Sunday, Mar 07, 2021 - 02:08:51
574 results - (0.012 seconds)

and this can:

(CNN)Father's Day is June 21, and just like all the other holidays during the coronavirus pandemic, it's going to take some extra creativity to celebrate Dad this year. Here are some ways to make his day one to remember. Plan a virtual gatheringWhile nothing compares to seeing your dad in person, a virtual celebration is the best way to bring together those who are not in the same household during social distancing.By using video conferencing platforms such as Facebook, Houseparty, and Zoom, you can get a bit of intimacy despite physical distance. Read MoreHave a meal, share a mealA volunteer distributes child-care essentials to families in need at a Food Bank For New York City pantry.This day usually comes packed with a good hearty meal. So how about also providing for people facing hunger on Father's Day? Since the pandemic began, some food banks are seeing a four-fold increase in...
    For the past few weeks, I have been testing out bug sprays. This wasn’t a work thing, although it quickly became one. No, this was a race against the clock. My legs were coated in mosquito bites, just from spending time outside reading or walking the dog. Since the backyard is where I was hoping to spend all of my time this summer, I needed a solution, and I needed one fast. Mosquito candles and repellers are great, but you have to light them or turn them on everytime you go outside. I needed something that lasts for a long time, is easy to apply, and keeps mosquitos off of me at all costs. I can’t answer the age old question as to whether DEET is ok to use or not. However, what I can say is that this bug spray without DEET works just as well as ones...
    (CNN)Each year, on June 20, World Refugee Day spotlights the bravery and strength of people forced to flee their home countries to escape war or oppression. According to the UN, which established World Refugee Day in 2000, more than 70 million people are now forcibly displaced worldwide. More than half of them come from Syria, Afghanistan, South Sudan, Myanmar and Somalia. The UN declared this year's theme "Every Action Counts." And although coronavirus is limiting physical opportunities to get involved this year, there are still plenty of virtual actions you can take to help refugees. According to the UN, refugees are unable or unwilling to return to their country due to fear of persecution for reasons of race, religion, nationality, membership of a particular social group, or political opinion.Join virtual events Read MoreThe UN has compiled a list of events you can join from the comfort of your home that...
    Last month, a 12-year old gospel singer went viral for his song "I Just Wanna Live" amid protests against police brutality and racism. Now, he's landed a record deal with Warner Records and released his song as a single, according to The Associated Press.  Keedron Bryant posted a passionate performance of his song, which highlights the realities of being a young Black man, to social media on May 26, the day after George Floyd was killed. In the song, Bryant sings: "I'm a young black man, doing all that I can to stand. Oh, but when I look around and I see what's being done to my kind every day, I'm being hunted as prey." "My people don't want no trouble, we've had enough struggle. I just want to live. God, protect me, I just want to live," the song continues.  Get Breaking News Delivered to Your Inbox Warner released the song...
    A striking “ring of fire” solar eclipse will occur late Saturday night and into early Sunday morning. But don’t get ready to rush outside in your pajamas. The event will be visible in parts of Africa, the Middle East, India, China and Australia, but not from anywhere in the United States. That’s OK, say astronomers. You can still watch it live on your computer. “It is quite spectacular,” said Andrew Fraknoi, chairman emeritus of astronomy at Foothill College in Los Altos. “If you want to see it without traveling to China or India or Africa, you can see it online. You get a free trip.” Typically, a solar eclipse happens when the moon passes directly between the sun and the Earth, temporarily blocking out its light. Americans were captivated by a total solar eclipse that was visible across the United States in 2017. But in a “ring of fire” solar...
    There are two big questions for Saturday’s Belmont Stakes: 1. Can anyone stop Tiz the Law? Before he was installed as the 6-5 favorite on the morning line, he was already the odds-on favorite in futures betting at Circa Sports in Las Vegas and in global markets. With so many other contenders being hurt or held out of the race, Tiz the Law is the only horse in the field that has a Grade 1 win. Actually, he has two. 2. Can future Hall of Fame trainer Todd Pletcher win the Belmont for the fourth time? After graduating from the stable of D. Wayne Lukas, Pletcher has won it with Rags To Riches (2007), Palace Malice (2013) and Tapwrit (2017). This weekend Dr Post and Farmington Road try to follow in their hoof steps. Both horses were sired by Quality Road, a winner for Pletcher in big races such as...
    Chris Pratt’s wife, Katherine Schwarzenegger gushed about her “wonderful husband” and how he’s been during her pregnancy. “Really well, actually,” the wife of the 40-year-old actor shared during her appearance via video on the Instagram show “Power Up” with her friend Dr. Zelana Montminy. The comments were noted by AOL.com in a piece published Friday. (RELATED: David Hookstead Is The True King In The North When It Comes To College Football) “I’m really lucky to be living in very close proximity to my family, which has been very helpful,” she added.(RELATED: Chris Pratt Visits Military Members For Film Screening, Continues To Be Awesome [PHOTOS]) WATCH:   View this post on Instagram   A post shared by Dr. Zelana Montminy (@dr.zelana) on Jun 18, 2020 at 2:35pm PDT Katherine continued, giving a special shout-out to the “Guardians of the Galaxy” star. “Obviously, I have a very wonderful husband … it’s been amazing having him...
    WWDC 2020 is looming, and Apple wants to be sure developers can keep track of new developments even though they’re stuck at home. It just released a Mac version (first spotted by The Verge) of its normally iPhone- and iPad-focused Apple Developer app to provide news, developer stories and educational videos from the same system you’re using to write your apps. You can see any major changes with a given OS or play a past WWDC session to better understand a feature that’s been around for a while. Apple is promising a Mac-native interface — this isn’t just a blown-up iOS app. And yes, you can pay for a $99 Developer Program membership directly from the app. This may not be as important as the other versions when you can check much of this information on the web, but it may be helpful if you’d rather not launch a browser...
    You might not want to sit down for this. Being sedentary is associated with a much greater risk of developing and dying from cancer, according to a new study published in JAMA Oncology. But it’s not irreversible: the same study found that getting up for just 30 minutes of moderate-intensity activity a day — like riding a bike — can reduce your risk of dying from cancer by 31%. Researchers from the University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center asked 8,002 American adults participating in the Reasons for Geographic and Racial Differences in Stroke (REGARDS) study to wear an activity tracker during their waking hours for seven consecutive days during the time period between 2009 and 2013. The subjects were all over age 45, and wore an accelerometer on their hips. None of them had cancer at the beginning of the study. When researchers followed up with...
    Tesla has drawn backlash after offering employees an unpaid day off for Juneteenth, but only informing them the morning of. Tesla's human resources department informed employees on Friday morning, saying they had the option to take the day off without pay for the holiday commemorating the end of slavery in the U.S., according to CNBC. The email reportedly arrived late in the morning on the east coast and after many had already arrived for shifts on the west coast.  'Tesla fully supports Juneteenth for any US employee that wants to take the day off to celebrate, reflect or participate in events that are meaningful to you. This is an unpaid PTO and excused absence,' the email read, according to CNBC. Workers assemble cars on the line at Tesla's factory in Fremont, California in a file photo. The company told employees on Friday morning that they could take an unpaid...
    Don Cheadle says he has been stopped by Los Angeles police countless times. The Oscar-nominated actor, 55, opened up about his experiences with law enforcement during an appearance on “The Tonight Show” on Thursday, saying he has even had “guns put to my head.” “When I moved to Los Angeles under Daryl Gates and the ‘Hammer program,'” Cheadle told host Jimmy Fallon, referring to the then-LAPD chief of police and the controversial initiative started in 1987 to crack down on gang violence, “I got stopped more times than I can count.” “I always fit the description,” Cheadle said. “… I used to finish their sentences. They’d go, ‘We’re stopping you because…’ and I’d go, ‘Fit the description. I know.'” Cheadle continued, “This is something that was happening over and over again. I had good friends that were almost killed by the police for nothing.” The “House of Lies” actor said that...
    Shortly after California Gov. Gavin Newsom (D) ordered all citizens of his state to wear masks outdoors or in public places, actor and former California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger said that anyone who makes it political is an “absolute moron.” ” “This is 100% the right move,” Schwarzenegger tweeted. “This will help us beat this terrible virus. The science is unanimous — if we all wear masks, we slow down the spread and can reopen safely. It’s not a political issue. Anyone making it a political issue is an absolute moron who can’t read.” This is 100% the right move. This will help us beat this terrible virus. The science is unanimous – if we all wear masks, we slow down the spread and can reopen safely. It’s not a political issue. Anyone making it a political issue is an absolute moron who can’t read. https://t.co/N0FmCwDU5w — Arnold (@Schwarzenegger) June 18, 2020...
