Saturday, Mar 06, 2021 - 05:28:43
404 results - (0.001 seconds)

his national:

A Manhattan Supreme Court judge rejected Eric Trump's request to delay his deposition until after Nov. 3, ruling that the court is 'not bound by timelines of the national election.' Judge Arthur Engoron of the Manhattan Supreme Court ruled Wednesday that Eric Trump must testify in the New York Attorney General's investigation of potential civil fraud by the Trump Organization — before the presidential election. Last week, the younger Trump agreed to be deposed in the case, which seeks to determine whether the Trump Organization inflated or skewed its assets for tax reasons, or to obtain business loans. But his lawyers argued that the deposition should be delayed until after the election Nov. 3, citing his "extreme travel schedule" on the campaign trail and a desire to "to avoid the use of his deposition attendance for political purposes." In Wednesday's...
    Getty Former national security adviser H.R. McMaster on Wednesday told CNN that he wishes President Donald Trump would recognize that Russian President Vladimir Putin is not his friend.  “I wish President Trump would just realize…Vladimir Putin is not his friend,” McMaster said to CNN’s Jim Sciutto. “It’s self-delusion…Putin is the best liar in the world.” Trump at a rally on Monday told supporters: “I like Putin. He likes me.” The intelligence community has repeatedly warned that Russia is engaged in ongoing efforts to interfere in the US electoral process.  Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories. President Donald Trump’s former national security adviser H.R. McMaster on Wednesday told CNN that he wishes the commander-in-chief would recognize that Russian President Vladimir Putin is “not his friend.” “I wish President Trump would just realize…Vladimir Putin is not his friend,” McMaster...
    Harrison Barnes #40 of the Sacramento Kings drives to the basket during the game against the New Orleans Pelicans on August 6, 2020 at The HP Field House at ESPN Wide World Of Sports Complex in Orlando, Florida.Joe Murphy | National Basketball Association | Getty Images With his season over and some time to reflect before starting a new campaign, National Basketball Association forward Harrison Barnes plans to enhance his banking knowledge. Barnes, who plays for the Sacramento Kings, became a shareholder and was named to the board of directors of Iowa-based First National Bank in August. In an interview with CNBC, Barnes said he wants to use his new position to learn the industry, assist small businesses who depend on community banks, and increase financial awareness.   "Me and my family have been banking there for two decades," Barnes said, who grew up in Ames, Iowa. He added banking is "very conservatively...
    Joe Biden is sending mixed, if not contradictory, messages about what legal form his national mask mandate would take amid uncertainty about whether the president has any authority to mandate the wearing of face coverings. President Barack Obama faced criticism while in office when he projected not having to wait for Congress to make sweeping changes across the country, saying, “I’ve got a pen, and I’ve got a phone” — the “pen” referencing his ability to sign executive actions and the “phone,” his power to court support for his agenda. The former vice president and Democratic presidential nominee has been clear that he would utilize the “phone” to ask state and local officials to implement mask policies, but he has not been clear with voters, and seems to lack clarity himself, about how he could use the “pen” in relation to masks. In the last month, Biden...
    By spreading misinformation and attacking voting by mail, Trump and his campaign are waging war on the 2020 election. Down in the polls and facing the possibility of defeat, Donald Trump is using his platform to generate mass confusion ahead of the November general election, which could make it harder for Americans to vote in the middle of a deadly pandemic. Trump, along with the Republican National Committee and the National Republican Congressional Committee, have been taking numerous actions that would depress the vote for the upcoming election, which Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden is currently favored to win. Here are some of the ways Trump and his GOP allies are trying to fix the election: Attacking voting by mail 
    Baker Mayfield, the NFL quarterback for the Cleveland Browns, completely flip-flopped on whether he would join the national anthem kneeling protest after issuing a defiant message to angry fans. Mayfield had previously said that he would kneel alongside some of his teammates and he didn't care if it angered the fans. "You know, right is right and wrong is wrong," he said at the time. "It's a human rights issue. It's been going on for a long time and I believe in that." On Saturday, Mayfield released a statement saying that he had changed his mind after watching how other teams handled the controversy in the first game of the NFL season. "Also after reading many letters and messages over the past weeks... I have been showed that a gesture such as kneeling will only create more division or discussion about...
    Former FBI agent Peter Strzok said Russia was holding leverage over President Donald Trump on Sunday’s broadcast of NBC’s “Meet the Press.” Strzok said, “I think it is clear, I believe at the time in 2016, and I continue to believe that Donald Trump is compromised by the Russians. When I say that, I mean that they hold leverage over him that makes him incapable of placing the national interest and national security ahead of his own.” He continued, “I worked counterintelligence over 20 years. I recruited spies during that time, and I defended against those people who were being recruited in our government. One of the largest ways that foreign governments gained leverage, certainly in the case of the president, is through financial entanglement. If you look at the Trump financial enterprise, particularly with Russia, with Russian money and those related to organized crime and other elements that those interactions...
    Lawrence Brooks turned 111 on September 12. Courtesy of The National WWII Museum Lawrence Brooks, who turned 111 on Saturday, is considered the oldest surviving US World War II veteran. Brooks served in the predominately Black 91st Engineer Battalion in New Guinea and the Philippines during the war. The National World War II Museum in New Orleans, Louisiana, which has hosted Brooks' birthday for the past five years, had a social-distanced celebration with the veteran. Brooks received more than 10,000 birthday cards from every US state and seven countries. Visit Insider's homepage for more stories. The oldest-known US World War II veteran celebrated his 111th birthday on Saturday. Lawrence Brooks was born September 12, 1909, and went on to serve in the predominately Black 91st Engineer Battalion in New Guinea and the Philippines during the war.  He was drafted at age 31 and served at a time...
    STUNNING photos show the moments after former President George W Bush was told about the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks while he was visiting children in a Florida school. Friday, on the 19th anniversary of the attacks, a teacher and student who were in a classroom with Bush when he was informed about the World Trade Center recalled how the former president's whole demeanor changed. 8George Bush was informed about the 9/11 attacks while at an elementary school in FloridaCredit: The U.S. National Archives 8Bush had been reading in a class with second graders when the Twin Towers were attackedCredit: The U.S. National Archives 8The former president used an empty classroom at the school to receive information about the attacksCredit: The U.S. National Archives Bush was in a second grade classroom at Emma E. Booker Elementary School in Sarasota, reading with children when his chief of staff came in and...
    Alex Henderson September 9, 2020 7:30PM (UTC) This article originally appeared on AlterNet. Veteran journalist Bob Woodward conducted a series of interviews with President Donald Trump for his new book, "Rage," which is due out on Sep. 15 — but the details are already coming out. Between December 2019 and July 2020, Woodward conducted 18 on-the-record interviews with the president — and "Rage" is based in part on those interviews. And the revelations are nothing short of explosive. : Here are four of the most stunning details: 1. Trump rages about the generals Woodward quotes Woodward as saying, "My fucking generals are a bunch of pussies. They care more about their alliances than they do about trade deals." 2. Mattis and Coats recognized Trump's unfitness : "Rage," according to Washington Post reporters Robert Costa and Philip Rucker, contains "brutal assessments of Trump's conduct from Former Defense Secretary Jim Mattis, former Director...
    A stenographer who worked in the White House while Joe Biden served as vice president said the 2020 presidential candidate is currently a “shell of his former self.” "That's not Joe Biden,” former White House stenographer Mike McCormick told Laura Ingraham on Fox News Tuesday night. “That's a shell of his former self. Joe Biden is a different guy than he was. He doesn't have the same vitality. I listened to every word Joe Biden spoke.” McCormick, who worked in the White House for 15 years, including from 2011 to 2017 under the Obama administration, says Biden’s speech at the Democratic National Convention “wasn’t the Biden I knew.” "When I saw him do his speech at the Democratic National Convention, that wasn't the Joe Biden I knew," McCormick said. "That guy was reading from a teleprompter, and it was almost verbatim, and he's never done that." President Trump and...
    Former Trump lawyer Michael Cohen spoke out to Rachel Maddow Tuesday night and talked about a range of subjects, including President Donald Trump’s infamous relationship with the National Enquirer. Maddow noted that he claims in his book that Trump “personally approved that insane story in the National Enquirer” that said Ted Cruz’s dad was linked to the man who killed JFK. “Do you know if Senator Cruz knows that Donald Trump approved that personally and made that happen personally?” she asked. “He does now,” Cohen wryly responded. Maddow asked Cohen if Trump was really getting the Enquirer “to run stories one after the other on all the Republican primary candidates.” “As each candidate was moving up, let’s say Marco Rubio, David Pecker would reach out to me and he would give me a list of things that he was intending to do in order to squash Ted Cruz’s or...
    Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden appeared to back off his own previous calls for a nationwide mask mandate, saying during a Sunday evening interview that such a mandate might run into a “constitutional issue.” Biden, who has been calling for a mask mandate since mid-August, raised the question of constitutionality with Dennis Welch, political editor of Arizona’s Family and host of “Politics Unplugged.” Biden explained that he would instead attempt to set a standard that other Americans would follow. WATCH: Biden now says a national mask mandate is probably unconstitutional and he wouldn’t do it. This is a full 180-degree reversal. pic.twitter.com/cSxo6Q5LCD — Alex Marlow (@AlexMarlow) September 7, 2020 “Here’s the deal, the federal government…there’s a constitutional issue whether the federal government could issue such a mandate, I don’t think constitutionally they could, so I wouldn’t issue a mandate. But I’d plead with … I carry my mask with me...
    President Trump says he is prepared to spend his own money on his reelection effort following a string of reports that his campaign is facing a cash crunch. Last month, Joe Biden and the Democratic National Committee raised $365 million, setting a new record for one month of presidential fundraising. At the same time, Trump's campaign has gone dark in a number of states, pulling advertising amid reports that it has lost its financial advantage over the former vice president's campaign. On Tuesday, Trump said he would consider using his own money. “If I have to, I will," he told reporters before boarding Air Force One. News Donald Trump White House Campaign 2020 Elections Democratic National Committee Joe Biden
    Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden declared on Aug. 13 that he would call for a nationwide face mask mandate. "Every single American should be wearing a mask when they're outside for the next three months, at a minimum," Biden said in August. "Let's institute a mask mandate nationwide starting immediately, and we will save lives." Biden's running mate, Sen. Kamala Harris (D-Calif.), eagerly approved of Biden's mask mandate. "That's what real leadership looks like," Harris said on the same day. "We just witnessed real leadership. Which is Joe Biden said that as a nation, we should all be wearing a mask for the next three months, because it will save lives." During Biden's acceptance speech on the final night of the 2020 Democratic National Convention, he firmly declared that he would implement a national mask mandate if elected president. "We'll have a national mandate to wear a mask...
    Germany – Spain ngel Zubieta, in 1936, is still the youngest to debut with the national team Ansu Fati, debutant 800 with Spain … and goal annulled for lack of Ramos RTVE Luis Enrique I moved pieces to rest and the first change was Ansu Fati. The youngest player on the team came in to seek more depth after a first match in which the national team lacked a point of verticality. With the player’s input Barcelona The Spanish international count has been set to 800 since the first match of Spain was played on August 28, 1920. In addition, Ansu Fati becomes the second youngest international to debut. Today he is 17 years and 308 days old, while Ángel Zubieta made his debut with the national team on April 26, 1936 in Prague. He was 17 years and 283 days old. Mind you,...
    Co-owner of the New York Giants John Mara revealed he will support players that choose to kneel during the National Anthem. However, Mara also claimed his “preference” is for the Giants players to stand during a discussion with reporters Thursday, according to Giants Wire. “My preference is that everybody stand, but if you decide in your conscience that kneeling is the right thing to do, I’m going to support your right to do that because I believe in the First Amendment,” Mara said, according to the outlet. “I believe in the right of people, especially the players, to take a knee in silent protest if that’s what they want to do.” (RELATED: REPORT: NFL Could Do Away With Live National Anthem Performances Due To Coronavirus) “My position back in 2017 is the same as it is now,” he reportedly added. The Giants have started a community charity campaign called #TogetherBlue....
    The forward loosed his hair during training with the Wales national team While differences between Real Madrid and Gareth Bale come to the fore, the forward is focused on his national team and it was precisely in one of these training sessions that he was captured as he is rarely seen: with his hair down. Bale was in practice for the duel that Wales will hold against Finland, when for a few moments He showed in all its splendor that long hair that he always has tied. Gareth Bale’s hair ???? pic.twitter.com/bVMyrjzpw6 – TNT Sports LA (en ????) (@TNTSportsLA) September 2, 2020 Unofficial versions assure that the gunner has not cut his hair for a year and it is easy to believe, since for several years we have remembered him with his characteristic hairstyle, but he had not shown such long hair, which...
    (CNN)More than a week after Jacob Blake was shot, his family said his life is no longer in danger -- but still so few of their questions have been answered. "He's slowly but surely able to talk a little better, able to stay up a little longer, hold the hand of his father," Justin Black, his uncle, told CNN's John Berman on Tuesday. But even when Blake does talk, he added, he can't seem to get past questions around the incident that put him in the hospital.Jacob Blakes father has received threats in the aftermath of his sons shooting, he saysOn August 23, Blake, a Black man, was shot seven times by a White police officer in Kenosha, Wisconsin, leaving the 29-year-old paralyzed from the waist down. Calls for justice broke out in the city, and an arrest was made after two protesters were shot. Though President Donald Trump visited...
    And when violence broke out in Kenosha, Wisconsin, a week ago, Trump's demand that National Guard troops be used came a day after the Democratic governor had already activated them. National Guard units in each state answer to the governor and sometimes state legislatures, not to the president. When National Guard forces from outside Wisconsin came in to help, it was because the governor has asked for that help from fellow governors, not the White House. You would know none of this from Trump's Twitter account and much of his other rhetoric in recent weeks as he has assailed Democratic officials in Minnesota, Oregon, and Wisconsin for not doing enough quickly enough to stem violence. Here's how Trump's words played against reality after a Kenosha, Wisconsin, police officer shot Jacob Blake, sparking protests and yet more violence over police actions and racism: TRUMP, TUESDAY, AUG. 25: "Governor should call in...
    President Trump condemned the violence in Democratic-run cities, telling "The Ingraham Angle" Monday night it should be handled by law enforcement. When host Laura Ingraham asked the president if he wanted his supporters to confront the left-wing protesters, Trump responded, "Oh, I don't want them to." "Leave it to law enforcement," he said. TRUMP SUGGESTS 'SOME VERY STUPID RICH PEOPLE' ARE FUNDING PROTEST GROUPS, RIOTERS AT RNC AND ACROSS US "But my supporters are wonderful, hardworking, tremendous people," Trump said, "and they turn on the television set and they look at a Portland or they look at a Kenosha before I got involved and stopped it." CNN'S DON LEMON PRAISES BIDEN AFTER URGING HIM TO CONDEMN RIOTS: HE PUT TRUMP 'ON HIS HEELS' Trump slammed Portland Mayor Ted Wheeler as "incompetent" after the Democrat blamed Trump for the violent confrontation that led to the killing of a Patriot Prayer supporter in the Oregon city over the weekend....
    Ja’Ron Smith, assistant to the president for domestic policy, spoke Thursday night in support of President Donald Trump at the Republican National Convention. Smith, the highest ranking black White House official in the Trump administration, drew from his experience growing up in the Rust Belt city of Cleveland. He said he then built a life that led to Howard University and eventually to the White House, painting a picture of the president as a caring man with “deep empathy.” “At first, I didn’t live the values my parents taught me,” Smith said. “I won a starting spot on the varsity football team, but I only had a 1.9 GPA. But then, I broke my leg. It took a broken leg for me to really get moving in life. I prioritized school work, went to Howard and ended up working for the president of the United States.” WATCH: “Growing up, I’d...
    Democratic vice presidential candidate Kamala Harris accused President Donald Trump of ignoring 'the reality of America right now' pointing to this week's Republican National Convention programming.   'The Republican convention is designed for one purpose - to soothe Donald Trump's ego. To make him feel good,' Harris said in blistering remarks Thursday, given hours before Trump will deliver his renomination address.   Speaking at the George Washington University in Washington, D.C., Harris opened her prebuttle by both defending Black Lives Matter protesters, but like her running mate, former Vice President Joe Biden, slamming rioters and looters and those engaging in violence in recent days.  Democratic vice presidential nominee Kamala Harris went after President Donald Trump in an address delivered in Washington, D.C., hours before he made his renomination address at the Republican National Convention  Kamala Harris went after President Donald Trump for his response to the COVID-19 crisis, while also...
    Mayhem and looting erupted in Minneapolis late Wednesday after a suspected gunman fatally shot himself as police zeroed in to arrest him, but false rumors spread that he had been killed by officers. On Wednesday around 2pm the suspect, a black man, and a woman were in a parking garage where they encountered another man. A confrontation ensued where the suspect with the woman shot the man who approached them, and the couple fled. The woman was taken into custody a short time later. Hours later police located the murder suspect and as they sought to arrest him, he procured a gun and shot himself in front of the Nicollet Mall area downtown around 6pm. However, false rumors emerged that the man was shot police, sparking widespread looting in the city still reeling from the death of George Floyd in May.   An immediate curfew was declared and the governor and...
