Friday, Feb 26, 2021 - 04:57:35
1000 results - (0.005 seconds)

as President:

President Joe Biden speaks delivers a foreign policy address during a visit to the State Department in Washington, February 4, 2021.Tom Brenner | Reuters Secretary of State Antony Blinken will hold a virtual meeting with America's key European allies Friday evening to discuss strategy toward Iran, Western diplomats and senior U.S. officials told NBC News. Blinken will discuss Iran with the foreign ministers of Germany, France and the U.K. The diplomats will also consult about the Covid-19 pandemic, climate change and the situation in Myanmar. The last time the secretary of State held a call in this format was in 2018 as the U.S. was pulling out of the Iran nuclear agreement, according to NBC News. The meeting will come after President Joe Biden's National Security Council meets this afternoon to discuss the administration's approach to Iran. White House press secretary Jen Psaki said the NSC meeting is part of...
    President Biden on Friday warned a still-sputtering economy is hampering a full jobs recovery, using his bleak assessment to continue pressuring Republican and Democrats alike to strike a deal on the details of his proposed $1.9 trillion coronavirus relief package. "We're going to be talking about the recovery package, but you saw the jobs report. Only 6,000 private-sector jobs have been created," Biden told reporters in the Oval Office as he convened with Democratic House leaders and Vice President Kamala Harris. "At that rate, it's going to take 10 years before we get to full employment." “That’s not hyperbole. That’s a fact," he added. “We’re going to be in a situation where it takes a long, long time." The United States last came closest to the president's goal of "full employment" in January 2020, when the unemployment rate stood at 3.5%, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. It soon...
    Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan said on Thursday “there is no such thing” as LGBT during a speech denouncing a recent anti-government protest movement launched at an Istanbul university last month. “The LGBT, there is no such thing,” Erdoğan said. “This country is … moral, and it will walk to the future with these values.” Erdoğan’s comments on Thursday came in response to a recent incident at Istanbul’s Bogazici University in which protesters displayed a poster depicting Mecca – Islam’s holiest site in Saudi Arabia, which all Muslims pray towards – with various LGBT flags and symbols. “The poster placed a mythical creature of half-woman and half-snake found in Middle Eastern folklore on the site of worship along with the flags of LGBT, lesbian, trans and asexual people. The text below said the artwork was a critique of traditional gender roles,” according to the Associated Press. Istanbul police on January 30 arrested...
    DOVER, Del (CBS/AP) — President Joe Biden is scheduled to travel to Delaware over the weekend, his first out-of-town trip since taking office. Biden departed Delaware just over two weeks ago, one day ahead of his Inauguration. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends that Americans forgo travel as the coronavirus pandemic rages. Biden, who has a home outside Wilmington, Delaware, has made getting the pandemic under control the central focus of the early weeks of his presidency, with much of his administration’s attention centered on improving the rollout of vaccines. The White House, which announced Biden’s plans for travel Thursday evening, did not immediately respond to a request for comment about why the president planned to travel. Any time the president travels, an entourage of support and security personnel and media travel with him. The CDC’s guidance notes that “travel increases your chance of spreading and getting COVID-19″ and...
    Vice President Harris cast her first tie-breaking votes early Friday morning helping Senate Democrats pass a budget resolution that greenlights them passing coronavirus relief without GOP support.  Harris, who served in the Senate for roughly four years before stepping down to become vice president, arrived at the Capitol on Friday hours into the Senate's all-night vote-a-rama on the budget resolution.  Harris arrived in the chamber, swapping out with Sen. Chris MurphyChristopher (Chris) Scott MurphyFinding common ground on stopping the next pandemic Proposal for permanent Capitol fencing sparks bipartisan pushback Biden wants Democrats to keep Trump trial short MORE (D-Conn.), who had been presiding. The two exchanged an elbow bump and chatted briefly.  Harris then presided over the Senate for three votes, breaking ties on two of them.  Harris cast her first tie-breaking vote on a final amendment from Senate Majority Leader Charles SchumerChuck SchumerSanders, Ocasio-Cortez, Blumenauer aim to require Biden to declare...
    President Biden was portrayed as a "puppet" of far-left Democrats on the campaign trail, but Republicans are being warned against using the same political tactic now that he's in the White House — at least for now. Senate Republicans have suggested Biden is ignoring his gut instinct to broker a bipartisan coronavirus relief deal due to pressure from unelected White House advisers, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, and Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer. The "empty suit" attack was somewhat effective before the election — former President Donald Trump received the second-most votes for president ever, behind only Biden — but Republicans are reminding their own that Biden still won. Republican strategist Evan Siegfried warned the "puppet" tactic resonated more with the Republican Party's base during the campaign rather than with the general electorate at the beginning of a new administration. "The hostage to the Left argument does not seem...
    Former Vice President Mike Pence will be joining the Heritage Foundation as a distinguished visiting fellow, the conservative think tank said Thursday. Pence, 61, will advise the influential organization’s experts on public policy issues and “and ensure Heritage remains the leading conservative voice on solutions to America’s biggest challenges,” the announcement said. He will also deliver a series of speeches and write a monthly column for the think tank’s news outlet, The Daily Signal. “The Heritage Foundation helped shape my conservative philosophy for decades and played a pivotal role advancing conservative policies throughout the Trump Administration,” Pence said in a statement. “I look forward to rolling up my sleeves and working with the all-star team at Heritage as we continue to take the case for a strong national defense, free markets and traditional values to policymakers across the Nation and to every American who cherishes our Heritage of Freedom.”...
    More On: mike pence Accused Capitol rioter Jenny Louise Cudd awaiting ruling on Mexico trip Capitol rioter from upstate NY had bomb-making manuals: prosecutors Mike Pence fights back tears, thanks Trump in farewell speech President Trump’s farewell: Read his full speech Former Vice President Mike Pence will be joining the Heritage Foundation as a distinguished visiting fellow, the conservative think tank said Thursday. Pence, 61, will advise the influential organization’s experts on public policy issues and “and ensure Heritage remains the leading conservative voice on solutions to America’s biggest challenges,” the announcement said. He will also deliver a series of speeches and write a monthly column for the think tank’s news outlet, The Daily Signal. “The Heritage Foundation helped shape my conservative philosophy for decades and played a pivotal role advancing conservative policies throughout the Trump Administration,” Pence said in a statement. “I look forward to rolling up my...
    (CNN)Sen. Ben Sasse of Nebraska stood firm against leaders of his state's Republican Party on Thursday after they advanced a censure resolution against him for decrying efforts to overturn the election results and then-President Donald Trump's involvement in the US Capitol riot.In a video addressing members of the Nebraska GOP State Central Committee, Sasse urged the party to accept critics of the former President and remain true to conservatism as the party's future."Let's be clear: The anger in this state party has never been about me violating principle or abandoning conservative policy -- I'm one of the most conservative voters in the Senate -- the anger's always been simply about me not bending the knee to one guy," Sasse said.Sasse's comments come as the Republican Party at large grapples with warring factions at odds over whether to continue the party in Trump's likeness or forge a new path veering from...
    The Air Force is investigating the unauthorized entry of an intruder into Joint Base Andrews, a military facility located in Prince George's County, Maryland. Word of an "unauthorized individual gained access" who gained access to the base on Thursday emerged not long after the White House released President Biden's public schedule for Friday, showing that he is expected to take his very first Air Force One flight as president out of Joint Base Andrews to his home state of Delaware. “An unauthorized individual gained access to Joint Base Andrews. The incident is under investigation. The Air Force Office of Special Investigations is lead on this investigation," OSI spokeswoman Linda Card told the Military Times. The outlet reported that Card also confirmed that investigators are interviewing a suspect. Tara Copp, a military reporter for McClatchy, said the base would not confirm whether the intruder "go to" any military aircraft kept there....
    As President Joe Biden settles into his new role leading the country, differences from former President Donald Trump regarding the media continue to emerge. This time, the difference has shown itself with regards to sit-down interviews. Biden took part in his first sit-down interview on Wednesday with People Magazine since becoming president. The interview, published on Feb. 3, also featured First Lady Jill Biden, and the duo largely spoke about family and marriage. (RELATED: Here’s Everything You Need To Know From The Bidens’ Interview With People Magazine) “My whole life, I’d always rather be with my boys, with my children,” Biden said during one part of the interview. “I like being with everybody else. But if I got to go away skiing with the boys and my daughter. I went with my grandkids, to me it’s the thing that I care about the most.” Absent was the hard-hitting questions about policies and...
