Thursday, Feb 25, 2021 - 14:27:22
1000 results - (0.026 seconds)

on Trump’s:

WASHINGTON, D.C. (CNN/WJZ) — The unprecedented second impeachment trial of former President Donald Trump will take place under extraordinary security inside the US Capitol — a physical reminder that federal officials still believe threats to lawmakers and federal buildings are possible more than a month after the January 6 insurrection. Members of the National Guard still patrol the exterior of the Capitol complex — in some cases along 8-foot, non-scalable fences topped by razor wire. RELATED: Baltimore Officials Partner With Local Universities To Help With Vaccine Outreach Within the halls of the building, all nine House Democratic impeachment managers are flanked by a security detail as they walk to votes and take meetings around the Capitol. The managers were also assigned a security detail during last year’s impeachment trial. In addition, enhanced security measures around the US Capitol will remain in place due to the ongoing potential for violence by...
    Sen. Ben CardinBenjamin (Ben) Louis CardinMaryland senators push for permanent status for TPS holders House will have to vote on budget second time as GOP notches wins Coronavirus relief poses early test of Democratic unity MORE (D-Md.) said he is expecting the House Democratic prosecutors on Wednesday to try to prove former President TrumpDonald TrumpSchoen says Trump team will be 'very well prepared' after criticism Iowa Republicans seek to cut funding for schools with 1619 Project in curriculum Capitol rioter seen smoking in Rotunda arrested MORE intended to incite thousands of his supporters to attack the Capitol on Jan. 6.   “If I were to anticipate, you're going to get a chronology of starting before the election, after the election, leading up to the Jan. 6 rally, the Jan. 6 rally, what the crowd did, and how President Trump reacted. I think that's going to be the way to show intent,”...
    Madison Summers February 10, 2021 0 Comments Former President Donald Trump’s defense team found themselves under fire from Republican lawmakers, and apparently the former president was not very happy either. As the Senate kicked off the impeachment trial on Tuesday, the former president was able to catch moments on TV in between his scheduled meetings meant to keep him busy, according to The New York Times. Trump, who keeps hearings on in the background of meetings, was reportedly angry with his two lawyers during their remarks at Tuesday’s trial. He “was an eight” on a scale with 10 being the most furious. “Mr. Trump ended the day frustrated and irate,” Times reports, citing a person familiar with Trump’s reaction to the trial. While Trump has faced impeachment before, this time things are different. Throughout Trump’s presidency he has used social media, especially Twitter, to reach his followers and express...
    Wednesday on CNN’s “New Day,” Sen. Dick Durbin (D-IL) discussed the Senate impeachment proceedings from the day before. Durbin said he heard his GOP colleagues express their “disappointment” in the Trump legal team. He added they “expected a spirited defense” of Trump, “and it didn’t happen.” “What have you heard since last night from any Republican senators? We heard directly from Senator Bill Cassidy, who changed his mind on at least the constitutionality of it. And he voted with five other Republican senators to move forward. What else have you heard from Republicans?” host John Berman asked. “Disappointment,” Durbin replied. “They really expected a spirited defense of the president, and it didn’t happen. … I was taking notes — I have a good seat, you know — and I’m right in front there, and I wanted to take notes to follow, and I just gave up on Mr. Castor. I...
    Savannah Rychcik February 10, 2021 0 Comments Sen. Dick Durbin (D-Ill.) “gave up” on following former President Donald Trump’s attorney after he could not “understand his line of thinking.” During an appearance on CNN’s “New Day” on Wednesday, host John Berman asked Durbin what he has heard from Republicans about the proceedings. “Disappointment. They really expected a spirited defense of the president, and that didn’t happen,” Durbin said, adding, “I wanted to take notes to follow, and I just gave up on Mr. Castor. I couldn’t understand his line of thinking.” He suggested Castor could have been the “good cop” and Trump’s other attorney David Schoen was the “bad cop.” Watch his interview below: Republicans "really expected a spirited defense of the [former] President, and it didnt happen," @SenatorDurbin said about day one of the Senate impeachment trial. "I wanted to take notes to follow, and I just...
    Bruce Castor, one of Trump's defense attorneys, downplayed the criticism surrounding his widely panned performance on Day One of the Senate trial, telling reporters Wednesday morning that Trump's judgment is his sole concern.“Only one person’s opinion matters, and that’s what I’m going by,” Castor said shortly before the Day Two proceedings were set to begin.Asked if he plans to change his strategy on Wednesday, he answered tersely. "Not at all," he said.Castor launched Trump's defense on Tuesday, the first day of the former president's impeachment trial, with what appeared to be a rambling, hour-long speech that struggled to find a common theme and left senators on both sides of the aisle scratching their heads.Numerous reports have emerged that Trump, now living in Florida, was irate after watching Castor's performance.   Multiple people tell me Trump was basically screaming as Castor made a meandering opening argument that struggled to get at the...
    Council on Foreign Relations President Richard Haass on Wednesday announced that he has officially left the Republican Party, invoking a version of former President Reagan’s famous quote: “I didn’t leave the Republican Party; the Party left me.” Haass, a veteran diplomat who worked under multiple presidential administrations, tweeted Wednesday that he had changed his voter registration to "no party affiliation" after 40 years as a member of the Republican Party.  “I worked for Reagan & Bush 41 & 43. But today’s Rep Party no longer embraces the policies & principles that led me to join it,” Haass wrote.  “To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, I didn’t leave the Republican Party; the Party left me,” he added, referencing the reasoning Reagan gave after switching from the Democratic to Republican Party in 1962.  I changed my registration to "no party affiliation" after 40 years. I worked for Reagan & Bush 41 & 43. But today’s...
    MSNBC’s Hallie Jackson, Katy Tur, and Stephanie Ruhle repeatedly grilled Robert Ray, a member of Donald Trump’s defense team during his first impeachment trial, pushing the attorney to reveal his involvement in the current trial. Jackson began by asking Ray if he could have done a better job than attorney Bruce Castor, who stunned viewers of the trial with his rambling defense, questioning if he had been asked to return to the team. Ray said he was unable to disclose that information, but revealed he had no plans to visit Washington D.C. anytime soon. The attorney then noted that Trump will be acquitted either way, despite Castor’s presentation, citing the “merits” of the former president’s case. “Can you explain how whether you were asked to defend the president is privileged?” Tur asked, noticing that the information could only be privileged if Ray had current ties to Trump. “Does that mean that you’re currently working with the president?...
    Donald Trump Jr. blasted the impeachment process underway against his father and explained why he believes the plan is backfiring against Democrats. “It's actually, I think, showing, again, the American people how ridiculous it is, how far it's gone,” former President Donald Trump’s eldest son told Laura Ingraham on her Quake Media program on Tuesday. “And I think they're actually shooting themselves in the foot because I think they've lost all credibility to sort of be the arbiters of truth, because no one believes them to be truthful.” He continued: “They just realize that they're totally political, biased partisan hacks. And we've known that for a while. But they keep showing us how much worse it actually is than we could have even thought every day.” The former president's son pointed out past remarks from Democrats that many believe were incitements of violence, including a comment from Democratic Rep....
    Former President Donald Trump will not be allowed back on Twitter even if he runs for office in the future, a Twitter official said. The former president was barred from a litany of social media platforms following the deadly riot at the Capitol, which occurred on Jan. 6 as Congress was certifying President Biden's electoral victory. The former commander in chief has no avenue to regain his account on the platform even if he runs for president in 2024, Twitter CFO Ned Segal said. "So, the way our policies work, when you’re removed from the platform, you’re removed from the platform whether you’re a commentator, you’re a CFO, or you are a former or current public official. And so, our policies are designed to make sure that people are not inciting violence, and if anybody does that, we have to remove them from the service, and our policies don’t allow...
    WASHINGTON -- Dozens of civil rights and advocacy organizations are calling on the Biden administration to immediately halt federal executions after an unprecedented run of capital punishment under President Donald Trump and to commute the sentences of inmates on federal death row.The organizations, including the American Civil Liberties Union, The Leadership Conference on Civil and Human Rights and 80 others, sent a letter to President Joe Biden on Tuesday morning, urging that he act immediately "on your promise of ensuring equality, equity, and justice in our criminal legal system."Biden has been systematically undoing many Trump administration policies on climate, immigration and ethics rules. Although he is against the death penalty and has said he will work to end its use, Biden has not commented on what he will do with Trump's unprecedented push for the federal death penalty. The Bureau of Prisons carried out more executions under Trump, 13, than...