    Startling videos have emerged purportedly showing New York City residents shooting fireworks at each other like weapons. The clips are being posted online as fireworks-related complaints are surging in cities across the northeast. In New York City alone, calls to a government hotline to report the obnoxious blasts reportedly are up 4,000 percent, compared to this time last year. One video shows a man sprinting across a road to avoid fireworks aimed at him. A police cruiser then drives through the area as the chaos continues unabated with fireworks exploding around it. Another clip shows locals exchanging volleys of fireworks along a walking path in a housing complex. Some of the multicolored bursts can be seen hitting trees and flying over parked cars, while smoke fills the air. It is not immediately clear if there were any injuries or arrests from the incidents. The NYPD has not yet responded to a request for comment from Fox News. CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP  While...
    Sick of staying home under the coronavirus lockdown, Americans are packing up their cars and hitting the open road. With international travel restrictions still in place, folks in need of a getaway are headed to domestic destinations within 200 miles of home. Vacation-rental giant Airbnb revealed that it saw more US bookings in the weeks between May 17 and June 3 — inclusive of the Memorial Day long weekend — than during the same weeks last year, its CEO tells Bloomberg. New Yorkers in search of new, nearby sights for a quick getaway — or even an extended stay where they can work remotely in different surroundings — have their choice of rentals within easy driving distance. For that change of pace, here are some of the most popular to consider. New York Mid-century modern A-frame home Airbnb In Red Hook, a Dutchess County village in the increasingly popular Hudson...
    Los Angeles Rams head coach Sean McVay doesn’t see how his players will be able to follow social distancing guidelines while also being able to play football — and he’s not the only one. McVay shared the sentiment of many in the NFL on Thursday when he said that he doesn’t see how the league can implement certain social distancing guidelines without it impacting players' abilities to perform. FAUCI DOESN’T SEE NFL SEASON HAPPENING UNLESS LEAGUE ADOPTS NBA ‘BUBBLE’ PLAN "We're gonna social distance, but we play football? It's really hard for me to understand all this. I don't get it. I really don't,” he said according to Sports Business Journal. The NFL has released protocols approved by the NFLPA that players will have to abide by when they return to training facilities for the 2020 season. Among one of the most difficult, yet necessary, rules that players will have to...
    This is a preview of our pop culture newsletter The Daily Beast’s Obsessed, written by senior entertainment reporter Kevin Fallon. To receive the full newsletter in your inbox each week, sign up for it here. Award Shows in the Time of CoronavirusAmidst all the, well, everything going on in the world, there were two bits of news that may have escaped you this week because with the, well, everything going on there is absolutely no reason you should have paid attention.  That said, here is a longer-than-necessary write-up of those two very things. It was announced that this year’s Oscars ceremony is going to be pushed back until April due to the coronavirus, while this year’s Emmys ceremony is still going to take place as scheduled in September.  I know. Award shows? In this climate?  They are an indulgence that couldn’t seem more inconsequential right now, except for the crucial fact...
    The bottle: Shots Box, boxes starting at $39.99 The back story: So, you want to buy dad a special bottle for Father’s Day. But you’re not sure which spirit is his favorite. Scotch? Bourbon? Maybe even a cucumber-flavored vodka? Enter Shots Box, a company that creates sample packs of craft spirits with the thought that you can have it all. The California-based outfit, launched two years ago by entrepreneur JC Stock and attorney and craft distiller Casper Rankin, offers boxed assortments of 10 mini bottles (50 ml). You can stick within a spirit category, including gin, vodka, whiskey or liqueurs. Or you can create your own customized box with as much variety across categories as you desire, picking from dozens of options. Monthly subscriptions are offered as well. Shots Box says it aims to spotlight brands that are generally not on store shelves nationally. “A lot of these are mom-and-pop...
    If you’re shopping for a gaming laptop, you’ll find good specs like Intel’s powerful 10th Gen six-core i7 H-series processor, a fast PCIe-based SSD, and a 120Hz refresh rate display in many of the costly, high-end models currently available. But you’ll also find all of that in Lenovo’s new IdeaPad Gaming 3, a machine that costs a bit less than $1,000 even at its most expensive configuration. This budget-friendly laptop is able to run most modern games at a playable frame rate, and if you’re looking for something that’s useful for getting work done on, it has a decent selection of ports, a responsive Windows Precision trackpad, and a full-size backlit keyboard with satisfying key travel. The IdeaPad Gaming 3’s design doesn’t stray too far from what you might expect for a budget gaming laptop. It’s a hulk of plastic that, for the money, actually looks presentable and low-profile....
    Paul “Triple H” Levesque describes WWE’s return to television production as “a shell game” in terms of “moving pieces around.” The company announced late Monday night that a member of its developmental talent who was at the wrestling company’s training center in Orlando last week had tested positive for coronavirus and it was shutting down production on Tuesday in order to test all of the talent and on-site employee for COVID-19. It left WWE reportedly looking to film as many as seven shows Wednesday, including its live NXT broadcast for USA Network. Both Raw and SmackDown are also being shot at the Performance Center. Levesque, who is also executive vice president, global talent strategy and development for the company and in charge of NXT, said WWE planned for both and the best and worst-case scenarios as far as having talent cleared to shoot after the testing was done. He...
    USF reportedly doesn’t want to keep paying former football coach Charlie Strong. According to FootballScoop, the university and NCAA representatives are interviewing people tied to the program to see if Strong ever let analysts do on-field coaching, which would violate NCAA rules. If he violated NCAA rules, it could allow USF to stop paying the nearly $3 million owed to him. Strong was fired after three seasons. (RELATED: David Hookstead Is The True King In The North When It Comes To College Football) USF released a statement acknowledging there was an investigation, but failed to provide details “in order to protect the integrity of the investigation.” The school told FootballScoop, “the university continues to abide by the terms of its agreement with Mr. Strong.” You can go ahead and inject this right into my veins. There’s nothing that gets me going like a little college football drama. USF trying to find a...
    This weekend brings a multi-day pop-up of a popular but now-shuttered Denver eatery, sweets by the pound and the scoop, a unique pulque pairing dinner, and a tipsy version of what's sure to be the next official Summer Olympics event. For both online and live Father's Day events on Sunday, June 21, visit our list of delicious Dad's Day specials that you can present to your father or keep for yourself (we won't breathe a word). Then keep reading for future events worth planning ahead for as well as virtual happenings that are still going strong. EXPAND Euclid Hall is back — but only for one weekend. Jennifer Olson Friday, June 19 Those who have been craving a sausage fest of the best sort since the late, great Euclid Hall closed in March will want to stop by Ultreia, 1701 Wynkoop Street, this weekend for a miniature version of the...
    Listen to our archived episodes: RadioPublic|LibSyn|YouTube Support the show: Patreon|PayPal: 1x or monthly|Square Cash Friday! The day at which all of our other jokes about what day it is are ultimately aimed. Hmm. Now I feel bad about that. I’m sorry, Friday. I didn’t mean it. I think we were just jealous of you this whole time. Would it make you feel any better if I said, “Well, at least it’s Tuesday!” or something like that? Well, we’ll give Friday our best shot, anyway. It’s Fathers’ Day this weekend. If you’re lucky enough to be able to wish your father well for the day, perhaps you’d like to give him the gift of a story about some particular aspect of how Donald Trump is the worst person alive today. I think we have what you need in stock. And free shipping! Listen right here at 9:00 AM ET! Even...
    The Malayalam movie Ayyappanum Koshiyum, helmed by the late screenwriter – director Sachy, features Prithviraj Sukumaran and Biju Menon in the lead roles. It was his last project that turned out to be a hit at the box office. This successful film is also getting a remake in Hindi and its rights has been acquired by Bollywood actor-producer John Abraham. This Malayalam movie, which was released on February 7, 2020, was Sachy’s second directorial project after Anarkali, which also had Prithviraj and Biju in the lead. Sachy’s film Ayyappanum Koshiyum is now available on Amazon Prime and you can watch it right away if you haven’t watched yet! Ayyappanum Koshiyum Director Sachy Passes Away at 48: Nivin Pauly, Vishnu Vishal and Netizens Express Grief Over The Tragic News (View Tweets). There were many who rushed to watch this Malayalam film, Ayyappanum Koshiyum, the day it hit the theatres. In case you...
    DEAR HARRIETTE: I used to work in TV production, and I loved my job. A few years ago, when the economy was down, I lost my job, and I have been foundering ever since. Harriette Cole  I now work with a temp agency doing clerical work. I hate this job, but I haven’t been able to find anything else. I think my attitude is getting in my way. Because I really don’t think I should have to be doing this, I sometimes get mad when my boss — whoever it is on a job — piles on lots of administrative work. I just don’t like doing it, and I can get snippy. Or sometimes I don’t complete assignments on time. I realize it’s not because I have too much to do. I think it’s because I resent having to do it. This probably sounds crazy, but I can’t seem to...