    The Screen Actors Guild was holding a disciplinary meeting to consider revoking former President Trump's membership, but before SAG could make any announcements, Mr. Trump announced he's breaking up with them first. Mr. Trump sent a resignation letter to the organization's president, Gabrielle Carteris, writing "I no longer wish to be associated with your union." "I write to you today regarding the so-called Disciplinary Committee hearing aimed at revoking my union membership. Who cares!" the ex-president wrote . "While I'm not familiar with your work, I'm very proud of my work on movies such as Home Alone 2, Zoolander and Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps; and television shows including The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, Saturday Night Live, and of course, one of the most successful shows in television history, The Apprentice — to name just a few!"   The SAG-AFTRA National Board voted overwhelmingly in late January to find probable cause...
    DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM) – While fewer people may qualify for a federal stimulus check this time, lower income Americans could see a bigger payment than previous two stimulus checks. This week, President Joe Biden met with a group of Senate Republicans to discuss the latest pandemic relief package. Biden has promised the package would include a third direct payment to most Americans but he may be willing to compromise on who gets a check. Biden’s plan calls for a stimulus check of $1,400 per adult, along with $1,400 per child. The Republican plan calls for a $1,000 check per adult with an extra $500 per child. But the contrast between the proposals doesn’t end there. Biden’s plan calls for anyone with an income of $75,000 or under to receive the full payment amount. Here’s what Biden’s plan would look like for a single person. Here’s what Biden’s plan would...
    Turkey's President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has said there is 'no such thing as LGBT' after activists clashed with police during a month-long protest at an Istanbul university. 'The LGBT, there is no such thing,' Erdoğan said during a televised address to his ruling Justice and Development Party (AK) on Wednesday.  'This country is… moral, and it will walk to the future with these values.' Last week, activists hung a poster showing the Kaaba in Mecca, Islam's holiest site, draped in a rainbow flag, outside the office of an Erdogan-appointed rector.   Erdogan gave the university's top spot to former political candidate Melih Bulu, which is seen as undemocratic by the college's students and teachers. They are demanding his resignation.  Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan told members of his party 'there is no LGBT' during a televised address on Wednesday  Erdogan called the protesters 'terrorists' during his speech, adding they will...
    Kathryn Dennis Accuses Leva Bonaparte of Using Her Racism Scandal to Come Up on Southern Charm Ford ups investment in electric and autonomous vehicles to $29 billion through 2025 IndyCar in sync with Nashville as Justin Timberlake joins Music City Grand Prix Pop superstar Justin Timberlake has been added to the previously announced ownership group for the Music City Grand Prix as the downtown streets of Nashville, Tennessee, will play host to the inaugural NTT IndyCar Series race on Aug. 8. © Biden Inaugural Committee via Getty Images Justin Marks, who recently announced co-ownership of his new Trackhouse team in the NASCAR Cup Series with musical artist Pitbull, also was announced as part of the Music City Grand Prix, along with former Delta Airlines COO Gil West. This will be at least the second foray into auto racing for Timberlake, who was part of the late Dan Wheldon’s 2011...
    Attorneys for former President TrumpDonald Trump Pelosi pushing Newsom to pick Schiff for next California AG: report Palm Beach town attorney says Trump should be able to live at Mar-a-Lago Trump helipad at Mar-a-Lago to soon be demolished MORE on Thursday dismissed the prospect of him testifying at his Senate trial next week after Democratic impeachment managers requested that he do so under oath. "We are in receipt of your latest public relations stunt. As you certainly know, there is no such thing as a negative inference in this unconstitutional proceeding," attorneys Bruce Castor and David Schoen wrote to lead impeachment manager Rep. Jamie RaskinJamin (Jamie) Ben RaskinImpeachment managers say Trump conduct demands conviction House formally sends impeachment to Senate, putting Trump on trial for Capitol riot Inauguration parties lose the glitz and glamour in 2021 MORE (D-Md.) "Your letter only confirms what is known to everyone: you cannot prove...
    Former President Donald Trump's legal team accused House Democrats of "playing games" in their attempt to get him to testify at next week's Senate impeachment trial. House impeachment managers wrote to them on Thursday inviting Trump to appear in person and be questioned about what those Democrats contend was his role in inciting the Jan. 6 Capitol riot. In their response, Bruce Castor and David Schoen dismissed it as a "PR stunt" but without closing the door on the possibility. "Your letter only confirms what is known to everyone: you cannot prove your allegations against the 45th president of the United States, who is now a private citizen," they write. "The use of our Constitution to bring a purported impeachment proceeding is much too serious to try to play these games." Earlier in the day, Democratic Rep. Jamie Raskin of Maryland, the lead impeachment manager, invited Trump to give evidence....
    (Independent) President Joe Biden said his administration is working to rebuild “the muscles of democratic alliances that have atrophied from four years of neglect and abuse” following Donald Trump’s term in office. In his first visit to the US Department of State on Thursday, the president pledged to stand “shoulder to shoulder with our allies and key partners once more”, while stressing that “leading with diplomacy must also mean engaging our adversaries and our competitors diplomatically where it is in our interest and advances the security of the American people.” He said that he “made it clear to President Putin, in a manner very different from my predecessor, that the days the United States rolling over in the face of Russia’s aggressive action” – pointing to cyber attacks from the SolarWinds breach and the poisoning of opposition figure Alexei Navalny – “are over.” The US president said Mr Navalny...
    President Joe Biden said Russia needed to free Alexei Navalny 'immediately' as he said the United States will no longer 'roll over' to President Vladimir Putin 'like my predecessor.'  The tough and anti-Trump talk came Thursday when Biden made his first trip to a cabinet agency, the State Department, under the leadership of his longtime aide, Secretary of State Tony Blinken, and called for 'reclaiming our credibility and moral authority.'  'Much of which has been lost,' Biden uttered.  There, Biden also said he would 'take on directly' the challenges posed the the U.S.'s 'most serious competitor,' China.  President Joe Biden spoke at the State Department Thursday and demanded that Russia release Alexei Navalny 'immediately'  'We'll confront China's economic abuses, counter its aggressive coercive action [and] push back on China's attack on human rights, intellectual property and global governance,' Biden said.  'But we're ready to work with Beijing when it's...
    Former President Donald Trump lost close to half of his wealth during his time serving as president. Trump left office with a net worth of about $2.5 billion, down from $4.5 billion when he announced his candidacy for president in 2015. Trump was no. 121 on Forbes's list of wealthiest Americans when he entered office. He saw his net worth fall from $3.1 billion in 2019 to the current $2.5 billion amid an economic recession brought on by government lockdowns that severely hit industries where Trump held many assets. Multiple entities also cut ties with the former president during the waning days of his administration after he faced accusations of inciting the Jan. 6 Capitol riot. The Trump Organization saw a decline in revenue of 38% as well in 2020, down to $278 million. One bright spot for Trump in 2020 was his Mar-a-Lago resort in Florida, which...
    In the weeks after former President Donald Trump’s election loss, followers of the QAnon conspiracy promoted Jan. 20 as the “day of reckoning” when Trump would reveal government secrets, have President Joe Biden arrested during his inauguration and declare a second term.
    JOE Biden has said America must defeat the “white supremacy”  and “political extremism” that inspired the US Capitol Riot during a taped speech remarks for the National Prayer breakfast.  The President called for unity at this year’s event - as Donald Trump became the first ex-President not to attend.  4Joe Biden has said America must defeat the “white supremacy”  and “political extremism” that inspired the US Capitol Riot during a taped speech remarks for the National Prayer breakfastCredit: C-Span 4Donald Trump became the first ex-President not to attend the eventCredit: Splash News The National Prayer breakfast is a Washington tradition, hosted on the first Thursday every February, that asks political rivals to set aside their differences, and usually sees over 3,000 people attend.  Donald Trump, who faces his second impeachment trial next week over his role in inciting the Capitol riot, did not record any remarks for the event.  President...
