Saturday, Mar 06, 2021 - 06:36:58
847 results - (0.002 seconds)

that America:

The line to pay final respects for fallen St. Louis police CPT David Dorn stretched for two city blocks. Dorn was killed trying to protect a friend’s pawn shop as rioters descended on the city, looting stores and throwing projectiles at police officers, in the wake of the death of George Floyd. (RELATED: Here’s A Closer Look At David Dorn, Retired Police Captain Killed Defending A Store From Looting In St Louis) WATCH: Astounding: The show of public support for fallen officer David Dorn, who was killed last week while protecting a small business from looters pic.twitter.com/OXHt4nkyMq — Daily Caller (@DailyCaller) June 9, 2020 Dozens of current and former police officers — some who served alongside Dorn for decades and others who only knew his legacy — stood in the 90-degree heat for hours in order to offer their condolences to the 38-year veteran’s family. (RELATED: ‘It’s Like A...
    Last night I was sitting in my living room and a convoy of trucks drove by my home filled with law enforcement and National Guard troops. I am a 59-year old African-American man and this brought back vivid childhood memories. On April 4, 1968, 18 days before my seventh birthday, I was in the middle of the street in my hometown, Detroit, Michigan playing urban baseball with my friends, using a hubcap as home plate, and neighbors’ cars as first, second, and third base. That evening I heard my mother and grandmother scream: “They killed him! They killed him! They killed Martin Luther King, Jr.! They killed my Martin!” READ MORE: Dr. Bernice King Jr.’s daughter slams Comcast over attack on civil rights law I had never witnessed my mother and grandmother in such emotional pain before. Moments later, I turned my head and immediately noticed National...
    Emmanuel Acho recently had a talk with Matthew McConaughey about race in America. Race in the USA has been a focal point for the past couple weeks following the death of George Floyd in Minnesota, and the aftermath. Riots and peaceful protests spread across the USA, and kneeling during the national anthem is once again a huge topic of debate. (RELATED: David Hookstead Is The True King In The North When It Comes To College Football) Multiple fires raging outside the White House#GeorgeFloydProtestspic.twitter.com/t1w0Rxg7Yi — Daily Caller (@DailyCaller) June 1, 2020 The Hollywood superstar sat down for a Tuesday video with Acho, and it was absolutely fascinating. Unsurprisingly, McConaughey and the ESPN star were able to have a conversation that wasn’t confrontational at all, and actually pretty engaging. You can watch their incredibly civil discussion below. Matthew @McConaughey sits down to have an Uncomfortable Conversation with a Black Man. Enjoy & share https://t.co/1axueAFIyu —...
    Before we declare the riots of 2020 the worst in U.S. history, we should look at the nationwide riots of 1968 that followed the wanton murder of Martin Luther King Jr. at a Memphis, Tenn., motel. Over 100 cities exploded, led by Washington, D.C., Chicago, Baltimore and Kansas City, resulting in more than 40 deaths, the arrest of 15,000 mostly black Americans, and damages in the tens of millions of dollars. Washington was the epicenter of the looting and violence. Thirteen people died in D.C., all but one black. Some 1,200 buildings were burned, including 900 stores, many of them black-owned and operated. The once-thriving U Street corridor did not recover economically until the opening of a Metro station in 1991, 23 years later. KAY COLES JAMES: GEORGE FLOYD'S KILLING – END RACISM THAT AFFLICTS AMERICA'S SOUL LIKE A CANCER An overwhelmed D.C. police turned to the National Guard and the U.S. military...
    AMC has lost a staggering amount of money during the coronavirus pandemic. According to The Hollywood Reporter, the company revealed during a Tuesday earnings call that it lost $2.17 billion during the last quarter. (EARLY REVIEW: ‘Yellowstone‘ Season Three Starts Incredibly Strong) Movies theaters across America have been shut ever since the coronavirus pandemic swept across America back in March. The popular movie theater chain is hoping to be open by July and expects to be showing screenings of “Tenet” by July 17, according to the same report. It’s truly mind-boggling the amount of damage coronavirus has done on the entertainment industry. While a lot of industries have been hit hard, the entertainment industry has been decimated over the past few months. Movies stopped getting released, cameras stopped rolling on sets and movie theaters across the country shut their doors. It’s been nothing short of a disaster on every...
    America loves a posse. Western movies are populated with lawmen deputizing regular Joes. There’s something stirring about citizens stepping up in times of need to serve and protect the community. But paramilitaries are also red flags.  The posse has left the screen and entered America under this administration. Inspiring, coddling and stoking extrajudicial forces is a harbinger of authoritarianism. What happened and continues to happen in Venezuela is a timely lesson now. A script that includes vigilante groups warns of the all-too-familiar descent into dictatorship.  I executive produced Tupamaro: Urban Guerillas to document Venezuela’s slide into autocracy. The parallels to the assault on democracy by the GOP are unmistakable. Over two decades ago, Hugo Chavez rose to lead a populist government, aided by colectivos, a loose paramilitary confederation. As a progressive activist, I initially believed in Chavez’s Bolivarian Revolution. He redistributed Venezuela’s vast oil wealth from the largest reserves in...
    “What matters now? What matters next? What do we want? What are our demands? Where do we go from here?” These questions from Oprah Winfrey introduced OWN Spotlight: Where Do We Go From Here?, the unprecedented two-night town hall event that premiered Tuesday on OWN and across Discovery’s 18 other U.S. networks. Airing the same night as the funeral for George Floyd, the Minneapolis black man whose death at the hands of a white police officer has sparked global protests, part one launched Winfrey’s conversation with black thought leaders and activists including director Ava DuVernay and Georgia Democrat Stacey Abrams. Together, they discuss systemic racism and the current state of America. NEWSLETTERSThe Daily Beast’s ObsessedEverything we can’t stop loving, hating, and thinking about this week in pop culture.SubscribeBy Clicking "Subscribe" you agree to have read the Terms of Use and Privacy PolicyWinfrey began the special by recalling her 35 years as...
    Tucker Carlson warned at the top of his show Tuesday that left-wing activists are transforming American society to fit their design, which discriminates against certain groups while styling itself as a movement against discrimination. "No matter what they are claiming on television or how loudly we are claiming it, their main goal is power," Carlson said. "They will silence you, hurt you, burn your country down, and they are doing all of that now. "At this point, we are becoming North Korea," Carlson added. "We now believe in blood guilt. We punish people for the sins of their relatives. We don't allow individuals to have private thoughts. We hurt anyone who disagrees with orthodoxy. UCLA PROFESSOR SUSPENDED, UNDER POLICE PROTECTION AFTER THREATS "We demand that the innocent plead guilty to things we know they didn't do and then read their confessions in public to prove they've been reeducated, and then we brag about doing all of this." The host cited the case of accounting professor Gordon Klein, who denied a demand...
    (CNN)The killing of George Floyd and the national explosion of protests that followed exposed the longstanding crisis of racism in America. But even as we continue pressing for criminal justice reforms, America must not forget the deadly health crisis still afflicting the nation -- another crisis that reflects deep patterns of racial difference. Errol LouisCommunities of color in urban and rural cities from coast to coast are disproportionately bearing the brunt of the Covid-19 pandemic. They need and deserve a national response targeted to the special situations that make them especially vulnerable to the virus. It's not just a public health issue, but a moral one. It's a story we are forgetting as the nation battles over reopening: how, when and whether states and other localities loosen Covid-19 restrictions and/or reopen industries, parks, schools, beaches and houses of worship. The floor of the New York Stock Exchange has reopened....
    Author and Hoover Institution senior fellow Shelby Steele questioned Tuesday whether presumptive Democratic nominee Joe Biden is actually concerned about the problems facing black America following the death of George Floyd last month and the subsequent protests and violence across America. "We live in, for a lack of a better term, a white guilt world," Steele told "The Story" host Martha MacCallum. "What is Mr. Biden doing? Does he really deeply care about black America and the problems that we have, or is he using our pain as a kind of advertisement of his own moral vanity?" BIDEN SURROGATE, FORMER VA GOV MCAULIFFE SUGGESTS CANDIDATE STAY UNDERGROUND Earlier in the interview, MacCallum played a clip of Biden's video message, which was shown at Floyd's funeral in Houston. "Looking through your eyes, we should also be asking ourselves why the answer is so often too cruel and painful," Biden said. "Why, in this nation, do too many black Americans wake up knowing that they could lose...
    When demonstrations erupted across the country after George Floyd’s death at the hands of police officers, Donald Trump portrayed the protesters as America’s enemies. Trump called them “thugs,” “lowlifes” and “losers.” He threatened to unleash America’s military on them and fled to a White House bunker while demonstrators gathered in Lafayette Square. But the protesters posed no threat. They’re the nation’s true patriots. For more than 200 years, ordinary Americans have taken to the streets to oppose injustice and improve their lives. That foundational right has been the basis for real change in the nation. Americans marched for women’s right to vote. They boycotted buses for civil rights. And they walked picket lines for decent wages and safe working conditions. These activists wanted a better America, one that actually realized its ideals of equal justice and ensured life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. Some sacrificed their bodies for the cause, just like the protesters in...