    Amid weeks of civil unrest following the police killing of George Floyd, Oklahoma state Representative Regina Goodwin witnessed a disturbing sight on Wednesday: masses of Donald Trump supporters—some in Confederate gear—lining up blocks from the site of the 1921 race massacre on “Black Wall Street” in Tulsa. Some of the assembled fans, determined to attend the president’s first campaign rally in months, sang pro-Trump anthems and told local reporters they set up tents in order to ensure they got good seats inside the nearly 20,000-person arena. After all, it promised to be the largest indoor public gathering in the country since COVID-19 sent a shockwave of lockdowns and quarantines throughout the world. “The point is to rally his base, and they are out there on this sidewalk wanting to be the first in line,” Goodwin, who serves as chair of the Oklahoma Legislative Black Caucus, told The Daily Beast. “I’ve...
    The summer solstice is nearly here, and with it comes a rare celestial phenomenon. The first solar eclipse of the decade promises to create a rare "ring of fire" — just in time to kick off the start of a new season. On June 20-21, people in certain parts of the Eastern Hemisphere will be able to view the eclipse. People in other parts of the world — or anyone who cannot go outside because of the pandemic — can view the entire spectacle online. What is an annular solar eclipse? A total solar eclipse occurs when the moon passes directly between the Earth and the sun, completely blocking the sun's light. During an annular solar eclipse, the moon does not completely cover the sun as it passes, leaving a glowing ring of sunlight visible. Trending News There may be 36 intelligent alien civilizations in the Milky Way Company plans space tourism flights...
    Kate Middleton delighted children across the UK by making a surprise appearance in an online school assembly for the Oak National Academy, an online classroom set up to support teachers and parents during the coronavirus pandemic. In the pre-recorded 10-minute lesson taped from Middleton’s home at Anmer Hall in Norfolk, England, the mother of three discussed topics including mental health, the importance of kindness and acknowledged that lockdown has been hard on everyone (via Daily Mail). “Talking to someone, whether it’s a friend, family member, or teacher, is something you can do to make yourself feel that little bit better,” she said in the video. “And you can also play your part in helping others to feel better too, whether offering a friendly ear or helping someone in need.” The 38-year-old Duchess of Cambridge went on to say, “Small acts of kindness can go such a long way. But as...
    EA’s Play Live event is happening exclusively online this year, along with every other in-person event that was supposed to happen at E3 2020, which was canceled due to the coronavirus pandemic. If you want to learn more about Madden 21, the new Star Wars: Squadrons, and all of the other surprise game announcements EA has in store for the PS4, Xbox One, PC, as well as PS5 and Xbox Series X (and maybe some more Nintendo Switch games), then you’ll want to watch this event. What time does EA Play Live start? The event starts at 7PM ET / 4PM PT on Thursday, June 18th. Where can I watch EA Play Live? You can follow along with the event on EA’s site. For the sake of simplicity, we’ve attached a YouTube live stream at the top of this post that will start broadcasting when the event begins. If...
    (CNN)Last Friday, heath care workers across the country stepped out of hospitals and medical practices to kneel for 8 minutes and 46 seconds in remembrance of George Floyd. In Philadelphia, where I live and practice pediatrics, we kneeled on sidewalks and parking lots and hospital gardens. Those who were quarantined due to Covid-19 kneeled at home. We did this because we are outraged by the repeated, barbaric killings of African Americans at the hands of police. We did this because we are dedicated to prolonging and enriching peoples' lives and cannot tolerate them being stamped out on the pavement. And we did this because racism is bad for our patients' health. Dorothy Novick We know that prevention is the best medicine. This is why we consider it our fundamental responsibility to address the systemic and individual racism that underlie so many of our nation's health inequities. Doing this requires more...
    Some things you can always expect to be true: Pikachu is cute. Wailord is huge. And Slowpoke, our beloved water/psychic-type, is sluggish. It’s in the name. Slowpoke. So can someone explain this to me? The paradox you are witnessing is from a scene out of Isle of Armor, the recent Pokémon Sword and Shield DLC. For those who haven’t played, Isle of Armor introduces you to Mustard, Leon’s mentor, who oversees a dojo where players can take on trials. Mustard is a top-tier trainer who used to be a Galar League Champion. But just in case that factoid didn’t convince you of his prowess, the DLC also introduces you to three blazing-fast Galarian Slowpoke who were trained by Mustard. These Slowpoke are so quick, they can easily outrun a human. The whole thing is fun bit of lore, albeit one that leaves me with a ton of questions. How...
    The US Open is all set to kick off after all the hiccups. This is solely due to the hard work being put in by the support staff. In fact, it is not a financially feasible model. No fans would mean a severe lack of revenue. However, for the interest of tennis, a tournament is much needed. Rest assured, the safety standards will also be maintained. The CEO and executive director of the United States Tennis Association (U.S.T.A), has confirmed that the organization will be running on losses. They are willing to take the risk despite that. Know More – “It Is Blatant Discrimination” – Australian World Number One Trashes US Open What did the US Open top official say? Mike Dowse was pretty happy that they are giving fans what they want. However, he warned of the dangers of such a model. Mike Dowse “I’ll start with the sponsors. I’m...
    If the NFL wants to have a season, it will need to make major changes, and that includes a bubble to house players and employees, Dr. Anthony Fauci believes. The director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases and a key member of the federal government’s response to the novel coronavirus pandemic is doubtful the league can play a traditional season in home stadiums. “Unless players are essentially in a bubble – insulated from the community and they are tested nearly every day – it would be very hard to see how football is able to be played this fall,” Fauci said in an interview with CNN. “If there is a second wave, which is certainly a possibility and which would be complicated by the predictable flu season, football may not happen this year.” The NBA and MLS are planning to play in Orlando in a bubble,...
    If the NFL wants to have a season, it will need to make major changes, and that includes a bubble to house players and employees, Dr. Anthony Fauci believes. The director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases and a key member of the federal government’s response to the novel coronavirus pandemic is doubtful the league can play a traditional season in home stadiums. “Unless players are essentially in a bubble – insulated from the community and they are tested nearly every day – it would be very hard to see how football is able to be played this fall,” Fauci said in an interview with CNN. “If there is a second wave, which is certainly a possibility and which would be complicated by the predictable flu season, football may not happen this year.” The NBA and MLS are planning to play in Orlando in a bubble, containing...
    The Amazon Kindle Paperwhite is $100 right now ($30 off) for the 8GB version in black. If you fancy one of the other colors, like plum, twilight blue, or sage, those are $25 off instead. Whichever you choose, you’ll be getting the best e-reader for even less than usual. Compared to the more affordable Kindle model, this one’s screen has a more pixel dense display for smoother fonts and better-looking images. It’s also backlit for night-time reading and IPX8 waterproof. This model also supports Bluetooth headphones, so you can listen to Audible audiobooks if that’s what the moment calls for instead of reading. If getting a waterproof Kindle with a great screen isn’t a priority, but you need an e-reader, the regular Kindle is $65 (usually $90). This model still has Bluetooth support for Audible audiobooks. Photo by Dan Seifert / The News...
    A lot has happened this year. A global pandemic shut us within our walls and racial injustice continues to be a problem. There are still more issues that need to be addressed but going through the entire list would take years. At times, people may feel helpless. They may feel that their voice isn’t powerful enough to create change. However, this is untrue. There are many resources out there for us to voice our opinions. One way is to contact our congressional leaders. Through sending an email and/or calling their offices, we are given the opportunity to share our views and pleas for change. We can ask them to support legislation that fights COVID-19. We can demand justice and accountability. We can urge them to protect bills that reduce global poverty. Related Articles Letter: COVID-19 shows animals merit more care, concern Letter: Campus police a big help in keeping outsiders...
    North Korea will likely attack the U.S. presidential election in November, experts warn, as Kim Jong Un's regime already has threatened that possibility. "North Korea will be able to test how far and to what extent it can damage the U.S. election system," Sung-Yoon Lee, the Kim Koo-Korea Foundation professor in Korean Studies at the Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy at Tufts University, predicted. "I fully expect North Korea to test its own capabilities to see what it can get away with by hacking into the U.S. election system." "North Korea's cyber abilities are simply one of the best in the world," he noted. "It would be surprising if North Korea did not test its abilities during the election." The North Korean Foreign Ministry recently warned the Trump administration that "the U.S. had better hold its tongue and mind its internal affairs first if it doesn't want to experience [a] horrible thing....