    Win McNamee/Getty Images Former Vice President Mike Pence will join the conservative Heritage Foundation in Washington, D.C., he announced Thursday. “The Heritage Foundation is a flagship of the conservative movement and I am profoundly honored to join them as a distinguished visiting fellow to advance conservative policies that will benefit every American,” the former vice president said in a statement. “I look forward to rolling up my sleeves and working with the all-star team at Heritage as we continue to take the case for a strong national defense, free markets and traditional values to policymakers across the nation and to every American who cherishes our Heritage of Freedom.” The position will entail advising the Heritage Foundation’s staff and writing a weekly column for the group’s news website, The Daily Signal. The announcement puts Pence in a unique position as he considers whether to run for president in 2024. Founded in 1973 by...
    Former President Donald Trump has resigned from the Screen Actors Guild – American Federation of Television and Radio Artists (SAG-AFTRA), stating, “I no longer wish to be associated with your union.” Trump’s resignation comes after SAG-AFTRA threatened to expel him from the actor’s union, claiming that it found “probable cause” that the former president — who has been a member for more than 30 years — has “violated the union’s Constitution” over the events on Capitol Hill last month. “I write to you today regarding the so-called Disciplinary Committee hearing aimed at revoking my union membership. Who cares!” Trump wrote to SAG president Gabrielle Carteris in a letter obtained by Fox News. “While I’m not familiar with your work, I’m very proud of my work on movies such as Home Alone 2, Zoolander, and Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps; and television shows including The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, Saturday Night Live, and of course,...
    Former Vice President Mike Pence is joining the Heritage Foundation, one of the oldest and most influential think tanks in the conservative movement. The Thursday announcement by Heritage comes a day after the former vice president launched an office and comes ahead of what are expected to be announcements on more affiliations and the likely setting up of a political and policy fundraising committee. PENCE, RETURNING TO INDIANA, SAYS 'THERE'S NO PLACE LIKE HOME' "The @Heritage Foundation is a flagship of the conservative movement and I am profoundly honored to join them as a distinguished visiting fellow to advance conservative policies that will benefit every American," Pence said in a statement that he also tweeted out. And the former vice president emphasized that "@Heritage helped shape my conservative philosophy for decades and played a pivotal role advancing conservative policies throughout the Trump Administration." Heritage president Kay C. James, in...
    (CNN)Former Vice President Mike Pence is joining the Heritage Foundation as a distinguished visiting fellow, according to a press release from the conservative think tank. In a tweet, Pence said the Heritage Foundation "is a flagship of the conservative movement and I am profoundly honored to join them as a distinguished visiting fellow to advance conservative policies that will benefit every American."In this role, Pence will "advise Heritage experts on public policy issues" and plans to deliver a series of speeches on policy issues as well as write a monthly column, the release said. "Over the course of the past four years, our team at Heritage has worked closely with members of the Trump administration on a host of policy accomplishments," Heritage President Kay C. James said in a written statement. "That's why I am excited Vice President Mike Pence will join forces with Heritage to ensure we continue to advance...
    Trump formally established the Space Force in December 2019. The American military already had a Space Command under the Air Force, but Trump saw a devoted Space Force as necessary to handle emerging national security threats in orbit and beyond, such as anti-satellite weapons. Critics have claimed it was more of superficial project than a meaningful change, and that wasn’t helped by the Star Trek-like imagery. However, it has conducted full-fledged missions — it’s a practical reality. Whether or not the Space Force changes under Biden’s administration is unclear. Many expect the new President to rethink Trump-era space projects like the Artemis program as he focuses on more pressing issues like the pandemic recovery and climate change. Biden might not be as invested in the Space Force as his predecessor. However, the decision to keep the Force suggests it might remain on a steady course — much to the delight...
    President Joe Biden will use his State Department visit on Thursday to highlight his promise to re-engage with the international community after Donald Trump's 'America First' policy.  In his remarks to staff, Biden will emphasize traditional American alliances while thanking career government officials for their service. Vice President Kamala Harris will join him on the visit, which is his first to a Cabinet department as president. By choosing Foggy Bottom as his first Cabinet stop - as opposed to the Pentagon or another department - Biden is making a heavily symbolic gesture to an agency suffering from morale problems in the wake of Trump's presidency.  White House press secretary Jen Psaki said during the trip the president will thank staff 'who are Foreign Service officers, civil servants, who are the heart and soul of that institution and, frankly, our government.' She said his remarks would not be a complete vision of his...
    Sixty-one percent of Americans said in a new poll that they approve of the job President Biden is doing two weeks after being sworn in and a majority believes he’s up to the task of tackling an array of crises.  According to The Associated Press-NORC Center for Public Affairs Research survey released Thursday, 35 percent of Americans strongly approve of the job Biden is doing, and 26 percent somewhat approve. Another 26 percent strongly disapprove, and 11 percent somewhat disapprove. The results are sharply divided by partisan lines, with 97 percent of Democrats approving, along with 58 percent of independents and 23 percent of Republicans. The results indicate Biden may enjoy a honeymoon period in the early days of his presidency even as the country remains fiercely divided. Presidents in modern history enjoyed approval ratings of at least 50 percent at the start of their administrations, though former President TrumpDonald Trump Pelosi pushing Newsom...
    Former Housing and Urban Development Secretary Dr. Ben Carson announced Wednesday that he is launching a conservative think tank to "engage with local governments and work with communities to find solutions to our nation's problems." "The American Cornerstone Institute will be dedicated to creating dialogue and smart discourse," Carson said in a RealClearPolitics op-ed announcing his project. "ACI will focus on promoting and preserving individual and religious liberty, helping our country's most vulnerable find new hope, and developing methods to maximize government's efficiency and effectiveness to best serve all our nation's citizens." NIKKI HALEY LAUNCHES PAC TO SUPPORT CONSERVATIVE CANDIDATES Carson said the American Cornerstone Institute will focus on a "diverse set of issues," including addressing homelessness, affordability and crime in American cities, holding leaders in Washington, D.C., accountable and renewing a focus on education. "The Bible says, if a house be divided against itself, that house cannot stand," he said. "There have been many calls...
    Former President Donald Trump’s departure from the White House after a single term has triggered a heated debate over the direction of the Republican Party, with the governing class that never fully made peace with him frequently at odds with the MAGA-centric base. Rep. Liz Cheney, a Wyoming Republican, beat back an attempt to oust her as chairwoman of the House Republican Conference for being one of 10 GOP members of the chamber to vote for Trump's impeachment. It was a stunning turn of events that the daughter of former Vice President Dick Cheney, a mainstay of the party, even found herself in this position. On Thursday, the House is set to vote on stripping Georgia Republican Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene of her committee assignments, mainly for her advocacy of Trump-era conspiracy theories. Trump’s second Senate trial in as many years also looms, this time with lawmakers deliberating whether...
    REPUBLICAN Rep Matt Gaetz said he offered to represent ex-President Donald Trump in his second impeachment trial and would even leave his seat on the House of Representatives if required.  Gaetz, one of Trump’s fiercest supporters, on Wednesday said he expressed willingness to serve on the former president’s defense team, although he had not been asked. 4Rep Matt Gaetz said the cancellation of Trump's presidency is 'one of the biggest threats'Credit: Splash News Speaking on the War Room Pandemic podcast, Gaetz said: “I would leave my House seat, I would leave my home.” “I view this cancellation of the Trump presidency and the Trump movement as one of the biggest threats," Gaetz said.  "I’m here to win, to win so much I get tired of it because that’s what was promised.” Hours later on Fox News, Gaetz said that he made the offer “weeks ago” through fellow Trump apply Republican...
    Conservative author and pundit Mark Steyn said Wednesday that the enemies of free speech are gaining influence around the western world and have “openly mocked” First Amendment rights. “Today free speech is openly mocked as some kind of the right-wing fetish,” Steyn told Fox News’ “Tucker Carlson Tonight.” “On the other side, they regard an ever-expanding range of topics as there being a correct view. And once that view has been established, there is no need for the further discussion on it.” Steyn said a wide range of topics like climate change Islamic extremism, same-sex marriage or transgender participation in women’s sports are now subject to a “settled view and once we’ve settled it we no longer need to debate it.” (RELATED: ‘With Lockdowns, ‘Thanksgiving Is A Class C Misdemeanour,’ Says Mark Steyn) “The problem is there are an ever-expanding range of issues that are added to that list.”...