    Last Thursday Coatesville, Pennsylvania, was home to what's become a familiar sight: a protest of more than a thousand people chanting "Black Lives Matter" and "I can't breathe."  But Coatesville is no ordinary place for a protest. About an hour drive west of Philadelphia, the old steel town of about 13,000 is a far cry from the liberal metropolises that typically host protests and demonstrations, underscoring the vast breadth of the reignited Black Lives Matter movement and the growing political importance of the suburbs. "I think people are tired," said James Logan, Coatesville's assistant city manager, in a telephone interview Monday. "It's just been boiling for so long and now it's just running over." Coatesville, PA Black Lives Matter protest, June 2020. Alphonse Newsuan Trending News Trump suggests 75-year-old man shoved to the ground by police was a "set up" Top GOP senator says next coronavirus relief package expected in...
    Last Thursday Coatesville, Pennsylvania, was home to what's become a familiar sight: a protest of more than a thousand people chanting "Black Lives Matter" and "I can't breathe."  But Coatesville is no ordinary place for a protest. About an hour drive west of Philadelphia, the old steel town of about 13,000 is a far cry from the liberal metropolises that typically host protests and demonstrations, underscoring the vast breadth of the reignited Black Lives Matter movement and the growing political importance of the suburbs. "I think people are tired," said James Logan, Coatesville's assistant city manager, in a telephone interview Monday. "It's just been boiling for so long and now it's just running over." Coatesville, PA Black Lives Matter protest, June 2020. Alphonse Newsuan Trending News Trump suggests 75-year-old man shoved to the ground by police was a "set up" Barr says Trump went to bunker for security. Trump said...
    British journalist Piers Morgan wrote Monday that President Donald Trump should kneel in the Oval Office to bring the country together in the aftermath of George Floyd’s death. Morgan praised demonstrations that took place this past weekend, where some police officers and members of the National Guard took a knee in solidarity with protesters. Politicians throughout the country have also kneeled in solidarity with protesters, including presumptive Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden. (RELATED: Capitol Police Officers Take A Knee In Front Of Protesters, Are Met With Loud Applause) “Doubtless President Trump views Biden and all the new kneelers in the same ‘son of a bitch’ way he viewed NFL stars led by Colin Kaepernick when they took the knee during the national anthem,” Morgan wrote in The Daily Mail. “Yet the cold hard truth for the President is that Kaepernick’s been shown by George Floyd’s murder to be on the...
    Last night I was sitting in my living room and a convoy of trucks drove by my home filled with law enforcement and National Guard troops. I am a 59-year old African-American man and this brought back vivid childhood memories. On April 4, 1968, 18 days before my seventh birthday, I was in the middle of the street in my hometown, Detroit, Michigan playing urban baseball with my friends, using a hubcap as home plate, and neighbors’ cars as first, second, and third base. That evening I heard my mother and grandmother scream: “They killed him! They killed him! They killed Martin Luther King, Jr.! They killed my Martin!” READ MORE: Dr. Bernice King Jr.’s daughter slams Comcast over attack on civil rights law I had never witnessed my mother and grandmother in such emotional pain before. Moments later, I turned my head and immediately noticed...
    According to media reports over the weekend, the administration plans to pull nearly 10,000 U.S. troops from Germany by September. But if its strategy for dealing with global challenges really is to “put America first,” then force reductions in Europe are not the right move. America First has always meant making sure our national interests — the things that are really important to our security and our economic success — are protected from the worst that our nation’s enemies can throw at them as they strive to take us down. President Trump was exactly right to adopt a policy of “peace through strength” when he entered the Oval Office. The goal then, as now, was to ensure that the U.S. had the capacity to protect our vital interests and to demonstrate that America had the willingness and ability to put boots on the ground wherever they were needed to defend...
    On May 29th, Dr. Cornel West was being interviewed on CNN. In that interview, he referred to America as “a failed social experiment.” The next day, Elon Musk launched Bob and Doug into orbit using his revolutionary Falcon 9 rocket, and the equally stunning Dragon capsule, which Bob and Doug named Endeavor, after the now-retired Space Shuttle that had given them both their first ride into space in what was, in comparison to the Dragon capsule, a remarkably 20th Century-looking vehicle. You could hardly call that a failed social experiment. So which one of these two visions of America is true? Well, the sad reality is that they both are. Cornel West’s rage-fueled Blue America is a land divided by racial hatreds which, according to West and his colleagues, continues to get worse with each passing year. And yet, the SpaceX Demo-2 launch showed men and women from all racial backgrounds...
    The Smithsonian in D.C. announced a new initiative that will tackle how Americans currently “understand, experience and confront race.” Called “Race, Community and Our Shared Future,” it will also explore the impact of race on communities and how that impact is shaping the future, a Smithsonian news release said. “For nearly 175 years, the Smithsonian has been a place that brings America together in times of joy, celebration, sorrow and sadness,” Lonnie Bunch, secretary of the Smithsonian said. “A place where the country reflects and learns about our nation’s past and present.” The Smithsonian has partnered with Bank of America, which has committed $25 million, for the initiative. Burch said that the initiative recognizes a “key moment when all Americans need to see racism as a national issue that transcends specific communities.” The initiative will start with virtual town hall conversations among global and national leaders in civil rights, social...
    Laura Ingraham kicked off Monday night's edition of "The Ingraham Angle" by warning that Democrats and left-wing activists will ramp up their "campaign to destabilize America through bullying and violence" -- and brook no opinion that calls their actions into question. Ingraham cited the case of Philadelphia Inquirer executive editor Stan Wischnowski, who resigned after approving a headline that read: "Buildings Matter, Too" following widespread rioting in the city. "At least he only lost his job," the host said. "When you physically defend your business or home, you could end up like [retired St. Louis police captain] David Dorn, left to die on the ground." Dorn was trying to protect a friend's pawn shop early on the morning of June 2 when he was confronted by violent protesters who fatally shot him and looted the store. One man has since been arrested and charged in Dorn's death. "There are no televised memorials planned for Captain Dorn," Ingraham remarked, "at least...
    (CNN)An offshoot of the Black Lives Matter protests that have swelled across the country over the past two weeks is a new three-word mantra for protesters squaring off against authorities in riot gear: "Defund the Police." Here's what that means, from CNN's Scottie Andrews: Some supporters of divestment want to reallocate some, but not all, funds away from police departments to social services. Some want to strip all police funding and dissolve departments.And certainly there is momentum for change in the wake of George Floyd's death after a Minneapolis police officer knelt on his neck. (The now-former officer, Derek Chauvin, has been charged with third-degree murder. His bail was set Monday at $1.25 million.) A veto-proof majority of the Minneapolis City Council has pledged to disband their city's police and re-think the whole idea of safety.There are two things on this subject from over the weekend you should watch:1. Minneapolis...
    Former Acting Director of National Intelligence Richard Grenell told "Tucker Carlson Tonight" Monday that his time in the Trump administration has shown him that the great political struggle is no longer between Republicans and Democrats, but between the District of Columbia and the rest of the U.S. In his first TV interview since leaving the administration, Grenell explained a tweet he posted Saturday in response to criticism of Trump from former Defense Secretary James Matts. "The fact of the matter is," Grenell said, "we have a real problem in Washington, D.C., because it’s a system that it no longer is Republicans and Democrats pushing against each other to create good policy. It’s a fight between Washington and the rest of America." Video"What we have [is] a system in Washington where people get jobs if you're there, if you know someone and you work your way up, and it’s like musical chairs from one agency to another," Grenell added. "There is no outside...
    Meghan Markle and Prince Harry may be in for a challenge when it comes to finding privacy in Los Angeles. Former royal protection officer Simon Morgan recently spoke with Us Weekly about the struggles that the pair will face after relocating from the U.K. “I think a lot of it will depend on how they actually engage with people, both in terms of the ordinary person in the streets and the media, and how much access they allow with that,” Morgan explained during the outlet's episode of "Royally Us" on Thursday. “The more you withdraw, the more people want to know what you’re up to. There just becomes that fascination.” SOPHIE, COUNTESS OF WESSEX, ADDRESSES MEGHAN MARKLE, PRINCE HARRY STEPPING BACK AS SENIOR MEMBERS OF THE ROYAL FAMILY While people may have a "fascination" with Harry, 35, and Markle, 38, because of any withdrawals on their part, their celebrity will also keep them in the...
    This is the week America woke up to a moment of clarity: we are in the midst of a great cultural civil war. The country was largely unified when we all saw the terrible video of George Floyd’s tragic death – unified in anger and frustration, in wanting justice and punishment for a cop who, whatever his motivation, went too far and murdered a citizen for the crime of passing a counterfeit bill. Ever since then, we’ve been coming apart. VideoThe cultural civil war that has been simmering underneath the surface is now boiling. Consider that as much as the protests can largely be described as peaceful, they have now led to more than a dozen deaths and hundreds of millions of dollars in property damage and theft. Consider the image of Senator Tim Kaine, the former Vice Presidential nominee of his party, kneeling on the ground like he’s a hostage, as...