    A new study reveals global efforts to improve air quality have fallen short. Researchers found half of the world’s population is exposed to increasing air pollution, with some areas reaching an amount five times above safety levels. The team, in collaboration with the World Health Organization, notes it is low- and middle-income areas with the highest concentrations. The contributing culprits include the inefficient use of energy by households, industry, the agriculture and transport sectors and coal-fired power plants. Scroll down for video  The study analyzed trends in global air quality between 2010 and 2016, against the efforts made by countries around the world to reduce pollution, including both short and long term policies Professor Shaddick, Chair of Data Science & Statistics at the University of Exeter said: ‘While long-term policies to reduce air pollution have been shown to be effective in many regions, notably in Europe and the United...
    The suspect in the disappearance of little Madeleine McCann kept a stash of child pornography and girl’s swimsuits and other clothes inside his mobile home, according to a new documentary. Police allegedly discovered the sickening cache — including 8,000 images of children being abused — inside Christian Brückner’s RV in 2016, amid a probe into several kids’ disappearances. A documentary that aired on German TV on Monday night revealed some of the contents of the mobile home, the UK’s the Sun said. Brückner, 43, reportedly bought the red and white Allegro Bay RV in early 2010 — three years after moving back to his native Germany from Portugal. Friends told the Spiegel TV show he used it to drive regularly back and forth between Germany, Spain and Portugal. A former pal of Brückner’s said the suspect “told me, ‘I can transport children, kids, in this space. Drugs and children, you...
    (CNN)In March, Mike Iacobucci was just days away from signing a 12-year lease for a 53,000-square-foot office space for his company when he decided to pull out at the last minute. More from Success Yes, the job market is a mess, but you can still switch careers What CEOs and managers should be doing for black employees People are saving more than ever. Here's where to stash your cash"I woke up one day, and I called the CFO and said: 'pull the plug,'" said Iacobucci, CEO of Interactions, an artificial intelligence company. "That was just before everyone started working from home."Companies across the country are grappling with what their workspaces are going to look like in a post-pandemic world. But for many employers, another big question is: Do we even need an office? Even large global corporations are exploring whether they can save money on shrinking their real estate footprint....
    'Hidden mutations' in the DNA of tomato plants could boost their size, weight and flavour leading to new 'super varieties', a study has claimed. Scientists analysed the genomes of 100 tomato varieties, including an orange-berried tomato that grows on the Galapagos and the type used in Ketchup, to reveal more than 200,000 genetic mutations.  The team then used this newfound knowledge to modify a plant's genome, causing it to produce 30 per cent larger tomatoes.  The research could help boost yields for British farmers and reduce reliance on imports, as the UK currently has to buy 80 per cent of its tomatoes overseas.   Scientists identified 200,000 mutations in 100 varieties including an orange-berried one that grows in the Galapagos, and those used to make ketchup and sauces Scientists studying genetic mutations in plants and animals have generally focused on smaller mutations, in which one DNA letter is swapped out...
    You may be quick to buy a new pair of shoes or replace an old set of wine glasses, but when was the last time you replaced your sheets? You slip into your sheets every single night, after all, and a tired old set could be contributing to your lack of sleep and impending crankiness. Here’s an easy and cheap solution: update your bed with this hypoallergenic sheet set made with organic bamboo fiber for just $33. Not only are they cooling (right in time for summer), but they come in a ton of colors and sizes. The high-quality microfiber and bamboo blend is what makes this four-piece set ideal for summer nights. The material stays cool and wards off allergens which can keep you up at night. Plus, the 1,800 thread count set comes with a fitted sheet, flat sheet, and either two or four pillowcases, so you can update your entire set...
    America feels like it's falling apart. That's because it is. There are two ways to achieve unity in any group. The first is to set up a few serious standards of conduct, policed with the absolute minimum of compulsion, and then allow freedom in all other matters. This was the founding vision for our federal government. SEN. TOM COTTON: TWITTER TRIED TO CENSOR ME – AND THEY LOST In this vision, we agree not to infringe upon one another's life, liberty and property, and we create a government capable of preventing or prosecuting such infringements. Then, so long as we abide by those simple standards, we are free to pursue our own paths.More from OpinionTom Homan: Trump’s police reforms will help prevent misconduct by bad cops without endangering public safetyJames Carafano: US should back India after China kills at least 20 Indian troopsJohn Yoo: Supreme Court's LGBTQ ruling – a look...
    Jon Stewart spoke about the ongoing protests against police brutality as well as Donald Trump’s handling of the situation amid the coronavirus pandemic in a lengthy new interview. The former “Daily Show” host spoke to The New York Times Magazine to promote his upcoming film “Irresistible,” which focuses on a Democratic strategist helping a man from a small conservative town win his mayoral election. The wide-ranging interview touched upon the news of the day, prompting the comedian to note that he believes the problem with policing in the United States has to do with larger societal issues. “I’d like to say I’m surprised by what happened to him, but I’m not,” he said of the death of George Floyd in police custody in Minneapolis, Minn., that sparked the ongoing protests around the country. “This is a cycle, and I feel that, in some ways, the issue is that we’re addressing...
    On Oct. 30, 2001, wearing a navy-blue New York Fire Department quarter zip, President George W. Bush stepped out onto the mound at Yankee Stadium to throw the first pitch of game three of the World Series. There was not much to cheer for in the days following 9/11, but the cheers from the crowd were deafening, as the president stood there with American flags flying all around. It was a moment that transcended time and brought the nation together when we needed it the most. No matter who you were, where you were from, what your politics were, we were all united as one team, Americans. MATT McGEE: TO MY GRADUATE — AMID THE YEAR'S TURMOIL, THESE 3 THINGS WILL HELP YOU MAKE YOUR MARK There are multiple points across our history where baseball brought our nation together. I even saw it three years ago in Washington, D.C., when Special Agent David Bailey...
    NASCAR Hall of Famer Dale Jarrett announced Tuesday he has tested positive for COVID-19 and now is in quarantine. The 63-year-old Jarrett broke the news during NASCAR’s Hall of Fame announcement, explaining that’s why he did not return to NBCSN’s studio with the other hosts. The three-time Daytona 500 winner and 1999 Cup champion said the only symptom he had was a slight cough and that he was doing well. “I’ve been one of the very fortunate ones that my symptom has only been a slight cough throughout all of this and it’s really getting less and less each day, so I’m doing very, very well,” Jarrett said. “All I can say is follow all the guidelines stay as safe as you possibly can and hopefully we can all get through this in the very near future.”
    NASCAR Hall of Famer Dale Jarrett announced Tuesday he has tested positive for COVID-19 and now is in quarantine. The 63-year-old Jarrett broke the news during NASCAR’s Hall of Fame announcement, explaining that’s why he did not return to NBCSN’s studio with the other hosts. The three-time Daytona 500 winner and 1999 Cup champion said the only symptom he had was a slight cough and that he was doing well. “I’ve been one of the very fortunate ones that my symptom has only been a slight cough throughout all of this and it’s really getting less and less each day, so I’m doing very, very well,” Jarrett said. “All I can say is follow all the guidelines stay as safe as you possibly can and hopefully we can all get through this in the very near future.” ____ More AP auto racing: https://apnews.com/apf-AutoRacing and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports Copyright © 2020 The Associated...
    Becca Kufrin admitted she and fiancé Garrett Yrigoyen are going through a rough time in their relationship and she's unsure of their future as a couple. The "Bachelorette" star and Yrigoyen met on her season of the reality TV dating show and became engaged during the finale in 2018. But recently they've been struggling after Yrigoyen made comments about police officers amid the Black Lives Matter protests across the country after the death of George Floyd. FORMER 'BACHELORETTE' RACHEL LINDSAY SAYS SHE'LL QUIT FRANCHISE UNLESS DIVERSITY PROBLEMS ARE SOLVED While appearing on fellow "Bachelor" franchise star Rachel Lindsay's podcast, "Bachelor Happy Hour," Kufrin addressed her relationship status. “I want to say to our listeners out there -- because I’m sure many will hear this back and wonder and ask and have opinions -- for those who are curious about my relationship with Garrett at this point, all I can say right now is...