    Former national security lawyer Lt. Col. Yevegeny Vindman has filed a whistleblower report claiming he suffered retaliation for flagging ethics issues and accusing White House national security advisor Robert O'Brien of making 'demeaning' comments toward female staff. Vindman, the twin brother of impeachment witness Lt. Col. Alexander Vindman, spelled out the accusations in a report he filed with the Acting Pentagon inspector General – claiming he was kept out of key meetings and ultimately forced out of his job after bringing ethics concerns to higher-ups.  Like his brother, Vindman also raised concerns about President Donald Trump's July 25, 2019 phone call with the head of Ukraine where Trump asked President Volodymyr Zelensky to investigate his 2020 political rival Joe Biden. National Security Advisor Robert O'Brien would 'inappropriately comment on women’s looks, ‘talk down’ to women and exclude women from meetings' according to a complaint filed by Lt. Col. Yevegeny...
    Hurricane Laura Could Become a COVID-19 Superspreader as Storm heads for Hotspots Texas and Louisiana A regional supermarket chain just filed for bankruptcy despite surging grocery sales On this day four years ago, Colin Kaepernick began his peaceful protests during the national anthem Before Colin Kaepernick kneeled, he sat. And this quiet action of protest was largely unnoticed until Aug. 26, 2016. How NFC West teams will or wont make the playoffs USA TODAY SPORTS See more videos SHARE SHARE TWEET SHARE EMAIL What to watch next 3 shot, 2 fatally in Kenosha during 3rd night of protests ABC 7 Chicago 3rd night of protests turns violent in Wisconsin ABC News Demonstrators gather in downtown LA for second night to protest police shootings ABC 7 Los Angeles National Guard Reinforcements Arrive To Relieve Bay Area Firefighters CBS SF Bay Area Community...
    Bradley Cortright August 25, 2020 0 Comments Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden’s campaign is blasting Secretary of State Mike Pompeo ahead of his scheduled speech at the Republican National Convention on Tuesday. Pompeo is scheduled to deliver remarks from Israel, a move that has drawn criticism from some who have noted that the sitting secretary of state usually does not participate in a political convention. Additionally, Chairman of the House Foreign Affairs Committee Eliot Engel (D-N.Y.) tweeted on Monday that his committee had found an internal document that showed Pompeo had approved new restrictions that prohibit Senate-confirmed appointees from participating in political events. "Senate-confirmed Presidential appointees may not even attend a political party convention or convention-related event."Just last month, in a cable to every @StateDept office and diplomatic post that went out with his own signature, Secretary Pompeo reiterated this guidance. pic.twitter.com/fCYK4btZr5— House Foreign Affairs Committee (@HouseForeign) August 24, 2020The State Department...
    US coronavirus: While nationwide surge may be slowing, officials warn of troubling Covid-19 signs across US heartland The discount grocer Lidl is opening 50 new stores. See if its coming to your town. Jerry Jones is trying to compromise with his players on protests during national anthem The killings of George Floyd and Breonna Taylor at the hands of police officers a few months ago sparked a movement around the country. © Provided by For The Win People were fed up. They were tired of seeing unarmed Black people losing their lives to police brutality. They took to the streets in protest in the midst of a pandemic because of that. Many professional athletes were involved in those protests. And they’re still talking about the issues and inequities Black folks face in this country today. Many of the NFL’s players are looking to keep that going. They’ve made it...
            by Tali Arbel  NEW YORK, New York (AP) — Video app TikTok said it will wage a legal fight against the Trump Administration’s efforts to ban the popular, Chinese-owned service over national-security concerns. TikTok, which is owned by China’s ByteDance, insisted Monday that it is not a national-security threat and that the government is acting without evidence or due process. The company said it will file suit against the government later Monday in federal court in California. A copy of the complaint could not be obtained. President Donald Trump has issued two executive orders in August, first a sweeping but unspecified ban on any“transaction” with ByteDance, to take effect within 45 days. He then ordered ByteDance to sell assets used to support TikTok in the U.S. Over past year, TikTok has tried to put distance between its app, which it says has 100 million U.S. users, and its Chinese owners. It installed...
    Wisconsin shooting: Kenosha police shoot Black man as children watch from a vehicle, attorney says 14 hotels across the US that offer standalone cottages, villas, cabins, and bungalows for a socially distant stay Roger Goodell opens up about the much-needed conversation he had with his Black nephew NFL commissioner Roger Goodell was watching an episode of former linebacker Emmanuel Acho’s digital show, “Uncomfortable Conversations with a Black Man,” when he realized something about his own life. He needed to talk with his nephew, Charlie. ‘We’ve got to make this world better’Goodell sat down with Acho for a two-part series that aired on Sunday and Monday. They discussed a number of topics in the digital show, including former quarterback Colin Kaepernick and protesting by kneeling during the national anthem. Early in the show on Monday, Goodell watched a segment from an earlier episode that featured a multiracial family and children being...
    President Donald Trump's disgraced personal lawyer Michael Cohen is starring in an ad financed by a Democratic group that dropped just hours before the first night of the Republican National Convention.  'I'm here to tell you he can't be trusted and you shouldn't believe a word he utters,' Cohen says of his former boss, in an ad from the Democratic super PAC, American Bridge 21st Century.   Cohen, now out of jail thanks to the coronavirus crisis, says he knows the 'real Donald Trump' and that he was 'part of creating an illusion.'  President Donald Trump's ex-fixer Michael Cohen starred in a new Trump-bashing ad that was released in the hours before the first night of the Republican National Convention  American Bridge 21st Century, a Democratic super PAC, released an ad featuring Michael Cohen Monday night  Cohen points out that while Trump talks about law aand order 'everyone...
    In this photo illustration, the Tik Tok app is displayed on an Apple iPhone on November 01, 2019 in San Anselmo, California. (Photo Illustration by Justin Sullivan/Getty Images) NEW YORK (AP) — Video app TikTok is suing the Trump Administration over its efforts to ban the popular Chinese-owned service over national-security concerns. TikTok, which is owned by China’s ByteDance, insisted Monday that it is not a national-security threat and that the government is acting without evidence or due process. The company filed suit Monday in federal court in California against the Commerce Department, President Donald Trump and Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross, saying that it sought to prevent the government from “impermissibly banning” TikTok. Read More: Twitter and TikTok explore merger as Trump ban looms President Donald Trump has issued two executive orders in August, first a sweeping but unspecified ban on any“transaction” with ByteDance, to take effect within 45 days. He then ordered ByteDance to sell assets used to...
    By TALI ARBEL, AP Technology Writer NEW YORK (AP) — Video app TikTok said it will wage a legal fight against the Trump Administration's efforts to ban the popular, Chinese-owned service over national-security concerns. TikTok, which is owned by China's ByteDance, insisted Monday that it is not a national-security threat and that the government is acting without evidence or due process. The company said it will file suit against the government later Monday in federal court in California. A copy of the complaint could not be obtained. President Donald Trump has issued two executive orders in August, first a sweeping but unspecified ban on any“transaction” with ByteDance, to take effect within 45 days. He then ordered ByteDance to sell assets used to support TikTok in the U.S. Over past year, TikTok has tried to put distance between its app, which it says has 100 million U.S. users, and its Chinese...
    Republicans officially nominated Donald Trump to be their candidate in November on Monday as the president prepares to speak on all four days of the GOP Convention. The nomination came as Trump landed in North Carolina Monday afternoon and also as his campaign unveiled earlier in the day its 49-point plan for his second term, including a ‘return to normal’ by next year. The plan also focuses on creating 10 million new in 10 months jobs, including bringing 1 million manufacturing jobs back to the U.S. from China. It also has a whole section dedicated to ‘eradicating COVID-19,’ which includes a ‘return to normal by 2021,’ ‘developing a vaccine by the end of 2020’ and ‘holding China fully accountable for allowing the virus to spread around the world.’ The other points of the plan features sections on healthcare, education, ‘draining the swamp,’ defending police, ending illegal immigration and protecting Americans...
    NEW YORK (AP) — Video app TikTok said it will wage a legal fight against the Trump Administration’s efforts to ban the popular, Chinese-owned service over national-security concerns. TikTok, which is owned by China’s ByteDance, insisted Monday that it is not a national-security threat and that the government is acting without evidence or due process. The company said it will file suit against the government later Monday in federal court in California. A copy of the complaint could not be obtained. President Donald Trump has issued two executive orders in August, first a sweeping but unspecified ban on any“transaction” with ByteDance, to take effect within 45 days. He then ordered ByteDance to sell assets used to support TikTok in the U.S. Over past year, TikTok has tried to put distance between its app, which it says has 100 million U.S. users, and its Chinese owners. It installed a...
