi Jafry for Enquiry; Rhea Chakraborty and Sushant Singh Rajput Were in Talks to Star in His Film “Equally importantly, when...
    Thousands of anti-government protesters seen on August 16, 2020, in Bangkok, Thailand. Vachira Vachira/NurPhoto via Getty Images) Pro-democracy protests have rumbled on for a month in Thailand, with calls for free elections and a new constitution. Now, anti-monarchy sentiment is on the rise, with many calling for a true constitutional monarchy and mocking their king, Rama X. Many people do not dare criticize the monarchy in Thailand because the country operates strict lèse-majesté laws that make it illegal to insult, defame, or threaten any member of the royal family. King Rama X has been waiting out the coronavirus pandemic in Germany since at least March. Multiple outlets have reported that he is in a luxury German hotel with 20 women. The hashtag "Why do we need a king?" trended on Thai-language Twitter after he fled. Visit Insider's homepage for more stories. Pro-democracy protests are growing in size...
    Several of the 2020 Democratic primary candidates favored the abolishment of the Electoral College. Or, as once-confident candidate Elizabeth Warren put it, “I plan to be the last American president to be elected by the Electoral College.” Furor over the Electoral College among the left arose from the 2000 and 2016 elections. Al Gore and Hillary Clinton, respectively, won the popular votes. But, like three earlier presidents, they lost the Electoral College voting — and with it the presidency. The Founding Fathers saw a purpose in the Electoral College. It ensured that small, rural states would retain importance in national elections. The Electoral College lessened the chance of voting fraud affecting the outcome of a national vote by compartmentalizing the outcome among the various states. It usually turns the presidential election into a contest between two major parties that alone have the resources to campaign nationwide. The college is antithetical...
    During the 2019 session of the New Mexico Legislature, anti-gun Governor Michelle Lujan Grisham and state lawmakers who were elected with the support of New York billionaire Michael Bloomberg rammed legislation through which criminalized the private sale of firearms, over the strong objections of law-abiding citizens and law enforcement.  Opponents warned that the measure would be intrusive, ineffective and unenforceable. KRQE recently reported that in the year since that law went into effect on July 1, 2019, court records show no one has been charged with violating it.  This should come as no surprise to those who fought against this legislation, warning that it would be ineffective and unenforceable.  It certainly hasn’t stopped or even slowed crime in the Duke City. Yet amidst the reporting on the state’s failed so-called universal background check law, and even with the red flag gun confiscation law recently having taken effect, anti-gun members of the Albuquerque City Council are calling for more...
    Several of the 2020 Democratic primary candidates favored the abolishment of the Electoral College. Or, as once-confident candidate Elizabeth Warren put it, “I plan to be the last American president to be elected by the Electoral College.” Furor over the Electoral College among the left arose from the 2000 and 2016 elections. Al Gore and Hillary Clinton, respectively, won the popular votes. But, like three earlier presidents, they lost the Electoral College voting — and with it the presidency. The Founding Fathers saw a purpose in the Electoral College. It ensured that small, rural states would retain importance in national elections. The Electoral College lessened the chance of voting fraud affecting the outcome of a national vote by compartmentalizing the outcome among the various states. It usually turns the presidential election into a contest between two major parties that alone have the resources to campaign nationwide. The college is antithetical...
    On Sunday, Trump’s trade advisor Peter Navarro attempted to justify the president’s memorandum on coronavirus relief by suggesting that God had something to do with creating executive orders. White House trade adviser Peter Navarro defends Trump’s executive orders: “I mean the Lord, and the Founding Fathers created executive orders, because of partisan bickering and divided government. That’s what we have here.” pic.twitter.com/exduSYOtGi — Talking Points Memo (@TPM) August 9, 2020 The narrative is that congress is simply a “swamp” and so Trump took action via something that was created by God and our founding fathers to bypass the legislative body. Of course, that is the opposite of what was written into the Constitution when it describes three separate, but equal branches of government. In a sense, Navarro is claiming that our founding fathers created a mechanism for the president to act as king. He backs that up...