    “Bachelorette” couple Becca Kufrin and Garret Yrigoyen’s relationship is uncertain after he shared a message supporting cops on his Instagram page. Kufrin said the “Bachelorette” couple is “trying to work through” issues “at home” during Tuesday’s appearance on her podcast “Bachelor Happy Hour” with Rachel Lindsay. The news comes after Yrigoyen posted both a black lives matter square followed by a blue lives matter post. View this post on Instagram And then she said “G, who’s got a better axe… me or @beyonce ?” . . #garrettlife #axethrowing #iliketappingyouraxe #smackdataxe A post shared by Garrett Yrigoyen (@gy_yrigoyen) on Mar 14, 2020 at 6:54pm PDT “I want to say to our listeners out there — because I’m sure many will hear this back and wonder and ask and have opinions — for those who are curious about my relationship with Garrett at this point, all I can say...
    Talia Shire. Now in the indie “Working Man.” About a factory closing, a husband fired, a marriage tough. Real fairy tale. “The story’s about fighting to keep a factory and a marriage. The real story’s about me quarantined in LA’s Westwood with three dogs. I’m a mystic so I pray, meditate, read, listen to Bach. My father [composer Carmine Coppola] taught me music helps actors. They listen to the rhythm. I’m Italian-American so I listened to Puccini and Pavarotti for my character to fight to be alive. Freud’s ‘love and work’ is all there is.” Twice-married Shire, 74, whom you may know best from the “Godfather” and “Rocky” movies: “Anytime you go into the unknown, there’s anxiety. Now couples are having anxiety. But it can be positive. Unless it was hollow to begin with, finding another kind of intimacy you can sometimes have a renaissance. These transformational times are not...
    (CNN)It won't look like the previous years, but there will be world-class tennis in New York City this summer.New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo announced on Tuesday that the US Open tennis tournament will take place without fans starting in late August. "We're excited about the US Open. It's going to be held in Queens, August 31 through September 13. It will be held without fans, but you can watch it on TV and I'll take that. The tennis authorities are going to be taking extraordinary precautions," Cuomo said at a press conference in Albany, New York. The precautions include "robust testing, additional cleaning, extra locker room space, and dedicated housing & transportation."Divisions between players emerged last week after the United States Tennis Association proposed a series of strict restrictions to enable the event to take place. The governing body proposed creating a bubble for players at an airport hotel outside...
    Martin Gugino suffered a skull fracture and still can't walk, according to his lawyers The 75-year-old peace activist who was filmed being pushed to the ground by Buffalo police during a Black Lives Matter protest has a skull fracture and can't walk, his lawyer has said.  Martin Gugino was filmed being shoved over by cops in Buffalo and lying on the ground in pain while blood streamed from his head earlier this month.  He had not aggravated the officers and was instead protesting peacefully.  On Tuesday, his attorney told CNN that he had a skull fracture and still had not recovered fully.  'I am not at liberty to elaborate at this time other than to confirm that his skull was fractured.  'While he is not able to walk yet, we were able to have a short conversation before he became too tired. 'He is appreciative of all of the...
    Normally around this time of year, many families would be sending their kids off to summer camps to keep them busy and entertained while school's out — but with the pandemic still raging on, most of these camps are closed. For most people, that will mean finding other ways to keep kids having fun and out of mom and dad's hair during the day. For the super-wealthy, though, it just means splashing out a bit more cash. Luxury travel company Embark Beyond has launched special 'private luxury camp experiences' this summer, inviting families to come stay, swim, play sports, and more — for up to $150,000 per week. Must be nice: Luxury travel company Embark Beyond launched Camp Embark this summer Luxury: They plan luxury vacations for the whole family at private and semi-locations (like Chatham Bars Inn, pictured) and include designated counselors to care for children The getaways are...
    Now that outdoor and indoor dining is allowed again but with restrictions, there’s a lot to take in about what this new restaurant world looks like in the age of coronavirus. There’s a lot to keep track of as restaurants follow new state guidelines and restrictions such as maintaining six feet of social distancing, mandatory face masks, reservation requirements and capacity limits, to name a few. Nancy Ngo dining amid COVID-19 restrictions and guidelines on the patio at La Grolla in St. Paul, June 12. (Nancy Ngo / Pioneer Press) After testing the waters this week — a craving for steak and a proper sit-down restaurant brought me to the dining room of Mancini’s in St. Paul, another craving for dining al fresco brought me to the La Grolla patio in St. Paul and a media invite brought me to Surly Brewing Co. — it was clear the dining scene...
    Housing costs got you down? Though apartment hunting can be frustrating, deals can be found. What does the low-end rent on a rental in Berkeley look like these days — and what might you get for the price? We took a look at local listings for studios and one-bedroom apartments in Berkeley via Zumper and Apartment Guide to see what price-conscious apartment seekers can expect. Take a look at the least expensive listings available now. (Note: Prices and availability are subject to change.) 2555 Virginia St. Photo: Zumper Listed at $1,495 per month, this studio apartment is located at 2555 Virginia St. Its price is 21.3% less than the median rent for a studio in Berkeley, which currently is estimated at $1,900 per month. The unit features hardwood floors; building amenities include assigned parking and on-site laundry. Neither cats nor dogs are permitted. The rental doesn’t require...
    According to rental site Zumper, median rents for a one-bedroom unit in downtown San Jose are hovering near $1,865, compared to a $1,827 median for one-bedroom units in San Jose as a whole. How does the low-end pricing on a downtown rental look these days — and what might you get for your money? We took a look at local listings from Zumper and Apartment Guide to find out what price-conscious apartment seekers can expect to find in the neighborhood, which, according to Walk Score ratings, is quite walkable, is easy to get around on a bicycle and offers many nearby public transportation options. Read on for the least expensive listings available right now. (Note: Prices and availability are subject to change.) 420 S. Third St. Photo: Zumper Photo: Zumper This short-stay studio apartment, at 420 S. Third St., is 374 square feet and is...
    The Long Island Rail Road’s TrainTime app now provides real-time information on how crowded each train car is before you board, officials announced Tuesday. “Prior to the pandemic, we were faced with record ridership, and knew we needed innovative ways to manage crowding on our trains,” LIRR President Phil Eng said at a press conference in Jamaica, Queens. “This is something we’ve been working on for the past year, but now as we strive to help bring back New York’s economy, this information is more vital than ever.” The revamped app assigns color-coded crowding levels to each car, allowing riders to board the less-crowded carriages. “With this, you can see where you’re standing on the platform, where the train is coming in and which car is expected to be in front of you,” Eng said. “Within 10, 15 seconds, as people enter the car, you will see [the color] change.”...
    Dear Moneyist, My husband and I filed a joint income-tax return. I am aware that the stimulus check for a husband and wife is $2,400, and it will likely be one check. Unfortunately, my husband passed away on April 12 from COVID-19, and I have not yet received our stimulus entitlement. Don’t miss:‘We will not have a vaccine by next winter.’ Like the 1918 Spanish flu, CDC says second wave of coronavirus could be worse. So what happens now? If I receive the stimulus check issued to both of us, can I just sign it and deposit the check in our bank account, and reimburse the Internal Revenue Service later? I am planning to ask the IRS to use it to help pay for cremation expenses and hospital bills, which amount to $8,000. I am sure there are other senior citizens who have the same issues as...
    Dear Moneyist, My mother claimed me as a dependent in 2019, but I was not aware of this, I had a 2018 and 2019 annual gross income of zero. I was staying with her when she claimed me as a dependant. I am not upset with her. I understand that, at the time, it helped her and didn’t hurt me. Now, however, it’s a different story. It has kept me from receiving a stimulus check. I filed the non-filer paperwork, and that’s how I discovered that I was being claimed, and that I was denied a stimulus. Is there anything I can do now, or in the future, to claim my $1,200 stimulus check? Rob Dispatches from a pandemic: Letter from New York: ‘New Yorkers wear colorful homemade masks, while nurses wear garbage bags’ Dear Son, It sounds like you have a healthy relationship with your mother. That makes a...
    This content is sponsored by Rocky Gorge Animal Hospital. With warmer weather well on its way, keeping your pet clean amid the mud, skinny dipping, drooling, and shedding will quickly turn into a daily battle. Here are a few ways to hopefully help both you and your pet keep your cool this summer. Our knee-jerk reaction for summer grooming is often a full-body shave. While this can be the right move for some pets, it is often more rewarding for the owners than their fur babies, themselves. Most animal coats are expertly crafted to both insulate in the winter and cool in the summer. There is often a necessary mixture of under and outer coats and shaving could disrupt this balance. Additionally, shaving can expose our pets to sunburn. Circumstances in which we may recommend a partial or full-body shave are when the majority of the pet’s fur is matted, the...