    REPUBLICAN Ted Cruz has blasted the "hypocrite" Democrats for "cheering on" Black Lives Matter and Antifa while accusing former president Donald Trump of inciting a riot. Cruz, the Texas Senator since 2013, revealed his thoughts just hours after the Senate voted 56-44 to continue with the former president's second impeachment trial and Trump's defense attorney's were criticized. * Read our Donald Trump impeachment live blog for the very latest news and updates on the former president... 7Cruz said he believed Trump's Tuesday impeachment hearing 'typified what we're going to see this week'Credit: Getty - Pool 7Cruz pointed out that Vice President Kamala Harris 'raised money to pay for the bail' of Minnesota demonstratorsCredit: Getty Images - Getty 7Ted Cruz blasted Democrats for 'cheering on' BLMCredit: Alamy Live News 7Cruz slammed anyone who takes part in violence, regardless of them being Republican or Democrats, engaging in 'unacceptable behavior'Credit: AFP or licensors Speaking with...
    Sen. Bill Cassidy, R-La., drew the ire of his state's Republican Party after he voted in favor of the Senate being constitutionally allowed to hear the impeachment trial of former President Donald Trump. Cassidy was one of six Republicans who supported moving forward with the trial, even though he voted against it when Sen. Rand Paul, R-Ky., brought a motion on the issue to the Senate last week. SENATE VOTES TRUMP IMPEACHMENT TRIAL IS CONSTITUTIONAL "The Republican Party of Louisiana is profoundly disappointed by Senate Bill Cassidy's vote on the constitutionality of the impeachment trial now underway against former President, now private citizen, Donald J. Trump," the Louisiana GOP said in a statement following Tuesday's vote. "We feel that an impeachment trial of a private citizen is not only an unconstitutional act, but also an attack on the very foundation of American democracy, which will have far reaching and unforeseen consequences...
    Two Republican senators on Tuesday blasted President Joe Biden for withdrawing a proposed rule that would require U.S. schools to disclose their partnerships with Confucius Institutes, which some U.S. officials and lawmakers have alleged serve as front groups for the Chinese Communist Party. Arkansas Sen. Tom Cotton and Florida Sen. Marco Rubio, both known as China hawks, criticized Biden on Tuesday following reports that the administration had withdrawn the rule, which the Trump administration proposed to the Department of Homeland Security and Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) on Dec. 31. A spokesperson for ICE confirmed to The Daily Caller News Foundation that the rule had been withdrawn from consideration. The spokesperson did not elaborate on the decision, but Biden has pledged to roll back many of President Trump’s immigration policies. (RELATED: Biden Administration Quietly Drops Trump Proposal To Track Chinese Influence In US Schools) “Confucius Institutes are front groups for...
    Sen. Dick DurbinDick DurbinSenate sets hearing for Garland's attorney general nomination Congress mulls tightening eligibility for stimulus checks Minimum wage push sparks Democratic divisions MORE (D-Ill.) said he had trouble following one of former President TrumpDonald TrumpSchoen says Trump team will be 'very well prepared' after criticism Iowa Republicans seek to cut funding for schools with 1619 Project in curriculum Capitol rioter seen smoking in Rotunda arrested MORE's defense attorneys, Bruce Castor, during the first day of the Senate impeachment trial on Tuesday and "gave up."  "They really expected a spirited defense of the president and that didn't happen," Durbin said of his Republican colleagues during an interview on CNN's "New Day" early Wednesday. "I wanted to take notes to follow, and I just gave up on Mr. Castor. I couldn't understand his line of thinking." Durbin said that he thought maybe Castor was "the good cop" and fellow Trump defense...
    Rep. Jamie Raskin speaks on the first day of former President Donald Trump's second impeachment trial Tuesday wasn’t officially the start of Donald Trump’s second impeachment trial—that would be today—but as a warm up round, it certainly served as a preview of what to expect. On Tuesday, both the House impeachment managers and Trump’s legal team got their chance to make a presentation to the Senate that was supposedly meant to address the question of whether the Senate could, constitutionally, proceed with Trump’s trial even though his time in office has expired. But both sides used the time to present something that was more of an abbreviated view of the case they’ll present over the next four days of trial. For House managers, that meant a powerful presentation filled with images of the assault on the Capitol and even their own personal stories of being driven from the chambers by...
    New York : Greg Rubenacker smoking in Congress Photo: US Attorney’s Office for the Eastern District of NY / Courtesy The FBI arrested Greg Rubenacker, a DJ from Long Island (NY), after identifying him as one of the robbers at the National Capitol because he published images of him smoking marijuana in the rotunda of the federal building. The announcement was made by prosecutors yesterday, the same day that the trial in Congress began of former President Donald Trump for his alleged incitement to insurrection January 6th, in opposing the electoral certification of Joe Biden. Rubenacker, a resident of Farmindale, was charged with disorderly conduct, among other charges, he noted. Pix11. He posted videos of himself storming the Capitol and smoking inside the rotunda, prosecutors said. He was the last arrested nationwide among dozens of Trump supporters identified in the assault on the Capitol, many...
    Armin Deroee measures his family’s separation in moments missed: graduations, Nowruz celebrations and the birth of his niece, Niki. For the last six years, he and his sister have been fighting for their parents to secure green cards — the final step before the elderly couple could leave Iran and move to California to be with their children. Their mother, Mina, received her immigrant visa in 2016. But their father, Ebrahim, was waiting on the results of a background check by U.S. officials when in 2017 the Trump administration passed its first version of a travel ban on Muslim-majority nations that included Iran. Like thousands of others, the 82-year-old physician was barred from entering the United States. “It’s not easy at all, and it has been a whole stress and pressure over the whole family,” said Deroee, an anesthesiologist in Visalia. “In March, my father got COVID while...
    This week, hosts Markos Moulitsas and Kerry Eleveld talked all things “(im)peach-y,” why Republican senators seem poised to once again protect Trump, and the tasks facing Joe Biden. For this episode, they were joined by political historian Kathleen Frydl, who talked about the potential for a transformative Biden presidency; and Joan McCarter, Daily Kos staff writer, who shared her thoughts on the difficulties the Senate faces with competing priorities thanks to the impeachment and senators’ regular work, as well as on Biden’s first few weeks in office. The big event looming over this whole week is Donald Trump’s second impeachment trial. With Republican senators once again lining up to stymie impeachment and protect Trump from facing real accountability, Markos wondered if they would “go down with this ship,” anticipating a kind of collapse of the Republican Party. Kerry replied: It’s a level of stupidity that, frankly, is jaw-dropping. But on top of that, the betrayal of the...
    The impeachment trial of former President Donald Trump will continue on Wednesday after the defense lost a vote that sought to stop the trial on constitutional grounds, as reported by the Associated Press. On Tuesday, Trump’s legal team of Bruce Castor and David Schoen had hoped that their argument that he could not constitutionally be convicted because he is no longer president would avert the trial, but the Senate voted to hear the case by a 56-44 margin. According to the report, the former president was not happy with the performance on Tuesday, and there are already calls for him to make some changes to his legal team. Wednesday will see each side present opposing arguments, with House Democrats serving as prosecutors and the Senate serving as the jury. On Tuesday, Democrats presented a clip of the violence at the U.S. Capitol on January 6, the event that led to...
    Shock during the impeachment to the former president of the United States, Donald Trump. During their first speech at the impeachment, the Democrats showed a video that reconstructed the assault on the Capitol last January, causing a great silence in the hemicycle while some Republicans looked away. It happened during the speaking time of legislator Jamie Raskin, the Democratic leader of the impeachment, in his attempt to show that Trump’s rhetoric fueled the violence of his loyal followers in the attack on the United States Congress, which left 5 dead. Raskin has asked his Republican opponents to be aware of the “cold and hard facts“That Donald Trump encouraged and that they reject his defense. In his judgment, continuing with that position” is an invitation for the president to do what he wants “and even use” violent methods “to keep from detaching himself from power. The video ...
    As former President Donald Trump’s second impeachment trial began Tuesday, all eyes were on one set of jurors: Republican senators who are up for reelection next year. Republicans need a net gain of only one seat to win back the Senate, now split 50-50 and under Democratic control because of Vice President Kamala Harris’s tiebreaking vote. But they are also defending 20 seats to the Democrats’ 14, with GOP-held seats in Ohio, Pennsylvania, and now Alabama opening up due to retiring incumbents. Republicans will try to hold seats in two states won by President Biden, while the Democrats are defending none in states Trump won last year. House Democratic impeachment managers don’t want to make it easy for Republicans to vote to acquit Trump, reminding them in an often emotional presentation of the terror they all felt as they fled the attack on the Capitol on Jan. 6. Trump is...
    Gunman kills one, injures four at Minnesota clinic; cops say suspect unhappy with medical care Union approves deal with Chicago schools to return to class Former SNL cast member said Trump loved his blatantly racist character on the show © Will Heath/NBCU Photo Bank/NBCUniversal via Getty Images via Getty Images Bobby Moynihan as Drunk Uncle, Colin Jost during "Weekend Update" in Studio 8H on May 20, 2017. Will Heath/NBCU Photo Bank/NBCUniversal via Getty Images via Getty Images An ex-SNL cast member said Trump loved his blatantly racist character, who was a Trump supporter. Bobby Moynihan's "Drunk Uncle" persona declared his admiration for Trump during an 2015 SNL episode. Moynihan said during "The Last Laugh" podcast that Trump apparently missed the joke. Visit Insider's homepage for more stories. A former cast member on Saturday Night Live said former President Donald Trump loved his blatantly racist character, whom he...
