Thursday, Mar 04, 2021 - 03:43:30
1000 results - (0.004 seconds)

school year:

MIAMI (CBSMiami/AP) – A former high school principal has filed a lawsuit against a central Florida school district over allegations that she was wrongly removed from her job and discriminated against over her “alcohol dependency problem.” In a lawsuit filed Jan. 4 in federal court in Orlando, Mary Williams seeks more than $30,000 in damages, the Orlando Sentinel reported. The lawsuit argues the Seminole County school district discriminated against her because of her disability, which is her alcohol addiction, failed to abide by the federal Family Medical Leave Act and wrongly tried to dictate the treatment Williams would receive. Williams was named principal of the year for Seminole County while at Hagerty High School in 2018. Less than a year later, school district officials informed Williams she would not be rehired for the 2019-2020 school year, the newspaper reported. Boyd Karns, the district’s top human resources administrator, told the newspaper...
    In his annual State of the State address, Gov. Doug Ducey gave some hints about what Arizonans could expect from his administration and the Legislature in 2021. Ducey began his remote speech Monday afternoon by condemning the violence at the U.S. Capitol. “In the United States of America, violence and vandalism have no place in the people’s House," he said. "Perpetrators should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law. Let us resolve that it never happens again.” He struck an optimistic tone about directing resources to increase vaccination capacity. “If last year was the year of the virus, this year will be the year of the vaccine.” The state announced that the State Farm Center would be used as a vaccination center. Ducey said to expect lower taxes in the coming legislative session. “Every year I’ve been governor, we’ve improved income...
    The family of abducted teenager Jayme Closs say she's taking life day-by-day and is finally 'dancing and enjoying school activities' two years after she managed to escape from the man who murdered her parents and held her hostage for 88 days. Her family gave the update on her life on Monday to mark two years since the then-13-year-old made the daring escape from the cabin in northwest Wisconsin where she had been held by her abductor Jake Patterson. In the months after her rescue, a traumatized Closs had detailed how she feared going out in public. The teen told Patterson's 2019 sentencing hearing that she used to love dancing, going out with her friends and going to school but her attacker had taken those things away from her.  Jayme Closs' family says the now-15-year-old is taking life day-by-day and is finally 'dancing and enjoying school activities' again two years after she managed to...
    (CNN)In attempting to get American life back to "normal" in 2021, one of the first agenda items will be making up for a disrupted, disjointed year of school. The Biden administration's pick for education secretary, Miguel Cardona, will inherit not only the problems associated with a pandemic but the systemic problems American K-12 education had long before. This week I talk to David M. Perry, a journalist and historian, as well as Geoffrey Canada, president of the Harlem Children's Zone, about what comes next for American education. But first, Perry writes our CNN op-ed. -- SE CuppImagine it's August 2021, and the kids are finally able to go back to school without fear of a global pandemic. Parents rejoice. So do teachers. We all give thanks to the medical and logistical experts who rolled out an unprecedented vaccine distribution.But even if we've gotten the danger under control, big questions about...
    TRENTON, N.J. (CBS) — The pandemic has resulted in some changes for the remainder of the school year in New Jersey. Gov. Phil Murphy signed an executive order waiving the graduation assessment test for all high school seniors. It also removes student growth objectives from educator evaluations. “The pandemic has presented significant challenges to school districts across our state that have affected our administrators, educators, staff, and students,” said Murphy. “Today’s executive order will provide sensible adjustments to support our school districts during this unprecedented time.” The order also extends the time in which certified teachers can serve as substitute teachers. MORE FROM CBSPHILLY.COM ‘Best Interests To Part Ways’: Philadelphia Eagles Fire Head Coach Doug Pederson After 5 Seasons ‘Time To Rebuild’: Social Media Reacts After Philadelphia Eagles Fire Head Coach Doug Pederson ‘Love You Coach’: Eagles Players Sound Off After Head Coach Doug Pederson Fired
    LOS ANGELES (CBSLA) — The University of California says they plan to have students return back to its 10 campuses for in-person instruction when the Fall 2021 school year begins. COVID-19 vaccines are being administered now to frontline healthcare workers, and could be available soon to students, staff and faculty, so UC says they are getting ready to welcome students back to its campuses – while still observing virus prevention and safety guidelines. UC President Michael V. Drake, M.D., says he arrived at the decision with the 10 UC chancellors. “Current forecasts give us hope that in the fall our students can enjoy a more normal on-campus experience,” Drake said in a statement. The pandemic upended the college experience and plans for many students. The abrupt move to remote learning made living on campus unnecessary for many students, while prospective students put their plans on hold in the hopes of...
    TWO more people have been arrested after a schoolboy was stabbed to death in East London when he was "chased by a gang like a pack of dogs". Kayjon Lubin, 15, has been named locally as the schoolboy who was stabbed to death in Newham just before 7pm on Friday night. 5Pals paid tribute to the teen online 5Kayjon Lubin has been named locally as the boy who was stabbed to death Police said they arrested a 17-year-old boy and a 28-year-old man on suspicious of murder this morning. He was allegedly chased by a gang like a pack of dogs before he died. Witnesses claimed Kayjon had been stabbed in a park before he sought refuge inside a newsagent just 50 metres from his family home. Staff tried to save him but he died inside the store. A witness said: “A big group of boys that were chasing him,...
    The ‘QAnon Shaman’ is a failed actor who lives with his mom, believes spiral signs are an ‘FBI pedophile code’ and drives a battered Hyundai car plastered with conspiracy slogans, DailyMail.com can disclose. 33-year-old Jacob Angeli Chansley is one of the MAGA rioters wanted by DC police for his part in storming the Capitol building on Wednesday. Photos of Chansley wandering through the Senate debating chamber while dressed in a horned furry hat and with his face painted red and blue went viral. He was part of a Trump supporting mob, that also included Proud Boys and white supremacists, who broke into the building in a bid to stop lawmakers certifying Joe Biden’s election win. The ‘QAnon Shaman’ Jacob Chansley (pictured at the Capitol riot) is a failed actor who lives with his mom, believes spiral signs are an ‘FBI pedophile code’ and drives a battered Hyundai car plastered...
    Bridgertons Regé-Jean Page Reacts to Those James Bond Casting Rumors How to save, invest & earn more in 2021 DOJ concerns prompt NCAAs Mark Emmert to push for voting delay on rules for athlete transfers and name, image, likeness NCAA President Mark Emmert on Saturday said in a letter to the Justice Department’s antitrust division leader that he has “strongly recommended” to association governing groups that they delay votes scheduled for this week on proposed changes to rules regarding athletes’ ability to transfer and to make money from the use of their names, images and likenesses. These $19k SUVs Will Make You Trade in Your Car Ad Microsoft This is a slam dunk if you want a one-card wallet in 2021 Ad Microsoft ...
    Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam said year-round schooling is one of the options on the table to help students who have fallen behind with at-home learning. Northam said discussions are already underway, and if the year-round school is approved, it may start next year. He said state education officials are also looking at the possibility of adding school days to the summer. “Our children have suffered from COVID-19 as have our families,” Northam said Wednesday. As vaccines become more available, giving many hope that the end of the pandemic is coming soon, schools are trying to prepare for the return of students to physical classrooms. One of the concerns educators have is how to help students that struggled during the at-home learning phase. While no set ideas have been decided, Northam said the need for all schools to welcome students back led to the state’s decision to put its 285,000 teachers...
    CHICAGO (CBS) — A former suburban teacher will spend the next four years in prison for sexually assaulting one of his students. Thomas Connelly was a physics teacher at Joliet Central High school. Investigators said Connelly assaulted a girl at a Naperville hotel back in May of 2017. School staffers became aware of Connelly’s relationship with the girl after hearing other students gossiping. Also From CBS Chicago: Brad Rukstales Of Inverness, Arrested At U.S. Capitol Riot, Apologizes And Expresses Embarrassment Hackers Stole $2,000 From Woman’s Account, But Bank Wouldn’t Give Her Refund Until CBS 2 Got Involved Sen. Tammy Duckworth Calls For First-Term Rep. Mary Miller To Resign For Comments About Hitler Being ‘Right On One Thing’
    It's hard to believe it's been a year since Prince Harry and Meghan Markle made their bombshell announcement that they were quitting the Royal Family. Posting on their now defunct Sussex Royal Instagram page, the couple revealed their plans to 'step back as senior members' of the Firm and work to become 'financially independent' while splitting their time between the UK and the US.  It sent shockwaves around the world, and the coining of the term 'Megxit' quickly followed - which became one of Collins Dictionary’s Words of the Year in 2020. Twelve months later and the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, now living in a $14 million mansion in California with their 18-month-old son Archie, have signed lucrative deals with the likes of Neflix and Spotify, and 'don't regret' their decision to go it alone, according to a source. It's hard to believe it's been a year since Prince Harry...