    John E. Finn, Wesleyan University Many public health professionals and politicians are urging or requiring citizens to wear face masks to help slow the spread of the COVID-19 virus. Some Americans have refused, wrongly claiming mask decrees violate the Constitution. An internet search turns up dozens of examples. “Costco Karen,” for instance, staged a sit-in in a Costco entrance in Hillsboro, Oregon after she refused to wear a mask, yelling “I am an American … I have rights.” A group called Health Freedom Idaho organized a protest against a Boise, Idaho, mask mandate. One protester said, “I’m afraid where this country is headed if we just all roll over and abide by control that goes against our constitutional rights.” As one protester said, “The coronavirus doesn’t override the Constitution.” Speaking as a constitutional law scholar, these objections are nonsense. The objections It is not always clear why anti-maskers think government...
    With each passing day, it seems, the Trump administration seems intent on replaying the leadup to the English Revolution. Like King James I of England (aka James VI of Scotland), Trump believes that he, to quote James’ tract of 1598, “The True Law of Free Monarchies,” “is above the law,” accountable only to God. He asserted in a July, 2019 speech that Article II of the Constitution means “I have to the right to do whatever I want as president.” Like James’ son, Charles I, who ruled England for 11 years without a parliament, Trump is increasingly governing through executive orders rather than making laws with the House and Senate. Attorney General William Barr, Trump’s legal theorist, has put forward the notion that the president’s powers are “undivided and absolute.” Even more astonishing, Barr wrote in his June 2018 unsolicited memo to the Trump administration that “The Constitution itself places no limit on the president’s authority...
    Peter C. Herman August 10, 2020 10:00AM (UTC) With each passing day, it seems, the Trump administration seems intent on replaying the leadup to the English Revolution. Like King James I of England (aka James VI of Scotland), Trump believes that he, to quote James' tract of 1598, "The True Law of Free Monarchies," "is above the law," accountable only to God. He asserted in a July, 2019 speech that Article II of the Constitution means "I have to the right to do whatever I want as president." Like James' son, Charles I, who ruled England for 11 years without a parliament, Trump is increasingly governing through executive orders rather than making laws with the House and Senate.  : Attorney General William Barr, Trump's legal theorist, has put forward the notion that the president's powers are "undivided and absolute." Even more astonishing, Barr wrote in his June 2018 unsolicited...
    The United States Department of Justice / Public domain Maggie Haberman tweeted something the other day that I found remarkable. Promoting a story on President Trump’s about voting by mail, the New York Times White House correspondent wrote that Trump was “accelerating his attacks on the integrity of the elections” because he was “unable to stop [Joe] Biden’s rise or modulate his own behavior.” Even facing humiliation in November, the president can’t control himself or stop tilting at conspiratorial windmills. He’s a cokehead on a bender, in other words, or a toddler who needs a nap, only he has the federal government at his disposal and no compunction about using it to his own ends. So we can agree, then, that Donald Trump is the most dangerous man in America (and if you believe his niece, the world.) But barring a dramatic reversal, he’ll leave office in six months...
    Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton slammed New York Attorney General Letitia James for trying to dissolve the National Rifle Association and welcomed the organization to his state saying that “in Texas we care about what the founders put in the Constitution.” Paxton made the comment Sunday on “Fox & Friends Weekend,” three days after James announced that her office has filed a lawsuit against the National Rifle Association and its leadership, including Executive Vice President Wayne LaPierre. On Sunday Paxton said he is “absolutely” welcoming the NRA to come to Texas because “they have done amazing work over the years defending the Second Amendment.” “I can tell you one thing in Texas that we care about, and I think we will always care about, is God and guns,” he said, explaining that the First Amendment protects free speech and religious expression and the Second Amendment protects the right of people to own guns. James accused the NRA of having "a culture of self-dealing," taking...
    (CNN)Last week, John Lewis took his final leave of the US Capitol. He is home, after a long and noble life of service. John deeply believed that the right to vote was "almost sacred." He risked his life in Selma, Alabama, Nashville, Tennessee, and so many other places to protect the right of every American to vote.Sadly, Americans' faith in our electoral system -- a cornerstone of our democracy -- continues to come under attack by entities that wish us ill. And the right to vote -- the cause that John committed his life's work to -- is threatened by a series of misguided decisions in recent years by the Supreme Court and other federal courts. Dick DurbinIn recent years, we have witnessed seemingly endless attacks on the right to vote. Multiple state legislatures have sought to restrict that right through discriminatory photo identification requirements, cuts to early voting, voting...
