Sunday, Feb 28, 2021 - 19:19:17
286 results - (0.000 seconds)

Paul George:

It’s already the best series of the first round of NBA playoff games, but in case you needed another reason to tune into the Clippers-Mavericks battle there’s a whole lot of personal baggage attached to this matchup. And it didn’t take long for that baggage to resurface on Sunday after a clash between Clippers forward Paul George and Mavericks guard Seth Curry. Curry, who is the younger brother of Golden State Warriors superstar Steph Curry, drove to the hoop early in the fourth quarter of Dallas’ wild 135-133 overtime win, drew a foul from George and hit the layup. Seth Curry points at Paul George and says "bitch ass" after And-1 pic.twitter.com/sdA1bpoF07 — gifdsports (@gifdsports) August 23, 2020 He turned to George and called him “b–h a–” before walking to the line and hitting the bonus free throw. It’s at this point the internet was quick to remind...
    Paul George conceded he is “having a hard time” in the Clippers’ first-round series against the Mavericks. George went 3-of-14 shooting, including 1-of-7 from three-point range, providing just nine points as the Clippers lost 135-133 in overtime to a Luka Doncic-inspired Mavericks, who levelled the Western Conference series at 2-2. George, who once referred to himself as ‘Playoff P’ due to his ability to deliver in the postseason, has the lowest effective field-goal percentage (34.8 per cent) of any player to have taken at least 50 shots in these playoffs. “I’ve just got to stay with it. It’s a marathon, man, I’ve got to stay with it,” George told reporters. “I thought early on I got a rhythm and then towards the third quarter there was a stretch where I just got out of rhythm and I was trying to find it. “It was tough, it’s just tough for me right now....
    Paul George is having a rough series for the Clippers. The Dallas Mavericks picked up a dramatic Game 4 victory over the LA Clippers on Sunday thanks to a buzzer-beating 3-point dagger from Luka Doncic. A last-second finish may not have been possible if Paul George had scored more than nine points. The Clippers star went 3-for-14 from the floor and 1-for-7 from 3-point range. This followed up his 11-point performance in Game 3, with the difference being the Clippers actually won that game. The first-round series is now tied 2-2, and George offered up a perfect performance review following Sunday’s game. Paul George: “To be honest, in hindsight, if I shoot the ball better, this series would be a lot different.” — Jovan Buha (@jovanbuha) August 23, 2020 Paul George sums his play up wellGeorge isn’t wrong. He went 4-for-17 in the Game 2 loss, and even one more made basket...
    Clippers forward Paul George has been terrible to start the postseason, and the “Playoff P” moniker he has carried for years is now being turned against him. George entered Game 4 on Sunday having shot 29.3 percent from the field and 23 percent from 3 in his first three contests of the series. Los Angeles held a 2-1 advantage in its first-round matchup with Dallas because teammate Kawhi Leonard carried the team on his back. George then produced another dud, scoring seven points on 2-for-12 shooting in regulation and finishing with just nine points overall.  Lou Williams stepped up off the bench with 33 points in regulation to push the game to overtime. But George’s struggles — and magic from Mavericks star Luka Doncic — were insurmountable in OT, as the Mavericks leveled the series 2-2 with a 135-132 win. NBA fans on social media began calling George “Pandemic P” in a reference...
    Racial-justice protestors marched to the Minnesota State Fairgrounds’ main entrance on Sunday. The march commemorated the Jan. 14, 2015 police shooting of Marcus Golden in St. Paul. It tapped into Black Lives Matter outrage with a nod to George Floyd, whose death in Minneapolis custody on May 25 sparked a global movement. Sunday’s event, described as the 5th Annual Justice for Marcus Golden Solidarity Protest, started at Hamline Park on Snelling Avenue in St. Paul before moving to the Fairgrounds. A grand jury cleared two St. Paul police officers in the shooting of Golden, 24, in the parking lot of an apartment complex near Regions Hospital. Police were responding to a 911 call from a man who reported he was receiving death threats from his ex-girlfriend’s former boyfriend. Related Articles Two men from metro suburbs charged with May arson fires Pentagon: Use of surveillance planes in George...
    Robert Pattinson Stars as the Caped Crusader in Gritty First Trailer of The Batman Coronavirus updates: Pelosi calls Trumps FDA attack very dangerous When will Playoff P Paul George show up for the Clippers? It’s hard to tell whether Paul George is struggling or thriving when he’s playing, one of the smoothest swingmen in a bubble or a raucous arena. One of the reasons he’s the perfect No. 2 to Kawhi Leonard is his ability to seamlessly go from facilitator to dominator without much of a change to his demeanor, with no need to send out the bat signal — when he’s at his best. But the call is out for “Playoff P” to find his game for the Los Angeles Clippers, and to do it fast. It’s not that the Clippers are in any danger of being upended by the Dallas Mavericks; Luka Doncic’s ankle injury appears to...
    Coronavirus updates: Pelosi calls Trumps FDA attack ‘very dangerous’ Chains like Ruby Tuesday and Red Robins will never recover until indoor dining fully reopens, as restaurant closures loom Paul George seems to shade James Hardens defense in response to his own struggles Los Angeles Clippers star forward Paul George shot just 3-of-16 from the field in Friday’s Game 3 win over the Dallas Mavericks. © Troy Taormina-USA TODAY Sports Paul George seems to think all Harden is capable of is taking shots. The All-Star has shot 21 percent over the past two games, including a 17 percent mark from three-point range. Despite this, Los Angeles boasts a 2-1 series lead in its first-round matchup against the Mavericks. Following Friday night’s win, George had a rather interesting comment relating to his struggles. In the process, he seemed to shade MVP candidate James Harden of the conference-rival Houston Rockets. George told...
    Paul George responded to criticism of his offensive struggles at the expense of James Harden. Paul George heard all the noise about his performance Friday night in the Los Angeles Clippers 130-122 victory over the Dallas Mavericks. He finished with 11 points, nine rebounds, and seven assists in what was another poor shooting night for the six-time All-Star, five-time All-NBA, and four-time All-Defensive Team forward. He wanted to make it clear that he’s no James Harden. He doesn’t always have a knack for shooting the ball and scoring, but George prides himself on being effective at both ends. According to ESPN’s Ohm Youngmisuk, George is fully aware that he is struggling offensively but the good news is the Clippers are up 2-1 with an opportunity to earn a 3-1 lead and close the series in LA. He believes players often get too caught up in what others think. George has...
    John Travolta and Daughter Share Sweet Dance in Honor of Kelly Preston: ‘Dancing in Memory of Momma’ Investor who scored big in coronavirus rout and now says stock-market ‘environment presents…largest set of tail risks we’ve seen’ in 15years Paul George addresses his Instagram message to the haters Paul George raised some eyebrows with a profane social media post that seemed to serve as a message for his haters. After Friday night’s playoff win, he doubled down, albeit a bit more politely. © Pool Photo-USA TODAY Sports PG13 said his confrontational IG post was his way of showing he's not caught up in what others think. George said his confrontational Instagram post was simply his way of showing he’s not caught up in what others think. Paul George on his Instagram post yesterday: “I think people get so caught up with what other people think. I’m Paul George. I don’t...
    Paul George was not effective in the Clippers’ 130-122 victory in Game 3. As Los Angeles Clippers took a 2-1 series lead over the Dallas Mavericks. to edge ahead in the Western Conference first-round battle, George struggled again. His “Playoff P” moniker has been mocked as he’s shot 7-for-33 shooting over his last two games.  Joining in on the criticism was “NBA On TNT” analyst Charles Barkley. ???? Charles Barkley on Paul George: “You can’t be calling yourself Playoff P & lose all the time…They don’t call me Championship Chuck.” pic.twitter.com/jld0dpFtdu — Ballislife.com (@Ballislife) August 22, 2020 NBA PLAYOFFS: Bracket | Schedule | Explaining the bubble George shot 3-of-16 during Friday night’s game and admitted he is susceptible to such off-nights. “I’m no James Harden,” George said. “That’s not my knack … to just shoot the ball, score the ball. I can and I pride myself on being effective on both ends. But there’s going...