    Donald Trump delivered remarks to the Council for National Policy on Friday and said he felt “embarrassed” about his Republican National Convention speech in 2016. As reported by Raw Story, Trump used the previous address to claim he was the one to take control of America and solve its problems. “You know, when I made that statement, I was a little embarrassed, because it sounds so egotistical,” he said. “It’s like an egotistical statement. I was a little embarrassed.” After touching on his purported self-awareness, Trump doubled down on his comments. “But there was no other way to say it. We have to win the election. I’m the one… If we don’t win it’s all gone. Okay? It’s all gone.” As reported by The Guardian, Trump said in his 2016 RNC speech that his jump into politics was to take on those in power and ensure they can no longer...
    Savannah Rychcik August 21, 2020 0 Comments While Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden considers Pennsylvania home, President Donald Trump ridiculed him for abandoning the state when he was 10-years-old. During the 2020 Council for National Policy Meeting in Arlington, Virginia on Friday, Trump garnered laughs and applause from the audience for his remarks about Biden departing Pennsylvania. “I was in Pennsylvania yesterday, a place that he said he was born in, which is true, but he left when he was like 9-years-old. So he left a long time ago,” Trump said. He continued, “He left seven decades ago, and he still calls it his home, and his real home is a place he never leaves anymore, never leaves.”Watch his comments below: Trump is out here attacking Biden for moving away from Pennsylvania when he was 10 pic.twitter.com/x2KQchMw1F— Aaron Rupar (@atrupar) August 21, 2020During Trump’s rally outside of Mariotti Building Products in...
    Tiffany Trump will make a rare public appearance next week when she joins her siblings at the Republican National Convention to support President Donald Trump's bid for a second term. Unlike her older siblings, Tiffany, 26, has played a more low-key role in the Trump administration. While a representative for the Trump Organization told DailyMail.com that Tiffany will be at next's week gathering, no details have been released on what she'll be doing. At the convention in Cleveland, four years ago, Tiffany gave a well-received speech, where she talked about her father in personal terms, showing a different side to the GOP nominee. 'My dad is a natural-born encourager, the last person who will ever tell you to lower your sights or give up your dreams,' she told the crowd.  Tiffany Trump will make a rare public appearance next week when she joins at the Republican National Convention to...
    When former President Obama addresses the Democratic National Convention on Wednesday night, he not only plans to describe working alongside his former partner, Joe Biden, but also intends to use a major national address to encourage Americans to vote. Mr. Obama is set to address the convention on the same night as some of the party's biggest female stars — Hillary Clinton, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and Senator Kamala Harris, the party's vice presidential nominee.  A spokeswoman says the former president plans to "talk about watching Joe's success firsthand in helping to lead America out of a dire recession and jump-start our economy, expand health care for tens of millions of Americans, and restore our standing in the world." In urging Americans to vote, Mr. Obama will "highlight the cynical moves by the current administration and the Republican Party to discourage Americans from voting," the spokeswoman said. "He'll make a pointed case that democracy...
    Former US President Bill Clinton delivers remarks on the second day of the Democratic National Convention at the Wells Fargo Center, July 26, 2016 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.Getty Images WASHINGTON -- Former President Bill Clinton laid out a stark choice Tuesday night for voters during the second night of the virtual Democratic National Convention: Either elect a "go-to-work president" in Democrat Joe Biden or reelect incumbent Donald Trump, who would use a second term to "blame, bully and belittle."  "If you want a president who defines the job as spending hours a day watching TV and zapping people on social media, he's your man," said Clinton. "Denying, distracting, and demeaning works great if you're trying to entertain and inflame. But in a real crisis, it collapses like a house of cards." By contrast, said Clinton, Democrats are "united in offering you a very different choice: a go-to-work president. A down-to-earth, get-the-job-done guy....
    An experienced hiker over the age of 50 was stranded in the Santa Fe National Forest for 14 days and was finally rescued when a stranger heard his desperate calls for help. The frantic two-day rescue mission unfolded on Saturday when hiker John Utsey was walking with his kids up Winsor Trail. Utsey called out for his daughter and heard a stranger’s voice reply from way off the trail, leading to the discovery of the lost man who was starving, delirious, had lips so badly chapped they were bleeding, and pain in his back that prevented him from standing. 'He was lying beside a creek. His legs didn’t...he couldn’t stand, he couldn’t move, he was delirious. So he wasn’t making much sense,' Utsey said to KRQE.  'His lips were all chapped to the point they were bleeding. His tongue was swollen; he was super gaunt and skinny. I was like...
    MICHELLE Obama has dubbed Joe Biden a "decent man" and said he "will manage a good team" if elected President come November. The former First Lady is the keynote speak for the opening night of the Democratic National Convention, which will be taking place virtually over the next four days. 4 Michelle Obama has dubbed Joe Biden a "decent man" and said he "will manage a good team" as presidentCredit: 2020 Democratic National Convention 4 Michelle Obama is the keynote speaker for the opening night of the Democratic National Convention, on MondayCredit: AFP - Getty In a preview of her keynote speech, released on YouTube, Michelle Obama said: "I know Joe. He is a profoundly decent man, guided by faith. "He was a terrific Vice President. He knows what it takes to rescue an economy, beat back a pandemic and lead our country. And he listens. "He will tell the...
    Bradley Cortright August 17, 2020 0 Comments Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-N.Y.) is expressing her displeasure with former Ohio Gov. John Kasich’s (R) claim that she does not represent the views of her party.  Ocasio-Cortez shared a portion of an interview Kasich did with BuzzFeed News, where he suggested the progressive star does not represent the Democratic Party. In the interview, Kasich said, “You know, I listen to people all the time make these statements, and because AOC gets outsized publicity doesn’t mean she represents the Democratic Party.” “She’s just a part, just some member of it. And it’s on both sides, whether it’s the Republicans or whether it’s the Democrats,” he added. However, Ocasio-Cortez took issue with a former Republican governor appearing to claim he knows who represents the Democrats. “It’s great that Kasich has woken up &realized the importance of supporting a Biden-Harris ticket. I hope he gets through to...
    Some of President Donald Trump’s allies in the West Wing are angered that Deputy National Security Adviser Matt Pottinger insists on wearing a mask during a global, deadly pandemic, according to the Daily Beast. Journalists Erin Banco and Asawin Suebsaeng, in article published on August 17, report that “a select group of officials have grown increasingly frustrated with Deputy National Security Adviser Matt Pottinger for putting on a mask shortly after the coronavirus outbreak was declared a pandemic,” Banco and Suebsaeng explain. “Months later, these senior officials still trash Pottinger behind closed doors for his decision to wear a mask at a time when their boss, President Donald Trump, and other senior administration officials chose to avoid wearing face coverings, according to three senior officials and one former official.” One of those officials, presumably interviewed on condition of anonymity, told the Beast that Pottinger’s insistence on wearing face masks in...
    Donald Trump lashed out at NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell Sunday morning for going back on banning professional football players from kneeling for the national anthem. 'He's going to kill football,' Trump told Sinclair's Eric Bolling during an interview on 'America This Week' with the former Fox News host. 'People aren't going to watch.' The president also bashed Goodell for dressing too casually for the video announcement posted earlier this summer, and compared him to presumptive Democratic nominee Joe Biden, who created a makeshift television studio in his basement to accommodate for virtual appearances in the midst of the coronavirus pandemic. 'I thought this was over,' Trump said of his fighting with the NFL over players kneeling for the American Flag and Star Spangled Banner. 'And then Roger Goodell, from his basement, like Biden, in a blue t-shirt as opposed to a suit – he looks much more handsome in a...
    DONALD Trump pledged $100,000 of his salary to repair the national monuments that were damaged during the police brutality protests. A quarter of the president's $400,000 annual pay will be given to the National Park Service to restore the ruined monuments, Trump said. 6Trump said he would donate a quarter of his year'y salary to reparing the monuments Credit: AFP or licensors 6He made the announcement on Twitter 6An image of George Floyd is projected on the base of the statue of Confederate General Robert E. Lee on June 8 in Richmond, VACredit: AP:Associated Press “I promised YOU I would not take a dime of salary as your President,” Trump tweeted on Friday. “I donate the entire $400,000! It is my honor to give $100,000 to @NatlParkService to help repair and restore our GREAT National Monuments. “So important to our American History! Thank You!!” Confederate statues were damaged, destroyed or...