    Speaking with Fox News’ Mark Levin on “Life, Liberty and Levin”on Sunday, civil rights veteran Shelby Steele, the author of “White Guilt: How Blacks and Whites Together Destroyed the Promise of the Civil Rights Era” and “Shame: How America’s Past Sins Have Polarized Our Country,” ripped  of the claim that America is plagued by “systemic racism.” He stated, “That’s a corruption; it’s a corruption because the truth of the matter is, blacks have never been less oppressed than they are today. Opportunity is around every corner.” Levin prompted, “You see what’s taking place in cities, mostly Democrat, one-party cities, mostly Democrat one-party states, and yet you see the response from the national Democrats: Biden, Schumer and Pelosi who barely acknowledge the rioting and the looting that’s taking place. You see the media that report that most of this is peaceful, and you see the allegation: ‘systemic racism.’ Is this a...
    Iraq War veteran and political analyst Rob Smith argued that the debate over U.S. law enforcement reform in the wake of George Floyd's death is distorted by serious misconceptions. "When we have this conversation about policing in America, it seems to be so black and white because there's this idea that the victims of police violence are always black and all the police are always white," said Smith, who is African-American. "We have hundreds of thousands of African-American police officers that are serving honorably every single day," he continued on Fox Nation's "Deep Dive." AFRICAN-AMERICAN CONSERVATIVES BLOW UP STEREOTYPES: 'WE BOTH DON'T EXIST' Smith pointed to the tragic murder of retired St. Louis police captain, David Dorn, 77, who was gunned down last week while working as a security guard at a pawn shop.  Dorn was African-American. "This is somebody that they gave his life protecting a store from the looting and the rioting and all that stuff that has...
    New York (CNN Business)In the early 2000s, Dick Parsons was part of the first wave of black CEOs in Corporate America. The Time Warner boss predicted at the time that the wave was just beginning."It didn't happen," Parsons told CNN Business in an exclusive interview. "Why it didn't happen, I'm somewhat at a loss." Today, there are just four black CEOs of Fortune 500 companies: Merck (MRK) CEO Kenneth Frazier, Marvin Ellison of Lowe's (LOW), Roger Ferguson of TIAA and Tapestry (TPR) CEO Jide Zeitlin. And black professionals held just 3.3% of all executive or senior leadership roles in 2018. It never became an impassible impediment when I faced racism. You just figured out a way to get over, around or through it." Dick Parsons, former CEO of Time Warner"The process is working, but very slowly," said Parsons, 72, who stepped down as CEO of CBS in 2018 because of...
    From their front porches, regular citizens watched a cordon of cops sweep down their peaceful street in Minneapolis, Minnesota. Rankled at being filmed, the cops exceeded their authority and demanded that people go inside their houses. When some of them didn’t obey quickly enough, the order—one heard so many times in the streets of Iraqi cities and in the villages of Afghanistan—was issued: “Light ’em up.” And so “disobedient” Americans found themselves on the receiving end of non-lethal rounds for the “crime” of watching the police from those porches. It’s taken years from Ferguson to this moment, but America’s cops have now officially joined the military as “professional” warriors. In the wake of George Floyd’s murder on May 25th, those warrior-cops have taken to the streets across the country wearing combat gear and with attitudes to match. They see protesters, as well as the reporters covering them, as the enemy and themselves as the “thin blue line” of...
    Hundreds of thousands of Americans have suffered “deaths of despair” from alcohol and drug abuse and suicides because they could no longer provide for their families. Even before the COVID-19 crisis, during a post-recession period when the economy and stock market were booming, the poorest 50% of Americans lost wealth. And now many of them have lost their jobs, their income, their livelihoods. 40%: The Percentage of Lost Jobs that May Be Lost for Good Anywhere from half to three-quarters of Americans are living paycheck-to-paycheck. Now the paychecks are disappearing. Tens of millions of Americans have lost their jobs, many of which will not come back. A recent paper out of the University of Chicago estimates that over 40 percent of jobs lost are gone for good. $40 Trillion: The Amount of Wealth that Went to America’s Richest 10% in Just Ten Years The poorest 50% got nothing. Their wealth actually declined. Over three-quarters of our wealth is owned by the richest 10% of Americans. Over...
    The 2020 college football season will be the most important one in the history of the sport. Never before has football mattered in this country as much as it matters right now. Never before have Saturdays in the fall been as important as they’re going to be in a few months. (RELATED: David Hookstead Is The True King In The North When It Comes To College Football) Our country is in a very dark place right now. The United States of America is fractured and divided, and we need something to help heal the wounds.   View this post on Instagram   A post shared by Mac Jones (@macjones_10) on Apr 14, 2019 at 7:04pm PDT In the past few months, we’ve watched people get shut into their homes because of coronavirus and then we watched society seemingly come apart at the seams in the aftermath of George Floyd’s death. We watched the...
    Over the weekend, CBS News broke the story that during the height of the mass protests across the country in response to the police killing of George Floyd, President Trump had yet another meltdown. In a heated exchange with Attorney General William Barr, Secretary of Defense Mark Esper, and Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Mark Milley, he demanded 10,000 active-duty troops be deployed across the country to suppress protest activity. According to CBS, these officials rejected Trump’s demand, but tried to placate him by urging state Governors to request a military presence on the now infamous “dominate the streets” call with the President. Now, before delving further, it’s worth pointing out that a cabinet official’s only proper response to a president demanding 10,000 active-duty servicemembers to crush protected speech should be to invoke the 25th Amendment and remove the President from office.  But that would be expecting too much from...
    Former Secretary of States Condoleezza Rice ripped Russia, Iran, and China during a CBS News interview on Sunday for trying to use the death of George Floyd to create propaganda. During the interview with host Margaret Brennan, Rice also noted that there was “no excuse for the criminality and for the looting” that have hit America’s inner cities during the violent riots over the last couple of weeks. “Madam Secretary, you know, some of America’s adversaries, Russia, Iran, China, they are using the images of what happened to Mr. Floyd and what is happening in the streets of American cities right now in their own state propaganda,” Brennan said. “Do you see this racial divide as a national security threat to us?” “Well, I’ve always thought that America’s greatest strength is that we are a country where you can come from humble circumstances and do great things, and where, despite...
    Author and documentarian Shelby Steele, a Hoover Institution fellow, discussed why he believes the new widespread claims of "systemic racism" in American culture are "expanding the territory of entitlement." Steele, author of the tome "White Guilt: How Blacks and Whites Together Destroyed the Promise of the Civil Rights Era" and "Shame: How America's Past Sins Have Polarized Our Country," joined Mark Levin for an interview airing Sunday at 8 p.m. ET on "Life Liberty & Levin," in which he expounded on that topic. Levin asked Steele about the growing protests mixed with unrest in "mostly Democrat, one-party cities; mostly Democrat, one-party states," and the fact that top Democrats like Sen. Charles Schumer, D-N.Y., and Joe Biden "barely acknowledge" the rioting and looting going on. "You see the media that report that most of this is peaceful and you see the allegation: systemic racism," Levin said. Steele, 74, said that when he was growing...
    The protests sparked by the police murder of George Floyd in Minneapolis on Memorial Day continue. This people’s uprising against police brutality and social injustice have spread far beyond Minnesota Minneapolis to all 50 states and around the world. Donald Trump is a destroyer, not a healer. Given his tendencies toward authoritarianism, even fascism, Trump is only capable of sowing more division in a nation convulsing in pain and anger over the murder of George Floyd, the resulting explosion of police violence and what that reveals about our extreme levels of social inequality and broader culture of cruelty. Enraged by the protesters in Washington, Donald Trump has now retreated into the White House, literally surrounding it with National Guard troops law enforcement agents (some with no badges or insignias), and an improvised wall of fences and barriers. Trump has threatened to unleash the U.S. military against Americans exercising their constitutionally-guaranteed right to free speech and protest. Senior military officials have — to this point — blunted or rejected Trump’s demands that the country’s armed forces...
    The pandemic has created an almost infinite number of questions. One of the biggest faced by our country, our states, and our localities is how to start “reopening.” Most states mandated widespread closures of businesses and other public institutions in order to mitigate the damage caused by COVID-19, but even with those measures, and social distancing, we’ve already lost over 100,000 Americans—disproportionately Americans of color. The crucial decisions on the reopening process have fallen largely to the states. The wrong strategy can result in a second wave of the virus far more deadly than many may expect. The 1918 Spanish flu killed 675,000 Americans—and our population then was only one-third of today’s; almost 200,000 of those deaths occurred in the second wave, after social distancing and other public health measures were relaxed prematurely. Could we be setting ourselves up for something equally disastrous? It may boil down to which state you call home. New York...
    BERLIN (AP) — Germany’s top diplomat says ties with the United States are “complicated” and he fears that America’s domestic discord could further fuel international tensions. Foreign Minister Heiko Maas said in an interview published Sunday that if the U.S. goes ahead with plans to withdraw thousands of troops stationed in Germany then Berlin would “take note of this.” Maas told weekly Bild am Sonntag that Germany “values the cooperation with U.S. forces that has grown over decades. It is in the interest of both our countries.” The Wall Street Journal reported Friday that President Donald Trump has ordered the Pentagon to reduce the number of U.S. troops in Germany by 9,500. Currently there are 34,500 American service members permanently assigned in Germany as part of a long-standing arrangement with America’s NATO ally. Maas said Germany and the United States are “close partners in the trans-Atlantic alliance. But it’s...