    Charles Barkley has jokes and there is truth to them TNT Broadcaster Charles Barkley is well known for his opinions on the set with Shaq, Kenny, and Ernie Johnson. They bring laughter, surprise, and sometimes confusion. Recently, he lamented the fact that the Los Angeles Clippers Guard Paul George calls himself “Playoff P.” Nicknames in sports are usually given for athletic achievement on a high level. It’s never a good idea to give yourself a nickname. Ever. Take it from someone who knows. Anyway, the Los Angeles Clippers have a 2-1 advantage on the Dallas Mavericks in the Western Conference playoffs. After scoring 27 points, shooting 45 percent from the field and 36 percent from the perimeter in game one, George has struggled shooting the ball the last two games. He had 14 points on 4-of-17 shooting from the field and 2-of-10 shooting from the perimeter and a plus-minus of...
    A father and essential worker died of COVID-19. He was afraid of losing his job. Shrimp Sold At Costo And Other Retailers Is Being Recalled Over Salmonella Fears Paul George is getting roasted by Charles Barkley and NBA fans for his Playoff P nickname Paul George has had an absolutely dreadful showing in the Clippers last two games against the Dallas Mavericks. © Provided by For The Win He’s got 25 points on 33 shot attempts with only three made 3-pointers and he hasn’t played the same lockdown defense that we’re used to seeing from him. It’s been a rough to watch. Everyone is letting him have it, including Charles Barkley. The NBA on TNT analyst roasted George for giving himself the “Playoff P” nickname years ago when he was still on the Thunder. Now that he’s playing terribly with the Clippers and the spotlight is brighter than ever before, Barkley...
    2020 NBA Playoffs The different start of the two stars means that the Clippers are not at their best level The Los Angeles Clippers surprised in July 2019 when they took over the services of Kawhi leonard (he was a free agent) and Paul George (via transfer). Having two elite players in their ranks, and they handle themselves well on both sides of the court, made them one of the top favorites in the ring. In the regular season they have only shared court 35 games. The injuries, George had surgery last summer on his left shoulder, and the breaks, which Doc Rivers given to Leonard, they haven’t shared many minutes together and that the exact chemistry they have is unknown. But it is true that so far, the level shown by each one is the opposite. On the one hand, it is’The Klaw‘, who from the first...
    Kamala Harris Indian roots highlight a historic shift in the US Here Are Dominos 2020 Christmas Hours, Because Christmas Day Pizza Is Totally a Thing Charles Barkley took hilarious jab at Paul George for ‘Playoff P’ Charles Barkley took a funny jab at Paul George on Friday night. © Pool Photo-USA TODAY Sports Paul George is off to a subpar start through three games in these playoffs. Barkley has been unimpressed by George’s play in the playoffs so far and mocked the Los Angeles Clippers forward’s nickname. When he was with the Oklahoma City Thunder in 2018, George was asked about guarding Donovan Mitchell in the playoffs. He shrugged off the assignment as no big deal, saying you haven’t met “Playoff P” yet. Paul George on guarding Donovan Mitchell: “Y’all ain’t net Playoff P yet, huh? …It’s a fun guy to watch. It’s an out-of-body person.” pic.twitter.com/tL0rc8LEw7 — Fred...
    WASHINGTON — The use of National Guard reconnaissance planes in four U.S. cities to monitor the widespread protests earlier this year didn’t violate rules against the military collecting intelligence on Americans, a Pentagon report has concluded. The investigation by the Air Force inspector general found that the planes were used to gather information about crowd size, crowd flows and fires but they did not monitor individuals. The probe was ordered by Defense Secretary Mark Esper in response to questions within the department and Congress about whether the military illegally conducted surveillance of American citizens during the unrest after the death of George Floyd. The flights in late May and early June came as President Donald Trump was calling for tougher measures to quell the widespread unrest. Floyd was a black man who died after a white Minneapolis policeman pressed his knee into his neck for several minutes. National Guard troops...
    For as long as Eric Warren could remember, his grandfather, George “Snooky” Price, had a camera slung around his neck to document the people, sights and places of his beloved St. Paul. George “Snooky” Price took this self-portrait sometime in the 1980s. Price was known for the camera slung around his neck to document the people, sights, and places of his beloved St. Paul. (Courtesy of Eric Warren ) When Price died at 93 last Friday, Warren told family members that Price left them all gifts — presents in the form of photographs that had been taken of them and their families over the years. Warren estimates there are as many as 20,000 photos to sift through that his grandfather developed himself in a basement darkroom in the Carroll Avenue home that Price lived in for more than 50 years. After giving photos to family members, Warren hopes to be...
    UNC-Chapel Hill starts remote learning within week of starting classes due to COVID-19 Cramer expects unbelievably positive reports from big-box retailers this week Paul George admits Clippers were out of sync at times The Los Angeles Clippers won their first playoff game of 2020 on Monday, but it wasn't completely clean. © Pool Photo-USA TODAY Sports Paul George was part of a roller-coaster of a playoff opener for the Clippers. The Clippers got out to an early 10-0 lead but ended up trailing by the end of the first quarter against the Dallas Mavericks in their first-round playoff game. The Clippers wound up securing a 118-110 to go up 1-0 in the series. Paul George had 27 points in the contest and acknowledged after the game that the Clippers was out of sync at times. “Yeah, we had moments. We had moments, and I think it showed. But that’s...
    Attempting to cash in her appeal as a moderate, U.S. Sen. Amy Klobuchar Monday night gave an appeal for “unity” in a speech during the first night of the Democratic National Convention. Standing at a podium in St. Paul, with the Capitol dome behind her, Klobuchar appeared remotely in the nation’s first virtual convention — a result of the coronavirus pandemic for the event that had been scheduled for Milwaukee. “If you feel stuck in the middle of the extremes of our politics, if you are tired of the noise and the nonsense, you have a home with me, and you have a home with Joe Biden,” Klobuchar said, recalling words from her speech endorsing Biden after bowing out of the race earlier this year. In remarks that lasted barely over four minutes — brevity was a hallmark of the made-for-TV event — Klobuchar’s single theme was unity, at one...
    Gunfire and the sound of a yelping animal led police to find a dog shot inside a portable toilet in a St. Paul park early Friday. A veterinary technician from the nearby Como Park Animal Hospital came to Marydale Park to assist police and brought the dog in for treatment. The hospital released the dog to St. Paul Animal Control Friday morning; information about its condition wasn’t immediately available. A 911 caller reported hearing gunshots about 3:20 a.m. at the park at Maryland Avenue and Dale Street, heard a dog yelp and saw a male exit a portable toilet. Officers found the dog and it had been shot in the snout, said Sgt. Mike Ernster, a St. Paul police spokesman. Police located no one in the area. They are investigating and asking anyone with information to call 651-291-1111. Related Articles New police video captures crowd’s horror during George...
    Paul George has decided his feud with Damian Lillard has gone on for long enough. Per Yahoo Sports’ Chris Haynes — reporting from Portland’s Tuesday games against the Mavericks — the Clippers forward recently reached out to “clear the air” with Lillard after their social media spat became personal due to family members’ involvement. MORE: 5 stats that put Damian Lillard’s run with Trail Blazers into perspective The feud started out harmlessly enough, with George’s teammate Pat Beverly openly mocking Lillard for missing two go-ahead free throws late in the Clippers’ 122-117 win over Portland on Saturday. Lillard responded saying that his team had George’s and Beverly’s teams home from the playoffs in the past, prompting George and Lillard to call each other out on Instagram. The feud became overly personal, however, when George’s girlfriend, Daniela Rajic, and Lillard’s sister, La’nae, became involved . La’nae Lillard called...
    The Philadelphia 76ers headed into the Orlando bubble with the goal of proving that they are capable of fully dominating the Eastern Conference and bringing home the Larry O’Brien Trophy in the 2019-20 NBA season. Unfortunately, the Sixers still failed to live up to expectations from a legitimate title contender, and to make things worse, one of their main man, Ben Simmons, is set to undergo an arthroscopic surgery that will keep him on the sideline for the rest of the season. As the Sixers’ chances of winning the NBA championship title continues to decrease, rumors have once again started to swirl around Simmons, Joel Embiid, and their future with the team. In a recent appearance on ESPN’s Get Up, via Youtube, Jalen Rose of ESPN talked about several topics and shared his opinion regarding what the Sixers should do with their young superstar duo of Simmons and Embiid. For...