    House Republicans hosted a heated 'family discussion' over the fate of Number Three leader Rep. Liz Cheney over her vote to impeach President Trump – something she refused to apologize for.  'I won't apologize for the vote,' she told colleagues in a roughly eight minute speech. She won the backing of Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy, who called for continuity even as he himself took heat for flying to Mar-a-Lago to meet with Trump just days after condemning his actions in his own impeachment speech where he ended up siding with the president.  'I want this leadership team to stay together,' said McCarthy, who wants to work with Trump to win back the majority and hopefully become Speaker.  The closed-door meeting quickly devolved into an gripe-fest. Rep. Tom Rice of Pennsylvania criticized McCarthy for his Trump meeting, which comes amid a GOP civil war over Trumpism, Politico reported.   GOP Conference...
    Former Vice President Mike Pence has opened a transition office in Northern Virginia and is living in the Washington D.C. suburb before returning to Indiana this summer. Pence made his first post-White House announcement on Wednesday, two weeks after Joe Biden took office and amid speculation over what's next for the former vice president.  'Mr. and Mrs. Pence are residing in Northern Virginia and plan to move back to Indiana this summer,' the statement said. And it indicated a possible return to public life for Pence, who served as governor of Indiana before joining Donald Trump on the 2016 presidential ticket. 'The Vice President and Mrs. Pence look forward to continuing to elevate causes that are near and dear to their hearts and serving the American people when called upon,' the statement said.  The office is located in Arlington, across the Potomac River from Washington. Pence, like Donald Trump, receives...
    JERUSALEM (AP) — Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has named a former journalist with the right-wing Breitbart news site, who authored books challenging Barack Obama’s fitness for president, as his campaign chief for March national elections. Aaron Klein, who has served as a political strategist to Netanyahu since last year, confirmed his appointment to The Associated Press on Wednesday. The news was first reported in Israeli media. Klein is a former U.S. radio show host and ex-Jerusalem bureau chief for Breitbart News. He was appointed by the site’s executive chairman at the time, Steven Bannon, who would later become a key strategist to Donald Trump. Klein is the author of a number of books about Obama. They include: “The Manchurian President: Barack Obama’s Ties to Communists, Socialists and Other Anti-American Extremists”; “Fool Me Twice: Obama’s Shocking Plans for the Next Four Years Exposed”; and “Impeachable Offenses: The Case for Removing Barack...
    Joe Biden doubled down on his $1.9 trillion COVID relief package, reassuring Democrats he has their back as they lay the groundwork to muscle through the president's proposal without Republican support.  Biden called into the House Democratic Caucus weekly meeting on Wednesday morning, where he reassured his party a Republican proposal for $600 billion in relief is 'not even in the cards.'  'I’m not going to start my administration by breaking a promise to the American people,'  he said.  The president, in his five minute pep talk, told House Democrats to stick together. 'I have your back and you will have mine,' he said according to Politico.  He also vowed to boost stimulus checks to $2,000, by adding another $1,400 in direct payments as part of his relief measure.  Biden and Vice President Kamala Harris will meet with Democratic senators on the COVID relief proposal later Wednesday in the Oval Office.   The...
    Fox News host Dana Perino said that President Joe Biden was smart to do an interview with People Magazine, but he may have left news media frustrated. Perino discussed that interview, which featured both Biden and First Lady Jill Biden, with “America’s Newsroom” cohost Bill Hemmer during a Wednesday morning segment. (RELATED: ‘What About Seeing Joe Biden?’: Dana Perino Asks Biden Campaign Press Sec. If They’re ‘Ceding This Ground’ To Trump) WATCH: Perino noted that Biden had been criticized for failing to take hard questions both on the campaign trail and since he took office. Hemmer began by pointing out that the interview showed the human side of the Bidens, calling the interview “good strategy on behalf of the White House.” Pivoting to compare the Biden administration to that of former President Donald Trump, he asked, “Do you think Donald Trump got one of those interviews in four years?...
    The Biden White House briefings have been remarkably civil affairs, virtually devoid of personal attacks. When invited to unload on Marjorie Taylor Greene or Mitch McConnell, Jen Psaki generally deflects the question, says she doesn’t have any new information to share, or she offers to "circle back" later on.  If she pushes back on a question, she assures the reporter that she’s not challenging his or her intent.So journalists took note when the press secretary was asked whether it’s easier for President Biden to push his Covid aid package without Donald Trump’s critical tweets."This may be hard to believe, we don’t spend a lot of time talking about or thinking about President Trump here – former President Trump, to be very clear," Psaki said, adding: "I can’t say we miss him on Twitter."That mild jab made headlines, though it’s hardly in the Trumpian league of calling opponents morons, low-lifes, or dumb as...
    The Democrats have built an impeachment case accusing former President Donald Trump of incitement of insurrection, but "Hannity" host Sean Hannity pointed out Tuesday that leaders on the left have spoken in a similar fashion with few to no consequences. Trump's exhortation to his supporters to "fight like hell" prior to the Jan. 6 storming of the Capitol has come under scrutiny, according to Hannity, even though the common phrase has been used on both sides of the aisle. "If this is the new standard for incitement to insurrection, then when will we begin the process of holding everyone in the Democratic Party and the left accountable for their words and actions?" the host asked. "Because the list is long." Hannity noted that Democrats, including President Biden and Vice President Kamala Harris, have frequently encouraged their own supporters to "fight like hell" as well. SCHUMER SAYS DEMS COULD CENSURE TRUMP IF IMPEACHMENT TRIAL ENDS IN...
    Barack Obama surprised a book club in the best way possible by dropping into their virtual meeting and joining their discussion about his new memoir, A Promised Land.  Members of the MahoganyBooks and Very Smart Brothas Book Club in Washington, D.C. were stunned when the former President was introduced as their 'special guest' during their remote gathering on January 26.  'So, they had scheduled somebody else, but they couldn't make it, so I had to fill in,' Obama, 59, joked at the start of the video, which was shared on his social media pages on Tuesday.  Special guest: Barack Obama joined the MahoganyBooks and Very Smart Brothas Book Club virtual meeting on January 26 to the delight of members  The meeting that was held ahead of MahoganyBooks' Black History Month celebrations was the group's first since the COVID-19 pandemic hit and likely one they will never forget.  'I wanted to come on here...
    Reuters February 2, 2021 0 Comments -The U.S. Senate on Tuesday confirmed Alejandro Mayorkas to head the Department of Homeland Security, making him the first Latino and immigrant to hold the position and further solidifying President Joe Biden’s Cabinet. The Senate approved Mayorkas despite strong opposition from Republicans. As secretary of the sprawling agency, Mayorkas will oversee a 240,000-employee department responsible for border security, immigration enforcement, cybersecurity and disaster readiness and relief, among other missions. Mayorkas, 61, will also stand at the center of Biden’s attempts to reverse many immigration restrictions put in place by Republican former President Donald Trump. Mayorkas is the sixth of Biden’s Cabinet appointments that require Senate confirmation to be approved. Earlier on Tuesday, the Senate confirmed Pete Buttigieg to be transportation secretary. (Reporting by Richard Cowan and Ted Hesson; Editing by Leslie Adler and Peter Cooney)
    MSNBC correspondent Garrett Haake said Tuesday that Republican senators “re-litigating” the events at the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6, and blaming former President Donald Trump for their occurrence, would be “as popular as a root canal.” Haake appeared on an “MSNBC Live” panel alongside Anna Palmer and Chuck Rosenberg, and was asked by host Katy Tur if he thought Republican senators remember what happened on Jan. 6, how dangerous it was, and if they just don’t “want to go there any longer.” “Oh, they remember. But the prospect of going back and re-litigating it and casting blame on the president of their party who got 74 million votes is as popular as a root canal,” Haake responded. (RELATED: MSNBC Reporter: Republicans Can’t Get Over ‘Bad Breakup’ With ‘Toxic Ex’ Trump) Trump maintains a high approval rating within the Republican party, which stood at 81% as of Jan. 27. Many...