    (CNN)The House impeachment managers begin their two-day presentation Wednesday looking to convince skeptical Republican senators that former President Donald Trump was responsible for the deadly January 6 riot at the US Capitol where insurrectionists attacked the Capitol and disrupted the peaceful transfer of power.House Democrats' previewed their case against Trump on the trial's opening day Tuesday, playing a dramatic and visceral 13-minute video that interspersed disturbing video of the rioters breaching the Capitol, attacking police officers and invoking Trump's name with the President's January 6 speech and tweets.The video showed how managers are seeking to force senators to grapple with the damage and destruction the rioters caused as they tried to stop Congress from certifying Joe Biden's election win and endangered the lives of lawmakers and former Vice President Mike Pence."Senators, this cannot be our future. This cannot be the future of America," the House's lead impeachment manager, Rep. Jamie...
    Utah parents drop Black history curriculum opt out request Two killed as multiple bombs rock Afghan capital Americans angry they may no longer qualify for $1,400 stimulus checks, say it feels like a targeted attack on middle class Though she has kept her job as an executive assistant throughout the pandemic, Marie, who asked to be identified by her middle name to protect her privacy, says her budget has still been stretched thin. © Provided by CNBC The mother-of-two's employer reduced her salary by 15%, she no longer picks up extra income as a part-time Uber driver due to safety concerns, and she had to pay for her son's daycare to keep his spot despite the fact that he was at home with her at the beginning of the pandemic. She's accrued around $4,000 in debt over the course of the pandemic and is currently two months late on...
    Senator Ted Cruz has slammed Democrats as 'hypocrites' for their second impeachment push against Donald Trump, claiming they 'cheered on BLM and Antifa' while accusing Trump of inciting the fatal riot at the U.S. Capitol.  'The president's language at times is a little over heated. But if you look at the language he used, saying things like 'fight', saying things like 'go retake our country', if that is now incitement then we better prepare a long line to indict every candidate for office, anyone who's ever run,' Cruz said in an interview on Tuesday with Fox News host Sean Hannity. 'The president was careful to say that the protesters should be peaceful,' claimed Cruz, a Texas Republican, speaking after the first day of Trump's impeachment trial in the Senate.  He said that anyone who attacked police or engaged in violence during the January 6 riot should be harshly prosecuted, but...
    Bobby Moynihan as Drunk Uncle, Colin Jost during "Weekend Update" in Studio 8H on May 20, 2017. Will Heath/NBCU Photo Bank/NBCUniversal via Getty Images via Getty Images An ex-SNL cast member said Trump loved his blatantly racist character, who was a Trump supporter. Bobby Moynihan's "Drunk Uncle" persona declared his admiration for Trump during an 2015 SNL episode. Moynihan said during "The Last Laugh" podcast that Trump apparently missed the joke. Visit Insider's homepage for more stories. A former cast member on "Saturday Night Live" said former President Donald Trump loved his racist character on the show, whom the cast member played as a Trump supporter in one of his last skits on the show. Actor and comedian Bobby Moynihan appeared on an episode of "The Last Laugh" podcast released Monday. Moynihan was a part of the "SNL" cast for nearly a decade playing a variety of...
            by Pedro Gonzalez    In what CNN’s Chris Cillizza accurately described as a “gut punch” to the GOP’s Trumpian faction, the House Republican Conference decided against removing Representative Liz Cheney (R-Wyo.) for her vote to impeach former President Donald Trump. Republicans voted 145-61 on a secret ballot in Cheney’s favor. Cillizza zeroed in on Florida Republican Matt Gaetz, an ardent defender of the former president. “Make no mistake,” he wrote, “Gaetz, Trump, and the rest of that crowd wanted to make an example of Cheney. They, rightly, viewed her impeachment vote—and the ensuing controversy—as the first major battle for control of the post-Trump Republican Party.” He also notes that “Trump had released a poll last month purporting to show Cheney in trouble in Wyoming for her impeachment vote.” And according to The Dispatch’s Stephen Hayes, Trump was “calling R House members to encourage them to sack Cheney.”...
    Impeachment (impeachment) to former US President Donald Trump for your responsibility in the assault on the Capitol It began this Tuesday with a sharp contrast between the strategies of the prosecution and the defense, and with a vote in which the Senate declared that the process is legitimate and constitutional. Although the debate on the first day was focused on constitutionality, the Democratic legislators who serve as “prosecutors” in the impeachment trial did not want to waste time, and they began their argument with a projection of a 13 minute video on the assault on the Capitol and Trump’s harangues to his followers. The images were submitted by the leader of the prosecution team (the “chief prosecutor”), Democratic Congressman Jamie Raskin. For many legislators, senators and journalists who they lived the assault in person On January 6, it was not easy to relive the events through that video, and...
    Actors Daniel Wu and Daniel Dae Kim told CBS News on Tuesday that more action is needed from public officials to combat anti-Asian American rhetoric, after a string of attacks against elderly members of the community. Their plea follows a surge in attacks against Asian Americans, which have been linked in part to the coronavirus pandemic.  "We're looking for help from our [district attorneys]. We're looking for help from our community organizers. We're looking for help from our legislators and politicians," Dae Kim told CBSN anchor Elaine Quijano. More than 1,800 racist incidents against Asian Americans were reported between March and May of 2020, according to a United Nations report. The report linked the violence and other incidents to the coronavirus outbreak, which was first discovered in China.  "This is a growing problem," Dae Kim said. "These are numbers we've never seen before." Last month, three violent attacks targeting...
    Fox News senior political correspondent Brit Hume said Tuesday that the Democrats are intent upon impeaching former President Donald Trump because of their “loathing” for him. WATCH: “You cannot overstate the loathing in which the constituency of the Democratic Party holds Donald Trump,” Hume told Fox News host Mark Steyn, “and from the first day of his presidency, the attitude of the Democrats has been to resist, and they followed through on that by going after him in any possible way — including now impeaching him twice.” Hume said he doesn’t believe the Democrats really think they have “any better chance” of convicting Trump in a Senate trial than the Republicans thought they had of beating former President Bill Clinton. (RELATED: ‘I Have No Idea What He’s Doing’: Dershowitz Rips Trump Attorney During Defense Opener) “Impeachment, as you seem to have noticed, is an utterly political undertaking … The...
    The Biden administration quietly tossed a proposed rule that would have required U.S. universities and K-12 schools with foreign exchange programs to disclose any financial ties or other connections to Chinese state-run Confucius Institutes. The decision was met with swift backlash from Republicans, who, along with the FBI, State Department, and Education Department during the Trump administration, expressed concern about the potential for Chinese influence operations inside the United States with Confucius Institutes and Confucius Classrooms. Democrats, so far, have yet to react to the change. Former President Donald Trump's administration made the proposal, “Establishing Requirement for Student and Exchange Visitor Program Certified Schools to Disclose Agreements with Confucius Institutes and Classrooms," on New Year's Eve. But before the rule made its way to the Federal Register or went into effect, the Biden administration withdrew it on Jan. 26, less than a week after Inauguration Day. “ICE can...
    (CNN)The second impeachment trial of President Donald J. Trump is underway. It is only the fourth impeachment trial in US history, and the first time a president has been tried after leaving office -- as well as for a second time. The House managers prosecuting Trump will not make acquitting him easy for Republicans. Their opening -- in the very building that was the scene of the crime -- was effective and emotional. They began the trial, which today was focused on the constitutionality of an impeachment trial for a former president, with a shocking montage of video of Trump egging on supporters who quickly became rioters. The case to proceed with impeachmentYou can make video do whatever you want. But this was a remarkable presentation, which was followed by a Constitution- and history-heavy examination of why it's not only right, but necessary to hold these proceedings. It culminated with...
    By MELINDA DESLATTE, Associated Press BATON ROUGE, La. (AP) — Republican Sen. Bill Cassidy of Louisiana joined Democrats in voting against ending Donald Trump's impeachment trial Tuesday, a surprise reversal that Cassidy said was a response to the former president's lawyers doing “a terrible job” of arguing their case. Cassidy was among six Republican senators who sided with Democrats on the question of whether a former president can be tried after leaving office. The Louisiana senator's position was a switch from January, when he voted to end the proceedings on the grounds that they were unconstitutional. The vote drew swift criticism from Republicans in the senator's deeply conservative state. But Cassidy said Trump's attorneys didn't make their case. While the Democrats' impeachment managers were “focused, they were organized,” relying on precedent and legal scholars, Trump's team “was disorganized, random, had nothing," he said. "They talked about many things, but they...