    Trash talk isn’t just reserved for NBA stars. After the Los Angeles Clippers topped the Trail Blazers, 122-117, on Saturday, Portland’s Lillard spoke about the celebrations from the Clippers’ Patrick Beverley — who did not participate in the game — over the point guard’s missed shots. “Asking me about Patrick Beverley, who I sent him home before at the end of a game,” Lillard said, according to ESPN. “Paul George is a guy sent home by me last year in the playoffs, so they know. The reason they reacting like that is because of what they expecting from me, which is a sign of respect, and it just shows what I have done at a high clip more times than not. I am not offended by it.” Following the game, Bleacher Report posted Lillard’s remarks on Instagram, prompting responses from both Beverley and George. La’Nae Lillard; Paul George and Daniela...
    Trash talk isn’t just reserved for NBA stars. After the Los Angeles Clippers topped the Trail Blazers, 122-117, on Saturday, Portland’s Lillard spoke about the celebrations from the Clippers’ Patrick Beverley — who did not participate in the game — over the point guard’s missed shots. “Asking me about Patrick Beverley, who I sent him home before at the end of a game,” Lillard said, according to ESPN. “Paul George is a guy sent home by me last year in the playoffs, so they know. The reason they reacting like that is because of what they expecting from me, which is a sign of respect, and it just shows what I have done at a high clip more times than not. I am not offended by it.” Following the game, Bleacher Report posted Lillard’s remarks on Instagram, prompting responses from both Beverley and George. La’Nae Lillard; Paul George and Daniela...
    Drama has come to the NBA bubble. Portland Trail Blazers star Damian Lillard appeared to take shots at Los Angeles Clippers forward Paul George after their game Saturday. DONCIC GETS 17TH TRIPLE-DOUBLE, MAVS TOP BUCKS 136-132 IN OT The Clippers defeated the Trail Blazers, 122-117. Lillard missed two key free throws down the stretch that would have put Portland up one point with less than 20 seconds to go. Clippers guard Patrick Beverley was seen mocking Lillard’s signature celebration on the sideline. At the end of the game, ESPN reported George and Beverley were seen waving goodbye to their opponents as they walked off the court. “PG did the wave because he also was surprised [about the missed free throws] because he experienced being waved at last year,” Lillard said after the game, referencing his game-winning shot against the Oklahoma City Thunder during last year’s playoffs. THE NBA MVP FINALISTS: ANTETOKOUNMPO,...
    Movie stars who had small TV roles before they were famous The 10 Best Outdoor Home Upgrades for Your Money Paul George’s girlfriend Daniela Rajic in beef with Damian Lillard’s sister La’nae Not only did Paul George and Damian Lillard trade some shots on Instagram Saturday, but now others from their respective sides are getting involved as well. © Kim Klement-USA TODAY Sports The verbal battle between Paul George and Damian Lillard has apparently gone beyond them. On Saturday, George’s Clippers beat Lillard’s Trail Blazers 122-117 in part due to Lillard missing key free throws at the end of the game. Patrick Beverley, who was not playing in the game, trolled Lillard over the missed free throws. Lillard responded after the game, saying the Clippers enjoyed his misses because they’re used to him getting the best of them. Then things got even more testy when all three players traded...
    US sets record as coronavirus cases top 5 million From cereal startups to fast-food chains, everyone wants to cash in on people eating breakfast at home Damian Lillard and Paul George take beef to Instagram After an intense mid-afternoon matchup between the Portland Trail Blazers and Los Angeles Clippers culminated with the usually clutch Damian Lillard missing not one – but two – potential game-tying free throws and a game-tying three-pointer, Portland dropped a vital contest 122-117. © Provided by HoopsHype Paul George Damian Lillard Beef Drama Trash Talk Rivarly It was an especially brutal defeat for the Blazers, who cannot afford to lose ground in the hotly contested race for the West’s No. 8 seed, because not only did the Clippers rest Kawhi Leonard for the entire game, L.A.’s other star swingman, Paul George, only played two fourth-quarter minutes as the team tried to manage his workload. Things got...
    Trail Blazers superstar Damian Lillard stewed after being mocked by Clippers players Saturday afternoon in his team’s 122-117 loss to LA, and his postgame outburst to reporters led to a social media spat with Paul George. When Lillard missed a pair of free throws that would have given Portland a lead with 18.6 seconds remaining, the Clippers’ bench laughed at him in an over-the-top display meant to get under his skin. In his postgame news conference, Lillard said George and Patrick Beverley shouldn’t talk trash after being sent home by the Trail Blazers in the playoffs before. Lillard hit an iconic shot over George last season to advance past the Thunder in the first round of the playoffs. George, seeing that quote on Instagram, wrote: “And you getting sent home this year.” To which Lillard replied: “(K)eep switching teams … running from the grind. You boys is chumps.” MORE:...
    $800 a week to test employees for COVID-19. Could rapid, cheap tests help? From cereal startups to fast-food chains, everyone wants to cash in on people eating breakfast at home Missed FTs snowball into petty postgame drama between Damian Lillard, Paul George Portland blew it on Saturday. © Provided by Yahoo! Sports LAKE BUENA VISTA, FLORIDA - AUGUST 02: Damian Lillard #0 of the Portland Trail Blazers looks on against the Boston Celtics at The Arena at ESPN Wide World Of Sports Complex on August 02, 2020 in Lake Buena Vista, Florida. NOTE TO USER: User expressly acknowledges and agrees that, by downloading and or using this photograph, User is consenting to the terms and conditions of the Getty Images License Agreement. (Photo by Mike Ehrmann/Getty Images) Drama ensued postgame. The Trail Blazers squandered a late five-point lead in a 122-117 loss to the Los Angeles Clippers in a...
    LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA - DECEMBER 19: Paul George #13 of the LA Clippers reacts to his three pointer during a 122-117 Houston Rockets win at Staples Center on December 19, 2019 in Los Angeles, California. NOTE TO USER: User expressly acknowledges and agrees that, by downloading and or using this photograph, User is consenting to the terms and conditions of the Getty Images License Agreement. (Photo by Harry How/Getty Images) The feud between the Trail Blazers and Clippers just got even more intense after their Saturday showdown If you were looking for some NBA drama, the Los Angeles Clippers and the Portland Trail Blazers provided more than an afternoon soap opera. Even without Kawhi Leonard, Montrezl Harrell and Patrick Beverley on the court, the Clippers managed to get the 122-117 win over the Trail Blazers, thanks to two missed free throws from point guard Damian Lillard. After those misses, Beverley...
    LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA - NOVEMBER 07: Damian Lillard #0 of the Portland Trail Blazers defends against Patrick Beverley #21 of the Los Angeles Clippers during the second half of a game at Staples Center on November 07, 2019 in Los Angeles, California. NOTE TO USER: User expressly acknowledges and agrees that, by downloading and/or using this photograph, user is consenting to the terms and conditions of the Getty Images License Agreement (Photo by Sean M. Haffey/Getty Images) The Los Angeles Clippers’ instigator got under Damian Lillard’s skin on Saturday On Saturday, the Portland Trail Blazers received the news that the Los Angeles Clippers would not be playing Kawhi Leonard, Montrezl Harrell and Patrick Beverley during their game. That meant the Trail Blazers had the advantage to walk out with the win and gain ground on the Memphis Grizzlies for the eighth seed in the Western Conference. That didn’t happen, as...
    A North St. Paul man involved in a high-speed chase with a Dakota County sheriff’s deputy died after the stolen vehicle he was driving crashed and rolled into a field in Hampton Township. Sincere Yero Page-El, 40, was pronounced dead at the scene, according to the Hennepin County medical examiner’s office. The Minnesota State Patrol gave the following details of the crash: At 10:40 a.m. Thursday, the Dakota County Sheriff’s Office was called to a burglary in progress in the 26000 block of Donnelly Avenue in Hampton Township. When the deputy arrived and found a vehicle backed into a secluded area of the property, the deputy tried to block the driver, but the driver of the 2017 Buick Envision fled, striking the squad car on the way out. The driver fled northbound on Donnelly Avenue, a gravel road, just north of 250th Street East, at a “high rate of speed.”...