    WARRENVILLE, Ill. -- The Diocese of Joliet announced Thursday it will be forced to close one of its DuPage County schools due to low enrollment and financial challenges.St. Irene Catholic School in Warrenville will close at the end of the 2020-2021 school year, according to a statement from the Diocese of Joliet.The Diocese plans to help parents explore options at nearby Catholic schools and are making arrangements to provide a $500 grant to current St. Irene students who reenroll within the diocesan system.The Diocese of Joliet system serves more than 15,000 students in 44 elementary schools, eight high schools and two preschools across the region. (Source: Sun-Times Media Wire - Copyright Chicago Sun-Times 2021.)
    A teacher in Alabama presented photographs of the insurrection at the U.S. Capitol without commentary and asked students to write poems in reflection. A Minnesota instructor fielded comparisons to the aftermath of George Floyd’s killing. And a civics educator in Connecticut urged her rattled students to work toward making the country better. Social studies teachers nationwide set aside lesson plans this week to help young people make sense of the scenes of the violent siege in Washington by supporters of President Donald Trump. Approaches varied, with some teachers deliberately holding off on historical comparisons with the events so fresh. Many trod cautiously in light of varied political viewpoints in their classrooms and communities. But educators universally described efforts to hear out students’ fears and concerns and instill a sense of history and even hopefulness in a school year shaped by the nation’s reckoning over racial injustice, the coronavirus...
    Scientists warn U.S. isnt doing enough to track Covid strains Trump announces hell skip Joe Bidens inauguration Cincinnati’s Desmond Ridder returning to school, putting Bearcats back in CFP picture Cincinnati quarterback Desmond Ridder will return to school for his senior season, he told Yahoo Sports on Friday, setting the stage for the Bearcats to again position themselves in the College Football Playoff conversation. Ridder will be the winningest quarterback in college football in 2021, as he’s 30-5 as a starter after leading Cincinnati to an American Athletic Conference title, undefeated regular season and bid in the Peach Bowl this season. “One of my main goals when I came to Cincinnati was to leave this place better than when I got here,” Ridder said. “This was obviously a tough decision, but I really have a chance to do that.” Ridder’s decision has a two-fold impact, as he gets a chance...
    The 25 best TV couples of all time 32 of the most expensive celebrity homes of all time Texas High School Sports Awards to recognize state’s top student athletes throughout year © USA TODAY NETWORK Texas High School Sports Awards The Texas High School Sports Awards is a nine-month student athlete recognition program that culminates in a star-studded, on-demand broadcast show, featuring the biggest names in professional sports and the top student athletes. Honorees for 21 state sanctioned sports will be announced throughout the year on the event website at sportsawards.usatoday.com/texas.   During the on-demand broadcast, top professional athletes and sportscasters will present these honorees, along with the top three finalists and the athlete of the year for each sport.   The awards showcase will also feature other premier awards for both on and off-field accomplishments of student athletes, coaches and teams, including awards for a scholar athlete of the year,...
    Capitol Police officer Brian Sicknick dies from injuries in pro-Trump riot: What we know Federal murder probe opened into Capitol Police officers death South Carolina High School Sports Awards to recognize state’s top student athletes throughout year © USA TODAY NETWORK South Carolina High School Sports Awards The South Carolina High School Sports Awards is a nine-month student athlete recognition program that culminates in a star-studded, on-demand broadcast show, featuring the biggest names in professional sports and the top student athletes. The top three finalists and athlete of the year for each sport will be announced July 15 on the official award website.   Visit the website to sign up for updates to keep up with updates and honoree selections throughout the year. Stories about the selections and more program information can also be found online. This program is part of the USA TODAY High School Sports Awards, the largest high...
    Trion High School’s Jason Lanham has been named the Region 6A Athletic Director of the Year. “In this unprecedented difficult sports year due to all the circumstances surrounding Covid-19, it was very encouraging and uplifting to receive this honor. I am extremely blessed to work in a place like Trion, the entire administration from top to bottom is always focused on trying to do what is best for our students in both athletics and the classroom. The bottom line is when you are surrounded by great people, it makes it much easier to do great things. Region 6A has long proud tradition of being one of the absolute best Class A Regions in the state and I am honored to represent it as AD of the year,” Lanham told AllOnGeorgia. Lanham said, “high school athletics serve a great purpose to...
    A teacher with the Long Beach Unified School District was arrested after being accused of having a sexual relationship with a 15-year-old girl, according to the Buena Park Police Department. John William Gunde, 46, was arrested Dec. 30 on suspicion of unlawful sexual intercourse with a minor, Sgt. Mario Escamilla said. Gunde is a social studies teacher at Juan Rodriguez Cabrillo High School, authorities said. He was placed on paid administrative leave, said Chris Eftychiou, a spokesman for the school district. On Dec. 13, Buena Park police said, they received information about a man having a sexual relationship with a 15-year-old girl. Gunde allegedly began corresponding with the victim on an online messaging platform and met with the victim where a sexual relationship ensued from October to December 2020, police said. Police asked that anyone with information about the case call them at 714-562-3901; tips can be anonymously reported to...
    I AM not a “fun mum”. I am definitely not the mum who spends endless hours doing arts and crafts with my kids. I struggle to have them in my kitchen because of the mess they make but I can — on occasion — be roped into playing the card game Uno. ⚠️ Read our coronavirus live blog for the latest news & updates 8I don’t understand why they don’t vaccinate teachers. I’d happily forego my vaccine for a teacher just so we can get the kids back.Credit: Rex Features I’ve carved out my place in their lives as the one who cooks, nurtures, soothes, empathises, and shares their mistakes, vulnerability and honesty. And yet, now, a week into the new year and a new national lockdown, I find myself deeply worried about their mental health. And the mental health of all the children out there unable to go...
    A longtime educator in Northern Westchester announced she will be stepping down at the end of the year after a four-decade career in education. Pleasantville Union Free School District Superintendent Mary Fox-Alter announced this week that she will be retiring at the end of the calendar year in December following a 40-year career, 31 of which were spent with the district. In announcing her “bittersweet” decision to retire, Fox-Alter turned to William Shakespeare’s Merry Wives of Windsor for a quote. ‘“It is better to retire a minute too early than a second too late,’” she said. “The district is academically and fiscally strong and ready for the next chapter; I'm excited to see what those next pages will reveal.  “Personally, I am ready for the next challenge, the next road and I'm certainly looking forward to spending more time with my wonderful husband, our son, and our families.” Fox-Alter worked...
    (CNN)A high school has switched fully to virtual learning after a group of Massachusetts students held a New Year's Eve party and one person in attendance later tested positive for Covid-19, officials said.Students at Groton-Dunstable Regional High School in Groton will learn remotely until Monday, after officials learned of the gathering, which violated the state's limit on indoor gatherings. One student who attended the event subsequently tested positive to Covid-19, school officials confirmed to CNN. Massachusetts currently limits indoor gatherings to 10 individuals, and though CNN could not confirm how many students were in attendance, officials said there were more than 10.Because officials learned about the party on Sunday evening, Dr. Laura Chesson, superintendent of the Groton-Dunstable Regional School District, said closing the school for the week was the only option, so their team could do the contact tracing necessary to quarantine any students who attended or had close contact...
    Zack Snyder reveals a first look at his zombie heist Netflix movie Army of the Dead A Month-by-Month Guide for Your 2021 Financial Check-Ins Influential Lapchick study gives FBS schools F grade on athletic director gender hires As you watch the College Football Playoff national championship game between Alabama and Ohio State on Jan. 11, one of the most interesting parts won't be what's on the field, but off it. Or, rather, what's missing, and that will be women in key leadership positions. National Championship Preview: How Ohio State can take down Alabama USA TODAY SPORTS See more videos SHARE SHARE TWEET SHARE EMAIL What to watch next Which NFL team is the best fit for Eric Bieniemy? USA TODAY SPORTS What will Tokyo Olympics look like? USA TODAY SPORTS Examining Washingtons history of failed quarterbacks USA TODAY SPORTS Rose Bowl preview:...
    Mark Fader, the head of the Williams School said the school then followed protocols and provided a roster of Williams employees to the Vaccine Administration Management System A top Connecticut private school was given COVID-19 vaccines weeks ahead of time after officials said they were mistakenly put on the CDC's critical infrastructure list.   The Williams School in New London, where fees are $30,000 a year, was wrongly classified by the state as eligible for the first round of vaccine doses. That meant 11 employees received the jab meant only for health care workers and those in nursing homes. A source with knowledge of the school told DailyMail.com: 'It's not surprising to be honest.'  Stephen Mansfield, Ledge Light’s director of health, told The Day of New London: 'The breakdown occurred where someone entered individuals into the system who weren’t eligible. 'It was an honest mistake. (The school) was very apologetic. We do our best to communicate...