    I’m not being hyperbolic or melodramatic when I say that democracy itself is on the line on November 3. Donald Trump has been on a mission to subvert our democracy and to push it toward an autocracy. No president has ever disavowed democracy like Trump. No president has ever wanted to change our democratic way of life like Trump. Trump has shown little interest or intent in following our Constitution. He is not abiding by the emoluments clause. He breaks norms and rules at will. He does not recognize that the three branches of government are co-equal. He operates as if the executive branch has total power. Our democracy is not based on the executive branch having absolute power. It requires that the three branches have separate powers in a check-and-balances system. Trump impugns democracy because it limits his power and requires him to be held accountable. Trump has crossed...
              BRENTWOOD, Tennessee – The Star News Education Foundation announced Wednesday the first ever National Constitution Bee competition will take place on Saturday, October 24 in Brentwood, Tennessee, where the Grand Champion will be awarded an unprecedented education scholarship of $25,000. In addition to the announcement, organizers have launched a new website, GuidetotheConstitution.org, where Bee contestants may review the new podcast series of the groundbreaking book, The Guide to the Constitution and the Bill of Rights for Secondary Students. All secondary school students in the country currently enrolled in grades 8 through 12 and can register online for the competition here at www.nationalconstitutionbee.org. Originally, the 2020 National Constitution Bee was to be held in two rounds in a number of locations across the country. However, the COVID-19 pandemic changed everything. Undeterred, Leahy and his team of organizers decided to consolidate the series into a...
    As I write this I find myself in the beautiful state of Pennsylvania. English Quaker William Penn founded Pennsylvania in 1681 when King Charles II granted him a charter for over 45,000 square miles of land. This charming landscape has the distinct honor of providing the setting for the gatherings of the Congressional Congress, the signing of the Declaration of Independence and the birthplace of the longest living form of national Government the world has ever known, and may never know again. The Constitution of the United States of America. What we have, according to my friend David Barton, is unique and unmistakably earmarked by the God of Heaven. “The Framers of the Constitution declared that the forming of that document was a miracle of God. Writing to Thomas Jefferson just a few weeks after the Convention, Constitution signer James Madison said: “It is impossible to conceive the degree of...
    In the 2000s, Jon Turteltaub directed the film National Treasure and its sequel, stories rich with American history that kick off with a character played by Nicolas Cage stealing the Declaration of Independence to access a secret code hidden within. This year, he’s turned his talents to trying to stop President Donald Trump from “stealing the Constitution,” metaphorically speaking, and hopes he’s cracked the code for speaking to Republicans in a short film he created for the anti-Trump PAC The Lincoln Project. The six-minute film, titled “Wake Up,” debuted on an online town hall held by The Lincoln Project Thursday evening and tells the story of a family, all Trump supporters, in which the son was in a car accident and has been in a coma for three-and-a-half years. “Wow, wow,” says the son. “Did I miss anything interesting?” What comes next is several minutes of the family awkwardly recounting the events of...
    In the annals of American jurisprudence, few legal adages have gained wider currency or proven more adaptable to changing times and circumstances than the phrase, “The Constitution is not a suicide pact.” While the exact provenance of the dictum is unclear, the expression is most often attributed to a dissenting opinion written in 1949 by the late Supreme Court Associate Justice Robert Jackson in the case of Terminiello v. Chicago. Terminiello is one of the Supreme Court’s major decisions on “hate speech.” By a vote of 5-4, the court overturned the criminal conviction of Father Arthur Terminiello, a suspended Catholic priest, who had been charged with disturbing the peace for delivering a virulently anti-Semitic speech that incited rioting and vandalism. Jackson, whose unique and storied legal career included a leave of absence he took from the Supreme Court in 1945 to serve as the chief U.S. prosecutor at the Nuremberg trials, refused to join the majority, arguing instead that Terminiello’s...
    The Rev. James Lawson, a major leader and tactician in the civil rights movement, spoke at Rep. John LewisJohn LewisObama to speak at John Lewis's funeral The Hill's Morning Report - Presented by Facebook - Brawls on Capitol Hill on Barr and COVID-19 VP hopefuls jockey for position as Biden's final decision nears MORE’s (D-Ga.) funeral Thursday, saying Lewis practiced politics the nation “need[s] more desperately than ever before.” Lawson, a close associate of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. who trained many of the movement’s leaders in nonviolent tactics, said Lewis “practiced not the politics that we call bipartisan.” “John Lewis practiced the politics that we the people of the U.S. need more desperately than ever before — the politics of the Declaration of Independence, the politics of the preamble to the Constitution of the United States," he said. “We do not need bipartisan politics if we’re going to celebrate...