    A former national security adviser claims President Donald Trump has given his 'blessing' for Russia to interfere with the 2020 election. Susan Rice, who had been a potential running mate for Democrat nominee Joe Biden before he picked Kamala Harris Tuesday, said Trump has refused to call out Russian meddling in the election. Ms Rice is considered one of the country’s leading experts on foreign policy and served as ambassador of the United Nations from 2009 to 2013 under President Obama. She worked closely with Biden when she served in the White House as President Barack Obama's national security adviser.   Forer national security advisor Susan Rice has said President Donald Trump has given his 'blessing' for Russia to interfere with the 2020 election Susan Rice, who had been a potential running mate for Democrat nominee Joe Biden before he picked Kamala Harris Tuesday, said Trump has refused to call out Russian meddling...
    Rep. Karen Bass won't be the 2020 Democratic vice presidential nominee. Joe Biden, the presumptive 2020 Democratic standard-bearer, personally told the California lawmaker, elected in 2010, she hadn't made the cut, according to CNN. After months of speculation, Biden, himself a former vice president, informed his senior advisers Tuesday he'd selected his running mate. Bass, 66, is a prominent voice in the Congressional Black Caucus, chairing the body since 2018. She also spearheaded the Biden campaign's joint task force with Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders that was focused on the economy. Prior to representing her Los Angeles-based district in Washington, D.C., the trained physician assistant and social worker was speaker of the California State Assembly, steering California's response to the 2007–2008 financial crisis. The daughter of a letter-carrier father and a homemaker mother was the first black woman to hold that position in any of the country's state legislatures. Bass...
    ▶ Watch Video: Biden to announce running mate soon; Trump campaign launches bus tours in key states The former vice president and presumptive Democratic presidential nominee has interviewed top finalists to fill the role he once held and an announcement of his choice is still expected this week, according to multiple people familiar with the search. Joe Biden has interviewed his top choices either in person or remotely. Last week, for example, Michigan Governor Gretchen Whitmer flew to Delaware to meet with him in person. Other meetings have been held either by telephone or video conferencing, said the people familiar with the process who were granted anonymity to speak frankly. Aides to several of the contenders, including Whitmer, former National Security Adviser Susan Rice, Representative Karen Bass and senators Tammy Duckworth, Kamala Harris and Elizabeth Warren declined to comment on Monday. Most of the contenders remained in the Washington area...
    My column for National Review over the weekend was about the Obama-Biden administration’s exploitation of the government’s intelligence and law-enforcement apparatus to investigate Donald Trump, who was then the opposition Republican Party’s presidential candidate. The essence of this investigation is palpable from an August 2016 incident: The FBI covertly surveilled Trump by capitalizing on the U.S. intelligence community’s practice of providing a counterintelligence and security briefing to the nominees of the two major political parties. CLICK HERE TO GET THE OPINION NEWSLETTER The exploitation of executive power to monitor the opposition party’s presidential candidate is a Watergate-level abuse of power. That is why Obama and FBI apologists have steadfastly refused to cop to it. CLICK HERE TO GET FOX NEWS APP A major element of their story is that the faux briefing given to Trump was actually a defensive briefing. We are to believe its purpose was to warn Trump...
              Live from Music Row Wednesday morning on The Tennessee Star Report with Michael Patrick Leahy – broadcast on Nashville’s Talk Radio 98.3 and 1510 WLAC weekdays from 5:00 a.m. to 8:00 a.m. –  host Leahy welcomed Tennessee Star National Correspondent Neil W. McCabe to the newsmakers line. During the second hour, McCabe discussed his recent story at The Star where he interviewed attorney Lin Wood known for the Covington High School case. He explained how Wood decided to help Carter Page in his lawsuit against the claims that he was a Russian spy by joining his legal team. Leahy: Neil McCabe our good friend! Welcome, Neil. How are you this morning? McCabe: Phenomenal and getting better every day Michael. Leahy: Washington journalist. Our National Correspondent Neil W. McCabe is here. And we just published your exclusive story about why Nicolas Sandman’s lawyer joined the Carter Page team....
    PRESIDENT Trump said he will "probably" give his Republican National Convention speech from the White House due to coronavirus. Trump told Fox & Friends on Wednesday that he thinks his speech will likely be given from Washington D.C., after he canceled the GOP convention in Florida. 7President Trump said he will 'probably' give his RNC speech at The White HouseCredit: The Mega Agency 7Trump after giving his acceptance speech at the 2016 RNC in Cleveland, OhioCredit: Reuters "I’ll probably do mine live from the White House," Trump said of his speech for the Republican nomination. "The easiest, least expensive would be from the White House," he added. He said "from the standpoint of security," the White House seems like the best option for him to give his speech. Trump added that the White House is "greatly representative of our nation." The RNC was originally slated to be held in Charlotte,...
    President Donald Trump dug his heels in on the culture war during a Wednesday morning interview on Fox News, but he conceded that if he’s wrong, he’ll “lose an election.” WASHINGTON, DC – AUGUST 04: U.S. President Donald Trump (Photo by Drew Angerer/Getty Images) “When I see them kneeling, I just turn off the game,” he told the Fox & Friends crew when asked about NBA players protesting the National Anthem. “We need to stand up for our flag, We need to stand up for our country and stand up for our anthem, and a lot of people agree with me.” “Hey, if I’m wrong, I will lose an election, and that’s OK with me,” he continued. “I will always stand for our country and flag. That’s what we are all about. WATCH: Earlier in the interview, Trump called Black Lives Matter a “marxist group.” “Black Lives Matter, where...
    Kris Kobach poses with presidenti-elect Donald Trump at the Trump International Golf Club in Bedminster Township, New Jersey on November 20, 2016.Peter Foley/CNP via ZUMA For indispensable reporting on the coronavirus crisis and more, subscribe to Mother Jones' newsletters.Kris Kobach spent the final days of his primary campaign denying that he’s racist. “If I’m a white nationalist, I’m not a very good one,” Kansas’ notorious Republican Senate candidate said at his closing events. In fact, this statement is entirely true. Kobach has the record of a white nationalist, just one who has repeatedly bungled his agenda.  The reason Kobach found himself fending off questions about white nationalism is because his fellow Republicans accused him of having ties to white nationalists in a television ad blanketing Kansas’ airwaves. In a political world that is often sinister, this ad is, like Kobach’s response, an act of political honesty. “Why would Kris Kobach...
    Murcia, Aug 4 (EFE) .- A man has turned himself in to the Civil Guard in Hellín (Albacete) after the stabbed death of his 68-year-old father in Murcia, and he was transferred at noon on Tuesday to dependencies. Police from the Murcian capital, police sources have informed EFE. The events occurred early in the morning at the portal of the building where the victim lived, on Calle Infanta Cristina in Murcia, an area adjacent to Juan Carlos I Avenue, entrance to the capital. According to the National Police, the wife of the deceased found the lifeless body of her husband and notified the emergency services, whose health personnel could only certify death. The National Police deployed teams from the homicide unit and cordoned off the area in search of incriminating evidence while the judicial team traveled to the scene to proceed with the removal of the body and its subsequent...
    The NHL’s first player to kneel during the national anthem said he has one regret for his act of protest over the weekend. Matt Dumba, who is from Canada and plays for the Minnesota Wild, knelt during "The Star-Spangled Banner" but stood during a rendition of “O, Canada” before a game on Saturday. He addressed criticisms he received for the move this week, saying he regrets not kneeling during the Canadian anthem. "There needs to be a lot of light that has to be shed on what is happening in Canada and the oppression First Nations have felt for hundreds of years," he said during a press call Sunday. "I have First Nations and Aboriginal families that have lived it, and I was disappointed looking back on it." Dumba added that he will no longer kneel in protest but will rather raise his hand in a fist for both...
    An 18-year-old teenage New Jersey National Guard private recorded the moment he killed a 51-year-old father over an ongoing driving feud because he wanted to be TikTok famous, according to the dead man's lawyer. Zachary Latham, fatally stabbed and Tasered William 'Timmy' Durham Sr. in May after two years of confrontations over his alleged reckless driving on a residential road where they lived. Latham was charged with first-degree manslaughter after claiming his actions were in self-defense and the dead man's wife and two children have been charged with criminal trespass and aggravated or simple assault. But lawyers for Durham's family want the charges against the grieving family dropped as they claim Durham lured the family into the fatal confrontation and blame police for not doing anything about the matter earlier, noting Latham's history of trouble. Zachary Latham, 18, (left), fatally stabbed and Tasered William 'Timmy' Durham Sr. (right)...
    The Twitter account for “The Dan Le Batard Show with Stugotz” posted an absurd tweet Monday about Jonathan Isaac. According to Outkick, the official Twitter account for the show hosted by Dan Le Batard tweeted and then deleted a poll asking, “Is it funny that the guy who refused to kneel immediately blew out his knee?” (RELATED: David Hookstead Is The True King In The North When It Comes To College Football) You can see a screenshot of the deleted tweet below. @espn don’t worry . We say it pic.twitter.com/1IR2w1A6Mq — Bubba (@FinsBubba) August 3, 2020 Orlando Magic player Jonathan Isaac was the first player in the NBA to stand for the national anthem when the league started back up in Orlando at Disney. Orlando Magic player Jonathan Isaac stood alone for the national anthem. This is what courage looks like. When the rest of the NBA took a knee, Isaac stood with pride...