    Sandra Lee reveals she started a cleanse after gaining 30LBS in 2020 Cuomo: New COVID strain is highly problematic Kentucky High School Sports Awards to recognize state’s top student athletes throughout year © USA TODAY NETWORK Kentucky High School Sports Awards Ky. -- November 18, 2020 – The Kentucky High School Sports Awards is a nine-month student athlete recognition program that culminates in a star-studded, on-demand broadcast show, featuring the biggest names in professional sports and the top student athletes. The top three finalists and athlete of the year for each sport will be announced July 15 on the official award website.   Visit the website to sign up for updates to keep up with updates and honoree selections throughout the year. Stories about the selections and more program information can also be found online. This program is part of the USA TODAY High School Sports Awards, the largest high school...
    A 17-year-old Kentucky high school student produced a documentary about her battle with cancer after being diagnosed in 2020. Ballard High School junior Jillian Hebermehl was diagnosed with non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma just a few months into the pandemic, reported local Louisville outlet WMUR-TV. She had studied journalism and reportedly decided to use her skills to produce the documentary while being treated at Norton Children’s Hospital. “I wanted to show what it’s like as a teenager to have cancer and how my life has been changed,” Hebermehl told the outlet. “I was really open with things like losing my hair, my friends being there for me, my family, all my supporters.” The documentary, titled “Cancer Journey Through A Teenage Lens,” takes viewers through the experience of losing her hair and the painful side effects of chemotherapy. “It was pretty hard doing school while at the hospital getting pumped full of chemo...
    Alison Arngrim admits it was “weird” playing mean girl Nellie Oleson on “Little House on the Prairie.” The actress, who came from a showbiz family and landed the gig around age 12, told Page Six that her fans couldn’t always remember she wasn’t actually the character she played on TV. “I’d been working since I was 6 so I did have some grasp on that whole fantasy versus reality thing, though not everyone else did — which resulted in me getting things thrown at me during a Christmas parade,” she said. “I thought at least I’m a doing a good job, I guess.” The 58-year-old credits going to public school for helping her maintain an even outlook. “I stayed enrolled in public school and that way I kept a bunch of friends, people I’d known since the third grade. I had this group of people that I did...
    Alison Arngrim admits it was “weird” playing mean girl Nellie Oleson on “Little House on the Prairie.” The actress, who came from a showbiz family and landed the gig around age 12, told Page Six that her fans couldn’t always remember she wasn’t actually the character she played on TV. see also Timothy Busfield says wife Melissa Gilbert is like ‘Little House on the Prairie’ character during quarantine “Here’s the hard part about quarantining....it’s how to keep the... “I’d been working since I was 6 so I did have some grasp on that whole fantasy versus reality thing, though not everyone else did — which resulted in me getting things thrown at me during a Christmas parade,” she said. “I thought at least I’m a doing a good job, I guess.” The 58-year-old credits going to public school for helping her maintain an even outlook. “I stayed...
    A former librarian at a Washington DC school has been charged with repeatedly having sex with a student beginning when he was just 14 years old more than a decade ago.  Joan Meyer, 45, was arrested in Warrensville Heights, Ohio, on Friday on a charge of first-degree child sexual abuse stemming an inappropriate relationship with a male student that lasted five years, according to police.    Police said the sexual abuse took place between 2009-2014 while Meyer, then in her mid-30s, worked as a librarian at Two Rivers public Charter School in Northeast DC. Joan Meyer, 45, has been charged with first-degree child sexual abuse for allegedly carrying on a five-year relationship with her student at Two Rivers Charter School in Washington DC (pictured), beginning in 2009 when he was just 14 years old According to an affidavit, the alleged misconduct came to light in June of 2019, when the alleged...
    By MEG KINNARD, Associated Press COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) — The superintendent of South Carolina's public schools said Monday that she had tested positive for COVID-19, was experiencing “mild symptoms" but would continue to do her work from home. In a tweet, Molly Spearman said that she learned on Sunday she had tested positive for the virus on Dec. 31 and “is fortunate to have only mild symptoms.” Spearman said she had already been quarantining after her husband and son tested positive earlier last week. While isolating, Spearman said, “I plan to continue to work from home and meet virtually as so many others in the education community have done this school year.” A spokesman for the Education Department said Monday that Spearman was primarily experiencing fatigue and had participated in several virtual meetings during the day. Spearman, 66, has been chief of South Carolina's public school system since 2015. News...
    Expanded summer school for K-12 students may be one positive outcome of the pandemic that has otherwise contributed to varying levels of learning loss among students across the state. Without providing details, Gov. Gavin Newsom indicated that he will be including funds in the budget he will present to the Legislature in January that might allow schools to effectively extend the school year into the summer, as a crucial way to help make up for the learning loss that many students have suffered during the pandemic. “We’re going to be creative to look more broadly outside the previous constructs, this mantra or mindset that goes back to an agrarian society that no longer exists, that has the presumption that 99 percent of us will be toiling the fields come this summer,” he said during his briefing on his plan to encourage more schools to offer in-person instruction. He said he...
    London (CNN)The coronavirus pandemic transformed the working and social lives of millions of European adults in 2020. Children too have suffered immensely, with months of confinement only giving way to some sense of normality when schools in most countries reopened in the summer and autumn.Now even that is under threat. Students in the UK were due to return from the Christmas break on Monday. But less than a week ago, the government announced the return to school would be delayed by two weeks for almost all high schoolers and some primary (elementary) school children. Learning will move online. On Sunday, Prime Minister Boris Johnson conceded schools may need to close indefinitely.In Germany, schools switched back to remote learning in mid-December as infection numbers soared, with a decision on the way forward due on Monday. And in Ireland and Spain, teachers' unions and some local leaders are calling on federal governments...
    By BROOKE SCHULTZ, Delaware State News DOVER, Del. (AP) — Phased-in hybrid learning, swift temporary moves to remote classes, new technology — the academic year thus far has had its fair share of obstacles for students and educators as they work their way through the coronavirus pandemic. “I mean, with anything, you’ll definitely have trials,” said Shaneeda Shaw-Hicks, a certified nursing assistant teacher at Dover High School. Her school has been remote since last spring. “I think that a lot of students are working. I think they’re working hard. We do have some students that definitely would benefit from in-person learning,” she said. “However, at this time, it’s about safety and making sure that we make the best decisions for everybody involved.” Many schools have moved back to — or remained — remote heading into the holiday season, following Gov. John Carney’s recommendation to pause hybrid learning from Dec. 14...
    It’s been a year of deep losses at St. Joseph Elementary School in La Puente. Thirty students, or about 16% of the student body, did not show up in the fall, costing the school tens of thousands of dollars in tuition. Four employees were laid off. One of the school’s fundraising pillars, the annual jog-a-thon, was cancelled due to coronavirus restrictions. “Finances are tight, but we’re doing our best and are proud our community has not turned its back on us,” St. Joseph Principal Luis Hayes said. “We believe better days are ahead.” Hayes has been hoping that the school’s partial reopening under a county-approved waiver will prompt families to return. By late December only three had re-enrolled. St. Joseph’s circumstances are emblematic of the plunging enrollment and hobbled fundraising that threaten the future of many schools in the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Los Angeles, one of the...
    MARION, Ala. (AP) — Alabama's only all-women’s college will remain open after meeting a fundraising goal. The Judson College Board of Trustees on Thursday approved moving forward with a residential spring semester for all returning students, the college announced in a news release. The college in Marion, Alabama had announced in December that it needed a cash infusion to remain open this spring. Judson College was aiming for $500,000 by the end of the year and and $1 million in unrestricted commitments of gifts between Jan. 1 and May 31. School officials said it met the $500,000 cash goal, and the combined giving and commitment total is at $1.3 million. “Judson is grateful for God’s great provision through the generosity of our alumnae and supporters, who have sacrificed much during these uncertain times to continue the extraordinary 182-year-old legacy of our Judson College. We remain thankful to our dedicated Board...
    Last March, all of Minnesota’s public schools pivoted to remote learning to finish out the school year. Gov. Tim Walz passed an executive order directing this unprecedented move as part of the state’s early response to COVID-19.  At that point, many were still holding out hope that a full return to in-person instruction might be possible. In late-July, Walz announced that each school district would take the lead on its back-to-school format, while also developing contingency plans.  From that point on, much of the education news cycle has been dominated by school format decisions and the controversies surrounding them — a long list that includes parents overwhelmed by supporting their students during at-home learning, teachers stressed by public health concerns and new teaching formats, and students burdened with pushing forward despite disruptions to their school routine and activities. While many education stories in the year ahead will continue to center on...