    Photo credit: Drew Angerer, Getty Images Donald Trump’s impeachment defense got off to a “pretty rocky” and “inappropriate” start on the first day of his trial for inciting insurrection — and to give a sense of how bad things were for the former president, many of those dismal reviews came from Senate Republicans. Most notable among the critics was Louisiana Senator Bill Cassidy (R), who was so put off by the Trump’s team’s “disorganized” and “random” opening arguments that he switched his vote on the constitutionality of the Senate trial. But Cassidy was far from alone. Even die-hard Trump supporter Sen. Ted Cruz, who votedagainst the Electoral College certification of Joe Biden’s victory after the Capitol insurrection, publicly conceded that. Cruz acknowledged that he didn’t think that Trump lawyers Bruce Castor and David Schoen  “did the most effective job” compared to lead House Impeachment Manager Rep. Jamie Raskin (D-MD). “I don’t think the lawyers did the most effective job,” said Sen. Ted Cruz to @karoun when...
    (CNN)A wide array of Senate Republicans harshly criticized former President Donald Trump's defense team on the opening day of his second impeachment trial, arguing that Trump attorney Bruce Castor had delivered a rambling and unfocused argument in making the case that the proceedings are unconstitutional."I thought the President's lawyer, the first lawyer, just rambled on and on and on," John Cornyn of Texas, a member of Senate GOP leadership, said of Castor, adding that the lawyer "didn't really address the constitutional argument. Finally the second lawyer got around to it, and, I thought, did an effective job."Trump unhappy with his impeachment attorneys performance, sources sayCastor opened Trump's defense with a meandering presentation and warned that a second impeachment trial in 13 months would "open the floodgates" to future impeachments, even making the rhetorically unfounded suggestion that former Obama administration Attorney General Eric Holder could be impeached.Prominent Republicans argued on Tuesday...
    BATON ROUGE, La. (AP) — Republican Sen. Bill Cassidy of Louisiana joined Democrats in voting against ending Donald Trump’s impeachment trial Tuesday, a surprise reversal that Cassidy said was a response to the former president’s lawyers doing “a terrible job” of arguing their case. Cassidy was among six Republican senators who sided with Democrats on the question of whether a former president can be tried after leaving office. The Louisiana senator’s position was a switch from January, when he voted to end the proceedings on the grounds that they were unconstitutional. The vote drew swift criticism from Republicans in the senator’s deeply conservative state. But Cassidy said Trump’s attorneys didn’t make their case. While the Democrats’ impeachment managers were “focused, they were organized,” relying on precedent and legal scholars, Trump’s team “was disorganized, random, had nothing,” he said. “They talked about many things, but they didn’t talk about the...
    House Democrats on Tuesday launched their impeachment case against former President  Trump with a stirring video montage of violence and mayhem at the Capitol on Jan. 6 — a highly charged opening salvo, stripped of all subtlety, that at once implicated the former president in the deadly attack and heightened the pressure on Republicans to convict him. The 13-minute video, introduced by Rep. Jamie RaskinJamin (Jamie) Ben RaskinDemocrats say Trump impeachment defense 'wholly without merit' Sunday shows preview: Budget resolution clears path for .9 trillion stimulus; Senate gears up for impeachment trial READ: Trump attorneys deny request for impeachment testimony MORE (D-Md.), the lead impeachment manager, featured a sampling of Trump’s fiery rhetoric leading up to the deadly siege, mashed up with scenes of mob violence in and around the Capitol building in the subsequent hours. The extraordinary demonstration — violent, profane and highly visceral — set an early tone for...
    President Joe Biden, who campaigned on bringing unity to a painfully divided nation, isn't wasting his time going after Republicans or demanding punishment of his predecessor for allegedly inciting a deadly riot. He's leaving that to Congress.[ WATCH: Democrats' Graphic Trump Impeachment Video ]So minority Republicans are feeling left out and want to have a say in the COVID-19 relief package they think is too expensive? Biden magnanimously met with a team of Republican senators – then let congressional Democrats move ahead on a budget resolution that wouldn't require any GOP votes to pass. And when it comes to an unprecedented second Senate trial for Donald Trump, Biden is staying out of the theatrics and legal drama on the Hill. As senators and viewers around the country watched an emotional Rep. Jamie Raskin lay out his case against Trump, Biden was headed into a White House meeting with business leaders to talk...
    Former President Donald Trump's impeachment lawyer David Schoen argued that it would be unconstitutional for the Senate to try Trump for incitement of insurrection – claiming the process was fueled by 'base hatred' and a 'lust for impeachment.'   'This is a process fueled irresponsibly by base hatred by these house managers and those who gave them their charge, and they are willing to sacrifice our national character to advance their hatred and their fear that one day, they might not be the party in power,' Schoen told senators seated in the chamber at the start of Trump's trial Tuesday. At one point Schoen held up a copy of the U.S. Constitution, calling its emphasis on due process as its 'life breath.'  David Schoen, an attorney for former President Donald Trump, brandished Mao's little red book as he argued for due process in the Trump Senate impeachment trial Then, he...
    An unprecedented situation, the 100 senators who serve as jurors were thus the witnesses, and victims, of the attack. Dn a solemn atmosphere and under high security, the US Senate on Tuesday opened the second historic trial of Donald Trump, accused of having incited his supporters “to insurgency” before the bloody attack on the Capitol. Now living in Florida, the billionaire will not go to trial. And there is little doubt that he will eventually be acquitted. In great silence, the elected Democrats charged with the accusation crossed to the Senate the same corridors of the Capitol, the seat of Congress, where pro-Trump demonstrators had rushed on January 6, sowing chaos and forcing the evacuation of parliamentarians. An unprecedented situation, the 100 senators who serve as jurors were thus the witnesses, and victims, of the attack. After a prayer, they took their places for this doubly historic trial....
    In this photo from her Nov. 3 election-night watch party, Missouri Congresswoman-elect Cori Bush expresses thanks to her friends and workers at her campaign headquarters in St. Louis. (Photo by Michael B. Thomas/Getty Images) The constant threats from far-right extremists over the last four years was a culmination of sorts and became a grim reality on Jan. 6 when the United States Capitol was attacked by an angry Trump mob. Missouri Congresswoman Cori Bush agreed with my statement as we both have received threats from those who support Trump and his antipathy for people — particularly women of color — who question him or push for an agenda he does not support.   Read More: As Trump prosecutor, Rep. Stacey Plaskett gets her say on impeachment “To support a person, a personality … to fight for the honor of someone who lied to them — being the former president of...
    WASHINGTON — Dozens of civil rights and advocacy organizations are calling on the Biden administration to immediately halt federal executions after an unprecedented run of capital punishment under President Donald Trump and to commute the sentences of inmates on federal death row. The organizations, including the American Civil Liberties Union, The Leadership Conference on Civil and Human Rights and 80 others, sent a letter to President Joe Biden on Tuesday morning, urging that he act immediately “on your promise of ensuring equality, equity, and justice in our criminal legal system.” Biden has been systematically undoing many Trump administration policies on climate, immigration and ethics rules. Although he is against the death penalty and has said he will work to end its use, Biden has not commented on what he will do with Trump’s unprecedented push for the federal death penalty. The Bureau of Prisons carried out more executions under Trump, 13,...
    This Tuesday, the second ‘impeachment’ or impeachment of the former president Donald trump, a historic process because it is the first time that a second impeachment has been applied to a US president, and also because it is the first time that it is a president out of office. The assault on the Capitol on January 6 in which supporters of the former president took Congress on the day that the electoral victory for Democrat Joe Biden was confirmed, has marked a before and after in Trump’s departure from the White House. That day, the tycoon incited his followers to fight “with all their might” or else they would be left without their country. What is charged The resolution imputes to the president a crime of “incitement to insurrection” that cost the lives of five people and plunged the country into an unprecedented crisis just 10 days after the...
    Relations between the United States and China are at a low point in the post-Trump era, and nearly three weeks into his term President BidenJoe BidenDOJ dismissing suit against author of Melania Trump tell-all book Google expands election security aid for federal, state campaigns Biden backs House Democrats' proposed threshold for COVID-19 checks MORE has yet to talk to his counterpart in Beijing, President Xi Jinping. Biden has vowed to take a different approach to China than former President TrumpDonald TrumpDOJ to seek resignations of most Trump-appointed US attorneys: report Trump attorney withdraws request to not hold impeachment trial on Saturday Kinzinger in op-ed calls on GOP senators to convict Trump in impeachment trial MORE, who campaigned against China's trade policies and then blamed Beijing for the coronavirus that devastated the U.S. economy in Trump's reelection year. “I'm not going to do it the way Trump did,” Biden said about...
    PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — Former Montgomery County District Attorney Bruce Castor is defending Donald Trump during the former president’s impeachment trial in the Senate chambers on Tuesday. Castor started trending on Twitter as both sides of the aisle criticized his often rambling opening statement about the constitutionality of the trial. Trump was impeached by the House of Representatives for “incitement of insurrection” for his actions leading up to last month’s deadly U.S. Capitol riot. RELATED: New Jersey Man, Robert Schott, Creates 14-Foot Lincoln Memorial Snow Sculpture Outside Of Home During his remarks, Castor said House Democrats only impeached Trump because they didn’t want to face him politically again. “You will not hear any member of the team representing former President Trump say anything but in the strongest possible way denounce the violence of the rioters and those that breached the Capitol,” Castor said. In his often meandering remarks, Castor repeatedly praised...