    (Reuters) - President Donald Trump on Thursday raised the possibility of delaying the Nov. 3 U.S. presidential election, though the Constitution bestows that power on Congress, not the president. Below are some facts around what changing the date of the election would entail: CONGRESSIONAL POWER The Constitution gives Congress the power to set the date of the presidential election. Since 1845, that day has been every four years on the first Tuesday after the first Monday in November, which in 2020 is Nov. 3. Even if Trump declared a state of emergency due to the coronavirus, he would not be permitted to change the day, legal experts said. "President Trump has absolutely no legal authority to delay the election," said Joshua Douglas, a professor at the University of Kentucky and an election law expert. Douglas noted that every presidential election since 1845 has gone forward as scheduled, even in the...
    Igor Derysh July 30, 2020 2:56PM (UTC) President Donald Trump floated the idea of delaying the election on Thursday amid his ongoing poor performance in national polls, but he has no authority to change when an election is held. Trump suggested that the country should "delay the election" as he trailed presumptive Democratic nominee Joe Biden by an average of more than eight points in national polls. Trump made the remark while repeating the same false claims he has pushed for months about voting by mail. : Despite Trump's attacks on voting by mail, Republicans have desperately tried to convince their voters to use mail-in ballots amid the ongoing coronavirus pandemic. The practice has been shown to be safe from both disease and fraud, according to research.  Some states already have all-mail elections without any issues, while all but a handful of states have expanded their rules about voting by mail to allow...
    The Johnson County Indiana Sheriff’s Office announced on Thursday that it will not be enforcing the governor’s mask order, informing residents that they will only “continue to enforce the law as guided by the Constitution of the United States.” “Governor Holcomb has enacted an executive order to mandate mask wearing in public places beginning Monday, July 27, 2020. As your elected Sheriff, I want to address this executive order and my stance on it,” Sheriff Duane E. Burgess wrote in a statement shared to the sheriff’s office Facebook page on Thursday: The Johnson County Sheriff’s Office will NOT be enforcing the executive order. We will continue to enforce the law as guided by the Constitution of the United States, the Constitution of the State of Indiana, and those laws which are put into place by our elected legislators, as we are sworn to do. Burgess asked residents to refrain from contacting...
    Loren Culp, center, receives his honor from Richard Mack, left, and Rick Dalton, right, of the Constitutional Sheriffs and Peace Officers Association conference in October 2019. The seep of far-right extremism into mainstream Republican politics continues apace in the Pacific Northwest—where the Oregon GOP has already nominated a QAnon conspiracy theorist for the state’s U.S. Senate race—as the likelihood looms that a rural police chief who is deeply connected to a radical “constitutionalist” organization and prone to parroting its rhetoric could win the Washington GOP’s gubernatorial primary in August. Loren Culp, the police chief of the northeastern Washington town of Republic, was the top choice of Republican voters in a recent Elway Poll (that was, however, marred by dubious practices that could affect its accuracy), leading all candidates with 14%; his nearest competitor polled 6%. Culp also happens to be the most recent law enforcement officer to win celebratory honors from the...
    On the campaign trail four years ago, then-candidate Donald Trump promised to protect our God-given rights enshrined in the Constitution and to safeguard all Americans by faithfully enforcing the rule of law. He has fulfilled that promise in just three and half short years as our President. Just a few short weeks ago, the Senate confirmed President Trump’s 200th judicial nominee. This unprecedented number includes two Justices to the Supreme Court and 53 Circuit Court judges. To put this in perspective, President Obama only appointed 55 Circuit Court judges in 8 years. As of today, nearly a fifth of all federal judges are Trump nominees. And for the first time in 40 years, every federal appeals court vacancy has been filled. Our president kept his promise, and our nation’s courts are now filled with constitutionalists who will preserve the promise of America for our children to inherit. But our work here...