    (CNN)We can't jog and be black. We can't barbecue and be black. We can't bird watch and be black. We can't sleep in our bed and be black. We can't even sit in our own car and be black. Not safely, anyway. As a black man, as the son and grandson and great grandson of black men, as a father of a black teenager, I've known the fear I can trigger among white people. I know that, for many, when they see my skin they can see a loaded, cocked weapon. For black people, our melanin is probable cause.This is our truth. And there's not a thing we can do about that. But white people can. For most white people, the violence that happens to blacks in America has too often been a headline on Facebook to scroll past, a Twitter video to watch, a morning show news clip...
    The horrific May 25 killing by a white Minneapolis police officer of George Floyd, a black man in handcuffs who was not resisting arrest, has shocked the world and left America at a crossroads. Will we as a nation finally do the work needed to achieve true and lasting racial equality? Or will we choose the status quo and fail to make the changes needed to eliminate the cancer of racism that has plagued America since Africans were first brought to the colonies in chains 400 years ago? While slavery is long gone, a racial double-standard continues to plague our police departments, public schools, courtrooms and boardrooms. And black Americans continue to suffer disproportionately from poverty, poorer health, lower educational attainment, worse housing and in other ways. ORGANIZERS AIM TO BRING A MILLION PROTESTERS TO WASHINGTON IN LARGEST BLM DEMONSTRATION YET Truth be told, abandoning our nation’s long and immoral...
    Nobel laureate James Buchanan is the intellectual linchpin of the Koch-funded attack on democratic institutions, argues Duke historian Nancy MacLean Ask people to name the key minds that have shaped America’s burst of radical right-wing attacks on working conditions, consumer rights and public services, and they will typically mention figures like free market-champion Milton Friedman, libertarian guru Ayn Rand, and laissez-faire economists Friedrich Hayek and Ludwig von Mises. James McGill Buchanan is a name you will rarely hear unless you’ve taken several classes in economics. And if the Tennessee-born Nobel laureate were alive today, it would suit him just fine that most well-informed journalists, liberal politicians, and even many economics students have little understanding of his work. The reason? Duke historian Nancy MacLean contends that his philosophy is so stark that even young libertarian acolytes are only introduced to it after they have accepted the relatively sunny perspective of Ayn...
    (CNN)Fifty-two years ago this weekend, Robert F. Kennedy, then the junior senator from New York and a leading candidate for the Democratic presidential nomination, died in Los Angeles, the victim of a political assassination. I've been looking again at the final months of his life, which were largely shaped by the murder of Martin Luther King, Jr. The words he spoke the night of April 4, 1968, when King was assassinated, and in the days following feel tailor-made for own moment in 2020. And his efforts at guidance as a presidential candidate during those weeks leading up to his own death on June 6, bring into stark relief the stunning dereliction of leadership shown in 2020 by President Donald Trump. Timothy Denevi If there's one thing Kennedy couldn't stand, it was the sort of person who spoke to the basest instincts in the human condition, those bullies willing to...
    Striving to be anti-racist is a hot topic right now, evidenced in the multitude of how-to lists letting you know the do’s and don’ts of allyship, what articles to seek out, and which books to read. The optimist in me is buoyed by this – good on you, America! The realist in me knows that this is a TL;DR culture in which few people have the attention or the discipline to read an entire article, let alone a book. This is not to say you should cancel that order of “White Fragility” or “So You Want to Talk About Race” or any of the other books people have advised you to buy. You should read them, and I trust one day you will. Until that day, passive learning by screen might be more your speed. Fortunately an array of enlightening films and educational TV series exist that can provide some...
    Every cult has the same goal: the utter submission of its members. Cult members surrender everything. They give up their physical freedom – where they can go, who they can see, how they can dress. But more than that, they give up control of their minds. Cult leaders determine what their followers are allowed to believe, even in their most private thoughts. In order to do this, cults separate people from all they have known before. They force members to renounce their former lives, their countries and their customs. They allow no loyalty except to the cult. The first thing they attack – always – is the family. Families are always the main impediment to brainwashing and extremism. If you’re going to control individuals – if you’re going to transform free people into compliant robots – the first thing you must do is separate them from the ones who love...
    Once again, President Donald Trump is being scapegoated for societal problems that he didn’t cause. He didn’t bring the coronavirus to our shores, and he has not created an atmosphere of racial disharmony in this country. Is there anything Trump’s haters won’t blame on him? They’ve been trying to remove him since before he was sworn in, and every time they fail, they find another excuse — from the Russia-collusion hoax to Ukraine to the coronavirus to economic hardship from the shutdown to the murder of George Floyd to the subsequent mayhem in our cities. Trump roundly condemned George Floyd’s murder shortly after it occurred, but that wasn’t enough. He condemned the organized thugs who hijacked the protests to vandalize, loot and endanger innocent people, but that was unacceptable. By condemning the anarchists, he was somehow chilling the peaceful protestors’ free speech rights and showing insensitivity to their cause and...
    NEW YORK (AP) - Players accused teams of “depriving America of baseball games” as part of a money fight set off by the coronavirus pandemic and raised the possibility baseball Commissioner Rob Manfred might push ahead with a shortened season over the union’s objection. Bruce Meyer, the union’s chief negotiator, sent a letter to Deputy Commissioner Dan Halem on Friday threatening that an attempt to play without an agreement could lead players to block any attempt to expand the playoffs and deny consent to neutral-site games in the postseason. “The league’s cynical tactic of depriving America of baseball games in furtherance of their demand for unwarranted salary concessions is shortsighted and troubling,” Meyer wrote. “Meanwhile, other leagues are moving forward with their plans for resumption.” TOP STORIES 57 Buffalo cops resign from team after two are suspended for pushing elderly man to the ground Van Jones: Forget the KKK,...
    CBS News White House correspondent Paula Reid criticized for President Trump over his trip to Maine amid racial tensions over the death of George Floyd. Following his Rose Garden address touting the positive jobs report, Trump headed to Guilford, Maine, to tour the Puritan Medical Products factory where swabs are manufactured for coronavirus tests. Reid critiqued the "optics" of going to Maine during the nationwide uproar that has revived the Black Lives Matter movement. MAINSTREAM MEDIA FALSELY FRAMES TRUMP'S 'GREAT DAY' GEORGE FLOYD REMARKS ON JOBS REPORT INSTEAD OF EQUALITY UNDER LAW "President leaves 'press conference' without taking q's & heads to Maine - one of the whitest states in America. It's his only trip outside the District this week & not helping optics that he is avoiding larger conversation about racial disparity in the US," Reid tweeted. Reid later added that Maine is the "most beautiful place on Earth this time of year" after...
    Gayle King is afraid for her son. “My son is 33 years old, and I’m worried about him,” she said on Thursday’s episode of “The Talk @Home.” King, 65, explained that she begs William Bumpus Jr. not to take his dog for long walks in the Santa Monica, Calif., area amid ongoing protests in response to the death of George Floyd while in police custody, adding that “everything is so volatile.” Gayle King and William Bumpus Jr.Getty Images “I’m worried about him walking his frickin’ dog,” she said. “I worry for him being a black man, period.” She explained that as things have escalated, so have her fears. “Now everybody is so amped up about everything. I do, I worry a lot about his safety,” she said. “Welcome to being black in America. This is not new.” She continued, “This is another thing that I think is so interesting, how...
    (CNN)He was a big hugger, Shareeduh Tate told the world of her cousin on Thursday. When George Floyd wrapped his arms around you, she said during a nationally-televised memorial service to celebrate his life and to call for justice, "any problems you had, any concerns you had would all go away." Roxanne JonesSince Floyd's death at the hands of Minneapolis police, protests have been ongoing across the nation and the world over racism and police brutality. Four officers have been charged, including Derek Chauvin, the officer who pinned Floyd to the ground by his neck for nearly 9 minutes. He has been charged with second-degree murder and killing Floyd "without intent" in the course of committing assault in the third degree. He initially faced only lesser charges but the complaint was amended after public outcry. Officers J. Alexander Kueng, Thomas Lane and Tou Thao have been arrested and charged with...
    Leonardo DiCaprio has voiced his support for the black community following the death of George Floyd in police custody. “I commit to listen, learn and take action,” the “Once Upon a Time in … Hollywood” actor announced on Instagram on Thursday night. “I am dedicated to end the disenfranchisement of Black America, that has been present for too long.” Leo, 45, added that he will support individuals, organizations, and coalitions dedicated to bringing “long-term change.” He announced he will be “personally donating” to several non-profits including Color of Change, Fair Fight Action, the NAACP, and the Equal Justice Initiative. “Please, join me, in following and learning from the organizations,” he said. The Oscar winner is known for his activism and started a foundation to help fight climate change and raise environmental awareness. DiCaprio also co-launched America’s Food Fund with Laurene Powell Jobs to help raise funds for those struggling amid...
    Friday’s May jobs report shocked economists and analysts: After weeks of speculation that the new figures might show unemployment topping 20 percent—Great Depression-era levels—according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics national unemployment actually dropped from 14.7 percent in April to “just” 13.3 percent. National payrolls, which experts had been predicting might have officially shed another eight million jobs, actually added over two million. That indicates the crush of economic devastation from the pandemic might be easing, even as the numbers remain so monstrously large that they’re hard to grasp. So far, we’ve seen a group larger than the entire population of California lose their jobs since March. As the pandemic coverage is swept aside by protests over police brutality and systemic racism, one calculation holds that half of all black adults are now jobless. The new jobs report, while a welcome improvement, hardly captures what really appears to be happening...