    By Amir Vera and Pierre Meilhan | CNN At least two callers and a dispatcher were concerned about Minneapolis police officers’ use of force with George Floyd, according to dispatch recordings and transcripts released by the city’s police department Monday. Floyd eventually died after former officer Derek Chauvin’s knee was pressed on his neck for eight minutes and 46 seconds on May 25. Chauvin has been fired and charged with second-degree murder. Three other officers on the scene were charged with aiding and abetting second-degree murder and aiding and abetting second-degree manslaughter. Dispatch calls from that day seemed to share the same level of distress. A concerned dispatcher watching the fatal incident on surveillance cameras felt it was necessary to alert a supervisor about the use of force applied by the officers. “You can call me a snitch if you want to, but we have the cameras up for 320’s...
    Consumed by the murder of George Floyd and the protests against killer cops, rapper A Meazy called local producer Mic Coats at the end of May and invited him to work on a new song with some of Denver hip-hop's sharpest voices.  “Something was tugging on him to put together an artistic piece of work to speak to the heaviness that’s going on with the protesting and the Black Lives Matter movement and the racial inequalities among us,” recalls Coats. The two artists had collaborated on some of A Meazy’s previous projects. But Coats wasn’t immediately sure how to approach this one — particularly because he had been hiding away, too traumatized by the violence to focus. “I was kind of shielding myself from a lot of the mainstream media about it,” he explains.Related StoriesSpoke in Wordz Has Been Tackling Police Violence for YearsWheelchair Sports Camp's New Song...
    FRANKFORT, Ky. (AP) - A summer camp hosted by Kentucky State Police for underprivileged children won’t be held due to concerns about the coronavirus pandemic, but officials will host online camp activities. Police Commissioner Rodney Brewer said in a statement that he challenged the Trooper Island camp staff to develop a free virtual camp for kids of all ages. “While we may not be able to interact in person, we can still connect with these young people and teach them skills they can utilize at home or when camp is back in session,” Brewer said. Topics will include swimming and archery. The first episode will air June 30 on the state police YouTube channel and the Trooper Island Facebook page and there will be two episodes a week for the month of July. Parents can register their children online. Children who certify that they have watched all episodes will...
    Nearly half of Americans wouldn’t date someone who didn’t have the same thermostat etiquette as them, according to new research. Thermostat etiquette is real, and according to a poll of 2,000 Americans, arguments over thermostats are serious enough that nearly one in four Americans have ended a friendship because of it. The study, conducted by OnePoll in conjunction with Trane Residential, aimed to uncover just how serious Americans take temperature and discovered the average American says 69 degrees Fahrenheit is the perfect indoor temperature. But that doesn’t mean they’re turning their ACs on immediately once it warms up — as results showed it’s not an action they take lightly. As a testament to mankind’s hubris, 67% always think they can beat the heat just fine, but it’s never the case. According to the survey, Americans will torture themselves through five sleepless, sweaty, excruciating nights before finally turning on their AC....
    Thank you Bulldog® Gin for partnering with Half Full on the Bartenders At Home cocktail video series. Why do you like making and serving this classic cocktail? “With everyone on stay-at-home orders, we have all become our own bartender. So often we want to create an interesting cocktail, but don’t have access to fresh berries. I wanted to show how jam can be used in a cocktail in place of fresh fruit. The Clover Club Cocktail is a delicious drink, and it really is delicious and close to the original when jam is used in place of a fresh raspberry syrup.” When would you serve this drink? “This is a before dinner drink.” What music would you pair it with? “It is a sophisticated cocktail, so I think jazz is fitting.” What food would you pair it with? “Homemade potato chips with truffle crème fraîche dip. I think a salty...
    (CNN)For LGBTQ Americans, this is a watershed moment -- one that's decades overdue, and one that rivals the legalization of same-sex marriage in terms of what it means for our lives. LGBTQ people no longer can be fired simply because of who we are. John D. SutterThe US Supreme Court on Monday ruled that civil rights law protects us from that. The court, in a 6-3 opinion, recognized that the 1964 Civil Rights Act's protections against discrimination based on "sex" also apply to gay and transgender people."An employer who fires an individual for being homosexual or transgender fires that person for traits or actions it would not have questioned in members of a different sex," the court's majority said in an opinion authored by Neil Gorsuch. "Sex plays a necessary and undisguisable role in the decision, exactly what Title VII [of that act] forbids." It's surprising that it's taken this...
    I have to admit: Father’s Day hasn’t exactly been top of my mind for me this year. With everything going on in the world, I haven’t devoted the time or attention that I normally do to planning the day (or a gift) for my dad. (Sorry, Pops!) I imagine I’m not alone. The good news? There’s still time to get your father a present. One of these might do the trick. Le Creuset Everyday Enamelware Serving Tray ($54)While Le Creuset may be famous for its line of cast-iron pots and Dutch ovens, the company makes a range of other products. It introduced a new collection of enamelware this year; its serving tray is perfect for ferrying drinks and food from the kitchen to the living room or to a table outside. Plus, it’s attractive enough to sit out year round. Le Creuset Everyday Enamelware Serving TrayBuy on Le Creuset$54Zingerman’s Father’s Day...
    NFL star J.J. Watt suggested in a tweet posted Saturday that he will kneel for the playing of the national anthem during Houston Texans games, becoming part of a protest started back in 2016 by then-San Francisco quarterback Colin Kaepernick. According to Watt, taking a knee during the anthem is not about “disrespecting the flag or our military,” though past polling on the divisive protest suggests many Americans likely disagree. Following an interview wherein Texans head coach Bill O’Brien made it clear he will be kneeling for the anthem this coming season, a seeming fan of Watt’s posted a message saying he was “pretty sure” the defensive end would not be participating, adding American flag emojis. “A) don’t speak for me,” Watt responded to the now-deleted tweet. “B) if you still think it’s about disrespecting the flag or our military, you clearly haven’t been listening.” A) don’t speak for me...
    (CNN)It's World Refugee Day on June 20, a time to commemorate the most vulnerable populations around the world. CNN Chief Medical Correspondent Dr. Sanjay Gupta turns to Bex Wright, who covers the Rohingya refugee crisis for CNN, and David Miliband, the CEO of the International Rescue Committee, to talk about how we can never be free of a global pandemic unless everywhere in the world is safe.You can listen on your favorite podcast app or read the transcript below.Dr. Sanjay Gupta: I want you to imagine for a moment, life in a refugee camp, you and your family packed in a dense, overcrowded space. You share a bathroom with everyone in the community. You try to wash your hands, but there's barely any soap and water. Now, think about all that in the middle of a pandemic. Given all that's going on in the country right now, it's sometimes hard...
    Personally, I don’t feel comfortable going to a bar or restaurant just yet. But, I still want to support my local community as best I can, and besides, I miss delicious food and drinks I don’t have to prepare myself. So that means adapting, finding ways to make things as close to normal as possible. A great way to have beer you love is to bring a growler to your local brewery, and ask them to fill it up. You won’t even have to go inside to get great beer.  But you shouldn’t just bring any growler. The GrowlerWerks uKeg is a step above the rest. Whereas other growlers will keep beer fresh and carbonated for a week if you’re lucky, this one uses CO2 capsules to pressurize the vessel, meaning beer can stay in there and keep its carbonation for weeks at a time. It’s easy to use: simply...
    Long before I was forced to stay indoors earlier this spring, I spent most of my time ... indoors. I built a PC back in college (with the help of some friends), and ever since then I've continued perfecting my home office setup—switching desks, keyboards, monitors, and more. When many of my friends and colleagues were forced to quarantine because of the coronavirus pandemic, I realized most people don't have a home office setup like mine. With many states re-opening, more and more companies are considering permanent work from home solutions as well. So, my fellow folks privileged enough to work from home, below are some picks that might make that work more bearable. Most have been tested by WIRED's Gear team, and we're recommending others based on customer reviews across retailers, what other sites have to say, and our experience with the brands. Updated for June 2020: I've added...
    This week brings a bake sale for the modern era to combat an age-old problem, a free farm stand, quirky arts and craft beer, in-person Pride, a Native tasting menu, and — because it's summer — fried chicken and rosé. Keep reading for the seven best food and drink events this week, plus more to come. EXPAND Rebel Bread's sourdough loaves benefit Black Lives Matter 5280. Mark Antonation Monday, June 15 The bake sale has long been a fundraiser for school kids and churches, but now one is being used as a tool to right some of the world's wrongs. From Monday, June 15, to Wednesday, June 17, participate in Bakers Against Racism by visiting Rebel Bread's online storefront to pre-order goodies from several local bakeries. The global movement is raising money for organizations working toward systemic change, so proceeds from sales will be donated to a variety of organizations working...