    by John E. Finn, Wesleyan University Many public health professionals and politicians are urging or requiring citizens to wear face masks to help slow the spread of the COVID-19 virus. Some Americans have refused, wrongly claiming mask decrees violate the Constitution. An internet search turns up dozens of examples. “Costco Karen,” for instance, staged a sit-in in a Costco entrance in Hillsboro, Oregon after she refused to wear a mask, yelling “I am an American … I have rights.” A group called Health Freedom Idaho organized a protest against a Boise, Idaho, mask mandate. One protester said, “I’m afraid where this country is headed if we just all roll over and abide by control that goes against our constitutional rights.” As one protester said, “The coronavirus doesn’t override the Constitution.” Speaking as a constitutional law scholar, these objections are nonsense. The objections It is not always clear why anti-maskers think...
    Acting Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Secretary Chad Wolf and one of his subordinates  appear to have admitted their agents have been making unconstitutional arrests of Black Lives Matter protesters in Portland during a series of public appearances. Here’s the exact comment. “Anytime that you attack a federal facility such as a courthouse in Portland that is a federal crime,” Wolf told Fox News host Martha MacCallum on Tuesday night. “Attacking federal police officers–law enforcement officers–which they have done for 52 nights in a row is a federal crime. So, the Department, because we don’t have that local support, that local law enforcement support, we are having to go out and proactively arrest individuals and we need to do that because we need to hold them accountable.” Anticipatory arrests, of course, are prohibited under the U.S. Constitution. Those Fox News comments tracked with an explanation given by Deputy Director...
    The Linocln Memorial in 2001. (Getty) The Lincoln Project is a conservative-led political action committee dedicated to removing President Trump from office, according to its homepage. The committee has released several ads casting Trump in a negative light and at least one of its founders, George Conway, has questioned Trump’s behavior, judgement and mental wellness via Twitter. According to the Lincoln Project’s website: Today, we find ourselves divided again – sectionalism in the country and factionalism in government has led to ever uglier examples of how our political system is failing. President Donald Trump and those who sign onto Trumpism are a clear and present danger to the Constitution and our Republic. Only defeating so polarizing a character as Trump will allow the country to heal its political and psychological wounds and allow for a new, better path forward for all Americans. The PAC was announced by Conway,...
    President Donald Trump on Tuesday signed a memorandum declaring undocumented immigrants are not to be counted when the number of U.S. Representatives for each state is allotted. That process, called “apportionment,” occurs every ten years after the official national census is conducted. The U.S. Constitution mandates the census, which is being conducted this year, count “the whole number of persons in each state.” It makes no distinction as to their citizenship status. What Trump is doing is claiming he has the authority to bypass the Constitution and declare undocumented immigrants are not “persons,” and therefore, literally, do not count. The intention and effect, clearly, would be to create more Republican-leaning congressional seats and reduce the number of Democratic-leaning congressional seats. The move follows a hard-fought campaign by the Trump administration to add a citizenship question to the census. The Supreme Court blocked Trump in that fight and it was not included. Legal experts are calling...
    White House Press Secretary Kayleigh McEnany was confronted by ABC News Chief White House Correspondent Jonathan Karl on Tuesday over the Trump administration’s decision to send federal law enforcement into Portland to protect federal property from violent protesters. After McEnany told reporters the administration “will not allow Portland to become the new CHOP like what we saw in Seattle,” Karl asked, “Where in the Constitution does the president derive the authority to send federal law enforcement officers to the streets of American cities against the will of the elected officials in those cities?” “Well, what you’re referring to is Portland, and 40 U.S. Code 1315 gives DHS the ability to deputize officers in any department or agency, like ICE, Customs and Border Patrol, and the Secret Service,” McEnany replied. “Quote, ‘as officers and agents,’ they can be deputized for the duty of in connection with the protection of property...
    ATLANTA (AP) — Federal judge permanently blocks Georgia’s ‘heartbeat’ abortion law, finding that it violates the Constitution. Copyright © 2020 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, written or redistributed.