    NORTH TEXAS (CBSDFW.COM) — The nasty weather on New Year’s Eve has caused many plans to be adjusted, and that includes a high school football playoff showdown. Lovejoy and Aledo were originally scheduled to play their Class 5A Division II Region Final on New Year’s Eve, but those plans were scrapped with the forecast of cold rain. Instead, Lovejoy and Aledo agreed to move their game to New Year’s Day at Globe Life Park in Arlington. New Year’s Day is typically known as a fixture for college football bowl games, but this year, Texas high school football will ring in 2021 with three outstanding matchups. Red Oak will face Mansfield Summit at 11:00 a.m. Denton Ryan will battle Highland Park at 3:15 p.m. The day will be capped off by the showdown between Lovejoy and Aledo at 7:30 p.m. The Leopards are looking forward to playing their game on the...
    Roses are red, violets are blue, New Year’s celebrations are going virtual too. It’s finally time to kiss 2020 goodbye and ring in 2021. And just as the COVID-19 pandemic will continue in the new year, so too will televised workarounds for major holiday events, such as the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade, “Dick Clark’s New Year’s Rockin’ Eve” and, on Friday, Pasadena’s Tournament of Roses. Instead of the typical 5-mile-plus parade route involving hundreds of volunteers and thousands of spectators, the 2021 Rose Parade will be a smaller, “reimagined New Year’s celebration,” featuring celebrity appearances, musical performances, football highlights and “spectacular floats from years past.” In July, the Pasadena Tournament of Roses Assn. canceled the 2021 parade for the first time in 75 years before converting to a COVID-19-safe alternative. Here’s everything to know about the show. What time is the show, and where can I watch it? Six networks...
    SAULT STE. MARIE, Mich. (AP) — Even as vaccines are being rolled out to battle coronavirus, wordsmiths at Lake Superior State University in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula say they want to kick any trace of it from the English language. “COVID-19” and “social distancing” are thrown in with “we’re all in this together," “in an abundance of caution” and “in these uncertain times” on the school’s light-hearted list of banned words and phrases for 2021. Out of more than 1,450 nominations sent to the school, about 250 words and terms suggested for banishment due to overuse, misuse or uselessness had something to do with the virus. Seven of the 10 selected are connected to the virus, with “COVID-19” leading the way. “Unprecedented,” which was banished back in 2002, has been restored to list. “To be sure, COVID-19 is unprecedented in wreaking havoc and destroying lives,” Banished Words List committee members said...
    SAULT STE. MARIE, Mich. (AP) — Even as vaccines are being rolled out to battle coronavirus, wordsmiths at Lake Superior State University in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula say they want to kick any trace of it from the English language. “COVID-19” and “social distancing” are thrown in with “we’re all in this together,” “in an abundance of caution” and “in these uncertain times” on the school’s light-hearted list of banned words and phrases for 2021. Out of more than 1,450 nominations sent to the school, about 250 words and terms suggested for banishment due to overuse, misuse or uselessness had something to do with the virus. Seven of the 10 selected are connected to the virus, with “COVID-19” leading the way. “Unprecedented,” which was banished back in 2002, has been restored to list. “To be sure, COVID-19 is unprecedented in wreaking havoc and destroying lives,” Banished Words List committee members said...
    CONGRATULATIONS, Gav, you have won – you have officially spoilt the lives of millions of students like me across the UK.    Yesterday was a joyous day for the teaching union barons as they achieved their goal of closing down schools and exacerbating inequality among young people. 8Schools in the worst affected areas will remain closed for an extra two weeks after the Christmas holidaysCredit: PA:Press Association Worst of all, they are still saying that schools should remain shut for longer, whilst complaining about the disparity among students from those who attend private schools and from those who attend comprehensive schools.  Yesterday it was confirmed that MILLIONS of schoolkids in the worst-hit Covid areas will stay home for at least an extra two weeks after the Christmas holidays.  Gavin Williamson was forced to tear up his plans to stagger the reopening of secondaries and colleges, with students now going back...
              The Georgia Department of Education (GDOE) unanimously voted to approve State School Superintendent Richard Woods’ recommendation of a .01 percent course grade weight for Georgia Milestones End-of-Course (EOC) exams for the 2020-21 school year. The exam is a part of state and federal requirement. According to Meghan Frick of the GaDOE Communications Office, it is a federal requirement to take one-time exams – from third grade to senior year – in math, English language arts, science, and social studies. Woods proposed earlier in the year to relax federal requirements for standardized tests due to the pandemic but was denied by U.S. Education Secretary Betsy DeVos. Due to the impact COVID-19, students and teachers had to adapt to the new regulations and procedures to focus on new ways of learning and teaching in a virtual manner; instructed by the state and DOE. “I wish...
    ^ Keep Westword Free Support Us I Support Local Community Journalism Support the independent voice of Denver and help keep the future of Westword free. Support Us While Denny Lake fronted major label acts Atomic Boy and U.S. Crush in the ‘90s, the singer also led Denny and the Way Outs, the new wave band that he started in the early ‘80s as a student at the University of Denver. Lake formed the group after going back to his hometown of Portland during summer break and seeing Billy Rancher, who was at the forefront of the city’s new wave scene. Armed with a broken down Farfisa organ, Lake started penning nonsensical and immature lyrics that were fun and catchy, like “Betty Crocker Is a Punk Rocker,” “She’s So Cool She’s Frozen” and “We’d Be Grateful if You’d Die Grateful Dead.” At the time, Lake was...
    ^ Keep Westword Free Support Us I Support Local Community Journalism Support the independent voice of Denver and help keep the future of Westword free. Support Us Everyone hits an age when the refreshments served at birthday parties change from punch and cookies to booze and more booze. For some of us, that happens in high school. For others, it's college. But then people have children, and the punch and cookies return. Despite being a single shlub with no kids in my future, I still bring Punch and Cookies to the party — Purple Punch and Cookies weed genetics, that is. Outside of the recent Garlic craze and Chemdog resurgence, it's hard to think of two strain families more popular in Denver over the last year than Cookies and Purple Punch. Virtually every child that either cultivar produces becomes a heavyweight contender in potency, couch...
    PORTSMOUTH —While it’s easy to remember 2020 for the year of the coronavirus, spring sports cancellations, and all of the outright uncertainty, there were still several noteworthy team and individual accomplishments by Scioto County student-athletes during this calendar year. Parents, students, coaches and athletic directors alike should be commended for their efforts in ensuring their athletes competed for another year of their high school journeys while doing so safely. Good riddance 2020, hello 2021. Here’s a short recap of our ‘Top 5’ stories on the Scioto County high school sports scene, followed by our list of the remaining ‘Top 10’. 5. New Boston boys basketball wins SOC I The 2019-20 New Boston Tigers did something no other group in program history since 1971 had accomplished — obtaining an outright Southern Ohio Conference Division I championship. On the backs of a 22-point performance by conference player of the year Kyle Sexton,...
    More On: bullying Giant vagina mural incident shows UWS homeless fight getting ugly — and personal New Jersey city to get rid of Facebook page over bullying, mayor says Nike faces backlash in Japan over ad that takes on racism Transgender Pakistanis find solace in church of their own The parents of a bullied 8-year-old Ohio student who died by suicide can move forward with a lawsuit against school officials for wrongful death, a panel ruled. The three-judge panel of the 6th US Circuit Court Appeals said Gabriel Taye’s parents had established Cincinnati Public School officials acted “recklessly” in handling the bullying — and rejected the district’s claim for governmental immunity in the case. In the court ruling Tuesday, Judge Bernice Bouie Donald wrote that the district “ultimately, prevented Taye’s parents from fully understanding Taye’s horrifying experience at Carson Elementary until it was too late.” His parents, Cornelia Reynolds and Benyam...
    A Westchester school district will temporarily be sticking with its remote learning when they turn the calendar from 2020 to 2021. Pelham Schools Superintendent Cheryl Champ said that after discussing the matter at a recent School Board meeting, the district will shift to full remote instruction the week after the Holiday recess - Monday, Jan. 4 through Friday, Jan. 8 Wednesday, Jan. 6 will also be an early dismissal day for all students. 
“Following the Thanksgiving holiday, we saw a clear increase in the number of COVID-19 cases across the country, the region, and our school district,” she said. “Over the past several weeks, we have done our best to minimize the impact on in-person instruction and keep our schools open to our students, however, the number of quarantines has made it increasingly difficult to have sufficient staff for in-person instruction.” Champ said that the decision to stay remote...