    LOS ANGELES (AP) — Gabrielle Union filed a complaint Thursday with the state of California against NBC and the producers of “America’s Got Talent,” the latest move in a fight over her allegations that she was fired for objecting to an on-set environment that tolerated racism. The complaint filed with the Department of Fair Employment and Housing says Union was harassed and discriminated against because of her race, and experienced retaliation for reporting these problems. The document enumerates previously reported issues that Union, who is black, had with the show’s acceptance of racist jokes and remarks from judges, and cites criticism she received about her hair during tapings. “Union, a black woman, was singled out due to her physical appearance and discriminated against by NBC due to the fact that her hair did not fit within the white image that NBC apparently sought to convey to the audience of AGT,”...
    Fox News contributor Sarah Sanders said on Friday that presumptive Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden is not the person who can unite the country after Biden claimed that "10 to 15 percent" of Americans are "just not very good people." “He is saying things [that are] divisive and saying 15 percent of our country aren’t good people,” the former White House press secretary told “Fox & Friends.” As first reported by The New York Times, Biden held a virtual town hall on Thursday evening with black supporters where he knocked what he called Trump's divisiveness and weak leadership. BIDEN CLAIMS '10 TO 15 PERCENT' OF AMERICANS ARE 'JUST NOT VERY GOOD PEOPLE' “The words a president says matter, so when a president stands up and divides people all the time, you’re gonna the worst of us to come out,” Biden told actor Don Cheadle, who was moderating the virtual town hall. Video“Do we really think this is as...
    ESPN pundit Max Kellerman recently had a scorching hot take about hockey in the USA. The NHL is primed to return after the coronavirus pandemic, and millions of fans around the country are super excited. (RELATED: David Hookstead Is The True King In The North When It Comes To College Football) Just don’t tell Max Kellerman that. During an ESPN appearance, the network star said “nobody really cares about hockey,” adding that it’s not one of the major four sports. You can watch his blazing hot take below. Beeeeef…#NHL pic.twitter.com/hpTaasSa7q — Nick Alberga (@thegoldenmuzzy) June 3, 2020 Okay, right off the bat, if hockey isn’t one of the four major sports, then what is the fourth? We all agree the NBA, NFL and MLB are in the top four. If the NHL isn’t, then is it the MLS? Is it tennis? Is it NASCAR? What an insanely stupid thing to say. On top of that,...
    New York (CNN Business)The United States is experiencing a "reckoning" over race, justice and inequality that has been decades in the making, fintech CEO Ryan Williams told CNN Business."We've been hallucinating as a country for a long time," said Williams, the 32-year-old African American founder of Cadre, a startup disrupting the real estate industry with the support of elite investors including George Soros, Mark Cuban and Peter Thiel. Williams, who was on the cover of Forbes in January 2019, said the unrest gripping the United States means these long-simmering issues can no longer be ignored.I was given an opportunity. I seized the moment. But that opportunity needs to be democratized." Ryan Williams, founder and CEO of Cadre"There are huge opportunity gaps that exist in this country economically," the Harvard graduate said. "Coronavirus, in many ways, exacerbated and brought those to light." Racial inequality has been a major problem in the...
    In late 2019, Camille Schrier stunned the world when she won the crown for Miss America just minutes after giving a colorful chemistry demonstration in a lab coat. It was the second year in a row that the female candidates hailing from all 50 states and the District of Columbia were not judged in a swimsuit or how they looked in an evening gown. Instead, a series of interviews and talent demonstrations helped determine who was qualified for the “job,” or a one-ear paid position that comes with a $50,000 scholarship. The Virginian biochemist, who spoke on stage about having tackled an eating disorder, said she decided to compete for Miss America after the swimsuit competition was ditched. She was determined to “break stereotypes about what it means to be a Miss America in 2020” by being a “woman of science.” The 24-year-old is now determined to show children how...
    (CNN)Part of America is tiptoeing toward an uncomfortable self-examination about race. But President Donald Trump, bunkered down in his fortress behind high fences now ringing the White House, is spurning a building wave of national reflection.The death of George Floyd in the latest example of police brutality has drawn tens of thousands of people onto the streets and caused some Americans to launch a fresh appraisal of the systemic racism and bias black Americans experience in this country.Sensing a moment of national reckoning, some major corporations, company managers, major sports leagues and white politicians have felt compelled to speak out. Anecdotal signs of a shift can be seen in Amazon bestseller lists dominated by books about racial prejudice. A story about a heart-to-heart about race between an airline executive and a flight attendant from a rival carrier was a feel-good moment in a wrenching week.NFL quarterback Drew Brees on Thursday...
    Gabrielle Union filed a complaint Thursday in the state of California against her former employers, NBC and the producers of "America's Got Talent." It's the former "AGT" judge's latest move since her departure from the competition series after she reportedly objected to an on-set environment that allegedly tolerated racism and a generally “toxic" work culture. The complaint filed with the Department of Fair Employment and Housing says Union, 47, was harassed and discriminated against because of her race, and experienced retaliation for reporting these problems. INVESTIGATION INTO GABRIELLE UNION'S 'AMERICA'S GOT TALENT' EXIT FINDS NO RACIAL, GENDER BIAS The document enumerates previously reported issues that Union, who is black, had with the show's acceptance of racist jokes and remarks from judges, and cites criticism she received about her hair during tapings. “Union, a black woman, was singled out due to her physical appearance and discriminated against by NBC due to the fact that her...
    Many businesses hoping to safely reopen are looking for ways to keep employees and customers safe from the spread of COVID-19. Although not everyone infected with the coronavirus will have a fever, 83 to 99 percent of people with the disease experience an elevated temperature, according to the CDC. Amazon is using thermal cameras to screen warehouse workers for fevers. Fox News spoke with Andrew Southern, CEO of Invisible Health Technologies, about advising clients on technology solutions for their businesses. “People are looking for answers and guidance,” Southern said. His firm consults with real estate developers, hotels, as well as transportation, education, and manufacturing companies. Southern specializes in mass fever detection systems, or MFDS, which allow for large groups to be screened at once, without creating a bottleneck of foot traffic. Omnisense Sentry MK4 – Mass Fever Screening System in use for airport fever detection [Omnisense] “The way that these cameras are working, they...
    St. Paul, Minn. police chief Todd Axtell told Fox News' "Your World" Thursday that the death of George Floyd and the ensuing unrest have brought about a "pivotal moment in policing in America." Axtell told host Neil Cavuto that his department is faring well in the aftermath of several nights of unrest, but admitted that it had been an "exhausting week" in the Twin Cities. "The last time we observed [this kind of] vitriol and division and chaos through our country [was] 52 years ago [in] 1968," the chief said. "And we are bound and determined to repeat ourselves unless we use this as an opportunity to connect with all of our communities at a much higher level ... to make sure we are hiring the most qualified officers, hiring the heart and training the mind and providing trusted service with respect." VideoAxtell, who was named St. Paul police chief in 2016 and has been on the force in Minnesota's capital city for three decades, added...
    The push for racial equality has been met with resistance throughout American history. The "resentment" over the pace of the civil rights movement in the 1960s came to be known as white backlash, and it still plays a role in affecting policy today, Cornell University history professor Lawrence Glickman said. White backlash in the United States dates back to at least the period after the Civil War, known as the Reconstruction, when there was "a brief experiment in racial equality and interracial democracy," Glickman explained on CBSN Thursday.  "One of the key elements about the Reconstruction period was how quickly so many whites turned against it and thought it had gone too far and too fast," he said. "I'm talking within one or two years of the close of the Civil War, you began to see this discourse about 'whoa, whoa, we need to slow down here,' when the fact...
    WASHINGTON (AP) — A divided Senate voted along party lines Thursday to confirm President Donald Trump’s choice to head the Voice of America and other U.S. government-funded international broadcasters that have been the subject of harsh criticism from the White House. Despite significant Democratic opposition and concerns over his fitness for the job, the Senate voted 53-38 to confirm Michael Pack to run the U.S. Agency for Global Media, which oversees VOA and its sister outlets including Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, Radio Free Asia and the Cuba-oriented Radio and Television Marti. Democrats opposed the nomination of Pack, a former associate of Trump political adviser Steve Bannon, in part because of questions about his past business dealings. Recent criticism of VOA from Trump and the White House has intensified their concerns about his nomination. Trump had pushed for Pack’s confirmation while launching unprecedented attacks on the Voice of...
    WASHINGTON (AP) - A divided Senate voted along party lines Thursday to confirm President Donald Trump’s choice to head the Voice of America and other U.S. government-funded international broadcasters that have been the subject of harsh criticism from the White House. Despite significant Democratic opposition and concerns over his fitness for the job, the Senate voted 53-38 to confirm Michael Pack to run the U.S. Agency for Global Media, which oversees VOA and its sister outlets including Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, Radio Free Asia and the Cuba-oriented Radio and Television Marti. Democrats opposed the nomination of Pack, a former associate of Trump political adviser Steve Bannon, in part because of questions about his past business dealings. Recent criticism of VOA from Trump and the White House has intensified their concerns about his nomination. TOP STORIES Lindsey Graham to James Mattis: Youre missing something here, my friend AG...