    Sen. Marsha Blackburn called for Rep. IIhan Omar to resign from her seat in Congress following comments Omar made insisting the current economic and political system in the United States be replaced with something more equitable. "IIhan Omar took an oath to defend and protect the Constitution, not shred it," Blackburn tweeted. "Omar and her Marxist comrades are a threat to our Democracy." Ilhan Omar took an oath to defend and protect the Constitution, not shred it. Omar and her Marxist comrades are a threat to our Democracy. Omar should resign.https://t.co/ujBGxbWXtR— Sen. Marsha Blackburn (@MarshaBlackburn) July 7, 2020 In a speech Tuesday, Omar warned that the current system of government in the U.S. is fundamentally flawed and perpetuates the oppression of minorities and poor people. "As long as our economy and political systems prioritize profit without considering who is profiting, who is being shut out,...
    Failed Georgia Democrat Gubernatorial candidate Stacey Abrams is now blaming the Constitution for what she claimed was the beginning of “the practice of voter suppression” in the United States as the left-winger continues to push for vote-by-mail options in elections nationwide. “Voter suppression was baked into the notion of America,” Abrams recently told Vanity Fair. “It was embedded not in our Declaration, which was a glorious document, but the Constitution began the practice of voter suppression.” She added: We are reaffirming the experiment now, but we are also seeing some terrible examples of the original flaw in our design, which is that we have delegated to the states the ability to determine not eligibility, but access. Luckily, we have 34 states that already have some version of vote-by-mail with no excuses. We have 16 states that do it to a lesser degree. Abrams’ assertion comes after she claimed that “voter fraud...
    All nine justices of the Supreme Court agreed on Monday that states can enforce pledges made by presidential electors to support the presidential candidate preferred by the citizens of their states – and that states can punish electors who break that pledge. By doing so, the Court has affirmed the Electoral College as an important part of our constitutional structure that balances popular sovereignty with the benefits of a federal system in which state governments play a vital role. Every four years, Americans go to the polls to cast votes to make their selection for president. But what Americans are actually selecting are a slate of electors who have pledged to vote, as members of the Electoral College, for the candidate who wins a majority of the popular vote in their state (save for Maine and Nebraska, which employ a slightly more complex allocation system based on the winner of the...
    MOSCOW (Reuters) - President Vladimir Putin said on Sunday constitutional amendments approved in a nationwide vote created the conditions for Russia's "progressive development" for decades to come. One of the changes approved in the week-long vote that ended on July 1 makes it possible for Putin to seek two more terms as president and, if re-elected, to stay in power until 2036. Other changes grant former presidents immunity from prosecution, enshrine a reference in the constitution to God, offer pensions protection and define marriage as a union of a man and a woman. Opponents said the vote was illegal and illegitimate, and an independent monitoring group said the vote was deeply flawed. But Russian news agencies quoted Putin as saying: "I am absolutely convinced that we are doing the right thing in adopting amendments to the current constitution." "They will strengthen our nationhood and create conditions for the progressive development...
    MOSCOW, July 5 (Reuters) – President Vladimir Putin said on Sunday constitutional amendments approved in a nationwide vote created the conditions for Russia’s “progressive development” for decades to come. One of the changes approved in the week-long vote that ended on July 1 makes it possible for Putin to seek two more terms as president and, if re-elected, to stay in power until 2036. Other changes grant former presidents immunity from prosecution, enshrine a reference in the constitution to God, offer pensions protection and define marriage as a union of a man and a woman. Opponents said the vote was illegal and illegitimate, and an independent monitoring group said the vote was deeply flawed. But Russian news agencies quoted Putin as saying: “I am absolutely convinced that we are doing the right thing in adopting amendments to the current constitution.” “They will strengthen our nationhood and create conditions for the...
    General Michael Flynn celebrated the Fourth of July by reciting the oath to the Constitution - followed by the slogan for the far-right QAnon movement.  Flynn, President Donald Trump's former national security adviser, shared a video of himself leading five friends and family members in the oath on Twitter on Saturday night while they celebrated Independence Day in a backyard.  Each member of the group held up their right hand as they repeated after Flynn: 'I, [insert name], do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter: So help me God.'  At the end...
    Click here to read the full article. President Vladimir Putin now has the legal right to remain in power until 2036, after a large majority of Russians voted in favor of Kremlin-backed constitutional reforms. During a week-long national referendum, Russians voted on a package of constitutional amendments that included a provision to reset Putin’s term limits, which would allow the Russian president to serve two more six-year terms after his current one expires in 2024. Putin has served almost continuously as Russia’s president since 2000, with the exception of the period from 2008 to 2012, when he served as prime minister under his hand-picked successor Dmitry Medvedev. Other prominent amendments included a ban on senior officials holding foreign citizenship, a prohibition against “expropriation” of Russian territory, and a provision defining marriage as being between a man and a woman. The new constitution also enshrined ‘social rights’ such as guarantees that...