    The Alabama man who shot dead an 11-year-old boy and injured his father while turkey hunting in May is now charged with capital murder. Joshua Stewart Burks, 36, was initially charged with reckless manslaughter by the the Jefferson County District Attorney’s office for the death of fifth grader Troy Ellis on May 1. On December 10 a Jefferson County grand jury upgraded the charges against Burks, a middle school teacher and a U.S. Marine Corps veteran, to capital murder of a person under the age of 14. He was booked back into Jefferson County Jail Friday afternoon and released the same evening after posting $60,000 bond. He was previously out on $15,000 bond, according to AL.com. 'We are disappointed the grand jury saw the case differently than the magistrate and the district attorney’s office that originally charged the case as manslaughter,' Burks' lawyer Tommy Spina said.  A grand jury...
    Scientists told Americans to consume less sugar, alcohol. The new dietary guidelines dont reflect that. Americas unprecedented and explosive year in politics Incredible Blanket Puts Humans In A Deep Sleep, Melting Stress & Anxiety Away Ad Microsoft This is a slam dunk if you want a one-card wallet in 2021 Ad Microsoft New Policy For Cars Used Less Than 49 Miles/Day Ad Microsoft Full screen 1/26 SLIDES © Getty Images The 25 most iconic movies about high school High school. It feels like a four-year prison sentence when you're a...
    The parents of an 8-year-old student who died by suicide after being persistently bullied can move forward with a lawsuit against the Cincinnati school district that alleges wrongful death and other charges, a federal appeals panel ruled Tuesday. The three-judge panel of the 6th U.S. Circuit Court Appeals said Gabriel Taye's parents had established "reckless behavior" that prevents school officials from receiving governmental immunity for their handling of the case. This undated file photo provided by Cornelia Reynolds shows her son Gabriel Taye when he was in second grade.  Cornelia Reynolds via AP, File The lawsuit's allegations also charge school officials with intentional and negligent infliction of emotional distress and failure to report child abuse. The lawsuit says Taye was bullied at his elementary school starting in first grade, with the bullying escalating in his third grade year. Other students punched and kicked him in assaults and on Jan. 24,...
    WHEN Annie Howard started dating a lad from back home, she knew he was something special. But the 28-year-old, from Leamington Spa, Warwickshire, was devastated Will Arkle would never get to meet her beloved dad - as he died a year before they reunited. 7Annie Howard was devastated her fiance Will Arkle would never meet her beloved dadCredit: Annie Howard 7But then she found a picture of them holding hands with him when they were fiveCredit: Annie Howard Annie had gone to primary school with Will for a year, in reception from the ages of four to five, before moving to a different school and losing touch. Then one day, when her mum was looking through old photos, she discovered a snap of Will, Annie and her dad all holding hands, when they were just five years old. She tells Fabulous: "Mum was looking through old photos one day, and...
    YONKERS, Westchester County (WABC) -- The first of several wakes is being held Tuesday for the teenage victims in a horrific crash in Westchester County that left five people dead last week.Family and friends gathered at St. Peters-St. Denis' Church on Ludlow Street in Yonkers to remember Brandon Sierra, who was killed when a car fleeing a police stop T-boned the vehicle he was driving with three friends.His cousin, Angel Espinal, said Sierra was humble and always happy.Sierra will be laid to rest Wednesday morning at Mount Hope Cemetery in Greenburgh, followed by a wake from 4 p.m. to 8 p.m. for Tamari Watkins. Anthony Cruz will be honored next week with a noon to 9 p.m. wake Monday, followed by a funeral and burial Tuesday.All the events are being held at the same church."Great polite kids, all of them, I'm really going to miss them all, I'm really going...
    The attorney representing a white college student has accused the University of Tennessee of 'caving in to hysteria' after she was kicked out over a video shared by her black high school classmate showing her using a racial slur when she was 15.  Speaking to Fox News on Monday, Mimi Groves' lawyer Shan Wu said that the school made a 'rush to judgement' after the video of Groves looking into the camera saying ‘I can drive, n*****s’ as she was sitting in traffic went viral. Groves was 15 years old and a high school freshman at the time of making the video in 2016, but it resurfaced this year when her black high school classmate Jimmy Galligan, of Leesburg - who had received the video at the time - posted it publicly.  Groves, a championship-winning cheerleader, was planning to attend the University of Tennessee, Knoxville, whose cheer team were reigning national champions....
            by Kerry McDonald  Students in 40 percent of school districts across the country haven’t been inside a classroom since last spring, and others are now returning to virtual “Zoom school” as coronavirus cases rise. Remote public schooling as a response to school shutdowns has been a disaster for many children, with a record number of F grades issued this academic year. Both parents and kids are fed up with Zoom school, and teachers are frustrated with it as well. The Washington Post ran a headline this month saying we must finally admit that “remote education is a failure.” It’s important to make a distinction here: Remote pandemic public schooling may be a failure, but remote education more generally is flourishing. Many private, online learning providers are seeing their enrollment numbers climb, as parents search for high-quality, virtual education options for their children and teens. Here are three remote education programs that are excelling during the pandemic: My...
    The Tanzanian government was taken to court last month over its ban on pregnant schoolgirls and young mothers attending school. It is one of the few countries in the world that actively enforces such a ban. A year ago this month, another court ordered Sierra Leone to drop its ban. So how have things changed in the West African country? Short presentational grey line Fatu (not her real name) is 13 years old, and four months pregnant. She was the victim of sexual abuse. Until this year, her circumstances would have meant leaving school and very possibly being forced into marriage. Instead, she continues to dream of being a nurse one day. In March, Sierra Leone overturned a ban on pregnant girls and young mothers attending school, three months after the court of the Economic Community of West African states (Ecowas) – the region’s top court – ruled that it...
    A high school student held onto a 2016 video of a young girl saying a racial slur, then posted it online after she had chosen to attend her dream school, the New York Times reported. “I wanted to get her where she would understand the severity of that word,” 18-year-old Jimmy Galligan said. The video quickly circulated across social media platforms and the University of Tennessee, Knoxville, was reportedly barraged with “furious calls” for the institution to revoke its offer to Groves, who had made the university’s champion cheer team. A high school student held onto a 2016 video of a young girl saying a racial slur, then posted it online after she had chosen to attend her dream school, the New York Times reported. “I wanted to get her where she would understand the severity of that word,” 18-year-old Jimmy Galligan told the New York Times....
    DOCTORS have urged Brits not to party with pals on New Year's Eve after hospitals were "wall to wall" with Covid patients on Christmas Day. Hospitals are facing a rise in pressure as the number of coronavirus patients receiving treatment heads towards the April peak. ⚠️ Read our coronavirus live blog for the latest news & updates 9Doctors have urged Brits not to gather for New Year's Eve celebrationsCredit: Reuters 9The number of coronavirus patients in hospital is nearing the April peakCredit: PA:Press Association 9Millions of Brits are already living under strict lockdown measuresCredit: Alamy Live News Public Health England has warned "hospitals are at their most vulnerable" after a record 41,385 cases of the killer bug were confirmed today. Dr Katherine Henderson, the president of the Royal College of Emergency Medicine, described her experience in hospital on Christmas Day as "wall-to-wall Covid" and begged Brits not to gather...
    US coronavirus news: Covid-19 hospitalizations this past week were higher than ever. Now doctors predict another onslaught of patients Best selling Amazon products 2020: Underscored favorites Weird Al Yankovic shares uplifting story about high school crush © Provided by Daily Mail MailOnline logo Weird Al Yankovic has charmed social media users with a truly heartwarming story about how he recently reconnected with his ninth grade crush — and learned that she'd held onto a picture he drew for her for nearly 50 years. The 61-year-old comedic singer shared the sweet story on Facebook last week, recalling the crush he had on a girl who sat in front of him in math class when he was a freshman at Lynwood High School in Southern California. Weird Al described himself as 'painfully shy' at the time, explaining how he awkwardly drew portraits for everyone in the class just so he could give...
    A special-education teacher from Oklahoma has been charged with second-degree rape for allegedly having sex with a 16-year-old student and sending him a nude selfie. Andee Lantz, 26, appeared in Caddo County court last Wednesday to answer to the criminal charge against her. Lantz had been employed as a teacher at Carnegie High School, before resigning in mid-November amid allegations of sexual misconduct. Former special-education teacher Andee Lantz, 26, is pictured in her mugshot, left. Lantz (right) has been charged with second-degree rape targeting a 16-year-old student  Until her resignation in mid-November, Lantz had been employed at Carnegie High School in Oklahoma  According to court documents cited by News9, the case began unfolding on November 16, when Carnegie Schools Superintendent Eric Smith contacted the local police, saying that Lantz was involved in a sexual relationship with a 16-year-old student at the local high school. Smith said the...