    It’s an approach that former President Donald Trump has privately decried as “boring” and insufficient late last month, according to a person directly familiar with the matter, but in filings on Tuesday, it was clear that his latest impeachment defense wants to play it safe. Or, at least less reckless than Trump has urged. In preparing for his second Senate impeachment trial, Trump’s advisers and lawyers have told him that keeping their focus on legal arguments concerning free speech and constitutional issues, rather than making—as the ex-president has wanted—Trump’s false claims of massive, pro-Biden election fraud, would be the best bet for acquittal. On Capitol Hill, Trump’s staunchest allies have urged the same. “That’s not a winning argument,” Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-SC) said of the former president’s preferred strategy. Other close Trump advisers have repeatedly explained to him that by focusing on the conspiracy theories that the election was stolen,...
    More On: immigration Biden to sign executive orders on immigration policy Neo-Nazi gets life in prison for assassinating German pro-immigration pol Video shows wild confrontation between violent protesters, feds Arizona sheriff urges Biden to ‘stop this madness’ over immigration reform The Senate on Tuesday voted 56-43 to confirm Alejandro Mayorkas to be President Biden’s homeland security secretary. Most Republicans voted against Mayorkas citing alleged ethics issues from his time at the department under former President Barack Obama. Mayorkas will be in charge of implementing Biden’s rollback of former President Donald Trump’s immigration policies. “His qualifications are unassailable. He’s a seven-year veteran of the DHS and has already been confirmed by this chamber three times,” Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-NY) said. Mayorkas was born in Cuba to Jewish parents and immigrated to the US as an infant. He led US Immigration and Citizenship Services from 2009-2013 and was...
    More On: joe biden Psaki defensive about lack of Biden calls to China’s Xi, Israel’s Netanyahu Acting head of DOJ criminal division has ties to Hunter Biden’s lawyer Defense secretary reportedly boots Trump picks from Pentagon boards White House reportedly quizzed reporters on what they’d ask before briefings WASHINGTON — President Biden is “totally on board” with Democrats using the rare tactic of reconciliation to ram his $1.9 trillion coronavirus rescue plan through Congress without any Republican support, Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer said Tuesday. The White House has repeatedly insisted that Biden’s big-spending bailout is bipartisan and pointed to his Oval Office meeting with 10 Republican lawmakers on Monday evening as an example of that. But speaking to reporters on Tuesday afternoon, Schumer said Biden was not interested in the GOP’s $618 billion counter-offer and vowed Democrats would push ahead to pass the bill without Republican support. “[H]e...
    Alejandro Mayorkas, U.S. President-elect Joe Biden's nominee to be director of Homeland Security, speaks as President-elect Biden announces his national security nominees and appointees at his transition headquarters in Wilmington, Delaware, November 24, 2020.Joshua Roberts | Reuters WASHINGTON – The Senate confirmed Alejandro Mayorkas on Tuesday to lead the nation's Department of Homeland Security, making him the first Latino to hold the role. The Senate voted 56 to 43. His ascension to the agency's top role comes less than four weeks after supporters of outgoing President Donald Trump stormed the U.S. Capitol and as the nation struggles to combat the coronavirus pandemic. The agency, which was created on the heels of the 9/11 attacks, oversees border security, immigration enforcement, cybersecurity and disaster relief. Mayorkas' confirmation was stalled last week when some Republicans argued that Biden's nominee was not properly vetted on pressing immigration issues. On Thursday, Mayorkas' nomination advanced a...
    Alejandro Mayorkas was narrowly confirmed as President Joe Biden’s pick to lead the Department of Homeland Security on Tuesday. The Senate voted to confirm Mayorkas by a 56-43 vote. Despite being one of Biden’s first Cabinet nominees to receive a hearing and multiple Democrats’ push for him to be quickly confirmed, Mayorkas’s vote was held up by Republicans on multiple occasions. Missouri Sen. Josh Hawley said that he would block an expedited vote after Mayorkas refused during his hearing to commit $1.4 billion in appropriated funds towards former President Donald Trump’s border wall, and last week Republicans said that they would filibuster his confirmation vote. Mayorkas is expected to continue rolling back immigration policies adopted by Trump but will be tasked with juggling the simultaneous responses to the pandemic and heightened risks to national security following the Capitol riot. (RELATED: Mayorkas: ‘New Immigration System’ Is Necessary) Mayorkas previously served as...
    Pete Buttigieg was confirmed by the Senate Tuesday to be President Joe Biden's Transportation secretary.  Buttigieg received overwhelming bipartisan support - with a vote of 86 to 13 - to become the nation's first openly gay Senate-confirmed cabinet secretary.  He previously competed against Biden in last year's Democratic primaries, winning the Iowa caucuses, but dropping out and throwing his support behind the former vice president before the Super Tuesday contests in early March.   Former South Bend Mayor Pete Buttigieg, who ran for the White House against now President Joe Biden in 2020, became the country's first openly gay Senate-confirmed cabinet member after a Senate confirmation vote Tuesday  A key ally to Biden's campaign, who helped with now Vice President Kamala Harris' debate prep, Buttigieg was reportedly being considered for a number of roles before Biden settled on Transportation head.    In mid-December, when Biden announced Buttigieg as his DOT pick, the...
    President Donald Trump's new lawyers argued in their first formal response to his impeachment Tuesday that the process is not constitutional because he is no longer president – and that his speech before the MAGA riot was protected by the First Amendment. 'It is denied that the quoted provision currently applies to the 45th President of the United States since he is no longer 'President,' says the filing by lawyer Bruce Castor. 'The constitutional provision requires that a person actually hold office to be impeached,' he writes, citing language about removing a president from office.  The matter of whether a former president can be impeached is disputed by constitutional scholars.  The brief also denies the charge Trump engaged in 'incitement of insurrection,' and defends his speech to supporters at the Ellipse, near the White House, on January 6 where he told supporters to 'fight like hell.' 'It is denied that...
    WASHINGTON -- The Senate on Tuesday confirmed Pete Buttigieg as transportation secretary, the first openly gay person to take a Cabinet post, tasked with advancing President Joe Biden's ambitious agenda of rebuilding the nation's infrastructure and fighting climate change.Buttigieg, a 39-year-old former mayor of South Bend, Indiana, and Biden's one-time rival during the Democratic presidential primaries, was approved on a 86-13 vote.Praised by Biden as bringing a "new voice" to the administration, Buttigieg takes over a Transportation Department with 55,000 employees and a budget of tens of billions of dollars. He has pledged to quickly get to work promoting safety and restoring consumer trust in America's transportation networks as airlines, buses, city subway systems and Amtrak reel from plummeting ridership in the coronavirus pandemic.SEE ALSO: President-elect Joe Biden's Cabinet picks, top-level appointeesEMBED More News Videos President-elect Joe Biden's Cabinet picks, top-level appointees (1 of 11) President-elect Joe Biden on...
    WASHINGTON -- The Senate is poised to approve Pete Buttigieg to be transportation secretary, the first openly gay person ever confirmed to a Cabinet post, tasked with advancing President Joe Biden's wide-ranging agenda of rebuilding the nation's infrastructure and fighting climate change.Buttigieg's nomination was set for a final vote Tuesday in the full Senate, after the 39-year-old former mayor of South Bend, Indiana, and Biden's one-time rival in the Democratic presidential primaries received bipartisan praise at his confirmation hearing last week."Mr. Buttigieg is an impressive public servant who has already earned the respect and confidence of both sides," said Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., in floor remarks on Monday. "I look forward to confirming his nomination."Praised by Biden as bringing a "new voice" to the administration, Buttigieg would take over a Transportation Department with 55,000 employees and a budget of tens of billions of dollars. He has pledged to...
    DONALD Trump's team argued that he cannot be impeached because he's not the president after Democrats said he "aimed a loaded cannon" in the Capitol riot. The document links Trump’s efforts to overturn the results of the presidential election to the deadly January 6 protest, saying he bears "unmistakable" blame for actions that directly threatened the underpinnings of American democracy. 5Police release tear gas into a crowd of pro-Trump protesters during the Capitol riots on January 6Credit: Reuters 5The brief says President Trump was reportedly "delighted" as the Capitol was overrun It argues that he must be found guilty when his impeachment trial opens before the Senate next week on a charge of inciting the siege. The nine House Democrats, known as House impeachment managers, in their brief also rejected Republican claims that it would be unconstitutional to put Trump on trial in the Senate since he is a...