    An attorney for one of the four former Minneapolis police officers charged in the death of George Floyd argues his client only handled crowd control. Defense attorney Robert Paule filed a memo Wednesday supporting his earlier motion to dismiss charges against Tou Thao for lack of probable cause. The memo said Thao had his back to what was going on as Officer Derek Chauvin, who is white, pressed his knee to the neck of Floyd, a handcuffed Black man. Chauvin pressed his knee to Floyd’s neck for nearly eight minutes on May 25 even after Floyd pleaded for air. According to the memo, Thao offered a hobble restraint to the other three officers, but they refused it. The memo also argues Chauvin was using a non-deadly, Minneapolis Police Department-approved neck restraint, and that Thao and the other three officers “had been repeatedly trained to use neck restraints.” Former Minneapolis police...
    Minnesota businesses that were damaged or destroyed during the unrest that followed the death of George Floyd can now apply for disaster assistance loans from the U.S. Small Business Administration. The nearly 1,500 Twin Cities businesses that were burned, looted or vandalized in late May and early June sustained damages estimated to exceed $500 million, according to a news release issued Wednesday by Gov. Tim Walz, who asked the SBA’s Office of Disaster Assistance last month to make the funds available. “These last few months, I have visited with business owners and community leaders to talk about the next steps in rebuilding. To them, rebuilding is about more than a store front — it’s about maintaining the vibrancy and vitality of the community,” Walz said in the news release. “I am grateful that our federal partners have stepped in to help. There is a lot of work ahead, and we...
    Phoenix Suns star Devin Booker nailed the game-winning turnaround jumper to push his team over the Los Angeles Clippers on Tuesday, 117-115. The Suns had the ball in the closing seconds of the game and they were able to grab the offensive rebound before Booker got the ball into his hands. He dribbled and took on Paul George before making the turnaround shot. His teammates immediately came off the bench and celebrated the victory. DONCIC'S TRIPLE-DOUBLE SENDS MAVERICKS PAST KINGS IN OT “This is a fun team to be a part of and we’re having fun with it,” Booker told reporters after the game. “This whole experience ... we just wanted to come down here and make some noise and that’s what we’re doing.” GIANNIS WATCHES IN 2ND HALF AS NETS BEAT BUCKS 119-116 Booker finished with 35 points. With the win, the Suns moved to 3-0 since the NBA...
    Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz is again asking for federal help to rebuild from the unrest that followed George Floyd’s death. Walz said Monday he has requested a U.S. Small Business Administration disaster declaration that would free up low-interest loans to help property owners rebuild. “We remain committed to working with the impacted communities to restore their vitality in the wake of this damage,” Walz said in a statement. Last month Walz had asked President Donald Trump to declare a “major disaster” in a request to the Federal Emergency Management Agency because of extensive damage to public infrastructure following the death of Floyd. Floyd died on May 25 after a white Minneapolis police officer pressed his knee against the handcuffed Black man’s neck for nearly eight minutes. The federal government denied that request. The Democratic governor is appealing that decision. Nearly 1,500 business were damaged in the Minneapolis-St. Paul area, Walz...
    This Thursday the NBA returned, with its ambitious plan for the bubble in Orlando, and the one who also returned was the ‘King’ LeBron James who commanded the Lakers’ victory over the Clippers by a score of 103-101. A highly competitive match where Paul George slung the Clippers over the shoulder and ended the night with 30 points. LeBron James was silent 47 minutes, but woke up at the indicated time, in the last play he threw for the basket of the winner, but failed, however himself recovered the rebound when jumping surrounded by white jerseys to achieve the victory basket. Then, Paul George himself would have the opportunity to win the game but he threw uncomfortable and failed. LEBRON FOR THE WIN pic.twitter.com/nUBCHejw0T – Bleacher Report (@BleacherReport) July 31, 2020 It may interest you: Emotional, imposing, exciting: the return of the NBA, an example of perfect logistics...
    Iowa teachers write and send their own obituaries to governor ahead of fall reopenings CCTV Script 29/07/20 Watch: Paul George upset about lack of foul call at end of loss to Lakers Paul George was upset over a lack of a foul call at the end of his Los Angeles Clippers’ 103-101 loss to the Lakers on Thursday night. © Pool Photo-USA TODAY Sports Paul George was upset over a lack of a foul call at the end of his Los Angeles Clippers’ 103-101 loss to the Lakers on Thursday night. George scored 30 points and was 6 of 11 on threes in the game, but he couldn’t come through at the very end. The Clippers star connected from deep to tie the game at 101 with just under 30 seconds left. LeBron James followed with a bucket to put the Lakers up by two — a basket that...
    The NBA is all set to return with the most anticipated match on the very first day. The Los Angeles Clippers and Los Angeles Laker has been much awaited even before the 2019-20 season began. Kawhi Leonard and Lebron James, the key players of their respective teams are hell-bent on getting a win. Lebron wants to maintain the three-time NBA championship and Kawhi has a lot to prove with an underestimated team behind him. Los Angeles Clippers’ Key Players The Los Angeles Clippers are going up against the Lakers without Lou Williams and Montrezl Harrell. Both these players are still in quarantine. Harrell had to leave for a family emergency and Williams did not follow the Safety Protocol Handbook of the Orlando Bubble and left the hotel premises. Kawhi Leonard and Paul George are said to lead the way for the team in this match. They do have some decent...
    Getty Chris Paul guarding LeBron James. Though the Los Angeles Lakers appear to have an actual shot at profitable the title this 12 months, that in all probability gained’t cease them from making an attempt to create a superteam within the close to future. They tried to final offseason however weren’t in a position to pull it off. It’s potential they might strive once more this offseason however there aren’t nice free-agent choices and the Lakers can have a tough time placing collectively an attractive commerce package deal. Greg Swartz of Bleacher Report is predicting the staff to attend till 2022 the place they’ll pair LeBron James and Anthony Davis with Paul George and Chris Paul: The Gran Destino Tower at Disney’s Coronado Springs Resort needs to be a hotbed for tampering, as potential 2021 free brokers James, Giannis Antetokounmpo, Kawhi Leonard...
    Getty Chris Paul guarding LeBron James. Even though the Los Angeles Lakers seem to have a real shot at winning the title this year, that probably won’t stop them from trying to create a superteam in the near future. They tried to last offseason but weren’t able to pull it off. It’s possible they could try again this offseason but there aren’t great free-agent options and the Lakers will have a hard time putting together an enticing trade package. Greg Swartz of Bleacher Report is predicting the team to wait until 2022 where they can pair LeBron James and Anthony Davis with Paul George and Chris Paul: The Gran Destino Tower at Disney’s Coronado Springs Resort should be a hotbed for tampering, as potential 2021 free agents James, Giannis Antetokounmpo, Kawhi Leonard and Paul George all share the same lodging. While James will likely try to convince Antetokounmpo...
    The Los Angeles Clippers may be currently the heavy favorite to bring home the Larry O’Brien Trophy in the 2019-20 NBA season, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that they would no longer try to find a way to upgrade their current roster this fall. Like other legitimate title contenders, the Clippers also have some issues that they need to address, including the absence of a starting-caliber center on their team. One of the players that the Clippers could target on the trade market in the 2020 offseason is All-Star center Rudy Gobert of the Utah Jazz. In a recent article, Zach Buckley of Bleacher Report created a list of one offseason deal that every team should be thinking about. For the Clippers, it should be the blockbuster deal that would enable them to form a “Big Three” of Gobert, Kawhi Leonard, and Paul George next season. To acquire Gobert, Buckley...
    The NBA is back, but that’s not what Paul George wants to talk about. George participated in his first real NBA action since the league shut down in March because of the coronavirus. It wasn’t a real NBA game, but it was a scrimmage the Clippers won against the Magic, 99-90. After the win, George wanted to use his platform to speak up. The Clippers forward was asked at the start of his press conference about his shoulder, but he opted for a different discussion. MORE: Key dates, NBA schedule for 2020 restart “I take this time to give my condolences to the family of the Taylors,” George said. “Breonna Taylor, rest in peace. George Floyd, rest in peace. There are so many others that have been brutally murdered by the hands of police. That’s all I got. That’s my message for everyone. That will continue to be my...