    By The Associated Press Detroit News. Dec. 23, 2020. Editorial: Start planning on summer school now The pandemic has wreaked havoc in many aspects of our lives, but one of the greatest disruptions it’s caused is in the realm of education. Children across Michigan have lost months of learning this year, and it’s on our state’s school leaders to help them catch up. That should include some form of robust summer school option for students. As a local control state, it’s largely up to individual school districts to set their schedules and learning plans. More than ever, however, guidance is needed from the Michigan Department of Education, as well as transparent statewide data on how schools are handling the crisis. The reality is that online instruction doesn’t work for many students, especially those coming from low-income families or those with special needs. Mary Grech, chief of staff at the Education...
    ROWLETT, Texas (CBSDFW.COM) – Rowlett Police are confirming Sunday that the victim of a Dec. 19 accidental shooting was 16 -year-old Garland High School football player Christopher Guardado. They say officers responded to a shooting call that evening at 6:44 p.m. and found Guardado with a gunshot wound in the back. So far, the initial investigation had led officers to believe that it was completely accidental. Guardado was taken to Medical City Plano where he spent nearly a week in the ICU before losing his life on Christmas Day. “I have always said that, no one should have to bury their child,” said Jacola Beasley, Guardado’s mother. Guardado, also known as Choo, was a 16-year-old sophomore who played defensive tackle for Garland High School. His mom says football was his passion. Christopher Guardado (Credit: Family Photo) “This kid was playing football before he was old enough to play football. And...
    A Virginia student says he has no regrets about sharing a video online of a white classmate using a racial slur that forced her to withdraw from her dream college.  Jimmy Galligan, of Leesburg, revealed to the New York Times how he had been in history class at Heritage High School last year when he received a text from a friend which included a video of classmate Mimi Groves using a racial epithet. The three-second clip, sent by Groves to a friend on Snapchat in 2016, showed the then-15-year-old freshman looking into the camera saying ‘I can drive, n*****s’ as she was sitting in traffic. Galligan said he had flagged the clip to teachers and administrators but his complaints reportedly yielded no response. Frustrated and angry, Galligan said he decided to hold onto the video until he thought it was the right time to post it publicly. ‘I wanted to...
    By CLAIRE MITZEL, The Roanoke Times ROCKY MOUNT, Va. (AP) — At first glance, Anthony Swann’s fifth grade classroom is no different from any other. Students sit at their laptops on a recent December morning, completing reading assignments as the Rocky Mount Elementary teacher walks around the room answering questions. A white Christmas tree gives the room a festive feel, and books line the nearby shelf. Student-made art hangs along the back wall. But take a closer look — and listen — and you’ll start to notice more. The art? Those are cards congratulating Swann for being named the 2021 Virginia Teacher of the Year. He’s the first Franklin County teacher since 1990 to win the statewide award. Framed stories about his county and regional wins hang elsewhere in the room. The tree? Presents sit underneath, waiting to be opened by students later that day. Every year, Swann asks his...
    Meghan Trainor purchases $6.6M Encino mansion Cities where people are struggling the most financially Williams: Phone interviews and high-school golf were sanity-saving in a year of contingency plans Covering golf, at every level and on every tour, in 2020 was unlike anything our writers have experienced. Through the end of the year, our staff is looking back on what will forever stand out from the season of COVID – a season during which every aspect of the game we love was impacted by a global pandemic. Read the whole series here. © Provided by Golfweek Golfweek Caledonia Amateur I’ve spent eight months asking some version of the same question, and that’s the best way I know to sum up golf journalism in the year of COVID. Everyone has a story as we will ourselves toward 2021. For the most part, we all learned to adapt. How did you go on...
    Meghan Trainor purchases $6.6M Encino mansion Cities where people are struggling the most financially Williams: Phoners and high-school golf were sanity-saving in a year of contingency plans Covering golf, at every level and on every tour, in 2020 was unlike anything our writers have experienced. Through the end of the year, our staff is looking back on what will forever stand out from the season of COVID – a season during which every aspect of the game we love was impacted by a global pandemic. Read the whole series here. © Provided by Golfweek Golfweek Caledonia Amateur I’ve spent eight months asking some version of the same question, and that’s the best way I know to sum up golf journalism in the year of COVID. Everyone has a story as we will ourselves toward 2021. For the most part, we all learned to adapt. How did you go on despite...
    Brooklyn mom Lily Hom raised three sons to share her passion for math — and they excel at it.  All three are also professional models and actors. So son Tavian, a fifth-grader who hoped to get into the city’s Mark Twain Intermediate School for the Gifted & Talented, had two of the school’s required talents: math and drama. But now, under new admission policies announced by Mayor de Blasio, Tavian, 10, will not be admitted to the high-performing Coney Island school unless he’s picked in a random lottery. His mom is “dumbfounded and disheartened,” she told The Post. “It’s strictly luck. It’s no longer based on talent,” said Hom, who has degrees in economics and math from NYU. She has nurtured her sons’ love of math and made learning it a focal point of their family life. “In my mind, this upcoming year will be a sham,” she said of...
    By ISABELLE ALTMAN, The Dispatch COLUMBUS, Miss. (AP) — One day last school year, Alison Alexander got a text that reminded her of why she loves teaching. Mississippi School for Mathematics and Science, where Alexander is math teacher and distance learning coordinator, had hosted students from Choctaw Tribal Schools on that particular day. For the last two years, Alexander had been putting together online Algebra and Geometry classes so the Choctaw students, starting in eighth grade, could take upper level math classes virtually and hopefully get a step up in their learning. While Alexander had visited the students’ home schools in the past, this was the first time they had visited MSMS. “After they left, ... (the Choctaw Tribal Schools curriculum coordinator) sent me a text message and said that one of the students had said that he was so excited to see his ‘other school,‘” Alexander said. “So that’s...
    By CARL BLANKENSHIP, Salisbury Post SALISBURY, N.C. (AP) — Sally Schultz did not have the best experience in school. A few teachers reached her, but she was a quiet kid. While she was well-behaved and got decent grades, Schultz says today that she often felt overlooked at school. “I was the type of learner that, if it was not hands on, I did not learn well,” Schultz said. “School did not come easy to me.” In middle and high school, Schultz says she felt she was not learning well while sitting and taking notes in most of her classes. Schultz said it was a difficult transition for her into college because her teachers did not realize she was not grasping the material. But she enjoyed school because of her friends and sports. So the social aspect worked. But academics didn’t, and she did not feel comfortable asking for help. However,...
    He’s barely old enough to vote, but says he’s ready to be elected.  Seth Breland, an 18-year-old Democrat from Fresh Meadows, hopes to replace City Councilman Barry Grodenchik in Northeastern Queens when he steps down at the end of next year. If he is able to get on the ballot in November 2021 and win, Breland would be the youngest elected official in the city’s history. Former Bronx Councilman Joel Rivera, elected in 2001 at age 22, currently holds that title.  Breland, a graduate of World Journalism Preparatory High School in Flushing, who is now studying political science at Long Island University Post campus, says his age is a benefit on the campaign trail — if not for the publicity alone.  “I realize the age can be a limitation, but at the same time … it can be an advantage if I play it right,” he said. “My age...
    It’s been almost 22 years since Charlene Lunnon, now 32, was snatched off the street by a paedophile on her way to school. Now a mother to two young girls, she reflects on how that horrific experience changed her life forever. 4Charlene Lunnon, pictured with her daughters, was snatched by a paedophile on her way to school 22 years ago — she reflects on how that horrific experience changed her life foreverCredit: Adam Bronkhorst As told to Eimear O’Hagan. Watching my daughters open their Christmas presents, I felt my heart fill with love. They were so innocent – as I had once been.  At eight, Lailah is two years younger than I was when I was abducted by a paedophile in 1999, along with my school friend Lisa Hoodless, and repeatedly raped and threatened with death. All my daughters know is love and security, but my abduction showed me a...
    More On: bill de blasio State pol: NYC school admissions changes require more scrutiny Schools can do remote learning — my charter-school kids benefiting from it Staggering number of DOE schools closed due to COVID cases De Blazzz: Mayor’s big pandemic takeaway is the value of sleep With a budget time bomb ticking down, Mayor de Blasio has finally ordered city agencies to think about finding some savings — too little, too late. The mayor at last admits that Washington most likely won’t be coming to his rescue as the city faces a $3.8 billion deficit next year, so he’s ordered his minions to draw up plans to cut spending 1 percent over the next six months and to propose added cuts of 2.5 percent in the next fiscal year. Meanwhile, some cuts are too much: With shootings and murder up across the city, City Hall has told...