    Protests have a purpose. People protest when they feel like they’re not being heard. For the last week, we’ve seen countless protests across our country, including several in my home state of South Dakota, because of what happened to George Floyd while in the custody of the Minneapolis police. Personally, I couldn’t even make it through the video of his death because it was so gut-wrenching. There is no one that thinks that what happened to George Floyd was OK. The protests in South Dakota have served their purpose. ANDREW McCARTHY: 'INSTITUTIONAL RACISM' AMONG POLICE? LET'S LOOK AT THE NUMBERS The question before us now is: What do we want policing to look like going forward? That’s at all levels – city, county and state. There’s no governor in America that has trusted their people to make the right choices more than I have these last several months. And there’s no governor...
    Hawk Newsome, the chairman of the Black Lives Matter chapter of New York, said his organization is developing armed patrols of "peace officers" to safeguard communities from police brutality, following the death of George Floyd. "We're talking about self-defense. We're talking about defending our communities," Newsome told the Daily Mail on Wednesday, "We have black Special Forces officers advising us, and we will teach and train people in our communities..." Fox Nation host Tomi Lahren sat down with Newsome in February 2020 on her show "No Interruption," in the aftermath of protests and destructive riots in New York City, which shut down major transportation hubs in January 2020. FOR LIMITED TIME, RECEIVE 25% OFF NEW PURCHASE OF A YEARLY FOX NATION SUBSCRIPTION In a wide-ranging conversation, Newsome laid out his ideology, which is grounded in the conviction that the institution of policing is inherently racist and that positive change cannot be achieved through peaceful protest alone. "This is...
    (CNN)Omar Wasow is a researcher who works in a world of charts and data. But his analytical reserve cracked after watching a video of George Floyd dying while being arrested by police."I cried," says Wasow, an assistant professor of politics at Princeton University. "I'm not without deep empathy for people's anger. I feel that anger."His emotions, though, soon turned to unease when he saw some protests over Floyd's death spiral into violence. It all seemed like a replay of the 1960s race riots, which he believes tipped the 1968 presidential election to Richard Nixon, who ran as a law-and-order candidate.Wasow says his research shows that violent, black-led protests in the 1960s reduced white support for civil rights. And he says recent violence at the George Floyd protests could shift more white voters to Trump in November."It might be moral. It might be just," he says of the violence. "But it's...
    For many of us, this has been one of the saddest, most painful weeks in memory. Depressing doesn't even begin to describe it. We have watched as mobs of violent cretins have burned our cities, defaced our monuments, beaten old women in the street, shot police officers and stolen everything in sight -- stealing everything. BAIL REFORM LAWS LET ALLEGED CRIMINALS BACK ON THE STREETS WITHIN HOURS, THREATENING PUBLIC SECURITY How many innocent Americans have these people hurt? How many have they murdered? We don't know that number. But it's the country itself that so many of us worry about at this point. After we've watched what's happened over the last week, how do we put the society back together? Can we? We don't know that, either. If you're grieving for America right now, you are not alone. Millions feel the same way you do. So many of our leaders,...
    “These are the times that try men’s souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country, but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman.”  -- Thomas Paine (1737-1809) Colonial America was filled with summer soldiers and sunshine patriots who wanted triumph over tyranny but were afraid to fight for it. Of course, enough did fight. They won the Revolutionary War and they enacted a Constitution intended to prevent both anarchy and tyranny. Today, we have both. REP. ANDY BIGGS: END RIOTS, RESTORE FREEDOM – TOO MANY AIDING BAD BEHAVIOR America is under attack by three deadly viruses. COVID-19 has killed more than 107,000 Americans since March. Yet, it pales in comparison to the virus it provoked -- hubris. And that, in turn, provoked the virus that has bedeviled America since the 17th...
    Our current lockdown strategy may or may not defeat the coronavirus. But the Chinese clearly see it as a big win for them. China already feels it’s stolen a march on us by getting its economy back up and running as early as March. The truth is, the longer America’s lockdown drags on, the better it gets for China. Our blue-state governors and the Trump-hating media have propelled the perception that we are socially and economically paralyzed by COVID-19. That has clearly emboldened Beijing to aggressively push its agenda for becoming the new superpower Colossus bestriding the world. One obvious sign of this has been Beijing’s renewal of its effort to bring Hong Kong to heel with the security law that prompted demonstrations in the streets and international outrage just a year ago. President Xi Jinping and his Communist cohorts are counting on our distraction with the COVID pandemic to prevent us from...
    The terrifying death of George Floyd while in the custody of Minneapolis police last week has caused mass protests around the country as people express their outrage. The hideous images captured on video for all to see will have a lasting impact on America, I pray for the better. The country is unified – regardless of skin color or political party – around the truth that Floyd’s killing and others like it are totally unacceptable in our society and we must all work together to end racially charged violence against African-Americans. Peaceful protests are constitutionally protected and must be respected. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. was correct when he taught us that nonviolent gatherings send a powerful message that change is possible. The American people are in agreement that the senseless killing of Floyd, who’s been described by his brother as a gentle giant, must be protested loudly, clearly – and peacefully.  REP. ANDY BIGGS: END RIOTS, RESTORE...
    Texas Lt. Governor Dan Patrick told "Fox News @ Night" Wednesday that former Secretary of Defense Jim Mattis' criticism of President Trump was an unneeded "distraction" and that America must "turn to God" if it wants to overcome racism. "I think the timing was terrible, Shannon," Patrick told host Shannon Bream of Mattis' broadside. "And I think there are a lot of people speaking up now that are creating real distractions and undermining what we're all trying to do in this country." CURFEWS CONTINUE: MAJOR CITIES TELL AMERICANS TO STAY HOME FOR YET ANOTHER NIGHT Mattis released a statement to The Atlantic Wednesday evening slamming Trump for his leadership in the wake of George Floyd's death, which has been marked by violence and looting in major American cities. "Donald Trump is the first president in my lifetime who does not try to unite the American people — does not even pretend to try," Mattis said. "Instead he tries...
    Pink is posing a question. Since last week, the singer has been very vocal in her support of the Black Lives Matter movement, sharing several posts to Instagram sporting the hashtag and encouraging donations. On Wednesday, the "So What" singer, 40, again addressed her beliefs in a video she shared on Twitter. LIZZO, JOHN LEGEND, JANE FONDA AND MORE CELEBS SIGN 'OPEN DEMAND' LETTER TO DEFUND THE POLICE "How can anyone call themselves a patriot or an American if you re-elect a president that doesn't govern, respect or represent half of our country?" she said, referring to supporters of President Trump. "That's not America. That's your America. That's not America." Pink went on to say that some "worship the confederate flag, which is not our flag and it never will be." "Or you're a hypocrite that doesn't actually understand the meaning of patriotism or what it means to be an American," she said...
    George Floyd’s murder is a wakeup call to America. And now young black men are screaming the loudest that police misconduct must come to an end. The decision Wednesday to upgrade charges against fired Minneapolis policeman Derek Chauvin to second-degree murder and to charge three other officers in the murder of Floyd was a positive step forward, but much more needs to be done. Chauvin is now charged with second-degree murder, while the three other officers are charged with aiding and abetting second-degree murder. All four officers could face a maximum sentence of 50 years in prison if convicted. DEROY MURDOCK: TRUMP SHOULD DELIVER OVAL OFFICE ADDRESS ON RIOTING TEARING AMERICA APART My heart breaks for the family of George Floyd. And the family of Tamir Rice. And the family of Eric Garner. And the families for all of the other unarmed black men and women whose lives have been...
    Tucker Carlson opened his show Wednesday night by reflecting that many of America's political leaders appear "exhilarated by" the widespread violence gripping America's cities -- and deaf to the pain it has inflicted upon civil society and individual residents and business owners. "For many of us, this has been one of the saddest and most painful weeks in memory," the "Tucker Carlson Tonight" host said. "Depressing doesn't even begin to describe it. We have watched as mobs of violent cretins have burned our cities, defaced our monuments, beaten old women in the streets, shot police officers and stolen everything in sight. "How many innocent Americans have these people hurt?" he asked. "How many have they murdered? We don't know that number but it's the country itself that so many worry about at this point." NYC LOOTERS SEEN ESCAPING IN ROLLS ROYCE VideoBy contrast, Carlson charged, "so many of our leaders ... feel nothing as our nation descends into anarchy. They see the chaos instead as an opportunity...
    Former President Jimmy Carter spoke out Wednesday against the racial discrimination that plagues America and said people in power must say "no more" to a racially discriminatory police system and the "immoral" economic disparities between white and black people. "Rosalynn and I are pained by the tragic racial injustices and consequent backlash across our nation in recent weeks," Carter said in a statement following the death of George Floyd and subsequent nationwide protests. "Our hearts are with the victims’ families and all who feel hopeless in the face of pervasive racial discrimination and outright cruelty." Carter, however, rejected the violence that has also broken out in cities across the nation as police and protesters have, at times, clashed and looters have broken into businesses. "We all must shine a spotlight on the immorality of racial discrimination. But violence, whether spontaneous or consciously incited, is not a solution," said Carter, 95, who was commander in chief from 1977...