    Rep. Jamie Raskin, the House’s lead manager of impeachment proceedings against former President Donald Trump, cited the terror experienced by members of his family during the Jan. 6 Capitol riot during a tearful argument in favor of conviction on the Senate floor on Tuesday afternoon. Raskin, 58, detailed his personal experiences on the day of the riot, which took place just days after his son Tommy’s funeral. The Maryland Democrat noted that his daughter, Tabitha, and son-in-law, Hank, accompanied him to the Capitol on Jan. 6 to provide emotional support as lawmakers met to confirm President Biden’s election victory. WHO IS SENATE PRO TEMPORE PATRICK LEAHY AND WHY IS HE PRESIDING OVER TRUMP IMPEACHMENT TRIAL?  Raskin’s family members were later trapped inside House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer’s office as pro-Trump rioters stormed the Capitol complex. The congressman noted that it was "too late" for him to reach his family. Video"All...
    Some of former President TrumpDonald TrumpDOJ to seek resignations of most Trump-appointed US attorneys: report Trump attorney withdraws request to not hold impeachment trial on Saturday Kinzinger in op-ed calls on GOP senators to convict Trump in impeachment trial MORE's most vocal critics in Hollywood are cheering on Democrats during his Senate impeachment trial. Several stars, all longtime and frequent critics of Trump, live-tweeted the second impeachment trial of the ex-commander in chief on Tuesday. The focus of the trial revolves around whether Trump incited the mob that rioted at the Capitol on Jan. 6, as lawmakers were certifying President BidenJoe BidenDOJ dismissing suit against author of Melania Trump tell-all book Google expands election security aid for federal, state campaigns Biden backs House Democrats' proposed threshold for COVID-19 checks MORE's Electoral College win. "Star Trek" alum George Takei shared a video that the House impeachment managers showed just minutes into...
    The charge against Trump is derived from his actions on January 6, when he urged his followers to march towards the headquarters of Congress | 02/09/2021 | ionicons-v5-c13: 52 | . | Washington.- The second impeachment the former US president Donald trump started this Tuesday in a Senate totally divided, so he will hardly be condemned for his responsibility in the assault on Capitol. The 100 senators will serve as jury of the one known in the United States as « impeachment« , and they will be in charge of assessing the accusation of » incitement to insurrection« against Trump for the irruption of a peat his followers in the Capitol, which left 5 dead. « The Senate meets as court of impeachment« said the Democratic senator Patrick Leahy, who chairs the process, at the beginning of the session at 1:00 p.m. local time (6:00 p.m. GMT). The session began with a vote on...
    Rep. Jamie RaskinJamin (Jamie) Ben RaskinDemocrats say Trump impeachment defense 'wholly without merit' Sunday shows preview: Budget resolution clears path for .9 trillion stimulus; Senate gears up for impeachment trial READ: Trump attorneys deny request for impeachment testimony MORE (Md.), the lead House Democratic impeachment manager, became emotional while presenting the case against former President TrumpDonald TrumpDOJ to seek resignations of most Trump-appointed US attorneys: report Trump attorney withdraws request to not hold impeachment trial on Saturday Kinzinger in op-ed calls on GOP senators to convict Trump in impeachment trial MORE in Tuesday's trial as he recounted his own personal experience in the Capitol on Jan. 6. "I hope this trial reminds America how personal democracy is. And how personal is the loss of democracy too," Raskin began. Raskin described how just one day before Jan. 6, his family laid to rest his son, Tommy — who died of suicide less...
    House GOP members are calling on the Pentagon’s watchdog to investigate the Biden administration’s decision to place the Trump administration’s pick for the top NSA lawyer job, Michael Ellis, on administrative leave, calling it political “retribution.” Ellis, a former counsel to Rep. Devin Nunes, when the California Republican led the House Intelligence Committee, was named NSA general counsel, a career position, a few weeks after President Biden defeated former President Donald Trump, but the NSA’s leadership resisted letting him fill the role, and the Biden team blocked him on Inauguration Day. Nunes, now the committee's ranking member, was joined by fellow Republicans in sending a letter to NSA director Gen. Paul Nakasone, asking for answers about why he attempted to block Ellis and calling on the Defense Department to expand an inquiry into Ellis. "The sad reality is that NSA — at the behest of elected Democrats...
    One of the House impeachment managers at former President's Senate trial on Tuesday pointed to a tweet the president sent after a mob attacked the Capitol, saying it "chills me to my core." Rep. David Cicilline (D-R.I.) highlighted the tweet as he and other impeachment managers sought to make the case to the Senate that Trump had incited a mob to attack the Capitol. Hours after the attack, Trump asked members of the mob to "go home with love and peace" and referred to them as "great patriots." He also wrote that they would "remember this day forever." “Every time I read that tweet, it chills me to my core,” Ciciline said. “The president of the United States sided with the insurrectionist, he celebrated their cause, he validated tier attack, he told them ‘remember this day forever.’”  The tweet was also featured at the end of a dramatic video House Democrats...
    White House press secretary Jen Psaki on Tuesday said President Biden is not weighing in on former President Donald Trump’s Senate impeachment trial because "he’s not a pundit," while maintaining that he will not watch the proceedings. During the White House press briefing Tuesday, Psaki was repeatedly pressed by reporters for commentary on behalf of the president regarding his predecessor’s second Senate impeachment trial — which began amid the briefing. WHO ARE THE DEMOCRATIC TRUMP IMPEACHMENT MANAGERS? "He’s not a pundit," Psaki said. "He’s not going to opine on the back-and-forth arguments, nor is he watching them." Psaki maintained that Biden has conveyed that Trump’s "words and his actions and of course the events of Jan. 6 were a threat to our democracy." "He ran against him because he was concerned that former President Trump was unfit for office, in part, because of his past history of invoking violence around the...
    More On: senate Trump’s second impeachment trial begins in Senate Rand Paul and Jim Jordan blast Dems for impeachment trial in op-eds Trump impeachment trial: Schedule, time, and how to watch Trump attorney withdraws request to pause impeachment trial Republicans on Tuesday announced selections for opposition leaders on the Senate’s evenly divided committees — leaning mostly on old hands who will face off against some new Democratic picks to lead the panels. Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-SC), who is known for readily bridging past political divides — as he did to work closely with former President Donald Trump — will be the top Republican on the Senate Budget Committee, which is being chaired by socialist Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders, an independent who caucuses with Democrats. Graham, like Sanders, is a veteran member of the committee. Sen. John Barrasso (R-Wyo.) will be the GOP leader on the Senate Energy and...
    The stunning 13-minute video montage of Capitol riots played at the outset of former President Donald Trump’s second impeachment trial on Tuesday, has sent shockwaves through social media. The footage was introduced by impeachment manager Rep. Jamie Raskin (D-MD). After the montage was played in the Senate chamber — a video which depicted shocking violence and chaos in the Capitol on Jan. 6 — the Maryland congressman argued that the case for Senate conviction ought to be open-and-shut. “The president was impeached by the U.S. House of Representatives on January 13th for doing that,” Raskin said. “That’s a high crime and misdemeanor. If that’s not an impeachable offense, then there’s no such thing.” The video generated shock and anger far and wide: This is still completely unbelievable and so traumatizing. — Yamiche Alcindor (@Yamiche) February 9, 2021 Did not expect this video to provoke as emotional a response as...
    Sen. John Kennedy, R-La., said on Tuesday that he does not believe former President Donald Trump will be convicted in the Senate and that his trial is a "poorly-camouflaged" attempt by the Washington establishment to equate Trump voters with the "nutjobs" that broke into the Capitol. Kennedy explained during an interview on "The Faulkner Focus" that while the Capitol rioters did not represent the Republican Party or a majority of their constituents, extremism exists on both sides of the political landscape. TRUMP LAWYERS RAIL AGAINST IMPEACHMENT TRIAL AS ‘POLITICAL THEATER’ ON EVE OF PROCEEDINGS "My Democratic friends are bringing a sword to these proceedings when what we need is a candle," said Kennedy in regards to the impeachment trial. He added that Republicans and Democrats need "tents with doors" to kick out people that perpetuate conspiracy theories and divisive rhetoric. Despite that, Kennedy acknowledged that individuals with...
    More On: joe biden Delta CEO blasts idea to require COVID tests for travel Biden’s son-in-law’s work reportedly raises ethical questions DOJ asks Trump-era US attorneys to resign Axios reporter reveals relationship with White House aide WASHINGTON — The White House on Tuesday declined to condemn calls for violence and unrest from Democratic lawmakers, saying President Biden would not “opine” on “back and forth arguments.” At a briefing on Tuesday afternoon as former President Donald Trump’s second impeachment trial was getting underway, White House spokeswoman Jen Psaki was pressed on how the Biden administration felt about incendiary rhetoric from Democrats in Congress. In their pre-trial brief, attorneys for Trump pointed to comments from Rep. Maxine Waters in 2018 who called for supporters at a rally to confront and harass Trump officials over their support of the child separation border policy — claiming Trump was the victim of a double...