    BOSTON, MASSACHUSETTS - FEBRUARY 13: Paul George #13 of the LA Clippers looks on during the game against the Boston Celtics TD Garden on February 13, 2020 in Boston, Massachusetts. (Photo by Maddie Meyer/Getty Images) Paul George focused on two important names in his post-game comments. Paul George and the Los Angeles Clippers were back on the court Wednesday as NBA teams began exhibition play in Orlando. Just seeing basketball being played again was a great sign, but there was still more than just the game to discuss afterward. George was LA’s best player in the contest, finishing with 18 points in 19 minutes, but rather than talk about the scrimmage, he used his time in his post-game interview to bring up the names of Breonna Taylor and George Floyd. "Breonna Taylor, rest in peace. George Floyd, rest in peace."@Yg_Treces Message: pic.twitter.com/8XbmafBljj — LA Clippers (@LAClippers) July 22, 2020 Paul...
    Bad Girls Club Star Demitra Mimi Roche Dead at 34: She Was a Big Dreamer Disney heiress accuses company of putting workers health at risk Clippers Paul George devotes entire press conference to call for justice for Breonna Taylor LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. — The Los Angeles Clippers star hasn’t played in an NBA game in more than four months. Still, Paul George had no interest in talking about the Clippers’ 99-90 win over the Orlando Magic in a scrimmage Wednesday at ESPN’s Wide World of Sports Complex. Nor did he care to detail how his surgically-repaired shoulders have healed during the halted season. © Kirby Lee, USA TODAY Sports Paul George Instead, George devoted his post-game press conference entirely to decrying the killings of Breonna Taylor and George Floyd, two unarmed Black people that were killed by law enforcement. "There are so many others that have been brutally...
    The Conway Community Center will host a ceremonial groundbreaking Tuesday to mark the $11 million improvements being made to its outdoor soccer fields on St. Paul’s East Side. The Sanneh Foundation, which is leading the fundraising effort, announced Friday the Delta Dental of Minnesota Foundation has contributed $2 million to the project, which will include two FIFA-certified fields and a seasonal dome for winter programming. The fundraising effort includes $4.5 million in state bonds. Sanneh holds a long-term lease on the city-owned community center. “This incredible support comes at a time when leading the way to transformative change requires major investments,” Tony Sanneh, founder and CEO of the Sanneh Foundation, said in a news release. “This $2 million grant reflects the urgency of this moment and the need to address community health as a combination of factors that inlaces community centers, education, food and economic stability.”Related Articles St....
    Los Angeles Clippers looked like the favorites heading into the bubble, but have dealt with some setbacks. The LA Clippers lost Montrezl Harrell this week. ‘Trez had a personal situation to tend to and put up a story on Instagram saying “I’m not built for this”. However, the Clippers will have their two injury-prone superstars healthy and ready to go. Kawhi Leonard won’t need to manage too much load for this sprint of a season. Paul George’s shoulders should have fully healed by now. The team is still waiting on arrivals of Ivica Zubac, Landry Shamet, and Marcus Morris Sr. With the season starting in 12 days, all these players will have less time to practice before the season resumes. Paul George brought up these chemistry issues in a recent press conference but believed that the team will ultimately be successful. “It was a little frustrating because we played ourselves into...
    UFC’s Fight Island is something out of a video game, but it’s real Massachusetts police narcotics squad routinely used excessive force: DOJ Paul George admits he played through ‘insecurities’ early in season Paul George’s numbers have been down a bit this year with the Los Angeles Clippers. Part of that is likely down to him sharing the floor with the likes of Kawhi Leonard, but there may have been another reason as well. © Mark J. Rebilas-USA TODAY Sports Los Angeles Clippers guard Paul George hasn't been feeling like himself this season. George said he played through “insecurities” early in the season stemming from offseason shoulder surgery. George added that he is now back to his best, but didn’t feel completely right physically throughout a portion of the season. Paul George said he felt "insecurities" throughout the season because his repaired shoulders didn't feel quite right. He says he...
    Scooter Braun and actress Jamie Chung weren’t the only notable names who caught Olivia Munn’s birthday bikini video . Over the weekend, 49ers tight end George Kittle and Clippers forward Paul George were among the 336,000 who double-tapped Munn’s Instagram post from Friday, according to a screenshot from SportsGossip.com. UFC’s Dana White also wished the actress a “Happy Birthday” in the comments. As Munn turned 40 on Friday, the “Love Wedding Repeat” actress celebrated by sharing a video of herself modeling a sexy bikini by a waterfall. She later stumbled backward and clutched her foot in pain. “2020 strikes again,” Munn quipped at the time. “Anyway, thanks for the birthday wishes!” Paul George, Olivia Munn and George KittleGetty Images; Instagram In addition to her celebrity pals, Munn’s fans also showered the actress with birthday love. One commenter, however, veered the conversation toward her past. “Man Rogers [sic] f–ked up,” one...
    Scooter Braun and actress Jamie Chung weren’t the one notable names who caught Olivia Munn’s birthday bikini video. Over the weekend, 49ers tight finish George Kittle and Clippers ahead Paul George had been among the many 336,000 who double-tapped Munn’s Instagram submit from Friday, in keeping with a screenshot from SportsGossip.com. UFC’s Dana White additionally wished the actress a “Joyful Birthday” within the feedback. As Munn turned 40 on Friday, the “Love Marriage ceremony Repeat” actress celebrated by sharing a video of herself modeling a horny bikini by a waterfall. She later stumbled backward and clutched her foot in ache. “2020 strikes once more,” Munn quipped on the time. “Anyway, thanks for the birthday needs!”Paul George, Olivia Munn and George KittleGetty Photographs; InstagramAlong with her superstar friends, Munn’s followers additionally showered the actress with birthday love. One commenter, nonetheless, veered the dialog towards her previous. “Man Rogers [sic] f–ked...
    Scooter Braun and actress Jamie Chung weren’t the only notable names who caught Olivia Munn’s birthday bikini video. Over the weekend, 49ers tight end George Kittle and Clippers forward Paul George were among the 336,000 who double-tapped Munn’s Instagram post from Friday, according to a screenshot from SportsGossip.com. UFC’s Dana White also wished the actress a “Happy Birthday” in the comments. View this post on Instagram A post shared by Olivia Munn (@oliviamunn) on Jul 3, 2020 at 6:26pm PDT As Munn turned 40 on Friday, the “Love Wedding Repeat” actress celebrated by sharing a video of herself modeling a sexy bikini by a waterfall. She later stumbled backward and clutched her foot in pain. “2020 strikes again,” Munn quipped at the time. “Anyway, thanks for the birthday wishes!” Paul George, Olivia Munn and George KittleGetty Images; Instagram In addition to her celebrity pals, Munn’s fans also showered the actress...
    An 18ft Great White shark scuppered plans to for a £200million Beatles reunion show in 1976, according to Sir Ringo Starr. The drummer, who is 80 on Tuesday, said the iconic band was offered £50million - worth quadruple that in today's money - to reunite five years after their breakup. All four bandmates, including Paul McCartney and John Lennon, discussed the offer from showman Bill Sargent, despite the recent acrimonious split. Come Together? The Beatles nearly reformed for a one-off gig in 1976 but were put off when then discovered a Great White shark was the warm-up act, Ringo Starr has revealed But the producer planned to have a wrestling match between a man and a shark as the warm-up act, something which put off the Fab Four. RELATED ARTICLES Previous 1 Next Keanu Reeves and his girlfriend Alexandra Grant enjoy a... 'Thank...
    Kawhi Leonard is the man leading the offensive | Ezra Shaw / . The arrival of Kawhi Leonard and Paul George in the offseason once made Clippers fans aim for a title as a place in the NBA. Until now, the quintet has been well positioned to reach the scepter, but before the team will have to take care of the silent enemies that could get on the way to glory. Here are three negatives that could prevent the Los Angeles Clippers from becoming NBA champions Paul George and Kawhi Leonard are the team’s first options | Sean M. Haffey / . Scoring will not be a problem for the Clippers, the problem is that they must give order. The distribution of points must have Kawhi Leonard and Paul George obviously, but new acquisitions like: Marcus Morris and Reggie Jackson need the ball in their hands to score and...
    A Lowertown artist said she had a mission as she painted a mural on a store’s boarded up windows — she wanted the message to be about the need for more conversation about racism in the wake of George Floyd’s death in Minneapolis police custody. But the painting came to an end before it was done. Olga Nichols said the owner of the business — Adam’s Market on 5th Street, between Jackson and Robert streets — gave her and a few other artists permission to paint the mural on the wood covering the windows. The building’s owner, however, said his company did not grant permission for the mural to be painted on the store. James Crockarell also said many people had voiced concerns about the particular depiction of Floyd in the mural, adding some could interpret it as “negative and inflammatory.” The mural, which included the words “solidarity,” “unity,” “equality”...