    The new series "Fox Nation 101: The Constitution" explains the history and significance of one of America's founding documents: The Constitution. The U.S. Constitution is the world's longest surviving written charter of government, penned in 1787 and ratified in 1788. It was brought about by necessity. "As of the summer of 1787, when the Founders came together in Philadelphia, they understood that we wouldn't survive as a country," explained Sen. Mike Lee, R-Utah, in the Fox Nation show. LIMITED TIME OFFER, GET YOUR FIRST MONTH OF FOX NATION FOR $0.99 The United States declared independence on July 4, 1776, laying out the reasoning behind the war fought by the people of the original 13 colonies to free themselves from the Kingdom of Great Britain. Now, the new nation had to determine how to govern itself. "The biggest challenge for the Americans was that they no longer had a king. They no longer had a monarch," said...
    The Supreme Court ruled 5-4 on Tuesday in a high-profile case involving the Constitution's separation of church and state, reversing a lower court ruling that invalidated a scholarship program on the basis that it indirectly provided state funds to religious schools.  Chief Justice John Roberts wrote for the court. He was joined by fellow conservative Justices Clarence Thomas, Samuel Alito, Neil Gorsuch and Brett Kavanaugh. The court's four Democratic appointees dissented.  The case concerned a scholarship program enacted in Montana in 2015, which provided individuals and businesses with up to $150 in tax credits to match donations to private, nonprofit scholarship organizations. Shortly after the program was enacted, the Montana Department of Revenue put in place a rule that barred scholarship recipients from using funds from the program to pay for religious schools.  That rule was intended to comply with a provision of Montana's state constitution, which forbids "any direct...
    In the latest of many cynical and highly political moves, the House of Representatives last week passed a measure that would transform the District of Columbia and make it the 51st state. "DC," as it is often abbreviated by locals, is already a "state." It is a state of corruption, crime and dysfunction. The only reason Democrats favor the nation's capital becoming a state is that it would gain two senators, who would almost certainly be Democrats and its "delegate," Eleanor Holmes Norton, could then vote in the House. Currently, she can only participate in committee hearings with the permission of the chairperson. JOHNNY 'JOEY' JONES: DON'T BAN NATIONAL ANTHEM – SONG INSPIRES US TO FIGHT ADVERSITY, OPPRESSION The Founders specifically prohibited the District from becoming a state, but who listens to them anymore as rioters deface and pull down some of their statues and liberal judges rewrite the Constitution to conform...
    Breaking News — La Paz, Jun 29 . .- Bolivia fired Silvia Lazarte on Monday, who died this Sunday, remembered as the first indigenous woman to preside over a constituent assembly, from which the current Bolivian Magna Carta emerged. A burning chapel in the Chamber of Senators was installed in La Paz in memory of who was “indigenous peasant leader, social fighter and president of the historic Constituent Assembly” of 2006, “woman who promoted the new Political Constitution of the State” of 2009 , stressed the Bolivian Parliament. The Bolivian Legislative Assembly recognized in a statement “their great contribution to the struggle of indigenous women and social movements excluded since the founding of Bolivia, and which managed to be recognized in the new Constitution.” Silvia Lazarte, who died this past Sunday, was born in the Bolivian city of Cochabamba in 1964, of Quechua descent, was an executive of the...
    Russian state pollster VCIOM has published an exit poll showing a vast majority of Russians backing proposed constitutional reforms, days before the end of voting.    The poll, published on Monday, showed that some 76 percent of respondents voted for the package of amendments, which range from better pensions and minimum wages to a reset of term limits that would allow President Vladimir Putin to run again in 2024 and potentially stay in power until 2036. The vote, which the opposition has slammed as illegal and prone to rigging, began last week and is due to end on Wednesday. Russian state pollster VCIOM has published an exit poll showing a vast majority of Russians backing proposed constitutional reforms, days before the end of voting. Above, a man votes at a polling station in Moscow  VCIOM, which stands for the All-Russian Public Opinion Research Centre, polled more than 163,000 voters in...