    In a solemn atmosphere and under high security, the US Senate on Tuesday opened the second historic trial of Donald Trump, accused of having incited his supporters “to insurgency” before the bloody attack on the Capitol. Now living in Florida, the billionaire will not go to trial. And there is little doubt that he will eventually be acquitted. In great silence, the elected Democrats charged with the accusation crossed to the Senate the same corridors of the Capitol, the seat of Congress, where pro-Trump demonstrators had rushed on January 6, sowing chaos and forcing the evacuation of parliamentarians. An unprecedented situation, the 100 senators who serve as jurors were thus the witnesses, and victims, of the attack. After a prayer, they took their places for this doubly historic trial. It is indeed the first time that a former American president is targeted by an impeachment procedure...
    WASHINGTON (AP) — The Latest on former President Donald Trump’s second Senate impeachment trial (all times local): 1:40 p.m. President Joe Biden is planning to largely ignore the impeachment trial of his predecessor and plans to focus on the nation’s response to the COVID-19 pandemic. White House press secretary Jen Psaki on Tuesday said Biden would not be watching the trial of former President Donald Trump and would not “opine on back and forth arguments” taking place during the proceedings. Biden, and Psaki on his behalf, have for weeks steadfastly refused to address much of the trial, saying they believed the process had to be done but have avoided weighing in on the particulars. The White House has also made clear that it intends to focus on the business of government while the trial continues. Pushing for the passage of his COVID-19 relief package, Biden was to meet with Treasury...
    White House press secretary Jen PsakiJen PsakiThe Memo: Democrats, GOP face dangers from Trump trial Biden administration sends conflicting signals on school reopenings White House says Biden 'head nod' didn't signify shift on Iran MORE on Tuesday said President BidenJoe BidenDemocrats say Trump impeachment defense 'wholly without merit' A US-Israel defense treaty has benefits — and perils White House: Biden won't spend much time watching Trump impeachment trial MORE would not be weighing in on the arguments from either side in Trump’s Senate impeachment trial, reiterating the administration’s stance that it will take a hands off approach to the proceedings. “Joe Biden is the president, he’s not a pundit. He’s not going to opine on the back-and-forth arguments, nor is he watching them, that are taking place in the Senate,” Psaki said during the daily White House press briefing when asked about Trump’s planned legal strategy that in part cites examples of Democrats calling...
    Rep. Peter MeijerPeter MeijerHere are the GOP lawmakers censured by Republicans for impeaching Trump Conservatives, we can't revert back to the party of 'no' under Biden Kinzinger: Voting to impeach Trump 'could very well be terminal to my career' MORE (Mich.) was able to avoid a censure from Republicans in his home district on Monday following a deadlocked vote on a resolution to condemn the GOP congressman for voting to impeach former President TrumpDonald TrumpDOJ to seek resignations of most Trump-appointed US attorneys: report Trump attorney withdraws request to not hold impeachment trial on Saturday Kinzinger in op-ed calls on GOP senators to convict Trump in impeachment trial MORE last month.  The 11-11 vote by the state Republican Party's 3rd Congressional District Committee pitted Trump loyalists against Republicans condemning some representatives’ repeated unsubstantiated claims of widespread voter fraud in the 2020 election, The Detroit News reported.  Meijer was one of 10 GOP...
    “Good Morning Britain” host Piers Morgan went after former GOP vice presidential nominee Sarah Palin in a Tuesday interview after she refused to back down from unfounded claims of fraud in the 2020 presidential election.  “I say this with the utmost respect to you, you’re sounding totally bonkers,” Morgan said, as reported by Mediate. “And part of the problem for the Republican Party is that people like you, high-level members, high-profile members of the party are still perpetuating this utter load of nonsense.” Palin and Morgan went back and forth on the allegations, with the former Alaska governor, a vocal supporter of former President TrumpDonald TrumpDOJ to seek resignations of most Trump-appointed US attorneys: report Trump attorney withdraws request to not hold impeachment trial on Saturday Kinzinger in op-ed calls on GOP senators to convict Trump in impeachment trial MORE, saying there were many dead people who voted in the election, along with issues at polling...
    Miami : The Chamber of Senators gets ready to start the second impeachment trial against Donald Trump. Although the tycoon ceased to be president on January 20, Democrats and a large group of Republicans They want to prosecute him for the events that occurred on Capitol Hill, days before the billionaire left the White House. On Wednesday, January 6, Dozens of pro-Trump protesters stormed the headquarters of the United States Congress. They did so in order to prevent the electoral victory of Joe Biden from being certified, the Democrat who prevailed in the November elections and whose victory was denied by the former Republican president, with false claims of fraud. In the hours prior to the attack (which left a negative balance of five deaths), Donald Trump held a rally in which he asked his followers to “fight like hell”, in order to keep his presidency safe. That call...
    PBS correspondent and MSNBC political contributor Yamiche Alcindor said Tuesday during the network’s coverage of the second impeachment trial of Donald Trump that the comparison expected by Trump’s legal team of speeches given by Democrats to Trump’s on January 6 is not valid because those speeches did not result in a deadly riot. Alcindor said, “I’m really watching to see how much this becomes a personal reliving of what happened on January 6. You’re hearing from senior Democratic aides that they want this to feel like a violent crime trial. They want people to be brought into what happened at the Capitol. So that’s why they’re saying this is going to be this new evidence. I suspect some of that will probably be possibly videos that we haven’t seen before, talking to aides on Capitol Hill, they’re really feeling as though they need to remind people exactly what happened.” She...
    BOSTON (AP) — A civil liberties group is challenging a Trump-era immigration policy as it seeks to unite seven asylum seekers with their families in Massachusetts. The American Civil Liberties Union of Massachusetts, in a lawsuit filed Tuesday in Boston federal court, said the asylum seekers from Central America expelled last fall include an unaccompanied child fleeing Guatemala to seek safety with family in Massachusetts. The plaintiffs include two families sent back to the Mexican border. The suit challenges a rule imposed under former President Donald Trump that expelled asylum seekers from the southern U.S. border, on the grounds that they might exacerbate the coronavirus pandemic. The ACLU called on President Joe Biden to repeal the rule, saying it exploited a public health crisis to further Trump’s hardline immigration policies and "racial animus towards Central Americans and people of color.” The Department of Homeland Security, which is named in the...
    The House impeachment managers, who will begin laying out their case against former President TrumpDonald TrumpDOJ to seek resignations of most Trump-appointed US attorneys: report Trump attorney withdraws request to not hold impeachment trial on Saturday Kinzinger in op-ed calls on GOP senators to convict Trump in impeachment trial MORE on Wednesday, still haven’t made a decision on whether to call witnesses to the Senate trial, which could prolong it for days.   Senators on both sides of the aisle are anxious to get Trump’s second impeachment trial wrapped up in a week, and some even hope it can be finished over the weekend, but a decision to call witnesses could prolong it well into next week, when the Senate is scheduled to be on recess. Democrats are eager to return to work on a COVID-relief bill, which they hope to pass by March 14, when enhanced federal unemployment benefits...
    Donald Trump’s ex-lawyer had bought her silence in 2016 so that she did not talk about her alleged affair with the billionaire. Four years later, Michael Cohen had pornstar Stormy Daniels tell pornstar Stormy Daniels about this affair in a podcast, while apologizing for his past attitude. “I know that I have inflicted unnecessary suffering on you,” Michael Cohen tells Stormy Daniels during this conversation, posted on the night of Monday to Tuesday, between these two characters who marked the Trump presidency. “For that I am very sorry”. At the end of their exchange of almost an hour and a half, he adds: “Thank you for giving me a second chance”. Michael Cohen, who was 10 years during Donald Trump’s personal lawyer, was sentenced to three years in prison at the end of 2018, for having – among other offenses – paid $ 130,000 to Stormy Daniels in exchange...
    Former Republican Rep. Trey Gowdy slammed the second attempt to impeach former President Donald Trump and predicted that Democrats aren’t going to be successful. “I can tell you having done trial work, when you start the trial with half of the jury thinking you shouldn’t even be there, you’re not going to win,” Gowdy said on Fox News Monday in response to a question about the prospects of Trump being impeached for “inciting” the Jan. 6 Capitol siege. “None of those 45 will change their mind.” Forty-five senators supported Republican Sen. Rand Paul’s motion last month deeming the impeachment of a private citizen as unconstitutional. Gowdy said he believes Democrats chose the “dumbest of all impeachment articles” as a result of their haste to impeach the president, adding that House Speaker Nancy Pelosi is more concerned about the court of public opinion than the position of the 100 senators...
    Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer kicked off the day of the second impeachment trial of former President Donald Trump by brushing off calls to move on from the Jan. 6 Capitol invasion and promising that he can balance the Senate trial with confirming President Biden's nominees and working on another coronavirus relief package. "Those who say, 'Let's move on, that brings unity,' are false," Schumer said in a press conference Tuesday morning. "When you have such a serious charge, sweeping it under the rug will not bring unity. It will keep the sore open, the wounds open. You need truth and accountability." He said that some of the evidence that the House impeachment managers will present will be new, and he said that the decision on whether to call witnesses will be up to the managers. "It was said a few weeks ago in all the punditry...
    President Biden will travel to Wisconsin next week, marking his first administration-related trip outside of the Washington area and his home state of Delaware. Biden will be visiting Milwaukee on Feb. 16, the White House said in a brief statement. Details of the trip were not provided. Biden will participate in a televised town hall and take questions from voters, CNN announced shortly after the statement. Evening host Anderson Cooper will moderate the event, which will air at 8 p.m. EST on the cable network. A network spokesperson described the town hall as an "invitation-only, socially distanced audience" that will "follow Wisconsin's guidance and regulations to ensure a safe event." The new president has received both injections of a COVID-19 vaccine. Biden won the state in the presidential election last year by about 20,000 votes, flipping the state with 49.6% of the vote to Trump's 48.9%. A recount...
    CHICAGO (CBS/CNN) — Amid reports the Justice Department is expected to ask virtually U.S. attorneys appointed by former President Donald Trump to resign, Illinois U.S. Senators Dick Durbin and Tammy Duckworth are asking President Joe Biden to let Chicago’s top federal prosecutor stay on the job until a successor is in place. CNN reports the Justice Department is asking 56 Senate-confirmed U.S. attorneys appointed by President Trump to submit their resignations, while sparing two top prosecutors in Delaware and Connecticut overseeing two sensitive Trump-era investigations. Justice officials have scheduled a call with U.S. attorneys around the country to discuss a transition that is expected to take weeks. The Justice official didn’t say when the resignations would take effect. RELATED: Nicholas August Sentenced To 30 Years For Raping Woman During Rockford Bank Robbery Durbin and Duckworth issued a statement Tuesday morning urging Biden to let John Lausch, the U.S. Attorney for...
    On Monday, during an appearance on FNC’s “Hannity,” Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-SC) criticized Donald Trump’s impeachment, which is set to be underway on Tuesday. Graham lamented having to participate in the proceedings and warned impeachment would have a lasting impact on the country. “I got to listen to this crap,” Graham said. “So, I hope by Sunday or Monday, the trial will be over. Here’s what I can tell you — if the House managers want to call one witness, the defense is going to call all the people you named and then some. To my colleagues tomorrow, there are a hundred of us, what we do today is going to make history of the time America exists. What Democrats have done is basically declared war on the presidency itself. The impeachment in House took place without a hearing, without one witness being called, and without a lawyer for the...
    82 advocacy groups call on Biden to end executions after Trump's spree
    The Biden administration’s move to ask for the resignations of nearly all of the remaining Trump-era U.S. attorneys was met with yawns by many liberal media outlets despite those same outlets describing the normally routine move as controversial and “abrupt” four years ago. “Trump sparks new controversy with U.S. Attorneys dismissals,” an MSNBC headline read after former President Donald Trump’s Justice Department asked for the remaining Obama-era prosecutors to step down in 2017. MSNBC went as far as to speculate that the routine move could be a new “scandal” for the Trump administration. “Ten years after the last Republican White House had a U.S. attorney scandal, Donald Trump has one of his own,” the outlet reported. While MSNBC may have painted the move with alarm, the outlet was hardly alone in the tone of its reporting. “Anger mounts over handling of US attorney firings,” a CNN headline reported at the...
    Much has been said and written over the years about the post-Steve Jobs era of Apple and whether CEO Tim Cook’s operations-heavy approach to running the iPhone maker has proved more or less successful than Jobs’ at times cutthroat dealmaking and his obsessive, detail-oriented product development. It’s hard to argue now that Cook hasn’t taken Apple to all-new heights — the company is more valuable than it’s ever been, and the wondrous success of the iPhone over the last decade has allowed Apple to build hugely successful secondary businesses around the Apple Watch, AirPods, the iPad, and much more. But how exactly Cook, a logistics expert with deep ties to Asia and a much more measured temperament than his former boss, pulled this off is still a topic of debate — and the focus of a great new Businessweek story from Bloomberg’s Mark Gurman and Austin Carr. In...
    MEXICO CITY (AP) — The party of President Andrés Manuel López Obrador presented for public comment a proposed set of regulations on Twitter, Facebook and other social media companies. The new law proposed Monday by López Obrador's Morena party would open the companies to fines of up to $4.4 million for violating users’ right to free speech. The law would apply only to platforms that have over one million users in Mexico, apparently covering only sites like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, TikTok or YouTube. The proposal would allow anyone whose account is blocked or canceled to appeal the decision. The appeals would go first to the company’s own internal committees, which would have 24 hours to affirm or revoke the suspension. Users could then appeal to telecom regulators, and if they don't like that decision, they could then further appeal cancellations through Mexican courts. Sen. Ricardo Monreal, the party’s leader in...
    How’s this for political courage? On Jan. 6, the day of the violent, Trump-encouraged (at least), deadly mob assault on the U.S. Capitol, 139 Republican members of the U.S. House (out of 221 total House Republicans) voted to overturn the result of the 2020 election in which Joe Biden defeated Donald Trump. Despite that, the vote failed. (A much lower share of Senate Republicans — eight out of 51 — likewise voted against accepting the result.) A month later (last week), Reuters contacted the Republican congressmen and women who had voted that way, and asked them whether they still contend that Trump had actually beaten Biden, fair and square, and was being denied by nefarious parties and illegal actions the second term that he had had “honestly” won. Exactly two of those 139 House members said that yes, they still contend that Trump was the rightful winner of the election...
    An outsourcing-industry group has welcomed a Biden administration move to delay switching the controversial H-1B visa program from a lottery-based allocation to one based on wages. The administration of President Joe Biden last week announced it would allow the H-1B allocation lottery to go ahead this year while it considers a rule imposed in former President Donald Trump’s last days that would see the visas — intended for jobs requiring specialized skills and heavily used in Silicon Valley — handed to companies paying the most. “Prioritizing purely on wage levels has the potential to significantly damage some of the most innovative companies in the world along with many hospitals and health care providers, research facilities, universities and other petitioners,” India-based outsourcers association NASSCOM said in a statement. The group added that it would lobby the U.S. Department of Homeland Security on the matter. The Trump administration’s wide-ranging crackdown on the H-1B targeted...
    Reuters February 9, 2021 0 Comments Donald Trump’s historic second impeachment trial, on a charge of inciting last month’s deadly storming of the U.S. Capitol, opens on Tuesday with a debate over the constitutionality of trying a president after he has left office. Hundreds of Trump supporters stormed the Capitol on Jan. 6 after a fiery speech in which the then president repeated his false claims that his Nov. 3 election defeat was the result of widespread fraud and urging them to “fight like hell (or) you’re not going to have a country anymore.” The unprecedented scene, in which members of the mob attacked police, sent lawmakers scrambling for safety and briefly delayed Congress in formally certifying now-President Joe Biden’s victory, came after Trump spent two months challenging the election results. Five died, including a Capitol Police officer. The Senate trial follows only the fourth impeachment of a president...
    President Joe Biden will continue his strategy Tuesday of making a public display of his focus on the coronavirus – rather than the historic impeachment trial set to consume political Washington. The second impeachment of President Donald Trump on a charge of 'incitement of insurrection' begins in earnest Tuesday, as Democratic managers clash with the president's team over whether it is constitutional to try a former president. Biden, though, will be publicly showing his determination to boost the economy despite the pandemic that continues to ravage the nation. He will be joined by business leaders and Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen, at an event that kicks off less than an hour before the trial starts.  President Joe Biden will meet with business leaders and Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen Tuesday just as the Senate impeachment trial of President Trump begins in earnest 'In the afternoon, the President, the Vice President, and...
    The 'QAnon Shaman' Jacob Chansley was arrested on January 9 on six federal charges including violent entry and disorderly conduct on Capitol grounds for his role in the riots The lawyer for the so-called QAnon Shaman has blasted Donald Trump for his 'propaganda', insisting he did incite the Capitol riots last month and likened the former president to the infamous cult leader Jim Jones, saying he had 'millions' clinging onto his every word.  Defense attorney Albert Watkins made the comments during an appearance on CNN with Chris Cuomo on Monday night, the eve of Trump's second impeachment trial in the Senate for 'inciting insurrection'. Cuomo began the segment by reading a statement issued by the Shaman - real name, Jacob Chansley - earlier Monday, in which he expressed his 'disappointment' in Trump, adding he was 'wrong. Period,' to storm the legislature on January 6. 'I am deeply disappointed in...