    This article is reprinted by permission from NerdWallet. After walking our dog around the same three-block radius of Los Angeles for months, my partner and I were ready for a change of scenery. We decided to travel to my home state of Montana for the summer. The only question was: How should we get there? If you, like me, are considering traveling this summer, you may be wondering how, where and whether to do it. If you’ve decided to go, you’re likely stuck with two options: flying or driving. Flying can get you across the country in a few hours, but it involves sitting dangerously close to fellow passengers. Airlines have introduced a host of health policies lately, but none of them ensure social distancing throughout the trip. Driving can take far longer but involve less time in proximity to strangers. I have the good fortune of owning (slash living in) a...
    Before the coronavirus pandemic, late June in D.C. meant only one thing for smoked meat fans: the Giant National Capital Barbecue Battle. Not only was the two-day event on Pennsylvania Avenue a chance for backyard pitmasters to mingle with the experts; it was also a chance for the experts to compete for an automatic berth at the Jack Daniel’s World Championship Invitational in Lynchburg, Tennessee, in October. Sadly, like many other annual events in D.C., the in-person event has been canceled due to the virus. It would have taken over a few blocks of Pennsylvania Avenue around 6th Street Northwest during the weekend of June 27 and 28. This year, though, it’s a virtual event that lasts all month. While barbecue fans won’t be able to get a whiff of glazed ribs, smoked chicken or savory burned ends, they will still be able to put their own creations up in...
    New York (CNN Business)A version of this article first appeared in the "Reliable Sources" newsletter. You can sign up for free right here.Do you remember where you were on March 15? I remember it as the weekend when the shutdown started in force. It was the last time taking 3-year-old Sunny to the park before the playground closed. The last time having any guests at the table with me in New York. Everyone has a different recollection of exactly when the pandemic stopped time and reset clocks -- but it was roughly three months ago... Right around this time in mid-March... for many folks in the media business. What were you thinking then? What are you thinking now?Now: At least 2 million casesCNN's latest #'s, via Johns Hopkins: "At least 2,093,448 coronavirus cases in US; at least 115,730 deaths." The outbreak is expanding in some states. Don't be fooled into...
    House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy, R-Calif., told “Sunday Morning Futures” in an exclusive interview that “Congress can do a lot” to help quell the unrest across the country through police reform legislation following several incidents involving law enforcement. McCarthy, who is preparing to introduce legislation on policing this week, told host Maria Bartiromo that “better training” is needed. McCarthy made the comments two days after the police-involved shooting death of a 27-year-old man outside a Wendy’s fast-food restaurant in Georgia, which led to protests and destruction in Atlanta. The Georgia Bureau of Investigation (GBI), which is investigating the shooting of Rayshard Brooks, said the deadly confrontation started on Friday with officers responding to a complaint that a man was sleeping in a car blocking the restaurant's drive-thru lane. The GBI said Brooks failed a field sobriety test and then resisted officers' attempts to arrest him. The GBI released security camera video of the...
    As social media platforms have evolved, they've become more and more about the moment—what you're doing now, rather than what you were doing five years ago. While looking back through photos and posts can be heart-warming and provide a buzz of nostalgia, it can also be painful and embarrassing. If your social media life spans more than a few years then you might not want friends, family, or prospective employers looking back on the sort of person that you used to be. Here we'll show you how you can scrub your timelines on the three biggest social platforms, using both built-in tools and third-party add-ons. Before you get started, don't forget you have the option of backing up your posts first (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram). We should also remind you that you use these third-party tools at your own risk—remember you're giving them access to all of your social media...
    One of the biggest advancements we’ve seen during the coronavirus pandemic crisis is the development of rapid, on-site tests for COVID-19. Thanks to this innovation, the turnaround time for such tests has been reduced from one week to one hour or less. However, getting test results is just half the challenge. It does no good to get a test result in less than an hour if it takes public health agencies a week or longer to act on the information. Unfortunately, this is exactly the crisis America is in danger of drifting into as rapid testing expands to tens of thousands of different sites across the country. DEMOCRATS CHEERING 'BLACK LIVES MATTER' PROTESTS NOW SAY TRUMP RALLIES POSE CORONAVIRUS RISK If we can’t process and react to all these different COVID-19 tests in real-time, then the likelihood of a second wave of the virus this fall, as well as another...
    Second Sunday Series – Editor’s Note: This is the 10th of 12 columns on job search and career building during recovery from addiction, appearing over 12 months – one each on the second Sunday of the month, from September through August. Earlier columns on this subject included an overview of the topic, strategies for restarting one’s career, tips for managing the holidays, ideas for handling difficult conversations, goal-setting for 2020, coping with low-level work, staying positive during job search, managing COVID-19 issues and creating recovery-related résumés.  If you’re in recovery from an addiction, you’ve learned hard-won lessons — sometimes over and over. Like the veteran or survivor of any difficult life challenge, you have a special viewpoint and gifts to offer those around you. Amy Lindgren Right now, the workplace could use some of your wisdom, as reviving shuttered businesses and learning to operate in a changed world is going...
    The Oklahoma City Police Department this week released body camera footage of its officers arresting a Black man last year who said “I can’t breathe” shortly before dying at a hospital, NBC News reports. The May 2019 footage shows three officers arresting Derrick Scott, 42, after police received a complaint that he was involved in a disturbance and was brandishing a firearm, according to Capt. Larry Withrow. The officers are seen chasing Scott in the video and eventually restraining him. While in custody, Scott laid face down in the grass and asked for his medicine, saying “I can’t breathe.” In response to Scott, one of the officers, Jarred Tipton, said “I don’t care,” per NBC. Another officer said “you can breathe just fine” moments later. Scott was pronounced dead at a local hospital later that day, Withrow said in the statement. An autopsy states that Scott suffered no fatal trauma...
    The saying “Better late than never, I guess” has never felt so apt. After 18 years and 25 seasons, The Bachelor has finally announced the first Black lead for its flagship series, Matt James. It’s a positive, if long overdue, sign that the franchise is beginning to take its race problem seriously. But as longtime fans of the franchise well know, it’ll take more than one Black lead to make amends for this franchise’s past failures on race. That The Bachelor is only now announcing its first Black lead, amid widespread Black Lives Matter protests in response to the murder of George Floyd, Breonna Taylor, and other Black Americans by police, is ironic, given the fact that the show almost had a Black Bachelor this year. Mike Johnson, a frontrunner during Hannah Brown’s season, was a top candidate for the role—but producers snubbed him, choosing instead the shockingly uncharismatic walking...
    What if we told you there was a way you could enjoy everything from fries to chicken tenders but with a fraction of the guilt? Meet the Gourmia® GAF735 7-Qt Stainless Steel Digital Air Fryer: Using FryForce 360° Technology, this device circulates hot air so that no oil is required, meaning you can roast, bake, broil, grill, and fry with only a fraction of the calories. Plus, thanks to its 1,700-watt Express Heat System, you can cook food up to 30% faster than a standard oven, helping you spend less time in the kitchen and more time eating with your family. With the Gourmia Air Fryer, you can enjoy a variety of popular dishes with just the tap of one of the eight preset options, including Fries, Wings, Poultry, Seafood, Pizza, Bacon, Roast, and Bake. No matter what you choose to cook, the Perfect Crisp System ensures a crispy exterior...
    You ask, we answer. The Post is fielding questions from readers about New York’s biggest pro sports teams and getting our beat writers to answer them in a series of regularly published mailbags. In today’s installment: the Giants. Do you see Daniel Jones leading the Giants to a Super Bowl in this decade? — Marcadiell Scott That is really what it is all about, isn’t it? A quarterback should be taken high in the draft only if the team can envision him leading it to a Super Bowl. Anyone who says for sure Daniel Jones can or cannot is blowing smoke. What I can say is this: After Jones’s rookie season, I feel more confident about him than I did about Eli Manning after his rookie year in 2004. Jones led the Giants to just three wins in 12 starts, and Manning won only one of his...
    As states and cities lift shelter-in-place restrictions, there’s still so much we don’t know about the coronavirus and how it spreads. Which has left a lot of people wondering: How safe is it, really, to start socializing again? Is wearing a mask a part of our lives for the foreseeable future—and is it possible to persuade stubborn family members to wear one, too? Are short flights safer than long flights? And, are single people destined to remain dateless in the time of coronavirus? This week on Gadget Lab, WIRED science writers Megan Molteni and Adam Rogers come on the show to try to answer some of these pressing questions. The short answer, of course, is that there are no easy answers; each decision we make is now a complicated labyrinth of potential exposure, personal circumstances, risk tolerance, and macro concerns about public health. We’re here to help guide you...