    By EMILY WAGSTER PETTUS, Associated Press JACKSON, Miss. (AP) — Many children using special-needs vouchers in Mississippi the past two years came from metro areas where more private or parochial schools are available than in rural areas. The vouchers — also called education scholarship accounts — give public money to students to seek classes or tutoring someplace other than their local public school. A student must have a special-education plan within five years of applying for the voucher program. A report released Monday by a legislative watchdog group shows that for the past two school years, the five districts with the largest number of students departing because of the vouchers were in Madison County, Rankin County, DeSoto County, the city of Jackson and Lamar County. During the 2018-19 school year, Mississippi had 141 school districts, and students who received vouchers left 59 districts. The report said that 47% of all...
    The specialized high school admissions exam is safe from sweeping changes — at least for now, the state Senate’s Big Apple education committee boss told The Post this week. City Hall announced revamped admissions policies last week that scrapped academic screens for middle school kids next year to address the impact of the coronavirus, especially to low-income kids. But state Sen. John Liu (D-Queens) said that Mayor Bill de Blasio will not have the political leverage to rapidly usher in any lasting education policy changes in the final year of his tenure. “This administration will not be in a position to make any longstanding changes without a full public discussion,” he said. “Beyond the one year I don’t think there will be wholesale policy changes without a public discourse.” Liu criticized City Hall for not releasing any information about Gifted and Talented programs during the announcement on middle and high...
    More On: john liu Yet another sign Team de Blasio can’t be bothered to keep schools safe State Sen. John Liu clashes with Richard Carranza over DOE treatment of Asian New Yorkers Cuomo closes FDNY privacy loophole after Post exposé Mom accuses DOE of ‘disrespecting’ Asian-American community The specialized high school admissions exam is safe from sweeping changes — at least for now, the state Senate’s Big Apple education committee boss told The Post this week. City Hall announced revamped admissions policies last week that scrapped academic screens for middle school kids next year to address the impact of the coronavirus, especially to low-income kids. But state Sen. John Liu (D-Queens) said that Mayor Bill de Blasio will not have the political leverage to rapidly usher in any lasting education policy changes in the final year of his tenure. “This administration will not be in a position to...
    A YOUNG man has broken his silence on alleged sexual assault he endured from a high school teacher when he was 16 years old and she was 28. Ryan Crue claims his high school Spanish teacher, Kate Boozer, had sex with him more than 100 times and covered the classroom windows with black construction paper so they would not be discovered, FOX 2 Detroit reported earlier this week.  2Ryan Crue broke his silence and accused his former high school Spanish teacher of sexually assaulting himCredit: Fox 2 News The alleged crime began in 2014 during Crue’s junior year at Lake Orion High School in Michigan.  Crue alleges that his relationship with Boozer—a young, attractive and popular teacher—went from instructor and student to something more.  "It was after school one of the first times that there was any physical interaction that was incredibly inappropriate," Crue said. He said that Boozer gave...
    The number of Alaska students who are homeschooled has nearly doubled since last year, 22 percent having switched to that method as a result of the coronavirus pandemic. According to a report at Must Read Alaska, the number of students in the state now enrolled in homeschooling has climbed from 14,161 to 27,702 since last year. The report noted the new homeschooling families are not simply engaged in remote learning instruction associated with their local school districts but are participating in programs such as IDEA Homeschool, Raven Homeschool, and Calvert Homeschool. In both the cities of Juneau and Anchorage, enrollment in local schools since the pandemic has dropped 11 percent, as parents searched for education options that served their children better than distance learning: The Left is worried that "homeschooling" during the Chinese coronavirus pandemic might gain traction. So… https://t.co/N0R8H1pCZk — Breitbart News (@BreitbartNews) March 31, 2020 More parents in...
    An incredibly generous preschool director spent her nights and weekends driving for Uber in order to earn enough money to buy Christmas presents for all the kids in her school — and their siblings. Renee Dixon, who runs Lynhurst Baptist Church Preschool in Indianapolis, told Good Morning America that almost all of the children enrolled there live below the poverty line, so having their basic needs met — much less getting Christmas presents — is not a guarantee.  So Renee, 47, took up a pair of side jobs this year, first as an Uber driver to earn some extra cash, and then as Santa Claus to deliver gifts to all 50 pre-school students and their brothers and sisters. Above and beyond: A preschool director has spent nights and weekends driving for Uber to earn enough money to buy Christmas presents for all the kids in her school — and their...
    We want to have a meal at these 25 fictional restaurants Need a Last-Minute Gift? 15 Presents You Can Find Around the House Cub Swanson went old school for UFC 256 victory over Daniel Pineda Cub Swanson is not exactly trying to reinvent the wheel. © File photo LAS VEGAS, NEVADA - DECEMBER 12: (L-R) Cub Swanson punches Daniel Pineda in their featherweight bout during the UFC 256 event at UFC APEX on December 12, 2020 in Las Vegas, Nevada. (Photo by Jeff Bottari/Zuffa LLC) The seasoned veteran is taking a step back in order to focus on the things that once made him a UFC championship contender. Swanson (27-11 MMA, 12-7 UFC) feels that in order to move forward at this stage of his career, he needs hold back on learning new things and adding to his game, and instead sharpen the old tools. And that mentality paid off...
    CHICAGO — Chicago Public Schools plans to use federal stimulus dollars to close a budget gap and reopen school buildings in early 2021, school chief Janice Jackson said Tuesday. The school district expects to receive about $800 million from the latest coronavirus relief package, netting an estimated $720 million after it sets aside $80 million for private schools. Jackson said $343 million could be used to close a midyear budget hole, while $375 million will go toward emergency expenses connected to remote learning and reopening this school year and next. The stimulus package is not yet a done deal. It must be signed by President Donald Trump, who criticized the deal Tuesday. The district said it also plans to use the money to address more than $100 million in obligations from its five-year deal with the Chicago Teachers Union — notably salary increases and promises to hire additional nurses, social workers, and case managers. The union won those...
    By: KDKA-TV News Staff PITTSBURGH (KDKA) – It’s the most wonderful time of the year for most of us, but for Santa Claus, it’s the busiest time of the year. That was evident on Wednesday afternoon when he made time to bring Christmas cheer to students of the Baldwin-Whitehall School District. Santa rode around on a school bus and visited neighborhoods throughout the school district. School officials relayed a message from Santa before his trip – don’t gather in crowds due to the pandemic and make sure you’re wearing a mask. “We’re excited to spread some holiday cheer to our students and families,” said Dr. Kara Eckert, the principal of Whitehall Elementary School. “We’ve been remote for a couple of weeks now and we wanted to spend some time saying hello and spreading cheer for all the students.” There was also a cool way the district...
    DUBLIN — Two missing adults were found at a middle school campus, with one pronounced dead at the scene and another taken to a hospital for treatment, authorities said Wednesday. In a statement, police said they received a call around 7 a.m. about two people who had not returned home after carrying out janitorial work at Fallon Middle School, 3601 Kohnen Way. Officers arriving at the school found an associated vehicle parked behind the school, and found the two inside the school’s library after a campus search. When officers realized the two were suffering from medical issues, they provided medical care alongside paramedics and Alameda County Fire Department firefighters, and brought the two outside into a campus courtyard. One person, identified only as a 32-year-old man, was pronounced dead at the scene, while a 29-year-old woman was taken to a hospital for medical treatment, police said. The woman’s condition was...
    Four New York City-area teenagers who recently graduated high school were killed Tuesday when the car they were in was struck by a motoris who was evading police, officials said.  Yonkers residents Brandon Sierra, Randy Brisbane, Tamari Watkins, and Anthony Cruz, all 18, were inside a 2006 Nissan sedan, according to the Yonkers Police Department. Just after 9:20 p.m., authorities tried pulling over the driver of an Infiniti sedan driving in an "erratic manner," police said.  The motorist, who was also killed, was identified as Devon Haywood, a 36-year-old Mount Vernon resident. He appeared to pull over, then accelerated and drove "beyond reckless speeds," said. Haywood had a history of reckless driving, authorities said. As the Nissan packed with teenagers was making a right turn at an intersection, Haywood collided with it, splitting the Nissan in half. All four teens were ejected and died at the scene.  LOS ANGELES-AREA WOMAN SHOT DEAD IN KOHL'S DURING DOMESTIC...
    BOSTON (CBS) — Students across Massachusetts now have more time to get the flu shot so they can go to school next year. Over the summer, state health officials announced all students 6 months and older in child care, pre-school, grades K-12 and college students need to get the shot by Dec. 31. Now, students have until the end of February to get vaccinated for the 2020-2021 school year. New students entering school before March 31 must get a flu vaccine for entry, according to the state. Some parents have protested the new requirement. Health experts have said it’s necessary in order to keep hospitalizations down as coronavirus cases rise during the winter. Exemptions will be made for medical or religious reasons, the state said. Homeschooled students and college students who are completely off campus and only learning remotely are also exempted. Massachusetts is the first state to require the...