    Orlando Magic player Jonathan Isaac tore his ACL during a Sunday loss to the Sacramento Kings. Isaac, who famously stood alone during the national anthem, cut down the lane and blasted his knee while trying to stop. (RELATED: David Hookstead Is The True King In The North When It Comes To College Football) It was clear immediately that he was seriously injured. You can watch the play below. Jonathan Isaac was taken off the court in a wheelchair following an apparent knee injury. pic.twitter.com/z4D9zd4baH — SportsCenter (@SportsCenter) August 3, 2020 According to Adrian Wojnarowski, Isaac tore his ACL in his left leg, and that means he’s done for the year. Disappointing news: Orlando Magic F Jonathan Isaac has suffered a torn ACL in his left knee, source tells ESPN. Isaac missed 31 games with knee injury earlier and worked his way back for restart. A much longer rehab awaits him now. — Adrian Wojnarowski...
    Photo by Hannah Foslien/Getty Images The Minnesota Wild’s Matt Dumba raised his first during the national anthem. There’s no question athletes have a platform unlike any other point in sports history. Thanks to the power of social media, and with the current climate of widespread social unrest in the United States, many professional athletes are making their stances on social issues well known. Now that the NHL is officially back, Minnesota Wild defenseman Matt Dumba is one such player to take a public stand. On Saturday, the 26-year-old knelt during the national anthem, becoming the first NHL player to do so. On Sunday, he raised his right fist in the air during the anthem, leaving it up for both the American national anthem and the Canadian national anthem. Matt Dumba with a fist in the air during the anthem pic.twitter.com/j64U0YqzrY — CJ Fogler #BlackLivesMatter (@cjzero) August 3, 2020 Matt Dumba...
    Microsoft says it is 'prepared to explore purchase of TikTok' in the United States after its CEO spoke to Donald Trump following his threat to ban the app.   The news comes after Trump told reporters onboard Air Force One on Friday that he would issue an order for social media platform TikTok to be banned in the United States as early as Saturday.  Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said on Sunday that the president will take action shortly on Chinese software companies that are feeding data directly to the Beijing government, posing a risk to U.S. national security. 'President Trump has said 'enough' and we're going to fix it and so he will take action in the coming days with respect to a broad array of national security risks that are presented by software connected to the Chinese Communist Party,' Pompeo said on Fox News Channel's 'Sunday Morning Futures.'  ...
    Miami Heat center Meyers Leonard has no regrets about standing for the national anthem before a Saturday game. Leonard stood alone before the Heat played the Denver Nuggets, and he’s been blowing up all over social media ever since. Now, he’s defended his choice, and said his brother’s military service is one of the reasons why he stood. (RELATED: David Hookstead Is The True King In The North When It Comes To College Football) Miami Heat player Meyers Leonard stands alone during the national anthem with his hand over his heart as the rest of the team kneels. How many more NBA players will have the courage to stand during the national anthem? pic.twitter.com/bUDOOFbya8 — David Hookstead (@dhookstead) August 1, 2020 “I am with the Black Lives Matter movement and I love and support the military and my brother and the people who have fought to defend our rights in this country,” Leonard explained...
    President Donald Trump went on a 30-post Twitter spree Sunday morning boasting of his accomplishments and railing against presumed Democratic nominee Joe Biden as the president's poll numbers continue to slide. In one post, Trump retweeted a highlight from Fox News' Watters' World where the president's eldest son and adviser bashed Biden's competence. 'It would be truly sad if it wasn't so scary that Joe Biden could be in charge of the nuclear football,' Donald Trump Jr. Told Fox News host Jesse Watters on Saturday night. Despite a prevailing case rate increase of coronavirus in the U.S., the president also touted his handling of the coronavirus pandemic. 'Big China Virus breakouts all over the World, including nations which were thought to have done a great job. The Fake News doesn't report this. USA will be stronger than ever before, and soon!' Trump tweeted in his Sunday morning rant. According to...
    The National Audubon Society is re-examining and confronting the racist and slave-owning past of its namesake. The non-profit environmental organization, dedicated to the conservation of birds and other wildlife, was founded in 1905 and named in honor of Franco-American ornithologist John James Audubon. Audubon is perhaps most famous for illustrating birds in their natural habitats and publishing his book, Birds of America, as a series in sections between 1827 and 1838. But an often glossed-over part of Audubon's history is that he owned many slaves, sold them to others and saw black and indigenous people as being inferior to white people. In a magazine piece, the Society says it plans to speak out and condemn Audubon's past, publish a new biography including his 'ethical failings' and highlight other founders of the organization.   The National Audubon Society, dedicated to the conservation of birds, is named in honor of Franco-American ornithologist John James Audubon (left...
    Orlando Magic player Jonathan Isaac stood alone for the national anthem Friday night. Prior to the Friday night game between the Magic and Nets at the bubble in Disney, everyone except Isaac took a knee during the anthem. (RELATED: David Hookstead Is The True King In The North When It Comes To College Football) Isaac stood with pride and he stood alone. He became the first player in the bubble at Disney to stand for the anthem. You can see a photo of it below. Orlando Magic player Jonathan Isaac stood alone for the national anthem. This is what courage looks like. When the rest of the NBA took a knee, Isaac stood with pride for America. Sometimes, when you stand for what is right, you must stand alone. pic.twitter.com/fl4cb2qbtF — David Hookstead (@dhookstead) July 31, 2020 After the game, Isaac cited his Christian faith and love in the gospel as to why he...
    Jonathan Isaac stands for the national anthem. Ashley Landis, Pool/AP Images Orlando Magic forward Jonathan Isaac was the only player among the Magic and Brooklyn Nets not to kneel during the national anthem. Isaac also wore his own jersey instead of the "Black Lives Matter" warmups players have been wearing. On Thursday, the New Orleans Pelicans, Utah Jazz, Los Angeles Lakers, and LA Cippers all kneeled during the national anthem. The DeVos family, which owns the Magic, released a statement on Friday supporting the players' protest. Visit Insider's homepage for more stories. Orlando Magic forward Jonathan Isaac was the only player during the Magic-Brooklyn Nets game on Friday not to kneel for the national anthem. The move comes after the New Orleans Pelicans, Utah Jazz, Los Angeles Lakers, and LA Cippers all kneeled during the national anthem on Thursday, the opening night of NBA games in the...
    In the wake of devastating new reporting by Vanity Fair, a chorus of voices Friday called for the immediate resignation of Jared Kushner, a top White House advisor and the son-in-law of President Donald Trump, for disastrous—and deadly—failures by the administration that appear to have put the political desires of the president above the public health needs of the American people. The Vanity Fair article takes an exhaustive look at decisions made and actions taken by a secretive task force led by Kushner that was charged with implementing an “aggressive, coordinated national COVID-19 response”—including a federal testing regime that would help stem the spread of the virus. What the investigation uncovered, according to reporter Katherine Eban, was an ultimately “aborted plan” for a far-reaching national testing strategy and a deliberative process that “began not with public health experts but with bankers and billionaires.” While the plan itself devised by the team Kushner put together was characterized as “imperfect” but...
    HONG KONG (Reuters) - Hong Kong democracy activist Joshua Wong said on Friday the reasons for disqualifying him from running in elections for the legislature were "invalid and ridiculous." Wong said in a statement Hong Kong's new national security was a "legal weapon used against dissidents". On Thursday, Hong Kong disqualified a dozen pro-democracy candidates from running in a key election, including Wong, citing reasons including collusion with foreign forces and opposition to the new China-imposed national security laws. (Reporting by Yoyo Chow; Writing by Anne Marie Roantree; Editing by Jacqueline Wong) Copyright 2020 Thomson Reuters.
    (CNN)On the day the US surpassed another tragic milestone -- 150,000 coronavirus deaths -- it became ever clearer that pseudo-science, ideological posturing and mocking the idea of a national strategy are no way to fight a deadly pandemic.Yet President Donald Trump, his friends in Congress, members of his Cabinet, senior staff and supporters are still setting out to undermine the fact-based approaches that might get the virus under control and restore normal life.Trump headed to Texas, currently a massive coronavirus hotspot, on a distraction mission, enjoying a photo op at an oil rig after another episode of his traveling medicine show promoting hydroxychloroquine."All I want to do is save lives," Trump said of a drug that his own government regulators say is not an effective cure for Covid-19.But he was not accompanied on his trip by Republican Rep. Louie Gohmert of Texas, who discovered before getting aboard Air Force One...