    (CNN)When Heather Coggins saw George Floyd cry out, "Mama!" as a Minneapolis police officer knelt on his neck, she thought of her uncle.Timothy Coggins was stabbed and dragged to his death in a racially fueled killing that wasn't solved for 35 years. His body was found maimed in a field in Sunny Side, Georgia, in 1983. Before that day, the chipper 23-year-old was known as a mama's boy. He wouldn't leave the house without telling his mother, Viola, he loved her and giving her a kiss. He'd get another peck when he got home."I'm sure he cried out, 'Mama!' when he was in that field," Heather Coggins said. "It hit home. Immediately, when I saw it, I thought, 'This is a modern-day lynching like Tim.'"Lynching is a charged, nebulous word. It evokes terrifying specters of the nation's past, but talk to those most connected to the crimes and those who...
    Washington (CNN)The books are flying off the virtual shelves: "White Fragility: Why It's So Hard for White People to Talk About Racism," Robin DiAngelo; "So You Want to Talk About Race," Ijeoma Oluo; "The New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration in the Age of Colorblindness," Michelle Alexander.Social media streams, meanwhile, are filled with white Americans learning about the power of supporting black-owned businesses, and sharing reading lists and podcasts that address racism -- and their responsibility to be not just not overtly racist, but anti-racist.News coverage of the systemic racism afflicting America is being devoured.But nothing here is novel. For decades, and centuries, black Americans have been attempting to make the country's deep-seated inequality legible through the language of resistance.US black-white inequality in 6 stark chartsOver the past week, people across the country have been assembling to condemn the killing of George Floyd by former Minneapolis policeman Derek Chauvin. These expressions...
    New York (CNN Business)Major companies have expressed solidarity with the collective plight of African Americans this week following the horrifying murder by police of George Floyd a week ago and the national chaos that has erupted in its wake.For many black Americans, however, the corporate tweets, executive memos and statements on combating racism ring hollow from companies that too often have baked systemic racism into their business practices.Tweeting support for black people's rights is a nice gesture, but there are much more effective actions companies serious about this fight can take.Here are five:1. Offer relief funds to black-owned businessesDiplomatic 1750, a Chicago sneaker and streetwear consignment boutique owned by Brian Heath, who is black. Read MoreMany black business owners are in dire need of bailouts right now.Coronavirus shutdowns and social-distancing mandates have devastated black entrepreneurs across the country. Black businesses that were set on fire and destroyed during riots in...
    There is a big debate about designating Antifa a terrorist group and what if any steps the federal government can take to stop the rioting. But we all know who the real culprits are for turning America’s streets into a war zone: progressives and liberals. They have filled the mind of America’s youth with ideological nitroglycerine that is now exploding in our streets, while also setting the conditions that make it almost impossible to stop it. The terrible events that have unfolded in the wake of the death of George Floyd represent the systematic failure of five decades of progressivism and liberalism. The end of the progressive dream has now brought us all to the brink in three ways. DEROY MURDOCK: TRUMP SHOULD DELIVER OVAL OFFICE ADDRESS ON RIOTING TEARING AMERICA APART First, we have too many progressive mayors and governors who can’t and won’t protect their own citizens and their property and businesses —...
    London (CNN Business)Unemployment in the European Union ticked up in April as job losses tied to the coronavirus pandemic mounted. But short-time work programs — which are far more common than in the United States — helped cushion the blow.The EU unemployment rate rose to 6.6% in April from 6.4% in March, Eurostat, the statistical office of the European Union, said Wednesday.How 39 million Europeans kept their jobs after the work dried upJob losses were not spread evenly across all EU countries. The unemployment rate in Spain, which was hit hard by the coronavirus, increased to 14.8% from 14.2% the previous month. Germany, meanwhile, held its unemployment rate steady at 3.5%, according to Eurostat.Still, the data indicates that Europe has been able to keep a lid on unemployment while battling its worst economic crisis since the 1930s. The European Commission predicts that GDP in the 19 countries that use the...
    In the wake of riots that have spread across America, leaving shattered businesses and wounded communities in their wake, it feels as though our nation is collapsing around us. That's bizarre, considering that virtually all Americans agree with the following two propositions: first, that it is evil for a police officer to place his knee on the neck of a prone suspect struggling to breathe for eight long minutes. Second, that breaking store windows; stealing televisions and shoes; beating business owners; attacking police officers is wrong. DEROY MURDOCK: TRUMP SHOULD DELIVER OVAL OFFICE ADDRESS ON RIOTING TEARING AMERICA APART That seeming unanimity should mean unity in the face of police brutality and rioting and looting. It doesn't. It doesn't because members of our political class have decided that instead of rallying against obvious evil, Americans must be categorized as enlightened or benighted based on their answer to one question: Was...
    New York (CNN Business)The stock market is not the economy. But rarely has the gap between Wall Street and Main Street felt so wide.The United States is going through its worst race crisis since 1968 following the death of George Floyd, an unarmed black man, at the hands of a police officer in Minneapolis. Riots have hit cities across the nation. Looting is rampant. And President Donald Trump is threatening to send in the military to stop the violence.The civil unrest could exacerbate the coronavirus pandemic that has already killed more than 100,000 Americans. That in turn could deepen the economic collapse that has forced more than 40 million people to file for unemployment. Meanwhile US-China relations are imploding, imperiling the trade war ceasefire reached between the world's two largest economies.The market is broken. It no longer reflects a forward outlook that is truly aligned in the real economy." Joe...
    (CNN)If Donald Trump is willing to rip the nation's fabric, Joe Biden is trying to keep it together.The President, by choosing to incite division rather than to heal it in the wake of George Floyd's killing and by setting federal security forces on protestors, is signaling no limits to his bid to retain power. He is tearing at social scars to revive a presidency humbled by a pandemic and an economic disaster, and he seems set on creating the dystopian fight between order and chaos he has long evoked.Until now, the national presidential campaign of the 77-year-old former vice president Biden had seemed like a placeholder. He had even referred to himself as a bridge to a new generation of Democrats and there was not much aspirational about a bid rooted almost exclusively in kicking Trump out of the White House.But the suddenly critical political circumstances offer him the chance...
    Housing and Urban Development Secretary Dr. Ben Carson urged protesters Tuesday not to "succumb" to those who are trying to "divide and conquer" the country by pitting Americans against one another. "We need to recognize that we, the American people, are not each other’s enemies," Carson told "The Story." "We should not succumb to those who are trying to make us believe that we are enemies, to divide and conquer," he said. "I’ve never seen a situation where violence, activity of this nature accomplishes something good, it only accomplishes bad." "We should not succumb to those who are trying to make us believe that we are enemies."— Dr. Ben Carson, 'The Story'Responding to those who justify the violence under the pretense that peaceful pleas for chance would be ignored,  Carson asked, "Have they forgotten about the legacy of one of the greatest Americans of all time, Dr. Martin Luther King, who was an advocate for nonviolent protests and through the success of a nonviolent protest brought about the greatest social change that has ever been...
    Washington (CNN)Former President George W. Bush on Tuesday publicly reacted for the first time to the national unrest surrounding the police killing of George Floyd, saying that "it is time for America to examine our tragic failures."Bush, a Republican, said in a statement that he and former first lady Laura Bush "are anguished by the brutal suffocation of George Floyd and disturbed by the injustice and fear that suffocate our country." "Yet we have resisted the urge to speak out, because this is not the time for us to lecture. It is time for us to listen. It is time for America to examine our tragic failures -- and as we do, we will also see some of our redeeming strengths," the statement said.READ: Former President George W. Bushs statement on the death of George Floyd The remarks come as widespread protests -- some of which have at times turned...
    Former President George W. Bush on Wednesday broke his silence on the death of George Floyd, saying that he was “anguished” by the incident and calling “for America to examine our tragic failures” when it comes to racial injustice. “We have resisted the urge to speak out, because this is not the time for us to lecture,” Bush said in a statement. “It is time for us to listen. It is time for America to examine our tragic failures – and as we do, we will also see some of our redeeming strengths.” He added: “This tragedy — in a long series of similar tragedies — raises a long overdue question: How do we end systemic racism in our society? The only way to see ourselves in a true light is to listen to the voices of so many who are hurting and grieving. Those who set out to silence those...
    Six nights of violent riots and looting in America's major cities, following the horrific death of George Floyd last week, have gripped the nation. The liberal news media wants to ignore the depth of the violence and the forces causing the violence. They want to simply rerun their permanent refrain that this is all about racism (see the Washington Post story that “Racial inequality in Minneapolis is Among the Worst in the Nation” as an example). The news media will resist deeply the idea that Antifa is a factor and that the violence is designed to hurt America. JIM HANSON: TRUMP'S ANTIFA DECLARATION – THIS IS HOW IT HELPS US FIGHT BACK The depth of hostility to President Trump was never clearer than in the hostile media coverage of Monday’s Rose Garden speech and the subsequent visit to St. John’s Episcopal Church. Here was the president of the United States speaking after six...