    MEXICO CITY (AP) — The party of President Andrés Manuel López Obrador presented for public comment a proposed set of regulations on Twitter, Facebook and other social media companies. The new law proposed Monday by López Obrador’s Morena party would open the companies to fines of up to $4.4 million for violating users’ right to free speech. The law would apply only to platforms that have over one million users in Mexico, apparently covering only sites like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, TikTok or YouTube. The proposal would allow anyone whose account is blocked or canceled to appeal the decision. The appeals would go first to the company’s own internal committees, which would have 24 hours to affirm or revoke the suspension. Users could then appeal to telecom regulators, and if they don’t like that decision, they could then further appeal cancellations through Mexican courts. Sen. Ricardo Monreal, the party’s...
    As the Senate trial of former President Donald Trump begins on Tuesday, it will begin with a debate over the constitutionality of prosecuting a former president, as reported by the Associated Press. According to the report, this argument could prove to be influential on Republicans who are likely to vote for the former president’s acquittal but have concerns about appearing to condone his behavior that lead to his impeachment. Trump is facing a charge of “incitement of insurrection” for his role in the attack at the U.S. Capitol on January 6 in an effort to overturn the results of the 2020 presidential election. Trump’s defense team will launch their efforts by arguing that since Trump is no longer the president, he is not constitutionally eligible to be impeached. The argument has been echoed by Republican lawmakers including Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul, who forced a vote on the issue in January....
    A giddy Debra Messing hyped the upcoming Senate impeachment trial of Donald Trump in an Instagram conversation with attorney and frequent MSNBC contributor Neal Katyal during which they took turns declaring the former president unequivocally guilty. At one point, the left-wing Hollywood star claimed that Trump’s legal team has “no leg to stand on,” saying that their arguments are “bogus.” Debra Messing, who has promoted physical violence against Trump, allowed Neal Katyal to do much of the talking during their short Instagram conversation on Monday. The attorney, who was an Obama administration appointee, encouraged viewers to pressure their senators into supporting a “special verdict” that he said would make it difficult for Trump’s team to defend him. Katyal said a “special verdict” would effectively force the trial to consider two questions — did Trump incite violence on January 6, and is it legal to impeach a former government official. By...
    Donald Trump will closely track his impeachment trial this week from the comfort of his Mar-a-Lago residence as he prepares for a guns blazing return to politics after his almost assured acquittal. Trump is comparing the whole ordeal to his time as a TV personality, claiming the period between leaving Washington and waiting for the trial to conclude is like waiting for a new season of his show to start. 'He's compared it to that time in between seasons of 'The Apprentice,' building anticipation and wonderment for what's to come,' one adviser told Politico of his preparations for a 'second act.' As the Senate trial kicks off Tuesday afternoon, the former president will forgo his usual routine of hitting the links at his Palm Beach golf club and instead set up in front of the TV for the remainder of the proceedings, his aides say. Impeachment managers, led by Representative...
    Washington (CNN)Embattled Postmaster General Louis DeJoy has told those close to him he wants to stay in his role under the new president, two sources tell CNN, despite his troubled tenure at the helm of the US Postal Service and his background as a supporter and donor to former President Donald Trump.President Joe Biden faces mounting pressure from fellow Democrats to remove DeJoy, however, amid months of complaints over mail delivery delays -- including prescription drugs.Bidens First 100 Days Biden hopes Trump's impeachment won't derail agenda DOJ to ask Trump-appointed US attorneys to resign Democrats unveil $3,000 child benefit as part of Biden relief package DeJoy is still actively pushing ahead, and even plans to release a new 10-year plan for the agency in the next few days, several sources familiar with his plans tell CNN, and will meet with the Postal Board of Governors on Tuesday, when it...
    By MICHAEL TARM and MICHAEL BALSAMO, Associated Press WASHINGTON (AP) — Dozens of civil rights and advocacy organizations are calling on the Biden administration to immediately halt federal executions after an unprecedented run of capital punishment under President Donald Trump and to commute the sentences of inmates on federal death row. The organizations, including the American Civil Liberties Union, The Leadership Conference on Civil and Human Rights and 80 others, sent a letter to President Joe Biden on Tuesday morning, urging that he act immediately “on your promise of ensuring equality, equity, and justice in our criminal legal system.” Biden has been systematically undoing many Trump administration policies on climate, immigration and ethics rules. Although he is against the death penalty and has said he will work to end its use, Biden has not commented on what he will do with Trump’s unprecedented push for the federal death penalty. The...
    By Richard Cowan WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Donald Trump's historic second impeachment trial, on a charge of inciting last month's deadly storming of the U.S. Capitol, opens on Tuesday with a debate over the constitutionality of trying a president after he has left office. Hundreds of Trump supporters stormed the Capitol on Jan. 6 after a fiery speech in which the then president repeated his false claims that his Nov. 3 election defeat was the result of widespread fraud and urging them to "fight like hell (or) you're not going to have a country anymore." The unprecedented scene, in which members of the mob attacked police, sent lawmakers scrambling for safety and briefly delayed Congress in formally certifying now-President Joe Biden's victory, came after Trump spent two months challenging the election results. Five died, including a Capitol Police officer. The Senate trial follows only the fourth impeachment of a president in...
    (CNN)President Joe Biden had been in office less than a week when a federal judge issued a nationwide injunction blocking one of his first immigration-related actions. The order was a victory for Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton, who crowed "WE WON" on Twitter. In fact, Paxton, a controversial conservative Republican, had successfully gambled that his challenge would land before a judge appointed by President Donald Trump. And indeed Judge Drew B. Tipton -- appointed by Trump in 2020 -- delivered. The order is a potent reminder of the power of the judiciary to cripple a president's forward momentum on an issue. It also highlighted the fact that elections matter -- giving an incoming president the chance to create a lasting legacy. Trump, for example, was able to appoint 234 judges, including three Supreme Court justices. RELATED: Trump transformed the Supreme Court that mostly helped advance his agendaNow it's Biden's turn,...
    Donald Trump's impeachment trial begins on Tuesday, with his legal team setting out to argue both that the trial is unconstitutional and the former president blameless for the Capitol riot, and the prosecution painting a picture of a man whose words incited a mob to attack the seat of government in an insurrection that cost five people their lives. The nine Democratic impeachment managers for the House, which impeached Trump last month, argue that he alone was responsible for inciting the mob who interrupted the presidential electoral count. 'The evidence of President Trump's conduct is overwhelming,' the nine managers, who will serve as prosecutors, wrote in a brief. 'He has no valid excuse or defense for his actions.' Donald Trump is the first president in U.S. history to have been impeached twice by the House Trump's lawyers argue his January 6 speech is protected under the First Amendment...
    The best things to buy on Amazon this month South Carolina coach Dawn Staley pays tribute to late John Chaney with outfit Claudia Conway will appear on American Idol Claudia Conway, a TikTok star and the daughter of Donald Trump's former senior counselor Kellyanne Conway, will appear on American Idol's new season. © twitter The TikTok star and daughter of Kellyanne Conway was featured in a teaser for the show's Feb. 14 return. The teenager appeared in ABC's promos for the singing competition Monday night, which teased "big changes" and "bigger surprises" for season 19. In one clip, Conway introduces herself, leading judges Katy Perry and Lionel Richie to react in shock. Another video features Ryan Seacrest's voice-over introducing Conway as a "social media sensation," showing her standing in front of the judges. Claudia Conway will make her American Idol debut on the February 14th season premiere....
    Donald Trump's closest confidante in the Senate has accused Democrats on the eve of Trump's second impeachment trial of having 'declared war on the presidency itself', as reports suggested the former president is confident of being acquitted and focused instead on seeking revenge against Republicans who he believes betrayed him. Lindsey Graham, the South Carolina senator who is in regular contact with Trump, insisted that Tuesday's trial was damaging to the country. He said that Trump's January 13 conviction in the House was unfair because the 74-year-old was not given time to defend himself. 'What Democrats have done is basically declared war on the presidency itself,' said Graham, speaking on Sean Hannity's Fox News show. Lindsey Graham on Monday told Fox News' Sean Hannity the impeachment trial was 'crap' Graham and Hannity joked that the trial, beginning Tuesday, was farcical and ridiculous Trump, who is currently at...
    EFE videos Trump faces his second impeachment trial in Congress starting tomorrow Washington, Feb 8 (EFE) .- The second impeachment trial, known in the United States as “impeachment,” of former President Donald Trump will begin this Tuesday in a divided Senate that will hardly condemn him for his responsibility in the assault on the Capitol. The process will begin tomorrow at 1:00 p.m. (18:00 GMT) in the Senate, where the 100 senators will serve as jury. According to what was agreed on Monday between Senate leaders, Democrat Chuck Schumer and Republican Mitch McConnell, the first day will be dedicated to evaluating whether this impeachment is constitutional, something to which legislators will dedicate four hours of debate, followed of a vote on the subject. LEGALITY OF THE PROCESS A majority of experts in the Constitution have opined that the process is legitimate even if it can no longer result in the...