    WASHINGTON (AP) — Less than two weeks in office, President Joe Biden is facing two critical tests of whether the deadly riot at the U.S. Capitol has damaged America’s standing as a beacon for democracy. Protests in Russia and a military coup in Myanmar come as American credibility on the world stage has plummeted after last month’s storming of the Capitol by a pro-Donald Trump mob looking to stop the certification of Biden’s election victory. That adds to the weight on Biden as he seeks to fulfill a campaign pledge to dramatically reposition the U.S. as a global leader following four years of a Trump foreign policy driven by an “America First” mantra. That policy was marked by the frequent disparagement of democratic allies and the occasional embrace of authoritarian leaders. Biden’s top diplomat, Antony Blinken, acknowledged the difficulty. “I think there’s no doubt that the attack on our...
    Hunter Biden has made it brutally clear he wants nothing more to do with his baby mama and their toddler daughter. But former stripper  Lunden Roberts and two-year-old Navy Joan have a new man in their corner - a hunky cage fighter who is raising the adorable little girl as his own, DailyMail.com can exclusively reveal. Princeton Foster, a 26-year-old roofer and ripped amateur MMA fighter, has been secretly dating Lunden since late 2018, when Navy Joan was just a few months old. The couple got engaged the following April but kept their relationship under wraps as Lunden chased Hunter, 50, through the courts to force him to take a DNA test confirming the child was his. Lunden, 29, secured a reported $2.5m settlement when the paternity suit was resolved which she used to buy a newly-constructed three-bedroom home last October for herself, Navy Joan and Princeton. The cute trio...
    Donald Trump's legal team is still scrambling to nail down its defense strategy as a deadline looms at noon on Tuesday for the former president to reply to a charge of incitement of insurrection brought by the House last month. Over the weekend, Trump split with his previous team of lawyers, with reports indicating they were unwilling to center their legal strategy on election fraud claims. His new lawyers, which were announced Sunday, have not indicated what defense they have planned for the 45th president. Those who will represent Trump in the Senate trial next week are David Schoen, a Fox News commentator and former counsel to the sex offender Jeffrey Epstein, and Bruce Castor, a former county prosecutor in Montgomery County, Pennsylvania – where Trump's campaign sued over claims of fraudulently counting mail-in ballots. The team shake-up and lack of legal strategy maintains as there's just one week left...
    By AAMER MADHANI, Associated Press WASHINGTON (AP) — Less than two weeks in office, President Joe Biden is facing two critical tests of whether the deadly riot at the U.S. Capitol has damaged America’s standing as a beacon for democracy. Protests in Russia and a military coup in Myanmar come as American credibility on the world stage has plummeted after last month’s storming of the Capitol by a pro-Donald Trump mob looking to stop the certification of Biden’s election victory. That adds to the weight on Biden as he seeks to fulfill a campaign pledge to dramatically reposition the U.S. as a global leader following four years of a Trump foreign policy driven by an “America First” mantra. That policy was marked by the frequent disparagement of democratic allies and the occasional embrace of authoritarian leaders. Biden’s top diplomat, Antony Blinken, acknowledged the difficulty. “I think there’s no doubt that...
    Donald Trump's impeachment lawyer has said the former president had 'nothing' to do with the Capitol riot as he warned the trial threatened to tear the country apart and damage American democracy. David Schoen, the Atlanta-based lawyer appointed by Trump on Sunday, will defend him next week in his historic second impeachment trial. On Monday Schoen, who previously represented Jeffrey Epstein, insisted that the trial of a former president was 'unconstitutional'. He argued further that Trump was not to blame for the insurrection on January 6, which killed four people including a Capitol Police officer. David Schoen appeared on Fox News on Monday night to discuss the impeachment trial Schoen said that the storming of the Capitol after Trump's January 6 rally was not his fault Trump, pictured leaving Washington on January 20, urged supporters to march to the Capitol At a 'Stop the Steal' rally on...
    Gina McCarthy, National Climate Adviser for President Biden, said climate change – a priority for the administration – is also a racial justice issue. In a video addressing the intersectionality of climate change posted over the weekend, McCarthy explained that the issue "exacerbates the challenges in the communities that have been left behind." "It goes after the very same communities that pollution has held back and racism has held back," McCarthy said. "Climate justice is about equal rights." The poorest and most vulnerable communities – or the ones that have not been invested in – tend to feel the effects of the climate crisis more than affluent areas. LAID-OFF KEYSTONE XL WORKER ON BIDEN'S NEW CLIMATE CHANGE POLICIES: ‘THEY JUST DON’T CARE’ For example, "cancer alley" – a stretch of industrial plants in Louisiana – is home to chemical plants and dangerous air pollution, as well as minority and...
    Vice President Harris on Monday spoke with Canadian Prime Minister Justin TrudeauJustin Pierre James TrudeauTrudeau announces new restrictions on international travel to Canada Blinken holds first calls as Biden's secretary of State Canadian lawmakers vote to label Proud Boys a terrorist organization MORE in her first call with a foreign leader since being sworn in as vice president. The two spoke about addressing the coronavirus pandemic and climate change, among other issues, according to a readout from Harris's office. Harris also offered support for two Canadian citizens who have been detained by China. A readout from Trudeau's office indicated the two leaders also discussed bilateral trade issues "and avoiding the unintended consequences of Buy America policies, for the benefit of people in both countries." President Biden last week announced an executive order aimed at strengthening "buy American" policies that require foreign agencies to procure goods and services from U.S.-based companies. Biden's...
    President Joe Biden would like the extra fencing erected around the White House for inauguration festivities to come down as soon as possible, the administration said Monday. White House press secretary Jen Psaki said at her daily press briefing that Biden and Vice President Kamala Harris would like to see the seven-foot tall, anti-climbing fence come down when 'it makes sense from an overall security standpoint.'  'Our goal, the President and the Vice President's goal is for the Secret Service to adjust the perimeter as soon as it makes sense from an overall security standpoint, so we're working closely with them on that,' she said.  A white security barrier - installed ahead of Inauguration Day - is visible at the White House The extra anti-climbing fencing was put in place around the White House perimeter ahead of Inauguration Day and remains standing National Guards member walk along...
    CHELSEA target David Alaba is yet to agree a move to Real Madrid. That’s according to Bayern Munich president Karl-Heinz Rummenigge, who concedes the star is ’99.9 per cent’ likely to leave the Allianz Arena. EPA 2 Chelsea target David Alaba is yet to agree a contract with Real Madrid Alaba, 28, is out of contract this summer and has so far rejected the chance to extend his deal. Real Madrid were thought to have agreed terms with the Austrian. But reports claim Chelsea remain optimistic they can lure Alaba to London after making Thomas Tuchel their new manager. And the Blues have been given a boost in their transfer efforts by Bayern chief Rummenigge, who insists Real Madrid have made no contact over a deal for Alaba. He said: “Florentino Perez has not contacted us. Nor does he have to. “From January 2 the player is free to...
    A portrait of inaugural poet Amanda Gorman has been donated to Harvard University's permanent collection. Rising Ghanaian artist Raphael Adjetey Adjei Mayne painted the work inspired by 22-year-old Gorman’s poem delivered on January 20 at the inauguration of President Joe Biden in Washington. The acrylic on canvas was purchased by women’s rights and LGBT+ activist Amar Singh who has donated the painting to Harvard. A portrait of Inaugural poet Amanda Gorman has been donated to Harvard University's permanent collection [pictured at the inauguration of President Joe Biden on January 20]  Rising Ghanaian artist, Raphael Adjetey Adjei Mayne, painted the work inspired by Gorman’s poem delivered on January 20 RELATED ARTICLES Previous 1 Next Lady Gaga is 'crazy about' boyfriend Michael Polansky after... Army chaplain is under investigation for saying transgender... FEMA asks the Pentagon to help administer the COVID-19... Fired Fox News political editor...
    FBI Director Christopher Wray has named longtime law enforcement official Paul M. Abbate to serve as his top aide as he continues his role as direct under President Biden’s administration, the agency announced on Monday. Abbate will serve as the FBI’s deputy director and will oversee "FBI domestic and international investigative and intelligence activities," the agency said in a press release. He replaced former deputy director David Bowdich, who retired ahead of Biden’s inauguration last month. A longtime FBI official, Abbate became an associate deputy director in 2018. Prior to that role, he held a top leadership position in the FBI’s Criminal, Cyber, Response, and Services Branch and within its field offices in Washington, D.C. and Detroit. VideoIn 2017, Abbate was on the shortlist of officials considered for the role of FBI director. Former President Donald Trump eventually tapped Wray for the post, though their relationship deteriorated in the final months...