    Two Twin Cities men were arrested Monday in separate St. Paul arson cases stemming from the unrest that followed the death of George Floyd at the hands of Minneapolis police a month ago. Matthew Scott White, 31, of Minneapolis is accused of setting a fire on May 28 that destroyed the Enterprise Rent-A-Car on University Avenue with the help of his sister and her juvenile son, according to a criminal complaint filed last week in U.S. District Court. He faces one count each of arson and conspiracy to commit arson. Mohamed Hussein Abdi, 19, of Maplewood is accused of setting a fire on May 28 that damaged the cafeteria of Gordon Parks High School on University Avenue, according to a news release issued by the U.S. Attorney’s office in Minnesota. He faces one count of arson. Both men made their first appearances in court Tuesday in St. Paul. Enterprise and...
    Someone shot and wounded a woman suspected of taking part in a robbery Tuesday in St. Paul, police said. Officers were called to an apartment in the St. Anthony Park neighborhood about 2:40 a.m. Witnesses reported a woman had been shot in the chest and back in the 2000 block of Como Avenue, a couple of blocks from Raymond/Cleveland Avenue. “The case is under investigation, but it appears that several suspects entered an apartment — one of whom had a gun,” said Steve Linders, a St. Paul police spokesman. “The person with the gun pointed it at several people while the other suspects stole things from the dwelling. The robbery does not appear random, according to Linders. As the people left to go to their vehicle with the stolen items, someone fired shots and one of the suspects was struck, Linders said. They all left in a vehicle and drove...
    Los Angeles Clippers star Paul George spoke about his good relationship with his former teammate Russell Westbrook. Westbrook and George played together for two years between 2017 and 2019. While Westbrook was already a fan favorite in Oklahoma, having just won an MVP award, George moved to the team in 2017. He had played seven years for Indiana Pacers by then, and was also an established player in the league. During an appearance on Kevin Hart’s ‘Cold as Balls’ program, George said Westbrook was like a brother to him. He went on to say that it was after consulting with each other that the two decided to move away from Oklahoma last year. “I was only (in OKC) two years. But you know, during those two years I loved Russ as a brother,” George said. “I have so much love for Russ. I mean, I was the first phone call...
    As defunding police is debated locally and across the country, St. Paul Police Chief Todd Axtell said Thursday the first thing that comes to his mind when the topic comes up is the city’s more than 300,000 residents and crime victims. “I wonder what they would think about that,” Axtell told St. Paul City Council members. He pointed out that violent crime has increased in St. Paul and also said he has been working to reform the department since he became chief four years ago. “While some law enforcement agencies around the country have been building policy in the last four weeks in the wake of the tragic murder of George Floyd (in Minneapolis police custody), your police department has been immersed in that work for the past four years,” Axtell said during the virtual meeting. During the meeting he responded to questions council members sent him in advance and...
    Former Indiana Pacers star Paul George -- now a member of the Los Angeles Clippers -- revealed that he requested a trade from the Pacers because the franchise didn’t make an attempt to land the “best power forward” in the NBA. CLICK HERE FOR MORE SPORTS COVERAGE ON FOXNEWS.COM George, who spoke to NBA players Quentin Richardson and Darius Miles about it, never said the player’s name, but it’s believed to be Anthony Davis. According to Hoops Hype, a league source believed that George was talking about Davis, which makes sense since he was regarded as the best power forward in the league during the summer of 2017 when this conversation supposedly happened. That summer, George told Indiana that he wasn’t going to re-sign with the team when he was going to become an unrestricted free agent in 2018. Instead, the Pacers decided to trade away the All-Star to the...
    Paul George is currently one of the stars of the Los Angeles Clippers | Joe Robbins / . Paul George revealed the main reason for his departure from the Indiana Pacers after the end of the 2016-2017 season. “I am not going to say the names, because I am going to maintain the privacy of their businesses, I just have to say it like this: I had, at the time, the best forward saying that I wanted to come to Indiana,” George said during an interview on the podcast of The Players Tribune. Paul George says he had at the time, the best PF in the NBA ready to team up with him in Indiana “They didn’t want to do it… I called my agent like, ‘Man, get me up outta here. They don’t want to win.'” (? https://t.co/2LBpBdl9mY) pic.twitter.com/1sSDG3Xdfi – NBA Central (@TheNBACentral) June 23, 2020 The 30-year-old...
    St. Paul’s History Theatre will host a free outdoor screening of “A Breath for George” at 8:30 p.m. Monday. Created by St. Paul’s New Dawn Theatre, “A Breath for George” features songs, interviews and poems created to honor the life of George Floyd. Artists featured include James T. Alfred, Aimee Bryant, Wanda Christine, Perri Gaffney, Peter Macon, Thomasina Petrus, T. Mychael Rambo, Frank Sentwali, Regina Marie Williams and Jevetta Steele. Interviews with Sarah Bellamy, Harvey Blanks, Melvin Carter Jr., James Craven, Talvin Wilks and professor John Wright are also included. “There is value in people knowing that they are not alone in the way that they are feeling right now,” New Dawn Theatre artistic director Austene Van said in a news release. “There is also value in speaking truth to people who have never heard our stories or ever been in position to hear our stories.” Patrons are asked to...
    School district administrators are recommending St. Paul Public Schools continue its school resource officer program despite a flurry of opposition following the May 25 death of George Floyd in Minneapolis police custody. Superintendent Joe Gothard said school district officials recently have received over 1,000 emails on the subject, most of which urged them to end the program. High school principals, however, think the officers should stay, he said. Students also overwhelmingly support having officers in seven high schools, according to a survey of high school juniors last year. School board member John Brodrick favors keeping the program, saying the district has had a good partnership with the police. Zuki Ellis said she doesn’t think police officers belong in schools. At the same time, she said, the officers in the St. Paul schools “are really good people and we’ve been fortunate to have them in our schools.” The school board has...
    Anoka County sheriff’s deputies used tear gas to disperse a rowdy crowd of 200 that gathered Friday at a park in Oak Grove. Deputies arrived at Lake George Regional Park at about 4 p.m. after receiving calls about a group of people in the beach area who were becoming unruly. The beach had been closed earlier in the week due to similar issues. Police noted there was a DJ on site and that multiple fights were breaking out in the crowd. The deputies requested backup and, using a PA system, told the crowd to leave and that the park was closed. Several told the deputies they would not leave and some began climbing to the roof of a bathroom building in the park. Police had reports of a man with a gun in the crowd. To disperse the crowd, police deployed a smoke canister. Some left, but others remained, so...
    Saying that they are finding “new persons of interest” daily in a slew of arson fires set during the George Floyd unrest, investigators are asking for help in identifying suspects in blazes across Minneapolis-St. Paul, including those at the Minnesota Transitions Charter School, the Minneapolis Police Department’s 3rd Precinct and an AutoZone store. A multi-agency investigation by the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives’ National Response Team, Minneapolis Police Department, Minneapolis Fire Department, Hennepin County Sheriff’s Office, Minnesota State Fire Marshal Division and the FBI is asking for help identifying five more people suspected of being involved in the arson fires. The ATF’s St. Paul field division will post additional pictures on its Twitter account as they become available at @ATFStPaul. Officials ask anyone with information on the identification and whereabouts of thee individuals to contact the ATF. Call 1-888-ATF-TIPS (1-888-283-8477), email ATFTips@atf.gov, or submit information anonymously via...
    A Brooklyn Park man and a Ramsey woman, both 19, have been charged with conspiracy to commit arson in connection with a deliberately set fire in St. Paul following the death of George Floyd in the custody of Minneapolis police. Samuel Elliott Frey of Brooklyn Park and Bailey Marie Baldus of Ramsey made their first court appearance Tuesday in U.S. District Court in St. Paul in connection with the May 28 arson fire at the Great Health Nutrition store at 1360 W. University Ave. According to the criminal complaint, after circulating images of the arsonists taken from video surveillance, the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives received numerous tips and was able to identify Frey and Baldus as two of the people in the video. In the surveillance video footage at the Midway store, Frey can be seen pouring flammable hand sanitizer onto a shelving unit and setting...