    Community colleges -- sometimes seen as a lesser alternative for college students -- can get many students started on a more flexible and less costly path toward a degree. These schools offer an associate’s degree in two years that is transferable to many four-year institutions for a bachelor’s degree. Once called junior colleges, they popped up in the U.S. around the turn of the 1900s. The biggest draw of community colleges is their affordability. While the average tuition at public four-year schools for the 2017-2018 academic school year was $26,261, and $46,014 at private institutions, according to the National Center for Education Statistics, those numbers understate the cost of many private competitive universities. The most expensive four-year universities in the U.S. include Amherst College ($82,008) and Tufts University ($70,000), both in Massachusetts. Third runner-up is Franklin and Marshall College in Pennsylvania ($60,872), according to their websites. And that doesn’t include...
              Secondary students attending Arlington Public Schools (APS) are earning more failing grades during the coronavirus pandemic than in previous years, new data shows, further highlighting the negative impact virtual learning can have on certain students. The data was presented in an internal report released online on Thursday that compared APS middle school and high school student’s quarter one grades from 2020-21 to quarter one grades from 2018-19 and 2019-20. The overall percentage of middle and high school Arlington students earning Es – the division’s version of a traditional F or failing grade – increased by 2.8 and 3.5 percent respectively from the first quarter of 2019-20, according to the report. Also, E grades this year accounted for 4.6 percent of all middle school grades and 8.5 percent of all high school grades, the report said. While detailing the report to members of the...
    SAN FRANCISCO — The head of an Episcopal school that employed a city resident who was recently charged with receiving child porn says that law enforcement reassured him no student victims were involved in the former assistant teacher’s alleged crimes. Marc Nunez is no longer employed at the Cathedral School for Boys in San Francisco, according to the school’s headmaster, Burns Jones, who forwarded this newspaper a statement he sent to parents when school officials became aware of the investigation into Nunez. “Mr. Nunez has worked as an assistant in Kindergarten this year, and he worked part-time in our aftercare program during the past two school years,” Jones wrote. “While, importantly, the charges against Mr. Nunez do not allege any conduct involving our students, I suspect that you share my distress. The conduct alleged, if it occurred, would be a complete betrayal of all that we stand for as a...
    Biden to pick Miguel Cardona, proponent of reopening schools, as education secretary Which states are ending the $300 bonus? When First Grade Ended Abruptly, Junie B. Jones Saved My Daughters School Year Like so many children in the United States, my 6-year-old daughter, Florence, walked out of her first-grade classroom on a mild day in mid-March and never returned. Our public school system announced a two-week shutdown, then closed the schools for the remainder of the academic year. © Getty / Westend61 When First Grade Ended Abruptly, Junie B. Jones Saved My Daughter's School Year When I began to consider how my husband and I might fill the gaps in our daughter's education, I told myself that, if all we did was work on reading and a little math, Florence would likely be fine. I'm a writer and my husband's a mathematician, so we agreed to split our...
    Florida received a year of probation and football coach Dan Mullen was sanctioned Tuesday after the school and the NCAA agreed to resolve an infractions case involving impermissible contact with recruits last year. None of the infractions was deemed Level I, the most serious, but the NCAA said the head coach did not promote an atmosphere of compliance. It did not name Mullen, who has been Florida's coach since 2018. CLICK HERE FOR MORE SPORTS COVERAGE ON FOXNEWS.COM Many of the penalties, including reduced evaluation days and number of permissible phones calls to recruits, were implemented earlier this year. "There is no evidence of systemic compliance issues at Florida, but when isolated circumstances occur they are addressed head on and we accept responsibility for our actions, as evidenced by this instance," athletic director Scott Stricklin said. "It is important for our coaches and staff to remain diligent and take responsibility...
    Floyd County Schools Pre-K Applications for 2021-2022 School Year Opening Soon! Application Process Pre-K Applications will be available at primary and elementary schools with Pre-K classrooms and on the school district website homepage beginning Monday, January 25, 2021. To participate in the lottery drawing for Pre-K, applications must be returned to the school by Friday, February 5, 2021 at 3 p.m. To participate in the lottery drawing, the child must have a completed application and proof of residency. Proof of residency is a copy of the power, water, or gas bill in the parent/guardian’s name. Children may only apply at ONE school. When will parents find out if the child has a spot? Families will be notified by mail of the results of the lottery drawing in late March. Late Applications Late applications will be accepted after Friday, February 5....
    Loading the player... Darrion Cockrell, who wasn’t much of a student, has been named Missouri’s 2020 Teacher of the Year.  The former gang member, 34, who now teaches physical education at Crestwood Elementary in the greater St. Louis area, told Good Morning America he didn’t care much about school as a child because of his difficult upbringing.  Darrion Cockrell, the St. Louis-raised Missouri Teacher of the Year, grew up living with relatives and sometimes in foster care centers. It was his teachers, he said, who gave him real hope and a chance to thrive. The St. Louis-raised Cockrell grew up living with relatives and sometimes in foster care centers. However, he said, it was his teachers who gave him real hope and a chance to thrive.  “My counselor and principal and a few teachers actually went to court and fought for me to stay,” he told GMA about a time when...
    Sima Bella, an 8th grader at an English college, hosted a party in the boys’ room at the school. The student organized a disco during the lunch break. According to the mother of a 12-year-old schoolboy on her side Facebook, She received a phone call from the school stating that her son had given an advance rave in the school restroom of St. Anthony Catholic College during the December 11 lunch break. From the world of music Andre Antoine – Blogger-Musician Who Wins Network With His Metal Cards On Politicians: Video The young DJ did it all himself: a week before the event, he invited eighth graders to a party via Snapshot. Seven secretly brought to the bathroom DJ equipment and his disco – soda and chocolate bars treats visitors. However, the rave did not last long – half an hour, until it was discovered by the authors....
    By DENISE LAVOIE, Associated Press RICHMOND, Va. (AP) — Frank Pichel’s Christmas trees will probably never be chosen to light up New York’s Rockefeller Center. They look more like the droopy, pitiful tree made famous in the 1965 children's animated classic, “A Charlie Brown Christmas.” But Pichel and his customers don’t seem to mind in a year when little seems normal. His trees have been flying off a tiny neighborhood lot since he started selling them last month to raise money for a private middle school that provides scholarships for students from an impoverished area of Richmond. Customer Camm Tyler, a 36-year-old digital consultant, looked over his uneven tree as he propped it up against a fence and prepared to carry it home. “This is the perfect 2020 tree,” he said. Anna Julia Cooper Episcopal School in Richmond’s East End was started in 2009 by a group of local Episcopal...
    An analysis done by the Associated Press and Chalkbeat of 33 states has found that school attendance this fall dropped by 2 percent or about 500,000 students amid the coronavirus pandemic. The report found that the pandemic has had a devastating effect on education in the U.S. as students and educators have had to find new ways to conduct lessons. The drop in school attendance is expected to rise as the remaining 17 U.S. states make their attendance numbers known. The analysis by the AP and Chalkbeat found that kindergarten enrollment accounted for 30 percent of the total reduction across the states they observed. Kindergarten is not required in many states, leading some parents to not send their children.  Enrollment in the 33 states covered in the report had been increasing by at least half a percentage point per year, underscoring the importance of this year's decline.  Many parents, like Angela Atkins, who the AP...
    KIDS are known to stretch the truth a little and draw from their imagination to conjure up their own version of events - that's a fact. And one mum was shocked to discover her eight-year-old son's very cheeky answer to a school work question after he told his teacher that she was "always drunk". 2The eight-year-old wrote "Mum is drunk" on the letter "M"Credit: FAMILY LOCKDOWN TIPS & IDEAS!/Facebook The Christmas-themed activity had the word "snowman" written in block letters down the page. The children were then asked to use each letter of the word snowman as the start of a sentence. While some included festive references to "wonderful winter" and "nice elfs", the M in snowman is where Kelly Martin first laid eyes on the mishap. On the letter "M", her eight-year-old wrote: "Mum is drunk" 2Kelly Martin was amused by her son's homework...
    Jen Rizzotti, the women’s basketball coach at George Washington, said high school sophomores and juniors should still be OK, even if they don’t play their sport this winter. (Courtesy George Washington University) Courtesy George Washington University Jared Turner is a junior at Gonzaga College High School in D.C. He wonders if college coaches will recruit him if he doesn’t have a basketball season this year. (Courtesy Stephen Turner) ourtesy Stephen Turner (1/2) Share This Gallery: Share on Facebook. Share on Twitter. Share via email. Print. When the pandemic pushed schools online last March, it also put many high school sports careers on hold. While some Amateur Athletic Union (AAU) and travel teams for high school-age athletes held practices and games over the summer, most school teams — even deep into the fall semester — have been on an extended break. Public schools in Virginia recently started...