    NEW YORK -- A family from Staten Island described the last days of their dog, the first pet canine in the U.S. to test positive for COVID-19, in an exclusive interview with National Geographic.The Mahoneys say, Buddy, their 6-year-old German Shepherd, started having trouble breathing in mid-April.On Easter, Robert Mahoney got the call confirming that he had tested positive for the virus.He had been dealing with symptoms for weeks and during that time Buddy developed thick mucus in his nose and started breathing heavily.The family says so little was known about the virus in animals and so much of the response was focused on saving human lives that it was difficult getting Buddy tested.As they searched for a veterinarian that would test him for COVID-19, Buddy's condition continued to deteriorate.They say he lost weight and became lethargic.Buddy was put on antibiotics, and later, steroids after other testing detected a heart...
    Donald Trump has willfully botched our national response to this pandemic. We have lost over 150,000 American lives over the past five months and all Trump can say is, “We are in the process of developing a strategy.” Another lie. Trump’s plan has been in plain view from the very beginning: to deny, to scapegoat, to gaslight, and to kill. Trump decided early on that losing American lives to COVID-19 was palatable and even preferable to acknowledging the devastating and deadly force of this pandemic. He did not want his re-election chances to be hurt by an economic downturn due to the virus. So, in January and February Trump did not heed at least 12 warnings from governmental agencies about the impending pandemic. His public statements to us were dismissive mistruths: “We have it totally under control,” “It’s going to be just fine,” and “Now the Democrats are politicizing the...
    Pittsburgh Steelers star Stephon Tuitt won’t take a knee during the national anthem. There are going to be gigantic national anthem protests all over the NFL during the 2020 season, but Tuitt won’t be joining. (RELATED: David Hookstead Is The True King In The North When It Comes To College Football) He tweeted Monday that he’s not taking a knee and added, “screw anybody who have a problem with that.” He cited his grandmother being an immigrant as a major reason why he won’t take a knee. Also I’m not kneeling for the flag and screw anybody who have a problem with that. My grandmother was a immigrant from the Carribean and age worked her ass off to bring 20 people over the right way. She had no money and educated herself to be a nurse. She living good now. — stephon tuitt (@DOCnation_7) July 27, 2020 This honestly takes a hell of a...
    Brasilia, Jul 27 (EFE) .- A document signed by 152 of Brazil’s nearly 500 bishops criticizes the “incapacity” and “blindness” of President Jair Bolsonaro, who is accused of promoting “an economy that kills” in the midst of an “unprecedented” pandemic. The manifesto, obtained and published this Monday by some local newspapers, was not commented on by the Episcopate and is attributed to the so-called “progressive wing” of the Catholic Church, which has maintained a critical line for more than a year with the current Government. Under the title “Letter to the People of God”, the document affirms that “Brazil is going through one of the most difficult periods in its history”, and equates it to a “perfect storm”, in which “an unprecedented health crisis coexists” “, due to the COVID-19 pandemic, and” an overwhelming collapse of the economy “. He also adds to this scenario “the tension on the foundations...
    Pittsburgh Steelers defensive end Stephon Tuitt says when and if his teammates kneel during the national anthem before games this year, he won't be joining them. “ ... I’m not kneeling for the flag and screw anybody who have a problem with that,” Tuitt tweeted on Monday. “My grandmother was a immigrant from the Carribean and age [sic] worked her ass off to bring 20 people over the right way. She had no money and educated herself to be a nurse. She living good now.” In a separate Twitter post, sent just minutes earlier, Tuitt said, "I think alot of Athletes need to stop worrying about the public and people who tell them what to do with their money and educated themselves." Also I’m not kneeling for the flag and screw anybody who have a problem with that. My grandmother was a immigrant from the Carribean...
    Some Twitter users blasted NFL legend Mike Ditka as a racist and even suggested he’s a Ku Klux Klan member, following his comments on not supporting players who kneel during the national anthem. The former football player and coach was interviewed by TMZ over the weekend and said that kneeling during the national anthem to protest systemic racism and police brutality is unpatriotic. "If you can't respect our national anthem, get the hell out of the country," Ditka said during the interview about a new women’s tackle football league. "That's the way I feel. Of course, I'm old-fashioned, so I'm only going to say what I feel." "You don't protest against the flag, and you don't protest against this country who's given you the opportunities to make a living playing a sport that you never thought would happen," he added. "So, I don't want to hear all the crap."...
    A hiker in California recorded videos of himself after he broke his leg and was stranded for 40 hours on a California desert trail with no cell phone reception  Robert Ringo, 67,  of La Quinta, wasn't sure he was going to make it out alive when he became stranded at Joshua Tree National Park in early July, so he began recording himself.      Breaking your leg is never fun. Worse even is when it happens during a hike and nobody is around. That scenario happened to Robert Ringo on July 15. https://t.co/ZVVZLj5MXo pic.twitter.com/9VcWEMDk2m— AccuWeather (@accuweather) July 23, 2020 RELATED ARTICLES Previous 1 Next North Korea declares state of emergency after Kim meets advisers to discuss... Seed packets mislabeled as jewelry have been mailed to dozens of Americans in... Share this article Share 'Help! Help!' Ringo screams into the distance. Ringo, who often hikes and hunts,...
    Donald Trump attorney and former New York mayor Rudy Giuliani slammed Major League Baseball players for kneeling in protest during the national anthem on Thursday, singling out his beloved Yankees, who actually demonstrated before The Star-Spangled Banner was even played. 'All those ball players, including the Yankees, taking a knee during the National Anthem of the country that made them millionaires is hypocritical,' Giuliani wrote on Twitter, before attacking the Black Lives Matter movement. 'Support for BLM, which is provoking attacks on our law enforcement and innocent people all over America, is disgraceful.' Giuliani was clearly mistaken. While a handful of San Francisco Giants and Los Angeles Dodgers took a knee to protest racist police brutality during the national anthem in the late game at Dodger Stadium, both the Washington Nationals and New York Yankees stood for the duration of The Star-Spangled Banner before their opener. In a joint...
    A Joshua tree stands at Joshua Tree National Park on January 4, 2019 in Joshua Tree National Park, California. Mario Tama/Getty Images Robert Ringo, 67, spent 40 hours stranded in the desert after falling and breaking his femur at Joshua Tree's Quail Mountain on July 8. He had no cellphone service on the hike, so he had no way to call for help, other than yelling. He had two liters of water with him when he fell and ate juniper berries off a nearby bush to survive.  Ringo had shared his location with his son before he started the hike, and his son launched the search and rescue party that helped find him. "Although he was found in extreme pain and unable to walk, he was in good spirits and was quickly re-hydrated pending extrication," Dave Smith, the park's superintendent, told Insider. Visit Insider's homepage for more stories....
    Mookie Betts chose to take a stand by kneeling on Thursday night. Betts is now the face of baseball, perhaps more than Mike Trout could ever be. But not because of talent or profile or marketability. Betts, arguably the most dominant Black player in baseball today, took a knee before the game alongside his teammates in a show of “unity” among MLB players. Then, while the national anthem played, Betts remained on a knee, while some of his teammates stood up so fast they almost ended up on the Injured List with hamstring tightness. It’s more than enough that MLB players agreed to compromise in a way, wherein (almost) all players kneeled before the national anthem before choosing to stand for it. While the idea is cute, the compromise hijacks and waters down the meaning of what Colin Kaepernick started several years ago. Kneeling during the national anthem shows exactly where you...
    San Francisco Giants pitcher Sam Coonrod refused to kneel during the national anthem Thursday night against the Dodgers. According to NBC Sports, members of the Giants took a knee during the national anthem, and Coonrod didn’t join them. Every member of both teams also kneeled before the anthem. The pitcher also didn’t participate in that action. The reason why? His Christian faith. (RELATED: David Hookstead Is The True King In The North When It Comes To College Football) Sam Coonrod really out here standing lmfao pic.twitter.com/HzYXkRbOyy — shanahanSZN ???? (@ShanahanSZN) July 24, 2020 “I’m a Christian, like I said, and I just can’t get on board with a couple of things that I have read about Black Lives Matter. How they lean toward Marxism and they’ve said some negative things about the nuclear family. I just can’t get on board with that,” Coonrod explained to the media, according to the same NBC Sports report....