    The U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives is offering a $5,000 reward for information leading to the identify of a man they believe set several arson fires in St. Paul during the civil unrest that followed the death of George Floyd in Minneapolis police custody. The reward is for “information that leads to the positive identification, arrest and conviction of a man responsible for setting fire to a neighborhood school and several St. Paul businesses during the recent unrest,” the ATF said Sunday in a news release. “This individual was seen at multiple locations igniting fires in our community, (including) the Gordon Parks High School that serves disadvantaged youth,” said Assistant Special Agent in Charge Jon Ortiz of the ATF’s St. Paul Field Division. “We’re hoping the reward money will help convince those who may know the suspect to come forward with information. He may or may not...
    (CNN)When St. Paul Mayor Melvin Carter was growing up, he thought being a police officer was like being a superhero. It may have been an unlikely point of view for a black boy growing up in a big city, but Carter had a good reason -- his father was one of St. Paul's first African Americans on the police force."He became a police officer in the early '70s after a lawsuit required the desegregation of the St. Paul police department. And so he was a part of a class of African American officers who came in and they have stories that weren't always complimentary," Carter recalled.At first, Carter said, some of his father's white colleagues on the force bluntly told him they would not back him up, "no matter what happened," because he was black.Some four decades later, Carter broke his own racial barrier, becoming St. Paul's first African American...
    The images of the past two weeks have been shocking. First the video as the life of George Floyd was taken out of him under the knee of a Minneapolis police officer. Then large protests erupted on our streets. Followed by the looting and flames destroying parts of our community that were broadcast around the globe. Then an outpouring of support that gave many a cause and hope. Residents of the Twin Cities told us those images left many feeling betrayed by their community yet again, scared for their safety, and determined that this time, it would be different. Here are a few of their stories. THE ORGANIZER: He uses his bullhorn to unite his community Tommy McBrayer of the Central Area Neighborhood Development Organization speaks at a rally June 1 in front of the Cup Foods in Minneapolis, on the one-week anniversary of George Floyd’s death. (Scott Takushi /...
    There will be no mandatory curfews beginning Friday night in the Twin Cities. Gov. Tim Walz made the announcement after a week of nightly curfews imposed to stem the violence that erupted in the days after the death of George Floyd while being arrested by Minneapolis police. Hundreds of businesses were looted and damaged and dozens more were set on fire in Minneapolis and St. Paul. Curfews were started last Friday, lasting from 8 p.m. to 6 a.m., as the National Guard joined law enforcement to quell the violence. On Monday as nights grew calmer, the curfews were shortened to 10 p.m. to 4 a.m. and extended through Thursday night. Under the curfew, only those going and returning from work, emergency workers, those fleeing a dangerous situation, the homeless and the media were allowed to be out in public. Others were subject to arrest. Related Articles Buffalo, N.Y., officers suspended after...
    Around 300 healthcare workers at Maimonides Medical Center walked out of the Brooklyn hospital Thursday in a show of solidarity with George Floyd and to protest police brutality. The hospital’s leadership and workers knelt for eight minutes and 46 seconds — the length of time that prosecutors believe Floyd was pinned to the ground as he struggled to breathe under the knee of Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin. “It could’ve been anybody. It could be your son, my son,” said Margaret Boyd, wearing blue scrubs and a face mask during the demonstration. “They’re supposed to be there to protect us, not kill us.” Workers at the Borough Park facility held pictures of Floyd and chanted “black lives matter,” with some taping the words he and Eric Garner both shouted as they died — “I can’t breathe” — to their scrubs. “While we all feel all lives matter, at this movement,...
    St. Paul, Minn. police chief Todd Axtell told Fox News' "Your World" Thursday that the death of George Floyd and the ensuing unrest have brought about a "pivotal moment in policing in America." Axtell told host Neil Cavuto that his department is faring well in the aftermath of several nights of unrest, but admitted that it had been an "exhausting week" in the Twin Cities. "The last time we observed [this kind of] vitriol and division and chaos through our country [was] 52 years ago [in] 1968," the chief said. "And we are bound and determined to repeat ourselves unless we use this as an opportunity to connect with all of our communities at a much higher level ... to make sure we are hiring the most qualified officers, hiring the heart and training the mind and providing trusted service with respect." VideoAxtell, who was named St. Paul police chief in 2016 and has been on the force in Minnesota's capital city for three decades, added...
    Mussie Embaye was protesting the killing of George Floyd on Saturday night when his business on University Avenue in St. Paul was broken into and looted. He returned to Go Get It Tobacco on Sunday morning to survey the damage, wandering around the destruction of the tobacco shop he worked so hard to open a mere 11 months ago. The front door was kicked in, display cases shattered, and pretty much everything stolen from him. Still the last thing on Embaye’s mind was his business. “I took one for the team,” Embaye said. “I don’t care. There are bigger things going on right now. That’s what we should be focused on.” He knows he can rebuild. He can repair and reopen. He still has a future. He knows the same thing can’t be said about Floyd. Not after he died under the knee of a Minneapolis police officer last week...
    The Midway Chamber of Commerce estimates more than 200 St. Paul buildings were damaged or destroyed in the past week during protests over George Floyd’s death in Minneapolis police custody. The chamber will host an hour-long virtual panel discussion at 8 a.m. Thursday to offer guidance to business owners and operators. Titled “Your Business Was Damaged … What Do You Do Now?” the forum is free but advance registration is required. Moderated by commercial law attorney Brian Alton, the forum features experts in insurance, legal property rights and restoration: Caleb Brunz, president of Paul Davis Restoration; Brian Hayes, an assistant vice president with Western Insurance; Matt Vatter, assistant commissioner of enforcement for the Minnesota Department of Commerce; and TJ Patton, audit director with the Department of Commerce’s Insurance Enforcement Team. More information can be found at MidwayChamber.com under the “Events” listing.Related Articles Cinema chain AMC warns it may not survive...
    St. Paul and Minneapolis will be under a curfew again Wednesday and Thursday nights. Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz Wednesday announced he was extending the 10 p.m. to 4 a.m. curfew for the Twin Cities both nights. While the past two days have seen outpourings of peaceful demonstrations and the last two nights have seen a noted fall in violence compared to days prior, authorities are still concerned that the situation remains volatile and unpredictable in the wake of last week’s killing of George Floyd, an unarmed black man, in Minneapolis police custody. Violence has continued in other cities across the nation. According to a statement from the governor’s office: “During the curfew, no one is allowed to travel on Minneapolis and Saint Paul streets or public places, except for first responders, members of the media, people going back and forth to work, individuals seeking emergency care or fleeing danger, and...
    St. Paul and Minneapolis will be under a curfew again Thursday and Friday nights. Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz Thursday announced he was extending the 10 p.m. to 4 a.m. curfew for the Twin Cities both nights. While the past two days have seen outpourings of peaceful demonstrations and the last two nights have seen a noted fall in violence compared to days prior, authorities are still concerned that the situation remains volatile and unpredictable in the wake of last week’s killing of George Floyd, an unarmed black man, in Minneapolis police custody. Violence has continued in other cities across the nation. According to a statement from the governor’s office: “During the curfew, no one is allowed to travel on Minneapolis and Saint Paul streets or public places, except for first responders, members of the media, people going back and forth to work, individuals seeking emergency care or fleeing danger, and...
    MINNEAPOLIS (AP) - Several thousand people congregated at the state Capitol in St. Paul for a peaceful protest Tuesday organized by high school students in metro area. The sit-in on the Capitol’s front lawn and steps was in contrast to the civil unrest that has roiled the Twin Cities since George Floyd died May 25 after being pinned face down, handcuffed behind his back, by Minneapolis police officers who suspected he had passed a counterfeit bill at a nearby grocery store. Army National Guard soldiers handed out bottled water during the protest. TOP STORIES Univ. of Alabama Birmingham professor instructs rioters on how to tear down monuments Richmond police chief says rioters blocked firefighters from burning home with child inside George Soros, 89, is still on a quest to destroy America Also in St. Paul, faith leaders from several congregations marched with hundreds past the ruins of...