    The Biden administration is reviewing whether to take away the ability of former President Donald Trump to receive classified security briefings as the former president in the wake of the Capitol riot. White House spokeswoman Jen Psaki punted on the question when asked about a topic that also came up during the transition – but also confirmed Monday the administration was reviewing the matter. 'This is a good question,' said Psaki. 'It's something that's obviously under review.'  HE'S BEEN BRIEFED: The Biden administration is reviewing the policy where former President Trump has access to classified information and briefings  The review comes as Trump critics demand he be forced to relinquish some of the perks of power that follow a president even after he leaves office. Former presidents get classified briefings by tradition – although not at the very highest levels reserved for the current officeholder.  In Trump's case, the...
    NEW YORK (AP) — Michael Hill is taking over from Chris Young, who stayed just one season in the role of Joe Torre’s replacement as Major League Baseball’s disciplinarian. Hill was hired Monday by MLB as a senior vice president of on-field operations along with former major leaguer Raúl Ibañez. Hill will oversee umpires and on-field discipline, and Ibañez will be involved in rules, equipment and on-field technology while contributing to scouting and amateur baseball initiatives. Former pitcher Joe Martinez was hired as senior director of on-field strategy, former outfielder outfielder Rajai Davis as senior director of on-field operations and former Houston manager Bo Porter as a consultant on coaching development. Hill and Ibañez will report to executive vice president of baseball operations Morgan Sword, and Martinez will report to vice president of baseball economics Reed MacPhail. The 49-year-old Hill spent 19 seasons with the Marlins, the last six as...
    Larry Kudlow, in his first appearance on Fox News since signing a deal to join the network, took a few shots at President Donald Trump but lauded him as an overall “brilliant” leader. The former White House economic adviser stopped by America’s Newsroom Monday — ahead of his official start with Fox News on Feb. 8. (Kudlow is slated to eventually host a daily show on Fox Business.) After Kudlow disclosed that he recently spoke with Trump on the phone, Fox anchor Bill Hemmer asked whether the two spoke about the Capitol riots. “We did not,” Kudlow said. “I think the president knew my view. He put out some very good videos abhorring violence towards the very end. I wish he had done that two months earlier and stayed with that.” Kudlow, with his comments Monday, became the latest in a line of former administration staffers to condemn Trump’s rhetoric pushing...
    (CNN)Deborah Archer, a clinical law professor at New York University, has been elected as the new president of the American Civil Liberties Union -- the first Black person to hold the position.The ACLU made the announcement Monday, calling Archer "an established civil rights attorney, scholar, and teacher."Congratulations to Deborah Archer, newly elected president of the ACLU national board! pic.twitter.com/DDGGJk6mTR— ACLU (@ACLU) February 1, 2021 In addition to her professorship, Archer is the co-faculty director at NYU's Center on Race, Inequality, and the Law, and the director of the Civil Rights Clinic at NYU School of Law.Archer has been a part of the ACLU for years, beginning her career as a legal fellow in the ACLU Racial Justice Program, the organization stated. She's been a member of the board since 2009 and a general counsel since 2017."After beginning my career as an ACLU fellow, it is an honor to come full...
    Deborah Archer, a professor at New York University School of Law with expertise in civil rights and racial justice, has become the first Black person in the 101-year history of the American Civil Liberties Union to be elected its president. The ACLU announced Monday that Archer was elected over the weekend in a virtual meeting of the organization’s 69-member board of directors. She succeeds Susan Herman, a professor at Brooklyn Law School who had served as president since 2008. As the ACLU’s eighth president since 1920, Archer will act as chair of its board of the directors, overseeing organizational matters and the setting of civil liberties policies. The fight against racial injustice is expected to be a top priority.
    (CNN)There's a golden rule in politics: Don't mess with a member in his or her home state unless you want trouble.Which is why it's more than a little perplexing that Vice President Kamala Harris gave an interview to a local West Virginia TV station late last week expressly designed to put pressure on West Virginia Sen. Joe Manchin (D) to support the Biden administration's $1.9 trillion Covid-19 stimulus plan."To your point in West Virginia, one in seven families is describing their household as being hungry, one in six can't pay their rent, and one in four small businesses are closing permanently or have already closed, so it's a big issue in West Virginia and across the country," Harris told WSAZ. "And that's why the president and I are offering the American Rescue Plan."Which -- BREAKING NEWS! -- Manchin didn't like. "I saw [the interview], I couldn't believe it. No one...
    Loading the player... Deborah Archer, a professor at New York University School of Law with expertise in civil rights and racial justice, has become the first Black person in the 101-year history of the American Civil Liberties Union to be elected its president. The ACLU announced Monday that Archer was elected over the weekend in a virtual meeting of the organization’s 69-member board of directors. She succeeds Susan Herman, a professor at Brooklyn Law School who had served as president since 2008. Read More: Washington’s King becomes 1st Black female assistant coach in NFL As the ACLU’s eighth president since 1920, Archer will act as chair of its board of the directors, overseeing organizational matters and the setting of civil liberties policies. The fight against racial injustice is expected to be a top priority. The ACLU’s day-to-day operations are managed by its executive director — a post currently held...
    Hundreds of people joined protests across Brazil this weekend against President Jair Bolsonaro over his alleged mishandling of the COVID-19 pandemic, with many demanding his resignation or impeachment.  Some 200 people gathered in central Brasilia, holding signs and banners saying 'Bolsonaro Out' and 'Impeachment Now,' while scores of autos drove slowly by, honking their horns in support. The protests, like larger ones last weekend, were organized by leftist parties and groups. A demonstrator takes part in a protest against Brazil's President Jair Bolsonaro and his handling of the coronavirus pandemic in Brasilia on Sunday Demonstrators hold placards reading 'Impeachment Now' during a protest against Brazilian president Jair Bolsonaro and his management of the coronavirus pandemic, which has generated 224,504 deaths and 9,204,731 cases Brazil's President Jair Bolsonaro said Saturday that it was not the government's responsibility to provide oxygen to the health system in the northwestern state...
    NEW YORK (AP) — ACLU elects NYU law professor Deborah Archer as the organization’s first Black president in its 101-year history. Copyright © 2021 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, written or redistributed.
    Reuters February 1, 2021 0 Comments Former U.S. President Donald Trump’s unprecedented second impeachment trial takes shape this week, as Democrats outline their case and Trump scrambles to prepare a defense amid disarray on his legal team. Trump is due to file a response to the impeachment charge on Tuesday but replaced his lead legal counsel over the weekend. His new team, led by lawyers David Schoen and Bruce Castor, will have just over a week to get ready before the trial begins Feb. 9. Even so, Democrats seeking his conviction on one count of “incitement of insurrection” face an uphill climb. They must convince at least 17 of the U.S. Senate’s 50 Republicans that Trump is guilty of inciting supporters to attack the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6 in an unsuccessful attempt to prevent Congress from certifying Democrat Joe Biden’s victory in November’s presidential election. Five people died...
    THE hastag BidenLied has been trending as Americans demand $2000 stimulus checks they claim he promised during the election. If an agreement is reached this week, Americans can receive their third round of $1400 stimulus checks within just nine days. 4The President has come under fire over stimulus checks Credit: AFP or licensors But many people have been tweeting the Democrats to claim they have has reneged on a pledge to provide a $2000 stimulus check. During his campaign for in the hotly contested Georgia Senate run-off race winning Democratic candidate Raphael Warnock tweeted: “How would a $2,000 relief check help your family?” During the Presidential campaign there were numerous reports about the President offering $2000 checks. 4NINTCHDBPICT000633571915Credit: Twitter 4NINTCHDBPICT000633573597Credit: Twitter 4NINTCHDBPICT000633573535Credit: Twitter The $2000 figure comes from adding the new, proposed $1400 payment to the $600 payments that began going out this month. If Congress can pass the stimulus...