    (CNN)As a 47-year-old African American, I received news of George Floyd's tragic death as a painful reminder of my own personal vulnerability. When I was a black child growing up in New York City during the 1980s and 1990s, racial divisions were a prominent part of the social, political and cultural landscape that shaped my early life and my generation. Peniel JosephWe were told vivid stories by schoolteachers, via television documentaries and politicians of the way in which the civil rights movement transformed America by ending racial segregation, securing black voting rights and moving the nation closer to Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.'s vision of a "beloved community."My first encounter with the fear and loathing that black men could inspire in white people was both political and painful. In 1986, I started attending an overwhelming white high school in Queens. My freshman year was the first time a white person...
    Joe Biden’s speech reacting to the violence that has overtaken the country following the death of George Floyd was nothing more than "campaign claptrap," former deputy White House chief of staff and Fox News contributor Karl Rove said Tuesday. "The speech has moments of eloquence in it, but it was a campaign speech," Rove told "Bill Hemmer Reports." "That was the problem. About four minutes into the speech, he starts going after President Trump by name. "What America wanted to hear was a voice of unity. They didn’t want to hear campaign claptrap -- and it was," Rove explained. MARK CUBAN: BIDEN SHOWING 'EMPATHY' TOWARDS PROTESTERS IS CONTRAST WITH TRUMP Biden called the protests sparked by Floyd’s death “a wake-up call for our nation” and vowed to reverse the nation’s “systemic racism with long-overdue concrete changes.” In a 20-minute speech, the former vice president slammed President Trump as being “more interested in serving the passions of his base than the needs of the people in his care” and charged that the president “is part...
    Sen. Ted Cruz, R-Texas, told “Outnumbered Overtime” on Tuesday that “rioting should not be tolerated” and called the violence that has taken place across the country over the past few days “a terrorist assault on our country.” Cruz made the comments reacting to a Wall Street Journal editorial warning President Trump that activating the U.S. military could backfire. “U.S. soldiers are trained for combat against a foreign enemy, not for riot control against Americans,” the editorial board wrote. “The risk of mistakes would be high, and Mr. Trump would be blamed for any bloodshed from civilian clashes with troops.” VideoThe editorial titled “Don’t Call in the troops” was published on Monday after Trump threatened to deploy the military if states don’t send in the National Guard to violent demonstrations. Protests were sparked by the May 25 death of George Floyd, a black man who died after a Minneapolis cop, Derek Chauvin, was seen kneeling on...
    Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell on Tuesday said Congress “may have a role” in addressing the issues of police accountability and racial tensions as unrest continues to spur protests across the country. “This is a vexing issue. If we could have figured out exactly what to do, I think we would have done it years ago,” Mr. McConnell told reporters. “There is no question that there is residual racism in America,” he added. “It’s been a longtime dilemma, and we all wish we could get to a better place.” TOP STORIES Van Jones: Forget the KKK, its the white, liberal Hillary Clinton supporter we should worry about Archbishop slams Trumps baffling visit to John Paul II shrine after Mondays chaos Michigan Democratic Party chair: If you support Donald Trump, you are a racist Mr. McConnell acknowledged the “outrage” that has sparked after George Floyd, an unarmed black man, was...
    (CNN)Another black man lies dead, a consequence of an officer of the law's excessive use of force. As his life ebbed away, George Floyd uttered the same desperate words as Eric Garner had almost six years ago: "I can't breathe." Neither Garner's plea nor Floyd's appeared to have any affect on the actions of officers involved. And so we return to an all-too-familiar scene: a black man accused of committing a petty crime rendered powerless and dying in the street.Rabbi Shai HeldQuestions of racial justice are often complex. Good people can struggle with how to redress past injustices without perpetuating new ones. They can have doubts about whether a given policy will alleviate a social problem or exacerbate it. But questions of racial justice often begin, or ought to, with something basic and elemental: Do we believe -- I mean truly believe -- that all human beings are equal? Do...
    WASHINGTON (CNN)In the last 25 years, partisanship in America has become more closely tied to demographics, according to a new analysis of survey data since 1994 from the Pew Research Center. Should current trends continue, the country's shifting makeup over time points to an electorate that may continue to favor the Democratic Party in overall numbers, even as the Republican Party has made up some ground lost in the early days of Donald Trump's presidency.Throughout 2018 and 2019, 33% of registered voters considered themselves Democrats, 29% Republicans and 34% saw themselves as independents. Republicans have gained three points since 2017, while Democratic affiliation has held steady. When partisans are combined with independents who lean toward each party, about half of voters (49%) are either self-identified Democrats or Democratic-leaners, while slightly fewer, 44%, identify with or lean toward the Republican Party. Democrats have outweighed Republicans among the nation's registered voters, according...
    When Alveda King reminded me that Martin Luther King Jr. and his fellow leaders brought their Bibles when they marched for our civil rights in the ’60s, the light turned on. The root cause of our current issues in America is much bigger than the evils of police brutality; we have allowed a widespread progressive culture to take hold that has abandoned the fear of God. That culture caused Minnesota leaders to ignore the actions of a rogue cop for over a decade. That, in turn, led to a police officer's actions, caught on video, which resulted in the death of an innocent man in broad daylight. BISHOP T.D. JAKES: RACE AND POLICING – CHURCH LEADERS MUST DRIVE NATIONAL CONVERSATION, ACTION PLAN Now, this same evil is causing some of America’s most admirable influencers to support and justify looting and rioting. It’s shameful.More from OpinionTucker Carlson: Our leaders have dithered and lied about the riots as...
    (CNN)For the better part of the last four decades, George F. Will has been at the intellectual center of American conservatism. Now he is calling for a full-blown rout of the Republican Party at the ballot box in November.While Will has harsh words for Trump -- "this low-rent Lear raging on his Twitter-heath has proven that the phrase malignant buffoon is not an oxymoron" -- he saves his true condemnation for the members of Congress who have enabled the President. THE POINT -- NOW ON YOUTUBE! In each episode of his weekly YouTube show, Chris Cillizza will delve a little deeper into the surreal world of politics. Click to subscribe! Writes Will:"In life's unforgiving arithmetic, we are the sum of our choices. Congressional Republicans have made theirs for more than 1,200 days. We cannot know all the measures necessary to restore the nation's domestic health and international...
    In recent days, all America has watched in horror as violent rioters have assaulted bystanders, smashed store windows and set vehicles ablaze in their sick quest to destroy all sense of peace and safety in our nation’s cities. These criminals have killed several of our fellow citizens and injured scores of others. When you look in their faces and listen to their verbal tirades, you detect a cocky and cruel disregard for human life among these marauding miscreants. You might recall seeing that same smirking snarl somewhere else — in the expression of former Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin, who has been charged with third-degree murder and second-degree manslaughter in the death of George Floyd. That’s because the menaces terrorizing our cities right now share much in common with the bad cops they claim to despise. EX-CINCINNATI MAYOR KEN BLACKWELL: LEADERS IN OUR CITIES HAVE A DUTY TO DO THIS Peaceful protesters and even those practicing nonviolent civil disobedience can lay rightful claim to...
    London (CNN Business)It could take the US economy most of the next decade to recover from the coronavirus pandemic, the Congressional Budget Office said on Monday.The CBO warns in a new analysis that the pandemic will reduce cumulative economic output over the next 10 years by $7.9 trillion, or 3% of GDP during the decade, compared to its projections from January. Without accounting for inflation, the damage totals $15.7 trillion, or 5.3% of GDP.The CBO said the revisions reflect expectations of reduced consumer spending caused by business closures and social distancing. In addition, the recent drop in energy prices is expected to "severely" curtail investment in that sector, the CBO warned.Recent legislation, which includes more than $2 trillion in stimulus, will only partially mitigate the economic fallout caused by the pandemic, the CBO said.The big caveat: The CBO cautioned that there is an unusually high degree of uncertainty around its...
    New York (CNN Business)Bank of America is donating $1 billion over the next four years to community programs and small businesses to help address economic and racial inequality that has been exacerbated by Covid-19.CEO Brian Moynihan said in press release Tuesday that "underlying economic and social disparities" were made worse by the pandemic and mentioned the nationwide protests sparked by the death of George Floyd in police custody has "created a sense of true urgency.""We all need to do more," he said. The billion-dollar donation is an expansion of the several hundreds of millions of dollars Bank of America donates to nonprofits and lends to small, minitority-owned businesses.Bank of America (BAC) said the money will expand health services, like vaccination clinics, in communities of color, "support" small businesses, and recruitment of new bank employees in economically disadvantaged communities.Read MoreBank of America's donation, which amounts to $250 million a year over...
    Burning down small, black-owned businesses is not the way for Americans to get justice for the death of George Floyd, Florida Republican congressional candidate Byron Donalds asserted Tuesday. In an interview on "Fox & Friends" with host Steve Doocy, Donalds explained that he posted a now-viral video to Twitter calling for peace because "it needed to be done" to try to help reunite the United States. WHAT IS ANTIFA, THE FAR-LEFT GROUP TIED TO VIOLENT PROTESTS? "It needed to be done because, listen, like everybody else...I think that what happened to George Floyd was an absolute tragedy. And, he was murdered. And, justice needs to be done. And, justice will be done," he promised. "But, what we can't do, what we should never do, is riot in our streets and burn down businesses because if we truly want justice we have to come together as one America." "We can't be divided. We can't target the very people who serve us in our communities and who...