    Prosecutors charged a St. Paul man with attempted murder Tuesday, saying he shot at two Minneapolis police officers during unrest in the city after George Floyd died in Minneapolis police custody. Over the weekend, there had been peaceful protests in the area of 15th Avenue South and Lake Street, but there had also been earlier property damage, including the burning of the 3rd police precinct. Officers had rocks, debris and bottles of bodily fluids thrown at them. On Saturday about 10:55 p.m., uniformed officers wearing SWAT vests and helmets were in an unmarked van, with the door open, and two were assigned to deploy 40-mm marking rounds to disperse crowds. The van was driving down Lake Street, flanked by two marked squad cars. Jaleel Kevin Stalllings (Courtesy of the Hennepin County Sheriff’s Office) As they approached 14th Avenue South, a group of people were in a parking lot. Several ran...
    President Trump laid a wreath at the Saint John Paul II National Shrine in Washington to set the stage for an order promoting religious freedom Tuesday as protesters, Democrats and clergy members accused him of exploiting symbols of faith for political gain amid nationwide protests. Mr. Trump and first lady Melania Trump stood quietly in front of a statue of the late pope before entering the shrine in the northeast section of the capital. After the visit, Mr. Trump plans to return to the White House and sign an executive order “to advance international religious freedom.” TOP STORIES Van Jones: Forget the KKK, its the white, liberal Hillary Clinton supporter we should worry about Leslie Jones prays riot that yall in leads to nations end: Burn down this f--ing Constitution Chattanooga police chief tells officers OK with George Floyd death to turn in badges It was Mr. Trump’s second...
    The U.S. Department of Homeland Security on Friday warned in a memo that “suspected anarchist extremists and militia extremists allegedly planned to storm and burn the Minnesota State Capitol,” Politico reported Monday. The Pioneer Press was unable to independently confirm the warning, which cited FBI information and was contained in a Friday memo sent to law enforcement officials across the country, according to Politico. Asked about the reported memo and threat Monday evening, Minnesota Department of Corrections Commissioner Paul Schnell neither confirmed nor denied it specifically, saying “Threats do exist .. I can’t get into specifics.” For days, a robust host of National Guard and law enforcement have been guarding the Capitol in St. Paul, although their numbers are unclear and often not visible from the outside. The St. Paul information, according to Politico, was part of a wider warning that “domestic terrorist actors” might try to exploit First Amendment-protected...
    A fire burnt the warehouse of Cara Irish Pubs, the group behind popular restaurant patios The Liffey in St. Paul as well as The Local (downtown Minneapolis and St. Louis Park) and Kieran’s (downtown Minneapolis), to the ground on Friday night. The warehouse on East Lake Street in Minneapolis was where the restaurant group stored its patio furniture, extra tables, chairs, bar stools, equipment and supplies. The incident means reopening dates of Cara’s outdoor dining spaces is even more uncertain despite the state allowing outdoor dining at restaurants starting Monday after closures since mid-March due COVID-19. “Everything was destroyed, nothing salvageable,” said Peter Killen, CEO of Cara Irish Pubs. “Thankfully, nobody was hurt.” Killen said the fire is being investigated. The incident occurred in an area heavily hit with fires and looting amid days of unrest following the death of George Floyd in Minneapolis police custody. Related Articles Twin Cities...
    For the first time in 11 weeks, Minnesota restaurateurs on Monday rolled out the welcome mat for dining, albeit for outdoor seating only and with restrictions. Meanwhile, others are postponing planned openings amid unrest following the death of George Floyd in Minneapolis police custody. Perennial restaurant patio favorites Patrick McGovern’s and French Meadow opened patios Monday for St. Paul diners. Francois Paradeise, general manager of French Meadow on Grand Avenue, had his first reservation at 11:30 a.m. “It feels like back to the future. We’re so thankful to diners for coming. I’m an optimist. I believe that everyday we’re going to go further and the next day is going to be a better day than before,” Paradeise said. “The weather today so far has been perfect. If it stays like this it would be great.” Monday was supposed to be a happy — well, happier — day for the restaurants...
    St. Paul, Minneapolis, Mayor Melvin Carter on Monday said he’s not sure why all four police officers he said were responsible for George Floyd’s death last week are not yet facing criminal charges. Mr. Carter said the focus should be on the death of Floyd, a black man who died while in police custody last week after an officer knelt on his neck for nearly 9 minutes and whose death has sparked nationwide protests. “All four of those officers who [were] responsible for his killing, as the Minneapolis police chief has now said, are complicit and should be held accountable,” he said. TOP STORIES Officer Derek Chauvins wife harassed and threatened over false claim, divorce lawyer says Celebrities blasted for donating to protester bail fund as rioting, violence escalate Asphyxiation not the cause of George Floyds death: Autopsy Mr. Carter said he’s not an attorney but that based on...
    St. Paul Mayor Melvin Carter discussed police violence and the implications of George Floyd's death during an appearance on CNN's State of the Union Sunday morning, demanding all four officers involved in the fatal arrest last week be held accountable. In calling for further legal action, Carter spoke about the systemic violence exemplified by Minneapolis law enforcement's treatment of Floyd, which was captured on video. "If it was just one, you might be able to say, 'Rogue officer. Bad apple,'" he told the news program's host, Jake Tapper. "But when you have four officers in the video all responsible for the taking of George Floyd's life, it points to a culture, a normalized culture that's accepted, that's been accepted and that cannot be part of our culture moving forward." Videos have circulated online since Floyd's death on Monday, sparking outrage across the country and prompting large-scale protests that have taken...
    Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey has issued an 8 p.m. curfew Friday and Saturday nights for Minneapolis. The curfew will extend from 8 p.m. to 6 a.m. both nights. The unprecedented crackdown, which will be enforced by a host of authorities, including the Minnesota National Guard and State Patrol, comes after an afternoon and evening of chaos in the streets of the two cities, where looting and arson ran amok, and police struggled to maintain — or completely lost — control. Here’s how it came to this: What began as protests following the death Monday of George Floyd, a black man who was videotaped under the knee of a white police officer, steadily grew more violent for several days. The officer, Derek Chauvin, was swiftly fired; Chauvin was arrested Friday morning. On Thursday afternoon, rampant looting broke out in several areas of St. Paul, especially in a commercial ctrip along University...
    As protests over George Floyd’s death continued Thursday night, various suburbs have reported damage. Most of the unrest was contained to the Twin Cities with more than 170 businesses damaged in St. Paul alone, according to police, and the Midway neighborhood along University Avenue hit the hardest. Additionally, St. Paul firefighters responded to 55 fires, not all of which were structural. That said, there was damage sustained on the outskirts of the Twin Cities before former Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin was charged with third-degree murder and manslaughter on Friday. Here’s a look at various suburbs and what they experienced Thursday night and Friday morning: APPLE VALLEY Multiple broken windows and a fire inside were found at the Dakota County Western Service Center in Apple Valley early Friday, May 29, 2020. (Courtesy of the Dakota County Sheriff’s Office) Apple Valley police responded to an alarm at the Dakota County Western...
    The Minneapolis police officer who was seen on video kneeling on the neck of George Floyd, after which the man died, has been arrested, the state’s public safety commissioner announced Friday. Video taken by a bystander and shared on social media shows officer Derek Chauvin pressing his knee into Floyd’s neck, as Floyd was handcuffed and lying face-down on the ground, on Monday. Additional information was not immediately available. Related Articles Gov. Tim Walz on George Floyd: Problems can’t be addressed ‘if anarchy reigns on the street’ St. Paul fire department: Frogtown-Midway neighborhood endured worst of fire damage in overnight riots Fires, looting overnight leave extensive damage along University Avenue in St. Paul, damage reported elsewhere in city Letters: Address the ways we deny people their human dignity and rights In George Floyd’s death, a police technique leads to a too-familiar tragedy
    Demonstrations continued over the death of George Floyd in the Twin Cities Thursday, with protesters launching various objects at St. Paul police vehicles and looters striking local businesses. Floyd, a black man, died in police custody earlier this week after a white police officer appeared to pin him to the ground with his knee for several minutes. St. Paul police wrote on Twitter that officers encountered looters and vandals near the Target store on University Avenue and elsewhere. Police said they were met with protesters hurling rocks, liquor bottles and bricks. MINNEAPOLIS PROTESTS GET HEATED, LOOTING REPORTED AS GEORGE FLOYD DEATH SPARKS NEW OUTCRY Sarah Danik, a reporter for the local Fox 9 TV station, shared images Thursday that she said were taken at the scene beginning around 3 p.m. They show crowds of masked protesters and police officers, and crashing or banging noises can be heard in some of the videos....