    A Capitol rioter known as the "QAnon Shaman" has been ordered detained until trial, after federal prosecutors in Arizona initially said his words and actions during the January 6 siege show that the intent of the rioters was to "capture and assassinate" lawmakers. Acting U.S. Attorney for the District of Columbia Michael Sherwin later said there is no "direct evidence" of kill and capture teams, and a prosecutor later stuck that line from the memorandum urging a judge to keep him detained, according to The Associated Press.  Jacob Chansley, 33, of Arizona was indicted January 11 by a federal grand jury on two felony charges of interfering with law enforcement during the commission of civil disorder and obstructing a Congressional proceeding, threatening Congressional officials and disorderly conduct. Chansley, who is also known as Jake Angeli, was also indicted on four misdemeanor counts.  Prosecutors say Chansley, a well-known fixture at Arizona pro-Trump...
    Those lights that are just shooting out from the Lincoln Memorial along the Reflecting Pool – it’s like almost extensions of Joe Biden’s arms embracing America. It was a moment where the new President came to town and sort of convened the country in this moment of remembrance, outstretching his arms.’ Believe it or not, those were the actual words of CNN’s political director, David Chalian, ‘reporting’ on Joe Biden’s appearance at a light show on Washington DC’s National Mall on the eve of his inauguration.  British Conservatives have long railed against ‘BBC bias’ and the ‘Left-wing media’, but honestly… The non-stop, undiluted, self-abasing fawning over Biden and his new administration on display over the past week or so from America’s smug, self-righteous, sanctimonious press corps makes North Korea’s mad ‘Dear Leader’ broadcasts sound like Radio Four’s Today programme. So what, you might say? Biden’s team said they inherited...
    THE Brazilian Government has been accused of deliberately allowing coronavirus to spread as the country's death toll hit over 222,000. Authorities were "intentionally" trying to infect the public with Covid, a study by a top university has claimed. ???? Read our coronavirus live blog for the latest news & updates 3Demonstrators protest against the government's response in combating Covid and demanding the impeachment of Brazil's President Jair BolsonaroCredit: AP:Associated Press 3Aerial view of coffins being buried in Manaus, Amazonas state, BrazilCredit: AFP or licensors The Centre for Research in Public Health Law at the University of Sao Paulo and Conectas Direitos Humanos - one of the most respected justice organisations of Latin America - have been collecting and analysing the data since March 2020. The document obtained by Spanish newspaper El Pais states: "Our research has revealed the existence of an institutional strategy, promoted by the Federal Government, spearheaded...
    MOGADISHU, Somalia (AP) — As Somalia marks three decades since a dictator fell and chaos engulfed the country, the government is set to hold a troubled national election. Or is it? Two regional states refuse to take part, and time is running out before the Feb. 8 date when mandates expire. A parliament resolution allows President Mohamed Abdullahi Mohamed and lawmakers to remain in office, but going beyond Feb. 8 brings “an unpredictable political situation in a country where we certainly don’t need any more of that,” United Nations special representative James Swan told reporters this week. Amid the campaign billboards and speeches in the capital, Mogadishu, is a sense of frustration as people are urged to support candidates but once again cannot directly take part. “Nobody has ever asked us what we want or whom we would choose as president,” said Asha Abdulle, who runs a small teashop. “Every...
    After a lawyer for the "QAnon Shaman" Capitol riot suspect said his client would be willing to testify in former President Trump's forthcoming impeachment trial, U.S. Sen. Lindsey Graham claimed that would turn the trial into a "complete circus." Fast Facts Jacob Anthony Chansley, who notoriously barged into the Capitol clad in a horned bearskin headdress, face paint, and no shirt, now says he was "duped" by former President Trump after he didn’t receive a pardon.  Trump was impeached by the House for "incitement of insurrection" following the Capitol breach on Jan. 6. His trial is scheduled to start the week of Feb. 8.  Jacob Anthony Chansley, who notoriously barged into the Capitol clad in a horned bearskin headdress, face paint, and no shirt, now says he was "duped" by former President Trump after he didn’t receive a pardon.  Trump was impeached by the House for "incitement...
    NEW YORK (WABC) -- For President Joe Biden's first 100 days in office, Eyewitness News will have a special election edition of "The Countdown" to get you caught up with all of the day's political and campaign news.You can watch it online, on the ABC7NY app or on our Connected TV apps for Fire, Roku, Apple TV and Android TV. Click here to learn more.Friday, Jan. 29Biden's COVID-19 relief plan: Democrats prepared to 'move forward without' RepublicansDemocrats in Congress and the White House have rejected a Republican pitch to split President Joe Biden's $1.9 trillion COVID-19 rescue plan into smaller chunks, with lawmakers appearing primed to muscle the sweeping economic and virus aid forward without GOP help.Despite Biden's calls for unity, Democrats said the stubbornly high unemployment numbers and battered U.S. economy leave them unwilling to waste time courting Republican support that might not materialize. They also don't want to...
    Layshia Clarendon announces top surgery, encourages trans community: No one can erase us Nike Air Force 1s and Other White Sneakers Every Wardrobe Needs Wall Street braces for bumpy trading in the week ahead as the GameStop short squeeze unfolds There's a big week of earnings in the week ahead, with reports from Amazon and Alphabet, but the battle between retail traders and short sellers may get the most focus. It could be a choppy week for stocks, after the S&P 500 fell below its 50-day moving average, an important technical level seen as important support. The frenzied buying of heavily shorted stocks by retail investors has garnered a lot of attention, and is likely to continue to occupy markets in the week ahead as they watch to see if the trend continues or investors get hurt. © Provided by CNBC Traders work on the floor of...
    President Biden spent Friday afternoon visiting with wounded service members at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center outside the nation’s capital. Biden spent about an hour at the military hospital in Bethesda, Md., visiting five wounded service members and later touring the hospital’s coronavirus vaccine site. The trip represented the new president’s first visit to the hospital since taking office last week. Biden visited one Marine, three Army soldiers, and one member of the Army National Guard, according to the White House.  Biden is no stranger to Walter Reed. The president’s late son Beau, a major in the Delaware Army National Guard, was treated at Walter Reed in the weeks before his death. Beau Biden died in 2015 following a battle with brain cancer. Biden was greeted by two officials from the hospital who he spoke with for a few minutes and thanked him for the care they provided Beau...
    President Biden spent Friday afternoon visiting with wounded service members at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center outside the nation’s capital. Biden spent about an hour at the military hospital in Bethesda, Md., visiting five wounded service members and later touring the hospital’s coronavirus vaccine site. The trip represented the new president’s first visit to the hospital since taking office last week. Biden visited one Marine, three Army soldiers, and one member of the Army National Guard, according to the White House.  Biden is no stranger to Walter Reed. The president’s late son Beau, a major in the Delaware Army National Guard, was treated at Walter Reed in the weeks before his death. Beau Biden died in 2015 following a battle with brain cancer. Biden was greeted by two officials from the hospital who he spoke with for a few minutes and thanked him for the care they provided Beau...
    Former Democratic Alabama Sen. Doug Jones will join CNN as a political commentator after losing his seat on Nov. 3, he announced Friday. Jones sent a tweet out announcing the news, saying his debut will be on CNN anchor Jake Tapper’s show. Jone said he was “very excited” to be joining the CNN team. Very excited to be joining the @CNN team as a political commentator. Tune in this afternoon at 4ET for my “official” debut on @TheLeadCNN with @jaketapper. — Doug Jones (@DougJones) January 29, 2021 Jones was defeated by Sen. Tommy Tuberville, who was declared the winner right after Alabama’s polls closed. Tuberville had been the heavy favorite to win the race with FiveThirtyEight giving him an 87 percent chance of flipping the seat. (RELATED: Top Democratic Official In Alabama Says Sen. Doug Jones Is ‘A Racist’) Sen. Doug Jones (D-AL) asks a question at a hearing...
    REAL MADRID president Florentino Perez is calling Sergio Ramos' bluff by telling him to leave the club if he receives a better contract offer, according to reports. Ramos' future is the biggest talking point in Madrid with the club captain's deal expiring in the summer. 4Sergio Ramos is locked in a transfer dispute at Real MadridCredit: Getty Images - Getty 4 The club and player have yet to come to an agreement with the latest talks hitting a stalemate. Real Madrid are willing to offer Ramos a two-year extension but tell him he must take a ten per cent cut to his salary. Ramos turns 35 in March and his age has been called into question while the club are eager to lower their wage bill over the coronavirus pandemic. But El Pais report Ramos has told Perez he has a £17.6million deal on the table...