    Moscow (AFP) – Russia’s opposition is denouncing this week’s vote on President Vladimir Putin’s constitutional reforms as a joke, pointing out that copies of the amended basic law are already on sale in Moscow bookshops. From liberal reformers to Communists, Kremlin critics say the vote — which started last week and ends on Wednesday — is a thinly veiled attempt to keep Putin, 67, in power for life. But other than tepid calls to boycott or vote “No”, the opposition has done little to actively fight the changes. Russia’s top opposition figure Alexei Navalny, who last summer rallied thousands against suspected voter fraud in Moscow, has also shown little interest in combating the reforms. Experts say deep divisions and shrewd moves by the Kremlin are keeping opponents from mounting any serious opposition to Putin’s plans. “A lack of resources, a lack of new faces, a lack of excitement, inspiration and...
    Here is an abridged version of a letter sent on June 22, 2020, by me and two constitutional law experts Bruce Fein and Lou Fisher, to House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, House Judiciary Committee Chairman Jerald Nadler, and the Committee’s Vice Chairman, Jamie Raskin. It touches on where Congress has not exercised its constitutional authority to hold Trump accountable under the law. Dear Madam Speaker, Mr. Chairman, and Mr. Vice Chairman: Former national security adviser and ultra-hawk John Bolton’s disparagement of the articles of impeachment voted against President Donald Trump as “impeachment malpractice” in The Room Where It Happened may be viewed as a rebuke to Congress for failing to discharge its duty and powers to enforce constitutional observance (e.g., impeachment, stiff fines for flouting congressional subpoenas) that has fortified limitless executive power which Mr. Trump recklessly brandishes daily. Impugning Mr. Bolton’s motives does not impeach his impeachment facts or testimony revealing Mr....
    The California legislature voted last week to strike anti-discrimination language from the State Constitution. In a 30-10 vote, the legislature passed the Assembly Constitutional Amendment No. 5 (ACA 5), which removes the words “The state shall not discriminate against, or grant preferential treatment to, any individual or group on the basis of race, sex, color, ethnicity, or national origin,” from California’s constitution, which were put in place in 1996 with Proposition 209. Proposition 209 effectively repealed the state’s Affirmative Action policies, which allowed public institutions such as schools and universities to give preferential treatment to underrepresented groups even if they were less than qualified. As Harvard University has shown, such policies lead to discrimination against Asian Americans especially. The California proposal, which will be given to the people of the Golden State as a new resolution to vote on later this year, aims to bring back Affirmative Action to increase...
    California voters will be given the opportunity to repeal the California Civil Rights Initiative, also known as Proposition 209, that amended the state Constitution to prohibit discrimination or preferential treatment of people based on race or sex. Proposition 209 states: "The State shall not discriminate against, or grant preferential treatment to, any individual or group on the basis of race, sex, color, ethnicity, or national origin in the operation of public employment, public education, or public contracting."The California legislature has now voted to strike these words from our state constitution: “The state shall not d… https://t.co/rskjLegxIt — Steve Miller (@Steve Miller)1593031561.0On Wednesday, the California Senate voted 30-10 in favor of putting the constitutional amendment that reinstates affirmative action up for a vote on the November ballot. The California Senate surpassed the required two-thirds majority. The California State Assembly voted 60-14 to pass Assembly Constitutional Amendment No. 5 on June...
    Finally, a semblance of sanity has been restored to the law and Constitution in the misbegotten prosecution of former National Security Adviser Michael Flynn. The U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit on Wednesday ordered the controversial lower court judge, Emmet Sullivan, to follow the law by dismissing the false statements case wrongfully brought by the original federal prosecutors who were either incompetent or corrupt — maybe both. As evidence emerged that Gen. Flynn was set up and framed by malevolent actors at the FBI —fired Director James Comey, fired Assistant Director Andrew McCabe and fired counterintelligence agent Peter Strzok — the Department of Justice (DOJ) moved to dismiss charges against Flynn a month ago. GREGG JARRETT: MICHAEL FLYNN'S PROSECUTION IS A SHAMEFUL INJUSTICE – CHARGES AGAINST HIM SHOULD BE DROPPED If the retired three-star general can be faulted for anything, he is guilty of being human. Under threats and...