    A Wisconsin gym is facing backlash after it advertised an “I Can’t Breathe”-titled workout, which was reportedly created in honor of George Floyd and to show support for the Black Lives Matter movement. The sign, seen at an Anytime Fitness in Wauwatosa, Wisconsin, shows a list of different sets of workouts, like “burpees.” “And don’t you dare lay down,” the sign reads at the end.   Next to the list of sets is the drawing of a man on one knee. Ex-officer Derek Chauvin was seen kneeling on Floyd’s kneck prior to his death. Chauvin has since been charged with murder. lilblacfleur/Twitter Jen Dunnington, co-owner of the Anytime Fitness branch in question, told TMZ that this was a trainer’s way of trying to “honor” Floyd. The workout was supposed to be “so hard that we felt what he felt.” Many shared their anger for the tone-deaf sign of “support.”...
    Summer blockbuster season has felt like a distant memory for Americans, who, for the past few months, have not been allowed to sit in dark, air-conditioned multiplexes due to the coronavirus pandemic lockdown. But now that cinemas are starting to reopen — LA’s can resume Friday, and AMC said Tuesday it plans to unlock “almost all” of its theaters in July — audiences might still get the coveted chance to see their beloved Disney and Marvel films on the big screen this year. Here’s where the rest of their 2020 tentpoles stand today. “Mulan” “Mulan.”©Walt Disney Co./Courtesy Everett “Mulan,” a live-action remake of the 1998 Disney cartoon (sans singing), was supposed to hit theaters on March 27, but at the onset of the pandemic was delayed till July 24. A summer premiere is still planned, although Disney could push it back further to maximize profit. However, one good omen is that...
    Sen. Tom Cotton said Thursday that mayors and governors should not tolerate the occupation of critical government buildings after protesters calling to defund the police blocked a six-block area in Seattle. “When you look in Seattle and you see all these far-left activists that have declared some kind of autonomous zones, I guess the Democratic Party has gone back to their roots of secession once again, since it was the Democratic Party that seceded and formed the Confederacy,” the Republican Arkansas lawmaker told "America's Newsroom." “We want to see a peaceful resolution to this standoff, but this can’t be allowed to continue indefinitely,” Cotton said. SEATTLE PROTESTERS STORM CITY HALL, DEMAND MAYOR RESIGN AFTER DRIVING POLICE OUT OF AREA, DECLARING AUTONOMOUS ZONE Seattle police say they have received reports of armed guards and potential extortion in a self-declared autonomous zone that includes a now-closed precinct. Video“We’ve heard, anecdotally, reports of citizens and businesses being asked...
    With summer just around the corner, now is the time to stock up on your favorite, sunny-day essentials. If you are already stressing about the heat, then now is the time to grab a personal air conditioner before they start selling out. To help you out, we detailed two of the top personal air conditioners on the market, both of which are having epic deals, so that you can find the perfect one to suit your needs. Stay cool! EvaChill EV-500 Personal Air Conditioner, now on sale for $79.99 (19% off) This ultra-lightweight, energy-efficient air conditioner is perfect for staying cool at home and on-the-go. To get started, fill the water tank, connect to a power supply, and wait as the cartridge absorbs the water. The water then spreads evenly through the cooling pads at the same time air blows through them, and, in return, the water evaporates, lowing the...
    For years, Laura Thomas, a touring chalk artist who also works at the Blue Door Tattoo, felt compelled to create a piece about police violence against black people. Like many Denver artists, she decided to put her skills to work as the world rose up in opposition to the death of George Floyd at the hands of Minneapolis police. "When George Floyd was killed, the desire to create became ever more present," she says. "I recognized not only how divided some people were, but that there were a lot of people that simply didn't understand, didn't connect with what has been happening, had happened and was happening." The country was having a crisis of empathy. Related StoriesDenver Murals Honor George Floyd, Kaepernick and Black Lives MatterBrenden Matthews Created an Image That's Gone Viral at Denver ProtestsDetour and Hiero Veiga Remember Breonna Taylor and George Floyd"I also recognized that once...
    Anytime Fitness has apologized after a Wisconsin branch of the personal exercise centers held an “I Can’t Breathe” workout that the club’s owner said was meant to “honor” George Floyd by being “so hard that we felt what he felt.” The gym in Wauwatosa, west of Milwaukee, advertised the workout on a whiteboard with instructions for the “I Can’t Breathe” workout, which included exercises such as rowing and squat thrusts known as burpees. The sign, which featured a drawing of a person kneeling and praying, also said “… And don’t you dare lay down.” Oh yeah? Check out this workout provided this am by your Wauwatosa Wisconsin US of A Anytime Fitness. Regardless of your feelings on #GeorgeFloyd this is openly mocking him. pic.twitter.com/pAQotcBh96 — horhay
    San Francisco 49ers star Richard Sherman thinks Colin Kaepernick should be in the NFL. Kaepernick has been in the news nonstop ever since the death of George Floyd and Drew Brees’ national anthem comments. Lots of people seem interested in re-igniting the debate about whether or not he should be on a roster. (RELATED: David Hookstead Is The True King In The North When It Comes To College Football) Well, Sherman thinks the former 49ers QB should be on a team.   View this post on Instagram   A post shared by colin kaepernick (@kaepernick7) on Nov 25, 2019 at 12:13pm PST “I can want him to have a job, and I can think he deserves a job as much as anybody and everybody’s said it who said anything, because he’s a good player and he showed he can play in this league. He can play at the highest level, so he deserves a...
    Before the first pick was made, Major League Baseball delivered a message: The sport stands fully behind the Black Lives Matter movement. At the outset of the amateur draft broadcast Wednesday night, Commissioner Rob Manfred said “this moment is a call to action” and baseball “can do more as an institution” to combat systemic racism and inequality. Executives from all 30 teams working remotely held up signs that read: “Black Lives Matter. United For Change.” CLICK HERE FOR MORE SPORTS COVERAGE ON FOXNEWS.COM The baseball operations officials were joined by MLB and club owners in announcing donations to several organizations that support and fight for racial justice, including the NAACP Legal Defense and Education Fund; Equal Justice Initiative; Color Of Change; Campaign Zero; and the Jackie Robinson Foundation. “While we compete with each other on a daily basis,” New York Mets general manager Brodie Van Wagenen said on a Zoom call, “this was a...
    Two months into her first term as a member of Congress, Florida Democrat and former police chief Rep. Val Demings was asked on national television whether “all lives matter.” “When we hire law enforcement to do the job, we need to let them do their job, sit back, and not let, when a group of society feels like they’re being mistreated, let them go in there and tear up a city or town,” declared Randy, a Virginia Democrat who called in to Demings’ inaugural appearance on C-SPAN’s Washington Journal with more of a comment than a question. “Because once you do that, you’ll have no control. So what I’m saying is, all lives matter, not just certain lives—everybody matters.”  Demings, who served as chief of the Orlando Police Department between 2007 and 2011 before entering politics, kept a calm expression before responding that in her decades on the force, she’d...
    Don’t let fear beget more fear Over the past several days, some residents in the Twin Cities have been receiving threatening letters demanding them to remove their Black Lives Matters signs or their homes will be “torched.” In response, some of my own white neighbors have taken down their BLM signs for fear of becoming a target. I’m not taking my Black Lives Matter sign down. It’s been up ever since Philando Castile lost his life at the hands of the police, and it’s staying up now. Taking down the sign is a privilege. Just as black and brown people will always be black and brown, allies should always show their support, not just when it is safe or convenient. I know parents are worried. We don’t want our kids to be harmed for the sake of “politics.” But, let’s be clear: every black mother and every black father...
    BERKELEY, Calif. (KGO) -- Berkeley city council voted last night to permanently prohibit police use of tear gas.The idea grew from an original proposal from the mayor to ban tear gas, pepper spray and smoke during the coronavirus pandemic.The police chief weighed in on how that may limit officers, but his answer resulted in immediate shock among some councilmembers.RELATED: San Jose police tighten rules around use of rubber bullets amid protest backlashWhen Councilmember Susan Wengraf asked Chief Andrew Greenwood for alternative tools, the chief replied, "firearms, we can shoot people."Later in the meeting, Chief Andrew Greenwood apologized.It's unclear at this point whether city officials have to meet with the police union to modify their contract and make this a done deal.
    An Anytime Fitness location is under fire for running an "I Can't Breathe" workout routine, just weeks after George Floyd said the same words while a police officer held his knee on his neck for nearly nine minutes. The roughly 35-minute routine, on display at an Anytime Fitness in Wauwatosa, Wisconsin, was accompanied by a silhouette of a man kneeling and the words "I Can't Breathe...And don't you dare lay down," according to a picture of the board that circulated on social media on Wednesday.   A friend took this photo tonight at Anytime Fitness. Unfortunately they aren't staffed this late at night, so they weren't able to find out who made it. Y'all know what to do. ☎️