    Dodgers outfielder Mookie Betts knelt during the national anthem before Thursday’s game against the Giants in apparent support of the Black Lives Matter movement. Betts, who is Black, was the only Los Angeles player to kneel during the playing of the anthem, though teammates Cody Bellinger and Max Muncy placed their hands on his shoulders. Before the anthem, everyone except Giants relief pitcher Sam Coonrod knelt for a moment of silence in an act of solidarity with recent nationwide protests against police brutality. MORE: Yankees, Nationals kneel before anthem in D.C. opener This week has marked a surge in activism among MLB players, who have historically been quiet on the subject of racism. Reds first baseman Joey Votto was among several players to kneel during the anthem in exhibition games when he made the gesture Wednesday afternoon. MORE: MLB players explain sudden decisions to kneel Baseball is not the only...
    LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA - JULY 23: Mookie Betts #50 of the Los Angeles Dodgers kneels during the national anthem before the game against the San Francisco Giants at Dodger Stadium on July 23, 2020 in Los Angeles, California. (Photo by Harry How/Getty Images) Mookie Betts took a knee prior to his Dodgers debut. Mookie Betts is usually a humble, soft-spoken baseball superstar. So on Thursday, before ever appearing in a regular-season game with the Los Angeles Dodgers, he let his actions do his talking for him. Betts was the only Dodger to kneel in solidarity with the Black Lives Matter movement during the national anthem before L.A.’s Opening Day game against the Giants at Dodgers Stadium. His new teammates that were flanking him, Max Muncy and Cody Bellinger, placed their hand on his shoulder in a gesture of support. Mookie Betts kneeling AND getting support from his brand new teammates...
    Just weeks remain until Joe Biden announces his running mate, and more than a half-dozen women are top contenders in his search. The decision has the potential not only to define his candidacy and the tone of the Democratic ticket heading into the November election but make a statement about the direction of the Democratic Party and set up a front-runner for the presidency in 2024 or 2028 should he be elected. Biden, who said in a May fundraiser that he expects to announce his vice presidential pick around Aug. 1 ahead of the Aug. 17-20 Democratic National Convention, gave a clue on Monday into some of the top contenders on his list. MSNBC host Joy Reid asked Biden whether he would commit to picking a black woman to be on the ticket — a common question for him in the wake of the nationwide race and...
    (CNN)As the National Anthem rang out across the baseball field Monday, Los Angeles Angels' relief pitcher Keynan Middleton took a knee and raised his fist, adding his voice to the widespread protests against racial injustice and police brutality.Middleton, who has been outspoken about the Black Lives Matter movement on his social media accounts, said in an Instagram post on Tuesday that he had participated in peaceful protests over the past few months. He wrote that he decided to kneel before Monday's exhibition game against the San Diego Padres so he could use his platform "to implement change." Before the game today, @since93key took a knee during the playing of the National Anthem @Angels pic.twitter.com/RjzFt3wpsR— FOX Sports West (@FoxSportsWest) July 21, 2020 "Racism is something I've dealt with my entire life. As a Black man in this country it is my obligation to want to better the future for generations to...
    Joe Biden has winnowed down his vice presidential shortlist to a selection of names that includes four black women. "I am not committed to naming any but the people I've named, and among them, there are four black women," Biden told MSNBC Monday. "It is important that my administration, I promise you, will look like America." The presumptive 2020 Democratic presidential nominee and two-term vice president detailed extensively for the first time the process he's undertaking before he unveils his pick before the national convention, slated for Aug. 17-20 in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. That process incorporates two-hour vetting reports, four of which he'd already received. "When I get all the vetting done of all the candidates, then I'm going to narrow the list, and then I'm going to have personal discussions with each of the candidates who are left and make a decision," he said. Florida Rep. Val Demings, California Sen....
    A Minnesota National Guardsman stationed in Minneapolis during the riots, was just getting started when his life was cut short in a head-on collision in Washington County Thursday. Specialist Samuel Leedom, 20, of Oak Park Heights, was driving north on Manning Avenue in West Lakeland Township about 6:30 p.m., doing deliveries for DoorDash. Samuel Leedom (Courtesy of Army National Guard) According to the Washington County Sheriff’s Office, Leedom, who was driving a Nissan Sentra, crossed over the center lane into oncoming traffic and collided head-on with a dump truck near 22nd Street. “My son touched so many people. He’s an amazing boy,” said his mother, Heidi Leedom through tears Monday. She said the news of his death has been like a bad dream from which she can’t wake up. She thought maybe her son was in trouble when a Washington County Sheriff’s deputy pulled up in front of her house...
    THE National Association of Police Organizations announced Wednesday that it is endorsing President Trump in his reelection bid. The association, which represents more than 1,000 police units and 241,000 officers across the country, previously supported Obama-Biden tickets in 2008 and 2012. 4 The National Association of Police Organizations will support President Donald Trump in his reelection bidCredit: AFP or licensors 4 Mick McHale, the NAPO president, offered the group's support to Trump in a public letterCredit: FLPBA In a public letter to Trump, the NAPO President Mick McHale said: "Our endorsement recognizes your steadfast and very public support for our men and women on the front lines, especially during this time of unfair and inaccurate opprobrium being directed at our members by so many." Trump's campaign was quick to promote the endorsement, highlighting that the current president is a "Law and Order President." Trump began using that term last month,...
    National Association of Police Organizations has endorsed President Donald Trump in the 2020 presidential election, citing his 'steadfast' support for law enforcement in a climate of anti-police protests. NAPO President Michael McHale announced the endorsement in a public letter to Trump on Wednesday, after leaders of the group met with the president on Monday. 'Our endorsement recognizes your steadfast and very public support for our men and women on the front lines, especially during this time of unfair and inaccurate opprobrium being directed at our members by so many,' the letter read. 'We particularly value your directing the Attorney General to aggressively prosecute those who attack our officers,' he wrote.  NAPO President Michael McHale (left) announced the endorsement in a public letter to Trump on Wednesday, after leaders of the group met with the president on Monday RELATED ARTICLES Previous 1 Next NYPD...
    A men’s rights activist was fatally shot at his front door in California over the weekend. Marc Angelucci, 52, an attorney and board member of the Los Angeles chapter of the National Coalition for Men (NCFM) was shot on his property in Crestline on Saturday. Authorities received a call around 4pm about the shooting on the 22400 block of Glenwood Drive, according to the San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Department. He was pronounced dead in front of his home. A motive behind the deadly shooting is not known and the investigation is ongoing. The sheriff’s office said the call for help came from inside the residence. Well-known men's rights activist Marc Angelucci, 52, was fatally shot on Saturday afternoon in front of his Crestline, California home Authorities received a call around 4pm about the shooting on the 22400 block of Glenwood Drive, according to the San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Department Angelucci...
    As Colin Kaepernick ignited a national conversation in 2016 by first sitting and then kneeling during the playing of the national anthem, another Bay Area athlete fumed. Shea Salinas, a veteran midfielder for the San Jose Earthquakes, recalled being mad at Kaepernick, the 49ers quarterback who has been unsigned since the season he staged a protest against police brutality toward Black people. “I thought it was silly, I thought it was disrespectful,” Salinas said this week during an hour-long interview in which he volunteered that his views of Kaepernick’s gesture have changed. “I think it was powerful and he accomplished something amazing,” Salinas added. “Unfortunately I am aware of it much later than I wish I had been.” Salinas, 34, said the killing of George Floyd and other African-Americans at the hands of police has led to an awakening that is being witnessed across America. ...
    The family of a Colorado man are demanding answers more than three months after a National Park ranger shot and killed the unarmed 25-year-old during a traffic stop at Carlsbad Caverns in New Mexico. Authorities say Ranger Robert Mitchell stopped Charles 'Gage' Lorentz for erratic driving on March 21.  Lorentz's relatives say the oil field worker was unarmed and was not under the influence of any drugs of alcohol when Mitchell shot him in the heart.  Scroll down for video  Charles 'Gage' Lorentz, 25 (left), was driving from Texas to Colorado when he stopped at Carlsbad Caverns in New Mexico and was killed by National Park Ranger Robert Mitchell (right) This screenshot from Mitchell's body camera video shows the moment the ranger opened fire, shooting Lorentz once in the thigh and once in the heart  Three minutes after opening fire, Mitchell is seen placing handcuffs on the dying...
    ANNAPOLIS, Md. (AP) — Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan, who considered a primary challenge to President Donald Trump last year, said Tuesday he is releasing a book about national politics and his experiences as governor this month after its publication was delayed by the coronavirus pandemic. Such books often serve as an introduction for politicians to a national audience and Hogan, a popular Republican in a heavily Democratic state, has not ruled out a run for his party’s 2024 nomination. Hogan said the book is called “Still Standing: Surviving Cancer, Riots, a Global Pandemic and the Toxic Politics that Divide America.” The book was initially scheduled to be published in June, but publication was delayed until July 28 after Hogan decided to add his experiences as head of the National Governors Association during the pandemic. “It is about our combined successes in the face of extraordinary challenges – the inside...